Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mucins in Miami, Florida, United States
Locale: Miami, Florida, United States
- Jepson S, Komatsu M, Haq B, Arango M, Huang D, Carraway C, et al. Muc4/sialomucin complex, the intramembrane ErbB2 ligand, induces specific phosphorylation of ErbB2 and enhances expression of p27(kip), but does not activate mitogen-activated kinase or protein kinaseB/Akt pathways. Oncogene. 2002;21:7524-32 pubmed
- Komatsu M, Tatum L, Altman N, Carothers Carraway C, Carraway K. Potentiation of metastasis by cell surface sialomucin complex (rat MUC4), a multifunctional anti-adhesive glycoprotein. Int J Cancer. 2000;87:480-6 pubmed..These studies directly demonstrate for the first time that tumor metastasis can be modulated by the regulation of MUC4/SMC expression. ..
- Carraway K, Carvajal M, Li P, Carraway C. ErbB2 and its ligand Muc4 (sialomucin complex) in rat lacrimal gland. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;506:289-95 pubmed..The nature of those signals and the cell functions they regulate will be subjects for future investigations. ..
- Wasserberg N, Salgar S, Yang D, Ruiz P, Ho S, De Faria W, et al. Expression of MUC2 and MUC4 proteins and cytokines: early markers of intestinal graft rejection. Transplantation. 2003;75:1249-55 pubmed..Early transplant rejection is associated with increased MUC2, MUC4, IFN-gamma, and TNF-alpha expression. These markers combined with HP may assist in the diagnosis of early intestinal graft rejection. ..
- Hu Y, Haq B, Carraway K, Savaraj N, Lampidis T. Multidrug resistance correlates with overexpression of Muc4 but inversely with P-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance related protein in transfected human melanoma cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2003;65:1419-25 pubmed..Overall, these results indicate that although Muc4(+) cells express less MDR1 and MRP1, they are more resistant to drugs recognized by these transporters. ..
- Ramsauer V, Carraway C, Salas P, Carraway K. Muc4/sialomucin complex, the intramembrane ErbB2 ligand, translocates ErbB2 to the apical surface in polarized epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:30142-7 pubmed..The ability of Muc4/SMC to alter the localization of ErbB2, particularly a phosphorylated form of it, in epithelial cells, suggests that it has an important role in regulating ErbB2 signaling. ..
- Soto P, Zhang J, Carraway K. Enzymatic cleavage as a processing step in the maturation of Muc4/sialomucin complex. J Cell Biochem. 2006;97:1267-74 pubmed..These results indicate that the two mucins can be processed by cleavage at the same peptide site by different mechanisms. ..
- Ramsauer V, Pino V, Farooq A, Carothers Carraway C, Salas P, Carraway K. Muc4-ErbB2 complex formation and signaling in polarized CACO-2 epithelial cells indicate that Muc4 acts as an unorthodox ligand for ErbB2. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2931-41 pubmed..The ability of Muc4 to segregate ErbB2 and other ErbB receptors and to alter downstream signaling cascades in polarized epithelial cells suggests that it has a role in regulating ErbB2 in differentiated epithelia. ..
- Perez A, Barco R, Fernandez I, Price Schiavi S, Carraway K. PEA3 transactivates the Muc4/sialomucin complex promoter in mammary epithelial and tumor cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36942-52 pubmed..These data suggest that expression of PEA3 in mammary tumors leads to up-regulation of Muc4/SMC transcription, the gene product of which may contribute to the metastatic potential of mammary tumors. ..
- Weed D, Gomez Fernandez C, Yasin M, Hamilton Nelson K, Rodriguez M, Zhang J, et al. MUC4 and ErbB2 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract: correlation with clinical outcomes. Laryngoscope. 2004;114:1-32 pubmed..The hypotheses of the study were that MUC4 expression would correlate with ErbB2 expression and that MUC4 expression would correlate with clinical outcomes in squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract...
- Zhu X, Price Schiavi S, Carraway K. Extracellular regulated kinase (ERK)-dependent regulation of sialomucin complex/rat Muc4 in mammary epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2000;19:4354-61 pubmed..These results suggest that expression of SMC/Muc4 in mammary epithelial cells is regulated by selected growth factors through an ERK-dependent pathway at the transcript level. ..
- Price Schiavi S, Andrechek E, Idris N, Li P, Rong M, Zhang J, et al. Expression, location, and interactions of ErbB2 and its intramembrane ligand Muc4 (sialomucin complex) in rat mammary gland during pregnancy. J Cell Physiol. 2005;203:44-53 pubmed..These data provide further evidence of the ability of Muc4/SMC to interact with ErbB2 and influence its behavior in normal epithelia. ..
- Casalino Matsuda S, Monzon M, Forteza R. Epidermal growth factor receptor activation by epidermal growth factor mediates oxidant-induced goblet cell metaplasia in human airway epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006;34:581-91 pubmed..The data also suggest that increases in GC population could be sustained by the associated upregulation of Bcl-2 in airway epithelial cells. ..
- Rossi E, McNeer R, Price Schiavi S, Van den Brande J, Komatsu M, Thompson J, et al. Sialomucin complex, a heterodimeric glycoprotein complex. Expression as a soluble, secretable form in lactating mammary gland and colon. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:33476-85 pubmed
- Zhang J, Carraway C, Carraway K. Muc4 expression during blood vessel formation in damaged rat cornea. Curr Eye Res. 2006;31:1011-4 pubmed..Muc4 expression was limited at days 4-5, but extensive at days 7-10. Muc4 expression develops in endothelial cells during the mid-stages of cell aggregation and blood vessel formation. ..
- Price Schiavi S, Carraway C, Fregien N, Carraway K. Post-transcriptional regulation of a milk membrane protein, the sialomucin complex (Ascites sialoglycoprotein (ASGP)-1/ASGP-2, rat muc4), by transforming growth factor beta. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:35228-37 pubmed..These results indicate that SMC is a novel product of normal mammary gland and milk, which is post-transcriptionally regulated by transforming growth factor beta in normal mammary gland, but not in 13762 mammary adenocarcinoma cells. ..
- Lomako J, Lomako W, Decker S, Carraway C, Carraway K. Non-apoptotic desquamation of cells from corneal epithelium: putative role for Muc4/sialomucin complex in cell release and survival. J Cell Physiol. 2005;202:115-24 pubmed..Desquamating cells also exhibit a high level of Muc4/SMC. Since Muc4/SMC has been shown to be a potent anti-adhesive and a repressor of apoptosis, we propose that it plays a role in the non-apoptotic desquamation process. ..