Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on microfilament proteins in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Topic: microfilament proteins
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Molecular and biochemical characterization of kettin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:449-54 pubmed..Immunofluorescent localization of kettin shows that it localizes to the I-bands in the obliquely striated body wall muscle. Therefore, C. elegans is an attractive model system to study specific functions of kettin in muscle cells. ..
- Ono K, Yu R, Mohri K, Ono S. Caenorhabditis elegans kettin, a large immunoglobulin-like repeat protein, binds to filamentous actin and provides mechanical stability to the contractile apparatuses in body wall muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2722-34 pubmed..These results suggest that kettin is an important regulator of myofibrillar organization and provides mechanical stability to the myofibrils during contraction. ..
- Ono S. Regulation of actin filament dynamics by actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin and actin-interacting protein 1: new blades for twisted filaments. Biochemistry. 2003;42:13363-70 pubmed..The crystal structure of AIP1 revealed its unique structure with two seven-bladed beta-propeller domains. Thus, AIP1 is a new class of actin regulatory proteins that selectively enhances ADF/cofilin-dependent actin filament dynamics. ..
- Schafer Hales K, Iaconelli J, Snyder J, Prussia A, Nettles J, El Naggar A, et al. Farnesyl transferase inhibitors impair chromosomal maintenance in cell lines and human tumors by compromising CENP-E and CENP-F function. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007;6:1317-28 pubmed..This analysis revealed three hydrophobic patches on the tubulin dimer for insertion of a farnesyl group, alluding to the possibility of an association between a farnesyl group and the microtubule. ..
- Severson E, Lee W, Capaldo C, Nusrat A, Parkos C. Junctional adhesion molecule A interacts with Afadin and PDZ-GEF2 to activate Rap1A, regulate beta1 integrin levels, and enhance cell migration. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1916-25 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that JAM-A dimerization facilitates formation of a complex with Afadin and PDZ-GEF2 that activates Rap1A, which regulates beta1 integrin levels and cell migration. ..
- Clempus R, Sorescu D, Dikalova A, Pounkova L, Jo P, Sorescu G, et al. Nox4 is required for maintenance of the differentiated vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:42-8 pubmed..These findings highlight the importance of identifying the specific source of ROS involved in particular cellular functions when designing therapeutic interventions. ..
- Ono S, Nomura K, Hitosugi S, Tu D, Lee J, Baillie D, et al. The two actin-interacting protein 1 genes have overlapping and essential function for embryonic development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2258-69 pubmed publisher..Thus our results suggest that enhancement of actin filament disassembly by ADF/cofilin and AIP1 proteins is critical for embryogenesis. ..
- Li Q, Ke Y, Kapp J, Fertig N, Medsger T, Joshi H. A novel cell-cycle-dependent 350-kDa nuclear protein: C-terminal domain sufficient for nuclear localization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;212:220-8 pubmed..Molecular cloning and transfection studies reveal that the 350-kDa AH protein contains a coiled-coil and a globular domain at the C-terminus that is sufficient for nuclear localization. ..
- Rong R, Surace E, Haipek C, Gutmann D, Ye K. Serine 518 phosphorylation modulates merlin intramolecular association and binding to critical effectors important for NF2 growth suppression. Oncogene. 2004;23:8447-54 pubmed..These observations suggest that merlin S518 phosphorylation directly modulates merlin intramolecular and intermolecular associations important for the ability of merlin to function as a tumor suppressor...
- Mohri K, Vorobiev S, Fedorov A, Almo S, Ono S. Identification of functional residues on Caenorhabditis elegans actin-interacting protein 1 (UNC-78) for disassembly of actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31697-707 pubmed..These data support a model in which this conserved surface of AIP1 plays a direct role in enhancing fragmentation/depolymerization of ADF/cofilin-bound actin filaments but not in barbed end capping. ..
- Mohri K, Ono S. Actin filament disassembling activity of Caenorhabditis elegans actin-interacting protein 1 (UNC-78) is dependent on filament binding by a specific ADF/cofilin isoform. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4107-18 pubmed..These results suggest that UNC-78 closely collaborates with UNC-60B to regulate actin dynamics in muscle cells. ..
- Nomura K, Ono K, Ono S. CAS-1, a C. elegans cyclase-associated protein, is required for sarcomeric actin assembly in striated muscle. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4077-89 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic and biochemical evidence that cyclase-associated protein is a critical regulator of sarcomeric actin organization in striated muscle. ..
- Deng W, Putkey J, Li R. Calmodulin adopts an extended conformation when interacting with L-selectin in membranes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62861 pubmed publisher..Understanding the association of calmodulin with L-selectin helps to shed light on the mechanisms underlying regulation of ectodomain shedding. ..
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Microscopic evidence that actin-interacting protein 1 actively disassembles actin-depolymerizing factor/Cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14207-12 pubmed..These results suggest that AIP has an active role in filament severing or depolymerization and that ADF/cofilin and AIP1 are distinct from gelsolin in modulating filament elongation. ..
- Fischer L, Li Y, Asress S, Jones D, Glass J. Absence of SOD1 leads to oxidative stress in peripheral nerve and causes a progressive distal motor axonopathy. Exp Neurol. 2012;233:163-71 pubmed publisher..Pathology in this model primarily affects motor axon terminals at the neuromuscular junction, demonstrating the vulnerability of this synapse to oxidative injury. ..
- Dalmasso G, Nguyen H, Ingersoll S, Ayyadurai S, Laroui H, Charania M, et al. The PepT1-NOD2 signaling pathway aggravates induced colitis in mice. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1334-45 pubmed publisher..The PepT1-NOD2 signaling pathway is involved in aggravation of DSS-induced colitis in mice. ..
- Samarin S, Koch S, Ivanov A, Parkos C, Nusrat A. Coronin 1C negatively regulates cell-matrix adhesion and motility of intestinal epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:394-400 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings provide the first evidence that Coronin 1C negatively regulates epithelial cell migration via FAK-mediated inhibition of cell-matrix adhesion. ..
- Patel R, Morris A, Ahmed Y, Kavtaradze N, Sher S, Su S, et al. A genetic risk variant for myocardial infarction on chromosome 6p24 is associated with impaired central hemodynamic indexes. Am J Hypertens. 2012;25:797-803 pubmed publisher..5%. The GWAS discovered MI risk variant at 6p24 in the protein phosphatase 1 regulator gene (PHACTR1) is associated with adverse arterial wave reflection indexes and may mediate MI risk through this pathway. ..
- Simionescu Bankston A, Leoni G, Wang Y, Pham P, Ramalingam A, DuHadaway J, et al. The N-BAR domain protein, Bin3, regulates Rac1- and Cdc42-dependent processes in myogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;382:160-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data classify N-BAR domain proteins as novel regulators of actin-dependent processes in myogenesis, and further implicate BAR domain proteins in muscle growth and repair. ..
- Lee M, San Martin A, Valdivia A, Martin Garrido A, Griendling K. Redox-Sensitive Regulation of Myocardin-Related Transcription Factor (MRTF-A) Phosphorylation via Palladin in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Differentiation Marker Gene Expression. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153199 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of palladin also decreases MRTF-A phosphorylation. These data suggest that Nox4-dependent palladin expression and ROCK regulate phosphorylation of MRTF-A, a critical factor in the regulation of SRF responsive gene expression. ..
- Yamashiro S, Cox E, Baillie D, Hardin J, Ono S. Sarcomeric actin organization is synergistically promoted by tropomodulin, ADF/cofilin, AIP1 and profilin in C. elegans. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3867-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose a model in which tropomodulin and enhancers of actin dynamics synergistically regulate elongation and shortening of actin filaments at the pointed end. ..
- Stevenson T, Mercer K, Cox E, Szewczyk N, Conley C, HARDIN J, et al. unc-94 encodes a tropomodulin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:936-50 pubmed..In addition, UNC-94 is localized near muscle cell-to-cell boundaries. ..
- Ono K, Ono S. Tropomyosin and troponin are required for ovarian contraction in the Caenorhabditis elegans reproductive system. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2782-93 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that tropomyosin and troponin are the actin-linked regulators for contraction of ovarian muscle in the C. elegans reproductive system. ..
- Ono K, Parast M, Alberico C, Benian G, Ono S. Specific requirement for two ADF/cofilin isoforms in distinct actin-dependent processes in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2073-85 pubmed..These results suggest that the ADF/cofilin isoforms play distinct roles in specific aspects of actin reorganization in vivo. ..
- Ono S, Ono K. Tropomyosin inhibits ADF/cofilin-dependent actin filament dynamics. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1065-76 pubmed..However, in an ADF/cofilin mutant background, suppression of CeTM did not worsen actin organization and worm motility. These results suggest that tropomyosin is a physiological inhibitor of ADF/cofilin-dependent actin dynamics. ..
- Mosunjac M, Lewis M, Lawson D, Cohen C. Use of a novel marker, calponin, for myoepithelial cells in fine-needle aspirates of papillary breast lesions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2000;23:151-5 pubmed..More than half of all cases had nuclear staining of epithelial cells with SMA; calponin did not show any nuclear staining...
- Ono S. Purification and biochemical characterization of actin from Caenorhabditis elegans: its difference from rabbit muscle actin in the interaction with nematode ADF/cofilin. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1999;43:128-36 pubmed..The results indicate that C. elegans actin shares common biochemical properties with rabbit muscle actin, while actin-binding proteins can interact with C. elegans actin in a distinct manner from rabbit muscle actin. ..
- Ono S, Baillie D, Benian G. UNC-60B, an ADF/cofilin family protein, is required for proper assembly of actin into myofibrils in Caenorhabditis elegans body wall muscle. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:491-502 pubmed..We conclude that precise control of actin filament dynamics by UNC-60B is required for proper integration of actin into myofibrils. ..
- Ono K, Yamashiro S, Ono S. Essential role of ADF/cofilin for assembly of contractile actin networks in the C. elegans somatic gonad. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2662-70 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that an optimal level of actin-filament-severing activity of ADF/cofilin is required for assembly of actin networks in the somatic gonad. ..
- Ono S, Benian G. Two Caenorhabditis elegans actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin proteins, encoded by the unc-60 gene, differentially regulate actin filament dynamics. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3778-83 pubmed..These data suggest that the two UNC-60 isoforms play differential roles in regulating actin filament dynamics in vivo. ..