Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Miami, Florida, United States
Locale: Miami, Florida, United States
Publications120 found, 100 shown here
- Tashiro J, Wagenaar A, Perez E, Sola J. Peritoneal drainage is associated with higher survival rates for necrotizing enterocolitis in premature, extremely low birth weight infants. J Surg Res. 2017;218:132-138 pubmed publisher..e., stability influencing management preference). ..
- Minnerop M, Kurzwelly D, Wagner H, Soehn A, Reichbauer J, Tao F, et al. Hypomorphic mutations in POLR3A are a frequent cause of sporadic and recessive spastic ataxia. Brain. 2017;140:1561-1578 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results demonstrate that substantial progress in revealing the causes of Mendelian diseases can be made by exploring the non-coding sequences of the human genome. ..
- Tiesi G, Park W, Gunder M, Rubio G, Berger M, Ardalan B, et al. Long-term survival based on pathologic response to neoadjuvant therapy in esophageal cancer. J Surg Res. 2017;216:65-72 pubmed publisher..Adding neoadjuvant radiation may enhance complete response rates but does not appear to be associated with improved survival. ..
- Lipshultz S, Wilkinson J, Thompson B, Cheng I, Briston D, Shearer W, et al. Cardiac Effects of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy in Perinatally HIV-Infected Children: The CHAART-2 Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:2240-2247 pubmed publisher..Evidence-based strategies for cardiovascular monitoring are needed to inform treatment decisions to improve long-term cardiovascular health. ..
- Wilson N, Gurney M, Dietrich W, Atkins C. Therapeutic benefits of phosphodiesterase 4B inhibition after traumatic brain injury. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178013 pubmed publisher..This treatment paradigm also reduced cortical, but not hippocampal, atrophy. Overall, these results suggest that acute PDE4B inhibition may be a viable treatment to reduce inflammation, pathology and memory deficits after TBI. ..
- Aung T, Ozaki M, Lee M, Schlötzer Schrehardt U, Thorleifsson G, Mizoguchi T, et al. Genetic association study of exfoliation syndrome identifies a protective rare variant at LOXL1 and five new susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2017;49:993-1004 pubmed publisher..3 (TMEM136), 6p21 (AGPAT1), 3p24 (RBMS3) and 5q23 (near SEMA6A). These findings provide biological insights into the pathology of XFS and highlight a potential role for naturally occurring rare LOXL1 variants in disease biology. ..
- Jackson T, Boyer D, Brown D, Chaudhry N, Elman M, Liang C, et al. Oral Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:761-767 pubmed publisher..X-82 is an oral tyrosine kinase inhibitor active against vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived growth factor...
- Tseng V, Kim C, Romero P, Yu F, Robertson Brown K, Phung L, et al. Risk Factors and Long-Term Outcomes in Patients with Low Intraocular Pressure after Trabeculectomy. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1457-1465 pubmed publisher..008). The absence of laser suture lysis and surgeon are factors potentially associated with low IOP after trabeculectomy. Numeric hypotony does not necessarily represent clinical failure after trabeculectomy. ..
- Law T, Rosas S, Hubbard Z, Chieng L, Chim H. Trends in open and endoscopic carpal tunnel release utilization in the Medicare patient population. J Surg Res. 2017;214:9-13 pubmed publisher..ECTR is growing faster than OCTR in the Medicare population. Contrary to previous literature, our study shows that ECTR had lower charges and reimbursed at a higher rate than OCTR. ..
- Pang H, Cataldi M, Allseits E, Ward Peterson M, de la Vega P, Castro G, et al. Examining the association between possessing a regular source of healthcare and adherence with cancer screenings among Haitian households in Little Haiti, Miami-Dade County, Florida. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7706 pubmed publisher..Targeted approaches to improving access to regular care may improve adherence to cancer screening adherence among this unique immigrant population. ..
- Hanna D, Xu S, Melamed M, Gonzalez F, Allison M, Bilsker M, et al. Association of Albuminuria With Cardiac Dysfunction in US Hispanics/Latinos. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:2073-2080 pubmed publisher..Screening and detection of even high-normal UACR could be of value to guide cardiovascular disease prevention efforts among Hispanic/Latino Americans. ..
- Cao W, Kayama H, Chen M, Delmas A, Sun A, Kim S, et al. The Xenobiotic Transporter Mdr1 Enforces T Cell Homeostasis in the Presence of Intestinal Bile Acids. Immunity. 2017;47:1182-1196.e10 pubmed publisher..Further, a subset of ileal Crohn's disease patients displayed MDR1 loss of function. Together, these results suggest that coordinated interaction between mucosal Teff cells and CBAs in the ileum regulate intestinal immune homeostasis. ..
- Yazici G, Kiratli H, Ozyigit G, Sari S, Cengiz M, Tarlan B, et al. Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Uveal Melanoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:152-158 pubmed publisher..The radiation therapy dose is of great importance for local control and eye retention; the best treatment outcome was achieved using â‰¥45Â Gy in 3 fractions. ..
- Muffly L, Pasquini M, Martens M, Brazauskas R, Zhu X, Adekola K, et al. Increasing use of allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in patients aged 70 years and older in the United States. Blood. 2017;130:1156-1164 pubmed publisher..0002) as adverse factors. Over the past decade, utilization and survival after allogeneic transplant have increased in patients ?70 years. Select adults ?70 years with hematologic malignancies should be considered for transplant. ..
- Karki K, Saraiya S, Hugo G, Mukhopadhyay N, Jan N, Schuster J, et al. Variabilities of Magnetic Resonance Imaging-, Computed Tomography-, and Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography-Based Tumor and Lymph Node Delineations for Lung Cancer Radiation Therapy Planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:80-89 pubmed publisher..Multimodality imaging and combining different imaging characteristics might be the best approach to define the tumor volume most accurately. ..
- Guy J, Feuer W, Davis J, Porciatti V, Gonzalez P, Koilkonda R, et al. Gene Therapy for Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy: Low- and Medium-Dose Visual Results. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1621-1634 pubmed publisher..Allotopic gene therapy for LHON at low and medium doses seems to be safe and does not damage the temporal retinal nerve fiber layer, opening the door next for testing of the high dose. ..
- Klingbeil K, Greenland C, Arslan S, Llamos Paneque A, Gurkan H, Demir Ulusal S, et al. Novel EYA1 variants causing Branchio-oto-renal syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:59-63 pubmed publisher..A variety of DNA changes including large deletions underlie BOR syndrome in different populations, which can be detected with comprehensive genetic testing. ..
- Zhang Q, Chen C, Chu Z, Zheng F, Miller A, Roisman L, et al. Automated Quantitation of Choroidal Neovascularization: A Comparison Study Between Spectral-Domain and Swept-Source OCT Angiograms. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1506-1513 pubmed publisher..On average, automated SS-OCTA measurements were larger than SD-OCTA measurements and consistent with the results from using hand-drawn measurements. ..
- Mohamed S, Johnson G, Chen P, Hicks P, Davis L, Yoon J, et al. Effect of Antidepressant Switching vs Augmentation on Remission Among Patients With Major Depressive Disorder Unresponsive to Antidepressant Treatment: The VAST-D Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:132-145 pubmed publisher..Given the small effect size and adverse effects associated with aripiprazole, further analysis including cost-effectiveness is needed to understand the net utility of this approach. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01421342. ..
- Schally A, Block N, Rick F. Discovery of LHRH and development of LHRH analogs for prostate cancer treatment. Prostate. 2017;77:1036-1054 pubmed publisher..The endeavor to develop better therapies for prostate cancer, based on LHRH analogs, guided much of our work. ..
- Perez E, Tapanes S, Loris Z, Balu D, Sick T, Coyle J, et al. Enhanced astrocytic d-serine underlies synaptic damage after traumatic brain injury. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3114-3125 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the enhanced tonic release of d-serine from astrocytes after TBI underlies much of the synaptic damage associated with brain injury. ..
- Magnani D, Silveira C, Ricciardi M, Gonzalez Nieto L, Pedreño Lopez N, Bailey V, et al. Potent Plasmablast-Derived Antibodies Elicited by the National Institutes of Health Dengue Vaccine. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the isolation of potent (Neut50 < 0.1 μg/ml) nAbs from a DENV-seropositive volunteer immunized with the tetravalent vaccine Butantan-DV, which is currently in phase III trials. ..
- Keefe R, Davis V, Harvey P, Atkins A, Haig G, Hagino O, et al. Placebo Response and Practice Effects in Schizophrenia Cognition Trials. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:807-814 pubmed publisher..Placebo-controlled trials for cognitive impairment associated with schizophrenia are at risk for these practice effects, which can be difficult to distinguish from placebo effects...
- Miller A, Roisman L, Zhang Q, Zheng F, Rafael de Oliveira Dias J, Yehoshua Z, et al. Comparison Between Spectral-Domain and Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography Angiographic Imaging of Choroidal Neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1499-1505 pubmed publisher..24 and 0.74 mm2 (P = 0.003). The areas of CNV tended to be larger when imaged with SS-OCTA than with SD-OCTA, and this difference was greater for the 6 × 6-mm2 scans. ..
- Kunkle B, Vardarajan B, Naj A, Whitehead P, Rolati S, Slifer S, et al. Early-Onset Alzheimer Disease and Candidate Risk Genes Involved in Endolysosomal Transport. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1113-1122 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study identified shared risk genes between EOAD and LOAD similar to previously reported genes, such as SORL1, PSEN2, and TREM2. ..
- Gerth Kahlert C, Tiwari A, Hanson J, Batmanabane V, Traboulsi E, Pennesi M, et al. C2orf71 Mutations as a Frequent Cause of Autosomal-Recessive Retinitis Pigmentosa: Clinical Analysis and Presentation of 8 Novel Mutations. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3840-3850 pubmed publisher..The phenotype analysis over a wide age range showed a variable and progressive retinal degeneration with early onset maculopathy and a better visual potential before the age of 30 years. ..
- Bosi E, Boulware D, Becker D, Buckner J, Geyer S, Gottlieb P, et al. Impact of Age and Antibody Type on Progression From Single to Multiple Autoantibodies in Type 1 Diabetes Relatives. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2881-2886 pubmed publisher..These differences have important implications for monitoring these patients and for designing prevention trials. ..
- Greenberg M, Osigian C, Cavuoto K, Chang T. Clinical management outcomes of childhood glaucoma suspects. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185546 pubmed publisher..While suspects who converted to glaucoma had higher average, maximum and minimum IOP measurements, there is no clear cutoff between the groups. ..
- Dorland H, Abma F, Roelen C, Stewart R, Amick B, Ranchor A, et al. Work functioning trajectories in cancer patients: Results from the longitudinal Work Life after Cancer (WOLICA) study. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:1751-1762 pubmed publisher..This knowledge has implications for cancer care and guidance of cancer patients at work. ..
- Cengiz F, Yilmazer R, Olgun L, Sennaroglu L, Kirazli T, Alper H, et al. Novel pathogenic variants underlie SLC26A4-related hearing loss in a multiethnic cohort. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;101:167-171 pubmed publisher..The p.N558S variant was detected in two unrelated Mexican families. A range of SLC26A4 variants without a common recurrent mutation underlies SLC26A4-related hearing loss in Turkey, Iran, and Mexico. ..
- Koenig S, Dorvil N, Devieux J, Hedt Gauthier B, Riviere C, Faustin M, et al. Same-day HIV testing with initiation of antiretroviral therapy versus standard care for persons living with HIV: A randomized unblinded trial. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002357 pubmed publisher..This study is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov number NCT01900080. ..
- Persad P, Heid I, Weeks D, Baird P, de Jong E, Haines J, et al. Joint Analysis of Nuclear and Mitochondrial Variants in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Identifies Novel Loci TRPM1 and ABHD2/RLBP1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4027-4038 pubmed publisher..0020, OR = 2.17, 95% CI = 1.34-3.60). These results show that joint tests of main effects and gene-gene interaction reveal associations at some novel loci that were missed when considering main effects alone. ..
- Bhatt A, Al Hakim R, Benenati J. Techniques and Devices for Catheter-Directed Therapy in Pulmonary Embolism. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017;20:185-192 pubmed publisher..This article describes available devices and endovascular techniques used to treat patients with massive and submassive acute PE...
- Hamdan F, Myers C, Cossette P, Lemay P, Spiegelman D, Laporte A, et al. High Rate of Recurrent De Novo Mutations in Developmental and Epileptic Encephalopathies. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:664-685 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these DNMs were more frequently recurrent than those identified in ID series. These observations indicate that the genetic landscape of DEE might be different from that of ID without epilepsy. ..
- Al Ali H, Ding Y, Slepak T, Wu W, Sun Y, Martinez Y, et al. The mTOR Substrate S6 Kinase 1 (S6K1) Is a Negative Regulator of Axon Regeneration and a Potential Drug Target for Central Nervous System Injury. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7079-7095 pubmed publisher..We provide mechanistic evidence that S6K1's negative feedback to PI3K signaling is involved in axon growth inhibition, and show that phosphorylation of S6K1 is a more appropriate regeneration indicator than is S6 phosphorylation. ..
- Serban K, Petrusca D, Mikosz A, Poirier C, Lockett A, Saint L, et al. Alpha-1 antitrypsin supplementation improves alveolar macrophages efferocytosis and phagocytosis following cigarette smoke exposure. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176073 pubmed publisher..The amelioration of CS-exposed AM global engulfment may render A1AT as a potential therapy for COPD exacerbations. ..
- Dodhia S, Celis K, Aylward A, Cai Y, Fontana M, Trespalacios A, et al. ACSS2 gene variant associated with cleft lip and palate in two independent Hispanic populations. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:E336-E339 pubmed publisher..1%) in unrelated unaffected individuals. These findings support the role of ACSS2 in NSCLP in two independent Hispanic populations from Honduras and Colombia. NA Laryngoscope, 127:E336-E339, 2017. ..
- Perez V, Leung E, Berrocal A, Albini T, Parel J, Amescua G, et al. Impact of Total Pars Plana Vitrectomy on Postoperative Complications in Aphakic, Snap-On, Type 1 Boston Keratoprosthesis. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1504-1509 pubmed publisher..Eyes that underwent total PPVs during implantation of aphakic, snap-on, type I Boston KPros had less postoperative complications than eyes with partial PPVs or AVs during the average 4 years of follow-up. ..
- Magnani D, Silveira C, Rosen B, Ricciardi M, Pedreño Lopez N, Gutman M, et al. A human inferred germline antibody binds to an immunodominant epitope and neutralizes Zika virus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005655 pubmed publisher..Importantly, binding of this mAb to ZIKV was specifically inhibited by human plasma from ZIKV-exposed individuals, suggesting that it may be of value in a diagnostic setting. ..
- Ranjan N, Story S, Fulcrand G, Leng F, Ahmad M, King A, et al. Selective Inhibition of Escherichia coli RNA and DNA Topoisomerase I by Hoechst 33258 Derived Mono- and Bisbenzimidazoles. J Med Chem. 2017;60:4904-4922 pubmed publisher..2-23.4 °C), and cytotoxicity studies show similar variation dependent upon the side chain length. Modeling studies suggest critical interactions between the inhibitor side chain and amino acids of the active site of DNA topoisomerase I. ..
- Stein E, DiNardo C, Pollyea D, Fathi A, Roboz G, Altman J, et al. Enasidenib in mutant IDH2 relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2017;130:722-731 pubmed publisher..Inducing differentiation of myeloblasts, not cytotoxicity, seems to drive the clinical efficacy of enasidenib. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT01915498...
- Shahgholi L, De Jesus S, Wu S, Pei Q, Hassan A, Armstrong M, et al. Hospitalization and rehospitalization in Parkinson disease patients: Data from the National Parkinson Foundation Centers of Excellence. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180425 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to determine the rate of hospital encounters in a cohort followed over 5 years and to identify associated factors...
- Ng M, Graff M, Lu Y, Justice A, Mudgal P, Liu C, et al. Discovery and fine-mapping of adiposity loci using high density imputation of genome-wide association studies in individuals of African ancestry: African Ancestry Anthropometry Genetics Consortium. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006719 pubmed publisher..Trans-ethnic meta-analyses further improved fine mapping of putative causal variants in loci shared between the African and European ancestry populations. ..
- Pronin A, Wang Q, Slepak V. Teaching an Old Drug New Tricks: Agonism, Antagonism, and Biased Signaling of Pilocarpine through M3 Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;92:601-612 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings show that pilocarpine can act as either an agonist or antagonist of M3R, depending on the cell type, expression level, and signaling pathway downstream of this receptor. ..
- Schuitevoerder D, Leong S, Zager J, White R, Avisar E, Kosiorek H, et al. Is pelvic sentinel node biopsy necessary for lower extremity and trunk melanomas?. Am J Surg. 2017;213:921-925 pubmed publisher..PSLN biopsy is safe, however in the setting of negative SSLNs there is minimal clinical impact. We therefore recommend PSLN biopsy when the SSLNs are positive or when the tumor drains to PSLNs alone. ..
- Rinaldi S, Pallikkuth S, George V, de Armas L, Pahwa R, Sanchez C, et al. Paradoxical aging in HIV: immune senescence of B Cells is most prominent in young age. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1307-1325 pubmed publisher..We conclude that B cell immune senescence is a prominent phenomenon in young HIV in comparison to young HC, but distinctions between old HIV and old HC are less evident though both groups manifest age-associated B cell dysfunction. ..
- Jacquier A, Delorme C, Belotti E, Juntas Morales R, Solé G, Dubourg O, et al. Cryptic amyloidogenic elements in mutant NEFH causing Charcot-Marie-Tooth 2 trigger aggresome formation and neuronal death. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2017;5:55 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide a physiological explanation for the overlap between CMT and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) clinical features in affected patients. ..
- Sharma K, Al Rifai M, Ahmed H, Dardari Z, Silverman M, Yeboah J, et al. Usefulness of Coronary Artery Calcium to Predict Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction in Men Versus Women (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1847-1853 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to better understand potential gender differences in pathophysiology and presentation of HFpEF...
- Esanov R, Andrade N, Bennison S, Wahlestedt C, Zeier Z. The FMR1 promoter is selectively hydroxymethylated in primary neurons of fragile X syndrome patients. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:4870-4880 pubmed publisher..Future studies could investigate the potential to leverage this epigenetic pathway to restore FMR1 expression and discern whether levels of 5hmC correlate with phenotypic severity. ..
- Wong H, Cvijanovich N, Anas N, Allen G, Thomas N, Bigham M, et al. Improved Risk Stratification in Pediatric Septic Shock Using Both Protein and mRNA Biomarkers. PERSEVERE-XP. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:494-501 pubmed publisher..PERSEVERE-XP significantly improves on PERSEVERE and suggests a role for TP53-related cellular division, repair, and metabolism in the pathophysiology of septic shock. ..
- Yang F, Munoz J, Han L, Yang F. Effects of vibration training in reducing risk of slip-related falls among young adults with obesity. J Biomech. 2017;57:87-93 pubmed publisher..25%). Vibration-based training could be a promising alternative or additional modality to active exercise-based fall prevention programs for people with obesity. ..
- Capparelli M, McNamara J, Grosell M. Effects of waterborne copper delivered under two different exposure and salinity regimes on osmotic and ionic regulation in the mudflat fiddler crab, Minuca rapax (Ocypodidae, Brachyura). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;143:201-209 pubmed publisher..These findings show that Minuca rapax is affected both physiologically and biochemically by Cu contamination, although to different degrees, depending on the delivery regime, salinity, copper concentration and target tissue. ..
- Mistry P, Batista J, Andersson H, Balwani M, Burrow T, Charrow J, et al. Transformation in pretreatment manifestations of Gaucher disease type 1 during two decades of alglucerase/imiglucerase enzyme replacement therapy in the International Collaborative Gaucher Group (ICGG) Gaucher Registry. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:929-939 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that since the introduction of alglucerase/imiglucerase ERT, optimal standard of care has become established in the US to prevent destructive complications of GD1. ..
- Srichomkwun P, Anselmo J, Liao X, Hönes G, Moeller L, Alonso Sampedro M, et al. Fetal Exposure to High Maternal Thyroid Hormone Levels Causes Central Resistance to Thyroid Hormone in Adult Humans and Mice. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3234-3240 pubmed publisher..Fetuses exposed to the high thyroid hormone (TH) levels of mothers with resistance to thyroid hormone beta (RTH-?), due to mutations in the THRB gene, have low birth weight and suppressed TSH...
- Weiner D, Gaussoin S, Nord J, Auchus A, Chelune G, Chonchol M, et al. Cognitive Function and Kidney Disease: Baseline Data From the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT). Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:357-367 pubmed publisher..Albuminuria concurrently identifies a higher burden of abnormal brain white matter disease, suggesting that vascular disease may mediate these relationships. ..
- Gendron T, Daughrity L, Heckman M, Diehl N, Wuu J, Miller T, et al. Phosphorylated neurofilament heavy chain: A biomarker of survival for C9ORF72-associated amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:139-146 pubmed publisher..These data support the use of CSF pNFH as a prognostic biomarker for clinical trials, which will increase the likelihood of successfully developing a treatment for c9ALS. Ann Neurol 2017;82:139-146. ..
- Shaffer K, Kim Y, Carver C, Cannady R. Depressive symptoms predict cancer caregivers' physical health decline. Cancer. 2017;123:4277-4285 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:4277-4285. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Mackenzie I, Nicholson A, Sarkar M, Messing J, Purice M, Pottier C, et al. TIA1 Mutations in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Dementia Promote Phase Separation and Alter Stress Granule Dynamics. Neuron. 2017;95:808-816.e9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, TDP-43 in SGs became less mobile and insoluble. The identification of TIA1 mutations in ALS/FTD reinforces the importance of RNA metabolism and SG dynamics in ALS/FTD pathogenesis. ..
- Pappa T, Anselmo J, Mamanasiri S, Dumitrescu A, Weiss R, Refetoff S. Prenatal Diagnosis of Resistance to Thyroid Hormone and Its Clinical Implications. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3775-3782 pubmed publisher..The management of RTH-? during pregnancy is challenging, as wild-type (WT) fetuses born to RTH-? mothers have low birth weight and suppressed postnatal thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), due to intrauterine exposure to excess TH...
- Skyler J, Bergenstal R, Bonow R, Buse J, Deedwania P, Gale E, et al. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: implications of the ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VA Diabetes Trials: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a Scientific Statement of the American College of Cardi. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53:298-304 pubmed publisher
- Kheirbek R, Fokar A, SHARA N, Bell Wilson L, Moore H, Olsen E, et al. Characteristics and Incidence of Chronic Illness in Community-Dwelling Predominantly Male U.S. Veteran Centenarians. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2100-2106 pubmed publisher..To assess the incidence of chronic illness and its effect on veteran centenarians...
- Gezgin G, Luk S, Cao J, Dogrusöz M, van der Steen D, Hagedoorn R, et al. PRAME as a Potential Target for Immunotherapy in Metastatic Uveal Melanoma. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:541-549 pubmed publisher..The finding that PRAME-specific T cells in this study reacted against PRAME-positive UM cell lines suggests a potential role for PRAME-directed immunotherapy for selected patients with metastatic UM. ..
- Britton A, Grobbee D, den Ruijter H, Anderson T, Desvarieux M, Engstrom G, et al. Alcohol Consumption and Common Carotid Intima-Media Thickness: The USE-IMT Study. Alcohol Alcohol. 2017;52:483-486 pubmed publisher..In this large CIMT consortium, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of alcohol on CIMT. ..
- Niu Z, Feng Y, Mei L, Sun J, Wang X, Wang J, et al. A novel frameshift mutation of SMPX causes a rare form of X-linked nonsyndromic hearing loss in a Chinese family. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178384 pubmed publisher..Our findings extend the mutation and phenotypic spectrum of the SMPX gene. ..
- Huang K, Marcora E, Pimenova A, Di Narzo A, Kapoor M, Jin S, et al. A common haplotype lowers PU.1 expression in myeloid cells and delays onset of Alzheimer's disease. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1052-1061 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that lower SPI1 expression reduces AD risk by regulating myeloid gene expression and cell function. ..
- Leitch V, Di Cosmo C, Liao X, O Boy S, Galliford T, Evans H, et al. An Essential Physiological Role for MCT8 in Bone in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3055-3066 pubmed publisher..These studies identify an essential physiological requirement for MCT8 in chondrocytes, and demonstrate a role for additional transporters in other skeletal cells during adult bone maintenance. ..
- McClure L, Tannenbaum S, Zheng D, Joslin C, Perera M, Gellman M, et al. Eye Health Knowledge and Eye Health Information Exposure Among Hispanic/Latino Individuals: Results From the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:878-882 pubmed publisher..These findings might be used to support the development of targeted interventions designed to improve eye health in this population. ..
- Buicko J, Parreco J, Abel S, Lopez M, Sola J, Perez E. Pediatric laparoscopic appendectomy, risk factors, and costs associated with nationwide readmissions. J Surg Res. 2017;215:245-249 pubmed publisher..This study elucidates the patient characteristics that predispose these patients to readmission. Efforts to reduce these readmissions should be focused around preventing infections in patients with these predisposing risk factors. ..
- Sperduto P, Jiang W, Brown P, Braunstein S, Sneed P, Wattson D, et al. The Prognostic Value of BRAF, C-KIT, and NRAS Mutations in Melanoma Patients With Brain Metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:1069-1077 pubmed publisher..For melanoma patients with brain metastases, BRAF-positive patients survive longer than BRAF-negative patients and overall survival has improved from 1985-2005 to 2006-2015. ..
- Kaushal S, Wehman B, Pietris N, Naughton C, Bentzen S, Bigham G, et al. Study design and rationale for ELPIS: A phase I/IIb randomized pilot study of allogeneic human mesenchymal stem cell injection in patients with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Am Heart J. 2017;192:48-56 pubmed publisher..This study will establish the safety and feasibility of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell injection in HLHS patients and provide important insights in the emerging field of stem cell-based therapy for congenital heart disease patients. ..
- Tompkins B, Difede D, Khan A, Landin A, Schulman I, Pujol M, et al. Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells Ameliorate Aging Frailty: A Phase II Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:1513-1522 pubmed publisher..Aging frailty, characterized by decreased physical and immunological functioning, is associated with stem cell depletion. Human allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells (allo-hMSCs) exert immunomodulatory effects and promote tissue repair...
- Liu Z, Pericak Vance M, Goldschmidt Clermont P, Seo D, Wang L, Rundek T, et al. Coronary collateralization shows sex and racial-ethnic differences in obstructive artery disease patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183836 pubmed publisher..Coronary collateral circulation protects cardiac tissues from myocardial infarction damage and decreases sudden cardiac death. So far, it is unclear how coronary collateralization varies by race-ethnicity groups and by sex...
- Shackelford S, Del Junco D, Powell Dunford N, Mazuchowski E, Howard J, Kotwal R, et al. Association of Prehospital Blood Product Transfusion During Medical Evacuation of Combat Casualties in Afghanistan With Acute and 30-Day Survival. JAMA. 2017;318:1581-1591 pubmed publisher..Sequential expansion of blood transfusion capability after 2012 to deployed military medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) units enabled a concurrent cohort study to focus on the timing as well as the location of the initial transfusion...
- Jindal M, Zheng C, Quadri H, Ihemelandu C, Hong Y, Smith A, et al. Why Do Long-Distance Travelers Have Improved Pancreatectomy Outcomes?. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:216-225 pubmed publisher..However, it can have additional benefits on rural patients that are not explained by volume. Distance can represent a surrogate for rural populations. ..
- Baumann F, Pena C, Kloeckner R, Katzen B, Gandhi R, Benenati J. The Effect of a New Angiographic Imaging Technology on Radiation Dose in Visceral Embolization Procedures. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:183-187 pubmed publisher..The CIQ technology significantly reduced mean radiation dose by 39.4% for visceral embolization procedures when compared to fluoroscopy time and contrast media dose. This dose relationship was consistent across all BMI groups. ..
- Lansberg M, Christensen S, Kemp S, Mlynash M, Mishra N, Federau C, et al. Computed tomographic perfusion to Predict Response to Recanalization in ischemic stroke. Ann Neurol. 2017;81:849-856 pubmed publisher..Ann Neurol 2017;81:849-856. ..
- Crouser E, Parrillo J, Seymour C, Angus D, Bicking K, Tejidor L, et al. Improved Early Detection of Sepsis in the ED With a Novel Monocyte Distribution Width Biomarker. Chest. 2017;152:518-526 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT02232750; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Stradecki Cohan H, Youbi M, Cohan C, Saul I, Garvin A, Perez E, et al. Physical Exercise Improves Cognitive Outcomes in 2 Models of Transient Cerebral Ischemia. Stroke. 2017;48:2306-2309 pubmed publisher..Utilization of this exercise paradigm can further the elucidation of exercise-mediated factors involved in cognitive recovery independent of changes in physical fitness. ..
- Clarke N, Murthy R, Guleserian K. Persistent Left Superior Vena Cava: Incidence and Management in Patients Undergoing Repair of Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:440-444 pubmed publisher..At our institution, we sought to find the incidence of a persistent left superior vena cava (PLSVC) in patients undergoing an operation for PAPVC...
- Richardson S, Seekaew P, Koblin B, Vazquez T, Nandi V, Tieu H. Barriers and facilitators of HIV vaccine and prevention study participation among Young Black MSM and transwomen in New York City. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181702 pubmed publisher..However, further studies are needed to delineate the complex mechanisms underlying the decision-making process and establish approaches to increase study participation in this population. ..
- Madsen P, Pinto M, Patel S, McCarthy S, Gao H, Taherian M, et al. Mitochondrial DNA Double-Strand Breaks in Oligodendrocytes Cause Demyelination, Axonal Injury, and CNS Inflammation. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10185-10199 pubmed publisher..Hence, PLP:mtPstI mice represent a unique tool to study the pathological consequences of mitochondrial dysfunction in oligodendrocytes, as well as an ideal platform to test remyelinating and neuroprotective agents. ..
- Schweitzer M, Salamo O, Campos M, Schraufnagel D, Sadikot R, Mirsaeidi M. Body habitus in patients with and without bronchiectasis and non-tuberculous mycobacteria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185095 pubmed publisher..The biologic relationship between the body habitus and NTM infection is not well defined and the body habitus profile of the patients with NTM and concurrent bronchiectasis is completely unknown...