Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Publications622 found, 100 shown here
- Methodius Ngwodo W, Burkett A, Kochupura P, Wellons E, Fuhrman G, Rosenthal D. The role of CT angiography in the diagnosis of blunt traumatic thoracic aortic disruption and unsuspected carotid artery injury. Am Surg. 2008;74:580-5; discussion 585-6 pubmed..Furthermore, CTA should include arch and cervical views to detect an unsuspected, concomitant carotid artery injury...
- Abshire T, Kenet G. Safety update on the use of recombinant factor VIIa and the treatment of congenital and acquired deficiency of factor VIII or IX with inhibitors. Haemophilia. 2008;14:898-902 pubmed publisher..However, use of rFVIIa for off-label indications should continue to be monitored closely via clinical trials and carefully designed registries. ..
- Kapella B, Anuwatnonthakate A, Komsakorn S, Moolphate S, Charusuntonsri P, Limsomboon P, et al. Directly observed treatment is associated with reduced default among foreign tuberculosis patients in Thailand. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:232-7 pubmed..99, 95%CI 1.03-3.85). In non-Thai TB patients, DOT was the only modifiable factor associated with default. Using DOT may help improve TB treatment outcomes in non-Thai TB patients. ..
- Black S, Eskola J, Siegrist C, Halsey N, MacDonald N, Law B, et al. Importance of background rates of disease in assessment of vaccine safety during mass immunisation with pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccines. Lancet. 2009;374:2115-2122 pubmed publisher..3 cases of optic neuritis per 10 million population would be expected within 6 weeks of vaccination. 397 per 1 million vaccinated pregnant women would be predicted to have a spontaneous abortion within 1 day of vaccination. ..
- Basile K, Hall J. Intimate partner violence perpetration by court-ordered men: distinctions and intersections among physical violence, sexual violence, psychological abuse, and stalking. J Interpers Violence. 2011;26:230-53 pubmed publisher..Future studies should determine whether there are distinct risk factors associated with each of the four types of IPV perpetration. ..
- Rasberry C, Lee S, Robin L, Laris B, Russell L, Coyle K, et al. The association between school-based physical activity, including physical education, and academic performance: a systematic review of the literature. Prev Med. 2011;52 Suppl 1:S10-20 pubmed publisher..Results have important implications for both policy and schools. ..
- Bosserman E, Helms D, Mosure D, Secor W, Workowski K. Utility of antimicrobial susceptibility testing in Trichomonas vaginalis-infected women with clinical treatment failure. Sex Transm Dis. 2011;38:983-7 pubmed publisher..The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides drug susceptibility testing and guidance for treatment failures but the efficacy of the alternate recommendations has not been assessed...
- Macciocchi S, Seel R, Warshowsky A, Thompson N, Barlow K. Co-occurring traumatic brain injury and acute spinal cord injury rehabilitation outcomes. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012;93:1788-94 pubmed publisher..Research with larger samples is required to determine whether mild and moderate TBI impact acute rehabilitation motor outcomes and LOS. ..
- Salama C, Morris M, Armistead L, Koenig L, Demas P, Ferdon C, et al. Depressive and conduct disorder symptoms in youth living with HIV: the independent and interactive roles of coping and neuropsychological functioning. AIDS Care. 2013;25:160-8 pubmed publisher..Results highlight the importance of including neuropsychological assessment in the evaluation of HIV-positive youth, particularly those with emotional or behavioral problems. ..
- Juliao P, Maslanka S, Dykes J, Gaul L, Bagdure S, Granzow Kibiger L, et al. National outbreak of type a foodborne botulism associated with a widely distributed commercially canned hot dog chili sauce. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:376-82 pubmed publisher..Sharing of epidemiologic and laboratory findings allowed for the rapid identification of implicated food items and swift removal of potentially deadly products from the market by US food regulatory authorities. ..
- Neblett Fanfair R, Benedict K, Bos J, Bennett S, Lo Y, Adebanjo T, et al. Necrotizing cutaneous mucormycosis after a tornado in Joplin, Missouri, in 2011. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:2214-25 pubmed publisher..Mucormycosis is a fungal infection caused by environmentally acquired molds. We investigated a cluster of cases of cutaneous mucormycosis among persons injured during the May 22, 2011, tornado in Joplin, Missouri...
- O Rourke D, Chen P, Gaspard N, Foreman B, McClain L, Karakis I, et al. Response Rates to Anticonvulsant Trials in Patients with Triphasic-Wave EEG Patterns of Uncertain Significance. Neurocrit Care. 2016;24:233-9 pubmed publisher..The more than twofold higher response rate to NSAEDs suggests that this strategy may be preferable to BZDs. Further prospective investigation is warranted. ..
- Rooks C, Ibeanu I, Shah A, Pimple P, Murrah N, Shallenberger L, et al. Young women post-MI have higher plasma concentrations of interleukin-6 before and after stress testing. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;51:92-8 pubmed publisher..Sustained concentrations of inflammation in young women, not their response to stress, may contribute to their adverse outcomes post-MI. ..
- Paulin H, Nshala A, Kalinga A, Mwingira U, Wiegand R, Cama V, et al. Evaluation of Onchocerciasis Transmission in Tanzania: Preliminary Rapid Field Results in the Tukuyu Focus, 2015. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:673-676 pubmed publisher..The specificity of the RDT, which is 97-98%, may result in the identification of a number of false positives that would exceed the current stop MDA threshold. ..
- Wells R, Sosa Estani S, Yadon Z, Enria D, Padula P, Pini N, et al. An unusual hantavirus outbreak in southern Argentina: person-to-person transmission? Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome Study Group for Patagonia. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:171-4 pubmed..Person-to-person transmission has not been reported; however, in the outbreak of 20 cases reported here, epidemiologic evidence strongly suggests this route of transmission. ..
- Westen D, Shedler J, Durrett C, Glass S, Martens A. Personality diagnoses in adolescence: DSM-IV axis II diagnoses and an empirically derived alternative. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:952-66 pubmed..Data from samples of adolescents may prove useful in developing an empirically and clinically grounded classification of personality pathology in adolescents. ..
- Schneider E. Tuberculosis among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1993-2002. Am J Public Health. 2005;95:873-80 pubmed..TB continues to be a significant health problem for the AIAN population. Vigilance and collaboration among local, state, federal, AIAN, and tribal TB control programs are essential to TB elimination among the AIAN population. ..
- Needham L, Ozkaynak H, Whyatt R, Barr D, Wang R, Naeher L, et al. Exposure assessment in the National Children's Study: introduction. Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:1076-82 pubmed..Criteria for the analytical method of choice are discussed with particular emphasis on the need for long-term quality control and quality assurance measures...
- Lowrance D, Makombe S, Harries A, Yu J, Aberle Grasse J, Eiger O, et al. Lower early mortality rates among patients receiving antiretroviral treatment at clinics offering cotrimoxazole prophylaxis in Malawi. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;46:56-61 pubmed..This additional intervention may have the potential to improve the lives of patients on ART, because CTX is readily available and relatively inexpensive and can, in principle, be easily introduced into ART delivery programs. ..
- Johnson A, Moore Z, Edelson P, Kinnane L, Davies M, Shay D, et al. Household responses to school closure resulting from outbreak of influenza B, North Carolina. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1024-30 pubmed publisher..Pandemic planning guidance should address the potential for transmission in public areas during school closure. ..
- Hall H, Song R, Rhodes P, Prejean J, An Q, Lee L, et al. Estimation of HIV incidence in the United States. JAMA. 2008;300:520-9 pubmed publisher..New HIV infections in the United States remain concentrated among men who have sex with men and among black individuals. ..
- Khazai N, Judd S, Jeng L, Wolfenden L, Stecenko A, Ziegler T, et al. Treatment and prevention of vitamin D insufficiency in cystic fibrosis patients: comparative efficacy of ergocalciferol, cholecalciferol, and UV light. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:2037-43 pubmed publisher..oil-based, respectively. UV therapy did not alter vitamin D status, possibly due to poor adherence to UV therapy. ..
- Lorick S, Fishbein D, Weintraub E, Wortley P, Lee G, Zhou F, et al. Uptake of meningococcal conjugate vaccine among adolescents in large managed care organizations, United States, 2005: demand, supply and seasonality. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:175 pubmed publisher..The increase in summer-time vaccinations and vaccination of non-targeted adolescents coupled with supply limitations likely contributed to the reported shortages of MCV4 in 2005. ..
- Boyd A, Won K, McClintock S, Donovan C, Laney S, Williams S, et al. A community-based study of factors associated with continuing transmission of lymphatic filariasis in Leogane, Haiti. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e640 pubmed publisher..Thus, continuing transmission of LF seems to be linked to rates of systematic noncompliance. ..
- Christensen K, Maisonet M, Rubin C, Flanders W, Drews Botsch C, Dominguez C, et al. Characterization of the correlation between ages at entry into breast and pubic hair development. Ann Epidemiol. 2010;20:405-8 pubmed publisher..The timing of breast and of pubic hair development is moderately correlated and remain so when it is stratified by characteristics associated with puberty. ..
- Ramakrishnan U, Stein A, Parra Cabrera S, Wang M, Imhoff Kunsch B, Juárez Márquez S, et al. Effects of docosahexaenoic acid supplementation during pregnancy on gestational age and size at birth: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in Mexico. Food Nutr Bull. 2010;31:S108-16 pubmed..Prenatal DHA supplementation of primigravid women may result in increased birth size in a population where dietary DHA intakes are very low. Benefits of the intervention on infant health and neurodevelopment are under study. ..
- Spaulding A, Seals R, McCallum V, Perez S, Brzozowski A, Steenland N. Prisoner survival inside and outside of the institution: implications for health-care planning. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;173:479-87 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the low mortality inside prisons can be explained by the rarity of deaths unlikely to occur in the context of incarceration and compassionate releases of moribund patients. ..
- Tone E, Goulding S, Compton M. Associations among perceptual anomalies, social anxiety, and paranoia in a college student sample. Psychiatry Res. 2011;188:258-63 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that perceptual aberration and anxiety may contribute to normal-range paranoid ideation in an additive rather than an interactive manner. ..
- Sterling K, Mermelstein R. Examining hookah smoking among a cohort of adolescent ever smokers. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13:1202-9 pubmed publisher..We examined hookah use and its correlates among a sample of adolescents who have ever smoked and may be considered high risk for hookah use...
- McBride S, Rogers W, Fisk A. Understanding the effect of workload on automation use for younger and older adults. Hum Factors. 2011;53:672-86 pubmed..The ability to identify automation errors varies across individuals, thereby necessitating training. ..
- Cramer R, Leichliter J, STENGER M, Loosier P, Slive L. The legal aspects of expedited partner therapy practice: do state laws and policies really matter?. Sex Transm Dis. 2013;40:657-62 pubmed publisher..Policy-related findings were similar in adjusted analyses. Expedited partner therapy laws and policies were associated with higher reports of receipt of EPT among interviewed gonorrhea cases. ..
- Kennedy S, Sharapova S, Beasley D, Hsia J. Cigarette Smoking Among Inmates by Race/Ethnicity: Impact of Excluding African American Young Adult Men From National Prevalence Estimates. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016;18 Suppl 1:S73-8 pubmed publisher..Increasing access to smoking cessation support among inmates may reduce smoking prevalence among disproportionately incarcerated segments of the population. ..
- Gass K, Sime H, Mwingira U, Nshala A, Chikawe M, Pelletreau S, et al. The rationale and cost-effectiveness of a confirmatory mapping tool for lymphatic filariasis: Examples from Ethiopia and Tanzania. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005944 pubmed publisher..By avoiding unnecessary MDA in 52 districts, the confirmatory mapping strategy is estimated to have saved a total of $9,293,219...
- Dunn A, Abshire T. Current issues in prophylactic therapy for persons with hemophilia. Acta Haematol. 2006;115:162-71 pubmed..Individualized treatment is recommended. Collaborative efforts are needed to improve outcomes for all persons with hemophilia. ..
- Sprigle S, Maurer C, Holowka M. Development of valid and reliable measures of postural stability. J Spinal Cord Med. 2007;30:40-9 pubmed..Researchers interested in studying postural control and stability during functional tasks should consider using uncompensated reach measures. ..
- Karem K, Reynolds M, Hughes C, Braden Z, Nigam P, Crotty S, et al. Monkeypox-induced immunity and failure of childhood smallpox vaccination to provide complete protection. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:1318-27 pubmed..Immune markers provided evidence of asymptomatic infections in some vaccinated, as well as unvaccinated, individuals. ..
- Gold B, Gunasekaran T, Tolia V, Wetzler G, Conter H, Traxler B, et al. Safety and symptom improvement with esomeprazole in adolescents with gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;45:520-9 pubmed..A secondary aim was to assess changes in GERD symptoms after esomeprazole therapy...
- Phares C, Lynfield R, Farley M, Mohle Boetani J, Harrison L, Petit S, et al. Epidemiology of invasive group B streptococcal disease in the United States, 1999-2005. JAMA. 2008;299:2056-65 pubmed publisher..This reduction coincided with the release of revised disease prevention guidelines in 2002. However, the disease burden in adults is substantial and increased significantly during the study period. ..
- Winthrop K, Nyendak M, Calvet H, Oh P, Lo M, Swarbrick G, et al. Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3:1357-63 pubmed publisher..04). Positive IFN-gamma assay results were more closely associated with recent TB exposure than were positive TST results. QFT-G and ELISPOT might offer a better method for detecting TB infection in ESRD patients. ..
- McGuire L, Okoro C, Goins R, Anderson L. Characteristics of American Indian and Alaska native adult caregivers, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2000. Ethn Dis. 2008;18:477-82 pubmed..5% vs 25.2%). Family caregivers provide a valuable service in the United States, particularly to chronically ill or disabled older adults. National, state, and local surveys should regularly collect information on caregiving. ..
- Sullivan P, Salazar L, Buchbinder S, Sanchez T. Estimating the proportion of HIV transmissions from main sex partners among men who have sex with men in five US cities. AIDS. 2009;23:1153-62 pubmed publisher..HIV prevention efforts should take into account the risks of HIV transmissions in male partnerships, and couples-based HIV prevention interventions for MSM should be given high priority in the US HIV prevention research portfolio. ..
- Bilukha O, Brennan M, Anderson M. The lasting legacy of war: epidemiology of injuries from landmines and unexploded ordnance in Afghanistan, 2002-2006. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2008;23:493-9 pubmed
- Patterson B, Truxillo L, Wasilewski Masker K, Mertens A, Meacham L. Adrenal function testing in pediatric cancer survivors. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009;53:1302-7 pubmed publisher..We recommend use of LDCT, not 8 a.m. serum cortisol to screen patients who received >30 Gy of radiotherapy and those with other central endocrinopathies. ..
- Fatima N, Toscano M, Hunter S, Cohen C. Controversial role of Epstein-Barr virus in multiple sclerosis. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2011;19:246-52 pubmed publisher..The negative results of IHC and ISH in our study sharply contrast to those previously mentioned by Serafini et al, 2007 and suggest that EBV is not directly related to MS as an etiology. ..
- Hochberg N, Blackburn B, Park S, Sejvar J, Effler P, Herwaldt B. Eosinophilic meningitis attributable to Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection in Hawaii: clinical characteristics and potential exposures. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2011;85:685-90 pubmed publisher..001) and to see snails/slugs on produce (56% versus 0%, P = 0.03). Residents and travelers should be aware of the potential risks of eating uncooked produce in Hawaii, especially if it is from the island of Hawaii and locally grown. ..
- Pfeiffer C, Hughes J, Lacher D, Bailey R, Berry R, Zhang M, et al. Estimation of trends in serum and RBC folate in the U.S. population from pre- to postfortification using assay-adjusted data from the NHANES 1988-2010. J Nutr. 2012;142:886-93 pubmed publisher..The MBA-equivalent pre- and postfortification reference concentrations will inform countries that plan folic acid fortification or that need to evaluate its impact. ..
- Hamilton T, Markiewicz M, Jarman J, Bell R. Dental outcomes in computer-assisted orthognathic surgery. J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:e223-6 pubmed publisher..001). Mean postoperative absolute overjet was 1.3 mm. In subjects with dentofacial deformities, computer-aided orthognathic surgery was effective in reducing incisal overjet and establishing class I occlusion...
- Ko J, Farr S, Dietz P, Robbins C. Depression and treatment among U.S. pregnant and nonpregnant women of reproductive age, 2005-2009. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012;21:830-6 pubmed publisher..8%), opposition to treatment (41.7%), and stigma (26.3%). Pregnant women with MDE were no more likely than nonpregnant women to be diagnosed with or treated for their depression. ..
- Morgan O, Chittaganpitch M, Clague B, Chantra S, Sanasuttipun W, Prapasiri P, et al. Hospitalization due to human parainfluenza virus-associated lower respiratory tract illness in rural Thailand. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2013;7:280-5 pubmed publisher..In Thailand, HPIV caused substantial illnesses requiring hospitalization in young children. ..
- Mettee Zarecki S, Bennett S, Hall J, Yaeger J, Lujan K, Adams Cameron M, et al. US outbreak of human Salmonella infections associated with aquatic frogs, 2008-2011. Pediatrics. 2013;131:724-31 pubmed publisher..Although amphibians are known Salmonella carriers, no such outbreaks have been reported. We investigated a nationwide outbreak of human Salmonella Typhimurium infections occurring predominantly among children from 2008 to 2011...
- Hall H, Frazier E, Rhodes P, Holtgrave D, Furlow Parmley C, Tang T, et al. Differences in human immunodeficiency virus care and treatment among subpopulations in the United States. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:1337-44 pubmed publisher..Ensuring that people stay in care and receive treatment will increase the proportion of HIV-infected individuals who achieve and maintain a suppressed viral load. ..
- McCarthy N, Weintraub E, Vellozzi C, Duffy J, Gee J, Donahue J, et al. Mortality rates and cause-of-death patterns in a vaccinated population. Am J Prev Med. 2013;45:91-97 pubmed publisher..The VSD mortality rate is lower than that in the general U.S. population, and the causes of death are similar. ..
- Wethington H, Pan L, Sherry B. The association of screen time, television in the bedroom, and obesity among school-aged youth: 2007 National Survey of Children's Health. J Sch Health. 2013;83:573-81 pubmed publisher..5, 95% CI 1.9, 3.2). Given the similar risk factors for excess screen time and having a TV in the bedroom, a public health challenge exists to design interventions to reduce screen time among school-aged youth. ..
- Juarez S, NuÃ±ez A, Aranda M, Mojica D, Kim A, Parekh B. Field Evaluation of Four Rapid Tests for Diagnosis of HIV Infection in Panama. J Clin Microbiol. 2016;54:1127-9 pubmed publisher..8%. On the basis of these data, we determined that these rapid tests can be used in an appropriate algorithm to diagnose HIV infection and are suitable for use in testing and counseling settings in Panama. ..
- Ekwueme D, Trogdon J, Khavjou O, Guy G. Productivity Costs Associated With Breast Cancer Among Survivors Aged 18-44 Years. Am J Prev Med. 2016;50:286-94 pubmed publisher..The results underscore the importance of continued efforts by the public health community to promote and support the unique needs of younger breast cancer survivors. ..
- Liu F, Veguilla V, Gross F, Gillis E, Rowe T, Xu X, et al. Effect of Priming With Seasonal Influenza A(H3N2) Virus on the Prevalence of Cross-Reactive Hemagglutination-Inhibition Antibodies to Swine-Origin A(H3N2) Variants. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S539-S547 pubmed publisher..We estimated the levels of serologic cross-reactivity among humans primed with seasonal influenza A(H3N2) (sH3N2), using postinfection ferret antisera. We also explored age-related HI antibody responses to 2012-2013 H3N2v viruses...
- Anderson A, Garrett V, Sobel J, Monroe S, Fankhauser R, Schwab K, et al. Multistate outbreak of Norwalk-like virus gastroenteritis associated with a common caterer. Am J Epidemiol. 2001;154:1013-9 pubmed
- Dell M, Kinlaw K. Theory can be relevant: an overview of bioethics for the practicing child and adolescent psychiatrist. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2008;17:1-19, vii pubmed
- Anda R, Chapman D, Felitti V, Edwards V, Williamson D, Croft J, et al. Adverse childhood experiences and risk of paternity in teen pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;100:37-45 pubmed..Efforts to prevent teen pregnancy will likely benefit from preventing adverse childhood experiences and their associated effects on male behaviors that might mediate the increased risk of teen pregnancy. ..
- Risjord M, Greenberg J. When IRBs disagree: waiving parental consent for sexual health research on adolescents. IRB. 2002;24:8-14 pubmed
- Lanski S, Greenwald M, Perkins A, Simon H. Herbal therapy use in a pediatric emergency department population: expect the unexpected. Pediatrics. 2003;111:981-5 pubmed
- Pealer L, Marfin A, Petersen L, Lanciotti R, Page P, Stramer S, et al. Transmission of West Nile virus through blood transfusion in the United States in 2002. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:1236-45 pubmed..Transfused red cells, platelets, and fresh-frozen plasma can transmit West Nile virus. Screening of potential donors with the use of nucleic acid-based assays for West Nile virus may reduce this risk. ..
- Schrag S, Arnold K, Mohle Boetani J, Lynfield R, Zell E, Stefonek K, et al. Prenatal screening for infectious diseases and opportunities for prevention. Obstet Gynecol. 2003;102:753-60 pubmed
- Shepard C, Daneshvar M, Kaiser R, Ashford D, Lonsway D, Patel J, et al. Bordetella holmesii bacteremia: a newly recognized clinical entity among asplenic patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:799-804 pubmed..There were no deaths. Our findings support evidence that B. holmesii may be a true pathogen associated with bacteremia among asplenic patients...
- Bellini W, Rota J, Lowe L, Katz R, Dyken P, Zaki S, et al. Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis: more cases of this fatal disease are prevented by measles immunization than was previously recognized. J Infect Dis. 2005;192:1686-93 pubmed..The estimated risk of developing SSPE was 10-fold higher than the previous estimate reported for the United States in 1982. Vaccination against measles prevents more cases of SSPE than was originally estimated. ..
- Chaves S, Zhang J, Civen R, Watson B, Carbajal T, Perella D, et al. Varicella disease among vaccinated persons: clinical and epidemiological characteristics, 1997-2005. J Infect Dis. 2008;197 Suppl 2:S127-31 pubmed publisher..Continued surveillance of the risk and characteristics of breakthrough disease will be needed, to monitor the effect of the new 2-dose vaccine recommendation for children. ..
- Winchell J, Thurman K, Mitchell S, Thacker W, Fields B. Evaluation of three real-time PCR assays for detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in an outbreak investigation. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:3116-8 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive evaluation established that a newly described toxin gene represents a superior target for detecting M. pneumoniae DNA in clinical specimens, although use of multiple targets may increase testing confidence...
- Carvalho M, Pimenta F, Gertz R, Joshi H, Trujillo A, Keys L, et al. PCR-based quantitation and clonal diversity of the current prevalent invasive serogroup 6 pneumococcal serotype, 6C, in the United States in 1999 and 2006 to 2007. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:554-9 pubmed publisher..Fifteen 6C isolates shared one of four different MLST types with 6C-negative CS6As. MLST results suggest 6C strains arose from independent recombination events involving only serotype 6A and 6C parental strains. ..
- Jamieson D, Honein M, Rasmussen S, Williams J, Swerdlow D, Biggerstaff M, et al. H1N1 2009 influenza virus infection during pregnancy in the USA. Lancet. 2009;374:451-8 pubmed publisher..We summarised cases of infection with pandemic H1N1 virus in pregnant women identified in the USA during the first month of the present outbreak, and deaths associated with this virus during the first 2 months of the outbreak...
- Naimi T, Nelson D, Brewer R. Driving after binge drinking. Am J Prev Med. 2009;37:314-20 pubmed publisher..Although binge drinking is strongly associated with alcohol-impaired driving, little is known about the prevalence of or risk factors for driving after binge drinking...
- Markowitz L, Hariri S, Unger E, Saraiya M, Datta S, Dunne E. Post-licensure monitoring of HPV vaccine in the United States. Vaccine. 2010;28:4731-7 pubmed publisher..We review systems in place or being established for post-licensure monitoring of HPV vaccine in the United States. ..
- Yusuf H, Atrash H, Grosse S, Parker C, Grant A. Emergency department visits made by patients with sickle cell disease: a descriptive study, 1999-2007. Am J Prev Med. 2010;38:S536-41 pubmed publisher..The most common reason for the emergency department visits is pain symptoms. The findings of this study can help to improve health services delivery and utilization among patients with SCD. ..
- Soucie J, Wang C, Forsyth A, Funk S, Denny M, Roach K, et al. Range of motion measurements: reference values and a database for comparison studies. Haemophilia. 2011;17:500-7 pubmed publisher..Our study of ROM measurements taken by trained physical therapists on a large sample of healthy individuals revealed significant gender- and age-related variation that may be an important consideration in patient assessment...
- Nakaya H, Wrammert J, Lee E, Racioppi L, Marie Kunze S, Haining W, et al. Systems biology of vaccination for seasonal influenza in humans. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:786-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, systems approaches can be used to predict immunogenicity and provide new mechanistic insights about vaccines. ..
- Kraft J, Kulkarni A, Hsia J, Jamieson D, Warner L. Sex education and adolescent sexual behavior: do community characteristics matter?. Contraception. 2012;86:276-80 pubmed publisher..Variation in the effects of sex education should be explored. Research might focus on programmatic differences by community type and programmatic needs in various types of communities. ..
- Smith D, Pals S, Herbst J, Shinde S, Carey J. Development of a clinical screening index predictive of incident HIV infection among men who have sex with men in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;60:421-7 pubmed publisher..The index can be used to prioritize patients for intensive HIV prevention efforts (eg, preexposure prophylaxis). ..
- Spencer J, Badik J, Ryan E, Gleason T, Broadaway K, Epstein M, et al. Modifiers of ovarian function in girls and women with classic galactosemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:E1257-65 pubmed publisher..1 ng/mL. A majority of girls with classic galactosemia demonstrate evidence of diminished ovarian reserve by 3 months of age, and predicted cryptic residual GALT activity is a modifier of ovarian function in galactosemic girls and women. ..
- Zaki S, Shieh W, Greer P, Goldsmith C, Ferebee T, Katshitshi J, et al. A novel immunohistochemical assay for the detection of Ebola virus in skin: implications for diagnosis, spread, and surveillance of Ebola hemorrhagic fever. Commission de Lutte contre les Epidémies à Kikwit. J Infect Dis. 1999;179 Suppl 1:S36-47 pubmed..IHC testing of formalin-fixed skin specimens is a safe, sensitive, and specific method for laboratory diagnosis of EHF and should be useful for EHF surveillance and prevention...
- Vitek C, Aduddell M, Brinton M, Hoffman R, Redd S. Increased protections during a measles outbreak of children previously vaccinated with a second dose of measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999;18:620-3 pubmed
- Fivgas G, Capone A. Pediatric rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Retina. 2001;21:101-6 pubmed..Forty-one percent of eyes retained vision of 20/800 or better. Preserving vision in children with RRD is of great importance, particularly given the 89% frequency of vision-threatening abnormalities in fellow eyes. ..
- Sharara N, Holden J, Wojno T, Feinberg A, Grossniklaus H. Ocular adnexal lymphoid proliferations: clinical, histologic, flow cytometric, and molecular analysis of forty-three cases. Ophthalmology. 2003;110:1245-54 pubmed..To describe the clinical features, histologic findings, flow cytometric immunophenotypes, and molecular profiles of ocular adnexal lymphoid proliferations...
- Kelman L. The place of osmophobia and taste abnormalities in migraine classification: a tertiary care study of 1237 patients. Cephalalgia. 2004;24:940-6 pubmed..0; phonophobia and taste abnormality, 9.6 and 98.8; and osmophobia and taste abnormality, 4.2 and 99.4. Osmophobia and taste abnormalities were demonstrated to be very specific in diagnosing migraine IHS 1.1-1.6, but very insensitive. ..
- Mahle W, Visconti K, Freier M, Kanne S, Hamilton W, Sharkey A, et al. Relationship of surgical approach to neurodevelopmental outcomes in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Pediatrics. 2006;117:e90-7 pubmed..Complications that result in prolonged hospitalization at the time of the initial operation are associated with neurodevelopmental status at school age. ..
- Rose C, Martin S, Wannemuehler K, Plikaytis B. On the use of zero-inflated and hurdle models for modeling vaccine adverse event count data. J Biopharm Stat. 2006;16:463-81 pubmed..at-risk participants) then the hurdle model framework is generally preferred. Conversely, if the study's primary purpose it is to develop a prediction model then both the zero-inflated and hurdle modeling frameworks should be adequate. ..
- Redd J, Voorhees R, Torok T. Outbreak of lepidopterism at a Boy Scout camp. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;56:952-5 pubmed..7; 95% CI, 1.3-2.4). All patients recovered. Data on disease status and risk factors were collected retrospectively. Modifying behaviors associated with lepidopterism and avoiding areas of heavy infestation can reduce illness risk. ..
- Anderson L, Seward J. Mumps epidemiology and immunity: the anatomy of a modern epidemic. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:S75-9 pubmed publisher..The reason for this mumps outbreak is not clear but probably results from multiple factors contributing to an overall increase in susceptibility and/or transmission. ..
- Owens M, Beckles G, Ho K, Gorrell P, Brady J, Kaftarian J. Women with diagnosed diabetes across the life stages: underuse of recommended preventive care services. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2008;17:1415-23 pubmed publisher..Programs should use a life stage approach to address the unique needs of women with diabetes. ..