Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Topic: middle aged
Publications748 found, 100 shown here
- Palella F, Gange S, Benning L, Jacobson L, Kaplan R, Landay A, et al. Inflammatory biomarkers and abacavir use in the Women's Interagency HIV Study and the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. AIDS. 2010;24:1657-65 pubmed publisher..To assess associations between abacavir (ABC) use and systemic inflammation...
- King R, Hartke R, Houle T. Patterns of relationships between background characteristics, coping, and stroke caregiver outcomes. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010;17:308-17 pubmed publisher..Clinicians can build on caregivers' strengths while identifying threats to adaptation to tailor interventions that promote healthy outcomes. ..
- Siewe B, Stapleton J, Martinson J, Keshavarzian A, Kazmi N, Demarais P, et al. Regulatory B cell frequency correlates with markers of HIV disease progression and attenuates anti-HIV CD8? T cell function in vitro. J Leukoc Biol. 2013;93:811-8 pubmed publisher..4791; P=0.0443). Our data indicate that Bregs contribute to HIV-infection associated immune dysfunction by T cell impairment, via IL-10 and possibly PD-L1 expression. ..
- Peterson S, Braunschweig C. Prevalence of Sarcopenia and Associated Outcomes in the Clinical Setting. Nutr Clin Pract. 2016;31:40-8 pubmed publisher..In consideration of the growing population of older adults with multiple comorbidities, more research is needed to identify sarcopenia and develop interventions that are directed at attenuating or reversal muscle loss. ..
- Mohananey D, Smilowitz N, Villablanca P, Bhatia N, Agrawal S, Baruah A, et al. Trends in the Incidence and In-Hospital Outcomes of Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Thyroid Storm. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:159-164 pubmed publisher..Although incidence has increased over the years, mortality from CS has steadily declined. ..
- Rodriguez E, Hall J, Smith R, Rachoy J, Szmyd T. Treatment of osteochondral lesions of the talus with cryopreserved talar allograft and ankle distraction with external fixation. Surg Technol Int. 2006;15:282-8 pubmed..No patients experienced any major complications and none have required additional surgery. We feel that these initial results warrant further investigation of this treatment...
- Winter J, Inwards D, Spies S, Wiseman G, Patton D, Erwin W, et al. Yttrium-90 ibritumomab tiuxetan doses calculated to deliver up to 15 Gy to critical organs may be safely combined with high-dose BEAM and autologous transplantation in relapsed or refractory B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:1653-9 pubmed publisher..Careful dosimetry is required to avoid toxicity and undertreatment. ..
- Huo L, Wang Y, Gong Y, Krishnamurthy S, Wang J, Diao L, et al. MicroRNA expression profiling identifies decreased expression of miR-205 in inflammatory breast cancer. Mod Pathol. 2016;29:330-46 pubmed publisher..MicroRNA-205 may serve as a therapeutic target in advanced breast cancer including inflammatory breast cancer. ..
- Weinzweig N, Gonzalez M. Surgical infections of the hand and upper extremity: a county hospital experience. Ann Plast Surg. 2002;49:621-7 pubmed..Ciprofloxacin (400 mg every 12 hours) proved most effective against the Gram-negative organisms, including Pseudomonas, and was also the most effective single agent overall. ..
- Sawyer M, Innocenti F, Das S, Cheng C, Ramirez J, Pantle Fisher F, et al. A pharmacogenetic study of uridine diphosphate-glucuronosyltransferase 2B7 in patients receiving morphine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003;73:566-74 pubmed..045 and P =.004, respectively). Interindividual differences in morphine glucuronidation may be the result of genetic variation in UGT2B7, and further studies are indicated. ..
- Chaudhry S, Jin L, Meltzer D. Use of a self-report-generated Charlson Comorbidity Index for predicting mortality. Med Care. 2005;43:607-15 pubmed..Administrative data may offer some small improvements in predictive ability and may be preferred when readily available. ..
- Larghi A, Noffsinger A, Dye C, Hart J, Waxman I. EUS-guided fine needle tissue acquisition by using high negative pressure suction for the evaluation of solid masses: a pilot study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:768-74 pubmed..Further studies in which EUS-FNTA is performed before FNA and with variable number of passes are needed to better define its diagnostic role and performance characteristics. ..
- Alexander G, Larkin G, Wynia M. Physicians' preparedness for bioterrorism and other public health priorities. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13:1238-41 pubmed..These findings highlight the importance of expanding bioterrorism preparedness efforts to improve the public health system more broadly. ..
- Huo D, Bailey S, Ouellet L. Cessation of injection drug use and change in injection frequency: the Chicago Needle Exchange Evaluation Study. Addiction. 2006;101:1606-13 pubmed..These results did not support the hypothesis that NEP use influences the frequency of injection over time. One-sixth of IDUs stopped injection for more than 1 year, providing a substantial window for relapse prevention interventions. ..
- Spies C, Timmermanns I, Schrader R. Transcatheter closure of secundum atrial septal defects in adults with the Amplatzer septal occluder: intermediate and long-term results. Clin Res Cardiol. 2007;96:340-6 pubmed..The immediate success rates are excellent and follow-up data suggest that the ASO is a safe device well suited for transcatheter ASD closure. ..
- Dietz J, Kachar S, Nagle D. Endoscopically assisted excision of digital enchondroma. Arthroscopy. 2007;23:678.e1-4 pubmed..In conclusion, the addition of an endoscope is an inexpensive modification that promises to save time, decrease morbidity, and possibly improve long-term outcomes. ..
- Silver G, Robertson S, Halerz M, Conrad P, Supple K, Gamelli R. A silver-coated antimicrobial barrier dressing used postoperatively on meshed autografts: a dressing comparison study. J Burn Care Res. 2007;28:715-9 pubmed..Because of the reduced number of dressing changes, the use of Acticoat was a less expensive alternative to 5% sulfamylon dressing changes in this study. ..
- Bilimoria K, Shen W, Elaraj D, Bentrem D, Winchester D, Kebebew E, et al. Adrenocortical carcinoma in the United States: treatment utilization and prognostic factors. Cancer. 2008;113:3130-6 pubmed publisher..The authors' objectives were to examine treatment utilization and factors associated with long-term survival after resection of ACC in a large, national, patient population...
- Markaryan A, Nelson E, Hinojosa R. Quantification of the mitochondrial DNA common deletion in presbycusis. Laryngoscope. 2009;119:1184-9 pubmed publisher..This study was conducted to evaluate the association between the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) common deletion (CD) level in cochlear tissue and the severity of hearing loss in individuals with presbycusis...
- Pascual Garrido C, Slabaugh M, L Heureux D, Friel N, Cole B. Recommendations and treatment outcomes for patellofemoral articular cartilage defects with autologous chondrocyte implantation: prospective evaluation at average 4-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37 Suppl 1:33S-41S pubmed publisher..Patients with failed prior cartilage procedures can also expect sustained and clinically meaningful improvement. ..
- Weuve J, Hauser R, Calafat A, Missmer S, Wise L. Association of exposure to phthalates with endometriosis and uterine leiomyomata: findings from NHANES, 1999-2004. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:825-32 pubmed publisher..The positive associations for MBP and inverse associations for MEHP in relation to endometriosis and leiomyomata warrant investigation in prospective studies. ..
- Maitland M, Bakris G, Black H, Chen H, Durand J, Elliott W, et al. Initial assessment, surveillance, and management of blood pressure in patients receiving vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathway inhibitors. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:596-604 pubmed publisher..Proper agent selection, dosing, and scheduling of follow-up should enable maintaining VSP inhibition while avoiding the complications associated with excessive or prolonged elevation in BP. ..
- Scanzello C, McKeon B, Swaim B, DiCarlo E, Asomugha E, Kanda V, et al. Synovial inflammation in patients undergoing arthroscopic meniscectomy: molecular characterization and relationship to symptoms. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:391-400 pubmed publisher..Chemokines may contribute to the development of synovial inflammation in patients with meniscal pathology; they also represent potential therapeutic targets for reducing inflammatory symptoms. ..
- Rezania K, Soliven B, Baron J, Lin H, Penumalli V, Van Besien K. Myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune manifestation of lymphoma and lymphoproliferative disorders: case reports and review of literature. Leuk Lymphoma. 2012;53:371-80 pubmed publisher..These perturbations could be the result of the lymphoid malignancy per se, or its treatment. ..
- Halverson C, Ross L. Incidental findings of therapeutic misconception in biobank-based research. Genet Med. 2012;14:611-5 pubmed publisher..This finding raises questions about how to engage prospective research participants in the long-term goals of biobank-based research without unintentionally overstating possible short-term clinical benefits. ..
- Huber A, Tan D, Sun J, Dean D, Wu T, Zhou Z. High expression of carbonic anhydrase IX is significantly associated with glandular lesions in gastroesophageal junction and with tumorigenesis markers BMI1, MCM4 and MCM7. BMC Gastroenterol. 2015;15:80 pubmed publisher..High CA9 expression may be related to the acidic environment caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease in the gastroesophageal junction and associated with tumorigenesis through BMI1, MCM4 and MCM7. ..
- von Eichel Streiber A, Paik W, Knight K, Gisch K, Nadjafi K, Decker C, et al. Induction of antitoxin responses in Clostridium-difficile-infected patients compared to healthy blood donors. Anaerobe. 2016;41:91-103 pubmed publisher..If this hypothesis is confirmed, immune suppression rather than protective humoral immunity might be the consequence in some patients infected with toxigenic C. difficile. ..
- Weidner A, Barber M, Markland A, Rahn D, Hsu Y, Mueller E, et al. Perioperative Behavioral Therapy and Pelvic Muscle Strengthening Do Not Enhance Quality of Life After Pelvic Surgery: Secondary Report of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Phys Ther. 2017;97:1075-1083 pubmed publisher..Perioperative BPMT performed as an adjunct to vaginal surgery for POP and SUI provided no additional improvement in QOL or sexual function compared with usual care. ..
- Gonzalez M, Papierski P, Hall R. Osteomyelitis of the hand after a human bite. J Hand Surg Am. 1993;18:520-2 pubmed..Bacteriologic study commonly showed mixed infections with skin and oral flora. The infections were prone to relapse, and nine patients required more than one surgical debridement...
- Kalapurakal J, Nan B, Norkool P, Coppes M, Perlman E, Beckwith B, et al. Treatment outcomes in adults with favorable histologic type Wilms tumor-an update from the National Wilms Tumor Study Group. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004;60:1379-84 pubmed..Finally, all patients should be monitored for signs and symptoms of hepatic venoocclusive disease. ..
- Kowal Vern A, Ortegel J, Bourdon P, Chakrin A, Latenser B, Kimball D, et al. Elevated cytokine levels in peritoneal fluid from burned patients with intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome. Burns. 2006;32:563-9 pubmed..Peritoneal fluid may be a reservoir for cytokines during initial resuscitation and contributes to homeostatic perturbations in burn patients. ..
- Das S, Chandler J, Pollack A, Biggio E, Diaz L, Raizer J, et al. Oligodendroglioma of the pineal region. Case report. J Neurosurg. 2006;105:461-4 pubmed..Although the spectrum of tumors arising within the region of the pineal gland is broad, to the authors' knowledge this is the first report of an oligodendroglioma occurring in this area...
- Langerman A, Blair E, Sweiss N, Taxy J. Utility of lip biopsy in the diagnosis and treatment of Sjogren's syndrome. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:1004-8 pubmed..However, not all patients undergoing lip biopsy will derive diagnostic benefit from the procedure. In this series, clinical symptoms and serology did not predict positive lip biopsy. ..
- Odenike O, Alkan S, Sher D, Godwin J, Huo D, Brandt S, et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitor romidepsin has differential activity in core binding factor acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:7095-101 pubmed publisher..Romidepsin has differential antileukemic and molecular activity in CBF AML. Development of this agent in CBF AML should focus on combinations that target related mechanisms of gene silencing such as DNA methylation. ..
- Sobel R, Paasche Orlow M, Waite K, Rittner S, Wilson E, Wolf M. Asthma 1-2-3: a low literacy multimedia tool to educate African American adults about asthma. J Community Health. 2009;34:321-7 pubmed publisher..In general, feedback from the target population was particularly helpful in the development of the tool and its initial evaluation, and should be considered as a necessary step in the creation of other patient education materials. ..
- Shashoua A, Gill D, Barajas R, Dini M, August C, Kirschenbaum G, et al. Caseating granulomata caused by hemostatic agent posing as metastatic leiomyosarcoma. JSLS. 2009;13:226-8 pubmed..Use of gelatin-thrombin hemostatic agents may elicit a foreign body reaction leading to large giant cell granulomata. In this case, the presence of these granulomata mimicked metastatic disease. ..
- RUSCH N, Todd A, Bodenhausen G, Olschewski M, Corrigan P. Automatically activated shame reactions and perceived legitimacy of discrimination: A longitudinal study among people with mental illness. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2010;41:60-3 pubmed publisher..Automatically activated shame reactions may increase vulnerability to mental illness stigma. ..
- Victorson D, Beaumont J, Rosenbloom S, Shevrin D, Cella D. Efficient assessment of the most important symptoms in advanced prostate cancer: the NCCN/FACT-P Symptom Index. Psychooncology. 2011;20:977-83 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Levine L, Benson J, Hoover C. Inflatable penile prosthesis placement in men with Peyronie's disease and drug-resistant erectile dysfunction: A single-center study. J Sex Med. 2010;7:3775-83 pubmed publisher..Mechanical failure was 7%. Men with PD undergoing IPP placement should be counseled regarding potential penile length loss and residual curvature, neither of which appeared to interfere with coitus but may reduce satisfaction. ..
- Nunnally M, Jaeschke R, Bellingan G, Lacroix J, Mourvillier B, Rodríguez Vega G, et al. Targeted temperature management in critical care: a report and recommendations from five professional societies. Crit Care Med. 2011;39:1113-25 pubmed publisher..5°C (vs. less structured management) in the treatment of term newborns who sustained asphyxia and exhibit acidosis and/or encephalopathy (weak recommendation, moderate quality of evidence). ..
- Hynes D, Stroupe K, Fischer M, Reda D, Manning W, Browning M, et al. Comparing VA and private sector healthcare costs for end-stage renal disease. Med Care. 2012;50:161-70 pubmed publisher..001). Continued research addressing costs and effectiveness of care across public and private sector settings is critical in informing health policy options for patients with complex chronic illnesses such as ESRD. ..
- Li F, Engelmann R, Pesce L, Doi K, Metz C, Macmahon H. Small lung cancers: improved detection by use of bone suppression imaging--comparison with dual-energy subtraction chest radiography. Radiology. 2011;261:937-49 pubmed publisher..Further improvements can be achieved by use of DES radiography but with the requirement for special equipment and a potential small increase in radiation dose. ..
- Innocenti F, Owzar K, Cox N, EVANS P, Kubo M, Zembutsu H, et al. A genome-wide association study of overall survival in pancreatic cancer patients treated with gemcitabine in CALGB 80303. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:577-84 pubmed publisher..This exploratory GWAS may provide the foundation for testing the biology and clinical effects of novel genes and their heritable variants through mechanistic and confirmatory studies in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Weisman P, Sutton B, Siziopikou K, Hansen N, Khan S, Neuschler E, et al. Non-mass-associated intraductal papillomas: is excision necessary?. Hum Pathol. 2014;45:583-8 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that conservative follow-up is reasonable for non-mass-associated IDPs without atypia regardless of microscopic size, provided that careful pathologic-radiologic correlation is achieved. ..
- Rozenfeld M, Ansari S, Mohan P, Shaibani A, Russell E, Hurley M. Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease and Intracranial Aneurysms: Is There an Increased Risk of Treatment?. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37:290-3 pubmed publisher..Despite the additional catheterization-related risks of dissection and embolization, coiling results in shorter hospital stays and similar mortality compared with clipping. ..
- Desai S, Konanur M, Foltz G, Malaisrie S, Resnick S. An Endovascular Approach to the Entrapped Central Venous Catheter After Cardiac Surgery. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2016;39:453-7 pubmed publisher..An endovascular algorithm to the "entrapped CVC" is proposed, which likely reduces risks posed by resternotomy to cardiac surgery patients in the post-operative period. ..
- Damle R, Levine J, Matos J, Greenberg S, Brooks R, Frumkin W, et al. Efficacy and risks of moricizine in inducible sustained ventricular tachycardia. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:375-81 pubmed
- Baron B, Martin M, Sucharetza B, Jeon H, Baron J. Four patients with both thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura: the concept of a mixed immune thrombocytopenia syndrome and indications for plasma exchange. J Clin Apher. 2001;16:179-85 pubmed
- Reddy P, Shetty V, Dutt D, York A, Dar S, Mundle S, et al. Increased incidence of mitochondrial cytochrome c-oxidase gene mutations in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol. 2002;116:564-75 pubmed..These results suggest a role for mt-DNA mutations in the excessive apoptosis and resulting cytopenias of MDS patients. ..
- Mesulam M, Siddique T, Cohen B. Cholinergic denervation in a pure multi-infarct state: observations on CADASIL. Neurology. 2003;60:1183-5 pubmed
- Amin S, Huang C, Reierstad S, Lin Z, Arbieva Z, Wiley E, et al. Paracrine-stimulated gene expression profile favors estradiol production in breast tumors. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2006;253:44-55 pubmed
- Weintraub S, Fahey C, Johnson N, Mesulam M, Gitelman D, Weitner B, et al. Vasectomy in men with primary progressive aphasia. Cogn Behav Neurol. 2006;19:190-3 pubmed..Potential mechanisms mediating risk include vasectomy-induced immune responses to sperm, which shares antigenic epitopes with brain. Antisperm antibodies can also develop in women and become risk factors for PPA. ..
- Harden R, Cottrill J, Gagnon C, Smitherman T, Weinland S, Tann B, et al. Botulinum toxin a in the treatment of chronic tension-type headache with cervical myofascial trigger points: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Headache. 2009;49:732-43 pubmed publisher..However, the putative technique of injecting BT-A directly into the ubiquitous MTPs in CTTH is partially supported in this pilot study. Definitive trials with larger samples are needed to test this hypothesis further. ..
- Najdowski C, Ullman S. Prospective effects of sexual victimization on PTSD and problem drinking. Addict Behav. 2009;34:965-8 pubmed publisher..Rather, experiencing revictimization during the study predicted survivors' prospective PTSD and problem drinking symptoms. Implications and recommendations for future research are discussed. ..
- Riaz A, Ryu R, Kulik L, Mulcahy M, Lewandowski R, Minocha J, et al. Alpha-fetoprotein response after locoregional therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: oncologic marker of radiologic response, progression, and survival. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:5734-42 pubmed publisher..We present a novel correlation of AFP response to radiologic response, time-to-progression (TTP), progression-free survival (PFS), and overall survival (OS) in patients treated with locoregional therapies...
- Weaver K, Jones R, Albright R, Thomas Y, Zambrano C, Costello M, et al. Acute emergence of Elizabethkingia meningoseptica infection among mechanically ventilated patients in a long-term acute care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:54-8 pubmed publisher..meningoseptica. This multidrug-resistant bacterium could pose additional risk when patients are transferred between long-term acute care hospitals and acute care hospitals. ..
- Miller E, Hoekstra A, Hurteau J, Rodriguez G. Cardiac metastasis from poorly differentiated carcinoma of the cervix: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2010;55:78-80 pubmed..She died of cardiac failure 8 months after diagnosis of the cardiac lesion. Cervical cancer metastatic to the heart is rare and associated with a poor prognosis. Selected patients may benefit from multimodality treatment. ..
- Caliskan M, Cusanovich D, Ober C, Gilad Y. The effects of EBV transformation on gene expression levels and methylation profiles. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1643-52 pubmed publisher..In contrast, inference based on functional studies in LCLs may be more limited to the cell lines. ..
- Spear G, Kendrick S, Chen H, Thomas T, Bahk M, Balderas R, et al. Multiplex immunoassay of lower genital tract mucosal fluid from women attending an urban STD clinic shows broadly increased IL1ß and lactoferrin. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19560 pubmed publisher..Importantly, IL-1ß and lactoferrin are biomarkers for STDs/colonizations providing insights into immune responses and pathogenesis at this mucosal site. ..
- Abbasian J, Martin T, Patel S, Tessler H, Goldstein D. Immunologic and genetic markers in patients with idiopathic ocular inflammation and a family history of inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;154:72-7 pubmed publisher..Prometheus IBD Serology 7 may be useful in the evaluation of selected patients with unexplained uveitis. ..
- Laiteerapong N, Iveniuk J, John P, Laumann E, Huang E. Classification of older adults who have diabetes by comorbid conditions, United States, 2005-2006. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E100 pubmed..Older adults who have diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and 6 or more comorbid conditions may represent a subgroup of older adults who are less likely to benefit from intensive glycemic control. ..
- Sun X, Singleton P, Letsiou E, Zhao J, Belvitch P, Sammani S, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor-3 is a novel biomarker in acute lung injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2012;47:628-36 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that microparticles containing nitrated S1PR3 shed into the circulation during inflammatory lung states, and represent a novel ALI biomarker linked to disease severity and outcome. ..
- King R, Hartke R, Houle T, Lee J, Herring G, Alexander Peterson B, et al. A problem-solving early intervention for stroke caregivers: one year follow-up. Rehabil Nurs. 2012;37:231-43 pubmed publisher..04). Perceived health, threat appraisal and rational problem-solving were significant mediators (ps < .05). Findings provide direction for future interventions to promote and sustain healthy caregiver adaptation. ..
- Ollberding N, Aschebrook Kilfoy B, Caces D, Wright M, Weisenburger D, Smith S, et al. Phytanic acid and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Carcinogenesis. 2013;34:170-5 pubmed publisher..Our results provide support that total phytanic acid and phytanic acid-containing foods may increase NHL risk. ..
- Jain A, Liu K, Ferrucci L, Criqui M, Tian L, Guralnik J, et al. Declining walking impairment questionnaire scores are associated with subsequent increased mortality in peripheral artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1820-9 pubmed publisher..Patients with PAD who experienced ?20.0 point declines in the WIQ stair climbing, distance, and speed scores had a higher rate of all-cause mortality compared with those with less declines in each WIQ score. ..
- LaVela S, Etingen B, Hill J, Miskevics S. Patient Perceptions of the Environment of Care in Which Their Healthcare is Delivered. HERD. 2016;9:31-46 pubmed publisher..Hospital design modifications, with particular attention to the physical environment, can improve patient EOC perceptions. ..
- Orcholski M, Khurshudyan A, Shamskhou E, Yuan K, Chen I, Kodani S, et al. Reduced carboxylesterase 1 is associated with endothelial injury in methamphetamine-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;313:L252-L266 pubmed publisher..We propose that reduced CES1 expression/activity could promote development of METH-PAH by increasing PMVEC apoptosis and small vessel loss. ..
- Hountras P, Cajigas H. A 62-Year-Old Woman With Wheezing, Respiratory Failure, and an Abnormal CTÂ Scan. Chest. 2017;152:e73-e76 pubmed publisher..Despite this treatment, the patient experienced severe respiratory distress with audible wheezing as well as increased work of breathing. She was intubated for acute hypoxemic respiratory failure and transferred to the ICU. ..
- Gonzalez M, Igram C, Hall R. Intramedullary nailing of proximal phalangeal fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 1995;20:808-12 pubmed..Flexible intramedullary rodding of specific proximal phalangeal fractures provides excellent results with a low complication rate. Proper selection of fractures and good surgical technique are necessary to avoid complications. ..
- Rubenstein J, Blunt L, Lin W, User H, Nadler R, Gonzalez C. Safety and efficacy of 12-mm radial dilating ports for laparoscopic access. BJU Int. 2003;92:327-9 pubmed
- Sandhu F, Santiago P, Fessler R, Palmer S. Minimally invasive surgical treatment of lumbar synovial cysts. Neurosurgery. 2004;54:107-11; discussion 111-2 pubmed..This may be particularly significant when synovial cysts are associated with spondylolisthesis, minimizing the risk of progressive instability and the need for fusion. ..
- del Bosque Plata L, Aguilar Salinas C, Tusié Luna M, Ramírez Jiménez S, Rodriguez Torres M, Auron Gomez M, et al. Association of the calpain-10 gene with type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Mexican population. Mol Genet Metab. 2004;81:122-6 pubmed..15, 95% CI=0.57-2.34). The results suggest that variation in CAPN10 affects risk of type 2 diabetes in the mestizo population of central Mexico (Mexico City and Orizaba) and in Mexican Americans (Starr County, Texas). ..
- Dell J, Whitman S, Shah A, Silva A, Ansell D. Smoking in 6 diverse Chicago communities--a population study. Am J Public Health. 2005;95:1036-42 pubmed..Understanding community-level smoking rates could improve the allocation of resources and assist the shaping of culturally meaningful prevention efforts. ..
- Goldstein J, Cryer B, Amer F, Hunt B. Celecoxib plus aspirin versus naproxen and lansoprazole plus aspirin: a randomized, double-blind, endoscopic trial. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;5:1167-74 pubmed..0% [-2.9% to 4.9%]) groups. In patients with osteoarthritis taking low-dose aspirin, the use of celecoxib or naproxen plus lansoprazole resulted in similar rates of gastroduodenal ulceration. ..
- Rosenbaum C, Peace D, Rich E, Van Besien K. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor-based stem cell mobilization in patients with sickle cell disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2008;14:719-23 pubmed publisher..The 2 others had no complications. These cases demonstrate that stem cell mobilization using G-CSF, although complicated and not without risk, is feasible in patients with sickle cell syndromes. ..
- Turyk M, Persky V, Imm P, Knobeloch L, Chatterton R, Anderson H. Hormone disruption by PBDEs in adult male sport fish consumers. Environ Health Perspect. 2008;116:1635-41 pubmed publisher..PBDE exposure, at levels comparable with those of the general U.S. population, was associated with increased thyroglobulin antibodies and increased T(4) in adult males. ..
- Wahlgren C, Zheng W, Shaalan W, Tang J, Bassiouny H. Human carotid plaque calcification and vulnerability. Relationship between degree of plaque calcification, fibrous cap inflammatory gene expression and symptomatology. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;27:193-200 pubmed publisher..05). Fibrous cap inflammation is more likely to occur in noncalcified than in calcified plaques. These findings suggest that carotid atherosclerotic plaque calcification is a structural marker of plaque stability. ..
- Harindhanavudhi T, Tanawuttiwat T, Pyle J, Silva R. Extra-gastrointestinal stromal tumor presenting as hemorrhagic pancreatic cyst diagnosed by EUS-FNA. JOP. 2009;10:189-91 pubmed..Pancreatic gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) are rare mesenchymal tumor with only 6 cases reported to date. We report a case of pancreatic GIST presenting as hemorrhagic cyst...