Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular sequence data in Urbana, Illinois, United States
Locale: Urbana, Illinois, United States
Topic: molecular sequence data
Publications251 found, 100 shown here
- Hardin S, Duncan K, Huber S. Determination of structural requirements and probable regulatory effectors for membrane association of maize sucrose synthase 1. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:1106-19 pubmed..Moreover, transgenics with active SUS mutants altered in membrane affinity may be of technological utility. ..
- Karkhanis V, Boniecki M, Poruri K, Martinis S. A viable amino acid editing activity in the leucyl-tRNA synthetase CP1-splicing domain is not required in the yeast mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33217-25 pubmed
- Yew W, Fedorov A, Fedorov E, Almo S, Gerlt J. Evolution of enzymatic activities in the enolase superfamily: L-talarate/galactarate dehydratase from Salmonella typhimurium LT2. Biochemistry. 2007;46:9564-77 pubmed publisher..The promiscuous catalytic activities discovered for STM3697 highlight the evolutionary potential of a "conserved" active site architecture...
- Bae B, Sullivan R, Zhao H, Nair S. Structure and engineering of L-arabinitol 4-dehydrogenase from Neurospora crassa. J Mol Biol. 2010;402:230-40 pubmed publisher..The engineered LAD mutants with altered cofactor specificity should be useful for applications in industrial biotechnology. ..
- Agarwal V, Metlitskaya A, Severinov K, Nair S. Structural basis for microcin C7 inactivation by the MccE acetyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:21295-303 pubmed publisher..These studies provide a rationale for the observation that MccE(AcTase) can detoxify a range of aminoacylnucleotides, including those that are structurally distinct from microcin C7. ..
- Davis G, Bedzyk W, Voss E, Jacobs T. Single chain antibody (SCA) encoding genes: one-step construction and expression in eukaryotic cells. Biotechnology (N Y). 1991;9:165-9 pubmed
- Oger P, Kim K, Sackett R, Piper K, Farrand S. Octopine-type Ti plasmids code for a mannopine-inducible dominant-negative allele of traR, the quorum-sensing activator that regulates Ti plasmid conjugal transfer. Mol Microbiol. 1998;27:277-88 pubmed..We propose that trlR is a dominant negative allele of traR and that TrlR inhibits conjugation by forming inactive heteromultimers with TraR...
- Campbell J, Cronan J. The enigmatic Escherichia coli fadE gene is yafH. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3759-64 pubmed..Our prior genome array analyses showed that transcription of the yafH gene is controlled by the FadR regulatory protein. We now report direct experimental proof that yafH and fadE are the same gene. ..
- Hummon A, Richmond T, Verleyen P, Baggerman G, Huybrechts J, Ewing M, et al. From the genome to the proteome: uncovering peptides in the Apis brain. Science. 2006;314:647-9 pubmed publisher..This study lays the groundwork for future molecular studies of Apis neuropeptides with the identification of 36 genes, 33 of which were previously unreported...
- Lin Y, Lin L, Sriratana P, Coleman K, Ha T, Spies M, et al. Engineering of functional replication protein a homologs based on insights into the evolution of oligonucleotide/oligosaccharide-binding folds. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:5766-80 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, different models that attempt to explain how intramolecular and intermolecular homologous recombination can generate novel forms of SSB or RPAs are proposed...
- Dong Y, Butler E, Philp R, Krumholz L. Impacts of microbial community composition on isotope fractionation during reductive dechlorination of tetrachloroethylene. Biodegradation. 2011;22:431-44 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that different dechlorinators exist at the same site and can be preferentially stimulated by different electron donors, especially over the long-term (i.e., years), typical of in-situ ground water remediation. ..
- Laprise J, Yoneji S, Gardner J. IntDOT interactions with core sites during integrative recombination. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:1883-91 pubmed publisher..Base analog studies suggest that IntDOT may make specific contacts with the A residues in the major groove at positions -5 and +5. IntDOT interaction with the A at position -5 in the B core site is required for the first strand exchange...
- Oden K, Gennis R. Isolation and characterization of a new class of cytochrome d terminal oxidase mutants of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6174-83 pubmed..It is proposed that the N terminus of subunit II may interact with subunit I to form an interface that binds the b595 and d heme centers. ..
- You I, Ghosal D, gUNSALUS I. Nucleotide sequence of plasmid NAH7 gene nahR and DNA binding of the nahR product. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:5409-15 pubmed..1-kb HindIII fragment, produced a polypeptide with an Mr of 23,000, and pY1812, with the 1.2-kb PstI-SphI fragment, produced a polypeptide (Mr 41,000) which appeared to be a fused nahR-lacZ product...
- Krumholz L, Bryant M, Brulla W, Vicini J, Clark J, Stahl D. Proposal of Quinella ovalis gen. nov., sp. nov., based on phylogenetic analysis. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1993;43:293-6 pubmed..We propose the name Quinella ovalis gen. nov., sp. nov., with its description based on previously known features...
- Wu S, Kriz A, Widholm J. Nucleotide sequence of a maize cDNA for a class II, acidic beta-1,3-glucanase. Plant Physiol. 1994;106:1709-10 pubmed
- Bussey L, Switzer R. The degA gene product accelerates degradation of Bacillus subtilis phosphoribosylpyrophosphate amidotransferase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6348-53 pubmed..subtilis cells, however. We suggest that degA encodes either a novel protease or, more likely, a gene that stimulates production of such a protease. ..
- D Elia J, Salyers A. Contribution of a neopullulanase, a pullulanase, and an alpha-glucosidase to growth of Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron on starch. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:7173-9 pubmed..Our results show that the starch utilization system of B. thetaiotaomicron is quite complex and contains a number of apparently redundant degradative enzymes...
- Lombardo M, Lee A, Knox T, Miller C. Regulation of the Salmonella typhimurium pepT gene by cyclic AMP receptor protein (CRP) and FNR acting at a hybrid CRP-FNR site. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1909-17 pubmed..Although both CRP and FNR are capable of binding the hybrid site and activating transcription of pepT, CRP requires the consensus -10 sequence for efficient activation. ..
- Lichtensteiger C, Vimr E. Neuraminidase (sialidase) activity of Haemophilus parasuis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1997;152:269-74 pubmed..The role of sialidase in providing nutrients to H. parasuis may be an important factor in its obligate parasitism...
- Wu S, Thomas M, Hou S, Likhite V, Chiang C. Isolation of mouse TFIID and functional characterization of TBP and TFIID in mediating estrogen receptor and chromatin transcription. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:23480-90 pubmed..These findings clearly demonstrate an essential role of TAF(II)s as a transcriptional coactivator for estrogen receptor and in chromatin transcription. ..
- Xu E, Kim S, Replogle K, Rine J, Rivier D. Identification of SAS4 and SAS5, two genes that regulate silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1999;153:13-23 pubmed..Similarly, SAS5 is a member of a gene family that included two human genes that are the sites of recurring translocations involved in acute myeloid leukemia. ..
- Graham D, Bock C, Schalk Hihi C, Lu Z, Markham G. Identification of a highly diverged class of S-adenosylmethionine synthetases in the archaea. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4055-9 pubmed..This identification of a second major class of MAT emphasizes the long evolutionary history of the archaeal lineage and the structural diversity found even in crucial metabolic enzymes...
- Haller T, Buckel T, Retey J, Gerlt J. Discovering new enzymes and metabolic pathways: conversion of succinate to propionate by Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2000;39:4622-9 pubmed..The identification of YgfG as methylmalonyl CoA decarboxylase expands the range of reactions catalyzed by members of the crotonase superfamily. ..
- Benning M, Haller T, Gerlt J, Holden H. New reactions in the crotonase superfamily: structure of methylmalonyl CoA decarboxylase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2000;39:4630-9 pubmed..The new constellation of putative functional groups observed in the active site of MMCD underscores the diversity of function in this superfamily. ..
- Zielinski R. Characterization of three new members of the Arabidopsis thaliana calmodulin gene family: conserved and highly diverged members of the gene family functionally complement a yeast calmodulin null. Planta. 2002;214:446-55 pubmed..CaM9, and to a lesser degree CaM8, however, appear to represent Ca2+-binding sensor proteins that interact with a more limited set of target proteins than do more conventional CaM isoforms. ..
- Steenbergen S, Vimr E. Functional relationships of the sialyltransferases involved in expression of the polysialic acid capsules of Escherichia coli K1 and K92 and Neisseria meningitidis groups B or C. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:15349-59 pubmed..The combined results provide the first evidence for residues critical to acceptor binding and elongation in polysialyltransferase...
- Schnulle P, Hurley W. Sequence and expression of the FcRn in the porcine mammary gland. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2003;91:227-31 pubmed..These results indicate that the FcRn is expressed in porcine mammary tissue and are consistent with the hypothesis that FcRn may have a role in mammary gland immunoglobulin transport during colostrogenesis. ..
- Chan Y, Blaschek H. Comparative analysis of Shigella boydii 18 foodborne outbreak isolate and related enteric bacteria: role of rpoS and adiA in acid stress response. J Food Prot. 2005;68:521-7 pubmed..coli. Sequencing of the rpoS gene from the S. boydii outbreak strain indicates that it is 99% conserved compared with the E. coli K-12 rpoS gene and plays a vital role in survival under acidic conditions...
- Bachmann R, Kim J, Wu A, Park I, Chen J. A nuclear transport signal in mammalian target of rapamycin is critical for its cytoplasmic signaling to S6 kinase 1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:7357-63 pubmed..Taken together, our observations suggest the existence of a nuclear shuttling signal in mTOR and provide definitive evidence for the requirement of mTOR nuclear import in its cytoplasmic signaling to S6K1. ..
- Noel G, Atibalentja N. 'Candidatus Paenicardinium endonii', an endosymbiont of the plant-parasitic nematode Heterodera glycines (Nemata: Tylenchida), affiliated to the phylum Bacteroidetes. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2006;56:1697-702 pubmed..hertigii". Thus, the name "Candidatus Paenicardinium endonii" is proposed for the bacterial endosymbiont of the plant-parasitic nematode H. glycines. ..
- Belton R, Chen L, Mesquita F, Nowak R. Basigin-2 is a cell surface receptor for soluble basigin ligand. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:17805-14 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that cell surface basigin functions as a membrane receptor for soluble basigin and this homophilic interaction is not dependent upon glycosylation of the basigin ligand. ..
- Thekke Veetil T, Hobbs H, Domier L. Sequence diversity of readthrough proteins of Soybean dwarf virus isolates from the Midwestern United States. Arch Virol. 2009;154:861-6 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analysis of both amino acid and nucleotide sequences showed three distinct clusters of SbDV isolates. ..
- Christensen Q, Cronan J. The Thermoplasma acidophilum LplA-LplB complex defines a new class of bipartite lipoate-protein ligases. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:21317-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that the presence of an accessory domain provides a diagnostic to distinguish lipoyl ligase homologues from other members of the lipoate/biotin attachment enzyme family...
- Feng Y, Cronan J. A new member of the Escherichia coli fad regulon: transcriptional regulation of fadM (ybaW). J Bacteriol. 2009;191:6320-8 pubmed publisher..Although the gene is not essential for growth, the high basal level of fadM expression under diverse growth conditions suggests that the encoded thioesterase has functions in addition to beta-oxidation. ..
- Yoshida S, Hespen C, Beverly R, Mackie R, Cann I. Domain analysis of a modular alpha-L-Arabinofuranosidase with a unique carbohydrate binding strategy from the fiber-degrading bacterium Fibrobacter succinogenes S85. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:5424-36 pubmed publisher..These analyses showed that in GH43 members with a XX domain, the two modules have coevolved and that the length of a loop within the XX domain may serve as an important determinant of substrate specificity...
- Bhattacharya S, Derrington I, Pavlenok M, Niederweis M, Gundlach J, Aksimentiev A. Molecular dynamics study of MspA arginine mutants predicts slow DNA translocations and ion current blockades indicative of DNA sequence. ACS Nano. 2012;6:6960-8 pubmed publisher..Comparison of our results with similar engineering efforts on a different nanopore (α-hemolysin) reveals a nontrivial effect of nanopore geometry on the ionic current blockades in mutant nanopores. ..
- Dueweke T, Gennis R. Epitopes of monoclonal antibodies which inhibit ubiquinol oxidase activity of Escherichia coli cytochrome d complex localize functional domain. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:4273-7 pubmed..Together, these data begin to define a functional domain in which ubiquinol is oxidized near the periplasmic surface of the membrane. ..
- Bischoff D, Ordal G. Sequence and characterization of Bacillus subtilis CheB, a homolog of Escherichia coli CheY, and its role in a different mechanism of chemotaxis. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:12301-5 pubmed..Expression in wild type E. coli makes the cells smooth swimmers and strongly inhibits chemotaxis. ..
- Chen H, Shapiro D. Nucleotide sequence and estrogen induction of Xenopus laevis 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:4622-9 pubmed..These data suggest that the estrogen induction of HMG-CoA reductase mRNA may be achieved through posttranscriptional mechanisms. ..
- Hanlon D, Rosario M, Ordal G, Venema G, van Sinderen D. Identification of TlpC, a novel 62 kDa MCP-like protein from Bacillus subtilis. Microbiology. 1994;140 ( Pt 8):1847-54 pubmed..However, no chemotactic defect was observed for any of the chemoeffectors tested. We suggest that TlpC is similar to an evolutionary intermediate from which the major chemotactic transducers from B. subtilis arose. ..
- Ma J, Katsonouri A, Gennis R. Subunit II of the cytochrome bo3 ubiquinol oxidase from Escherichia coli is a lipoprotein. Biochemistry. 1997;36:11298-303 pubmed..Hence, this unusual processing of a cytoplasmic membrane protein, which is already anchored to the membrane by two transmembrane helices, is not essential for either assembly or function. ..
- Yang B, Liu D, Huang Z. Synthesis and helical structure of lactam bridged BH3 peptides derived from pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2004;14:1403-6 pubmed..Furthermore, the synthetic method for lactam bridge incorporation reported here may find application in studies of other helical structures and development of helix mimics. ..
- Blodgett J, Zhang J, Metcalf W. Molecular cloning, sequence analysis, and heterologous expression of the phosphinothricin tripeptide biosynthetic gene cluster from Streptomyces viridochromogenes DSM 40736. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:230-40 pubmed publisher..This is the first report detailing the entire PTT gene cluster from any producing streptomycete...
- Li J, Ruyl Kim S, Christensen B, Li J. Purification and primary structural characterization of prophenoloxidases from Aedes aegypti larvae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:1269-83 pubmed..Results of this study provide a basis for developing a comprehensive understanding of structure/function relationships of individual proPOs in mosquitoes. ..
- Bose A, Kulkarni G, Metcalf W. Regulation of putative methyl-sulphide methyltransferases in Methanosarcina acetivorans C2A. Mol Microbiol. 2009;74:227-238 pubmed publisher..Characterization of deletion mutants lacking putative regulatory genes suggests that MA0862 (msrF), MA4383 (msrC) and MA4560 (msrG) act as transcriptional activators of mtsD, mtsF and mtsH respectively. ..
- Magnuson K, Oh W, Larson T, Cronan J. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the fabD gene encoding malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylase of Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 1992;299:262-6 pubmed..Overexpression of this enzyme alters the fatty acid composition of a wild-type E. coli strain; increased amounts of cis-vaccenate are incorporated into the membrane phospholipids. ..
- Ying C, Scoffone F, Albertini A, Galizzi A, Ordal G. Properties of the Bacillus subtilis chemotaxis protein CheF, a homolog of the Salmonella typhimurium flagellar protein FliJ. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:3584-6 pubmed..Methanol release is abnormal in cheF mutants, suggesting that the morphology and functioning of the motor affects methanol formation. ..
- Yun C, Beci R, Crofts A, Kaplan S, Gennis R. Cloning and DNA sequencing of the fbc operon encoding the cytochrome bc1 complex from Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Characterization of fbc deletion mutants and complementation by a site-specific mutational variant. Eur J Biochem. 1990;194:399-411 pubmed
- Reilly T, Baron G, Nano F, Kuhlenschmidt M. Characterization and sequencing of a respiratory burst-inhibiting acid phosphatase from Francisella tularensis. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:10973-83 pubmed..Comparative sequence analyses of AcpA is discussed. To our knowledge, this is the first report describing the cloning and sequencing of a burst-inhibiting acid phosphatase...
- Kyrpides N, Woese C. Universally conserved translation initiation factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:224-8 pubmed..However, significant development and refinement subsequently occurred independently on both the bacterial lineage and on the archaeal/eukaryotic line...
- Li L, Romanova E, Rubakhin S, Alexeeva V, Weiss K, Vilim F, et al. Peptide profiling of cells with multiple gene products: combining immunochemistry and MALDI mass spectrometry with on-plate microextraction. Anal Chem. 2000;72:3867-74 pubmed..In the case of CP1, a disulfide-bonded homodimer is detected and the disulfide bonding pattern elucidated using MALDI-MS coupled with on-plate enzymatic digestion. ..
- Hoyer L, Fundyga R, Hecht J, Kapteyn J, Klis F, Arnold J. Characterization of agglutinin-like sequence genes from non-albicans Candida and phylogenetic analysis of the ALS family. Genetics. 2001;157:1555-67 pubmed..Homologous recombination between the tandem repeat sequences present in ALS genes could explain the different histories for co-localized genes in a predominantly clonal organism like C. albicans. ..
- Mukhopadhyay B, Purwantini E, Kreder C, Wolfe R. Oxaloacetate synthesis in the methanarchaeon Methanosarcina barkeri: pyruvate carboxylase genes and a putative Escherichia coli-type bifunctional biotin protein ligase gene (bpl/birA) exhibit a unique organization. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:3804-10 pubmed publisher..We found the element Tyr(Phe)ProX(5)Phe(Tyr) to be fully conserved in biotin-dependent enzymes; it might function as the hinge for their "swinging arms."..
- Zabala G, Vodkin L. Cloning of the pleiotropic T locus in soybean and two recessive alleles that differentially affect structure and expression of the encoded flavonoid 3' hydroxylase. Genetics. 2003;163:295-309 pubmed
- McDonnell C, Brown R, Berenbaum M, Schuler M. Conserved regulatory elements in the promoters of two allelochemical-inducible cytochrome P450 genes differentially regulate transcription. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;34:1129-39 pubmed
- Vu M, Martinis S. A unique insert of leucyl-tRNA synthetase is required for aminoacylation and not amino acid editing. Biochemistry. 2007;46:5170-6 pubmed..Although the leucine-specific domain does not appear to be important to the editing complex, it remains possible that it aids the dynamic translocation process that moves tRNA from the aminoacylation to the editing complex. ..
- Wadler C, Vanderpool C. A dual function for a bacterial small RNA: SgrS performs base pairing-dependent regulation and encodes a functional polypeptide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20454-9 pubmed
- Flanigan A, Gardner J. Structural prediction and mutational analysis of the Gifsy-I Xis protein. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:199 pubmed publisher..2 kDa and a pI of 10.2. Electrophoretic Mobility Shift Assays (EMSA) suggested at least one region of the protein is responsible for protein-DNA interactions with a tripartite DNA binding site composed of three direct imperfect repeats...
- Williams J, Halvorsen E, Dwyer E, Difazio R, Hergenrother P. Toxin-antitoxin (TA) systems are prevalent and transcribed in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;322:41-50 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that TA genes are prevalent and transcribed within MRSA and PA and suggest that activation of the toxin proteins could be an effective antibacterial strategy for these pathogens. ..
- Rushing M, Slauch J. Either periplasmic tethering or protease resistance is sufficient to allow a SodC to protect Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium from phagocytic superoxide. Mol Microbiol. 2011;82:952-63 pubmed publisher..Periplasmic proteins, including SodCII, are released and/or phagocytic proteases gain access. SodCI is both tethered within the periplasm and protease resistant, thereby surviving to detoxify superoxide...
- Garg N, Tang W, Goto Y, Nair S, van der Donk W. Lantibiotics from Geobacillus thermodenitrificans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5241-6 pubmed publisher..Seven Geobacillus strains were screened for production of the geobacillins using whole-cell MALDI-MS and five were shown to produce geobacillin I, but none produced geobacillin II. ..
- Cameron S, Lozier J, Strange J, Koch J, Cordes N, Solter L, et al. Patterns of widespread decline in North American bumble bees. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:662-7 pubmed publisher..Higher pathogen prevalence and reduced genetic diversity are, thus, realistic predictors of these alarming patterns of decline in North America, although cause and effect remain uncertain. ..
- Wang A, Grogan D, Cronan J. Cyclopropane fatty acid synthase of Escherichia coli: deduced amino acid sequence, purification, and studies of the enzyme active site. Biochemistry. 1992;31:11020-8 pubmed..The CFA synthase sequence has no significant similarity to known proteins except for sequences found in other enzymes that utilize S-adenosyl-L-methionine. We also report inhibitor studies of the enzyme active site. ..
- Bischoff D, Weinreich M, Ordal G. Nucleotide sequences of Bacillus subtilis flagellar biosynthetic genes fliP and fliQ and identification of a novel flagellar gene, fliZ. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4017-25 pubmed..FliZ has a conventional N-terminal signal sequence that does not direct secretion of the protein but appears to target the protein to the membrane. Two possible models of insertion of FliZ into the membrane are described. ..
- Beck von Bodman S, Hayman G, Farrand S. Opine catabolism and conjugal transfer of the nopaline Ti plasmid pTiC58 are coordinately regulated by a single repressor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:643-7 pubmed..accR can encode a 28-kDa protein. This protein is related to a class of repressor proteins that includes LacR, GutR, DeoR, FucR, and GlpR that regulate sugar catabolic systems in several bacterial genera...
- Hayashi Y, Haimovich B, Reszka A, Boettiger D, Horwitz A. Expression and function of chicken integrin beta 1 subunit and its cytoplasmic domain mutants in mouse NIH 3T3 cells. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:175-84 pubmed..They did, however, form heterodimers that were expressed on the cell surface. ..
- Chepuri V, Lemieux L, Hill J, Alben J, Gennis R. Recent studies of the cytochrome o terminal oxidase complex of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1018:124-7 pubmed..Site-directed mutagenesis is being utilized to define which amino acids are ligands to the heme iron and copper prosthetic groups. ..
- Nau C, Konisky J. Evolutionary relationship between the TonB-dependent outer membrane transport proteins: nucleotide and amino acid sequences of the Escherichia coli colicin I receptor gene. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:1041-7 pubmed..On the basis of the multiple progressive sequence alignment and the similarity scores derived from it, a tree representing evolutionary distance between five TonB-dependent outer membrane transport proteins was generated. ..
- Hahn D, Myers R, Kent C, Maloy S. Regulation of proline utilization in Salmonella typhimurium: molecular characterization of the put operon, and DNA sequence of the put control region. Mol Gen Genet. 1988;213:125-33 pubmed..The putA translational start site is 40 bp downstream of its putative mRNA start site. The putP promoter and its translational start site are separated by a 400 bp untranslated region. ..
- Robertson H, Martos R. Molecular evolution of the second ancient human mariner transposon, Hsmar2, illustrates patterns of neutral evolution in the human genome lineage. Gene. 1997;205:219-28 pubmed..These copies provide multiple independent datasets for evaluating the pattern of neutral evolution in the human genome, for example, they confirm that most indels are very short and that deletions are twice as common as insertions. ..
- Lampe D, Grant T, Robertson H. Factors affecting transposition of the Himar1 mariner transposon in vitro. Genetics. 1998;149:179-87 pubmed..A noticeable bias in target site usage suggests a preference for insertion into bent or bendable DNA sequences rather than any specific nucleotide sequences beyond the TA target site. ..
- Martinez A, Ostrovsky P, Nunn D. Identification of an additional member of the secretin superfamily of proteins in Pseudomonas aeruginosa that is able to function in type II protein secretion. Mol Microbiol. 1998;28:1235-46 pubmed..aeruginosa. We have also demonstrated that this protein is capable of recognizing all of the exoproteins of P. aeruginosa, arguing against the proposed role of members of the secretin family as determinants of specificity. ..
- Park E, Garrow T. Interaction between dietary methionine and methyl donor intake on rat liver betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase gene expression and organization of the human gene. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:7816-24 pubmed
- Hakansson K, Lim N, Hoppe H, Reid K. Crystal structure of the trimeric alpha-helical coiled-coil and the three lectin domains of human lung surfactant protein D. Structure. 1999;7:255-64 pubmed..The positively charged surface might facilitate binding to negatively charged structures, such as lipopolysaccharides. ..
- Goldberg T, Hahn E, Weigel R, Scherba G. Genetic, geographical and temporal variation of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus in Illinois. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:171-9 pubmed..These regions should make effective vaccine targets if they prove to be immunogenic. ..
- Marron B, Robinson J, Gentry P, Beever J. Identification of a mutation associated with factor XI deficiency in Holstein cattle. Anim Genet. 2004;35:454-6 pubmed..Based on these data, a DNA-based diagnostic test has been developed for accurate genotyping. Using this method, the frequency of the mutated allele has been determined to be 1.2% in a contemporary population of the USA Holstein sires. ..
- Wang Y, Wang G, Shoemaker N, Whitehead T, Salyers A. Distribution of the ermG gene among bacterial isolates from porcine intestinal contents. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:4930-4 pubmed
- Duan H, Huang M, Palacio K, Schuler M. Variations in CYP74B2 (hydroperoxide lyase) gene expression differentially affect hexenal signaling in the Columbia and Landsberg erecta ecotypes of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2005;139:1529-44 pubmed..Two of the three transcripts coding for aliphatic glucosinolates (CYP83A1, AOP3) are also expressed at significantly lower levels in Col flowers. ..
- Fang S, Miao J, Xiang L, Ponugoti B, Treuter E, Kemper J. Coordinated recruitment of histone methyltransferase G9a and other chromatin-modifying enzymes in SHP-mediated regulation of hepatic bile acid metabolism. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1407-24 pubmed..Our studies establish a critical role for G9a methyltransferase, histone deacetylases, and the Swi/Snf-Brm complex in the SHP-mediated inhibition of hepatic bile acid synthesis via coordinated chromatin modification at target genes. ..
- Replogle K, Arnold A, Ball G, Band M, Bensch S, Brenowitz E, et al. The Songbird Neurogenomics (SoNG) Initiative: community-based tools and strategies for study of brain gene function and evolution. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:131 pubmed publisher..Energetic application of genomic resources to research using songbirds should help illuminate how complex neural and behavioral traits emerge and evolve. ..
- Rubin Pitel S, Zhang H, Vu T, Brunzelle J, Zhao H, Nair S. Distinct structural elements dictate the specificity of the type III pentaketide synthase from Neurospora crassa. Chem Biol. 2008;15:1079-90 pubmed publisher..These studies establish an unexpected plasticity to the PKS fold, unanticipated from structural studies of other members of this enzyme family. ..