Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rats in University Park, Florida, United States
Locale: University Park, Florida, United States
Publications110 found, 100 shown here
- Hegde N, Jensen G, Unger E. A postweaning iron-adequate diet following neonatal iron deficiency affects iron homeostasis and growth in young rats. J Nutr. 2011;141:386-90 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that an iron-adequate diet following neonatal iron deficiency induced an inflammatory milieu that affected iron homeostasis and early growth and development. ..
- Savastano D, Carelle M, Covasa M. Serotonin-type 3 receptors mediate intestinal Polycose- and glucose-induced suppression of intake. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;288:R1499-508 pubmed..We conclude that 5-HT(3) receptors participate in the inhibition of food intake by intraduodenal infusion of carbohydrate solutions through a posthydrolytic, preabsorptive mechanism. ..
- Garanich J, Mathura R, Shi Z, Tarbell J. Effects of fluid shear stress on adventitial fibroblast migration: implications for flow-mediated mechanisms of arterialization and intimal hyperplasia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H3128-35 pubmed..Because of the distinct migratory responses of SFBs and CFBs in response to SS, phenotype modulation appears to be one way to regulate their involvement in both physiological and pathological remodeling processes. ..
- Bell D, Clode S, Fan M, Fernandes A, Foster P, Jiang T, et al. Toxicity of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in the developing male Wistar(Han) rat. I: No decrease in epididymal sperm count after a single acute dose. Toxicol Sci. 2007;99:214-23 pubmed..These data show that TCDD is a potent developmental toxin after exposure of the developing fetus but that acute developmental exposure to TCDD on GD15 caused no decrease in sperm counts. ..
- Ramamurthy B, Larsson L. Detection of an aging-related increase in advanced glycation end products in fast- and slow-twitch skeletal muscles in the rat. Biogerontology. 2013;14:293-301 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to establish a link between the observed ageing related increase in glycation and muscle function at the motor unit, cellular and tissue levels. ..
- Chang M, Burgess J, Scholz R, Reddy C. The induction of specific rat liver glutathione S-transferase subunits under inadequate selenium nutrition causes an increase in prostaglandin F2 alpha formation. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:5418-23 pubmed..These data strongly support a role of GSTs, especially those composed of the Ya size subunit, in the synthesis of PGF2 alpha from PGH2. ..
- Erikson K, Pinero D, Connor J, Beard J. Regional brain iron, ferritin and transferrin concentrations during iron deficiency and iron repletion in developing rats. J Nutr. 1997;127:2030-8 pubmed..The brain of developing rats thus distributes iron and iron regulatory proteins differently from the brain of adult rats and is quite avid in its reacquisition of iron during iron therapy. ..
- Modun B, Cockayne A, Finch R, Williams P. The Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis transferrin-binding proteins are expressed in vivo during infection. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 4):1005-12 pubmed..aureus and S. epidermidis. These provide evidence to show that staphylococcal TBPs are expressed in vivo during infection. ..
- Mastro A, Schlosser D, Grove D, Lincoski C, Pishak S, Gordon S, et al. Lymphocyte subpopulations in lymphoid organs of rats after acute resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999;31:74-81 pubmed..Based on these and published data, it appears that a single bout of resistance exercise can affect lymphoid cell subpopulations probably by inducing changes in leukocyte trafficking. ..
- Cassaday H, Norman C, Shilliam C, Vincent C, Marsden C. Intraventricular 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions disrupt acquisition of working memory task rules but not performance once learned. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2003;27:147-56 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that the serotonergic system is important in the acquisition of working memory tasks in the rat and that this outcome was unlikely to be the result of nonspecific effects of the lesion. ..
- Ainslie K, Garanich J, Dull R, Tarbell J. Vascular smooth muscle cell glycocalyx influences shear stress-mediated contractile response. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;98:242-9 pubmed
- Hayes M, Savastano D, Covasa M. Cholecystokinin-induced satiety is mediated through interdependent cooperation of CCK-A and 5-HT3 receptors. Physiol Behav. 2004;82:663-9 pubmed..Most likely, this interconnection exists through a feed-forward parallel model arising from CCK-A and 5-HT3 receptors, where activation of one system engages the other to intensify the overall satiety signal. ..
- Hunter J, Korzick D. Age- and sex-dependent alterations in protein kinase C (PKC) and extracellular regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) in rat myocardium. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005;126:535-50 pubmed..Collectively, our results provide novel evidence for age and sex-related differences in the magnitude and distribution of cardiac PKC-ERK1/2 SMS consistent with previously described pathological and protective phenotypes, respectively. ..
- De Jonghe B, Hajnal A, Covasa M. Conditioned preference for sweet stimuli in OLETF rat: effects of food deprivation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R1819-27 pubmed..Thus, it appears that OLETF rats form preferences for sucrose based largely on orosensory and hedonic properties of the solution, rather than caloric value. ..
- Charlton S, Whetstone J, Fayinka S, Read K, Illum L, Davis S. Evaluation of direct transport pathways of glycine receptor antagonists and an angiotensin antagonist from the nasal cavity to the central nervous system in the rat model. Pharm Res. 2008;25:1531-43 pubmed publisher..It is proposed that the drug moved through the neuro-olfactory system, primarily via paracellular pathways. ..
- Peters J, Hollingshead H, Gonzalez F. Role of peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor beta/delta (PPARbeta/delta) in gastrointestinal tract function and disease. Clin Sci (Lond). 2008;115:107-27 pubmed publisher..In the present review, we summarize the role of PPARbeta/delta in gastrointestinal physiology and disease with an emphasis on findings in experimental models using both high-affinity ligands and null-mouse models. ..
- DeKeyser J, Stagliano M, Auerbach S, Prabhu K, Jones A, Omiecinski C. Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate is a highly potent agonist for the human constitutive androstane receptor splice variant CAR2. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;75:1005-13 pubmed publisher..The discovery that CAR2 is an ultimate human DEHP receptor identifies a novel pathway modulating human DEHP toxicity with potential clinical implications for a subset of patients undergoing critical care medical interventions. ..
- Wong K, Wojnicki F, Corwin R. Baclofen, raclopride, and naltrexone differentially affect intake of fat/sucrose mixtures under limited access conditions. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009;92:528-36 pubmed publisher..These results also suggest that brief bouts of food consumption involving fatty, sugar-rich foods may prove to be particularly resistant to pharmacological intervention...
- Spriggs K, Cobbold L, Ridley S, Coldwell M, Bottley A, Bushell M, et al. The human insulin receptor mRNA contains a functional internal ribosome entry segment. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:5881-93 pubmed publisher..IRES activity was stimulated by insulin in sub-confluent cells. The IRES may function to maintain expression of IR protein in tissues such as the brain where mRNA translation by cap-dependent scanning is less effective. ..
- Tomicek N, Miller Lee J, Hunter J, Korzick D. Estrogen receptor beta does not influence ischemic tolerance in the aged female rat heart. Cardiovasc Ther. 2013;31:32-7 pubmed publisher..Here, for the first time, our data suggest that acute ERÎ² activation does not impact ischemic tolerance in the adult or aged female Fischer 344 rat myocardium and this likely due to a lack of detectable ERÎ². ..
- Tan L, Wray A, Green M, Ross A. Retinol kinetics in unsupplemented and vitamin A-retinoic acid supplemented neonatal rats: a preliminary model. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:1077-86 pubmed publisher..A VARA perturbation model indicated that the effect of VARA in stimulating VA uptake into tissues in neonates is both dramatic and transient. ..
- Dawson H, Ross A. Chronic marginal vitamin A status affects the distribution and function of T cells and natural T cells in aging Lewis rats. J Nutr. 1999;129:1782-90 pubmed..T- and classical NK cells in aging VA-marginal rats suggest that low VA status during aging may increase the risk of infectious or neoplastic diseases that require a normal balance of T-cell or NK-cell responses. ..
- Krogman N, Weikel A, Kristhart K, Nukavarapu S, Deng M, Nair L, et al. The influence of side group modification in polyphosphazenes on hydrolysis and cell adhesion of blends with PLGA. Biomaterials. 2009;30:3035-41 pubmed publisher..Primary osteoblast cell studies showed good cell adhesion to the polymer blends during 14 days, but subsequent limited cell spreading due to increased surface roughness as the two polymers eroded at different rates. ..
- Chang M, Rao M, Reddanna P, Li C, Tu C, Corey E, et al. Specificity of the glutathione S-transferases in the conversion of leukotriene A4 to leukotriene C4. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1987;259:536-47 pubmed..Surprisingly, purified GSTs from sheep lung and seminal vesicles showed little activity toward these leukotriene epoxides, indicating a lack of the counterpart of rat liver anionic GST isozyme in these tissues. ..
- Erikson K, Jones B, Hess E, Zhang Q, Beard J. Iron deficiency decreases dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in rat brain. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2001;69:409-18 pubmed..Importantly, the impact of ID on dopamine was more pronounced in males than females, demonstrating sex-related different sensitivities to nutrient deprivation. ..
- Tickerhoof M, Farrell P, Korzick D. Alterations in rat coronary vasoreactivity and vascular protein kinase C isoforms in Type 1 diabetes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;285:H2694-703 pubmed..These data further suggest that aberrant CA constrictor and dilator responses are likely to contribute to the coronary vascular pathology associated with DM. ..
- De Bank P, Kendall D, Alexander S. A spectrophotometric assay for fatty acid amide hydrolase suitable for high-throughput screening. Biochem Pharmacol. 2005;69:1187-93 pubmed..This assay system was also adapted for use in microtiter plates and its ability to detect a known inhibitor of FAAH demonstrated, highlighting its potential for use in high-throughput screening. ..
- De Jonghe B, Di Martino C, Hajnal A, Covasa M. Brief intermittent access to sucrose differentially modulates prepulse inhibition and acoustic startle response in obese CCK-1 receptor deficient rats. Brain Res. 2005;1052:22-7 pubmed..A similar effect may be contributory to the hyperphagic behavioral phenotype of obese animal models with altered central dopamine regulation...
- Hayes M, Covasa M. CCK and 5-HT act synergistically to suppress food intake through simultaneous activation of CCK-1 and 5-HT3 receptors. Peptides. 2005;26:2322-30 pubmed..Furthermore, CCK and 5-HT interact to produce an enhanced suppression of food intake, an effect mediated through concomitant activation of CCK-1 and 5-HT3 receptors. ..
- Chen Q, Ross A. Retinoic acid regulates CD1d gene expression at the transcriptional level in human and rodent monocytic cells. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:488-94 pubmed..These studies together provide evidence for a previously unknown mechanism of CD1d gene expression regulation by RA and suggest that RA is a significant modulator of NKT cell activation. ..
- Das S, Nozawa M, Klein J, Nei M. Evolutionary dynamics of the immunoglobulin heavy chain variable region genes in vertebrates. Immunogenetics. 2008;60:47-55 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the evolution of IGHV multigene family is more complex than previously thought and that several factors may act synergistically for the development of antibody repertoire. ..
- Fan M, Bell A, Bell D, Clode S, Fernandes A, Foster P, et al. Recombinant expression of aryl hydrocarbon receptor for quantitative ligand-binding analysis. Anal Biochem. 2009;384:279-87 pubmed publisher..The human AhR bound TCDD with significantly lower affinity than the rat AhR. These findings demonstrate high-level expression of ligand-binding-competent AhR, and sufficient AhR for quantitative analysis of ligand binding. ..
- Guard D, Swartz T, Ritter R, Burns G, Covasa M. NMDA NR2 receptors participate in CCK-induced reduction of food intake and hindbrain neuronal activation. Brain Res. 2009;1266:37-44 pubmed publisher..In addition our results suggest that NMDA receptors outside the hindbrain, perhaps in the periphery, participate in vagally mediated, CCK-induced reduction of food intake and NTS neuron activation. ..
- Sunderam S, Chernyy N, Peixoto N, Mason J, Weinstein S, Schiff S, et al. Seizure entrainment with polarizing low-frequency electric fields in a chronic animal epilepsy model. J Neural Eng. 2009;6:046009 pubmed publisher..01) was observed in three of four animals in 42/64 stimulated seizures. This is the first demonstration in chronically implanted freely behaving animals of PLEF modulation of neural activity with simultaneous recording. ..
- Zolfaghari R, Ross A. An essential set of basic DNA response elements is required for receptor-dependent transcription of the lecithin:retinol acyltransferase (Lrat) gene. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009;489:1-9 pubmed publisher..Nuclear extracts from RA-treated cells exhibited enhanced binding. Therefore, this proximal region together with basal transcription factors may be sufficient to drive Lrat expression. ..
- Garner T, Strachan J, Shedden E, Long J, Cavey J, Shaw B, et al. Independent interactions of ubiquitin-binding domains in a ubiquitin-mediated ternary complex. Biochemistry. 2011;50:9076-87 pubmed publisher..This work supports an emerging concept of Ub acting as a scaffold to mediate multiprotein complex assembly. ..
- Hall J, Kochins J, Perez F. Purification and characterization of N-acetyl-beta-D-hexosaminidase in different anatomical regions of the adult rat epididymis. Biochem Int. 1992;28:613-20 pubmed..These values were determined by using p-nitrophenyl-N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminide as the substrate. These data suggest that the enzyme may be more active in the corpus region of the epididymis than in the caput and caudal regions. ..
- Fisher K, Aronson N. Characterization of the cDNA and genomic sequence of a G protein gamma subunit (gamma 5). Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:1585-91 pubmed..Genomic cloning also resulted in the isolation of a human gamma 5 pseudogene. ..
- Shimada T, Ross A, Muccio D, Brouillette W, Shealy Y. Regulation of hepatic lecithin:retinol acyltransferase activity by retinoic acid receptor-selective retinoids. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997;344:220-7 pubmed..920). These data implicate the RARs in the induction of hepatic LRAT and suggest a predominant role for RAR-alpha-active ligands. ..
- Zolfaghari R, Ross A. Lecithin:retinol acyltransferase from mouse and rat liver. CDNA cloning and liver-specific regulation by dietary vitamin a and retinoic acid. J Lipid Res. 2000;41:2024-34 pubmed
- Wang Y, Zolfaghari R, Ross A. Cloning of rat cytochrome P450RAI (CYP26) cDNA and regulation of its gene expression by all-trans-retinoic acid in vivo. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;401:235-43 pubmed
- Davis R, Lecomte J. Structural propensities in the heme binding region of apocytochrome b5. I. Free peptides. Biopolymers. 2008;90:544-55 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that the prediction of intrinsic disorder was reliable. Furthermore, the stability of the holoprotein did not correlate simply with helical propensities in the disordered regions. ..
- Onishi A, Liotta L, Benkovic S. Cloning and expression of Chromobacterium violaceum phenylalanine hydroxylase in Escherichia coli and comparison of amino acid sequence with mammalian aromatic amino acid hydroxylases. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:18454-9 pubmed..The over-expression of C. violaceum PAH in Escherichia coli will facilitate the analysis of the enzyme mechanism by various spectroscopic methods...
- Falzone C, Mayer M, Whiteman E, Moore C, Lecomte J. Design challenges for hemoproteins: the solution structure of apocytochrome b5. Biochemistry. 1996;35:6519-26 pubmed
- Farrell P, Hernandez J, Fedele M, Vary T, Kimball S, Jefferson L. Eukaryotic initiation factors and protein synthesis after resistance exercise in rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000;88:1036-42 pubmed..These new data, along with our previous report on eIF2B, suggest that the regulation of peptide chain initiation after exercise is more dependent on eIF2B than on the eIF4E system...
- Harris N, Whitt S, Zilberberg J, Alexander J, Rumbaut R. Extravascular transport of fluorescently labeled albumins in the rat mesentery. Microcirculation. 2002;9:177-87 pubmed..Measurement of fluorescently labeled albumin leakage from mesenteric venules depends on the dye used to label the albumin and requires an assessment of losses from the extravascular measuring region. ..
- Kubica N, Kimball S, Jefferson L, Farrell P. Alterations in the expression of mRNAs and proteins that code for species relevant to eIF2B activity after an acute bout of resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2004;96:679-87 pubmed..Furthermore, transcription of these mRNAs is altered further into the recovery period, and this might play a role in protein synthetic capacity on subsequent bouts of resistance exercise. ..
- Qi J, Wang Y, Jiang M, Warren P, Chen G. Cyclothiazide induces robust epileptiform activity in rat hippocampal neurons both in vitro and in vivo. J Physiol. 2006;571:605-18 pubmed..The long-lasting epileptiform activity after CTZ washout may also make it a very useful model in screening antiepileptic drugs. ..
- Olsavsky Goyak K, Laurenzana E, Omiecinski C. Hepatocyte differentiation. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;640:115-38 pubmed publisher..This chapter will briefly review culture methodologies but will primarily focus on hallmark hepatocyte structural, expression and functional markers that characterize the differentiation status of the hepatocyte. ..
- Zhang Y, Wray A, Ross A. Perinatal exposure to vitamin A differentially regulates chondrocyte growth and the expression of aggrecan and matrix metalloprotein genes in the femur of neonatal rats. J Nutr. 2012;142:649-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that moderately high maternal VA intake combined with neonatal VARA supplementation can reduce the ratio of aggrecan:MMP, which may unfavorably alter early bone development. ..
- Xiao Y, Huang X, Van Wert S, Barreto E, Wu J, Gluckman B, et al. The role of inhibition in oscillatory wave dynamics in the cortex. Eur J Neurosci. 2012;36:2201-12 pubmed publisher..These results are illustrative of how GABAergic inhibition increases the complexity of patterns of activity and contributes to the regulation of the cortex. ..
- Fisher K, Aronson N. Isolation and sequence analysis of a cDNA encoding rat liver alpha-L-fucosidase. Biochem J. 1989;264:695-701 pubmed..The coding sequence from FC9 showed 82% sequence identity with that from a previously reported incomplete human fucosidase sequence [O'Brien, Willems, Fukushima, de Wet, Darby, DiCioccio, Fowler & Shows, (1987) Enzyme 38, 45-53]. ..
- Aronson N, Backes M, Kuranda M. Rat liver chitobiase: purification, properties, and role in the lysosomal degradation of Asn-linked glycoproteins. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1989;272:290-300 pubmed
- Hernandez D, Stroh J, Phillips A. Identification of Ser143 as the site of modification in the active site of histidine ammonia-lyase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993;307:126-32 pubmed..Ser143 represents the binding site for an electrophilic cofactor required for histidase activity. ..
- Fedele M, Lang C, Farrell P. Immunization against IGF-I prevents increases in protein synthesis in diabetic rats after resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001;280:E877-85 pubmed..01), but not nondiabetic, rats. These results suggest that IGF-I is compensatory for insulin in hypoinsulinemic rats by facilitating an anabolic response after acute resistance exercise...
- Mattioni B, Jurs P. Prediction of dihydrofolate reductase inhibition and selectivity using computational neural networks and linear discriminant analysis. J Mol Graph Model. 2003;21:391-419 pubmed..A set of new nitrogen and oxygen-specific descriptors were developed especially for this data set to better encode structural features, which are believed to directly influence DHFR inhibition and selectivity. ..
- Yeh Y, Yeh S. Homocysteine-lowering action is another potential cardiovascular protective factor of aged garlic extract. J Nutr. 2006;136:745S-749S pubmed publisher..More importantly, in addition to its cholesterol-lowering potential, blood pressure-lowering effect, and antioxidant property, a hypohomocysteinemic action may be another important cardiovascular protective factor of AGE. ..
- Qi J, Yao J, Fang C, Luscher B, Chen G. Downregulation of tonic GABA currents following epileptogenic stimulation of rat hippocampal cultures. J Physiol. 2006;577:579-90 pubmed..Thus, in addition to synaptic alteration of GABAergic transmission, regulation of tonic inhibition may also play an important role during epileptogenesis. ..
- Swartz T, Hajnal A, Covasa M. Altered orosensory sensitivity to oils in CCK-1 receptor deficient rats. Physiol Behav. 2010;99:109-17 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results show that increased oil intake in OLETF rats is driven by both peripheral deficits to satiation and altered orosensory sensitivity. ..
- Mohamed W, Hamida S, de Vasconcelos A, Cassel J, Jones B. Interactions between 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine and ethanol in humans and rodents. Neuropsychobiology. 2009;60:188-94 pubmed publisher..In this short review, we focus on the known interactions between MDMA and EtOH in humans and rodents. ..
- Abidian M, Daneshvar E, Egeland B, Kipke D, Cederna P, Urbanchek M. Hybrid conducting polymer-hydrogel conduits for axonal growth and neural tissue engineering. Adv Healthc Mater. 2012;1:762-7 pubmed publisher..PEDOT is electrodeposited inside the lumen to create fully coated-PEDOT agarose conduits and partially coated-PEDOT agarose conduits...
- Sun C, Zhang L, Chen G. An unexpected role of neuroligin-2 in regulating KCC2 and GABA functional switch. Mol Brain. 2013;6:23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NL2 may serve as a master regulator in balancing excitation and inhibition in the brain...
- Lipowsky H, Lescanic A. The effect of doxycycline on shedding of the glycocalyx due to reactive oxygen species. Microvasc Res. 2013;90:80-5 pubmed publisher..Thus it is suggested that the efficacy of doxycycline as an inhibitor of glycan shedding during inflammation arises from its ability to inhibit MMP activation. ..
- Lai H, Qian B, Grove G, Tu C. Gene expression of rat glutathione S-transferases. Evidence for gene conversion in the evolution of the Yb multigene family. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:11389-95 pubmed..Three out of the seven introns between the two genes are conserved to the extent of more than 88% nucleotide identity. We propose that gene conversion may have played a role in the evolution of these Yb genes. ..
- Tu C, Qian B. Nucleotide sequence of the human liver glutathione S-transferase subunit 1 cDNA. Biochem Soc Trans. 1987;15:734-6 pubmed
- Lipowsky H, Scott D, Cartmell J. Leukocyte rolling velocity and its relation to leukocyte-endothelium adhesion and cell deformability. Am J Physiol. 1996;270:H1371-80 pubmed..It is thus concluded that the apparent plateau in VWBC vs. gamma arises due to the heterogeneity of adhesive and/or deformability properties in the ensemble population of circulating WBCs...
- Gerena R, Irikura D, Urade Y, Eguchi N, Chapman D, Killian G. Identification of a fertility-associated protein in bull seminal plasma as lipocalin-type prostaglandin D synthase. Biol Reprod. 1998;58:826-33 pubmed..Although we do not yet know the role of lipocalin-type PGD synthase in the male genital tract, we speculate that this protein may play an important role in both the development and the maturation of sperm. ..
- Zolfaghari R, Wang Y, Chen Q, Sancher A, Ross A. Cloning and molecular expression analysis of large and small lecithin:retinol acyltransferase mRNAs in the liver and other tissues of adult rats. Biochem J. 2002;368:621-31 pubmed..The differential usage of these polyadenylation signals can explain the presence of multiple LRAT mRNA transcripts which are expressed in different tissue-specific patterns. ..
- De Jonghe B, Hajnal A, Covasa M. Increased oral and decreased intestinal sensitivity to sucrose in obese, prediabetic CCK-A receptor-deficient OLETF rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;288:R292-300 pubmed..This enhanced responsiveness to oral stimulation, coupled with the deficit in responding to the postingestive feedback of intestinal sucrose, may contribute additively to the development of hyperphagia and weight gain in OLETF rats...
- Veeramachaneni V, Makalowski W. DED: Database of Evolutionary Distances. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:D442-6 pubmed..The database is available at http://warta.bio.psu.edu/DED/. ..
- Beard J, Wiesinger J, Jones B. Cellular iron concentrations directly affect the expression levels of norepinephrine transporter in PC12 cells and rat brain tissue. Brain Res. 2006;1092:47-58 pubmed
- Dong N, Qi J, Chen G. Molecular reconstitution of functional GABAergic synapses with expression of neuroligin-2 and GABAA receptors. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:14-23 pubmed..These results suggest that NL-2 may potentially serve as a central organizer for GABAergic synapse assembly by interacting with both presynaptic neurexins and postsynaptic GABA(A) receptors. ..
- Wu L, Ross A. Acidic retinoids synergize with vitamin A to enhance retinol uptake and STRA6, LRAT, and CYP26B1 expression in neonatal lung. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:378-87 pubmed publisher..However, the pronounced and prolonged induction of CYP26B1 by Am580 may counteract lung RE accumulation after the absorption process is completed. ..
- Qian L, Zolfaghari R, Ross A. Liver-specific cytochrome P450 CYP2C22 is a direct target of retinoic acid and a retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme in rat liver. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1781-92 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate that CYP2C22 is a high-abundance, retinoid-inducible, hepatic P450 with the potential to metabolize at-RA, providing additional insight into the role of the CYP2C gene family in retinoid homeostasis. ..
- Zhang Y, Ross A. Retinoic acid and the transcription factor MafB act together and differentially to regulate aggrecan and matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in neonatal chondrocytes. J Cell Biochem. 2013;114:471-9 pubmed publisher..These results support a role for MafB as a regulator of chondrocyte gene expression and matrix formation via control of aggrecan, MMP3 and MMP13 expression, and indicate an important role for RA in the regulation of MafB. ..
- Fisher K, Aronson N. Cloning and expression of the cDNA sequence encoding the lysosomal glycosidase di-N-acetylchitobiase. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:19607-16 pubmed
- Tollersrud O, Aronson N. Comparison of liver glycosylasparaginases from six vertebrates. Biochem J. 1992;282 ( Pt 3):891-7 pubmed..5 and 6 except for the rat and mouse enzymes which had a broad maximum between pH 7 and 8. A number of other properties were observed which also distinguish the enzyme from individual and closely related species. ..
- deJong J, Chang C, Whang Peng J, Knutsen T, Tu C. The human liver glutathione S-transferase gene superfamily: expression and chromosome mapping of an Hb subunit cDNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:8541-54 pubmed..Results from many laboratories, including ours, indicate that the human glutathione S-transferases are encoded by a gene superfamily which is located on at least two different chromosomes. ..
- Fedele M, Vary T, Farrell P. Selected Contribution: IGF-I antibody prevents increases in protein synthesis in epitrochlearis muscles from refed, diabetic rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001;90:1166-73; discussion 1165 pubmed..These data suggest that immune neutralization of muscle IGF-I in hypoinsulinemic rats negated the ability of endogenous IGF-I to promote protein synthesis and thereby prevented an appropriate anabolic response...
- Han J, Day J, Connor J, Beard J. Gene expression of transferrin and transferrin receptor in brains of control vs. iron-deficient rats. Nutr Neurosci. 2003;6:1-10 pubmed..This capacity may be associated with increased iron-Tf uptake from plasma, stabilization of TfR mRNA, or increased Tf mRNA translation efficiency in specific cell types within the brain. ..
- Price M, Lang M, Frank A, Goetting Minesky M, Patel S, Silviera M, et al. Seven cDNAs enriched following hippocampal lesion: possible roles in neuronal responses to injury. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003;117:58-67 pubmed..The discovery of previously unknown genes involved in the response to neurodegeneration will contribute to our understanding of neural development, responses to CNS trauma, and neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Hunter J, Kostyak J, Novotny J, Simpson A, Korzick D. Estrogen deficiency decreases ischemic tolerance in the aged rat heart: Roles of PKCdelta, PKCepsilon, Akt, and GSK3beta. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R800-9 pubmed
- Jiang T, Bell D, Clode S, Fan M, Fernandes A, Foster P, et al. A truncation in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor of the CRL:WI(Han) rat does not affect the developmental toxicity of TCDD. Toxicol Sci. 2009;107:512-21 pubmed publisher..These data show that the two AhR alleles are common in two strains of Wistar rat, and that the AhR alleles had no effect on TCDD-induced developmental toxicity in two independent studies. ..
- Law M, Morales J, Mottram L, Iyer A, Peterson B, August A. Structural requirements for the inhibition of calcium mobilization and mast cell activation by the pyrazole derivative BTP2. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011;43:1228-39 pubmed publisher..We conclude that BTP2 and related compounds may be potent modulators of mast cell responses and potentially useful for the treatment of symptoms of allergic inflammation. ..
- deJong J, Morgenstern R, Jornvall H, DePierre J, Tu C. Gene expression of rat and human microsomal glutathione S-transferases. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:8430-6 pubmed..The rat and human microsomal GSTs show 95% conservation in amino acids. Several lines of evidence suggest that neither transcript contains a membrane-directing cleavable signal sequence. ..