Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial genes in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Topic: bacterial genes
- Zhu X, Rebello J, Matsumura P, Volz K. Crystal structures of CheY mutants Y106W and T87I/Y106W. CheY activation correlates with movement of residue 106. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:5000-6 pubmed..Specifically, CheY's signaling ability correlates with the conformational heterogeneity of the Tyr106 side chain. Our data also suggest that these mutations affect the signal at an event subsequent to phosphorylation...
- Shankar S, Schlictman D, Chakrabarty A. Regulation of nucleoside diphosphate kinase and an alternative kinase in Escherichia coli: role of the sspA and rnk genes in nucleoside triphosphate formation. Mol Microbiol. 1995;17:935-43 pubmed..Additionally, a role for the stringent starvation protein (SspA) in the modulation of nucleoside triphosphate (NTP) levels in E. coli is also suggested from these experiments. ..
- Schwan W, Seifert H, Duncan J. Analysis of the fimB promoter region involved in type 1 pilus phase variation in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;242:623-30 pubmed..This putative binding protein may be involved in the regulation of fimB, perhaps by acting as a transcriptional activator. ..
- Ross C, Winkler M. Structure of the Caulobacter crescentus trpFBA operon. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:757-68 pubmed..crescentus and other bacteria. Taken together, these results are relevant to the analysis of gene expression in C. crescentus and the study of trp gene structure and regulation. ..
- Kurnasov O, Goral V, Colabroy K, Gerdes S, Anantha S, Osterman A, et al. NAD biosynthesis: identification of the tryptophan to quinolinate pathway in bacteria. Chem Biol. 2003;10:1195-204 pubmed..Representative examples of each of these genes were overexpressed, and the predicted functions are confirmed in each case using unambiguous biochemical assays...
- Deretic V, Dikshit R, Konyecsni W, Chakrabarty A, Misra T. The algR gene, which regulates mucoidy in Pseudomonas aeruginosa, belongs to a class of environmentally responsive genes. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:1278-83 pubmed..These findings indicate that novel conditions in lungs affected by cystic fibrosis may be participating in the control of mucoidy. ..
- Dong X, Womble D, Rownd R. Transcriptional pausing in a region important for plasmid NR1 replication control. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:5353-63 pubmed
- Skaar E, Humayun M, Bae T, Debord K, Schneewind O. Iron-source preference of Staphylococcus aureus infections. Science. 2004;305:1626-8 pubmed..aureus. Heme iron scavenging by means of hts is required for staphylococcal pathogenesis in animal hosts, indicating that heme iron is the preferred iron source during the initiation of infection...
- Seifert H, Wilson D. Characterization of a cryptic gene pair from Neisseria gonorrhoeae that is common to pathogenic Neisseria species. Infect Immun. 1992;60:1232-6 pubmed..Homologs of the two genes were detected in pathogenic Neisseria species but not in commensal species. These genes are designated cnp1 and cnp2 (cryptic neisserial protein). ..
- Montgomery C, Boyle Vavra S, Daum R. The arginine catabolic mobile element is not associated with enhanced virulence in experimental invasive disease caused by the community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 genetic background. Infect Immun. 2009;77:2650-6 pubmed publisher..Nor was the presence of ACME associated with increased dermonecrosis in a model of skin infection. We conclude that ACME is not necessary for virulence in rodent models of CA-MRSA USA300 pneumonia or skin infection. ..
- David M, Rudolph K, Hennessy T, Boyle Vavra S, Daum R. Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, rural southwestern Alaska. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1693-9 pubmed publisher..1% were ST8. Among 120 prospective isolates, 57.5% were clindamycin resistant. CA-MRSA epidemiology in southwestern Alaska differs from that in the lower 48 states; ST8 strains were rarely identified and clindamycin resistance was common...
- Markovitz A. A new in vivo termination function for DNA polymerase I of Escherichia coli K12. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:1867-82 pubmed..To explain these results we propose a new in vivo function for wild-type DNA polymerase I in chromosome termination at site(s) not yet identified. ..
- Zago A, Chugani S, Chakrabarty A. Cloning and characterization of polyphosphate kinase and exopolyphosphatase genes from Pseudomonas aeruginosa 8830. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1999;65:2065-71 pubmed..However, no coregulation between ppk and ppx promoters has been demonstrated in response to osmotic shock or oxidative stress. ..
- Smith L, Gomez M, Shatalin K, Lee H, Neyfakh A. Monitoring of gene knockouts: genome-wide profiling of conditionally essential genes. Genome Biol. 2007;8:R87 pubmed..Our findings suggest that MGK can serve as a robust tool in functional genomics studies. ..
- Boyd A, Ghosh M, May T, Shinabarger D, Keogh R, Chakrabarty A. Sequence of the algL gene of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and purification of its alginate lyase product. Gene. 1993;131:1-8 pubmed..Thus, the algL gene is located within a region of the alginate biosynthetic gene cluster that appears to be non-essential for alginate production. ..
- Helm R, Barnhart M, Seifert H. pilQ Missense mutations have diverse effects on PilQ multimer formation, piliation, and pilus function in Neisseria gonorrhoeae. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:3198-207 pubmed..The collection of phenotypes expressed by these mutants suggests that PilQ has an active role in pilus expression and function...
- Liu S, Ogretmen B, Chuang Y, Stark B. Selection and characterization of alpha-amylase-overproducing recombinant Escherichia coli containing the bacterial hemoglobin gene. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 1992;38:239-42 pubmed..The two latter results may be of particular importance in determining the way in which hemoglobin enhances the production of cloned protein products in recombinant bacteria...
- Shinabarger D, May T, Boyd A, Ghosh M, Chakrabarty A. Nucleotide sequence and expression of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa algF gene controlling acetylation of alginate. Mol Microbiol. 1993;9:1027-35 pubmed..We show that a plasmid containing both the algF and algA gene complements the alginate acetylation defect of the algF mutant strain. ..
- O Connell W, Bangsborg J, Cianciotto N. Characterization of a Legionella micdadei mip mutant. Infect Immun. 1995;63:2840-5 pubmed..Similarly, the mutant was less able to parasitize Hartmannella amoebae. Taken together, these data argue that Mip specifically potentiates intracellular growth by L. micdadei...
- Schlictman D, Shankar S, Chakrabarty A. The Escherichia coli genes sspA and rnk can functionally replace the Pseudomonas aeruginosa alginate regulatory gene algR2. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:309-20 pubmed..aeruginosa algR2 mutant. Furthermore, rnk was able to restore growth of the algR2 mutant in the presence of Tween 20, which inhibits other Ndk-like activities...
- Sato Y, Kuramitsu H. Sequence analysis of the Streptococcus mutans scrB gene. Infect Immun. 1988;56:1956-60 pubmed..In addition, a region of amino acid homology with the S. mutans fructosyltransferase and B. subtilis levansucrase proteins was also detected. ..
- Castillo J, Greenberg J. Evolutionary dynamics of Ralstonia solanacearum. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:1225-38 pubmed..Finally, genes essential for species survival are under purifying selection, and those directly involved in pathogenesis might be under diversifying selection...
- Silver S. Bacterial silver resistance: molecular biology and uses and misuses of silver compounds. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2003;27:341-53 pubmed..Ag is generally without adverse effects for humans, and argyria (irreversible discoloration of the skin resulting from subepithelial silver deposits) is rare and mostly of cosmetic concern...
- Hui F, Morrison D. Genetic transformation in Streptococcus pneumoniae: nucleotide sequence analysis shows comA, a gene required for competence induction, to be a member of the bacterial ATP-dependent transport protein family. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:372-81 pubmed..These similarities suggest that ComA functions in the transport of some molecule, possibly pneumococcal competence factor itself...
- Roa B, Connolly D, Winkler M. Overlap between pdxA and ksgA in the complex pdxA-ksgA-apaG-apaH operon of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:4767-77 pubmed..The results are also considered in terms of ksgA expression. ..
- Ton That H, Schneewind O. Assembly of pili in Gram-positive bacteria. Trends Microbiol. 2004;12:228-34 pubmed
- Dogan I, Pagilla K, Webster D, Stark B. Expression of Vitreoscilla hemoglobin in Gordonia amarae enhances biosurfactant production. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;33:693-700 pubmed..4-fold and 2.4-fold for limited and normal aeration, respectively. The engineered strain may be an improved source for producing purified biosurfactant or an aid to microorganisms bioremediating sparingly soluble contaminants in situ...
- Silver S, Phung L, Silver G. Silver as biocides in burn and wound dressings and bacterial resistance to silver compounds. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;33:627-34 pubmed..These are beneficial products needing further study, although each has drawbacks. The genes (and proteins) involved in bacterial resistance to Ag have been defined and studied in recent years...
- Reeves A, Brikun I, Cernota W, Leach B, Gonzalez M, Weber J. Effects of methylmalonyl-CoA mutase gene knockouts on erythromycin production in carbohydrate-based and oil-based fermentations of Saccharopolyspora erythraea. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;33:600-9 pubmed
- Ahmed M, Borsch C, Taylor S, Vazquez Laslop N, Neyfakh A. A protein that activates expression of a multidrug efflux transporter upon binding the transporter substrates. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:28506-13 pubmed
- Mazmanian S, Skaar E, Gaspar A, Humayun M, Gornicki P, Jelenska J, et al. Passage of heme-iron across the envelope of Staphylococcus aureus. Science. 2003;299:906-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Isd appears to act as an import apparatus that uses cell wall-anchored proteins to relay heme-iron across the bacterial envelope...
- Shen F, Du W, Davydova E, Karymov M, Pandey J, Ismagilov R. Nanoliter multiplex PCR arrays on a SlipChip. Anal Chem. 2010;82:4606-12 pubmed publisher..The SlipChip will be useful for applications involving PCR arrays and lays the foundation for new strategies for diagnostics, point-of-care devices, and immobilization-based arrays. ..
- Nichols B, Green J. Cloning and sequencing of Escherichia coli ubiC and purification of chorismate lyase. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:5309-16 pubmed..Of the several enzymes that convert chorismate to intermediates of E. coli biosynthetic pathways, chorismate lyase is the last to be isolated and characterized. ..
- Nies A, Nies D, Silver S. Nucleotide sequence and expression of a plasmid-encoded chromate resistance determinant from Alcaligenes eutrophus. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:5648-53 pubmed
- Shinabarger D, Berry A, May T, Rothmel R, Fialho A, Chakrabarty A. Purification and characterization of phosphomannose isomerase-guanosine diphospho-D-mannose pyrophosphorylase. A bifunctional enzyme in the alginate biosynthetic pathway of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:2080-8 pubmed..DNA sequencing of a cloned mutant algA gene from P. aeruginosa revealed that a point mutation at nucleotide 961 greatly decreased the levels of both PMI and GMP in a crude extract. ..
- Lee J, Edwards C, Hulett F. Bacillus licheniformis APase I gene promoter: a strong well-regulated promoter in B. subtilis. J Gen Microbiol. 1991;137:1127-33 pubmed..Heterologous expression studies of the promoter using a fusion with the lacZ gene indicated that it functions as a very strong inducible promoter in B. subtilis that is tightly regulated by phosphate concentration. ..
- Robey M, Cianciotto N. Legionella pneumophila feoAB promotes ferrous iron uptake and intracellular infection. Infect Immun. 2002;70:5659-69 pubmed..These data represent the first evidence for the importance of ferrous iron transport for intracellular replication by a human pathogen...
- Lee J, Edwards C, Hulett F. Identification of four unique clones encoding 10 kDa proteins from Bacillus that cause phenotypic complementation of a phoA mutant strain of Escherichia coli. J Gen Microbiol. 1991;137:667-77 pubmed..It is clear that phenotypic complementation with cloned DNA from another genus does not ensure the identification of an APase gene. Possible mechanisms for the abnormal phenotypic complementation are discussed. ..
- Schoenlein P, Roa B, Winkler M. Divergent transcription of pdxB and homology between the pdxB and serA gene products in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:6084-92 pubmed..The homology between PdxB and SerA provides considerable support for Jensen's model of enzyme recruitment as the basis for the evolution of different biosynthetic pathways. ..
- Stark B, Urgun Demirtas M, Pagilla K. Role of hemoglobin in improving biodegradation of aromatic contaminants under hypoxic conditions. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008;15:181-9 pubmed publisher..Although not always the case, for the most part, and particularly in bioreactors, the advantages due to vgb/VHb were greater under conditions of limited aeration or hypoxic conditions...
- Gr ndling A, Missiakas D, Schneewind O. Staphylococcus aureus mutants with increased lysostaphin resistance. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:6286-97 pubmed publisher..Other lyr mutants with intermediate lysostaphin resistance carried bursa aurealis insertions in genes specifying GTP pyrophosphokinase or enzymes of the purine biosynthetic pathway...
- Kato J, Misra T, Chakrabarty A. AlgR3, a protein resembling eukaryotic histone H1, regulates alginate synthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:2887-91 pubmed..coli demonstrate the presence of a 39-kDa polypeptide encoded by the cloned algR3 gene. ..
- Lee J, Hulett F. Nucleotide sequence of the phoP gene encoding PhoP, the response regulator of the phosphate regulon of Bacillus subtilis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:5848 pubmed
- Hendrickson W, Rudd K. Physical map location of the argFGH operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3836-7 pubmed
- Ballicora M, Erben E, Yazaki T, Bertolo A, Demonte A, Schmidt J, et al. Identification of regions critically affecting kinetics and allosteric regulation of the Escherichia coli ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase by modeling and pentapeptide-scanning mutagenesis. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:5325-33 pubmed..We postulate this region as critical for the allosteric regulation of the enzyme, participating in the communication between the catalytic and regulatory domains. ..
- Yoon K, Silver S. A second gene in the Staphylococcus aureus cadA cadmium resistance determinant of plasmid pI258. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:7636-42 pubmed..The cadC gene is needed in addition to cadA for full resistance to cadmium in S. aureus and Bacillus subtilis. cadC functions both in cis and in trans...
- Bookstein C, Edwards C, Kapp N, Hulett F. The Bacillus subtilis 168 alkaline phosphatase III gene: impact of a phoAIII mutation on total alkaline phosphatase synthesis. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:3730-7 pubmed..The APase III gene has been mapped to approximately 50 degrees on the B. subtilis chromosome. ..
- Allard K, Viswanathan V, Cianciotto N. lbtA and lbtB are required for production of the Legionella pneumophila siderophore legiobactin. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:1351-63 pubmed..The discovery of lbtAB represents the first identification of genes required for L. pneumophila siderophore expression...
- Kapp N, Edwards C, Chesnut R, Hulett F. The Bacillus subtilis phoAIV gene: effects of in vitro inactivation on total alkaline phosphatase production. Gene. 1990;96:95-100 pubmed..There was no effect on the production of sporulation APase. The phoAIV::pJM103 insertion was mapped and determined to be located at approx. 73 degrees on the B. subtilis 360 degrees chromosome. ..
- Malakooti J, Komeda Y, Matsumura P. DNA sequence analysis, gene product identification, and localization of flagellar motor components of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:2728-34 pubmed..In addition, we subcloned a 2.2-kilobase-pair DNA fragment capable of complementing the remaining four genes of the flaA operon (flbD [fliO], flaR [fliP], flaQ [fliQ], and flaP [fliR]). ..
- Shiroza T, Kuramitsu H. Sequence analysis of the Streptococcus mutans fructosyltransferase gene and flanking regions. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:810-6 pubmed..In addition, ORF 3 is transcribed from the ftf DNA coding strand. Partial sequencing of ORF 4 suggests that its gene product may be an extracellular protein. ..
- Jones K, Buikema W, Haselkorn R. Heterocyst-specific expression of patB, a gene required for nitrogen fixation in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:2306-14 pubmed
- Robey M, O Connell W, Cianciotto N. Identification of Legionella pneumophila rcp, a pagP-like gene that confers resistance to cationic antimicrobial peptides and promotes intracellular infection. Infect Immun. 2001;69:4276-86 pubmed..However, in low-Mg(2+) medium, the rcp mutant was impaired in stationary-phase survival. This is the first demonstration of a pagP-like gene, involved in resistance to CAMPs, being required for intracellular infection and virulence. ..