Experts and Doctors on disease eradication in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Topic: disease eradication
- Zipursky S, Vandelaer J, Brooks A, Dietz V, Kachra T, Farrell M, et al. Polio Endgame: Lessons Learned From the Immunization Systems Management Group. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S9-S14 pubmed publisher..This article outlines 10 key factors behind the IMG's success, providing a potential set of guiding principles for the establishment and implementation of other interagency collaborations and initiatives beyond the polio sphere. ..
- van den Ent M, Swift R, Anaokar S, Hegg L, Eggers R, Cochi S. Contribution of Global Polio Eradication Initiative-Funded Personnel to the Strengthening of Routine Immunization Programs in the 10 Focus Countries of the Polio Eradication and Endgame Strategic Plan. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S244-S249 pubmed publisher
- Poy A, van den Ent M, Sosler S, Hinman A, Brown S, Sodha S, et al. Monitoring Results in Routine Immunization: Development of Routine Immunization Dashboard in Selected African Countries in the Context of the Polio Eradication Endgame Strategic Plan. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S226-S236 pubmed publisher..When measuring progress toward improving immunization systems, it is helpful to use a comprehensive approach that allows for measuring multiple dimensions of the system. ..
- Kassahun A, Braka F, Gallagher K, Gebriel A, Nsubuga P, M pele Kilebou P. Introducing an accountability framework for polio eradication in Ethiopia: results from the first year of implementation 2014-2015. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:12 pubmed publisher..the introduction of the accountability framework resulted in improvement in staff performance and overall program indicators for AFP surveillance. ..
- Mulders M, Serhan F, Goodson J, Icenogle J, Johnson B, Rota P. Expansion of Surveillance for Vaccine-preventable Diseases: Building on the Global Polio Laboratory Network and the Global Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network Platforms. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S324-S330 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the WHO-coordinated laboratory networks supporting VPD surveillance and present a plan for the further development of these networks. ..
- Farrell M, Hampton L, Shendale S, Menning L, Gonzalez A, Garon J, et al. Monitoring and Validation of the Global Replacement of tOPV with bOPV, April-May 2016. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S193-S201 pubmed publisher..These data, along with field reports suggest that monitoring and validation of the switch was efficient and effective, and that the strategies used during the process could be adapted to future stages of OPV withdrawal. ..
- Harris J, Wiegand R. Detecting infection hotspots: Modeling the surveillance challenge for elimination of lymphatic filariasis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005610 pubmed publisher..Current approaches towards surveillance, including TAS, may not detect small, low-intensity LF microfoci that could remain after cessation of MDA. The model provides many surveillance protocols that can be selected for optimal outcomes. ..
- Wallace R, Etheart M, Ludder F, Augustin P, Fenelon N, Franka R, et al. The Health Impact of Rabies in Haiti and Recent Developments on the Path Toward Elimination, 2010-2015. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:76-83 pubmed publisher..Haiti is well situated to eliminate canine-mediated human rabies deaths in the near future and should serve as a great example to many developing countries struggling with similar barriers and limitations...
- Deblina Datta S, Tangermann R, Reef S, William Schluter W, Adams A. National, Regional and Global Certification Bodies for Polio Eradication: A Framework for Verifying Measles Elimination. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S351-S354 pubmed publisher..These highly visible bodies provide a framework to be replicated to independently verify measles and rubella elimination in the regions and globally. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Sankara D, Agua J, Jonnalagedda L, Rumi F, Weiss A, et al. The cost-effectiveness of an eradication programme in the end game: Evidence from guinea worm disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005922 pubmed publisher..We analyze the cost-effectiveness of the GWEP in the end game, when the number of cases is lower and the cost per case is higher than at any other time. Ours is the first economic evaluation of the GWEP since a World Bank study in 1997...
- Kerr Y, Mailhot M, Williams A, Swezy V, Quick L, Tangermann R, et al. Lessons Learned and Legacy of the Stop Transmission of Polio Program. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S316-S323 pubmed publisher..This article describes the STOP program and how it has contributed to polio eradication by building global public health workforce capacity. ..
- Lammie P, Eberhard M, Addiss D, Won K, Beau De Rochars M, Direny A, et al. Translating Research into Reality: Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis from Haiti. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:71-75 pubmed publisher..Ongoing research efforts involving many partners will continue to be important in resolving the challenges faced by the program today in its final efforts to achieve elimination...
- Lemoine J, BONCY J, Filler S, Kachur S, Fitter D, Chang M. Haiti's Commitment to Malaria Elimination: Progress in the Face of Challenges, 2010-2016. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:43-48 pubmed publisher..The reinforcement of evidence-based approaches coupled with strong collaboration among the Ministry of Health and partners has demonstrated that malaria elimination by 2020 is a realistic prospect...
- Rutter P, Hinman A, Hegg L, King D, Sosler S, Swezy V, et al. Transition Planning For After Polio Eradication. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S287-S292 pubmed publisher..Further detailed technical work is now needed, supported by broad and engaged debate, for this undertaking to achieve its full potential. ..
- Cowger T, Burns C, Sharif S, Gary H, Iber J, Henderson E, et al. The role of supplementary environmental surveillance to complement acute flaccid paralysis surveillance for wild poliovirus in Pakistan - 2011-2013. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180608 pubmed publisher..Overall, targeted ES through strategic selection of sites has important implications in the eradication endgame strategy. ..
- Granich R, Gupta S, Hall I, Aberle Grasse J, Hader S, Mermin J. Status and methodology of publicly available national HIV care continua and 90-90-90 targets: A systematic review. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002253 pubmed publisher..A standardized monitoring and evaluation approach could improve the use of scarce resources to achieve 90-90-90 through improved transparency, accountability, and efficiency. ..