Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on predictive value of tests in Miami, Florida, United States
Locale: Miami, Florida, United States
Topic: predictive value of tests
- Mwanza J, Durbin M, Budenz D, Sayyad F, Chang R, Neelakantan A, et al. Glaucoma diagnostic accuracy of ganglion cell-inner plexiform layer thickness: comparison with nerve fiber layer and optic nerve head. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1151-8 pubmed publisher..Proprietary or commercial disclosure may be found after the references. ..
- Bancalari E, Claure N. Definitions and diagnostic criteria for bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol. 2006;30:164-70 pubmed..In view of all these shortcomings, it is essential to develop more objective physiologic tools to define the degree of lung damage and improve the prediction for long-term outcome in these infants. ..
- Zipfel G, Bradshaw P, Bova F, Friedman W. Do the morphological characteristics of arteriovenous malformations affect the results of radiosurgery?. J Neurosurg. 2004;101:393-401 pubmed..A strong correlation between CT scanning and angiography in the assessment of AVM structure was demonstrated. ..
- Rundek T, Arif H, Boden Albala B, Elkind M, Paik M, Sacco R. Carotid plaque, a subclinical precursor of vascular events: the Northern Manhattan Study. Neurology. 2008;70:1200-7 pubmed publisher..Maximum carotid plaque thickness may be a simple and nonexpensive tool to assist with vascular risk stratification in preventive strategies and a surrogate endpoint in clinical trials. ..
- Hershberger R, Cowan J, Morales A, Siegfried J. Progress with genetic cardiomyopathies: screening, counseling, and testing in dilated, hypertrophic, and arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Circ Heart Fail. 2009;2:253-61 pubmed publisher..Genetic counseling is also indicated for patients and their family members regarding the symptoms of their cardiomyopathy, its inheritance pattern, family screening recommendations, and genetic testing options and possible results. ..
- Tamariz L, Harkins T, Nair V. A systematic review of validated methods for identifying venous thromboembolism using administrative and claims data. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012;21 Suppl 1:154-62 pubmed publisher..The use of ICD-9 415, 451, and 453 are appropriate for the identification of VTE in claims databases. The codes performed best when codes were evaluated in patients at higher risk of VTE. ..
- Tamariz L, Palacio A, Denizard J, Schulman Y, Contreras G. The use of claims data algorithms to recruit eligible participants into clinical trials. Am J Manag Care. 2015;21:e114-8 pubmed..The algorithm to identify elderly patients with hypertension and without diabetes or stroke is a useful tool to also identify eligible patients for clinical trial participation. ..
- WiderstrÃ¶m Noga E, Pattany P, Cruz Almeida Y, Felix E, Pérez S, Cardenas D, et al. Metabolite concentrations in the anterior cingulate cortex predict high neuropathic pain impact after spinal cord injury. Pain. 2013;154:204-12 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the Glx/Ins ratio may be a useful biomarker for severe SCI-related neuropathic pain with significant psychosocial impact. ..
- Luebke A, Foster P. Variation in inter-animal susceptibility to noise damage is associated with alpha 9 acetylcholine receptor subunit expression level. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4241-7 pubmed..Therefore, the inter-animal variability in the alpha9-containing acetylcholine receptor expression may be one mechanism contributing to the inter-animal variability in acoustic injury. ..
- Hustace T, Fleisher J, Sanchez Varela A, Podda A, Alvarez O. Increased prevalence of false positive hemoglobinopathy newborn screening in premature infants. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011;57:1039-43 pubmed publisher..We speculate that abnormal hemoglobins may precede the development of hemoglobin A during fetal life. ..
- Davis J, Miller D, Ruiz P. Diagnostic testing of vitrectomy specimens. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:822-829 pubmed..To assess the usefulness of diagnostic tests that are performed on vitrectomy specimens from patients with suspected lymphoma or infection...
- Papapetropoulos S, Farrer M, Stone J, Milkovic N, Ross O, Calvo L, et al. Phenotypic associations of tau and ApoE in Parkinson's disease. Neurosci Lett. 2007;414:141-4 pubmed..Better determination of subsets of PD patients based upon the presence of specific phenotypic features may improve the accuracy of association studies. ..
- Iremashvili V, Pelaez L, Manoharan M, Jorda M, Rosenberg D, Soloway M. Pathologic prostate cancer characteristics in patients eligible for active surveillance: a head-to-head comparison of contemporary protocols. Eur Urol. 2012;62:462-8 pubmed publisher..These differences should be taken into account when making treatment choices in patients with low-risk prostate cancer. ..
- Lizarraga K, Allen Auerbach M, Czernin J, DeSalles A, Yong W, Phelps M, et al. (18)F-FDOPA PET for differentiating recurrent or progressive brain metastatic tumors from late or delayed radiation injury after radiation treatment. J Nucl Med. 2014;55:30-6 pubmed publisher..A visual score comparing tumor (18)F-FDOPA uptake and striatum (18)F-FDOPA uptake provided the highest sensitivity and specificity and was predictive of disease progression. ..
- Jorda M, Ghorab Z, Fernandez G, Nassiri M, Hanly A, Nadji M. Low nuclear proliferative activity is associated with nonmetastatic islet cell tumors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:196-9 pubmed
- Widerstrom Noga E, Cruz Almeida Y, Krassioukov A. Is there a relationship between chronic pain and autonomic dysreflexia in persons with cervical spinal cord injury?. J Neurotrauma. 2004;21:195-204 pubmed..Since multiple pain types are common after SCI and may be associated with AD, it is important to determine which pain types that may be particularly important for the condition of AD...
- Kramer M, Golshani R, Merseburger A, Knapp J, Garcia A, Hennenlotter J, et al. HYAL-1 hyaluronidase: a potential prognostic indicator for progression to muscle invasion and recurrence in bladder cancer. Eur Urol. 2010;57:86-93 pubmed publisher..001; 76.8% accuracy) and recurrence (p=0.01; 67.8% accuracy). HYAL-1 is a potential prognostic marker for predicting progression to muscle invasion and recurrence. ..
- Harper T, Miller D, Schiffman J, Davis J. Polymerase chain reaction analysis of aqueous and vitreous specimens in the diagnosis of posterior segment infectious uveitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;147:140-147.e2 pubmed publisher..To assess polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analysis of intraocular fluid as a test for infectious uveitis of the posterior segment in a representative patient population...
- Crouser E, Parrillo J, Seymour C, Angus D, Bicking K, Tejidor L, et al. Improved Early Detection of Sepsis in the ED With a Novel Monocyte Distribution Width Biomarker. Chest. 2017;152:518-526 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT02232750; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Bhatt A, Al Hakim R, Benenati J. Techniques and Devices for Catheter-Directed Therapy in Pulmonary Embolism. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017;20:185-192 pubmed publisher..This article describes available devices and endovascular techniques used to treat patients with massive and submassive acute PE...
- Raij L, Gonzalez Ochoa A. Vascular compliance in blood pressure. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2011;20:457-64 pubmed publisher..It remains to be established whether ?-blockers with vasodilator properties could improve the assessment of vascular compliance. ..
- Iorns E, Hnatyszyn H, Seo P, Clarke J, Ward T, Lippman M. The role of SATB1 in breast cancer pathogenesis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:1284-96 pubmed publisher..80, 95% confidence interval = 0.62 to 1.03, P = .10). In contrast to previous studies, we found that SATB1 expression did not promote breast cancer progression and was not associated with breast cancer outcome. ..
- Maschinski J, Baggs J, Quintana Ascencio P, Menges E. Using population viability analysis to predict the effects of climate change on the extinction risk of an endangered limestone endemic shrub, Arizona cliffrose. Conserv Biol. 2006;20:218-28 pubmed..Global warming conditions are likely to reduce the carrying capacity of many rare species' habitats. ..
- Isakova T, Wahl P, Vargas G, GUTIERREZ O, Scialla J, Xie H, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 23 is elevated before parathyroid hormone and phosphate in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2011;79:1370-8 pubmed publisher..Hence, FGF23 measurements may be a sensitive early biomarker of disordered phosphorus metabolism in patients with CKD and normal serum phosphate levels. ..
- Green R, Gu X, Kline Rogers E, Froehlich J, Mace P, Gray B, et al. Differences between the pediatric and adult presentation of fibromuscular dysplasia: results from the US Registry. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:641-50 pubmed publisher..In children, FMD most commonly affects the renal vasculature, but also frequently involves the mesenteric arteries and abdominal aorta; the carotid vessels are less frequently involved. ..
- Koshenkov V, Koru Sengul T, Franceschi D, Dipasco P, Rodgers S. Predictors of incidental gallbladder cancer in patients undergoing cholecystectomy for benign gallbladder disease. J Surg Oncol. 2013;107:118-23 pubmed publisher..Discovery of incidental gallbladder cancer (IGC) has become more frequent due to adoption of laparoscopy. Gallbladder spillage during operation can disseminate cancer and worsen the prognosis...
- Isakova T, Xie H, Barchi Chung A, Vargas G, Sowden N, Houston J, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 23 in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6:2688-95 pubmed publisher..FGF23 may be a more stable marker of phosphate metabolism in ESRD than PTH or serum phosphate. ..
- Civantos F, Zitsch R, Schuller D, Agrawal A, Smith R, Nason R, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy accurately stages the regional lymph nodes for T1-T2 oral squamous cell carcinomas: results of a prospective multi-institutional trial. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:1395-400 pubmed publisher..For T1 or T2 N0 oral squamous cell carcinoma, SLNB with step sectioning and immunohistochemistry, performed by surgeons of mixed experience levels, correctly predicted a pathologically negative neck in 96% of patients (NPV, 96%). ..
- Alvarez A, Lokeshwar V. Bladder cancer biomarkers: current developments and future implementation. Curr Opin Urol. 2007;17:341-6 pubmed..Biomarkers for bladder cancer have been intensively scrutinized over the last decade, but despite new findings and good performance characteristics, they are currently not accepted in clinical practice. ..
- Hallal A, Amortegui J, Jeroukhimov I, Casillas J, Schulman C, Manning R, et al. Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography accurately detects common bile duct stones in resolving gallstone pancreatitis. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;200:869-75 pubmed..Patients with resolving gallstone pancreatitis and a negative MRCP do not need preoperative ERCP or IOC. Only patients with a positive MRCP will require preoperative ERCP. ..
- Willens H, Nelson K, Hendel R. Appropriate use criteria for stress echocardiography: impact of updated criteria on appropriateness ratings, correlation with pre-authorization guidelines, and effect of temporal trends and an educational initiative on utilization. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;6:297-309 pubmed publisher..The limited correlation between AUC ratings and RBM determinations suggests a need for greater consistency. The large number of SE requested for inappropriate indications at our institution did not decrease with time or education. ..
- Wang M, Pineiro G, Mummaneni P. Stimulus-evoked electromyography testing of percutaneous pedicle screws for the detection of pedicle breaches: a clinical study of 409 screws in 93 patients. J Neurosurg Spine. 2010;13:600-5 pubmed publisher..Imaging-based modalities remain more reliable for assessing percutaneous pedicle screw trajectories until more robust and sensitive electrophysiological testing methods can be devised. ..