Experts and Doctors on nanotechnology in Evanston, Illinois, United States
Locale: Evanston, Illinois, United States
- Zou S, Maspoch D, Wang Y, Mirkin C, Schatz G. Rings of single-walled carbon nanotubes: molecular-template directed assembly and Monte Carlo modeling. Nano Lett. 2007;7:276-80 pubmed..The theoretical modeling shows that the strain energy of each SWNT is balanced by the energy difference between the van der Waals interactions of the tube with COOH and CH3 templates to produce the resulting ring structure. ..
- Cutler J, Zheng D, Xu X, Giljohann D, Mirkin C. Polyvalent oligonucleotide iron oxide nanoparticle "click" conjugates. Nano Lett. 2010;10:1477-80 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this approach should be generalizable to other azide-functionalized particles. ..
- Giam L, Massich M, Hao L, Shin Wong L, Mader C, Mirkin C. Scanning probe-enabled nanocombinatorics define the relationship between fibronectin feature size and stem cell fate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:4377-82 pubmed publisher..This powerful and versatile approach enables studies of many systems spanning biology, chemistry, and engineering areas. ..
- Guisinger N, Basu R, Baluch A, Hersam M. Molecular electronics on silicon: an ultrahigh vacuum scanning tunneling microscopy study. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;1006:227-34 pubmed..Direct charge transport measurements through individual TEMPO molecules on degenerately n-type doped Si(100) reveal room temperature negative differential resistance behavior for negative sample biases exceeding - 3 volts. ..
- Arnold M, Suntivich J, Stupp S, Hersam M. Hydrodynamic characterization of surfactant encapsulated carbon nanotubes using an analytical ultracentrifuge. ACS Nano. 2008;2:2291-300 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the results obtained here should aid in understanding the hydrodynamic properties of SWNTs and the interactions between SWNTs and surfactants in aqueous solution. ..
- Mirkin C, Stegh A. Spherical nucleic acids for precision medicine. Oncotarget. 2014;5:9-10 pubmed
- Kang W, Yavari F, Minary Jolandan M, Giraldo Vela J, Safi A, McNaughton R, et al. Nanofountain probe electroporation (NFP-E) of single cells. Nano Lett. 2013;13:2448-57 pubmed..Our experiments on HeLa cells confirm that NFP-E offers single cell selectivity, high transfection efficiency (>95%), qualitative dosage control, and very high viability (92%) of transfected cells. ..
- Sampath S, Basuray A, Hartlieb K, Aytun T, Stupp S, Stoddart J. Direct exfoliation of graphite to graphene in aqueous media with diazaperopyrenium dications. Adv Mater. 2013;25:2740-5 pubmed publisher..When mixed with powdered graphite at 23 °C, this behemoth of a molecular compound exfoliates graphite to graphene in water under mild conditions...
- Pozzi E, Sonntag M, Jiang N, Klingsporn J, Hersam M, Van Duyne R. Tip-enhanced Raman imaging: an emergent tool for probing biology at the nanoscale. ACS Nano. 2013;7:885-8 pubmed publisher..In this Perspective, we highlight recent advances and future applications of TER imaging as a technique for interrogating biology at the nanoscale. ..
- Damania D, Roy H, Kunte D, Hurteau J, Subramanian H, Cherkezyan L, et al. Insights into the field carcinogenesis of ovarian cancer based on the nanocytology of endocervical and endometrial epithelial cells. Int J Cancer. 2013;133:1143-52 pubmed publisher..We further show independent validation of the presence of cervical field carcinogenesis with micro-RNA expression data. ..
- Zheng D, Giljohann D, Chen D, Massich M, Wang X, Iordanov H, et al. Topical delivery of siRNA-based spherical nucleic acid nanoparticle conjugates for gene regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11975-80 pubmed publisher..SNA conjugates may be promising agents for personalized, topically delivered gene therapy of cutaneous tumors, skin inflammation, and dominant negative genetic skin disorders. ..
- Vega R, Maspoch D, Salaita K, Mirkin C. Nanoarrays of single virus particles. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2005;44:6013-5 pubmed
- Zhang K, Cutler J, Zhang J, Zheng D, Auyeung E, Mirkin C. Nanopod formation through gold nanoparticle templated and catalyzed cross-linking of polymers bearing pendant propargyl ethers. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132:15151-3 pubmed publisher..The transformations involved in the cross-linking process are unprecedented on the surface of a gold particle. A tentative cross-linking mechanism is proposed. ..
- Xiao J, Dunham S, Liu P, Zhang Y, Kocabas C, Moh L, et al. Alignment controlled growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes on quartz substrates. Nano Lett. 2009;9:4311-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide important insights into methods for guided growth of SWNTs, and possibly other classes of nanomaterials, for applications in electronics, sensing, photodetection, light emission, and other areas...
- Kong S, Sahakian A, Taflove A, Backman V. Photonic nanojet-enabled optical data storage. Opt Express. 2008;16:13713-9 pubmed
- Chai J, Liao X, Giam L, Mirkin C. Nanoreactors for studying single nanoparticle coarsening. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:158-61 pubmed publisher..The size of the resulting nanostructures can be controlled in the 2-10 nm regime. ..
- Chai J, Wong L, Giam L, Mirkin C. Single-molecule protein arrays enabled by scanning probe block copolymer lithography. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19521-5 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this approach to generate single-biomolecule arrays is, in principle, applicable to many parallelized cantilever and cantilever-free scanning probe molecular printing methods...
- Espinosa H, Juster A, Latourte F, Loh O, Gregoire D, Zavattieri P. Tablet-level origin of toughening in abalone shells and translation to synthetic composite materials. Nat Commun. 2011;2:173 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, lessons from this investigation may be key to realizing the immense potential of widely pursued nanocomposites. ..