Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Evanston, Illinois, United States
Locale: Evanston, Illinois, United States
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Lim C, Allada R. ATAXIN-2 activates PERIOD translation to sustain circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Science. 2013;340:875-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATX2 coordinates an active translation complex important for PER expression and circadian rhythms. ..
- Hepker J, Blackman R, Holmgren R. Cubitus interruptus is necessary but not sufficient for direct activation of a wing-specific decapentaplegic enhancer. Development. 1999;126:3669-77 pubmed
- Brooke R, Singhal R, Hinkle D, Dumas L. Purification and characterization of the 180- and 86-kilodalton subunits of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA primase-DNA polymerase protein complex. The 180-kilodalton subunit has both DNA polymerase and 3'----5'-exonuclease activities. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:3005-15 pubmed..cerevisiae as compared with the properties of preparations from Drosophila cells. In particular, the 3'----5'-exonuclease activity associated with the yeast catalytic DNA polymerase subunit was not masked by the 86-kDa subunit. ..
- Storto P, King R. The role of polyfusomes in generating branched chains of cystocytes during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Genet. 1989;10:70-86 pubmed
- Koshy T, Luntz T, Schejter A, Margoliash E. Changing the invariant proline-30 of rat and Drosophila melanogaster cytochromes c to alanine or valine destabilizes the heme crevice more than the overall conformation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:8697-701 pubmed..Alternatively, the effect of the mutations may be propagated allosterically along the peptide chain. ..
- Sprinkle J, Hakvoort T, Koshy T, Miller D, Margoliash E. Amino acid sequence requirements for the association of apocytochrome c with mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:5729-33 pubmed..These results emphasize the wide disparity between the structural requirements for association with mitochondria and for the production of a functional holoprotein. ..
- Hakvoort T, Sprinkle J, Margoliash E. Reversible import of apocytochrome c into mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:4996-5000 pubmed
- Wu P, Isaji M, Carthew R. Functionally diverse microRNA effector complexes are regulated by extracellular signaling. Mol Cell. 2013;52:113-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that mitogenic signaling regulates the miRNA effector machinery to attenuate its repressive activities. ..
- Wang Q, Holmgren R. The subcellular localization and activity of Drosophila cubitus interruptus are regulated at multiple levels. Development. 1999;126:5097-106 pubmed..Finally, we propose that there are three levels of apparent Ci activity, corresponding to three zones along the AP axis with different sets of gene expression and different levels of Hh signaling. ..
- King R, Mohler D, Riley S, Storto P, Nicolazzo P. Complementation between alleles at the ovarian tumor locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genet. 1986;7:1-20 pubmed
- Li S, Xu C, Carthew R. Phyllopod acts as an adaptor protein to link the sina ubiquitin ligase to the substrate protein tramtrack. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6854-65 pubmed..These results illustrate how Ras signaling can modulate an E3 ligase activity not by the phosphorylation of substrate proteins but by regulating the expression of specific E3 adaptors. ..
- Nelson K, Furuse M, Beitel G. The Drosophila Claudin Kune-kune is required for septate junction organization and tracheal tube size control. Genetics. 2010;185:831-9 pubmed publisher..Double- and triple-mutant combinations of Sinuous and Megatrachea with Kune-kune resemble the Kune-kune single mutant, suggesting that Kune-kune has a more central role in septate junction formation than either Sinuous or Megatrachea. ..
- Chung B, Kilman V, Keath J, Pitman J, Allada R. The GABA(A) receptor RDL acts in peptidergic PDF neurons to promote sleep in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:386-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, RDL is detectable most strongly on the large subset of PDF+ pacemaker neurons. These results suggest that GABAergic inhibition of arousal-promoting PDF neurons is an important mode of sleep-wake regulation in vivo. ..
- Golden D, Gerbasi V, Sontheimer E. An inside job for siRNAs. Mol Cell. 2008;31:309-12 pubmed publisher..Recent work in flies and mice reveals several classes of endogenous siRNAs (endo-siRNAs) that contribute to functions previously reserved for miRNAs and piRNAs, including gene regulation and transposon suppression. ..
- Cassidy J, Jha A, Posadas D, Giri R, Venken K, Ji J, et al. miR-9a minimizes the phenotypic impact of genomic diversity by buffering a transcription factor. Cell. 2013;155:1556-67 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that microRNA-target interactions may be a key mechanism by which the impact of genomic diversity on cell behavior is dampened...
- Kilman V, Allada R. Genetic analysis of ectopic circadian clock induction in Drosophila. J Biol Rhythms. 2009;24:368-78 pubmed publisher..While other factors may contribute, these results indicate that persistent Clock induction is uniquely capable of broadly inducing ectopic rhythms even in adults, consistent with a special role at the top of a clock gene hierarchy. ..
- Lear B, Lin J, Keath J, McGill J, Raman I, Allada R. The ion channel narrow abdomen is critical for neural output of the Drosophila circadian pacemaker. Neuron. 2005;48:965-76 pubmed..In na mutants, expression of potassium currents and the key neuropeptide PDF are elevated, the latter consistent with reduced release. These data implicate NA and the pacemaker neural network in controlling phase and rhythmicity. ..
- Sheshberadaran H, Takahashi J. Characterization of the chicken rhodopsin promoter: identification of retina-specific and glass-like protein binding domains. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1994;5:309-18 pubmed
- Wu V, Schulte J, Hirschi A, Tepass U, Beitel G. Sinuous is a Drosophila claudin required for septate junction organization and epithelial tube size control. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:313-23 pubmed
- Marques J, Kim K, Wu P, Alleyne T, Jafari N, Carthew R. Loqs and R2D2 act sequentially in the siRNA pathway in Drosophila. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:24-30 pubmed publisher..Loqs is primarily required for dsRNA processing, whereas R2D2 is essential for the subsequent loading of siRNAs into effector Ago-RISC complexes. ..
- Zhang L, Chung B, Lear B, Kilman V, Liu Y, Mahesh G, et al. DN1(p) circadian neurons coordinate acute light and PDF inputs to produce robust daily behavior in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:591-9 pubmed publisher..The fruit fly Drosophila exhibits clock-driven activity increases that anticipate dawn and dusk and free-running rhythms under constant conditions. Flies also respond to the onset of light and dark with acute increases in activity...
- Lee Y, Nakahara K, Pham J, Kim K, He Z, Sontheimer E, et al. Distinct roles for Drosophila Dicer-1 and Dicer-2 in the siRNA/miRNA silencing pathways. Cell. 2004;117:69-81 pubmed..However, Dicer-1 but not Dicer-2 is essential for miRISC-directed translation repression. Thus, siRISCs and miRISCs are different with respect to Dicers in Drosophila. ..
- Pham J, Pellino J, Lee Y, Carthew R, Sontheimer E. A Dicer-2-dependent 80s complex cleaves targeted mRNAs during RNAi in Drosophila. Cell. 2004;117:83-94 pubmed..Dcr-2 does not simply transfer siRNAs to a distinct effector complex, but rather assembles into RISC along with the siRNAs, indicating that its role extends beyond the initiation phase of RNAi. ..
- Li X, Cassidy J, Reinke C, Fischboeck S, Carthew R. A microRNA imparts robustness against environmental fluctuation during development. Cell. 2009;137:273-82 pubmed publisher..We suggest that some conserved microRNAs like miR-7 may enter into novel genetic relationships to buffer developmental programs against variation and impart robustness to diverse regulatory networks. ..
- Wuchty S. Topology and weights in a protein domain interaction network--a novel way to predict protein interactions. BMC Genomics. 2006;7:122 pubmed..As an immediate application, we show a simple way to predict potential protein interactions by utilizing expectation scores of single domain interactions. ..
- Preall J, Sontheimer E. RNAi: RISC gets loaded. Cell. 2005;123:543-5 pubmed..2005) reveal the fate of the rejected passenger siRNA strand. Additionally, Gregory et al. (2005) define a heterotrimeric complex from humans that appears to execute dsRNA loading, strand selection, and target mRNA cleavage activities. ..
- Lin J, Kilman V, Keegan K, Paddock B, Emery Le M, Rosbash M, et al. A role for casein kinase 2alpha in the Drosophila circadian clock. Nature. 2002;420:816-20 pubmed..These effects are probably direct, as CK2alpha specifically phosphorylates Per in vitro. We propose that CK2 is an evolutionary link between the divergent circadian systems of animals, plants and fungi. ..
- Gerbasi V, Golden D, Hurtado S, Sontheimer E. Proteomics identification of Drosophila small interfering RNA-associated factors. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010;9:1866-72 pubmed publisher..Functional analysis of these novel siRNA-associated proteins suggests that these factors may play an important role in RNAi. ..
- Slusarski D, Motzny C, Holmgren R. Mutations that alter the timing and pattern of cubitus interruptus gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;139:229-40 pubmed..Thus, proper regulation of both the ci mRNA and protein appears to be critical for normal Drosophila development. ..
- Lee Y, Pressman S, Andress A, Kim K, White J, Cassidy J, et al. Silencing by small RNAs is linked to endosomal trafficking. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1150-6 pubmed publisher..It may provide a means to enhance the dynamics of RNA silencing in the cytoplasm. ..
- Hayashi T, Carthew R. Surface mechanics mediate pattern formation in the developing retina. Nature. 2004;431:647-52 pubmed..Thus, simple patterned expression of N-cadherin results in a complex spatial pattern of cells owing to cellular surface mechanics. ..
- Kennerdell J, Yamaguchi S, Carthew R. RNAi is activated during Drosophila oocyte maturation in a manner dependent on aubergine and spindle-E. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1884-9 pubmed
- Ostrowski S, Dierick H, Bejsovec A. Genetic control of cuticle formation during embryonic development of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2002;161:171-82 pubmed
- Lefers M, Wang Q, Holmgren R. Genetic dissection of the Drosophila Cubitus interruptus signaling complex. Dev Biol. 2001;236:411-20 pubmed..Fu participates in two partially redundant pathways to regulate Ci nuclear import; the kinase function plays a positive role by inhibiting Su(fu), and the regulatory domain plays a negative role in conjunction with Cos2. ..
- Dierick H, Bejsovec A. Functional analysis of Wingless reveals a link between intercellular ligand transport and dorsal-cell-specific signaling. Development. 1998;125:4729-38 pubmed..Thus we have identified a region of Wingless that is required for both the transcytotic process and signal transduction in dorsal cell populations, revealing an unexpected link between these two aspects of Wg function. ..