Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Publications1393 found, 100 shown here
- Saelzler M, Spackman C, Liu Y, Martinez L, Harris J, Abe M. ERK8 down-regulates transactivation of the glucocorticoid receptor through Hic-5. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16821-32 pubmed
- Larghi A, Waxman I. Endoscopic direct cholangioscopy by using an ultra-slim upper endoscope: a feasibility study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;63:853-7 pubmed..Future advances in endoscope development, as well as specifically designed accessories, could lead to the next generation of intraductal diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Zhao W, Chen T, Vertel B, Colley K. The CMP-sialic acid transporter is localized in the medial-trans Golgi and possesses two specific endoplasmic reticulum export motifs in its carboxyl-terminal cytoplasmic tail. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31106-18 pubmed..This form of the transporter supplied limited amounts of CMP-sialic acid to Golgi sialyltransferases but was unable to completely rescue the transporter defect of Lec2 Chinese hamster ovary cells. ..
- Huang W, Zhu C, Wang H, Horvath E, Eklund E. The interferon consensus sequence-binding protein (ICSBP/IRF8) represses PTPN13 gene transcription in differentiating myeloid cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7921-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, these studies identified a mechanism for increased survival of mature myeloid cells in the ICSBP-deficient murine model and in human myeloid malignancies with decreased ICSBP expression. ..
- Rosman D, Phukan S, Huang C, Pasche B. TGFBR1*6A enhances the migration and invasion of MCF-7 breast cancer cells through RhoA activation. Cancer Res. 2008;68:1319-28 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence that TGFBR1*6A may contribute to cancer progression in a TGF-beta signaling-independent manner. ..
- Boone S, Guitart J, Gerami P. Follicular mycosis fungoides: a histopathologic, immunohistochemical, and genotypic review. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2008;143:409-14 pubmed..This review emphasizes and discusses the broad spectrum of histologic changes which may be seen in FMF, clues to the diagnosis, and some potential mimickers. ..
- Xie H, Wang M, Bonaldo M, Smith C, Rajaram V, Goldman S, et al. High-throughput sequence-based epigenomic analysis of Alu repeats in human cerebellum. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:4331-40 pubmed publisher..We anticipate the amplicons herein described to prove invaluable as epigenome representations, to monitor epigenomic alterations during normal development, in aging and in diseases such as cancer. ..
- Gandhi M, Srikar R, Yarin A, Megaridis C, Gemeinhart R. Mechanistic examination of protein release from polymer nanofibers. Mol Pharm. 2009;6:641-7 pubmed publisher..The results are consistent with a protein release mechanism dominated by desorption from the polymer surface, while the polycaprolactone nanofibers are not degrading at an appreciable rate. ..
- Maitland M, Kasza K, Karrison T, Moshier K, Sit L, Black H, et al. Ambulatory monitoring detects sorafenib-induced blood pressure elevations on the first day of treatment. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:6250-7 pubmed publisher..The magnitude of blood pressure elevation is highly variable and unpredictable but could be important in optimizing the therapeutic index of VEGF signaling pathway inhibitor therapy. ..
- Ouyang F, Christoffel K, Brickman W, Zimmerman D, Wang B, Xing H, et al. Adiposity is inversely related to insulin sensitivity in relatively lean Chinese adolescents: a population-based twin study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91:662-71 pubmed publisher..Adolescence is a critical period for rising adiposity and falling insulin sensitivity (IS), but the independent relation between adiposity and IS remains understudied...
- Winter J. Prognostic markers in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: Keys to the underlying biology. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2007;2:235-41 pubmed publisher..Studies of prognostic indicators in the context of modern therapy have the potential to identify new, rational therapeutic targets for this biologically diverse disease. ..
- Arora V, Prochaska M, Farnan J, D Arcy M, Schwanz K, Vinci L, et al. Problems after discharge and understanding of communication with their primary care physicians among hospitalized seniors: a mixed methods study. J Hosp Med. 2010;5:385-91 pubmed publisher..Systematic interventions to improve communication with PCPs during patient hospitalization are needed. ..
- Aratyn Schaus Y, Oakes P, Gardel M. Dynamic and structural signatures of lamellar actomyosin force generation. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1330-9 pubmed publisher..These data elucidate the dynamic and structural signatures of the actomyosin cytoskeleton at different levels of tension and set a foundation for quantitative models of cell and tissue mechanics...
- Berg A, Hesdorffer D, Zelko F. Special education participation in children with epilepsy: what does it reflect?. Epilepsy Behav. 2011;22:336-41 pubmed publisher..Twenty-four percent of school-aged cases were already receiving services at the time of initial epilepsy diagnosis. Young people with epilepsy have academic difficulties that are not explained simply by cognitive test scores...
- Radigan K, Wunderink R. Epidemic viral pneumonia and other emerging pathogens. Clin Chest Med. 2011;32:451-67 pubmed publisher..Better diagnostics have shown new viral pathogens regularly in epidemics, immunocompromised patients, and occasionally children. Despite better diagnostics, treatment for all but influenza is still very limited. ..
- Batai K, Shah E, Murphy A, Newsome J, Ruden M, Ahaghotu C, et al. Fine-mapping of IL16 gene and prostate cancer risk in African Americans. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012;21:2059-68 pubmed publisher..Our findings are significant given that there has been limited focus on the role of IL16 genetic polymorphisms on prostate cancer risk in AAs. ..
- Nicholson L, Miller A, Schwertz D, Sorokin O. Gender differences in acculturation, stress, and salivary cortisol response among former Soviet immigrants. J Immigr Minor Health. 2013;15:540-52 pubmed publisher..Among women, environmental mastery also reduced depressive symptoms, perceived stress, and alienation, but language mastery increased cortisol response and decreased alienation. ..
- Zhou Z, Sehn L, Rademaker A, Gordon L, LaCasce A, Crosby Thompson A, et al. An enhanced International Prognostic Index (NCCN-IPI) for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated in the rituximab era. Blood. 2014;123:837-42 pubmed publisher..The NCCN-IPI is easy to apply and more powerful than the IPI for predicting survival in the rituximab era. ..
- Kozlov N, Benzon H, Malik K. Epidural steroid injections: update on efficacy, safety, and newer medications for injection. Minerva Anestesiol. 2015;81:901-9 pubmed..Finally, the role of epidural disease -modifying antirheumatic drugs in the management of back pain needs to be better elucidated. ..
- Strom M, Silverberg J. Utilization of Preventive Health Care in Adults and Children With Eczema. Am J Prev Med. 2016;50:e33-44 pubmed publisher..Eczema in adults and children is associated with greater utilization of preventive health care and health maintenance, but not cancer screening. ..
- Goyal M, Johnson T, Chamberlain J, Casper T, Simmons T, Alessandrini E, et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antibiotic Use for Viral Illness in Emergency Departments. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Future research should seek to understand why racial and ethnic differences in overprescribing exist, including parental expectations, provider perceptions of parental expectations, and implicit provider bias. ..
- Warner M, Geraghty R, Martinez W, Montgomery R, Whitbeck J, Xu R, et al. A cell surface protein with herpesvirus entry activity (HveB) confers susceptibility to infection by mutants of herpes simplex virus type 1, herpes simplex virus type 2, and pseudorabies virus. Virology. 1998;246:179-89 pubmed..Differences in ability of HSV-1 and HSV-2 strains to use HveB for entry should influence the types of cells that can be infected and thereby account in part for serotype and strain differences in tissue tropism and pathogenicity. ..
- Narahashi T, Söderpalm B, Ericson M, Olausson P, Engel J, Zhang X, et al. Mechanisms of alcohol-nicotine interactions: alcoholics versus smokers. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001;25:152S-156S pubmed..G. Schmidt, U. Kalouti, M. Smolka, and M. Soyka; and (5) Effect of nicotine on voluntary ethanol intake and development of alcohol dependence in male rats, by L. Hedlund and G. Wahlström. ..
- Patrick D. Dual diagnosis: substance-related and psychiatric disorders. Nurs Clin North Am. 2003;38:67-73 pubmed..Treatment modalities that have proved or could prove most effective have been presented. The challenge now is to apply the modalities in an individualized plan of care, meeting the patient at his or her own personal level...
- Bodner A, Toth P, Oh S, Lu M, Tran P, Chin R, et al. CD4 dependence of gp120IIIB-CXCR4 interaction is cell-type specific. J Neuroimmunol. 2003;140:1-12 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the degree of hCD4 dependence of the agonist effects of gp120IIIB at the rCXCR4 receptor is cell-type specific. ..
- Botti S, Lyengar S. The psychological pleasure and pain of choosing: when people prefer choosing at the cost of subsequent outcome satisfaction. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2004;87:312-26 pubmed..Theoretical and practical implications are discussed. ..
- Innocenti F, Liu W, Chen P, Desai A, Das S, Ratain M. Haplotypes of variants in the UDP-glucuronosyltransferase1A9 and 1A1 genes. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2005;15:295-301 pubmed
- Rapp D, Lyon M, Bales G, Cook S. A role for the P2X receptor in urinary tract physiology and in the pathophysiology of urinary dysfunction. Eur Urol. 2005;48:303-8 pubmed..However, the detailed mechanism of P2X receptor function in bladder physiology and in urinary tract disease remains unknown and warrants further investigation. ..
- Aradi I, Erdi P. Computational neuropharmacology: dynamical approaches in drug discovery. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2006;27:240-3 pubmed
- Schafernak K, Bigio E. West Nile virus encephalomyelitis with polio-like paralysis & nigral degeneration. Can J Neurol Sci. 2006;33:407-10 pubmed
- Pilitsis J, Chu Y, Kordower J, Bergen D, Cochran E, Bakay R. Postmortem study of deep brain stimulation of the anterior thalamus: case report. Neurosurgery. 2008;62:E530-2; discussion E532 pubmed publisher..We report the first postmortem examination after bilateral DBS of the anterior nucleus of the thalamus for epilepsy. A comparison with control tissue showed no significant difference other than mild inflammation along the lead track. ..
- Baroody F, Foster K, Markaryan A, deTineo M, Naclerio R. Nasal ocular reflexes and eye symptoms in patients with allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2008;100:194-9 pubmed publisher..This reflex is reduced by an H1-receptor antagonist applied at the site of the challenge. The eye symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis probably arise, in part, from a naso-ocular reflex. ..
- Tunyogi Csapo M, Kis Toth K, Radacs M, Farkas B, Jacobs J, Finnegan A, et al. Cytokine-controlled RANKL and osteoprotegerin expression by human and mouse synovial fibroblasts: fibroblast-mediated pathologic bone resorption. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:2397-408 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that synovial fibroblasts may significantly contribute to bone resorption through modulation of RANKL and OPG production in a cytokine-rich milieu of inflamed joints. ..
- Shashoua A, Gill D, Barajas R, Dini M, August C, Kirschenbaum G, et al. Caseating granulomata caused by hemostatic agent posing as metastatic leiomyosarcoma. JSLS. 2009;13:226-8 pubmed..Use of gelatin-thrombin hemostatic agents may elicit a foreign body reaction leading to large giant cell granulomata. In this case, the presence of these granulomata mimicked metastatic disease. ..
- Ambrus A, Frolov M. The diverse roles of RNA helicases in RNAi. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:3500-5 pubmed..Surprisingly, these studies have revealed nontraditional roles, which may not even require the helicase activity. Such findings suggest that RNA helicases regulate gene silencing at nearly every level of the RNAi pathways. ..
- Khalyfa A, Bhushan B, Hegazi M, Kim J, Kheirandish Gozal L, Bhattacharjee R, et al. Fatty-acid binding protein 4 gene variants and childhood obesity: potential implications for insulin sensitivity and CRP levels. Lipids Health Dis. 2010;9:18 pubmed publisher..The presence of selective SNPs in the FABP4 gene may account for increased risk for insulin resistance or systemic inflammation in the context of obesity. ..
- Su E, Ernst L, Abdallah N, Chatterton R, Xin H, Monsivais D, et al. Estrogen receptor-? and fetoplacental endothelial prostanoid biosynthesis: a link to clinically demonstrated fetal growth restriction. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E1558-67 pubmed publisher..Endothelial ESR2 appears to be a master regulator of prostanoid biosynthesis and contributes to high-resistance fetoplacental blood flow, thereby increasing morbidity and mortality associated with FGR. ..
- Tsunekawa S, Demozay D, Briaud I, McCuaig J, Accili D, Stein R, et al. FoxO feedback control of basal IRS-2 expression in pancreatic ?-cells is distinct from that in hepatocytes. Diabetes. 2011;60:2883-91 pubmed publisher..The molecular mechanism for feedback control of IRS signaling to decrease IRS-2 expression in liver and ?-cells is quite distinct, with a predominant role played by FoxO3a in ?-cells. ..
- Musset B, Clark R, DeCoursey T, Petheo G, Geiszt M, Chen Y, et al. NOX5 in human spermatozoa: expression, function, and regulation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:9376-88 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings show that NOX5 is a major source of ROS in human spermatozoa and indicate a role for NOX5-dependent ROS generation in human spermatozoa motility. ..
- Chaiken N. Reduction of sacral pressure ulcers in the intensive care unit using a silicone border foam dressing. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2012;39:143-5 pubmed publisher..The remaining 2 subjects developed stage 2 pressure ulcers, one of whom also expired. Following application of a silicone-bordered foam dressing, we were able to achieve a HAPU of 1.8%. ..
- McLeod R, Boyer K, Lee D, Mui E, Wroblewski K, Karrison T, et al. Prematurity and severity are associated with Toxoplasma gondii alleles (NCCCTS, 1981-2009). Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1595-605 pubmed publisher..NE-II serotype was more prevalent in certain demographics and associated with prematurity and severe disease at birth. Both type II and NE-II infections improved with treatment. NCT00004317. ..
- Vinckevicius A, Chakravarti D. Chromatin immunoprecipitation: advancing analysis of nuclear hormone signaling. J Mol Endocrinol. 2012;49:R113-23 pubmed publisher..In this review, we give a brief summary of some of the most important discoveries in hormone signaling using ChIP and other derivative techniques and speculate on what the future may hold. ..
- Villaflor V, Allaix M, Minsky B, Herbella F, Patti M. Multidisciplinary approach for patients with esophageal cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:6737-46 pubmed publisher..The aim of this article is to describe the multidisciplinary approach used by an established team at a single high volume center for esophageal cancer, and to review the literature which guides our treatment recommendations. ..
- Huszar J, Payne C. MIR146A inhibits JMJD3 expression and osteogenic differentiation in human mesenchymal stem cells. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:1850-6 pubmed publisher..Modulation of MIR146A levels in hMSCs altered JMJD3 and RUNX2 expression and affected osteogenic differentiation. We conclude that JMJD3 promotes osteogenesis in differentiating hMSCs, with MIR146A regulating JMJD3. ..
- McClave S, Taylor B, Martindale R, Warren M, Johnson D, Braunschweig C, et al. Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient: Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.). JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016;40:159-211 pubmed publisher
- Kim W, Le T, Wei L, Poddar S, Bazzy J, Wang X, et al. [18F]CFA as a clinically translatable probe for PET imaging of deoxycytidine kinase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:4027-32 pubmed publisher..The selectivity of [(18)F]CFA for dCK and its favorable biodistribution in humans justify further studies to validate [(18)F]CFA PET as a new cancer biomarker for treatment stratification and monitoring. ..
- Yan H, Behun M, Cook M, Ranadive S, Lane Cordova A, Kappus R, et al. Differential Post-Exercise Blood Pressure Responses between Blacks and Caucasians. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153445 pubmed publisher..The heightened BP and vascular responses to exercise stimulus is consistent with the greater CVD risk in BL. ..
- Wang G, Shaw P, Townsend R, Anderson A, Xie D, Wang X, et al. The Associations between Peripheral Artery Disease and Physical Outcome Measures in Men and Women with Chronic Kidney Disease. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;35:111-20 pubmed publisher..001). These data suggest that tools used to evaluate the functional consequences of PAD should focus on walking activity and walking pace, as well as physical function, where sex-specific associations should be accounted for. ..
- Hulbert M, Panepinto J, Scott J, Liem R, Cook L, Simmons T, et al. Red blood cell transfusions during sickle cell anemia vaso-occlusive crises: a report from the magnesium in crisis (MAGiC) study. Transfusion. 2017;57:1891-1897 pubmed publisher..ACS increased the RR of transfusion in children hospitalized for VOC sevenfold. In children without ACS, transfusion was associated with lowest Hb concentration, particularly Hb concentrationÂ of less than 6.3 g/dL. ..
- Charytan D, Solomon S, Ivanovich P, Remuzzi G, Cooper M, McGill J, et al. ESRD After Heart Failure, Myocardial Infarction, or Stroke in Type 2 Diabetic Patients With CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:522-531 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the need for kidney-specific therapies in addition to treatment of CV risk factors to lower ESRD incidence in diabetes. ..
- Paller A. Laboratory tests for ichthyosis. Dermatol Clin. 1994;12:99-107 pubmed..Netherton's syndrome: Hair shaft examination. Neutral lipid storage disease: Check blood smear for vacuoles; skin biopsy (frozen). Refsum's disease: Plasma phytanic acid levels. Sjögren-Larsson syndrome: Assay of FAO activity...
- Ferguson M, Landreneau R, Hazelrigg S, Altorki N, Naunheim K, Zwischenberger J, et al. Long-term outcome after resection for bronchial carcinoid tumors. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000;18:156-61 pubmed..We sought to determine the long-term survival of patients treated for bronchial carcinoid tumors and whether lesser resections have had an effect on outcomes...
- Chang C, Jacobs I, Calilao G, Salti G. Metastatic infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the breast. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:e155-6 pubmed..To our knowledge, there have been no reported cases of metastasizing syringomatous adenomas. We used sentinel lymph node mapping to identify metastatic cells, leading to a diagnosis of infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the breast. ..
- Das S, Piccirilli J. General acid catalysis by the hepatitis delta virus ribozyme. Nat Chem Biol. 2005;1:45-52 pubmed..These results establish a specific role for a nucleobase in a ribozyme reaction and support the proposal that RNA nucleobases may function in a manner analogous to that of catalytic histidine residues in protein enzymes...
- Temkin V, Huang Q, Liu H, Osada H, Pope R. Inhibition of ADP/ATP exchange in receptor-interacting protein-mediated necrosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2215-25 pubmed..These observations demonstrate a novel mechanism initiated through death receptor ligation and mediated by RIP that results in the suppression of ANT activity and necrosis. ..
- Si W, Kang Q, Luu H, Park J, Luo Q, Song W, et al. CCN1/Cyr61 is regulated by the canonical Wnt signal and plays an important role in Wnt3A-induced osteoblast differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2955-64 pubmed..These findings suggest that tightly regulated CCN1/Cyr61 expression may play an important role in Wnt3A-induced osteoblast differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. ..
- Yu S, Reddy J. Transcription coactivators for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1771:936-51 pubmed..Identification of PPAR specific coactivators should further our understanding of the complexities of metabolic diseases associated with energy metabolism. ..
- He X, Pool M, Darcy K, Lim S, Auersperg N, Coon J, et al. Knockdown of polypyrimidine tract-binding protein suppresses ovarian tumor cell growth and invasiveness in vitro. Oncogene. 2007;26:4961-8 pubmed..Moreover, because of its novel role in tumor cell growth and invasiveness, shown here for the first time, PTB may be a novel therapeutic target in the treatment of ovarian cancer. ..
- Rashid R, Janjua S, Khachemoune A. Granuloma inguinale: a case report. Dermatol Online J. 2006;12:14 pubmed..Here we report a case of granuloma inguinale, review the literature, and discuss historical context, treatment options, and differential diagnosis...
- Montoya C, Pollard D, Martinson J, Kumari K, Wasserfall C, Mulder C, et al. Characterization of human invariant natural killer T subsets in health and disease using a novel invariant natural killer T cell-clonotypic monoclonal antibody, 6B11. Immunology. 2007;122:1-14 pubmed..These differences in iNKT cell subsets suggest that in humans the relative ratio of iNKT cell subsets may influence susceptibility vs. resistance to immune-mediated diseases. ..
- Apushkin M, Fishman G, Grover S, Janowicz M. Rebound of cystoid macular edema with continued use of acetazolamide in patients with retinitis pigmentosa. Retina. 2007;27:1112-8 pubmed..Results from our study suggest that rebound of CME with the continued use of acetazolamide observed by OCT may occur more frequently than previously appreciated. ..
- Khasawneh F, Huang J, Mir F, Srinivasan S, Tiruppathi C, Le Breton G. Characterization of isoprostane signaling: evidence for a unique coordination profile of 8-iso-PGF(2alpha) with the thromboxane A(2) receptor, and activation of a separate cAMP-dependent inhibitory pathway in human platelets. Biochem Pharmacol. 2008;75:2301-15 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results provide evidence for a novel isoprostane function in platelets which is mediated through a cAMP-coupled receptor. ..
- Demura M, Reierstad S, Innes J, Bulun S. Novel promoter I.8 and promoter usage in the CYP19 (aromatase) gene. Reprod Sci. 2008;15:1044-53 pubmed publisher..8 usage. The placenta contained the highest level of I.8-specific transcripts. This work underscores the complexity of the mechanisms that regulate normal and pathologic aromatase expression. ..
- Seo P, Quinn B, Khan A, Zeng L, Takoudis C, Hanada T, et al. Identification of erythrocyte p55/MPP1 as a binding partner of NF2 tumor suppressor protein/Merlin. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009;234:255-62 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that the p55-NF2 protein interaction may play a functional role in the regulation of apico-basal polarity and tumor suppression pathways in non-erythroid cells. ..
- Van Besien K, Kunavakkam R, Rondon G, de Lima M, Artz A, Oran B, et al. Fludarabine-melphalan conditioning for AML and MDS: alemtuzumab reduces acute and chronic GVHD without affecting long-term outcomes. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009;15:610-7 pubmed publisher..The addition of alemtuzumab to an RIC regimen dramatically reduces the incidence of aGVHD and cGVHD in patients with AML and MDS undergoing allogeneic transplantation. TRM, relapse risk, OS and DFS are not affected. ..
- Hardman J, Graf O, Kouloumberis P, Gao W, Chan M, Roitberg B. Clinical and functional outcomes of laminoplasty and laminectomy. Neurol Res. 2010;32:416-20 pubmed publisher..Cervical laminoplasty results in a shorter hospital stay and greater functional improvement at 4 months follow-up. ..
- Minogue P, Tong J, Arora A, Russell Eggitt I, Hunt D, Moore A, et al. A mutant connexin50 with enhanced hemichannel function leads to cell death. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:5837-45 pubmed publisher..The biochemical results indirectly suggest a potential novel mechanism by which connexin mutants could lead to cataracts: cytotoxicity due to enhanced hemichannel function. ..
- Kim A, Faber L, Warren W, Basu S, Wightman S, Weber J, et al. Pneumonectomy after chemoradiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: does "side" really matter?. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:937-43; discussion 944 pubmed publisher..Major complications negatively affected 5-year survival with right-sided pneumonectomies. ..
- Roman S, Lin Z, Pandolfino J, Kahrilas P. Distal contraction latency: a measure of propagation velocity optimized for esophageal pressure topography studies. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011;106:443-51 pubmed publisher..Future studies will test the clinical utility of this scheme. ..
- Chen D, Reierstad S, Fang F, Bulun S. JunD and JunB integrate prostaglandin E2 activation of breast cancer-associated proximal aromatase promoters. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:767-75 pubmed publisher..3/II via CRE(-211/-199). JunB also activates aromatase promoters I.3/II by maintaining JunD expression. Targeting JunD may abolish aromatase expression selectively in breast cancer tissue. ..
- Yin P, Navarro A, Fang F, Xie A, Coon J, Richardson C, et al. Early growth response-2 expression in uterine leiomyoma cells: regulation and function. Fertil Steril. 2011;96:439-44 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that TGF-?3 regulated Egr-2 gene expression and presented evidence that Egr-2 decreases collagen production and stimulates dermatopontin gene expression. ..
- Hynes D, Stroupe K, Fischer M, Reda D, Manning W, Browning M, et al. Comparing VA and private sector healthcare costs for end-stage renal disease. Med Care. 2012;50:161-70 pubmed publisher..001). Continued research addressing costs and effectiveness of care across public and private sector settings is critical in informing health policy options for patients with complex chronic illnesses such as ESRD. ..
- Kuhr F, Smith K, Song M, Levitan I, Yuan J. New mechanisms of pulmonary arterial hypertension: role of Ca²? signaling. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H1546-62 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the potential pathogenic role of Ca(2+) mobilization, regulation, and signaling in the development and progression of PAH. ..
- Wagner L, Robinson D, Weiss M, Katz M, Greipp P, Fonseca R, et al. Content development for the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Multiple Myeloma (FACT-MM): use of qualitative and quantitative methods for scale construction. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012;43:1094-104 pubmed publisher..0) as most relevant to HRQL. The 14-item FACT-MM PRO measure was developed based on expert clinician and patient data, ensuring relevance to HRQL for MM patients. ..
- Kidambi T, Toto E, Ho N, Taft T, Hirano I. Temporal trends in the relative prevalence of dysphagia etiologies from 1999-2009. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:4335-41 pubmed publisher..EoE has emerged as a dominant cause of dysphagia in adults. Whether this was due to a rise in disease incidence or increased recognition is unclear. ..
- Guitart J, Weisenburger D, Subtil A, Kim E, Wood G, Duvic M, et al. Cutaneous ?? T-cell lymphomas: a spectrum of presentations with overlap with other cytotoxic lymphomas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012;36:1656-65 pubmed publisher..This is the largest study to date of cutaneous ?? T-cell lymphomas and demonstrates a variety of clinical and pathologic presentations with a predictable poor outcome. ..
- Cole J, Popovich K. Impact of community-associated methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus on HIV-infected patients. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2013;10:244-53 pubmed publisher..This article explores these associations and reviews the current knowledge of the epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment of CA-MRSA in HIV-infected persons. ..
- Till H, Ker J, Myford C, Stirling K, Mires G. Constructing and evaluating a validity argument for the final-year ward simulation exercise. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2015;20:1263-89 pubmed publisher..Given the body of evidence collected thus far, their intended interpretation seems defensible. ..
- Short M, Manohar C, Furtado M, Ghadge G, Wolinsky S, Thimmapaya B, et al. Nucleotide and derived amino-acid sequences of the CRE-binding proteins from rat C6 glioma and HeLa cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:4290 pubmed
- Hopkinson S, Baker S, Jones J. Molecular genetic studies of a human epidermal autoantigen (the 180-kD bullous pemphigoid antigen/BP180): identification of functionally important sequences within the BP180 molecule and evidence for an interaction between BP180 and alpha 6 integrin. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:117-25 pubmed..Perturbation of this latter domain by human bullous pemphigoid autoantibodies may explain the loss of epidermal cell-dermis attachment that characterizes the BP disease. ..
- Malakooti J, Dahdal R, Schmidt L, Layden T, Dudeja P, Ramaswamy K. Molecular cloning, tissue distribution, and functional expression of the human Na(+)/H(+) exchanger NHE2. Am J Physiol. 1999;277:G383-90 pubmed..1 mM amiloride. These data indicate that this cDNA is the true human NHE2 cDNA and that the encoded protein is capable of catalyzing Na(+)/H(+) exchange activity. ..
- Noskin G, Peterson L. Engineering infection control through facility design. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:354-7 pubmed..We describe historical landmarks about hospital design, modern facility design, and specific designs to prevent acquisition and spread of infections such as tuberculosis and aspergillosis. ..
- Chen L, Kawano T, Bajic S, Kaziro Y, Itoh H, Art J, et al. A glutamate residue at the C terminus regulates activity of inward rectifier K+ channels: implication for Andersen's syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:8430-5 pubmed..R., Iannaccone, S. T., Brunt, E., Barohn, R., et al. (2001) Cell 105, 511-519]. Our interpretation is that this region of the glutamate residue is crucial in relaying the activating message from the ligand sensor region to the gate...
- Chung C, Buchman A. Postoperative jaundice and total parenteral nutrition-associated hepatic dysfunction. Clin Liver Dis. 2002;6:1067-84 pubmed..Careful monitoring of patients is warranted in these circumstances and combined transplantation of the liver and small bowel may be the only possibility for long-term survival for such patients with progressive liver disease...
- Burton W, Chen C, Conti D, Schultz A, Edington D. Measuring the relationship between employees' health risk factors and corporate pharmaceutical expenditures. J Occup Environ Med. 2003;45:793-802 pubmed..Pharmaceutical expenditures should be considered by corporations in their estimates of total health-related costs and in prioritizing disease management initiatives based on health risk appraisal data. ..
- Kramer T. Medscape psychopharmacology today--do medications really expire?. MedGenMed. 2003;5:28 pubmed