Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Evanston, Illinois, United States
Locale: Evanston, Illinois, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Bejsovec A. Wnt signalling shows its versatility. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R684-7 pubmed..Recent studies have revealed that regulatory interactions at several steps in the pathway can modify its outcome, helping to explain how the same pathway can, in different contexts, have very different characteristics and consequences. ..
- Li X, Carthew R. A microRNA mediates EGF receptor signaling and promotes photoreceptor differentiation in the Drosophila eye. Cell. 2005;123:1267-77 pubmed..Expression is switched when EGFR signaling transiently triggers Yan degradation. This two-tiered mechanism explains how signal transduction activity can robustly generate a stable change in gene-expression patterns. ..
- Motzny C, Holmgren R. The Drosophila cubitus interruptus protein and its role in the wingless and hedgehog signal transduction pathways. Mech Dev. 1995;52:137-50 pubmed..The role of ci in cell-cell signaling and pattern formation was examined in double mutants of ci with patched and zeste-white3/shaggy. ..
- Bayraktar J, Zygmunt D, Carthew R. Par-1 kinase establishes cell polarity and functions in Notch signaling in the Drosophila embryo. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:711-21 pubmed..Epistasis analysis indicates that Par-1 functions upstream of Notch and is critical for proper localization of the Notch ligand Delta. ..
- Lee Y, Pressman S, Andress A, Kim K, White J, Cassidy J, et al. Silencing by small RNAs is linked to endosomal trafficking. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1150-6 pubmed publisher..It may provide a means to enhance the dynamics of RNA silencing in the cytoplasm. ..
- Kilman V, Allada R. Genetic analysis of ectopic circadian clock induction in Drosophila. J Biol Rhythms. 2009;24:368-78 pubmed publisher..While other factors may contribute, these results indicate that persistent Clock induction is uniquely capable of broadly inducing ectopic rhythms even in adults, consistent with a special role at the top of a clock gene hierarchy. ..
- Gerbasi V, Golden D, Hurtado S, Sontheimer E. Proteomics identification of Drosophila small interfering RNA-associated factors. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010;9:1866-72 pubmed publisher..Functional analysis of these novel siRNA-associated proteins suggests that these factors may play an important role in RNAi. ..
- Pfeiffenberger C, Allada R. Cul3 and the BTB adaptor insomniac are key regulators of sleep homeostasis and a dopamine arousal pathway in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003003 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results establish inc and Cul3 as important new players in setting the sleep homeostat and a dopaminergic arousal pathway in Drosophila...
- Kennerdell J, Yamaguchi S, Carthew R. RNAi is activated during Drosophila oocyte maturation in a manner dependent on aubergine and spindle-E. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1884-9 pubmed
- Slusarski D, Motzny C, Holmgren R. Mutations that alter the timing and pattern of cubitus interruptus gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;139:229-40 pubmed..Thus, proper regulation of both the ci mRNA and protein appears to be critical for normal Drosophila development. ..
- Dierick H, Bejsovec A. Functional analysis of Wingless reveals a link between intercellular ligand transport and dorsal-cell-specific signaling. Development. 1998;125:4729-38 pubmed..Thus we have identified a region of Wingless that is required for both the transcytotic process and signal transduction in dorsal cell populations, revealing an unexpected link between these two aspects of Wg function. ..
- Hepker J, Blackman R, Holmgren R. Cubitus interruptus is necessary but not sufficient for direct activation of a wing-specific decapentaplegic enhancer. Development. 1999;126:3669-77 pubmed
- Takahashi J. Circadian clock genes are ticking. Science. 1992;258:238-40 pubmed
- Lim C, Lee J, Choi C, Kilman V, Kim J, Park S, et al. The novel gene twenty-four defines a critical translational step in the Drosophila clock. Nature. 2011;470:399-403 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that TYF potently activates PER translation in pacemaker neurons to sustain robust rhythms, revealing a new and important role for translational control in the Drosophila circadian clock. ..
- Kim K, Lee Y, Carthew R. Conversion of pre-RISC to holo-RISC by Ago2 during assembly of RNAi complexes. RNA. 2007;13:22-9 pubmed..We have also identified a new intermediate complex in the RISC assembly pathway, pre-RISC, in which Ago2 is stably bound to double-stranded siRNA. ..
- Vitaterna M, Selby C, Todo T, Niwa H, Thompson C, Fruechte E, et al. Differential regulation of mammalian period genes and circadian rhythmicity by cryptochromes 1 and 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:12114-9 pubmed..The differential regulation of mPer1 and mPer2 by light in Cry double mutants reveals a surprising complexity in the role of cryptochromes in mammals. ..
- Li S, Xu C, Carthew R. Phyllopod acts as an adaptor protein to link the sina ubiquitin ligase to the substrate protein tramtrack. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6854-65 pubmed..These results illustrate how Ras signaling can modulate an E3 ligase activity not by the phosphorylation of substrate proteins but by regulating the expression of specific E3 adaptors. ..
- Nelson K, Furuse M, Beitel G. The Drosophila Claudin Kune-kune is required for septate junction organization and tracheal tube size control. Genetics. 2010;185:831-9 pubmed publisher..Double- and triple-mutant combinations of Sinuous and Megatrachea with Kune-kune resemble the Kune-kune single mutant, suggesting that Kune-kune has a more central role in septate junction formation than either Sinuous or Megatrachea. ..
- Hays R, Buchanan K, Neff C, Orenic T. Patterning of Drosophila leg sensory organs through combinatorial signaling by hedgehog, decapentaplegic and wingless. Development. 1999;126:2891-9 pubmed..We propose that D/V-h expression is regulated in a non-linear pathway in which Ci plays a dual role. In addition to serving as an upstream activator of Dpp and Wg, Ci acts combinatorially with them to activate D/V-h expression. ..
- Lear B, Zhang L, Allada R. The neuropeptide PDF acts directly on evening pacemaker neurons to regulate multiple features of circadian behavior. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000154 pubmed publisher..These studies define a key direct output circuit sufficient for multiple PDF dependent behaviors. ..
- Kilman V, Zhang L, Meissner R, Burg E, Allada R. Perturbing dynamin reveals potent effects on the Drosophila circadian clock. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5235 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an important role for membrane scission in setting circadian period. ..
- Chung B, Kilman V, Keath J, Pitman J, Allada R. The GABA(A) receptor RDL acts in peptidergic PDF neurons to promote sleep in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:386-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, RDL is detectable most strongly on the large subset of PDF+ pacemaker neurons. These results suggest that GABAergic inhibition of arousal-promoting PDF neurons is an important mode of sleep-wake regulation in vivo. ..
- Wang Q, Holmgren R. The subcellular localization and activity of Drosophila cubitus interruptus are regulated at multiple levels. Development. 1999;126:5097-106 pubmed..Finally, we propose that there are three levels of apparent Ci activity, corresponding to three zones along the AP axis with different sets of gene expression and different levels of Hh signaling. ..
- Wu V, Schulte J, Hirschi A, Tepass U, Beitel G. Sinuous is a Drosophila claudin required for septate junction organization and epithelial tube size control. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:313-23 pubmed
- Paul S, Palladino M, Beitel G. A pump-independent function of the Na,K-ATPase is required for epithelial junction function and tracheal tube-size control. Development. 2007;134:147-55 pubmed..Strikingly, the rat alpha1 isoform has full junctional activity and can rescue Atpalpha-null mutants to viability, suggesting that the Na,K-ATPase has an evolutionarily conserved role in junction formation and function. ..
- Swanson L, Yu M, Nelson K, Laprise P, Tepass U, Beitel G. Drosophila convoluted/dALS is an essential gene required for tracheal tube morphogenesis and apical matrix organization. Genetics. 2009;181:1281-90 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we present evidence indicating that Conv/dALS has a novel, IGF-signaling independent function in tracheal morphogenesis. ..
- Pham J, Pellino J, Lee Y, Carthew R, Sontheimer E. A Dicer-2-dependent 80s complex cleaves targeted mRNAs during RNAi in Drosophila. Cell. 2004;117:83-94 pubmed..Dcr-2 does not simply transfer siRNAs to a distinct effector complex, but rather assembles into RISC along with the siRNAs, indicating that its role extends beyond the initiation phase of RNAi. ..
- Zhang L, Lear B, Seluzicki A, Allada R. The CRYPTOCHROME photoreceptor gates PDF neuropeptide signaling to set circadian network hierarchy in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2050-5 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our findings, we propose that CRY can gate PDF signaling to determine behavioral phase and network hierarchy. ..
- Marques J, Kim K, Wu P, Alleyne T, Jafari N, Carthew R. Loqs and R2D2 act sequentially in the siRNA pathway in Drosophila. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:24-30 pubmed publisher..Loqs is primarily required for dsRNA processing, whereas R2D2 is essential for the subsequent loading of siRNAs into effector Ago-RISC complexes. ..
- Moline M, Southern C, Bejsovec A. Directionality of wingless protein transport influences epidermal patterning in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1999;126:4375-84 pubmed
- Lee Y, Nakahara K, Pham J, Kim K, He Z, Sontheimer E, et al. Distinct roles for Drosophila Dicer-1 and Dicer-2 in the siRNA/miRNA silencing pathways. Cell. 2004;117:69-81 pubmed..However, Dicer-1 but not Dicer-2 is essential for miRISC-directed translation repression. Thus, siRISCs and miRISCs are different with respect to Dicers in Drosophila. ..
- Wu P, Isaji M, Carthew R. Functionally diverse microRNA effector complexes are regulated by extracellular signaling. Mol Cell. 2013;52:113-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that mitogenic signaling regulates the miRNA effector machinery to attenuate its repressive activities. ..
- Helenius I, Haake R, Kwon Y, Hu J, Krupinski T, Casalino Matsuda S, et al. Identification of Drosophila Zfh2 as a Mediator of Hypercapnic Immune Regulation by a Genome-Wide RNA Interference Screen. J Immunol. 2016;196:655-667 pubmed publisher..Taken together, to our knowledge, these results identify Zfh2 as the first in vivo mediator of hypercapnic immune suppression. ..
- Jolly A, Luan C, Dusel B, Dunne S, Winding M, Dixit V, et al. A Genome-wide RNAi Screen for Microtubule Bundle Formation and Lysosome Motility Regulation in Drosophila S2 Cells. Cell Rep. 2016;14:611-620 pubmed publisher..We identify innate immunity genes, ion channels, and signaling proteins having a role in lysosome motility regulation and find an unexpected relationship between the dynein motor, Rab7a, and lysosome motility regulation. ..
- Lin J, Kilman V, Keegan K, Paddock B, Emery Le M, Rosbash M, et al. A role for casein kinase 2alpha in the Drosophila circadian clock. Nature. 2002;420:816-20 pubmed..These effects are probably direct, as CK2alpha specifically phosphorylates Per in vitro. We propose that CK2 is an evolutionary link between the divergent circadian systems of animals, plants and fungi. ..
- Paul S, Beitel G. Tubulogenesis: zipping up your fly. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R70-2 pubmed..In animals, rearrangements of the junctions between cells are fundamental to morphogenesis. Recent work has revealed the acrobatics that Drosophila tracheal cells perform as they intercalate to form unicellular tubes. ..
- Cassidy J, Jha A, Posadas D, Giri R, Venken K, Ji J, et al. miR-9a minimizes the phenotypic impact of genomic diversity by buffering a transcription factor. Cell. 2013;155:1556-67 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that microRNA-target interactions may be a key mechanism by which the impact of genomic diversity on cell behavior is dampened...
- Sheshberadaran H, Takahashi J. Characterization of the chicken rhodopsin promoter: identification of retina-specific and glass-like protein binding domains. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1994;5:309-18 pubmed
- Lefers M, Holmgren R. Ci proteolysis: regulation by a constellation of phosphorylation sites. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R422-3 pubmed..The newly identified phosphorylation sites form clusters with previously described PKA sites in which phosphorylation by PKA acts to prime subsequent phosphorylation by Sgg/GSK3 and CK1. ..
- Lear B, Merrill C, Lin J, Schroeder A, Zhang L, Allada R. A G protein-coupled receptor, groom-of-PDF, is required for PDF neuron action in circadian behavior. Neuron. 2005;48:221-7 pubmed..gop is expressed most strongly in the dorsal brain in regions that lie in proximity to PDF-containing nerve terminals. Taken together, these studies implicate GOP as a PDF receptor in Drosophila. ..
- Meissner R, Kilman V, Lin J, Allada R. TIMELESS is an important mediator of CK2 effects on circadian clock function in vivo. J Neurosci. 2008;28:9732-40 pubmed publisher..The period lengthening effects in Tik heterozygotes are reduced in a tim(UL) mutant that disrupts a putative CK2 phosphorylation site. Together, these data indicate that TIM is an important mediator of CK2 effects on circadian rhythms. ..
- Lefers M, Wang Q, Holmgren R. Genetic dissection of the Drosophila Cubitus interruptus signaling complex. Dev Biol. 2001;236:411-20 pubmed..Fu participates in two partially redundant pathways to regulate Ci nuclear import; the kinase function plays a positive role by inhibiting Su(fu), and the regulatory domain plays a negative role in conjunction with Cos2. ..
- Lear B, Lin J, Keath J, McGill J, Raman I, Allada R. The ion channel narrow abdomen is critical for neural output of the Drosophila circadian pacemaker. Neuron. 2005;48:965-76 pubmed..In na mutants, expression of potassium currents and the key neuropeptide PDF are elevated, the latter consistent with reduced release. These data implicate NA and the pacemaker neural network in controlling phase and rhythmicity. ..
- Lim C, Chung B, Pitman J, McGill J, Pradhan S, Lee J, et al. Clockwork orange encodes a transcriptional repressor important for circadian-clock amplitude in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1082-9 pubmed..Molecular analysis suggests that CWO acts, in part, by repressing CLK target genes. We propose that CWO acts as a transcriptional and behavioral rhythm amplifier. ..
- Preall J, Sontheimer E. RNAi: RISC gets loaded. Cell. 2005;123:543-5 pubmed..2005) reveal the fate of the rejected passenger siRNA strand. Additionally, Gregory et al. (2005) define a heterotrimeric complex from humans that appears to execute dsRNA loading, strand selection, and target mRNA cleavage activities. ..
- Hayashi T, Xu C, Carthew R. Cell-type-specific transcription of prospero is controlled by combinatorial signaling in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2008;135:2787-96 pubmed publisher..The activity level, therefore, is dictated by the proper combination of highly cooperative selector and pre-pattern factors present in the cell...
- Hepker J, Wang Q, Motzny C, Holmgren R, Orenic T. Drosophila cubitus interruptus forms a negative feedback loop with patched and regulates expression of Hedgehog target genes. Development. 1997;124:549-58 pubmed..To examine Ci function in more detail, regions of the Ci protein that are responsible for its ability to transactivate and its subcellular distribution have been identified. ..
- Allada R. Circadian clocks: a tale of two feedback loops. Cell. 2003;112:284-6 pubmed..In Drosophila, the first loop has been well characterized and controls rhythmic period expression. In this issue of Cell, define a role for a transcriptional activator and a repressor in the second feedback loop. ..
- Sisson B, Ziegenhorn S, Holmgren R. Regulation of Ci and Su(fu) nuclear import in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;294:258-70 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that Ci can bring Su(fu) with it to a multimerized Ci DNA binding site. These results provide a basis for understanding the dual roles played by Su(fu) in the regulation of Ci. ..
- Marques J, Wang J, Wang X, de Oliveira K, Gao C, Aguiar E, et al. Functional specialization of the small interfering RNA pathway in response to virus infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003579 pubmed publisher..We speculate that this unique framework might be necessary for a prompt and efficient antiviral response. ..
- Hays R, Gibori G, Bejsovec A. Wingless signaling generates pattern through two distinct mechanisms. Development. 1997;124:3727-36 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that an 85 amino acid region not conserved in vertebrate Wnts is dispensable for Wg function and we discuss structural features of the Wingless protein required for its distinct biological activities. ..
- Wu V, Yu M, Paik R, Banerjee S, Liang Z, Paul S, et al. Drosophila Varicose, a member of a new subgroup of basolateral MAGUKs, is required for septate junctions and tracheal morphogenesis. Development. 2007;134:999-1009 pubmed..Thus, Vari fundamentally extends the similarity of Drosophila and vertebrate basolateral regions from sharing only polarity complexes to sharing both polarity and cell-adhesion complexes. ..
- Keegan K, Pradhan S, Wang J, Allada R. Meta-analysis of Drosophila circadian microarray studies identifies a novel set of rhythmically expressed genes. PLoS Comput Biol. 2007;3:e208 pubmed
- Paul S, Ternet M, Salvaterra P, Beitel G. The Na+/K+ ATPase is required for septate junction function and epithelial tube-size control in the Drosophila tracheal system. Development. 2003;130:4963-74 pubmed
- Harris D, Kim K, Nakahara K, Vásquez Doorman C, Carthew R. Cargo sorting to lysosome-related organelles regulates siRNA-mediated gene silencing. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:77-87 pubmed publisher..Negative regulation is also not linked to sorting into all LROs but only a specific class of pigment LRO. Thus, regulation of siRNA activity is tied to sorting of specific types of cargo to particular LROs...
- Zheng L, Carthew R. Lola regulates cell fate by antagonizing Notch induction in the Drosophila eye. Mech Dev. 2008;125:18-29 pubmed..The predicted consequence of this mechanism is to sharpen a cell's responsiveness to Notch signaling by creating a threshold. ..
- Lim C, Allada R. ATAXIN-2 activates PERIOD translation to sustain circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Science. 2013;340:875-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATX2 coordinates an active translation complex important for PER expression and circadian rhythms. ..
- Tian L, Holmgren R, Matouschek A. A conserved processing mechanism regulates the activity of transcription factors Cubitus interruptus and NF-kappaB. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:1045-53 pubmed..These findings suggest that the mechanism is conserved evolutionarily and that processing signals may be widespread in regulatory proteins. ..
- Lin J, Schroeder A, Allada R. In vivo circadian function of casein kinase 2 phosphorylation sites in Drosophila PERIOD. J Neurosci. 2005;25:11175-83 pubmed..In many respects, mutation of these phosphorylation sites phenocopies mutation of the catalytic subunit of CK2. We propose that CK2 phosphorylation at these sites triggers PER nuclear localization. ..
- Preall J, He Z, Gorra J, Sontheimer E. Short interfering RNA strand selection is independent of dsRNA processing polarity during RNAi in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:530-5 pubmed..Combined dsRNA-processing/mRNA-cleavage assays indicate that siRNA strand selection is independent of dsRNA processing polarity during Drosophila RISC assembly in vitro. ..
- Pham J, Sontheimer E. Molecular requirements for RNA-induced silencing complex assembly in the Drosophila RNA interference pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:39278-83 pubmed
- Wang Q, Holmgren R. Nuclear import of cubitus interruptus is regulated by hedgehog via a mechanism distinct from Ci stabilization and Ci activation. Development. 2000;127:3131-9 pubmed..Finally, we show that cos2 and pka, two molecules that have been characterized primarily as negative regulators of Ci activity, also have positive roles in the activation of Ci in response to Hh. ..