Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Publications783 found, 100 shown here
- Chen S, Ning H, Ishida W, Sodin Semrl S, Takagawa S, Mori Y, et al. The early-immediate gene EGR-1 is induced by transforming growth factor-beta and mediates stimulation of collagen gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:21183-97 pubmed..The results therefore implicate Egr-1 in the profibrotic responses elicited by TGF-beta and suggest that Egr-1 may play a new and important role in the pathogenesis of fibrosis. ..
- Liu G, Clement L, Kanwar Y, Avila Casado C, Chugh S. ZHX proteins regulate podocyte gene expression during the development of nephrotic syndrome. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39681-92 pubmed..In summary, ZHX proteins are major transcriptional mediators of podocyte disease. ..
- Olivier V, Haines G, Tan Y, Satchell K. Hemolysin and the multifunctional autoprocessing RTX toxin are virulence factors during intestinal infection of mice with Vibrio cholerae El Tor O1 strains. Infect Immun. 2007;75:5035-42 pubmed..These data suggest that hemolysin and MARTX toxin contribute to vaccine reactogenicity but that the genes for these toxins can be deleted from vaccine strains without affecting vaccine efficacy. ..
- Son K, Becker R, Kallio P, Lipton H. Theiler's virus-induced intrinsic apoptosis in M1-D macrophages is Bax mediated and restricts virus infectivity: a mechanism for persistence of a cytolytic virus. J Virol. 2008;82:4502-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, BeAn virus infection in M1-D macrophages, which restricts virus replication, provides a potential mechanism for modulating TMEV neurovirulence during persistence in the mouse central nervous system. ..
- Chlewicki L, Velikovsky C, Balakrishnan V, Mariuzza R, Kumar V. Molecular basis of the dual functions of 2B4 (CD244). J Immunol. 2008;180:8159-67 pubmed..Because the levels of 2B4 and CD48 are dynamically regulated, these findings have implications for the regulation of NK cell function. ..
- Hajek A, Lindley A, Favoreto S, Carter R, Schleimer R, Kuperman D. 12/15-Lipoxygenase deficiency protects mice from allergic airways inflammation and increases secretory IgA levels. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;122:633-9.e3 pubmed publisher..Induction of 15-LO-1 in asthma might contribute to allergic sensitization and airways inflammation, potentially by causing suppression of secretory IgA. ..
- Wang H, Lindsey S, Konieczna I, Bei L, Horvath E, Huang W, et al. Constitutively active SHP2 cooperates with HoxA10 overexpression to induce acute myeloid leukemia. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:2549-67 pubmed publisher..Because both HoxA10 overexpression and constitutive SHP2 activation are found in poor prognosis human AML, these studies contribute to understanding biochemical aspects of disease progression in myeloid malignancy. ..
- Mirochnik Y, Aurora A, Schulze Hoepfner F, Deabes A, Shifrin V, Beckmann R, et al. Short pigment epithelial-derived factor-derived peptide inhibits angiogenesis and tumor growth. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:1655-63 pubmed publisher..P18 is a novel and potent antiangiogenic biotherapeutic agent that has potential to be developed for the treatment of prostate and renal cancer. ..
- Spooner C, Cheng J, Pujadas E, Laslo P, Singh H. A recurrent network involving the transcription factors PU.1 and Gfi1 orchestrates innate and adaptive immune cell fates. Immunity. 2009;31:576-86 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the evolution of the adaptive immune system. ..
- Veeraraghavalu K, Choi S, Sisodia S. Expression of familial Alzheimer's disease-linked human presenilin 1 variants impair enrichment-induced adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Neurodegener Dis. 2010;7:46-9 pubmed publisher..These studies will allow us to assess the contributions of varying cell types within the hippocampal stem cell niche that express mutant PS1 to NPC proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Tipparaju S, Muench S, Mui E, Ruzheinikov S, Lu J, Hutson S, et al. Identification and development of novel inhibitors of Toxoplasma gondii enoyl reductase. J Med Chem. 2010;53:6287-300 pubmed publisher..This provides a paradigm, conceptual foundation, reagents, and lead compounds for future rational development and discovery of improved inhibitors of T. gondii. ..
- Grippo P, Sandgren E. Acinar-to-ductal metaplasia accompanies c-myc-induced exocrine pancreatic cancer progression in transgenic rodents. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:1243-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, focal ductal elements develop in some acinar cell carcinomas in Ela-c-myc transgenic rats, indicating that myc-associated acinar-to-ductal metaplasia is not restricted to the mouse. ..
- Kong B, Bernhardt M, Kim A, O Halloran T, Woodruff T. Zinc maintains prophase I arrest in mouse oocytes through regulation of the MOS-MAPK pathway. Biol Reprod. 2012;87:11, 1-12 pubmed publisher..These results establish zinc as a crucial regulator of meiosis throughout the entirety of oocyte maturation, including the maintenance of and release from the first and second meiotic arrest points. ..
- Glick D, Zhang W, Beaton M, Marsboom G, Gruber M, Simon M, et al. BNip3 regulates mitochondrial function and lipid metabolism in the liver. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:2570-84 pubmed publisher..These results identify a role for BNip3 in limiting mitochondrial mass and maintaining mitochondrial integrity in the liver that has consequences for lipid metabolism and disease. ..
- Jana M, Mondal S, Gonzalez F, Pahan K. Gemfibrozil, a lipid-lowering drug, increases myelin genes in human oligodendrocytes via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-?. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:34134-48 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that gemfibrozil stimulates the expression of myelin genes via PPAR-? and that gemfibrozil, a prescribed drug for humans, may find further therapeutic use in demyelinating diseases. ..
- Lam Y, Sherman S. Activation of both Group I and Group II metabotropic glutamatergic receptors suppress retinogeniculate transmission. Neuroscience. 2013;242:78-84 pubmed publisher..We also found high-frequency stimulation of the layer 6 corticothalamic input produced a similar suppression of retinogeniculate EPSCs, suggesting layer 6 projection to LGN as a plausible source of activating these presynaptic mGluRs. ..
- Ferrara A, Liao X, Gil Ibáñez P, Marcinkowski T, Bernal J, Weiss R, et al. Changes in thyroid status during perinatal development of MCT8-deficient male mice. Endocrinology. 2013;154:2533-41 pubmed publisher..This report is the first to identify that the ontogenesis of TH abnormalities in Mct8-deficient mice manifests with TH excess in the perinatal period...
- Haber P, Ye M, Wysocki J, Maier C, Haque S, Batlle D. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2-independent action of presumed angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 activators: studies in vivo, ex vivo, and in vitro. Hypertension. 2014;63:774-82 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Ang II degradation in vitro and ex vivo was unaffected by XNT and diminazene. We conclude that the biological effects of these compounds are ACE2-independent and should not be attributed to the activation of this enzyme. ..
- Brown C, Reiner S. Development of lyme arthritis in mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:1573-6 pubmed..Thus, NO does not have a critical role in susceptibility to Lyme arthritis through tissue damage via an overexuberant inflammatory response, nor is it required in resistance through the clearance of spirochetes from tissues. ..
- Komarov P, Komarova E, Kondratov R, Christov Tselkov K, Coon J, Chernov M, et al. A chemical inhibitor of p53 that protects mice from the side effects of cancer therapy. Science. 1999;285:1733-7 pubmed..Thus, inhibitors of p53 may be useful drugs for reducing the side effects of cancer therapy and other types of stress associated with p53 induction. ..
- Raghavan S, Bauer C, Mundschau G, Li Q, Fuchs E. Conditional ablation of beta1 integrin in skin. Severe defects in epidermal proliferation, basement membrane formation, and hair follicle invagination. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1149-60 pubmed..This, in turn, is required for hemidesmosome stability, epidermal proliferation, and hair follicle morphogenesis. However, beta1 downregulation does not provide the trigger to terminally differentiate. ..
- Zhou P, Szot G, Guo Z, Kim O, He G, Wang J, et al. Role of STAT4 and STAT6 signaling in allograft rejection and CTLA4-Ig-mediated tolerance. J Immunol. 2000;165:5580-7 pubmed..These data suggest that the balance of type 1 and type 2 T lymphocyte differentiation is not critical for acute rejection but influences the robust tolerance induced by CD28/B7 blockade in this model. ..
- Zhang J, Bardos T, Li D, Gal I, Vermes C, Xu J, et al. Cutting edge: regulation of T cell activation threshold by CD28 costimulation through targeting Cbl-b for ubiquitination. J Immunol. 2002;169:2236-40 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that CD28 costimulation regulates the threshold for T cell activation, at least in part, by promoting Cbl-b ubiquitination and degradation. ..
- Kong J, Grando S, Li Y. Regulation of IL-1 family cytokines IL-1alpha, IL-1 receptor antagonist, and IL-18 by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in primary keratinocytes. J Immunol. 2006;176:3780-7 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that vitamin D modulates cutaneous inflammatory reactions, at least in part, by increasing the IL-1Ra to IL-1alpha ratio and suppressing IL-18 synthesis in keratinocytes. ..
- Rangnekar A, Lammert F, Igolnikov A, Green R. Quantitative trait loci analysis of mice administered the methionine-choline deficient dietary model of experimental steatohepatitis. Liver Int. 2006;26:1000-5 pubmed..These data indicate that experimental steatohepatitis is a polygenic disease with genes determining ALT, liver weight, and liver fibrosis. ..
- Oakley H, Cole S, Logan S, Maus E, Shao P, Craft J, et al. Intraneuronal beta-amyloid aggregates, neurodegeneration, and neuron loss in transgenic mice with five familial Alzheimer's disease mutations: potential factors in amyloid plaque formation. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10129-40 pubmed..Thus, 5XFAD mice rapidly recapitulate major features of AD amyloid pathology and may be useful models of intraneuronal Abeta42-induced neurodegeneration and amyloid plaque formation. ..
- Kuchay S, Chishti A. Calpain-mediated regulation of platelet signaling pathways. Curr Opin Hematol. 2007;14:249-54 pubmed..Since the combined deletion of calpain-1 and calpain-2 genes results in embryonic lethality, the calpain-1 null mouse remains the only experimental model available to study the physiological role of calpains in mammalian cells. ..
- Qtaishat N, Pepperberg D. Preservation of retinoid influx into eye tissues of ABCR-deficient mice. Curr Eye Res. 2007;32:1073-82 pubmed..020 +/- 0.007; n = 4). Thus, the absence of ABCR does not significantly compromise the passage of retinoid from the serum into the RPE under dark-adapted conditions...
- Dolniak B, Katsoulidis E, Carayol N, Altman J, Redig A, Tallman M, et al. Regulation of arsenic trioxide-induced cellular responses by Mnk1 and Mnk2. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:12034-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate an important role for Mnk kinases, acting as negative regulators for signals that control generation of arsenic trioxide-dependent apoptosis and antileukemic responses. ..
- Pini M, Gove M, Sennello J, van Baal J, Chan L, Fantuzzi G. Role and regulation of adipokines during zymosan-induced peritoneal inflammation in mice. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4080-5 pubmed publisher..These findings point to a complex role for adipokines in ZY-induced peritonitis and further emphasize the interplay between obesity and inflammation. ..
- Jana M, Pahan K. Induction of lymphotoxin-alpha by interleukin-12 p40 homodimer, the so-called biologically inactive molecule, but not IL-12 p70. Immunology. 2009;127:312-25 pubmed publisher..These studies delineate a novel biological function of p40(2) that is absent in IL-12. ..
- Wang A, Lukas T, Yuan M, Du N, Handa J, Neufeld A. Changes in retinal pigment epithelium related to cigarette smoke: possible relevance to smoking as a risk factor for age-related macular degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5304 pubmed publisher..These altered cell biological processes in the RPE may contribute to the formation of drusen in individuals who are cigarette smokers and underlie susceptibility to genetic mutations associated with AMD. ..
- Berry R, Klumpp D, Schaeffer A. Urothelial cultures support intracellular bacterial community formation by uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2009;77:2762-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, immortalized urothelial cultures that recapitulate IBC formation in vitro represent a novel system for the molecular and biochemical characterization of the UPEC intracellular life cycle. ..
- Brahmachari S, Pahan K. Suppression of regulatory T cells by IL-12p40 homodimer via nitric oxide. J Immunol. 2009;183:2045-58 pubmed publisher..This study, therefore, delineates an unprecedented biological function of p40(2) in the regulation of Foxp3 via IL-12Rbeta1-mediated NO production. ..
- Chastain E, Duncan D, Rodgers J, Miller S. The role of antigen presenting cells in multiple sclerosis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1812:265-74 pubmed publisher..This review will highlight relevant studies which have provided insight to the roles played by microglia, DCs and astrocytes in the context of CNS autoimmunity. ..
- Martin A, McCarthy D, Waltenbaugh C, Goings G, Luo X, Miller S. Ethylenecarbodiimide-treated splenocytes carrying male CD4 epitopes confer histocompatibility Y chromosome antigen transplant protection by inhibiting CD154 upregulation. J Immunol. 2010;185:3326-36 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, anti-CD40 treatment completely restores the function of Dby-specific CD4 cells but not Uty- or Smcy-specific CD8 cells...
- Dirisina R, Katzman R, Goretsky T, Managlia E, Mittal N, Williams D, et al. p53 and PUMA independently regulate apoptosis of intestinal epithelial cells in patients and mice with colitis. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1036-45 pubmed publisher..In mice and humans, colon inflammation induces apoptosis of IECs via p53-dependent and - independent mechanisms; PUMA also activates an intrinsic apoptosis pathway associated with colitis. ..
- Fenner D, Odili S, Hong H, Kobayashi Y, Kohsaka A, Siepka S, et al. Generation of N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) diabetes models in mice demonstrates genotype-specific action of glucokinase activators. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39560-72 pubmed publisher..The integration of forward genetic screening and biochemical profiling opens a pathway for preclinical development of mechanism-based diabetes therapies. ..
- Wang V, Bell R, Thakore R, Eyre D, Galante J, Li J, et al. Murine tendon function is adversely affected by aggrecan accumulation due to the knockout of ADAMTS5. J Orthop Res. 2012;30:620-6 pubmed publisher..Hence, the role of ADAMTS5 in tendon is to remove pericellular and interfibrillar aggrecan to maintain the molecular architecture responsible for normal tissue function. ..
- Ueda A, Zhou L, Stein P. Fyn promotes Th17 differentiation by regulating the kinetics of ROR?t and Foxp3 expression. J Immunol. 2012;188:5247-56 pubmed publisher..These results identify Fyn as a possible novel regulator of the developmental balance between the Th17 cell and T(REG) subsets. ..
- Hasina R, Mollberg N, Kawada I, Mutreja K, Kanade G, Yala S, et al. Critical role for the receptor tyrosine kinase EPHB4 in esophageal cancers. Cancer Res. 2013;73:184-94 pubmed publisher..EphB4 is robustly expressed and potentially serves as a novel biomarker for targeted therapy in esophageal cancers. ..
- Elegheert J, Cvetkovska V, Clayton A, Heroven C, Vennekens K, Smukowski S, et al. Structural Mechanism for Modulation of Synaptic Neuroligin-Neurexin Signaling by MDGA Proteins. Neuron. 2017;95:896-913.e10 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate a potentially brain-wide regulatory mechanism for NL-NRX signaling modulation. ..
- Ratajczak H, Aranyi C, Bradof J, Barbera P, Fugmann R, Fenters J, et al. Ethylene dibromide: evidence of systemic and immunologic toxicity without impairment of in vivo host defenses. In Vivo. 1994;8:879-84 pubmed..There was little difference between the dose that caused immune modulation and that which produced significant toxicity. ..
- Kowalczyk A, Bornslaeger E, Borgwardt J, Palka H, Dhaliwal A, Corcoran C, et al. The amino-terminal domain of desmoplakin binds to plakoglobin and clusters desmosomal cadherin-plakoglobin complexes. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:773-84 pubmed..These results identify a role for desmoplakin in organizing the desmosomal cadherin-plakoglobin complex and provide new insights into the hierarchy of protein interactions that occur in the desmosomal plaque. ..
- Dal Canto M, Calenoff M, Miller S, Vanderlugt C. Lymphocytes from mice chronically infected with Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus produce demyelination of organotypic cultures after stimulation with the major encephalitogenic epitope of myelin proteolipid protein. Epitope spreading in TMEV . J Neuroimmunol. 2000;104:79-84 pubmed..A similar phenomenon of epitope spreading from virus to organ specific antigens may take place in humans and be involved in a number of immune-mediated diseases, including MS. ..
- Macchia P, Takeuchi Y, Kawai T, Cua K, Gauthier K, Chassande O, et al. Increased sensitivity to thyroid hormone in mice with complete deficiency of thyroid hormone receptor alpha. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:349-54 pubmed..This is an in vivo demonstration that a TR deficiency can enhance sensitivity to TH. This effect is likely due to the abrogation of the constitutive "silencing" effect of TRalpha2 in tissues expressing the TRbeta isoforms. ..
- Zheng L, Calenoff M, Dal Canto M. Astrocytes, not microglia, are the main cells responsible for viral persistence in Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus infection leading to demyelination. J Neuroimmunol. 2001;118:256-67 pubmed
- Mata Greenwood E, Daeuble J, Grieco P, Dou J, McChesney J, Mehta R, et al. Novel esters of glaucarubolone as inducers of terminal differentiation of promyelocytic HL-60 cells and inhibitors of 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced preneoplastic lesion formation in mouse mammary organ culture. J Nat Prod. 2001;64:1509-13 pubmed..The novel finding of 1 and glaucarubolone analogues as potent inducers of differentiation leads to potential novel applications in the field of cancer...
- Pandey S, Roy A, Zhang H, Xu T. Partial deletion of the cAMP response element-binding protein gene promotes alcohol-drinking behaviors. J Neurosci. 2004;24:5022-30 pubmed..Furthermore, alcohol drinking and anxiety-like behaviors in CREB-haplodeficient mice may possibly be related to decreased expression of NPY and BDNF in the brains of these mice. ..
- Grinberg I, Millen K. The ZIC gene family in development and disease. Clin Genet. 2005;67:290-6 pubmed..Mutant analysis of these genes in mice has underscored the conserved developmental roles of these genes. Further, this analysis has begun to elucidate the molecular and developmental mechanisms underlying these important birth defects. ..
- Fuller A, Kang B, Kang H, Yahikozowa H, Dal Canto M, Kim B. Gender bias in Theiler's virus-induced demyelinating disease correlates with the level of antiviral immune responses. J Immunol. 2005;175:3955-63 pubmed..Male mice in contrast do not mount as effective an immune response, thereby allowing for eventual viral persistence in the CNS and continuous T cell expansion leading to clinical symptoms. ..
- Luque R, Huang Z, Shah B, Mazzone T, Kineman R. Effects of leptin replacement on hypothalamic-pituitary growth hormone axis function and circulating ghrelin levels in ob/ob mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;292:E891-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that leptin replacement has positive effects on multiple levels of GH axis function in ob/ob mice. ..
- Jana M, Palencia C, Pahan K. Fibrillar amyloid-beta peptides activate microglia via TLR2: implications for Alzheimer's disease. J Immunol. 2008;181:7254-62 pubmed..Taken together, these studies delineate a novel role of TLR2 signaling pathway in mediating fibrillar Abeta peptide-induced activation of microglia. ..
- Azar D, Casanova F, Mimura T, Jain S, Chang J. Effect of MT1-MMP deficiency and overexpression in corneal keratocytes on vascular endothelial cell migration and proliferation. Curr Eye Res. 2008;33:954-62 pubmed publisher..4+/-3.6%) than WT/MT1-MMP-transfected keratocytes (119.7+/-2.2%; p<0.001). Migration assays confirmed these findings. Keratocyte-derived MT1-MMP has anti-angiogenic effects in CPAE cells. ..
- Rudick C, Schaeffer A, Klumpp D. Pharmacologic attenuation of pelvic pain in a murine model of interstitial cystitis. BMC Urol. 2009;9:16 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that bladder-associated pelvic pain is attenuated by antagonists of NK1R and H2R. Therefore, NK1R and H2R represent direct therapeutic targets for pain in IC/PBS and potentially other chronic pain conditions. ..
- Castelvetri L, Givogri M, Zhu H, Smith B, Lopez Rosas A, Qiu X, et al. Axonopathy is a compounding factor in the pathogenesis of Krabbe disease. Acta Neuropathol. 2011;122:35-48 pubmed publisher..Neuronal damage occurred at later stages, when mutant mice were moribund and demyelinated. Altogether, these findings suggest a progressive dying-back neuronal dysfunction in Twitcher mutants...
- Bhalla S, Evens A, Dai B, Prachand S, Gordon L, Gartenhaus R. The novel anti-MEK small molecule AZD6244 induces BIM-dependent and AKT-independent apoptosis in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood. 2011;118:1052-61 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings show that the novel anti-MEK agent, AZD6244, induced apoptosis in DLBCL and that cell death was BIM-dependent. ..
- Lo J, Wang Y, Blake A, Yu G, Harvat T, Jeon H, et al. Islet preconditioning via multimodal microfluidic modulation of intermittent hypoxia. Anal Chem. 2012;84:1987-93 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the multimodal device can be applied to a variety of dynamic oxygen-metabolic studies in other ex vivo tissues. ..
- Knezevic I, Patel A, Sundaresan N, Gupta M, Solaro R, Nagalingam R, et al. A novel cardiomyocyte-enriched microRNA, miR-378, targets insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor: implications in postnatal cardiac remodeling and cell survival. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12913-26 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate the existence of a negative feedback loop between miR-378, IGF1R, and IGF1 that is associated with postnatal cardiac remodeling and with the regulation of cardiomyocyte survival during stress. ..
- Ochiai K, Maienschein Cline M, Simonetti G, Chen J, Rosenthal R, Brink R, et al. Transcriptional regulation of germinal center B and plasma cell fates by dynamical control of IRF4. Immunity. 2013;38:918-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support a model of "kinetic control" in which signaling-induced dynamics of IRF4 in activated B cells control their cell-fate outcomes...
- Arora P, Baena A, Yu K, Saini N, Kharkwal S, Goldberg M, et al. A single subset of dendritic cells controls the cytokine bias of natural killer T cell responses to diverse glycolipid antigens. Immunity. 2014;40:105-16 pubmed publisher..These findings show flexibility in the outcome of two-way communication between CD8?(+) dendritic cells and iNKT cells, providing a mechanism for biasing toward either proinflammatory or anti-inflammatory responses. ..
- Chutkow W, Samuel V, Hansen P, Pu J, Valdivia C, Makielski J, et al. Disruption of Sur2-containing K(ATP) channels enhances insulin-stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:11760-4 pubmed
- Ye Z, Petrof E, Boone D, Claud E, Sun J. Salmonella effector AvrA regulation of colonic epithelial cell inflammation by deubiquitination. Am J Pathol. 2007;171:882-92 pubmed..Increased beta-catenin further negatively regulates the NF-kappaB pathway. Our findings suggest an important role for AvrA in regulating host inflammatory responses through NF-kappaB and beta-catenin pathways. ..
- Stoyanova T, Yoon T, Kopanja D, Mokyr M, Raychaudhuri P. The xeroderma pigmentosum group E gene product DDB2 activates nucleotide excision repair by regulating the level of p21Waf1/Cip1. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:177-87 pubmed..Moreover, an increased level of p21(Waf1/Cip1) was shown to inhibit NER both in vitro and in vivo. Our results provide genetic evidence linking the regulation of p21(Waf1/Cip1) to the NER activity of DDB2. ..
- Profirovic J, Han J, Andreeva A, Neamu R, Pavlovic S, Vogel S, et al. Vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein deficiency potentiates PAR-1-induced increase in endothelial permeability in mouse lungs. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:1255-64 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that VASP may play critical and complex role in the regulation of thrombin-dependent disruption of the endothelial barrier function. ..
- Toya S, Li F, Bonini M, Gomez I, Mao M, Bachmaier K, et al. Interaction of a specific population of human embryonic stem cell-derived progenitor cells with CD11b+ cells ameliorates sepsis-induced lung inflammatory injury. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:313-24 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that an ACE+ subset of human embryonic stem cell-derived progenitor cells has a highly specialized anti-inflammatory function that ameliorates sepsis-induced lung inflammation and reduces mortality. ..
- Schoggins J, MacDuff D, Imanaka N, Gainey M, Shrestha B, Eitson J, et al. Pan-viral specificity of IFN-induced genes reveals new roles for cGAS in innate immunity. Nature. 2014;505:691-5 pubmed publisher..These studies uncover new paradigms for the preferential specificity of IFN-mediated antiviral pathways spanning several virus families. ..
- Lane A, Chapuy B, Lin C, Tivey T, Li H, Townsend E, et al. Triplication of a 21q22 region contributes to B cell transformation through HMGN1 overexpression and loss of histone H3 Lys27 trimethylation. Nat Genet. 2014;46:618-23 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of HMGN1, a nucleosome remodeling protein encoded on chromosome 21q22 (refs. 3,4,5), suppresses H3K27me3 and promotes both B cell proliferation in vitro and B-ALL in vivo. ..
- Kulkarni V, Naqvi A, Uttamani J, Nares S. MiRNA-Target Interaction Reveals Cell-Specific Post-Transcriptional Regulation in Mammalian Cell Lines. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Given the immense potential of miRNA as a therapeutic option, these findings highlight the necessity to thoroughly examine the mode of mRNA regulation in order to achieve the beneficial effects in targeting cells. ..
- Svensson E, Huggins G, Dardik F, Polk C, Leiden J. A functionally conserved N-terminal domain of the friend of GATA-2 (FOG-2) protein represses GATA4-dependent transcription. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:20762-9 pubmed
- Dasgupta S, Roy A, Jana M, Hartley D, Pahan K. Gemfibrozil ameliorates relapsing-remitting experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis independent of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;72:934-46 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest gemfibrozil, an approved drug for hyperlipidemia in humans, may find further therapeutic use in multiple sclerosis...
- Savage A, Constantinides M, Han J, Picard D, Martin E, Li B, et al. The transcription factor PLZF directs the effector program of the NKT cell lineage. Immunity. 2008;29:391-403 pubmed publisher..We suggest that PLZF is a transcriptional signature of NKT cells that directs their innate-like effector differentiation during thymic development. ..
- Syed M, Joo M, Abbas Z, Rodger D, Christman J, Mehta D, et al. Expression of TREM-1 is inhibited by PGD2 and PGJ2 in macrophages. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:3140-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel mechanism by which these prostaglandins exhibit anti-inflammatory effects and a new therapeutic approach to inhibition of TREM-1. ..
- Kopanja D, Roy N, Stoyanova T, Hess R, Bagchi S, Raychaudhuri P. Cul4A is essential for spermatogenesis and male fertility. Dev Biol. 2011;352:278-87 pubmed publisher..The observations identify a novel function of CUL4A in meiotic recombination and demonstrate an essential role of CUL4A in spermatogenesis. ..
- Maloku E, Kadriu B, Zhubi A, Dong E, Pibiri F, Satta R, et al. Selective ?4?2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists target epigenetic mechanisms in cortical GABAergic neurons. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1366-74 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that the ?(4)?(2) nAChR agonists may be better suited to control the epigenetic alterations of GABAergic neurons in schizophrenia than the ?(7) nAChR agonists. ..
- Wainwright D, Balyasnikova I, Han Y, Lesniak M. The expression of BST2 in human and experimental mouse brain tumors. Exp Mol Pathol. 2011;91:440-6 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data show that while BST2 expression increases during brain tumor progression in both human and mouse brain tumors, it has no apparent consequences to overall lifespan in an orthotopic mouse brain tumor model. ..
- Raychaudhuri P, Park H. FoxM1: a master regulator of tumor metastasis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:4329-33 pubmed publisher..FoxM1 directly activates genes involved in multiple steps of metastasis. In this review, we discuss the evidence for a master regulatory role of FoxM1 in tumor metastasis. ..
- Birukova A, Fu P, Wu T, Dubrovskyi O, Sarich N, Poroyko V, et al. Afadin controls p120-catenin-ZO-1 interactions leading to endothelial barrier enhancement by oxidized phospholipids. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:1883-90 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate for the first time a critical role of afadin in the regulation of vascular barrier function in vitro and in vivo via coordination of adherens junction-tight junction interactions. ..
- Kadriu B, Guidotti A, Chen Y, Grayson D. DNA methyltransferases1 (DNMT1) and 3a (DNMT3a) colocalize with GAD67-positive neurons in the GAD67-GFP mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:1951-64 pubmed publisher..These data do not exclude the expression of DNMT1 or DNMT3a in glutamatergic neurons and glia. However, they suggest that their expression is low compared with the levels present in GABAergic neurons. ..
- Qiu J, Heller J, Guo X, Chen Z, Fish K, Fu Y, et al. The aryl hydrocarbon receptor regulates gut immunity through modulation of innate lymphoid cells. Immunity. 2012;36:92-104 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover a previously unrecognized physiological role for Ahr in promoting innate gut immunity by regulating ROR?t(+) ILCs. ..
- Wang C, Du G, Zhang Z, Wen X, Calway T, Zhen Z, et al. Ginsenoside compound K, not Rb1, possesses potential chemopreventive activities in human colorectal cancer. Int J Oncol. 2012;40:1970-6 pubmed publisher..C-K, but not its parent ginsenoside Rb1, showed significant anti-proliferative and pro-apoptotic effects in human colorectal cancer cells. These results suggest that C-K could be a potentially effective anti-colorectal cancer agent. ..
- Shi V, Bao L, Chan L. Inflammation-driven dermal lymphangiogenesis in atopic dermatitis is associated with CD11b+ macrophage recruitment and VEGF-C up-regulation in the IL-4-transgenic mouse model. Microcirculation. 2012;19:567-79 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first demonstration of inflammation-mediated lymphangiogenesis in AD and that IL-4 triggered macrophage recruitment may be closely linked to this phenomenon. ..
- Myoung J, Kang H, Hou W, Meng L, Dal Canto M, Kim B. Epitope-specific CD8+ T cells play a differential pathogenic role in the development of a viral disease model for multiple sclerosis. J Virol. 2012;86:13717-28 pubmed publisher..These results strongly advocate for the careful consideration of CD8(+) T cell-mediated intervention of virus-induced inflammatory diseases. ..