Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans proteins in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans proteins
- Altincicek B, Fischer M, Fischer M, Lüersen K, Boll M, Wenzel U, et al. Role of matrix metalloproteinase ZMP-2 in pathogen resistance and development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Comp Immunol. 2010;34:1160-9 pubmed publisher..These results give evidence for pleiotropic roles of zmp-2 and provide novel insights into evolutionarily conserved and derived MMP functions in C. elegans. ..
- Lamitina S, L hernault S. Dominant mutations in the Caenorhabditis elegans Myt1 ortholog wee-1.3 reveal a novel domain that controls M-phase entry during spermatogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5009-18 pubmed..This suggests that a novel, sperm-specific pathway negatively regulates WEE-1.3 to allow the G2/M transition of male meiosis I, and that dominant wee-1.3 mutants prevent this negative regulation. ..
- Katz D, Edwards T, Reinke V, Kelly W. A C. elegans LSD1 demethylase contributes to germline immortality by reprogramming epigenetic memory. Cell. 2009;137:308-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide direct mechanistic insights into the processes that are required for epigenetic reprogramming between generations. ..
- Anyanful A, Easley K, Benian G, Kalman D. Conditioning protects C. elegans from lethal effects of enteropathogenic E. coli by activating genes that regulate lifespan and innate immunity. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;5:450-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the molecular pathways that control innate immunity and lifespan may be regulated or "conditioned" by exposure to pathogens to allow survival in noxious environments. ..
- Schaner C, Deshpande G, Schedl P, Kelly W. A conserved chromatin architecture marks and maintains the restricted germ cell lineage in worms and flies. Dev Cell. 2003;5:747-57 pubmed..These results indicate that genome-wide repression via a nanos-regulated, germ cell-specific chromatin organization is a conserved feature of germline maintenance during embryogenesis. ..
- Wilson K, Qadota H, Mains P, Benian G. UNC-89 (obscurin) binds to MEL-26, a BTB-domain protein, and affects the function of MEI-1 (katanin) in striated muscle of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2623-34 pubmed publisher..The level of MEI-1 protein is reduced in an unc-89 mutant, suggesting that the normal role of UNC-89 is to inhibit the CUL-3/MEL-26 complex toward MEI-1. ..
- Qadota H, Moerman D, Benian G. A molecular mechanism for the requirement of PAT-4 (integrin-linked kinase (ILK)) for the localization of UNC-112 (Kindlin) to integrin adhesion sites. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28537-51 pubmed publisher..The following model is proposed. UNC-112 exists in closed inactive and open active conformations, and upon binding of PAT-4 to the UNC-112 N-terminal half, UNC-112 is converted into the open state, able to bind to PAT-3. ..
- Qadota H, McGaha L, Mercer K, Stark T, Ferrara T, Benian G. A novel protein phosphatase is a binding partner for the protein kinase domains of UNC-89 (Obscurin) in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2424-32 pubmed publisher..RNA interference knockdown results in a defect in the function of egg-laying muscles. These studies suggest a new role for the CTD phosphatase family, that is, in muscle giant kinase signaling. ..
- Ono K, Ono S. Two distinct myosin II populations coordinate ovulatory contraction of the myoepithelial sheath in the Caenorhabditis elegans somatic gonad. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1131-42 pubmed publisher..Thus the results indicate that the two spatially distinct myosin II populations coordinately regulate ovulatory contraction of the myoepithelial sheath. ..
- Xiong G, Qadota H, Mercer K, McGaha L, Oberhauser A, Benian G. A LIM-9 (FHL)/SCPL-1 (SCP) complex interacts with the C-terminal protein kinase regions of UNC-89 (obscurin) in Caenorhabditis elegans muscle. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:976-88 pubmed..We suggest two structural models for the interactions of SCPL-1 and LIM-9 with UNC-89 at the M-line. ..
- Zhu G, Salazar G, Zlatic S, Fiza B, Doucette M, Heilman C, et al. SPE-39 family proteins interact with the HOPS complex and function in lysosomal delivery. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1223-40 pubmed publisher..elegans spermatogenesis is an experimental system useful for identifying conserved regulators of metazoan lysosomal biogenesis. ..
- Shan G, Walthall W. Copulation in C. elegans males requires a nuclear hormone receptor. Dev Biol. 2008;322:11-20 pubmed publisher..We suggest that UNC-55 acts as an interface between genes involved in male tail pattern formation and those responsible for function. ..
- Mercer K, Szlam S, Manning E, Gernert K, Walthall W, Benian G, et al. A C. elegans homolog of huntingtin-associated protein 1 is expressed in chemosensory neurons and in a number of other somatic cell types. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;37:37-49 pubmed publisher..These include the amphid chemosensory neurons ASKL and R, ASIL and R, ADFL and ASEL, the phasmid neurons PHBL and R, and the CAN neurons that are required for worm survival. ..
- Yamashiro S, Gimona M, Ono S. UNC-87, a calponin-related protein in C. elegans, antagonizes ADF/cofilin-mediated actin filament dynamics. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3022-33 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that actin binding via calponin-like repeats competes with ADF/cofilin-driven cytoskeletal turnover, and is critical for providing the spatiotemporal regulation of actin filament stability. ..
- Matsunaga Y, Hwang H, Franke B, Williams R, Penley M, Qadota H, et al. Twitchin kinase inhibits muscle activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1591-1600 pubmed publisher..Wild-type nematodes exhibited greater competitive fitness than unc-22(sf21) mutants. Thus the catalytic activity of twitchin kinase has a role in vivo, where it inhibits muscle activity and is likely maintained by selection. ..
- Yu B, Wang X, Wei S, Fu T, Dzakah E, Waqas A, et al. Convergent Transcriptional Programs Regulate cAMP Levels in C. elegans GABAergic Motor Neurons. Dev Cell. 2017;43:212-226.e7 pubmed publisher..Other genes modulating DD respecification such as lin-14, irx-1, and oig-1 are also found to affect cAMP levels...
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Microscopic evidence that actin-interacting protein 1 actively disassembles actin-depolymerizing factor/Cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14207-12 pubmed..These results suggest that AIP has an active role in filament severing or depolymerization and that ADF/cofilin and AIP1 are distinct from gelsolin in modulating filament elongation. ..
- Anyanful A, Ono K, Johnsen R, Ly H, Jensen V, Baillie D, et al. The RNA-binding protein SUP-12 controls muscle-specific splicing of the ADF/cofilin pre-mRNA in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:639-47 pubmed..Our results suggest that SUP-12 is a novel tissue-specific splicing factor and regulates functional redundancy among ADF/cofilin isoforms. ..
- Mercer K, Miller R, Tinley T, Sheth S, Qadota H, Benian G. Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-96 is a new component of M-lines that interacts with UNC-98 and paramyosin and is required in adult muscle for assembly and/or maintenance of thick filaments. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:3832-47 pubmed..Additionally, UNC-96 copurifies with native thick filaments. A model is presented in which UNC-96 is required in adult muscle to promote thick filament assembly and/or maintenance...
- Small T, Gernert K, Flaherty D, Mercer K, Borodovsky M, Benian G. Three new isoforms of Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-89 containing MLCK-like protein kinase domains. J Mol Biol. 2004;342:91-108 pubmed..Homology modeling suggests that PK2 is catalytically active, PK1 is inactive, and that PK1-C and PK1-D have similar structures at their N termini that may create sites for interaction with other proteins. ..
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Molecular and biochemical characterization of kettin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:449-54 pubmed..Immunofluorescent localization of kettin shows that it localizes to the I-bands in the obliquely striated body wall muscle. Therefore, C. elegans is an attractive model system to study specific functions of kettin in muscle cells. ..
- Yamashiro S, Cox E, Baillie D, Hardin J, Ono S. Sarcomeric actin organization is synergistically promoted by tropomodulin, ADF/cofilin, AIP1 and profilin in C. elegans. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3867-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose a model in which tropomodulin and enhancers of actin dynamics synergistically regulate elongation and shortening of actin filaments at the pointed end. ..
- Felton C, Johnson C. Modulation of dopamine-dependent behaviors by the Caenorhabditis elegans Olig homolog HLH-17. J Neurosci Res. 2011;89:1627-36 pubmed publisher..Together these results point to a role for HLH-17 in dopamine signaling in C. elegans. ..
- Liu Z, Klaavuniemi T, Ono S. Distinct roles of four gelsolin-like domains of Caenorhabditis elegans gelsolin-like protein-1 in actin filament severing, barbed end capping, and phosphoinositide binding. Biochemistry. 2010;49:4349-60 pubmed publisher..These results reveal both conserved and different utilization of G domains between C. elegans GSNL-1 and mammalian gelsolin for actin regulatory functions. ..
- Miller R, Qadota H, Stark T, Mercer K, Wortham T, Anyanful A, et al. CSN-5, a component of the COP9 signalosome complex, regulates the levels of UNC-96 and UNC-98, two components of M-lines in Caenorhabditis elegans muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3608-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we found that CSN-5 functions in muscle cells to regulate UNC-98 and -96, two M-line proteins. ..
- Nomura K, Ono K, Ono S. CAS-1, a C. elegans cyclase-associated protein, is required for sarcomeric actin assembly in striated muscle. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4077-89 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic and biochemical evidence that cyclase-associated protein is a critical regulator of sarcomeric actin organization in striated muscle. ..
- Ono K, Parast M, Alberico C, Benian G, Ono S. Specific requirement for two ADF/cofilin isoforms in distinct actin-dependent processes in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2073-85 pubmed..These results suggest that the ADF/cofilin isoforms play distinct roles in specific aspects of actin reorganization in vivo. ..
- Mohri K, Ono K, Yu R, Yamashiro S, Ono S. Enhancement of actin-depolymerizing factor/cofilin-dependent actin disassembly by actin-interacting protein 1 is required for organized actin filament assembly in the Caenorhabditis elegans body wall muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2190-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the actin-regulating activity of AIP1 in cooperation with ADF/cofilin is essential for its in vivo function to regulate actin filament organization in muscle cells. ..
- Ono S, McGough A, Pope B, Tolbert V, Bui A, Pohl J, et al. The C-terminal tail of UNC-60B (actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin) is critical for maintaining its stable association with F-actin and is implicated in the second actin-binding site. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5952-8 pubmed..Helical reconstruction and structural modeling of UNC-60B-F-actin complex reveal how the C terminus of UNC-60B might be involved in one of the two actin-binding sites. ..
- Singson A, Mercer K, L Hernault S. The C. elegans spe-9 gene encodes a sperm transmembrane protein that contains EGF-like repeats and is required for fertilization. Cell. 1998;93:71-9 pubmed..These results suggest that SPE-9 functions in the specialized cell-cell interactions required for fertilization. ..
- Ono S, Ono K. Tropomyosin inhibits ADF/cofilin-dependent actin filament dynamics. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1065-76 pubmed..However, in an ADF/cofilin mutant background, suppression of CeTM did not worsen actin organization and worm motility. These results suggest that tropomyosin is a physiological inhibitor of ADF/cofilin-dependent actin dynamics. ..
- Mercer K, Flaherty D, Miller R, Qadota H, Tinley T, Moerman D, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-98, a C2H2 Zn finger protein, is a novel partner of UNC-97/PINCH in muscle adhesion complexes. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2492-507 pubmed..UNC-98 interacts with UNC-97, a C. elegans homolog of PINCH. We propose that UNC-98 is both a structural component of muscle focal adhesions and a nuclear protein that influences gene expression. ..
- Ono S. The Caenorhabditis elegans unc-78 gene encodes a homologue of actin-interacting protein 1 required for organized assembly of muscle actin filaments. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1313-9 pubmed..Similar Unc-78 phenotypes are observed in both embryonic and adult muscles. Thus, AIP1 is an important regulator of actin filament organization and localization of ADF/cofilin during development of myofibrils. ..
- Arduengo P, Appleberry O, Chuang P, L Hernault S. The presenilin protein family member SPE-4 localizes to an ER/Golgi derived organelle and is required for proper cytoplasmic partitioning during Caenorhabditis elegans spermatogenesis. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 24):3645-54 pubmed..These results suggest that wild-type SPE-4 is required for proper localization of macromolecules that are subject to asymmetric partitioning during spermatogenesis. ..
- Rowley M, Nichols M, Lyu X, Ando Kuri M, Rivera I, Hermetz K, et al. Evolutionarily Conserved Principles Predict 3D Chromatin Organization. Mol Cell. 2017;67:837-852.e7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that compartmental domains are responsible for domain structure in all eukaryotes, with CTCF playing an important role in domain formation in mammals. ..
- Mohri K, Vorobiev S, Fedorov A, Almo S, Ono S. Identification of functional residues on Caenorhabditis elegans actin-interacting protein 1 (UNC-78) for disassembly of actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31697-707 pubmed..These data support a model in which this conserved surface of AIP1 plays a direct role in enhancing fragmentation/depolymerization of ADF/cofilin-bound actin filaments but not in barbed end capping. ..
- Li T, Kelly W. A role for Set1/MLL-related components in epigenetic regulation of the Caenorhabditis elegans germ line. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001349 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that H3K4 methylation in the germline is regulated by a combination of Set1/MLL component-dependent and -independent modes of epigenetic establishment and maintenance. ..
- Ono K, Yamashiro S, Ono S. Essential role of ADF/cofilin for assembly of contractile actin networks in the C. elegans somatic gonad. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2662-70 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that an optimal level of actin-filament-severing activity of ADF/cofilin is required for assembly of actin networks in the somatic gonad. ..
- Ono K, Yu R, Mohri K, Ono S. Caenorhabditis elegans kettin, a large immunoglobulin-like repeat protein, binds to filamentous actin and provides mechanical stability to the contractile apparatuses in body wall muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2722-34 pubmed..These results suggest that kettin is an important regulator of myofibrillar organization and provides mechanical stability to the myofibrils during contraction. ..
- L Hernault S, Benian G, Emmons R. Genetic and molecular characterization of the Caenorhabditis elegans spermatogenesis-defective gene spe-17. Genetics. 1993;134:769-80 pubmed..We have sequenced two spe-17 cDNAs, and the deduced 142 amino acid protein sequence is highly charged and rich in serine and threonine, but shows no significant homology to any previously determined protein sequence. ..
- Miller R, Qadota H, Mercer K, Gernert K, Benian G. UNC-98 and UNC-96 interact with paramyosin to promote its incorporation into thick filaments of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1529-39 pubmed publisher..Paramyosin lacking the C-terminal UNC-96 binding region fails to localize throughout A-bands. We propose a model in which UNC-98 and -96 may act as chaperones to promote the incorporation of paramyosin into thick filaments. ..
- Stevenson T, Mercer K, Cox E, Szewczyk N, Conley C, HARDIN J, et al. unc-94 encodes a tropomodulin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:936-50 pubmed..In addition, UNC-94 is localized near muscle cell-to-cell boundaries. ..
- Ono S, Nomura K, Hitosugi S, Tu D, Lee J, Baillie D, et al. The two actin-interacting protein 1 genes have overlapping and essential function for embryonic development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2258-69 pubmed publisher..Thus our results suggest that enhancement of actin filament disassembly by ADF/cofilin and AIP1 proteins is critical for embryogenesis. ..
- Liu Z, Kanzawa N, Ono S. Calcium-sensitive activity and conformation of Caenorhabditis elegans gelsolin-like protein 1 are altered by mutations in the first gelsolin-like domain. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:34051-9 pubmed publisher..The structure of an inactive form of gelsolin shows that the equivalent acidic residues are in close contact with G3, which may maintain an inactive conformation of the gelsolin family. ..
- Mohri K, Ono S. Actin filament disassembling activity of Caenorhabditis elegans actin-interacting protein 1 (UNC-78) is dependent on filament binding by a specific ADF/cofilin isoform. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4107-18 pubmed..These results suggest that UNC-78 closely collaborates with UNC-60B to regulate actin dynamics in muscle cells. ..
- Qadota H, Blangy A, Xiong G, Benian G. The DH-PH region of the giant protein UNC-89 activates RHO-1 GTPase in Caenorhabditis elegans body wall muscle. J Mol Biol. 2008;383:747-52 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose a model in which the DH-PH region of UNC-89 activates RHO-1 GTPase for organization of myosin filaments in C. elegans muscle cells. ..
- Ferrara T, Flaherty D, Benian G. Titin/connectin-related proteins in C. elegans: a review and new findings. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:435-47 pubmed
- Li T, Kelly W. A role for WDR5 in TRA-1/Gli mediated transcriptional control of the sperm/oocyte switch in C. elegans. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:5567-81 pubmed publisher..elegans sex determination, and provide evidence that this important protein may operate independently of its established role in histone methyltransferase complexes. ..
- Qadota H, Mercer K, Miller R, Kaibuchi K, Benian G. Two LIM domain proteins and UNC-96 link UNC-97/pinch to myosin thick filaments in Caenorhabditis elegans muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4317-26 pubmed..In this study, we demonstrate another mechanism by which this linkage occurs: from UNC-97 through LIM-8 or LIM-9/UNC-96 to myosin. ..
- Gleason E, Lindsey W, Kroft T, Singson A, L hernault S. spe-10 encodes a DHHC-CRD zinc-finger membrane protein required for endoplasmic reticulum/Golgi membrane morphogenesis during Caenorhabditis elegans spermatogenesis. Genetics. 2006;172:145-58 pubmed..These results suggest that wild-type SPE-10 is required for the MO to properly deliver the FB to the C. elegans spermatid and the DHHC-CRD domain is essential for this function. ..