Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on actins in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Molecular and biochemical characterization of kettin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:449-54 pubmed..Immunofluorescent localization of kettin shows that it localizes to the I-bands in the obliquely striated body wall muscle. Therefore, C. elegans is an attractive model system to study specific functions of kettin in muscle cells. ..
- Lee C, Han J, Bamburg J, Han L, Lynn R, Zheng J. Regulation of acetylcholine receptor clustering by ADF/cofilin-directed vesicular trafficking. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:848-56 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that spatiotemporally restricted ADF/cofilin-mediated actin dynamics regulate AChR trafficking during the development of neuromuscular synapses. ..
- Li L, Emmett N, Mann D, Zhao X. Fenofibrate attenuates tubulointerstitial fibrosis and inflammation through suppression of nuclear factor-?B and transforming growth factor-?1/Smad3 in diabetic nephropathy. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010;235:383-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, fenofibrate suppressed NF-kappaB and TGF-beta1/Smad3 signaling pathways and reduced renal inflammation and tubulointerstitial fibrosis in diabetic ZD animals. ..
- Gross C, Yao X, Pong D, Jeromin A, Bassell G. Fragile X mental retardation protein regulates protein expression and mRNA translation of the potassium channel Kv4.2. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5693-8 pubmed publisher..2 mRNA translation, protein expression, and plasma membrane levels might contribute to excess neuronal excitability in Fmr1 KO mice, and thus imply a potential mechanism underlying FXS-associated epilepsy. ..
- Nomura K, Ono K, Ono S. CAS-1, a C. elegans cyclase-associated protein, is required for sarcomeric actin assembly in striated muscle. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4077-89 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic and biochemical evidence that cyclase-associated protein is a critical regulator of sarcomeric actin organization in striated muscle. ..
- Jung J, Lifland A, Alonas E, Zurla C, Santangelo P. Characterization of mRNA-cytoskeleton interactions in situ using FMTRIP and proximity ligation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74598 pubmed publisher..Both perturbations led to a decrease in poly(A) + mRNA interactions with F-actin and an increase in the interactions with microtubules, in a time dependent manner. ..
- Ono S, Benian G. Two Caenorhabditis elegans actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin proteins, encoded by the unc-60 gene, differentially regulate actin filament dynamics. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3778-83 pubmed..These data suggest that the two UNC-60 isoforms play differential roles in regulating actin filament dynamics in vivo. ..
- Arduengo P, Appleberry O, Chuang P, L Hernault S. The presenilin protein family member SPE-4 localizes to an ER/Golgi derived organelle and is required for proper cytoplasmic partitioning during Caenorhabditis elegans spermatogenesis. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 24):3645-54 pubmed..These results suggest that wild-type SPE-4 is required for proper localization of macromolecules that are subject to asymmetric partitioning during spermatogenesis. ..
- Hu J, Du J, Zhang L, Price S, Klein J, WANG X. XIAP reduces muscle proteolysis induced by CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;21:1174-83 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results demonstrate that XIAP inhibits multiple aspects of protein degradation in skeletal muscle during CKD. ..
- Simionescu Bankston A, Leoni G, Wang Y, Pham P, Ramalingam A, DuHadaway J, et al. The N-BAR domain protein, Bin3, regulates Rac1- and Cdc42-dependent processes in myogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;382:160-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data classify N-BAR domain proteins as novel regulators of actin-dependent processes in myogenesis, and further implicate BAR domain proteins in muscle growth and repair. ..
- Yamashiro S, Gimona M, Ono S. UNC-87, a calponin-related protein in C. elegans, antagonizes ADF/cofilin-mediated actin filament dynamics. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3022-33 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that actin binding via calponin-like repeats competes with ADF/cofilin-driven cytoskeletal turnover, and is critical for providing the spatiotemporal regulation of actin filament stability. ..
- Zhou D, Lee T, Weng S, Fu J, Garcia A. Effects of substrate stiffness and actomyosin contractility on coupling between force transmission and vinculin-paxillin recruitment at single focal adhesions. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1901-1911 pubmed publisher..This analysis sheds new insights on the coupling among force, substrate stiffness, and FA dynamics. ..
- Hopkins A, Pineda A, Winfree L, Brown G, Laukoetter M, Nusrat A. Organized migration of epithelial cells requires control of adhesion and protrusion through Rho kinase effectors. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G806-17 pubmed
- Lei W, Myers K, Rui Y, Hladyshau S, Tsygankov D, Zheng J. Phosphoinositide-dependent enrichment of actin monomers in dendritic spines regulates synapse development and plasticity. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2551-2564 pubmed publisher..Together, our results have revealed a novel mechanism by which dynamic enrichment of G-actin in spines regulates the actin remodeling underlying synapse development and plasticity. ..
- Jabs A, Moncada G, Nichols C, Waller E, Wilcox J. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells acquire myofibroblast characteristics in granulation tissue. J Vasc Res. 2005;42:174-80 pubmed..We therefore assessed the distribution of transplanted peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) in granulation tissue formation, and evaluated their possible transdifferentiation into myofibroblasts...
- Cucoranu I, Clempus R, Dikalova A, Phelan P, Ariyan S, Dikalov S, et al. NAD(P)H oxidase 4 mediates transforming growth factor-beta1-induced differentiation of cardiac fibroblasts into myofibroblasts. Circ Res. 2005;97:900-7 pubmed..Thus, Nox4 may play a critical role in the pathological activation of cardiac fibroblasts in cardiac fibrosis associated with human heart failure. ..
- Folpe A, McKenney J, Li Z, Smith S, Weiss S. Clear cell myomelanocytic tumor of the thigh: report of a unique case. Am J Surg Pathol. 2002;26:809-12 pubmed..Histologic examination showed the classic features of CCMMT, and immunohistochemical studies confirmed co-expression of smooth muscle actin, HMB-45, and microphthalmia transcription factor...
- Fernstrom K, Farmer P, Ali M. Cytoskeletal remodeling in vascular smooth muscle cells in response to angiotensin II-induced activation of the SHP-2 tyrosine phosphatase. J Cell Physiol. 2005;205:402-13 pubmed..These results demonstrate a unique role for SHP-2 in the regulation of the cellular architecture of VSMC, suggesting the possibility that this phosphatase might be instrumental in vascular remodeling. ..
- Caracino D, Jones C, Compton M, Saxe C. The N-terminus of Dictyostelium Scar interacts with Abi and HSPC300 and is essential for proper regulation and function. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1609-20 pubmed..The presence of mis-regulated or unregulated Scar has significant deleterious effects on cells and may explain the need to keep Scar activity tightly controlled in vivo either by assembly in a complex or by rapid degradation. ..
- Zurla C, Lifland A, Santangelo P. Characterizing mRNA interactions with RNA granules during translation initiation inhibition. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19727 pubmed publisher..This methodology represents a valuable tool for future studies of mRNA trafficking and regulation within living cells. ..
- Thaiparambil J, Eggers C, Marcus A. AMPK regulates mitotic spindle orientation through phosphorylation of myosin regulatory light chain. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:3203-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that AMPK mediates spindle pole-associated pMRLC(ser19) to control spindle orientation via regulation of actin cortex-astral microtubule attachments. ..
- Xu W, Mezencev R, Kim B, Wang L, McDonald J, Sulchek T. Cell stiffness is a biomarker of the metastatic potential of ovarian cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46609 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that cell stiffness may be a useful biomarker to evaluate the relative metastatic potential of ovarian and perhaps other types of cancer cells. ..
- Werner E, Kowalczyk A, Faundez V. Anthrax toxin receptor 1/tumor endothelium marker 8 mediates cell spreading by coupling extracellular ligands to the actin cytoskeleton. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23227-36 pubmed..Thus, our results indicate that TEM8 is a new adhesion molecule linking collagen I or PA to the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Anyanful A, Ono K, Johnsen R, Ly H, Jensen V, Baillie D, et al. The RNA-binding protein SUP-12 controls muscle-specific splicing of the ADF/cofilin pre-mRNA in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:639-47 pubmed..Our results suggest that SUP-12 is a novel tissue-specific splicing factor and regulates functional redundancy among ADF/cofilin isoforms. ..
- Ganusova E, Ozolins L, Bhagat S, Newnam G, Wegrzyn R, Sherman M, et al. Modulation of prion formation, aggregation, and toxicity by the actin cytoskeleton in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:617-29 pubmed..These aggregates promote prion formation. Moreover, it appears that the actin cytoskeleton also plays a certain role in counteracting the toxicity of the overproduced potentially aggregating proteins. ..
- Ono S, Baillie D, Benian G. UNC-60B, an ADF/cofilin family protein, is required for proper assembly of actin into myofibrils in Caenorhabditis elegans body wall muscle. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:491-502 pubmed..We conclude that precise control of actin filament dynamics by UNC-60B is required for proper integration of actin into myofibrils. ..
- Ono S. The Caenorhabditis elegans unc-78 gene encodes a homologue of actin-interacting protein 1 required for organized assembly of muscle actin filaments. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1313-9 pubmed..Similar Unc-78 phenotypes are observed in both embryonic and adult muscles. Thus, AIP1 is an important regulator of actin filament organization and localization of ADF/cofilin during development of myofibrils. ..
- Lee M, San Martin A, Valdivia A, Martin Garrido A, Griendling K. Redox-Sensitive Regulation of Myocardin-Related Transcription Factor (MRTF-A) Phosphorylation via Palladin in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Differentiation Marker Gene Expression. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153199 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of palladin also decreases MRTF-A phosphorylation. These data suggest that Nox4-dependent palladin expression and ROCK regulate phosphorylation of MRTF-A, a critical factor in the regulation of SRF responsive gene expression. ..
- Stevenson T, Mercer K, Cox E, Szewczyk N, Conley C, HARDIN J, et al. unc-94 encodes a tropomodulin in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:936-50 pubmed..In addition, UNC-94 is localized near muscle cell-to-cell boundaries. ..
- Reeves P, Smith S, Olson V, Thorne S, Bornmann W, Damon I, et al. Variola and monkeypox viruses utilize conserved mechanisms of virion motility and release that depend on abl and SRC family tyrosine kinases. J Virol. 2011;85:21-31 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest a possible utility for imatinib mesylate in treating smallpox or MPX infections or complications associated with vaccination. ..
- Babbin B, Parkos C, Mandell K, Winfree L, Laur O, Ivanov A, et al. Annexin 2 regulates intestinal epithelial cell spreading and wound closure through Rho-related signaling. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:951-66 pubmed..These findings suggest that annexin 2 plays a role in targeting Rho to cellular membranes, thereby modulating Rho-related signaling events regulating cytoskeletal reorganization during epithelial cell migration. ..
- Zhang Q, Randleman J, Stulting R, Lee W, Stone D, Kozarsky A, et al. Clinicopathologic findings in failed descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:973-80 pubmed publisher..Residual host Descemet membrane, fibrocellular tissue at the edge of the lenticule, and epithelial implantation are common histologic findings. Fungal infection may occur in the setting of DSAEK. ..
- Ono K, Parast M, Alberico C, Benian G, Ono S. Specific requirement for two ADF/cofilin isoforms in distinct actin-dependent processes in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2073-85 pubmed..These results suggest that the ADF/cofilin isoforms play distinct roles in specific aspects of actin reorganization in vivo. ..
- Delevoye C, Heiligenstein X, Ripoll L, Gilles Marsens F, Dennis M, Linares R, et al. BLOC-1 Brings Together the Actin and Microtubule Cytoskeletons to Generate Recycling Endosomes. Curr Biol. 2016;26:1-13 pubmed publisher..By shaping recycling endosomal tubules, our data reveal that dysfunctionÂ of the BLOC-1-KIF13A-Annexin A2 molecular network underlies the pathophysiology of neurological and pigmentary disorders. ..
- Ono S, McGough A, Pope B, Tolbert V, Bui A, Pohl J, et al. The C-terminal tail of UNC-60B (actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin) is critical for maintaining its stable association with F-actin and is implicated in the second actin-binding site. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5952-8 pubmed..Helical reconstruction and structural modeling of UNC-60B-F-actin complex reveal how the C terminus of UNC-60B might be involved in one of the two actin-binding sites. ..
- Ono S, Mohri K, Ono K. Microscopic evidence that actin-interacting protein 1 actively disassembles actin-depolymerizing factor/Cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14207-12 pubmed..These results suggest that AIP has an active role in filament severing or depolymerization and that ADF/cofilin and AIP1 are distinct from gelsolin in modulating filament elongation. ..
- Hopkins A, Bruewer M, Brown G, Pineda A, Ha J, Winfree L, et al. Epithelial cell spreading induced by hepatocyte growth factor influences paxillin protein synthesis and posttranslational modification. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;287:G886-98 pubmed
- Ivanov A, Hopkins A, Brown G, Gerner Smidt K, Babbin B, Parkos C, et al. Myosin II regulates the shape of three-dimensional intestinal epithelial cysts. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1803-14 pubmed publisher..We conclude that myosin II regulates the spherical shape of epithelial cysts by controlling actin polymerization at the cyst surface. ..
- Mohri K, Ono K, Yu R, Yamashiro S, Ono S. Enhancement of actin-depolymerizing factor/cofilin-dependent actin disassembly by actin-interacting protein 1 is required for organized actin filament assembly in the Caenorhabditis elegans body wall muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2190-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the actin-regulating activity of AIP1 in cooperation with ADF/cofilin is essential for its in vivo function to regulate actin filament organization in muscle cells. ..
- Chernova T, Romanyuk A, Karpova T, Shanks J, Ali M, Moffatt N, et al. Prion induction by the short-lived, stress-induced protein Lsb2 is regulated by ubiquitination and association with the actin cytoskeleton. Mol Cell. 2011;43:242-52 pubmed publisher..These findings directly implicate the UPS and actin cytoskeleton in regulating prions via a stress-inducible QN-rich protein. ..
- Mohri K, Vorobiev S, Fedorov A, Almo S, Ono S. Identification of functional residues on Caenorhabditis elegans actin-interacting protein 1 (UNC-78) for disassembly of actin depolymerizing factor/cofilin-bound actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31697-707 pubmed..These data support a model in which this conserved surface of AIP1 plays a direct role in enhancing fragmentation/depolymerization of ADF/cofilin-bound actin filaments but not in barbed end capping. ..
- Fifadara N, Beer F, Ono S, Ono S. Interaction between activated chemokine receptor 1 and FcepsilonRI at membrane rafts promotes communication and F-actin-rich cytoneme extensions between mast cells. Int Immunol. 2010;22:113-28 pubmed publisher..The cytonemes may participate in intercellular communication during allergic and inflammatory responses, and their presence in the co-stimulated mast cells suggests new roles for CCRs in immunopathology. ..
- Klaavuniemi T, Yamashiro S, Ono S. Caenorhabditis elegans gelsolin-like protein 1 is a novel actin filament-severing protein with four gelsolin-like repeats. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:26071-80 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that GSNL-1 is a novel member of the gelsolin family of actin regulatory proteins and provide new insight into functional diversity and evolution of gelsolin-related proteins. ..
- Gu J, Lee C, Fan Y, Komlos D, Tang X, Sun C, et al. ADF/cofilin-mediated actin dynamics regulate AMPA receptor trafficking during synaptic plasticity. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1208-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that temporally regulated ADF/cofilin activities function in postsynaptic modifications of receptor number and spine size during synaptic plasticity. ..
- Liu Z, Klaavuniemi T, Ono S. Distinct roles of four gelsolin-like domains of Caenorhabditis elegans gelsolin-like protein-1 in actin filament severing, barbed end capping, and phosphoinositide binding. Biochemistry. 2010;49:4349-60 pubmed publisher..These results reveal both conserved and different utilization of G domains between C. elegans GSNL-1 and mammalian gelsolin for actin regulatory functions. ..
- Kang S, Elf S, Lythgoe K, Hitosugi T, Taunton J, Zhou W, et al. p90 ribosomal S6 kinase 2 promotes invasion and metastasis of human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1165-77 pubmed publisher..Moreover, targeting RSK2 markedly attenuates in vitro invasion and in vivo metastasis of HNSCC cells, suggesting that RSK2 may represent a therapeutic target in the treatment of metastatic HNSCC. ..
- Abdelkafy W, Smith J, Henriquez O, Golub J, Xu J, Rojas M, et al. Age-related changes in the murine larynx: initial validation of a mouse model. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2007;116:618-22 pubmed..With changing age demographics in our society and increasing emphasis on quality of life, treatment of presbylaryngis is becoming more paramount...