Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Topic: risk factors
Publications473 found, 100 shown here
- Szmuilowicz E, Manson J, Rossouw J, Howard B, Margolis K, Greep N, et al. Vasomotor symptoms and cardiovascular events in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2011;18:603-10 pubmed publisher..Future studies will also be necessary to investigate whether VMS that develop for the first time in the later postmenopausal years represent a pathophysiologic process distinct from the classic perimenopausal VMS. ..
- Silverberg J. Association between childhood eczema and headaches: An analysis of 19 US population-based studies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;137:492-499.e5 pubmed publisher..Eczema is associated with increased headaches inÂ childhood, particularly in patients with severe disease accompanied by atopy, fatigue, and sleep disturbances. ..
- Liss D, Finch E, Gregory D, Cooper A, Ackermann R. Design and participant characteristics for a randomized effectiveness trial of an intensive lifestyle intervention to reduce cardiovascular risk in adults with type 2 diabetes: The I-D-HEALTH study. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016;46:114-121 pubmed publisher..05 for all characteristics above). The I-D-HEALTH study enrolled a diverse sample of adults with diabetes and offers a unique opportunity to evaluate the effectiveness of offering a community-based intensive lifestyle intervention. ..
- Davidson M, Tomassini J, Jensen E, Neff D, Polis A, Tershakovec A. Changing characteristics of statin-related cIMT trials from 1988 to 2006. Atherosclerosis. 2016;246:121-9 pubmed publisher..These trends are consistent with increased treatment and control of high LDL-C levels over recent years in clinical practice, and may influence the results of cIMT studies. ..
- Daviglus M, Liu K, Pirzada A, Yan L, Garside D, Feinglass J, et al. Favorable cardiovascular risk profile in middle age and health-related quality of life in older age. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:2460-8 pubmed..Favorable cardiovascular risk profile in middle age is associated with better quality of life and lower risk of diseases in older age. Moreover, the fewer the risk factors, the higher the quality of life. ..
- Park D, An H. Problems related to cervical fusion: malalignment and nonunion. Instr Course Lect. 2009;58:737-45 pubmed..As the frequency of cervical procedures continues to increase, it is paramount for spine surgeons to be aware of these complications and the various methods to treat them. ..
- Chandra R, Epstein V, Fishman A. Prevalence of depression and antidepressant use in an otolaryngology patient population. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;141:136-8 pubmed publisher..3%). Highest prevalence was found in patients with inner ear disease and sleep apnea. Depression may be a cause of significant comorbidity in patients with chronic otolaryngic conditions. ..
- Katz B, Shiraishi Y, Mears C, Binns H, Taylor R. Chronic fatigue syndrome after infectious mononucleosis in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2009;124:189-93 pubmed publisher..The goal was to characterize prospectively the course and outcome of chronic fatigue syndrome in adolescents during a 2-year period after infectious mononucleosis...
- Fink A, Sullivan S, Zerwic J, Piano M. Fatigue with systolic heart failure. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2009;24:410-7 pubmed publisher..Patients with HF experienced substantial fatigue that is comparable with cancer-related fatigue. Low physical functioning, depressed mood, and low hemoglobin level were associated with HF-related fatigue. ..
- Shah S, Thenappan T, Rich S, Sur J, Archer S, Gomberg Maitland M. Value of exercise treadmill testing in the risk stratification of patients with pulmonary hypertension. Circ Heart Fail. 2009;2:278-86 pubmed publisher..63). Reduced exercise capacity on exercise treadmill test is associated with worse hemodynamics and is a predictor of mortality in patients with pulmonary hypertension. ..
- Engelhard H, Villano J, Porter K, Stewart A, Barua M, Barker F, et al. Clinical presentation, histology, and treatment in 430 patients with primary tumors of the spinal cord, spinal meninges, or cauda equina. J Neurosurg Spine. 2010;13:67-77 pubmed publisher..3% and 5.6% of patients, respectively. CONCLUSIONS Data from this study are suitable for benchmarking, describing prevailing patterns of care, and generating additional hypotheses for future studies. ..
- Lindholm P, Annen K, Ramsey G. Approaches to minimize infection risk in blood banking and transfusion practice. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2011;11:45-56 pubmed..Several opportunities exist to further improve blood safety through advances in infectious disease screening and pathogen inactivation methods. ..
- Wilkins J, Lloyd Jones D. Are novel serum biomarkers informative?. Med Clin North Am. 2012;96:1-11 pubmed publisher..Continued basic science and population-based research into CHD biomarkers may help to further the capacity for CHD risk assessment. ..
- Jain A, Liu K, Ferrucci L, Criqui M, Tian L, Guralnik J, et al. Declining walking impairment questionnaire scores are associated with subsequent increased mortality in peripheral artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1820-9 pubmed publisher..Patients with PAD who experienced ?20.0 point declines in the WIQ stair climbing, distance, and speed scores had a higher rate of all-cause mortality compared with those with less declines in each WIQ score. ..
- Alonso A, Roetker N, Soliman E, Chen L, Greenland P, Heckbert S. Prediction of Atrial Fibrillation in a Racially Diverse Cohort: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The CHARGE-AF risk models adequately predicted 5-year AF risk in a large multiethnic cohort. These models could be useful to select high-risk individuals for AF screening programs or for primary prevention trials in diverse populations. ..
- Caruso F, Simões R, Reis M, Guizilini S, Alves V, Papa V, et al. High-Intensity Inspiratory Protocol Increases Heart Rate Variability in Myocardial Revascularization Patients. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;31:38-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that respiratory muscle training at high intensities can promote greater parasympathetic activity and it may confer important benefits during a rehabilitation program in post-coronary artery bypass grafting. ..
- Turnock B, Kelly C. Mandatory premarital testing for human immunodeficiency virus. The Illinois experience. JAMA. 1989;261:3415-8 pubmed..5% while increasing significantly in surrounding states. The authors conclude that mandatory or publicly supported HIV antibody screening in premarital and other low-prevalence populations is not cost effective. ..
- Bienias J, Beckett L, Bennett D, Wilson R, Evans D. Design of the Chicago Health and Aging Project (CHAP). J Alzheimers Dis. 2003;5:349-55 pubmed..The results from these waves must be combined for effective analysis of the relation among risk factors and incident disease. ..
- Pollack H. Changes in the timing of SIDS deaths in 1989 and 1999: indirect evidence of low homicide prevalence among reported cases. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2006;20:2-13 pubmed..5, P = 0.12). The stable age-at-death distribution of reported SIDS cases between 1989 and 1999 suggests that covert homicides are a small fraction of reported SIDS cases. ..
- Joslin C, Tu E, McMahon T, Passaro D, Stayner L, Sugar J. Epidemiological characteristics of a Chicago-area Acanthamoeba keratitis outbreak. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142:212-7 pubmed..67; 95% CI 3.05 to 17.52). AK cases are increasing in frequency. The increased rates are unevenly distributed in the study area. Further research is warranted to better understand the increase and unusual geographical distribution. ..
- Wilson R, Schneider J, Arnold S, Tang Y, Boyle P, Bennett D. Olfactory identification and incidence of mild cognitive impairment in older age. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:802-8 pubmed..Mild cognitive impairment (MCI) is often a precursor to Alzheimer disease, but knowledge about factors that predict its development is limited...
- Stayner L, Kuempel E, Gilbert S, Hein M, Dement J. An epidemiological study of the role of chrysotile asbestos fibre dimensions in determining respiratory disease risk in exposed workers. Occup Environ Med. 2008;65:613-9 pubmed..Additional studies are needed of other asbestos cohorts to further elucidate the role of fibre dimension and type. ..
- Elderd B, Dushoff J, Dwyer G. Host-pathogen interactions, insect outbreaks, and natural selection for disease resistance. Am Nat. 2008;172:829-42 pubmed publisher..The model is very general, and so we argue that natural selection for disease resistance may play a role in many insect outbreaks...
- Hijiya N, Ness K, Ribeiro R, Hudson M. Acute leukemia as a secondary malignancy in children and adolescents: current findings and issues. Cancer. 2009;115:23-35 pubmed publisher..More studies are needed to confirm this finding in the pediatric patient population. ..
- Morris M. The role of nutrition in Alzheimer's disease: epidemiological evidence. Eur J Neurol. 2009;16 Suppl 1:1-7 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on epidemiological evidence investigating the relationship between nutrition and AD, focusing particularly on the roles of dietary fats and antioxidants. ..
- Stamos T, Silver M. Management of anemia in heart failure. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2010;25:148-54 pubmed publisher..Ongoing large-scale trials will have the potential to provide such information in the future. ..
- Hawkley L, Thisted R, Masi C, Cacioppo J. Loneliness predicts increased blood pressure: 5-year cross-lagged analyses in middle-aged and older adults. Psychol Aging. 2010;25:132-41 pubmed publisher..The effect of loneliness on SBP was independent of age, gender, race or ethnicity, cardiovascular risk factors, medications, health conditions, and the effects of depressive symptoms, social support, perceived stress, and hostility. ..
- Kiernan D, Hariprasad S, Rusu I, Mehta S, Mieler W, Jager R. Epidemiology of the association between anticoagulants and intraocular hemorrhage in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Retina. 2010;30:1573-8 pubmed publisher..While the risk that discontinuing these medicines would pose to the patients' health may be too great to justify, ensuring that an appropriate medication dosage is maintained should be a priority within this patient population. ..
- Greenstein E, Passman R, Lin A, Knight B. Incidence of tissue coring during transseptal catheterization when using electrocautery and a standard transseptal needle. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2012;5:341-4 pubmed publisher..001). In an animal preparation, TSP at the level of the fossa ovalis using electrocautery and a standard open-ended Brockenbrough needle resulted in coring of the septal tissue in 35% of cases (33 of 96 punctures). ..
- Wimmer M, Laurent M, Haman J, Jacobs J, Galante J. Surface damage versus tibial polyethylene insert conformity: a retrieval study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:1814-25 pubmed publisher..In addition, awareness of the benefits and trade-offs with conformity may allow better matching of TKA design to patient. ..
- Yiin J, Daniels R, Kubale T, Dunn K, Stayner L. A study update of mortality in workers at a phosphate fertilizer production facility. Am J Ind Med. 2016;59:12-22 pubmed publisher..SMR results showed increased lung cancer and leukemia mortality in a full cohort of the phosphate fertilizer production facility. There was, however, no exposure-response relation observed among cases and matched controls. ..
- Weiner A, Conti R, Eggener S. National Economic Conditions and Patient Insurance Status Predict Prostate Cancer Diagnosis Rates and Management Decisions. J Urol. 2016;195:1383-1389 pubmed publisher..30, 95% CI 1.02-1.68, p = 0.037). National economic hardship was associated with decreased diagnosis rates of nonpalpable prostate cancer and increased conservative management. ..
- McDermott M, Polonsky T, Kibbe M, Tian L, Zhao L, Pearce W, et al. Racial differences in functional decline in peripheral artery disease and associations with socioeconomic status and education. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:826-834 pubmed publisher..Black PAD patients have higher rates of mobility loss and becoming unable to walk for 6 minutes continuously. These differences appear related to racial differences in socioeconomic status and physical activity. ..
- Dong X. The Association Between Physical Function and Elder Mistreatment Among Community-Dwelling Chinese Older Adults in the Greater Chicago Area. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:S90-S94 pubmed publisher..S. Chinese older adults in the Greater Chicago Area. Longitudinal studies are needed to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the pathways between PF and EM and its subtypes among Chinese aging populations. ..
- Rich S, Rubin L, Walker A, Schneeweiss S, Abenhaim L. Anorexigens and pulmonary hypertension in the United States: results from the surveillance of North American pulmonary hypertension. Chest. 2000;117:870-4 pubmed..Recently, fenfluramine appetite suppressants became widely used in the United States but were withdrawn in September 1997 because of concerns over adverse effects...
- Pulvirenti J, Glowacki R, Muppiddi U, Surapaneni N, Gail C, Kohl B, et al. Hospitalized HIV-infected patients in the HAART era: a view from the inner city. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2003;17:565-73 pubmed..Women were receiving HAART less often, independent of race and substance abuse. Aggressive programs are needed in high-risk populations to address substance abuse issues and to improve patient use of HAART. ..
- Burnet D, Cooper A, Drum M, Lipton R. Risk factors for mortality in a diverse cohort of patients with childhood-onset diabetes in Chicago. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:2559-63 pubmed..DKA remains a significant cause of death in young people with diabetes. Young people diagnosed at the threshold of adulthood are at increased risk for mortality. ..
- Naidech A, Garg R, Liebling S, Levasseur K, Macken M, Schuele S, et al. Anticonvulsant use and outcomes after intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke. 2009;40:3810-5 pubmed publisher..Levetiracetam was not associated with demographics, seizures, complications, or outcomes. Phenytoin was associated with more fever and worse outcomes after intracerebral hemorrhage. ..
- Fintel D. Oral antiplatelet therapy for atherothrombotic disease: overview of current and emerging treatment options. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2012;8:77-89 pubmed publisher..These considerations underscore the clinical need for therapies with a novel mechanism of action that may reduce ischemic events without increasing the bleeding risk. ..
- Barnes L, Lewis T, Begeny C, Yu L, Bennett D, Wilson R. Perceived discrimination and cognition in older African Americans. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2012;18:856-65 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that perceived discrimination may be associated with poorer cognitive function, but does not appear to be independent of depressive symptoms. (JINS, 2012, 18, 1-10). ..
- Ennis J, Worcester E, Coe F, Sprague S. Current recommended 25-hydroxyvitamin D targets for chronic kidney disease management may be too low. J Nephrol. 2016;29:63-70 pubmed publisher..Additional prospective trials seem appropriate to test the idea that 25-D levels around 40-50 ng/ml could be a safe and effective treatment target for secondary hyperparathyroidism in CKD. ..
- King A, Canada S. Client-related predictors of early treatment drop-out in a substance abuse clinic exclusively employing individual therapy. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2004;26:189-95 pubmed..Continued examination of ethnicity, gender, and other potential negative prognostic factors for attendance in various addiction treatment milieus may aid in provision of appropriate services especially for high-risk clients. ..
- Goldstein J, Huang B, Amer F, Christopoulos N. Ulcer recurrence in high-risk patients receiving nonsteroidalanti-inflammatory drugs plus low-dose aspirin: results of a post HOC subanalysis. Clin Ther. 2004;26:1637-43 pubmed..In this subgroup analysis in patients at high risk for recurrence of gastric ulcer, use of cotherapy with misoprostol 200 microg QID or lansoprazole 15 or 30 mg OD significantly lowered the risk for gastric ulcer recurrence. ..
- Min J, Spencer K, Furlong K, Decara J, Sugeng L, Ward R, et al. Clinical features of complications from transesophageal echocardiography: a single-center case series of 10,000 consecutive examinations. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005;18:925-9 pubmed..This single-center study demonstrates that TEE examinations are associated with a very low risk of esophagogastric trauma when performed in a safe setting by experienced operators. ..
- Veesenmeyer J, Hauser A, Lisboa T, Rello J. Pseudomonas aeruginosa virulence and therapy: evolving translational strategies. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:1777-86 pubmed publisher..Adjuvant therapies directed against virulence factors have the potential to improve outcomes in P. aeruginosa infections. ..
- Kim S, Dolecek T, Davis F. Racial differences in stage at diagnosis and survival from epithelial ovarian cancer: a fundamental cause of disease approach. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:274-281 pubmed publisher..2. The findings show that fundamental cause perspective provides a potential framework to explore subtleties in racial disparities, with which broader social causes may be accounted for in explaining post diagnosis racial differences. ..
- Dwivedi Y, Pandey G. Elucidating biological risk factors in suicide: role of protein kinase A. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2011;35:831-41 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest the interesting possibility that PKA and related signaling molecules may serve as important neurobiological factors in suicide and may be relevant in target-specific therapeutic interventions for these disorders. ..
- Voisin D, JENKINS E, Takahashi L. Toward a conceptual model linking community violence exposure to HIV-related risk behaviors among adolescents: directions for research. J Adolesc Health. 2011;49:230-6 pubmed publisher..However, most scholars have overlooked the potential importance of CVE in influencing such behaviors. This article presents new directions for adolescent research and HIV interventions on the basis of an integrated conceptual framework. ..
- Paskett E, Dudley D, Young G, Bernardo B, Wells K, Calhoun E, et al. Impact of Patient Navigation Interventions on Timely Diagnostic Follow Up for Abnormal Cervical Screening. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016;25:15-21 pubmed publisher..No effect was observed among high-risk women. These results suggest that patient navigation can improve timely diagnostic follow-up among women with low-risk cervical abnormalities, particularly in non-English-speaking Hispanic women. ..
- Qato D, Lee T, Durazo Arvizu R, Wu D, Wilder J, Reina S, et al. Statin and Aspirin Use Among Hispanic and Latino Adults at High Cardiovascular Risk: Findings From the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5:e002905 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the prevention of disparities in cardiovascular outcomes within the growing US Hispanic/Latino population. ..
- Myers C, Gopalka A, Glick D, Goldman M, Dinwiddie S. A case of negative-pressure pulmonary edema after electroconvulsive therapy. J ECT. 2007;23:281-3 pubmed..He recovered fully and received 43 subsequent ECT treatments without complication. This case illustrates the importance of taking steps to prevent airway obstruction as well as recognizing this rare but serious complication. ..
- Mehta R, Ward R, Chandra S, Agarwal R, Williams K. Evaluation of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Society of Nuclear Cardiology appropriateness criteria for SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Cardiol. 2008;15:337-44 pubmed publisher..Although the inappropriate studies showed less ischemia than other groups, especially in women, a substantial portion of these studies (32%) were abnormal. ..
- Wakschlag L, Kistner E, Pine D, Biesecker G, Pickett K, Skol A, et al. Interaction of prenatal exposure to cigarettes and MAOA genotype in pathways to youth antisocial behavior. Mol Psychiatry. 2010;15:928-37 pubmed publisher..Future research to replicate and extend these findings should focus on elucidating how gene x exposure interactions may shape behavior through associated changes in brain function. ..
- Muramatsu N, Yin H, Hedeker D. Functional declines, social support, and mental health in the elderly: does living in a state supportive of home and community-based services make a difference?. Soc Sci Med. 2010;70:1050-8 pubmed publisher..Political will is needed to prepare US society to collectively support community-based long-term needs, given the difficulty of preparing ourselves fully for common, but often unexpected, functional declines in later life. ..
- Meehan S, Kremer J, Ali F, Curley J, Marino S, Chang A, et al. Thrombotic microangiopathy and peritubular capillary C4d expression in renal allograft biopsies. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6:395-403 pubmed publisher..4%). PTC C4d may be a significant risk factor for early TMA, and TMA is associated with glomerular thrombi and neutrophilic capillaritis. TMA in allografts with suspected AMR may portend a higher risk of graft loss. ..
- le Grange D, Lock J, Agras W, Moye A, Bryson S, Jo B, et al. Moderators and mediators of remission in family-based treatment and adolescent focused therapy for anorexia nervosa. Behav Res Ther. 2012;50:85-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that patients with more severe eating related psychopathology have better outcomes in a behaviorally targeted family treatment (FBT) than an individually focused approach (AFT). ..
- Popovich K, Smith K, Khawcharoenporn T, Thurlow C, Lough J, Thomas G, et al. Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in high-risk groups of HIV-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1296-303 pubmed publisher..Examination of networks of individuals released from incarceration, both HIV positive and negative, is needed to assess the role of social networks in spread of CA-MRSA and inform prevention strategies. ..
- McColley S, Ren C, Schechter M, Regelmann W, Pasta D, Konstan M. Risk factors for onset of persistent respiratory symptoms in children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012;47:966-72 pubmed publisher..Risk factors previously reported for lower forced expiratory volume in 1?sec are also associated with earlier onset of persistent signs and symptoms of CF lung disease, but their impact varies. ..
- Brennan J, Kuhns L, Johnson A, Belzer M, Wilson E, Garofalo R. Syndemic theory and HIV-related risk among young transgender women: the role of multiple, co-occurring health problems and social marginalization. Am J Public Health. 2012;102:1751-7 pubmed..These findings provide evidence for a syndemic of co-occurring psychosocial and health problems in young transgender women, taking place in a context of social marginalization. ..
- Kim G, Ryan J, Archer S. The role of redox signaling in epigenetics and cardiovascular disease. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;18:1920-36 pubmed publisher..A fundamental question in the field of epigenetics is to understand the biochemical mechanisms underlying reactive oxygen species-dependent regulation of epigenetic modification. ..
- Nutescu E. Oral anticoagulant therapies: balancing the risks. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013;70:S3-11 pubmed publisher..New coagulation assays are in development for use in monitoring oral anticoagulant therapy. An individualized approach is needed to balance the risks for thromboembolism and bleeding in patients receiving oral anticoagulants. ..
- Chen P, Jacobson K. Longitudinal relationships between college education and patterns of heavy drinking: a comparison between Caucasians and African-Americans. J Adolesc Health. 2013;53:356-62 pubmed publisher..Conversely, African-Americans are likely to be more adversely affected than are Caucasians by college withdrawal. ..
- Dunlop D, Song J, SEMANIK P, Sharma L, Bathon J, Eaton C, et al. Relation of physical activity time to incident disability in community dwelling adults with or at risk of knee arthritis: prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2014;348:g2472 pubmed publisher..An increase in daily physical activity time may reduce the risk of disability, even if the intensity of that additional activity is not increased. ..
- Isakova T, Cai X, Lee J, Katz R, Cauley J, Fried L, et al. Associations of FGF23 With Change in Bone Mineral Density and Fracture Risk in Older Individuals. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:742-8 pubmed publisher..02; 95% CI, 0.86 to 1.22), and these findings were not modified by gender or CKD status. FGF23 levels are not associated with bone loss or fracture risk in older adults with low prevalence of CKD. ..
- Pant R, Patel M, Garcia Sayan E, Wassouf M, D Silva O, Kehoe R, et al. Impact of B-type natriuretic peptide level on the risk of left atrial appendage thrombus in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: a prospective study. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2016;14:4 pubmed publisher..08; CI, 1.02-1.14; Pâ€‰=â€‰0.005). BNP is predictive of SEC. However, it does not provide significant incremental value in the prediction of LAA thrombus. ..
- Spangler E, Brooke B, Beck A, Hoel A, Farber A, Goodney P. Design and initial enrollment in the Vascular Physicians Offer and Report (VAPOR) trial. J Vasc Surg. 2016;63:1121-5.e2 pubmed publisher..001). Although final results of the intervention on smoking cessation rates are still forthcoming, surgeon delivery of a brief, evidence-based smoking cessation intervention appears feasible for patients facing invasive vascular care. ..
- Vasa F, Molitch M. Endocrine problems in the chronically critically ill patient. Clin Chest Med. 2001;22:193-208 pubmed..Hyponatremia, a frequently encountered electrolyte disturbance, is evaluated best and treated according to volume status. ..
- Saclarides T. Rectovaginal fistula. Surg Clin North Am. 2002;82:1261-72 pubmed..Radiation-induced fistulas may be secondary to cancer recurrence, which must be excluded. If the patient is not a candidate for a radical resectional approach, fecal diversion alone should be performed. ..
- Hwang S, Zerwic J. Knowledge of stroke symptoms and risk factors among Korean immigrants in the United States. Res Nurs Health. 2006;29:337-44 pubmed..Lower knowledge among older adults and/or those who had hypertension is a particular concern because such individuals are at highest risk for stroke. ..
- Mattson C, Campbell R, Karabatsos G, Agot K, Ndinya Achola J, Moses S, et al. Scaling sexual behavior or "sexual risk propensity" among men at risk for HIV in Kisumu, Kenya. AIDS Behav. 2010;14:162-72 pubmed publisher..g. microbicide or vaccine trials), or in response to treatment provision (e.g., anti-retroviral therapy)...
- Liang H, Tomey K, Chen D, Savar N, Rimmer J, Braunschweig C. Objective measures of neighborhood environment and self-reported physical activity in spinal cord injured men. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008;89:1468-73 pubmed publisher..04-.49) than their counterparts. In men with SCI, lower PA is independently associated with having elevated triglycerides, metabolic syndrome, and high CRP. Additionally, lower PA is associated with higher neighborhood crime rate. ..
- Prabhakaran S, Silver A, Warrior L, McClenathan B, Lee V. Misdiagnosis of transient ischemic attacks in the emergency room. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;26:630-5 pubmed publisher..We found 3 clinical features that may be useful in the emergency room triage of transient neurologic attacks. Further study is needed to develop tools that can accurately diagnose TIA. ..
- Collins J, David R, Rankin K, Desireddi J. Transgenerational effect of neighborhood poverty on low birth weight among African Americans in Cook County, Illinois. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:712-7 pubmed publisher..3 (95% confidence interval: 1.1, 1.4). This study suggests that maternal grandmother's exposure to neighborhood poverty during her pregnancy is a risk factor for infant low birth weight among African Americans. ..
- Hou L, Wang H, Sartori S, Gawron A, Lissowska J, Bollati V, et al. Blood leukocyte DNA hypomethylation and gastric cancer risk in a high-risk Polish population. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:1866-74 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that interactions between blood leukocyte DNA hypomethylation and host characteristics may determine gastric cancer risk. ..
- Ingraham A, Cohen M, Bilimoria K, Raval M, Ko C, Nathens A, et al. Comparison of 30-day outcomes after emergency general surgery procedures: potential for targeted improvement. Surgery. 2010;148:217-38 pubmed publisher..Individual hospitals should examine their procedure-specific outcomes after emergency general surgery operations to focus quality improvement initiatives appropriately. ..
- Ruhnke G, Coca Perraillon M, Kitch B, Cutler D. Trends in mortality and medical spending in patients hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia: 1993-2005. Med Care. 2010;48:1111-6 pubmed publisher..To understand the effect of efforts to improve quality and efficiency of care in CAP, we examined the trends in mortality and costs among hospitalized CAP patients...
- WAITE L, Das A. Families, social life, and well-being at older ages. Demography. 2010;47 Suppl:S87-109 pubmed..Overall, these findings yield a mixed picture of gender-differentiated vulnerabilities balanced by proactive adaptation and maintenance of social and dyadic assets. ..
- Peljto A, Steele M, Fingerlin T, Hinchcliff M, Murphy E, Podlusky S, et al. The pulmonary fibrosis-associated MUC5B promoter polymorphism does not influence the development of interstitial pneumonia in systemic sclerosis. Chest. 2012;142:1584-1588 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the genetic and phenotypic heterogeneity of IP in general. ..
- Klempel M, Kroeger C, Bhutani S, Trepanowski J, Varady K. Intermittent fasting combined with calorie restriction is effective for weight loss and cardio-protection in obese women. Nutr J. 2012;11:98 pubmed publisher..05), in the IFCR-L group only. These findings suggest that IF combined with CR and liquid meals is an effective strategy to help obese women lose weight and lower CHD risk. ..
- Loa J, Dubenec S, Cao P, Milner R, Silveira P, Trimarchi S, et al. The Gore Global Registry for Endovascular Aortic Treatment: Objectives and Design. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;31:70-6 pubmed publisher..It will provide valuable real-world data on the use and durability of Gore aortic endografts in the treatment of a variety of aortic pathologies and devices deployed within and outside instruction for use. ..
- Erlandson K, Wu K, Koletar S, Kalayjian R, Ellis R, Taiwo B, et al. Association Between Frailty and Components of the Frailty Phenotype With Modifiable Risk Factors and Antiretroviral Therapy. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:933-937 pubmed publisher..The associations with ART require further investigation, and associations between frailty and modifiable factors provide targets for future interventions. ..
- Khavanin N, Qiu C, Mlodinow A, Vu M, Dorfman R, Fine N, et al. External validation of the breast reconstruction risk assessment calculator. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:876-883 pubmed publisher..Some weaknesses in certain models were identified as targets for future improvement. Taken together, these analyses validate the clinical utility of the BRA score risk models in predicting 30-day outcomes. ..
- Sharma L. Local factors in osteoarthritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2001;13:441-6 pubmed..Such strategies may be especially powerful for local factors, given the vicious cycles set in motion by these factors and the effect of these factors on neighboring joint-organ structures. ..
- Saclarides T. Current choices--good or bad--for the proactive management of postoperative ileus: A surgeon's view. J Perianesth Nurs. 2006;21:S7-15 pubmed..Clearly, all surgical team members are crucial in the optimal implementation of such multimodal approaches. ..
- Shega J, Hougham G, Stocking C, Cox Hayley D, Sachs G. Management of noncancer pain in community-dwelling persons with dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54:1892-7 pubmed..Those at greatest risk for insufficient analgesia were older, had moderate to severe dementia, and experienced impairments in activities of daily living. ..
- Dong X, Simon M. Is greater social support a protective factor against elder mistreatment?. Gerontology. 2008;54:381-8 pubmed publisher..41 (0.19-0.90)). Greater social support may be a protective factor against EM in this population. Prospective studies are needed to confirm this finding. Interventions that improve social support may prevent EM. ..
- Marciniak C, Korutz A, Lin E, Roth E, Welty L, Lovell L. Examination of selected clinical factors and medication use as risk factors for pneumonia during stroke rehabilitation: a case-control study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2009;88:30-8 pubmed publisher..It may be more that the underlying impairment, rather than the assessed interventions, may confer greater risk of pneumonia in the poststroke patient. ..
- Aggarwal N, Wilson R, Bienias J, De Jager P, Bennett D, Evans D, et al. The association of magnetic resonance imaging measures with cognitive function in a biracial population sample. Arch Neurol. 2010;67:475-82 pubmed publisher..These associations did not affect all cognitive domains equally but were more consistent with impairments in perceptual speed. ..