Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on superoxides in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Brennan L, Steinhorn R, Wedgwood S, Mata Greenwood E, Roark E, Russell J, et al. Increased superoxide generation is associated with pulmonary hypertension in fetal lambs: a role for NADPH oxidase. Circ Res. 2003;92:683-91 pubmed
- Sudhahar V, Urao N, Oshikawa J, McKinney R, Llanos R, Mercer J, et al. Copper transporter ATP7A protects against endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetic mice by regulating extracellular superoxide dismutase. Diabetes. 2013;62:3839-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, restoring copper transporter function is an essential therapeutic approach for oxidant stress-dependent vascular and metabolic diseases. ..
- Chen J, He R, Minshall R, Dinauer M, Ye R. Characterization of a mutation in the Phox homology domain of the NADPH oxidase component p40phox identifies a mechanism for negative regulation of superoxide production. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30273-84 pubmed..Both functions require the association of p40(phox) with p67(phox). ..
- Gordon L, Weiss D, Prachand S, Weitzman S. Scavenging of superoxide anion by phosphorylethanolamine: studies in human neutrophils and in a cell free system. Free Radic Res Commun. 1991;15:65-71 pubmed..These data underscore the importance of identifying the mechanism of inhibition of superoxide generation by putative inhibitors as being due to a direct cellular effect or to a scavenging property. ..
- Waypa G, Marks J, Guzy R, Mungai P, Schriewer J, Dokic D, et al. Superoxide generated at mitochondrial complex III triggers acute responses to hypoxia in the pulmonary circulation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;187:424-32 pubmed publisher..Acute hypoxia induces superoxide release from Complex III of smooth muscle cells. These oxidant signals diffuse into the cytosol and trigger increases in [Ca(2+)](i) that cause acute hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction. ..
- Ansenberger Fricano K, Ganini D, Mao M, Chatterjee S, Dallas S, Mason R, et al. The peroxidase activity of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;54:116-24 pubmed publisher..Here we report that MnSOD indeed possesses peroxidase activity that manifests in mitochondria when the enzyme is overexpressed. ..
- Guzman J, Sanchez Padilla J, Wokosin D, Kondapalli J, Ilijic E, Schumacker P, et al. Oxidant stress evoked by pacemaking in dopaminergic neurons is attenuated by DJ-1. Nature. 2010;468:696-700 pubmed publisher..Because drugs approved for human use can antagonize calcium entry through L-type channels, these results point to a novel neuroprotective strategy for both idiopathic and familial forms of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Hu G, Ye R, Dinauer M, Malik A, Minshall R. Neutrophil caveolin-1 expression contributes to mechanism of lung inflammation and injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L178-86 pubmed..Thus caveolin-1 expression in PMNs plays a key role in mediating PMN activation, adhesion, and transendothelial migration and in PMN activation-induced lung inflammation and vascular injury. ..
- Ghadge G, Lee J, Bindokas V, Jordan J, Ma L, Miller R, et al. Mutant superoxide dismutase-1-linked familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: molecular mechanisms of neuronal death and protection. J Neurosci. 1997;17:8756-66 pubmed..The results support the hypothesis that mutant SOD induced-neurodegeneration is associated with disturbances of neuronal free radical homeostasis. ..
- Qian F, Deng J, Gantner B, Flavell R, Dong C, Christman J, et al. Map kinase phosphatase 5 protects against sepsis-induced acute lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;302:L866-74 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that MKP5 is crucial to homeostatic regulation of MAPK activation in inflammatory responses. ..
- Musset B, Clark R, DeCoursey T, Petheo G, Geiszt M, Chen Y, et al. NOX5 in human spermatozoa: expression, function, and regulation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:9376-88 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings show that NOX5 is a major source of ROS in human spermatozoa and indicate a role for NOX5-dependent ROS generation in human spermatozoa motility. ..
- Murley J, Kataoka Y, Miller R, Li J, Woloschak G, Grdina D. SOD2-mediated effects induced by WR1065 and low-dose ionizing radiation on micronucleus formation in RKO human colon carcinoma cells. Radiat Res. 2011;175:57-65 pubmed publisher..SOD2 played an important role in the adaptive/delayed radioprotective response by inhibiting the initiation of a superoxide anion-induced ROS cascade leading to enhanced mitochondrial and nuclear damages...
- Pendyala S, Moitra J, Kalari S, Kleeberger S, Zhao Y, Reddy S, et al. Nrf2 regulates hyperoxia-induced Nox4 expression in human lung endothelium: identification of functional antioxidant response elements on the Nox4 promoter. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:1749-59 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results demonstrate, for the first time, a novel role for Nrf2 in regulating hyperoxia-induced Nox4 transcription via AREs in lung endothelium. ..
- Fukai T, Ushio Fukai M. Superoxide dismutases: role in redox signaling, vascular function, and diseases. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011;15:1583-606 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will discuss the development of future SOD-dependent therapeutic strategies. ..
- Wedgwood S, Lakshminrusimha S, Farrow K, Czech L, Gugino S, Soares F, et al. Apocynin improves oxygenation and increases eNOS in persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;302:L616-26 pubmed publisher..NADPH oxidase inhibition with apocynin may improve oxygenation, in part, by attenuating ROS-mediated vasoconstriction and by increasing NOS activity. ..
- Shenoy N, Gleich G, Thomas L. Eosinophil major basic protein stimulates neutrophil superoxide production by a class IA phosphoinositide 3-kinase and protein kinase C-zeta-dependent pathway. J Immunol. 2003;171:3734-41 pubmed
- Chalupsky K, Cai H. Endothelial dihydrofolate reductase: critical for nitric oxide bioavailability and role in angiotensin II uncoupling of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:9056-61 pubmed..This signaling cascade may represent a universal mechanism underlying eNOS dysfunction under pathophysiological conditions associated with oxidant stress. ..
- Chen J, Tang H, Hay N, Xu J, Ye R. Akt isoforms differentially regulate neutrophil functions. Blood. 2010;115:4237-46 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a predominant role of Akt2 in regulating neutrophil functions and provide evidence for differential activation of the 2 Akt isoforms in neutrophils. ..
- Qian F, Deng J, Cheng N, Welch E, Zhang Y, Malik A, et al. A non-redundant role for MKP5 in limiting ROS production and preventing LPS-induced vascular injury. EMBO J. 2009;28:2896-907 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results show an earlier unrecognized and non-redundant function of MKP5 in restraining p38 MAPK-mediated neutrophil oxidant production, thereby preventing LPS-induced vascular injury. ..
- Papatheofanis F, Barmada R. Increased superoxide anion production in polymorphonuclear leucocytes on exposure to isobutyl-2-cyanoacrylate. Biomaterials. 1992;13:403-7 pubmed..These findings suggested that the cytotoxicity of this class of adhesives may be associated with the formation of reactive oxygen intermediates...
- Cheng N, He R, Tian J, Dinauer M, Ye R. A critical role of protein kinase C delta activation loop phosphorylation in formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine-induced phosphorylation of p47(phox) and rapid activation of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase. J Immunol. 2007;179:7720-8 pubmed..We conclude that agonist-induced PKCdelta phosphorylation is a novel mechanism for NADPH oxidase activation. The ability to induce PKCdelta phosphorylation may distinguish a full agonist from a partial agonist for superoxide production. ..
- Gao X, Zhu X, Fu J, Liu Q, Frey R, Malik A. Blockade of class IA phosphoinositide 3-kinase in neutrophils prevents NADPH oxidase activation- and adhesion-dependent inflammation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6116-25 pubmed