Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Chicago, Illinois, United States
Locale: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Publications530 found, 100 shown here
- JASON L, Porter N, Shelleby E, Till L, Bell D, Lapp C, et al. Severe versus Moderate criteria for the new pediatric case definition for ME/CFS. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2009;40:609-20 pubmed publisher..Findings indicate that the Pediatric Case Definition for ME/CFS can distinguish between those with this illness and controls, and between those with Severe versus Moderate manifestations of the illness. ..
- Alvy L, McKirnan D, Mansergh G, Koblin B, Colfax G, Flores S, et al. Depression is associated with sexual risk among men who have sex with men, but is mediated by cognitive escape and self-efficacy. AIDS Behav. 2011;15:1171-9 pubmed publisher..These findings may help us construct more accurate theories regarding depression and sexual behavior, and may inform the design of sexual safety interventions. ..
- Passarotti A, Sweeney J, Pavuluri M. Fronto-limbic dysfunction in mania pre-treatment and persistent amygdala over-activity post-treatment in pediatric bipolar disorder. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011;216:485-99 pubmed publisher..Amygdala was overactive in PBD, relative to HC, regardless of reduction in manic symptoms, and may be a trait marker of PBD. ..
- Kenny D, Hijazi Z. Coarctation of the aorta: from fetal life to adulthood. Cardiol J. 2011;18:487-95 pubmed..This review outlines the evaluation and treatment of this disease from pre-natal to adult life. ..
- le Grange D, Lock J, Agras W, Moye A, Bryson S, Jo B, et al. Moderators and mediators of remission in family-based treatment and adolescent focused therapy for anorexia nervosa. Behav Res Ther. 2012;50:85-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that patients with more severe eating related psychopathology have better outcomes in a behaviorally targeted family treatment (FBT) than an individually focused approach (AFT). ..
- Aldinger K, Kogan J, Kimonis V, Fernandez B, Horn D, Klopocki E, et al. Cerebellar and posterior fossa malformations in patients with autism-associated chromosome 22q13 terminal deletion. Am J Med Genet A. 2013;161A:131-6 pubmed publisher..Future studies of these genes may elucidate their relationship to 22q13.3 deletion phenotypes. ..
- Hayes M, Urbanek M, Hivert M, Armstrong L, Morrison J, Guo C, et al. Identification of HKDC1 and BACE2 as genes influencing glycemic traits during pregnancy through genome-wide association studies. Diabetes. 2013;62:3282-91 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the genetic architecture underlying glucose metabolism may differ, in part, in pregnancy. ..
- Silverberg J. Association between childhood eczema and headaches: An analysis of 19 US population-based studies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;137:492-499.e5 pubmed publisher..Eczema is associated with increased headaches inÂ childhood, particularly in patients with severe disease accompanied by atopy, fatigue, and sleep disturbances. ..
- Velsor Friedrich B, Richards M, Militello L, Dean K, Scott D, Gross I, et al. The Impact of Community Violence on School-Based Research. J Sch Nurs. 2015;31:397-401 pubmed publisher..An example of the impact of community violence on the implementation of a school-based asthma program will be addressed. Implications for school nurses will be discussed. ..
- Fiadjoe J, Nishisaki A, Jagannathan N, Hunyady A, Greenberg R, Reynolds P, et al. Airway management complications in children with difficult tracheal intubation from the Pediatric Difficult Intubation (PeDI) registry: a prospective cohort analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2016;4:37-48 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that limiting the number of direct laryngoscopy attempts and quickly transitioning to an indirect technique when direct laryngoscopy fails would enhance patient safety. None. ..
- Wu H, Dachet F, Ghoddoussi F, Bagla S, Fuerst D, Stanley J, et al. Altered metabolomic-genomic signature: A potential noninvasive biomarker of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1626-1636 pubmed publisher..These findings both highlight the immense power of a systems biology approach and identify a potentially important role that magnetic resonance spectroscopy can play in the research and clinical management of epilepsy. ..
- Argiris A, Dutra J, Tseke P, Haines K. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the Northwestern University experience. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:155-60 pubmed..However, the rate of local failure is high, and late recurrences are not uncommon. The role of chemotherapy warrants further investigation. ..
- Flay B, Graumlich S, Segawa E, Burns J, Holliday M. Effects of 2 prevention programs on high-risk behaviors among African American youth: a randomized trial. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158:377-84 pubmed..The lack of effects for girls deserves further research. ..
- Joslin C, Tu E, McMahon T, Passaro D, Stayner L, Sugar J. Epidemiological characteristics of a Chicago-area Acanthamoeba keratitis outbreak. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142:212-7 pubmed..67; 95% CI 3.05 to 17.52). AK cases are increasing in frequency. The increased rates are unevenly distributed in the study area. Further research is warranted to better understand the increase and unusual geographical distribution. ..
- Trifilio S, Bennett C, Yarnold P, McKoy J, Parada J, Mehta J, et al. Breakthrough zygomycosis after voriconazole administration among patients with hematologic malignancies who receive hematopoietic stem-cell transplants or intensive chemotherapy. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2007;39:425-9 pubmed..Overall mortality was 73%. We conclude that zygomycosis after exposure to voriconazole is a recently described entity that is frequently fatal, despite treatment with currently available anti-fungal agents and surgery. ..
- Kahrilas P, Dent J, Lauritsen K, Malfertheiner P, Denison H, Franzen S, et al. A randomized, comparative study of three doses of AZD0865 and esomeprazole for healing of reflux esophagitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;5:1385-91 pubmed..These findings suggest that increasing the degree of acid inhibition beyond that already achieved by esomeprazole 40 mg (or AZD0865 25 mg) does not translate into increased clinical efficacy in esophagitis patients. ..
- Bhayani M, MacCracken E, Frim D, Baroody F. Prolonged cricopharyngeal muscle spasm after resection of the cervical vagus nerve in a 15-year-old. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2008;44:71-4 pubmed..We present a case in which these two complications resulted in significant dysphagia and aspiration, which improved with expectant management...
- Rosenfield R, Lipton R, Drum M. Thelarche, pubarche, and menarche attainment in children with normal and elevated body mass index. Pediatrics. 2009;123:84-8 pubmed publisher..Adiposity and non-Hispanic black and Mexican American ethnicity are independently associated with earlier pubertal development in girls. ..
- Zaichick S, Zaichick V. The effect of age and gender on 38 chemical element contents in human femoral neck investigated by instrumental neutron activation analysis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2010;137:1-12 pubmed publisher..The Ca, Mg, and P contents decrease with age. Higher Ca, Cl, K, Mg, Mn, Na, and Sr mass fractions are typical of female femoral neck as compared to those in male bone. ..
- Kautz T, Bendavid E, Bhattacharya J, Miller G. AIDS and declining support for dependent elderly people in Africa: retrospective analysis using demographic and health surveys. BMJ. 2010;340:c2841 pubmed publisher..This population has previously been under-recognised. Efforts to reduce HIV/AIDS deaths could have large "spillover" benefits for elderly people in Africa. ..
- Guandalini S. Probiotics for prevention and treatment of diarrhea. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2011;45 Suppl:S149-53 pubmed publisher..Such a beneficial effect results, on average, in a reduction of diarrhea duration of approximately 1 day. The effect is strain-dependent and dose-dependent. ..
- Rodvold K, Gotfried M, Still J, Clark K, Fernandes P. Comparison of plasma, epithelial lining fluid, and alveolar macrophage concentrations of solithromycin (CEM-101) in healthy adult subjects. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5076-81 pubmed publisher..05) higher in ELF (2.4 to 28.6 times) and AM (44 to 515 times) than simultaneous plasma concentrations throughout the 24-h period after 5 days of solithromycin administration. ..
- Torres Harding S, Turner T. Assessing Racial Microaggression Distress in a Diverse Sample. Eval Health Prof. 2015;38:464-90 pubmed publisher..In turn, this may facilitate diagnosis and treatment planning in order to provide multiculturally competent care for African American, Latino, and Asian American clients. ..
- Sipsma H, Jones K, Cole Lewis H. Breastfeeding among adolescent mothers: a systematic review of interventions from high-income countries. J Hum Lact. 2015;31:221-9; quiz 321-2 pubmed publisher..In addition, interventions should be less resource intensive, be more theoretically driven, and specifically include mothers and partners of adolescents to successfully promote breastfeeding among adolescent mothers. ..
- Hatoum H, Lin S, Joseph R, Dahdal D. Validation of a Patient Satisfaction Scale in Patients Undergoing Bowel Preparation Prior to Colonoscopy. Patient. 2016;9:27-34 pubmed publisher..Domain 1 had a Cronbach's alpha of 0.79, with higher satisfaction predicting higher future acceptability (p < 0.0001). The patient-reported satisfaction measure of bowel-cleansing preparations possesses good validity and reliability. ..
- Jagannathan N, Shivazad A, Kolan M. Tracheal extubation in children with difficult airways: a descriptive cohort analysis. Paediatr Anaesth. 2016;26:372-7 pubmed publisher..In a minority of patients, tracheal extubation was associated with severe adverse outcomes. ..
- Rubenstein J, Maizels M, Kim S, Houston J. The PIC cystogram: a novel approach to identify "occult" vesicoureteral reflux in children with febrile urinary tract infections. J Urol. 2003;169:2339-43 pubmed..PIC cystography should be done when vesicoureteral reflux is suspected in children who experience febrile UTIs but do not exhibit reflux on standard cystography. ..
- Lopez K, Dalvi B, Balzer D, Bass J, Momenah T, Cao Q, et al. Transcatheter closure of large secundum atrial septal defects using the 40 mm Amplatzer septal occluder: results of an international registry. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2005;66:580-4 pubmed..However, the use of this device requires careful attention as the procedure may be unsuccessful or the device may embolize. ..
- Cohran V, Cassedy A, Hawkins A, Bean J, Heubi J. Oral risedronate sodium improves bone mineral density in non-ambulatory patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 2013;6:85-93 pubmed publisher..67, Pr > F=0.03). No differences in serum bone markers were observed. Risedronate increases LS BMD in non-ambulatory patients with minimal side effects. ..
- McMahon T, Kim L, Fishman G, Stone E, Zhao X, Yee R, et al. CRB1 gene mutations are associated with keratoconus in patients with leber congenital amaurosis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:3185-7 pubmed publisher..Although the results cannot exclude other gene mutations, they suggest that LCA patients with a CRB1 mutation may have a particular susceptibility to keratoconus. ..
- Yan J, Deng H, Siddique N, Fecto F, Chen W, Yang Y, et al. Frameshift and novel mutations in FUS in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and ALS/dementia. Neurology. 2010;75:807-14 pubmed publisher..79% in all FALS. The pathogenicity of some of these novel mutations awaits further studies. Patients with FUS mutations manifest earlier symptom onset, a higher rate of bulbar onset, and shorter duration of symptoms. ..
- Gordon D, Young L, Reddy S, Bergman C, Young J. Incidence of Clostridium difficile infection in patients receiving high-risk antibiotics with or without a proton pump inhibitor. J Hosp Infect. 2016;92:173-7 pubmed publisher..Prudent avoidance of PPIs may reduce the incidence of CDI, a major cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. ..
- Jansen R, Argos M, Tong L, Li J, Rakibuz Zaman M, Islam M, et al. Determinants and Consequences of Arsenic Metabolism Efficiency among 4,794 Individuals: Demographics, Lifestyle, Genetics, and Toxicity. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:381-90 pubmed publisher..Two distinct arsenic metabolism phenotypes show unique associations with age, sex, BMI, 10q24.32 polymorphisms, and skin lesions. This work enhances our understanding of arsenic metabolism kinetics and toxicity risk profiles. ..
- Zhao Y, Chen M, Wang B, Yang J, Elder R, Song X, et al. Functional conservation of HIV-1 Vpr and variability in a mother-child pair of long-term non-progressors. Virus Res. 2002;89:103-21 pubmed..The functionally defective Vpr identified in the mother-child pair of LTNPs are likely to be unique and may possibly contribute to the slow disease progression. ..
- Harper G, Bangi A, Contreras R, Pedraza A, Tolliver M, Vess L. Diverse phases of collaboration: working together to improve community-based HIV interventions for adolescents. Am J Community Psychol. 2004;33:193-204 pubmed..Recommendations are offered to assist in the formation and maintenance of collaborative partnerships between CBOs and university-based evaluators/researchers. ..
- Grover S, Fishman G, Stone E. A novel IMPDH1 mutation (Arg231Pro) in a family with a severe form of autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1910-6 pubmed..Families affected with a severe form of this genetic subtype should be investigated for a mutation in the IMPDH1 gene. ..
- Chin A, Thow F, Superina R. Previous portal hypertension surgery negatively affects results of mesenteric to left portal vein bypass. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:114-9; discussion 119 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that patients with symptomatic EHPVO should undergo MLPVB as a primary intervention rather than as a rescue procedure to optimize MLPVB patency. ..
- Doyle A, Goldschmidt A, Huang C, Winzelberg A, Taylor C, Wilfley D. Reduction of overweight and eating disorder symptoms via the Internet in adolescents: a randomized controlled trial. J Adolesc Health. 2008;43:172-9 pubmed publisher..This multisite RCT evaluated an Internet-delivered program targeting weight loss and ED attitudes/behaviors in adolescents...
- Hankinson A, Daviglus M, Bouchard C, Carnethon M, Lewis C, Schreiner P, et al. Maintaining a high physical activity level over 20 years and weight gain. JAMA. 2010;304:2603-10 pubmed publisher..39-0.58 cm vs 0.67 cm in the lower activity group; 95% CI, 0.60-0.75 cm) [corrected]. Maintaining high activity levels through young adulthood may lessen weight gain as young adults transition to middle age, particularly in women. ..
- Lindquist L, Jain N, Tam K, Martin G, Baker D. Inadequate health literacy among paid caregivers of seniors. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:474-9 pubmed publisher..Educating caregivers and ascertaining their health literacy levels prior to assigning health-related tasks may be an important process in providing optimal care to seniors. ..
- Abbasian J, Martin T, Patel S, Tessler H, Goldstein D. Immunologic and genetic markers in patients with idiopathic ocular inflammation and a family history of inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;154:72-7 pubmed publisher..Prometheus IBD Serology 7 may be useful in the evaluation of selected patients with unexplained uveitis. ..
- Hornby T, Kinnaird C, Holleran C, Rafferty M, Rodriguez K, Cain J. Kinematic, muscular, and metabolic responses during exoskeletal-, elliptical-, or therapist-assisted stepping in people with incomplete spinal cord injury. Phys Ther. 2012;92:1278-91 pubmed publisher..Understanding potential differences and similarities in stepping performance with robotic assistance may be important in delivery of repeated locomotor training using robotic or therapist assistance and for consumers of robotic devices. ..
- Attarian H, Zhu L. Treatment options for disorders of arousal: a case series. Int J Neurosci. 2013;123:623-5 pubmed publisher..Non-rapid-eye-movement parasomnias or disorders of arousal (DOA) are more prevalent in children, but they do occur in adults. There are no practice parameters published for treatment of DOAs...
- Kishi S, Armstrong A, Gidding S, Jacobs D, Sidney S, Lewis C, et al. Relation of left ventricular mass at age 23 to 35 years to global left ventricular systolic function 20 years later (from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults study). Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:377-83 pubmed publisher..46, p = 0.0018). In conclusion, LVMI in young adulthood in association with chronic risk exposure affects systolic function in middle age; the antecedents of heart failure may occur at younger ages than previously thought. ..
- Gotto A, Cannon C, Li X, Vaidya S, Kher U, Brinton E, et al. Evaluation of lipids, drug concentration, and safety parameters following cessation of treatment with the cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitor anacetrapib in patients with or at high risk for coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:76-83 pubmed publisher
- Gonzalez M, Tarandy D, Troy D, Phillips D, Weinzweig N. Free tissue coverage of chronic traumatic wounds of the lower leg. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002;109:592-600 pubmed..An abnormal angiogram and the presence of osteomyelitis both were associated with a lower rate of successful limb reconstruction, but this was not significant, probably because of the small size of the cohort. ..
- Deutsch H, Mummaneni P, Haid R, Rodts G, Ondra S. Benign sacral tumors. Neurosurg Focus. 2003;15:E14 pubmed..Chordomas along as well as tumors such as chondrosarcomas, osteosarcomas, myxopapillary ependymomas, myelomas, and Ewing sarcomas are considered malignant. In this article the authors focus on benign sacral tumors. ..
- Donenberg G, Pao M. Youths and HIV/AIDS: psychiatry's role in a changing epidemic. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005;44:728-47 pubmed..With minimal effort, mental health professionals can adapt and apply the strategies that they use to treat psychiatric symptoms to prevent HIV transmission behaviors. ..
- Luu H, Zhou L, Haydon R, Deyrup A, Montag A, Huo D, et al. Increased expression of S100A6 is associated with decreased metastasis and inhibition of cell migration and anchorage independent growth in human osteosarcoma. Cancer Lett. 2005;229:135-48 pubmed..Our findings provide evidence that, while S100A6 is commonly overexpressed in human osteosarcoma, loss of its expression correlates with a metastatic phenotype. ..
- Dumonski M, Arciero R, Mazzocca A. Ulnar nerve palsy after elbow arthroscopy. Arthroscopy. 2006;22:577.e1-3 pubmed..In this location, the ulnar nerve is protected from injury by the medial intermuscular septum. Extending this placement more proximally may negate this protection, leaving the nerve more susceptible to injury...
- Gonsalves N, Policarpio Nicolas M, Zhang Q, Rao M, Hirano I. Histopathologic variability and endoscopic correlates in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;64:313-9 pubmed..No significant difference in eosinophilia was demonstrated between proximal and distal sites. ..
- Robinson J, Turrisi R, Stapleton J. Efficacy of a partner assistance intervention designed to increase skin self-examination performance. Arch Dermatol. 2007;143:37-41 pubmed..01), and higher perceived self-efficacy (P<.01). Dyadic learning may be more effective than solo learning in regard to interventions designed to teach and promote health behaviors, such as SSE. ..
- Robinson J, Kim J, Rosenbaum S, Ortiz S. Indoor tanning knowledge, attitudes, and behavior among young adults from 1988-2007. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144:484-8 pubmed publisher..Conclusion Because young adults report that physicians are their most trusted source of information about tanning, a potential opportunity exists for physicians to influence indoor tanning behavior by counseling their patients. ..
- Mackesy Amiti M, Fendrich M, Johnson T. Substance-related problems and treatment among men who have sex with men in comparison to other men in Chicago. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009;36:227-33 pubmed publisher..Research is needed on effective methods for integrating HIV prevention for MSM into substance treatment settings, including physician-administered buprenorphine treatment for opiate addiction. ..
- Tao J, Hawes Ebersole S, Baldwin M, Shah S, Erickson R, Ebersole J. The accuracy and reliability of 3D CT/MRI co-registration in planning epilepsy surgery. Clin Neurophysiol. 2009;120:748-53 pubmed publisher..The combination of 3D CT/MRI co-registration and intra-operative digital photography techniques provides a practical and effective algorithm for the localization and validation of implanted subdural electrodes. ..
- Huang J, Abrams M, Tlougan B, Rademaker A, Paller A. Treatment of Staphylococcus aureus colonization in atopic dermatitis decreases disease severity. Pediatrics. 2009;123:e808-14 pubmed publisher..Patients with atopic dermatitis do not seem to have increased susceptibility to infection or colonization with resistant strains of S aureus. ..
- RUSCH N, Corrigan P, Wassel A, Michaels P, Larson J, Olschewski M, et al. Self-stigma, group identification, perceived legitimacy of discrimination and mental health service use. Br J Psychiatry. 2009;195:551-2 pubmed publisher..More self-stigma predicted psychiatric hospitalisation. Cognitive indicators of stigma resilience may predict out-patient service use, whereas self-stigma may increase the risk of psychiatric hospitalisation. ..
- Frank R, Van Thiel G, Slabaugh M, Romeo A, Cole B, Verma N. Clinical outcomes after microfracture of the glenohumeral joint. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:772-81 pubmed publisher..Longer term studies are required to determine if similar results are maintained over time. ..
- Fangusaro J, Massimino M, Rutkowski S, Gururangan S. Non-cerebellar primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNET): summary of the Milan consensus and state of the art workshop on marrow ablative chemotherapy with hematopoietic cell rescue for malignant brain tumors of childhood and adolescents. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;54:638-40 pubmed publisher..Here we present the international experience treating these patients with a variety of therapies, including marrow ablative chemotherapy followed by autologous hematopoietic cell rescue...
- Patwari P, Stewart T, Rand C, Carroll M, Kuntz N, Kenny A, et al. Pupillometry in congenital central hypoventilation syndrome (CCHS): quantitative evidence of autonomic nervous system dysregulation. Pediatr Res. 2012;71:280-5 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that quantitative pupil measures, obtained using pupillometry, would vary between cases with CCHS and controls and within those with CCHS by PHOX2B genotype...
- Taber D, Chriqui J, Chaloupka F. State laws governing school meals and disparities in fruit/vegetable intake. Am J Prev Med. 2013;44:365-72 pubmed publisher..Laws that require FV in school meals may improve FV intake, particularly among students with limited access to healthy foods at home. ..
- Ravens Sieberer U, Devine J, Bevans K, Riley A, Moon J, Salsman J, et al. Subjective well-being measures for children were developed within the PROMIS project: presentation of first results. J Clin Epidemiol. 2014;67:207-18 pubmed publisher..The SWB measures for children are the first to assess both the hedonic and eudaimonic aspects of SWB. Both children and youth seem to understand the concepts of a meaningful life, optimism, and goal orientation. ..
- Mayahara M, Foreman M, Wilbur J, Paice J, Fogg L. Effect of hospice nonprofessional caregiver barriers to pain management on adherence to analgesic administration recommendations and patient outcomes. Pain Manag Nurs. 2015;16:249-56 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies are now needed to identify factors besides caregiver barriers that may unduly lower caregiver adherence to PRN analgesic regimens. ..
- Bachanova V, Burns L, Ahn K, Laport G, Akpek G, Kharfan Dabaja M, et al. Impact of Pretransplantation (18)F-fluorodeoxy Glucose-Positron Emission Tomography Status on Outcomes after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015;21:1605-11 pubmed publisher..A positive PET scan before HCT is associated with increased relapse risk but should not be interpreted as a barrier to a successful allograft. PET status does not appear to predict survival after allogeneic HCT for NHL. ..
- Macnamara A, VergÃ©s A, Kujawa A, Fitzgerald K, Monk C, Phan K. Age-related changes in emotional face processing across childhood and into young adulthood: Evidence from event-related potentials. Dev Psychobiol. 2016;58:27-38 pubmed publisher..Results indicate age-related attenuation in emotional processing that may stem from greater efficiency and regulatory control when performing a socio-emotional task. ..
- Masho S, Schoeny M, Webster D, Sigel E. Outcomes, Data, and Indicators of Violence at the Community Level. J Prim Prev. 2016;37:121-39 pubmed publisher..Public health professionals should utilize local surveillance data to monitor and describe youth violence in the community. Further, the data can be used to evaluate the impact of interventions in improving community-level outcomes. ..
- Lwanga A, Garcia Sayan E, Lwanga S, Karreman E, Mohamed A. Automated External Defibrillators and Survival After Nonresidential Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest in a Small North American City. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1979-1982 pubmed publisher..08, p <0.01). The optimal locations for AED placement in cities of similar size and density may need to be reexamined, as the findings may have implications for public policies surrounding AED placement. ..
- Hulbert M, Panepinto J, Scott J, Liem R, Cook L, Simmons T, et al. Red blood cell transfusions during sickle cell anemia vaso-occlusive crises: a report from the magnesium in crisis (MAGiC) study. Transfusion. 2017;57:1891-1897 pubmed publisher..ACS increased the RR of transfusion in children hospitalized for VOC sevenfold. In children without ACS, transfusion was associated with lowest Hb concentration, particularly Hb concentrationÂ of less than 6.3 g/dL. ..
- Lavange L, Davis S, Hankinson J, Enright P, Wilson R, Barr R, et al. Spirometry Reference Equations from the HCHS/SOL (Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos). Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:993-1003 pubmed publisher..Reference equations have been established for Mexican Americans but not for others with Hispanic/Latino backgrounds...
- Mor Avi V, Spencer K, Gorcsan J, Demaria A, Kimball T, Monaghan M, et al. Normal values of regional left ventricular endocardial motion: multicenter color kinesis study. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;279:H2464-76 pubmed..Diastolic asynchrony increased with age (from 4.7 +/- 2.0 to 6.4 +/- 3.2 from the 2nd to 7th decade). The normal values of color kinesis indexes should allow objective detection of regional LV systolic and diastolic dysfunction...
- Liu X, Berg N, Sheehan J, Bi X, Weale P, Jerecic R, et al. Renal transplant: nonenhanced renal MR angiography with magnetization-prepared steady-state free precession. Radiology. 2009;251:535-42 pubmed publisher..Results suggest SSFP MR angiography permits image quality of renal transplant arteries and detection of arterial stenosis comparable with those at contrast-enhanced MR angiography...
- Eissa T, Tryba A, Marcuccilli C, Ben Mabrouk F, Smith E, Lew S, et al. Multiscale Aspects of Generation of High-Gamma Activity during Seizures in Human Neocortex. Eneuro. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Instead, we present evidence that HG power at the macroscale may result from harmonics of ongoing seizure activity. Ictal HG power marks the seizure core, but the generating mechanism can differ across spatial scales. ..
- Lin S, Schranz J, Teutsch S. Aspergillosis case-fatality rate: systematic review of the literature. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:358-66 pubmed..Mortality is high despite improvements in diagnosis and despite the advent of newer formulations of amphotericin B. Underlying patient conditions and the site of infection remain important prognostic factors. ..
- Dickel D, Veenstra Vanderweele J, Bivens N, Wu X, Fischer D, Van Etten Lee M, et al. Association studies of serotonin system candidate genes in early-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;61:322-9 pubmed..Accumulation of evidence from multiple studies will be necessary to evaluate the potential role for these genes in contributing to susceptibility to OCD. ..
- Jacob S, Brune C, Carter C, Leventhal B, Lord C, Cook E. Association of the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR) in Caucasian children and adolescents with autism. Neurosci Lett. 2007;417:6-9 pubmed..Overtransmission of different alleles in different populations may be due to a different pattern of linkage disequilibrium between the marker rs2254298 and an as yet undetermined susceptibility variant in OXTR. ..
- Mercer L, Tanabe P, Pang P, Gisondi M, Courtney D, Engel K, et al. Patient perspectives on communication with the medical team: pilot study using the Communication Assessment Tool-Team (CAT-T). Patient Educ Couns. 2008;73:220-3 pubmed publisher..Results indicate the need to improve communication in the ED. In the ED, focusing on the medical team rather then individual caregivers may more accurately reflect patients' experience. ..
- Della Valle C, Nunley R, Raterman S, Barrack R. Initial American experience with hip resurfacing following FDA approval. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:72-8 pubmed publisher..Level IV, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Cotler S, Dhamija M, Siqueira F, Bartram A, Luc B, Layden T, et al. Hepatitis B seroprevalence and disease characteristics in an urban Chinatown community. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7:776-80 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of testing and medical management of hepatitis B in Chinese Americans. ..
- Bach B, Dasilva J. Arthroscopic-assisted removal of a migrated intra-articular distal femoral epiphysiodesis staple. J Knee Surg. 2009;22:272-5 pubmed..This case highlights the potential complication of staple intra-articular migration and the arthroscopic approach to removal. ..
- Conrad K, Bezruczko N, Chan Y, Riley B, Diamond G, Dennis M. Screening for atypical suicide risk with person fit statistics among people presenting to alcohol and other drug treatment. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;106:92-100 pubmed publisher..Person fit statistics were useful in identifying persons with atypical suicide profiles and in enlightening aspects of existing theory concerning atypical suicidal ideation. ..
- Valentino L. Assessing the benefits of FEIBA prophylaxis in haemophilia patients with inhibitors. Haemophilia. 2010;16:263-71 pubmed publisher..No thrombotic or other complications were reported. These results suggest that the prophylactic administration of FEIBA can be an effective and safe method for reducing bleeding events in patients with haemophilia A and inhibitors. ..
- Mosconi M, Kay M, D Cruz A, Guter S, Kapur K, Macmillan C, et al. Neurobehavioral abnormalities in first-degree relatives of individuals with autism. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67:830-40 pubmed publisher..Similar oculomotor deficits have been reported in individuals with autism, suggesting that they may be familial and useful for studies of neurophysiological and genetic mechanisms in autism. ..
- Tsipursky M, Golchet P, Jampol L. Photodynamic therapy of choroidal hemangioma in sturge-weber syndrome, with a review of treatments for diffuse and circumscribed choroidal hemangiomas. Surv Ophthalmol. 2011;56:68-85 pubmed publisher..PDT is an effective treatment option for visual deterioration from exudative retinal detachment in patients with diffuse choroidal hemangiomas. ..