Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on endoplasmic reticulum in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Topic: endoplasmic reticulum
- Turyk M, Golub T, Wood N, Hawkins J, Wilbanks G. Growth and characterization of epithelial cells from normal human uterine ectocervix and endocervix. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol. 1989;25:544-56 pubmed
- Zhao W, Chen T, Vertel B, Colley K. The CMP-sialic acid transporter is localized in the medial-trans Golgi and possesses two specific endoplasmic reticulum export motifs in its carboxyl-terminal cytoplasmic tail. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31106-18 pubmed..This form of the transporter supplied limited amounts of CMP-sialic acid to Golgi sialyltransferases but was unable to completely rescue the transporter defect of Lec2 Chinese hamster ovary cells. ..
- Cheng G, Feng Z, He B. Herpes simplex virus 1 infection activates the endoplasmic reticulum resident kinase PERK and mediates eIF-2alpha dephosphorylation by the gamma(1)34.5 protein. J Virol. 2005;79:1379-88 pubmed..Together, these observations suggest that regulation of eIF-2alpha phosphorylation by the gamma(1)34.5 protein is an efficient way to antagonize the inhibitory activity of PKR as well as PERK during productive infection. ..
- Sevilla L, Comstock S, Swier K, Miller J. Endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation-induced dissociation of class II invariant chain complexes containing a glycosylation-deficient form of p41. J Immunol. 2004;173:2586-93 pubmed..These results suggest that the ERAD machinery can induce subunit disassembly, specifically targeting misfolded subunits to degradation and sparing properly folded subunits for reassembly and/or export. ..
- Wanamaker C, Green W. Endoplasmic reticulum chaperones stabilize nicotinic receptor subunits and regulate receptor assembly. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31113-23 pubmed..Our results suggest that interactions with the chaperones regulate the levels of nAChRs assembled in the ER by stabilizing and sequestering subunits during assembly. ..
- Lerner D, McCoy D, Isabella A, Mahowald A, Gerlach G, Chaudhry T, et al. A Rab10-dependent mechanism for polarized basement membrane secretion during organ morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2013;24:159-68 pubmed publisher..Significantly, Tango1 and Rab10 are also planar polarized at the basal epithelial surface. We propose that the spatial control of BM production along two tissue axes promotes exocytic efficiency, BM remodeling, and organ morphogenesis...
- Qian R, Chen C, Colley K. Location and mechanism of alpha 2,6-sialyltransferase dimer formation. Role of cysteine residues in enzyme dimerization, localization, activity, and processing. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:28641-9 pubmed..The Cys-139 mutant also exhibited increased dimer formation suggesting that ST6Gal I dimers may be critical in the oligomerization process involved in stable ST6Gal I Golgi localization. ..
- Lange Y, Ye J, Rigney M, Steck T. Cholesterol movement in Niemann-Pick type C cells and in cells treated with amphiphiles. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17468-75 pubmed
- Reinke C, Kozik P, Glick B. Golgi inheritance in small buds of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is linked to endoplasmic reticulum inheritance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:18018-23 pubmed..This basic mechanism of Golgi inheritance may be conserved from yeast to vertebrate cells. ..
- Kotnik Halavaty K, Regan J, Mehta K, Laimins L. Human papillomavirus E5 oncoproteins bind the A4 endoplasmic reticulum protein to regulate proliferative ability upon differentiation. Virology. 2014;452-453:223-30 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that the A4 protein is an important E5 binding partner that plays a role in regulating cell proliferation ability upon differentiation. ..
- Ravindran S, Narayanan K, Eapen A, Hao J, Ramachandran A, Blond S, et al. Endoplasmic reticulum chaperone protein GRP-78 mediates endocytosis of dentin matrix protein 1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29658-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, binding of DMP1 with GRP-78 receptor might be an important mechanism by which DMP1 is internalized and transported to the nucleus during bone and tooth development. ..
- Tamarina N, Kuznetsov A, Philipson L. Reversible translocation of EYFP-tagged STIM1 is coupled to calcium influx in insulin secreting beta-cells. Cell Calcium. 2008;44:533-44 pubmed publisher..We conclude from this data that in these cells EYFP-STIM1 is delivered to a peri-PM location from the ER upon store depletion and this trafficking is reversibly blocked by 2-APB. ..
- Berger K, Kelly S, Jordan T, Tartell M, Randall G. Hepatitis C virus stimulates the phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase III alpha-dependent phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate production that is essential for its replication. J Virol. 2011;85:8870-83 pubmed publisher..5 cells and from dually transfected 293T cells. In sum, these results suggest that HCV NS5A modulation of PI4KA-dependent PI4P production influences replication complex formation. ..
- Ito D, Walker J, Thompson C, Moroz I, Lin W, Veselits M, et al. Characterization of stanniocalcin 2, a novel target of the mammalian unfolded protein response with cytoprotective properties. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9456-69 pubmed..Consequently, induced STC2 expression is an essential feature of survival component of the UPR. ..
- Glick B. New insights into protein secretion: TANGO1 runs rings around the COPII coat. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:859-861 pubmed publisher..Rings of TANGO1 surround COPII, implicating TANGO1 in organizing ER exit sites and in regulating COPII coat dynamics and geometry. ..
- Ravindran S, Gao Q, Ramachandran A, Blond S, Predescu S, George A. Stress chaperone GRP-78 functions in mineralized matrix formation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8729-39 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study represents a paradigm shift in the biological function of GRP-78. ..
- Alexander J, Sagher D, Krivoshein A, Criado M, Jefford G, Green W. Ric-3 promotes alpha7 nicotinic receptor assembly and trafficking through the ER subcompartment of dendrites. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10112-26 pubmed publisher..In neurons, Ric-3 ER retention appears to promote transport within the dendritic ER subcompartment, thereby restricting alpha7 trafficking to dendrites and preventing axonal transport. ..
- Gill M, Vivithanaporn P, Swanson G. Glutamate binding and conformational flexibility of ligand-binding domains are critical early determinants of efficient kainate receptor biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:14503-12 pubmed publisher..Glutamate receptor LBDs therefore must access multiple conformations for efficient biogenesis...
- Huang J, Viswakarma N, Yu S, Jia Y, Bai L, Vluggens A, et al. Progressive endoplasmic reticulum stress contributes to hepatocarcinogenesis in fatty acyl-CoA oxidase 1-deficient mice. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:703-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that progressive PPAR?- and p8-mediated ER stress contribute to the hepatocarcinogenesis in ACOX1(-/-) mice. ..
- Lipatova Z, Shah A, Kim J, Mulholland J, Segev N. Regulation of ER-phagy by a Ypt/Rab GTPase module. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3133-44 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that individual Ypt/Rabs, in the context of distinct modules, can coordinate alternative trafficking steps from one cellular compartment to different destinations...
- Gass J, Jiang H, Wek R, Brewer J. The unfolded protein response of B-lymphocytes: PERK-independent development of antibody-secreting cells. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:1035-43 pubmed..These data provide clear evidence for differential activation and utilization of distinct UPR components as activated B-lymphocytes increase Ig synthesis and differentiate into specialized secretory cells. ..
- Bhattacharyya S, Hope T. Full-length Ebola glycoprotein accumulates in the endoplasmic reticulum. Virol J. 2011;8:11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that full-length GP, but not GP?mucin, accumulates in the ER in close proximity to the nuclear membrane, which may underscore its cytotoxic property. ..
- Coller K, Heaton N, Berger K, Cooper J, Saunders J, Randall G. Molecular determinants and dynamics of hepatitis C virus secretion. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002466 pubmed publisher..This study identifies many new host cofactors of HCV egress, while presenting dynamic studies of HCV core trafficking in infected cells. ..
- McNally B, Somasundaram A, Jairaman A, Yamashita M, Prakriya M. The C- and N-terminal STIM1 binding sites on Orai1 are required for both trapping and gating CRAC channels. J Physiol. 2013;591:2833-50 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the C- and N-terminal STIM1 binding sites are both essential for multiple aspects of Orai1 function including STIM1-Orai1 association, Orai1 trapping, and channel activation...
- Losev E, Papanikou E, Rossanese O, Glick B. Cdc1p is an endoplasmic reticulum-localized putative lipid phosphatase that affects Golgi inheritance and actin polarization by activating Ca2+ signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:3336-43 pubmed publisher..The combined data fit a model in which the cdc1 mutant phenotypes result from accumulation of a phosphorylated lipid that activates Ca(2+) signaling. ..
- Welsh L, Tong A, Boone C, Jensen O, Otte S. Genetic and molecular interactions of the Erv41p-Erv46p complex involved in transport between the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi complex. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4730-40 pubmed..We report a strong interaction between the Erv41p-Erv46p complex and endoplasmic reticulum glucosidase II. Strains lacking a cycling Erv41p-Erv46p complex display a mild glycoprotein processing defect. ..
- Bevis B, Hammond A, Reinke C, Glick B. De novo formation of transitional ER sites and Golgi structures in Pichia pastoris. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:750-6 pubmed..Golgi dynamics are similar, although late Golgi elements often move away from tER sites towards regions of polarized growth. Our results can be explained by assuming that tER sites give rise to Golgi cisternae that continually mature...
- Christianson J, Green W. Regulation of nicotinic receptor expression by the ubiquitin-proteasome system. EMBO J. 2004;23:4156-65 pubmed..Our data show that AChR surface expression is regulated by the UPS through ERAD, whose activity determines oligomeric receptor assembly efficiency. ..
- Lin W, Bailey S, Ho H, Harding H, Ron D, Miller S, et al. The integrated stress response prevents demyelination by protecting oligodendrocytes against immune-mediated damage. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:448-56 pubmed..Our results indicate that IFN-gamma activation of PERK in mature oligodendrocytes attenuates EAE severity and suggest that therapeutic approaches to activate the ISR could prove beneficial in MS. ..
- Bhattacharyya D, Glick B. Two mammalian Sec16 homologues have nonredundant functions in endoplasmic reticulum (ER) export and transitional ER organization. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:839-49 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation data indicate that Sec16L and Sec16S are each present at multiple copies in a heteromeric complex. We infer that mammalian cells have preserved and extended the function of Sec16. ..
- Ma J, Qian R, Rausa F, Colley K. Two naturally occurring alpha2,6-sialyltransferase forms with a single amino acid change in the catalytic domain differ in their catalytic activity and proteolytic processing. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:672-9 pubmed
- Connerly P, Esaki M, Montegna E, Strongin D, Levi S, Soderholm J, et al. Sec16 is a determinant of transitional ER organization. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1439-47 pubmed..However, little is known about how COPII components are concentrated at tER sites. The budding yeast Pichia pastoris contains discrete tER sites and is, therefore, an ideal system for studying tER organization...
- Morozova N, Liang Y, Tokarev A, Chen S, Cox R, Andrejic J, et al. TRAPPII subunits are required for the specificity switch of a Ypt-Rab GEF. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:1263-9 pubmed..Such a 'switchable' GEF could ensure sequential activation of these Ypts, thereby coordinating Golgi entry and exit. ..
- Wang L, Popko B, Roos R. The unfolded protein response in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1008-15 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the UPR has a significant influence on FALS, and suggest that enhancing the UPR may be effective in treating ALS. ..
- Okamoto Y, Bernstein J, Shikano S. Role of C-terminal membrane-proximal basic residues in cell surface trafficking of HIV coreceptor GPR15 protein. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:9189-99 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the C-terminal MPBRs are critically involved in mediating the anterograde trafficking of a broad range of membrane proteins, including GPCRs. ..
- Chun T, Grandea A, Lybarger L, Forman J, van Kaer L, Wang C. Functional roles of TAP and tapasin in the assembly of M3-N-formylated peptide complexes. J Immunol. 2001;167:1507-14 pubmed..TAP is essential for stabilization of M3 in the ER, whereas tapasin is critical for loading of N-formylated peptides onto the intracellular pool of M3. However, neither TAP nor tapasin is required for ER retention of empty M3...
- Zeiger W, Ito D, Swetlik C, Oh Hora M, Villereal M, Thinakaran G. Stanniocalcin 2 is a negative modulator of store-operated calcium entry. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3710-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings implicate the modulation of SOCE through STC2 expression as one of the prosurvival measures of the unfolded protein response. ..
- Gusarova G, Trejo H, Dada L, Briva A, Welch L, Hamanaka R, et al. Hypoxia leads to Na,K-ATPase downregulation via Ca(2+) release-activated Ca(2+) channels and AMPK activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3546-56 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that during hypoxia, calcium entry via CRAC channels leads to AMPK activation, Na,K-ATPase downregulation, and alveolar epithelial dysfunction. ..
- Rossanese O, Soderholm J, Bevis B, Sears I, O CONNOR J, Williamson E, et al. Golgi structure correlates with transitional endoplasmic reticulum organization in Pichia pastoris and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:69-81 pubmed..cerevisiae has a delocalized tER and therefore generates a dispersed Golgi. These findings open the way for a molecular genetic analysis of tER sites. ..
- Swanson R, Locher M, Hochstrasser M. A conserved ubiquitin ligase of the nuclear envelope/endoplasmic reticulum that functions in both ER-associated and Matalpha2 repressor degradation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2660-74 pubmed..The likely human ortholog of DOA10 is in the cri-du-chat syndrome critical region on chromosome 5p, suggesting that defective ubiquitin ligation might contribute to this common genetic disorder. ..
- Struyf F, Plate A, Spear P. Deletion of the second immunoglobulin-like domain of nectin-1 alters its intracellular processing and localization and ability to mediate entry of herpes simplex virus. J Virol. 2005;79:3841-5 pubmed publisher..The failure of nectin-1-Delta2 to mediate HSV entry probably resulted from its failure to be transported to a membrane targeted by HSV for viral entry...
- Veis A, Sfeir C, Wu C. Phosphorylation of the proteins of the extracellular matrix of mineralized tissues by casein kinase-like activity. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1997;8:360-79 pubmed..Thus, the phosphorylation reactions in mineralized tissues may be a tightly regulated hierarchical or sequential cascade of intracellular phosphorylation events. ..
- Bartles J, Wierda A, Zheng L. Identification and characterization of espin, an actin-binding protein localized to the F-actin-rich junctional plaques of Sertoli cell ectoplasmic specializations. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 6):1229-39 pubmed
- Lange Y, Ory D, Ye J, Lanier M, Hsu F, Steck T. Effectors of rapid homeostatic responses of endoplasmic reticulum cholesterol and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:1445-55 pubmed..On the other hand, 27-hydroxycholesterol, rather than cholesterol itself or biosynthetic precursors of cholesterol, stimulates the rapid inactivation of HMGR in response to high levels of cholesterol. ..
- Lin W, Harding H, Ron D, Popko B. Endoplasmic reticulum stress modulates the response of myelinating oligodendrocytes to the immune cytokine interferon-gamma. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:603-12 pubmed..Therefore, the hypersensitivity of PERK+/- mice to IFN-gamma implicates ER stress in demyelinating disorders that are induced by CNS inflammation. ..
- Okamoto Y, Shikano S. Phosphorylation-dependent C-terminal binding of 14-3-3 proteins promotes cell surface expression of HIV co-receptor GPR15. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7171-81 pubmed publisher..Thus 14-3-3 proteins play multiple roles in biogenesis and trafficking of an HIV co-receptor GPR15 to control its cell surface density in response to the phosphorylation signal. ..
- Montegna E, Bhave M, Liu Y, Bhattacharyya D, Glick B. Sec12 binds to Sec16 at transitional ER sites. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31156 pubmed publisher..Similarly, we demonstrate that human Sec12 is concentrated at tER sites, likely due to association with a C-terminal fragment of Sec16A. These results suggest that a Sec12-Sec16 interaction has a conserved role in ER export. ..
- Lipatova Z, Belogortseva N, Zhang X, Kim J, Taussig D, Segev N. Regulation of selective autophagy onset by a Ypt/Rab GTPase module. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:6981-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, because Atg11 does not play a role in ER-to-Golgi transport, we demonstrate here that Ypt/Rabs can regulate two independent membrane-transport processes by recruiting process-specific effectors...
- Pearce S, Liu H, Jordan V. Modulation of estrogen receptor alpha function and stability by tamoxifen and a critical amino acid (Asp-538) in helix 12. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:7630-8 pubmed..D538A complex. These data further illustrate the complex role of specific surface amino acids in the modulation of the concentration and the estrogenicity of the 4-OHT.ER complex. ..
- Fu J, Bouvier M. Determinants of the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) lumenal-domain of the adenovirus serotype 2 E3-19K protein for association with and ER-retention of major histocompatibility complex class I molecules. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:532-8 pubmed publisher..This knowledge is important for our understanding of the molecular basis of Ad pathogenesis. ..
- Grasberger H, De Deken X, Miot F, Pohlenz J, Refetoff S. Missense mutations of dual oxidase 2 (DUOX2) implicated in congenital hypothyroidism have impaired trafficking in cells reconstituted with DUOX2 maturation factor. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:1408-21 pubmed..Rather, DUOXA2 allows rapid ER exit of folded DUOX2 or enhanced degradation of mutant DUOX2 proteins not competent for ER exit. DUOXA2 may thus be part of a secondary quality control system specific for DUOX2. ..
- Drisdel R, Manzana E, Green W. The role of palmitoylation in functional expression of nicotinic alpha7 receptors. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10502-10 pubmed..In conclusion, our data indicate a function for protein palmitoylation in which palmitoylation of assembling alpha7 subunits in the ER has a role in the formation of functional BgtRs. ..
- Rabie A, Veis A. An immunocytochemical study of the routes of secretion of collagen and phosphophoryn from odontoblasts into dentin. Connect Tissue Res. 1995;31:197-209 pubmed
- Wanamaker C, Green W. N-linked glycosylation is required for nicotinic receptor assembly but not for subunit associations with calnexin. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:33800-10 pubmed..Our data indicate that CN associates with AChR subunits without N-linked glycan interactions. Furthermore, CN-subunit associations only occur early in AChR assembly and have no role in events later that require N-linked glycosylation. ..
- Belova L, Sharma S, Brickley D, Nicolarsen J, Patterson C, Conzen S. Ubiquitin-proteasome degradation of serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase-1 (SGK-1) is mediated by the chaperone-dependent E3 ligase CHIP. Biochem J. 2006;400:235-44 pubmed..CHIP-mediated regulation of SGK-1 steady-state levels alters SGK-1 kinase activity. These data suggest a model that integrates CHIP function with regulation of the PI3K/SGK-1 pathway in the stress response. ..