Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Publications519 found, 100 shown here
- Harris J, Cavallaro E, de Nóbrega A, Dos S Barrado J, Bopp C, Parsons M, et al. Field evaluation of crystal VC Rapid Dipstick test for cholera during a cholera outbreak in Guinea-Bissau. Trop Med Int Health. 2009;14:1117-21 pubmed publisher..Laboratory technicians in Bissau performed the test and interpreted results correctly using only simple written instructions. The VC test may be useful for cholera diagnosis in outbreak situations where laboratory capacity is limited. ..
- Leshnower B, Miller D, Fernandez F, Pickens A, Force S. Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery segmentectomy: a safe and effective procedure. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89:1571-6 pubmed publisher..This approach may be the ideal oncologic procedure for patients with small lung cancers (<2 cm) and (or) limited cardiopulmonary reserve and significant comorbidities. ..
- Hermstad A, Swan D, Kegler M, Barnette J, Glanz K. Individual and environmental correlates of dietary fat intake in rural communities: a structural equation model analysis. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:93-101 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the influence of individual and environmental factors on dietary fat intake differs for men and women, with the home environment playing a larger role for women in rural communities. ..
- Marks S, Magee E, Robison V. Patients diagnosed with tuberculosis at death or who died during therapy: association with the human immunodeficiency virus. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15:465-70 pubmed publisher..Race/ethnicity, country of birth and homelessness further increased the adjusted odds of death. Results show possible missed opportunities for TB diagnosis prior to death. ..
- Benard V, Saraiya M, Soman A, Roland K, Yabroff K, Miller J. Cancer screening practices among physicians in the national breast and cervical cancer early detection program. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011;20:1479-84 pubmed publisher..Although there may be differences in physician characteristics and practice settings, the beliefs and screening practices for both breast and cervical cancer are similar between program and nonprogram providers. ..
- Yan H, Sharma J, Weber C, Guyton R, Perez S, Thourani V. Elevated parathyroid hormone predicts mortality in dialysis patients undergoing valve surgery. Surgery. 2011;150:1095-101 pubmed publisher..Hyperparathyroidism should be investigated further as a possible modifiable risk factor for postoperative mortality in this high-risk patient cohort. ..
- Eke P, Dye B, Wei L, Thornton Evans G, Genco R. Prevalence of periodontitis in adults in the United States: 2009 and 2010. J Dent Res. 2012;91:914-20 pubmed..This survey has provided direct evidence for a high burden of periodontitis in the adult U.S. population. ..
- Nelson G, Aguon A, Valencia E, Oliva R, Guerrero M, Reyes R, et al. Epidemiology of a mumps outbreak in a highly vaccinated island population and use of a third dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine for outbreak control--Guam 2009 to 2010. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32:374-80 pubmed publisher..Despite high 2-dose measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine coverage, a large mumps outbreak occurred on the US Territory of Guam during 2009 to 2010, primarily in school-aged children...
- Wiatrek D, Morra M, Shaw B, Sharpe K, George R, Battaglia Seiler M, et al. Documenting the health insurance needs of cancer patients and providing scarce resolutions. J Cancer Educ. 2013;28:221-7 pubmed publisher..Six lessons that have been learned while initiating and managing this program are presented. ..
- Hung O, Keenan N, Fang J. Physicians' health habits are associated with lifestyle counseling for hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens. 2013;26:201-8 pubmed publisher..The probability of recommending all 5 JNC VII interventions was greater for physicians who were nonsmoking and who exercised at least 1 day a week. ..
- Ansa B, Goodman M, Ward K, Kono S, Owonikoko T, Higgins K, et al. Paranasal sinus squamous cell carcinoma incidence and survival based on Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results data, 1973 to 2009. Cancer. 2013;119:2602-10 pubmed publisher..Although there has been a decline in the proportion of patients presenting with advanced PNSSCC, the overall survival remained stable over time. ..
- Giustino G, Baber U, Aquino M, Sartori S, Stone G, Leon M, et al. Safety and Efficacy of New-Generation Drug-Eluting Stents in Women Undergoing Complex Percutaneous Coronary Artery Revascularization: From the WIN-DES Collaborative Patient-Level Pooled Analysis. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:674-84 pubmed publisher..Women undergoing CPCI remain at higher risk of adverse events. The long-term ischemic benefits of new-generation DES platforms are uniform among complex and non-complex percutaneous revascularization procedures in women. ..
- Dimopoulos M, Lonial S, White D, Moreau P, Palumbo A, San Miguel J, et al. Elotuzumab plus lenalidomide/dexamethasone for relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma: ELOQUENT-2 follow-up and post-hoc analyses on progression-free survival and tumour growth. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:896-905 pubmed publisher..Serum M-protein dynamic modelling showed slower tumour regrowth with ELd. Adverse events were comparable between arms. ELd provided a durable and clinically relevant improvement in efficacy, with minimal incremental toxicity. ..
- Brennan J, Thomas L, Cohen D, Shahian D, Wang A, Mack M, et al. Transcatheter Versus Surgical AorticÂ ValveÂ Replacement: Propensity-Matched Comparison. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:439-450 pubmed publisher..Among unselected intermediate- and high-risk patients, TAVR and SAVR resulted in similar ratesÂ ofÂ death, stroke, and DAOH to 1 year, but TAVR patients were more likely to be discharged home. ..
- Chen F, Wang H, Zhu J, Zhao R, Xue P, Zhang Q, et al. Camptothecin suppresses NRF2-ARE activity and sensitises hepatocellular carcinoma cells to anticancer drugs. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1495-1506 pubmed publisher..Camptothecin is a novel NRF2 inhibitor that may be repurposed in combination with other chemotherapeutics to enhance their efficacy in treating high NRF2-expressing cancers. ..
- Dietz V, Galazka A, van Loon F, Cochi S. Factors affecting the immunogenicity and potency of tetanus toxoid: implications for the elimination of neonatal and non-neonatal tetanus as public health problems. Bull World Health Organ. 1997;75:81-93 pubmed..Finally, freezing TT has been shown to decrease its potency, but its effect upon immunogenicity remains to be determined. ..
- Khetsuriani N, Imnadze P, Dekanosidze N. Diphtheria epidemic in the Republic of Georgia, 1993-1997. J Infect Dis. 2000;181 Suppl 1:S80-5 pubmed..By mid-1998, the overall diphtheria situation in Georgia appeared to have been controlled. Only 53 cases were reported from January to June 1998, representing a 64% decrease from the 148 cases during the corresponding period in 1997. ..
- Blalock A, McDaniel J, Farber E. Effect of employment on quality of life and psychological functioning in patients with HIV/AIDS. Psychosomatics. 2002;43:400-4 pubmed..However, with HIV illness severity statistically controlled, employed participants reported significantly higher overall quality of life...
- Cano M, Ponce de Leon G, Tippen S, Lindsley M, Warwick M, Hajjeh R. Blastomycosis in Missouri: epidemiology and risk factors for endemic disease. Epidemiol Infect. 2003;131:907-14 pubmed..However, heightened awareness of the disease and a better understanding of the risk factors are important and may lead to earlier diagnosis and start of treatment, possibly improving outcome. ..
- Steenland K. One agent, many diseases: exposure-response data and comparative risks of different outcomes following silica exposure. Am J Ind Med. 2005;48:16-23 pubmed..Perhaps surprisingly, kidney disease emerges as perhaps a higher risk than either mortality from silicosis or lung cancer, although the data are based on fewer studies. ..
- Musselman D, Somerset W, Guo Y, Manatunga A, Porter M, Penna S, et al. A double-blind, multicenter, parallel-group study of paroxetine, desipramine, or placebo in breast cancer patients (stages I, II, III, and IV) with major depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67:288-96 pubmed..Randomized, placebo-controlled trials of adequate power seeking to determine efficacy of antidepressants in the United States for the treatment of women with breast cancer and comorbid depression remain of paramount importance. ..
- Herring B, Pauly M. Incentive-compatible guaranteed renewable health insurance premiums. J Health Econ. 2006;25:395-417 pubmed..Actual premium paths exhibited by purchasers of individual insurance are close to the optimal renewable schedule we estimate. Finally, consumer utility associated with the feature is examined. ..
- Kyaw M, Lynfield R, Schaffner W, Craig A, Hadler J, Reingold A, et al. Effect of introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:1455-63 pubmed..There was an increase in infections caused by serotypes not included in the vaccine. ..
- Holloway K, Rouphael N, Wells J, King M, Blumberg H. Polymyxin B and doxycycline use in patients with multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections in the intensive care unit. Ann Pharmacother. 2006;40:1939-45 pubmed..Doxycycline monotherapy was used in a limited number of patients for the treatment of MDR-Ab; further evaluation of its efficacy in larger numbers of patients is warranted. ..
- Person B, Bartholomew L, Addiss D, van den Borne B. Disrupted social connectedness among Dominican women with chronic filarial lymphedema. Patient Educ Couns. 2007;68:279-86 pubmed
- Nassar A, Lawson D, Cotsonis G, Cohen C. Survivin and caspase-3 expression in breast cancer: correlation with prognostic parameters, proliferation, angiogenesis, and outcome. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2008;16:113-20 pubmed publisher..Survivin and caspase-3 expression correlate with poor prognostic parameters (higher histologic grade and high proliferation), but not with outcome, in breast carcinoma patients. ..
- Person B, Addiss D, Bartholomew L, Meijer C, Pou V, Gonzalvez G, et al. "Can it be that god does not remember me": a qualitative study on the psychological distress, suffering, and coping of Dominican women with chronic filarial lymphedema and elephantiasis of the leg. Health Care Women Int. 2008;29:349-65 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that management of psychological distress should be a significant component of lymphedema management programs in developing countries. ..
- Culler S, Simon A, Brown P, Kugelmass A, Reynolds M, Rask K. Sex differences in hospital risk-adjusted mortality rates for Medicare beneficiaries undergoing CABG surgery. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:2317-22; discussion 2323-5 pubmed publisher..68%) in tier 1 hospitals and greatest (2.67%) in tier 4 hospitals. The sex differential increases from top- to bottom-tier hospitals, suggesting female beneficiaries could benefit from having CABG performed at tier 1 hospitals. ..
- Seals R, Bartell S, Steenland K. Accumulation and clearance of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in current and former residents of an exposed community. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:119-24 pubmed publisher..Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is a perfluoroalkyl acid found in > 99% of Americans. Its health effects are unknown. Prior estimates of serum half-life range from 2.3 to 3.8 years...
- Arviso L, Johns M, Mathison C, Klein A. Long-term outcomes of injection laryngoplasty in patients with potentially recoverable vocal fold paralysis. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:2237-40 pubmed publisher..The majority of subjects with potentially recoverable UVFP recover vocal fold motion and/or adequate voice after IL without permanent intervention. ..
- Plantinga L, Johansen K, Schillinger D, Powe N. Lower socioeconomic status and disability among US adults with chronic kidney disease, 1999-2008. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E12 pubmed..Our findings suggest that people with CKD and limited education or lower income should be targeted for early intervention to limit disability and further loss of income, both of which could worsen outcomes in CKD. ..
- Yanni E, Naoum M, Odeh N, Han P, Coleman M, Burke H. The health profile and chronic diseases comorbidities of US-bound Iraqi refugees screened by the International Organization for Migration in Jordan: 2007-2009. J Immigr Minor Health. 2013;15:1-9 pubmed publisher..These results will help public health specialists develop policies to reduce morbidity and mortality among US-bound Iraqi refugees. ..
- Tangka F, Trogdon J, Nwaise I, Ekwueme D, Guy G, Orenstein D. State-level estimates of cancer-related absenteeism costs. J Occup Environ Med. 2013;55:1015-20 pubmed publisher..The results from this study suggest that lost productivity attributable to cancer is a substantial cost to employees and employers and contributes to estimates of the overall impact of cancer in a state population. ..
- Moreno C, Weiss P, Jarrett T, Roberts D, Mittal P, Votaw J. Patient Preferences Regarding Colorectal Cancer Screening: Test Features and Cost Willing to Pay Out of Pocket. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2016;45:189-92 pubmed publisher..Additionally, an out-of-pocket cost of <$200 would be preferable from the patient perspective. ..
- da Rocha Fernandes J, Ogurtsova K, Linnenkamp U, Guariguata L, Seuring T, Zhang P, et al. IDF Diabetes Atlas estimates of 2014 global health expenditures on diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;117:48-54 pubmed publisher..Diabetes prevention and effective management of diabetes should be a public health priority to reduce the financial burden. ..
- Zhang B, Pinsky B, Ananta J, Zhao S, Arulkumar S, Wan H, et al. Diagnosis of Zika virus infection on a nanotechnology platform. Nat Med. 2017;23:548-550 pubmed publisher..This assay could enable specific diagnosis of ZIKV infection over other flaviviral infections. ..
- Wysoki R, Majmudar B, Willis D. Granuloma inguinale (donovanosis) in women. J Reprod Med. 1988;33:709-13 pubmed..Granuloma inguinale is rare and difficult to diagnose, but with physician awareness, cytology and biopsy, it should not be missed...
- Watson J, Jones R, Gibbs K, Paul W. Dead crow reports and location of human West Nile virus cases, Chicago, 2002. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:938-40 pubmed..Retrospective spatial analysis demonstrated that age-adjusted human case rates were three times higher inside geographic areas with high early-season crow deaths than outside these areas. ..
- Feigelson H, Patel A, Teras L, Gansler T, Thun M, Calle E. Adult weight gain and histopathologic characteristics of breast cancer among postmenopausal women. Cancer. 2006;107:12-21 pubmed..Excess adiposity is an important contributor to breast cancer risk among postmenopausal women, regardless of histologic type, and especially for tumors of advanced stage and high grade. ..
- Chapman A, Murphy S, Demma L, Holman R, Curns A, McQuiston J, et al. Rocky mountain spotted fever in the United States, 1997-2002. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006;1078:154-5 pubmed
- Bowen A, Newman A, Estivariz C, Gilbertson N, Archer J, Srinivasan A, et al. Role of acid-suppressing medications during a sustained outbreak of Salmonella enteritidis infection in a long-term care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007;28:1202-5 pubmed..Among vulnerable populations, the risks and benefits of acid-suppressing medications should be considered carefully before use. ..
- Dare R, Fry A, Chittaganpitch M, Sawanpanyalert P, Olsen S, Erdman D. Human coronavirus infections in rural Thailand: a comprehensive study using real-time reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction assays. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:1321-8 pubmed..We sought to determine whether infections with human coronaviruses (HCoVs) 229E, OC43, HKU1, and NL63 are associated with pneumonia and to define the epidemiology of HCoV infection in rural Thailand...
- Arriola K, Perryman J, Doldren M, Warren C, Robinson D. Understanding the role of clergy in African American organ and tissue donation decision-making. Ethn Health. 2007;12:465-82 pubmed..African American clergy and religious leaders may play an important role towards improving willingness to donate among African American parishioners, but more education and advocacy is needed to prepare them for this role. ..
- Jemal A, Thun M, Ries L, Howe H, Weir H, Center M, et al. Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2005, featuring trends in lung cancer, tobacco use, and tobacco control. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1672-94 pubmed publisher..Although the decrease in overall cancer incidence and death rates is encouraging, large state and regional differences in lung cancer trends among women underscore the need to maintain and strengthen many state tobacco control programs. ..
- Norton D, Rahman M, Shane A, Hossain Z, Kulick R, Bhuiyan M, et al. Flocculant-disinfectant point-of-use water treatment for reducing arsenic exposure in rural Bangladesh. Int J Environ Health Res. 2009;19:17-29 pubmed publisher..The lesser reduction in urinary arsenic compared to water arsenic and the health consequences of this reduction require further research. ..
- Ford E. Trends in the risk for coronary heart disease among adults with diagnosed diabetes in the U.S.: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2008. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1337-43 pubmed publisher..The estimated 10-year risk for CHD among adults with diabetes has improved significantly from 1999-2000 to 2007-2008. Sustained efforts in improving risk factors should further benefit the cardiovascular health of people with diabetes. ..
- Patel S, Kneuertz P, Delgado M, Kooby D, Staley C, El Rayes B, et al. Clinically relevant biomarkers to select patients for targeted inhibitor therapy after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:3384-90 pubmed publisher..This finding may help to select patients who would benefit from targeted inhibitor therapy in the adjuvant setting. ..
- Stulting R, Sugar A, Beck R, Belin M, Dontchev M, Feder R, et al. Effect of donor and recipient factors on corneal graft rejection. Cornea. 2012;31:1141-7 pubmed..Female recipients were more likely to have a rejection event than male recipients. Graft rejection was not associated with donor age. ..
- Dahlgren F, Holman R, Paddock C, Callinan L, McQuiston J. Fatal Rocky Mountain spotted fever in the United States, 1999-2007. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:713-9 pubmed publisher..4). Delaying treatment of RMSF was also associated with increased deaths. These results may indicate a gap between recommendations and practice. ..
- Yoder J, Gargano J, Wallace R, Beach M. Giardiasis surveillance--United States, 2009-2010. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012;61:13-23 pubmed
- Ritter J, Muehlenbachs A, Blau D, Paddock C, Shieh W, Drew C, et al. Exserohilum infections associated with contaminated steroid injections: a clinicopathologic review of 40 cases. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:881-92 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to characterize Exserohilum and investigate the potential effects of underlying host factors and steroid administration on the pathogenesis of infection. ..
- Anderson L, Edwards V, Pearson W, Talley R, McGuire L, Andresen E. Adult caregivers in the United States: characteristics and differences in well-being, by caregiver age and caregiving status. Prev Chronic Dis. 2013;10:E135 pubmed publisher..Understanding the characteristics of caregivers can help enhance strategies that support their role in providing long-term care. ..
- Chew E, Clemons T, SanGiovanni J, Danis R, Ferris F, Elman M, et al. Secondary analyses of the effects of lutein/zeaxanthin on age-related macular degeneration progression: AREDS2 report No. 3. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:142-9 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00345176. ..
- Looker A, Eberhardt M, Saydah S. Diabetes and fracture risk in older U.S. adults. Bone. 2016;82:9-15 pubmed publisher..There were insufficient fracture cases to examine detailed diabetes status in NHB. The diabetes-fracture relationship was stronger in MA and NHB. Pre-diabetes was not significantly associated with higher fracture risk, however. ..
- Keating J, Okusanya O, De Jesus E, Judy R, Jiang J, Deshpande C, et al. Intraoperative Molecular Imaging of Lung Adenocarcinoma Can Identify Residual Tumor Cells at the Surgical Margins. Mol Imaging Biol. 2016;18:209-18 pubmed publisher..05). The fluorescent probe visually enhanced all human tumors with a mean TBR of 3.5. Molecular imaging is an important adjunct to traditional inspection to identify surgical margins after tumor resection. ..
- Bailey R, Fulgoni V, Taylor C, Pfeiffer C, Thuppal S, McCabe G, et al. Correspondence of folate dietary intake and biomarker data. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1336-1343 pubmed publisher..The use of dietary data for rank order comparisons or to estimate the potential for dietary excess is likely more reliable. ..
- McGuinn L, Ward Caviness C, Neas L, Schneider A, Di Q, Chudnovsky A, et al. Fine particulate matter and cardiovascular disease: Comparison of assessment methods for long-term exposure. Environ Res. 2017;159:16-23 pubmed publisher..Long-term air pollution exposure was associated with coronary artery disease for both modeled and monitored data. ..
- Boscarino J, Moorman A, Rupp L, Zhou Y, Lu M, Teshale E, et al. Comparison of ICD-9 Codes for Depression and Alcohol Misuse to Survey Instruments Suggests These Codes Should Be Used with Caution. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2704-2712 pubmed publisher..ICD-9 codes were limited in predicting current depression and alcohol misuse, suggesting that caution should be exercised when using ICD-9 codes to assess depression or alcohol misuse among CHC patients. ..
- Gordon S, Oshiro L, Jarvis W, Donenfeld D, Ho M, Taylor F, et al. Foodborne Snow Mountain agent gastroenteritis with secondary person-to-person spread in a retirement community. Am J Epidemiol. 1990;131:702-10 pubmed..This report of an outbreak of Snow Mountain agent gastroenteritis in an extended-care facility documents that these difficult-to-identify 27-nm viruses can cause outbreaks in inpatient settings...
- Wells R, Sosa Estani S, Yadon Z, Enria D, Padula P, Pini N, et al. An unusual hantavirus outbreak in southern Argentina: person-to-person transmission? Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome Study Group for Patagonia. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:171-4 pubmed..Person-to-person transmission has not been reported; however, in the outbreak of 20 cases reported here, epidemiologic evidence strongly suggests this route of transmission. ..
- Olsen S, Bishop R, Brenner F, Roels T, Bean N, Tauxe R, et al. The changing epidemiology of salmonella: trends in serotypes isolated from humans in the United States, 1987-1997. J Infect Dis. 2001;183:753-61 pubmed..Additional educational efforts are needed to control the emergence of reptile-associated salmonellosis...
- Hajjeh R, Pappas P, Henderson H, Lancaster D, Bamberger D, Skahan K, et al. Multicenter case-control study of risk factors for histoplasmosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:1215-20 pubmed
- Kilbourne E. Heat-related illness: current status of prevention efforts. Am J Prev Med. 2002;22:328-9 pubmed
- Khetsuriani N, Holman R, Anderson L. Burden of encephalitis-associated hospitalizations in the United States, 1988-1997. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:175-82 pubmed..The average cost of an encephalitis-associated hospitalization, as determined by the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project for 1997, was $28,151, for an annual national cost of hospitalization of $650 million...
- Tusa R. Dizziness. Med Clin North Am. 2003;87:609-41, vii pubmed..Virtually all causes of dizziness can be treated with medication, diet, or physical therapy. This article discusses the most common causes of dizziness and management. Case examples are used extensively...
- Sivapalasingam S, Barrett E, Kimura A, Van Duyne S, De Witt W, Ying M, et al. A multistate outbreak of Salmonella enterica Serotype Newport infection linked to mango consumption: impact of water-dip disinfestation technology. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:1585-90 pubmed..PFGE was critical to the timely recognition of this nationwide outbreak. This outbreak highlights the potential global health impact of foodborne diseases and newly implemented food processes. ..
- Blanton J, Bowden N, Eidson M, Wyatt J, Hanlon C. Rabies postexposure prophylaxis, New York, 1995-2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1921-7 pubmed..Bats accounted for 30% of exposures, more than any other group of animals; consequently, bats have replaced raccoons as the leading rabies exposure source to humans in this area...
- Hamel M, Poe A, Bloland P, McCollum A, Zhou Z, Shi Y, et al. Dihydrofolate reductase I164L mutations in Plasmodium falciparum isolates: clinical outcome of 14 Kenyan adults infected with parasites harbouring the I164L mutation. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008;102:338-45 pubmed publisher..Surveillance to monitor spread of I164L is critical, especially among children and pregnant women, who are potentially a source for I164L amplification. ..
- Berg E, Moore C. Office-based sclerotherapy for benign parotid lymphoepithelial cysts in the HIV-positive patient. Laryngoscope. 2009;119:868-70 pubmed publisher..To determine the efficacy of sodium morrhuate injection therapy in the control of benign lymphoepithelial cysts of the parotid gland...
- Liu T, Zhou J, Yoshida E, Woodhouse S, Schiff P, Wang T, et al. Quantitative ultrasonic evaluation of radiation-induced late tissue toxicity: pilot study of breast cancer radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:811-20 pubmed publisher..This imaging tool will become increasingly valuable as we continue to improve radiation therapy technique. ..
- Blair J, McNaghten A, Frazier E, Skarbinski J, Huang P, Heffelfinger J. Clinical and behavioral characteristics of adults receiving medical care for HIV infection --- Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2007. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011;60:1-20 pubmed
- Soeters H, Von Gottberg A, Cohen C, Quan V, Klugman K. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole prophylaxis and antibiotic nonsusceptibility in invasive pneumococcal disease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:1602-5 pubmed publisher..TMP-SMX nonsusceptibility was associated with nonsusceptibility to penicillin, erythromycin, and rifampin and multidrug resistance. This study informs empirical treatment of suspected IPD in patients with a history of TMP-SMX use. ..
- Mali S, Kachur S, Arguin P. Malaria surveillance--United States, 2010. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012;61:1-17 pubmed..Malaria treatment recommendations can be obtained online (http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/diagnosis_treatment) or by calling the Malaria Hotline (770-488-7788 or toll-free at 855-856-4713). ..
- Pearson W, Ovalle F, Faul M, Sasser S. A review of traumatic brain injury trauma center visits meeting physiologic criteria from The American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Field Triage Guidelines. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16:323-8 pubmed publisher
- Tierney E, Thurman D, Beckles G, Cadwell B. Association of statin use with peripheral neuropathy in the U.S. population 40 years of age or older. J Diabetes. 2013;5:207-15 pubmed publisher..In the present cross-sectional study, we found a modest association between peripheral neuropathy and statin use. Prospective studies are required to determine the causal direction. ..
- Neblett Fanfair R, Benedict K, Bos J, Bennett S, Lo Y, Adebanjo T, et al. Necrotizing cutaneous mucormycosis after a tornado in Joplin, Missouri, in 2011. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:2214-25 pubmed publisher..Mucormycosis is a fungal infection caused by environmentally acquired molds. We investigated a cluster of cases of cutaneous mucormycosis among persons injured during the May 22, 2011, tornado in Joplin, Missouri...
- Ichiho H, Anson R, KELLER E, Lippwe K, Aitaoto N. An assessment of non-communicable diseases, diabetes, and related risk factors in the Federated States of Micronesia, State of Pohnpei: a systems perspective. Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2013;72:49-56 pubmed..Based on some of the findings, priority issues and problems that need to be addressed for the administrative and clinical systems are identified. ..
- Jim J, Dillavou E, Upchurch G, Osborne N, Kenwood C, Siami F, et al. Gender-specific 30-day outcomes after carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting in the Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Registry. J Vasc Surg. 2014;59:742-8 pubmed publisher..In this large, real-world analysis, women and men demonstrated similar results after CEA or CAS. These data suggest that, contrary to previous reports, women do not have a higher risk of adverse events after carotid revascularization. ..
- Atherton P, Watkins Bruner D, Gotay C, Moinpour C, Satele D, Winter K, et al. The Complementary Nature of Patient-Reported Outcomes and Adverse Event Reporting in Cooperative Group Oncology Clinical Trials: A Pooled Analysis (NCCTG N0591). J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;50:470-9.e9 pubmed publisher..11 Symptom Distress Scale, and -0.51 Functional Living Index-Cancer. These results support previous work and an a priori hypothesis that AEs and PROs measure differing aspects of the disease experience and are complementary. ..