Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Miami, Florida, United States
Locale: Miami, Florida, United States
Publications916 found, 100 shown here
- Simpson J. Genetic and phenotypic heterogeneity in ovarian failure: overview of selected candidate genes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1135:146-54 pubmed publisher..Analysis of other genes is necessary, including many likely to show novel mechanisms of action. ..
- Lickliter R. Theories of attachment: the long and winding road to an integrative developmental science. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2008;42:397-405 pubmed publisher..Exploring the specific prenatal and postnatal features of the mother-infant interaction system is providing a new appreciation of the complexity of the origins and maintenance of early attachment and its long-term consequences. ..
- Mita A, Ricordi C, Miki A, Barker S, Khan A, Alvarez A, et al. Purification method using iodixanol (OptiPrep)-based density gradient significantly reduces cytokine chemokine production from human islet preparations, leading to prolonged beta-cell survival during pretransplantation culture. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:314-5 pubmed publisher..OptiPrep-based density gradients reduced cytokine/chemokine production by islet preparations. In addition, OptiPrep-based density gradient purification significantly reduced the loss of beta-cell mass during pretransplantation culture. ..
- Shay E, Kheirkhah A, Liang L, Sheha H, Gregory D, Tseng S. Amniotic membrane transplantation as a new therapy for the acute ocular manifestations of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. Surv Ophthalmol. 2009;54:686-96 pubmed publisher..Significant dry eye problems and photophobia can also be avoided with this intervention. This new therapeutic strategy can avert the catastrophic ophthalmic sequelae of this rare but devastating disease...
- Caberoy N, Maiguel D, Kim Y, Li W. Identification of tubby and tubby-like protein 1 as eat-me signals by phage display. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:245-57 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a novel activity of tubby and Tulp1, and demonstrate that unbiased identification of eat-me signals by the broadly applicable strategy of ORF phage display can provide detailed insights into phagocyte biology. ..
- Abaffy T, Duncan R, Riemer D, Tietje O, Elgart G, Milikowski C, et al. Differential volatile signatures from skin, naevi and melanoma: a novel approach to detect a pathological process. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13813 pubmed publisher..Our volatile metabolomic approach will lead to a better understanding of melanoma and can enable development of new diagnostic and treatment strategies based on altered metabolism. ..
- Gardener H, Beecham A, Cabral D, Yanuck D, Slifer S, Wang L, et al. Carotid plaque and candidate genes related to inflammation and endothelial function in Hispanics from northern Manhattan. Stroke. 2011;42:889-96 pubmed publisher..We report novel associations between variations in 10 genes involved in inflammation and endothelial function and carotid plaque phenotypes in a Dominican sample, with replication for 5 genes in an independent Dominican sample. ..
- Moore D, Apara A, Goldberg J. KrÃ¼ppel-like transcription factors in the nervous system: novel players in neurite outgrowth and axon regeneration. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;47:233-43 pubmed publisher..By further characterizing the mechanisms of the KLF family in the nervous system, we may better understand how they regulate neurite growth and axon regeneration. ..
- Shearer W, Fleisher T, Buckley R, BALLAS Z, Ballow M, Blaese R, et al. Recommendations for live viral and bacterial vaccines in immunodeficient patients and their close contacts. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:961-6 pubmed publisher..The review also recommends a balance between the need to protect vulnerable subjects and their social needs to integrate into society, attend school, and benefit from peer education. ..
- Baumann F, Sharpe E, PeÃ±a C, Samuels S, Benenati J. Technical Results of Vacuum-Assisted Thrombectomy for Arterial Clot Removal in Patients with Acute Limb Ischemia. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016;27:330-5 pubmed publisher..025 by t test). ATK lesions required more concomitant angioplasty or stent placement, or both (P < .015 by Ï‡(2) test). VAT is a safe, technically successful short-term therapeutic option for thrombus removal in patients with ALI. ..
- Dimsoski P. Genotyping horse epithelial cells from fecal matter by isolation of polymerase chain reaction products. Croat Med J. 2017;58:239-249 pubmed..These results indicate that the IPCRp amplification method, coupled with the Qiagen DNA Stool Mini Kit extraction can maximize the likelihood of obtaining horse DNA genotypes from fecal samples. ..
- Ahmed H, Neuzil P, d Avila A, Cha Y, Laragy M, Mares K, et al. The esophageal effects of cryoenergy during cryoablation for atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2009;6:962-9 pubmed publisher..No ulcerations occurred with adjunctive spot cryoablation at regions near the esophagus during radiofrequency ablation procedures. ..
- Shriver E, McKeown C, Johnson T. Trochlear calcification mimicking an orbital foreign body. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;27:e143-4 pubmed publisher..Calcification should be considered in the differential diagnosis of trochlear hyperintensity noted on imaging studies. ..
- Kieval J, Karp C, Abou Shousha M, Galor A, Hoffman R, Dubovy S, et al. Ultra-high resolution optical coherence tomography for differentiation of ocular surface squamous neoplasia and pterygia. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:481-6 pubmed publisher..To assess the use of an ultra-high-resolution (UHR) optical coherence tomography (OCT) as an adjuvant diagnostic tool in distinguishing ocular surface squamous neoplasia (OSSN) and pterygia...
- Mason B, Goodman A, Dixon R, Hameed M, Hulot T, Wesnes K, et al. A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic drug interaction study of acamprosate and naltrexone. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002;27:596-606 pubmed..A complete absence of negative interactions on measures of safety and cognitive function supports the absence of a contraindication to co-administration of acamprosate and naltrexone in clinical practice. ..
- Asif A, Preston R, Roth D. Radiocontrast-induced nephropathy. Am J Ther. 2003;10:137-47 pubmed..This article discusses the pathophysiology, risk factors, and prevention of RIN. ..
- Zahn E, Dobrolet N, Nykanen D, Ojito J, Hannan R, Burke R. Interventional catheterization performed in the early postoperative period after congenital heart surgery in children. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:1264-9 pubmed..These procedures can have a positive impact on patient outcome; however, they should be performed only by a pediatric interventional cardiologist supported by a multi-disciplinary team. ..
- Ramirez C, Kirsner R. A refractory case of erythromelalgia involving the ears. Am J Otolaryngol. 2004;25:251-4 pubmed..We describe a patient with a 3-year history of refractory burning pain and red ears. A review of clinical features, disease classification, associated diseases, and treatment of this disease is presented...
- Berry J, Gantar M, Gawley R, Wang M, Rein K. Pharmacology and toxicology of pahayokolide A, a bioactive metabolite from a freshwater species of Lyngbya isolated from the Florida Everglades. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;139:231-8 pubmed
- Alexis J, Martinez A, Lutzky J. An immunohistochemical evaluation of c-kit (CD-117) expression in malignant melanoma, and results of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec) therapy in three patients. Melanoma Res. 2005;15:283-5 pubmed..Three patients with neoplasms showing 4+ staining were selected for imatinib therapy. None responded. c-kit (CD-117) expression in melanoma appears to be common; however, the value of imatinib therapy remains to be proven. ..
- Harhaj N, Sun S, Harhaj E. Activation of NF-kappa B by the human T cell leukemia virus type I Tax oncoprotein is associated with ubiquitin-dependent relocalization of I kappa B kinase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:4185-92 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that Tax induces relocalization of the IKK complex in a ubiquitin-dependent manner, and dynamic changes in the subcellular localization of the IKK complex may be critical for Tax function. ..
- Norenberg M, Jayakumar A, Rama Rao K, Panickar K. New concepts in the mechanism of ammonia-induced astrocyte swelling. Metab Brain Dis. 2007;22:219-34 pubmed..Blockade of this cascade may provide novel therapies for the brain edema associated with ALF. ..
- Wykoff C, Lam B, Brathwaite C, Biegel J, McKeown C, Rosenblum M, et al. Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor arising from the third cranial nerve. J Neuroophthalmol. 2008;28:207-11 pubmed publisher..Despite aggressive chemotherapy, the patient died within 6 months of presentation. This is the first report of an AT/RT presenting as an isolated third cranial nerve palsy caused by tumor arising from within the nerve...
- Field T, Diego M, Hernandez Reif M, Deeds O, Figueiredo B. Pregnancy massage reduces prematurity, low birthweight and postpartum depression. Infant Behav Dev. 2009;32:454-60 pubmed publisher..Their newborns were also less likely to be born prematurely and low birthweight, and they had lower cortisol levels and performed better on the Brazelton Neonatal Behavioral Assessment habituation, orientation and motor scales. ..
- Krishan A, Ganjei Azar P, Hamelik R, Sharma D, Reis I, Nadji M. Flow immunocytochemistry of marker expression in cells from body cavity fluids. Cytometry A. 2010;77:132-43 pubmed publisher..By further developing the use of specific markers and aneuploidy, it may be possible to refine flow cytometric analysis for rapid detection of malignant cells in body cavity fluids. ..
- Mundel P, Reiser J. Proteinuria: an enzymatic disease of the podocyte?. Kidney Int. 2010;77:571-80 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe signaling pathways controlling the podocyte actin cytoskeleton and motility and how these pathways can be manipulated for therapeutic benefit. ..
- Ciancio G, Shirodkar S, Soloway M, Livingstone A, Barron M, Salerno T. Renal carcinoma with supradiaphragmatic tumor thrombus: avoiding sternotomy and cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89:505-10 pubmed publisher..Three patients had tumor recurrence and have been referred for adjuvant therapy. In select cases, renal cell carcinoma extending into the IVC to the intrapericardial level and RA can be resected without sternotomy, CBP, or DHCA. ..
- Feaster D, Mitrani V, Burns M, McCabe B, Brincks A, Rodriguez A, et al. A randomized controlled trial of Structural Ecosystems Therapy for HIV medication adherence and substance abuse relapse prevention. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;111:227-34 pubmed publisher..The results of the trial were mixed. Women in SET did not show better drug use or medication adherence outcomes, but did show improvement in CD4 T-cell count and theoretical mechanisms of action on drug relapse. ..
- Moshfeghi A, Rosenfeld P, Flynn H, Schwartz S, Davis J, Murray T, et al. Endophthalmitis after intravitreal vascular [corrected] endothelial growth factor antagonists: a six-year experience at a university referral center. Retina. 2011;31:662-8 pubmed publisher..Patients typically presented within 3 days of injection. Streptococcus species was the most common bacteria isolated, and it was generally associated with poor visual outcomes. ..
- Rachitskaya A, Lee R, Dubovy S, Schiff E. Combined central retinal vein and central retinal artery occlusions and neovascular glaucoma associated with interferon treatment. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2012;22:284-7 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be aware of the sight-threatening complications of IFN therapy, especially with regard to ocular vaso-occlusive disease and severe retinal ischemia. ..
- Wang B, Lindley L, Fernandez Vega V, Rieger M, Sims A, Briegel K. The T box transcription factor TBX2 promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition and invasion of normal and malignant breast epithelial cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41355 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results uncover an unanticipated link between TBX2 deregulation in cancer and the acquisition of EMT and invasive features of epithelial tumor cells. ..
- Fields K, McCormack R, de Armas L, Podack E. Perforin-2 restricts growth of Chlamydia trachomatis in macrophages. Infect Immun. 2013;81:3045-54 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data implicate a new innate resistance protein in the control of chlamydial infection and may help explain why the macrophage environment is hostile to chlamydial growth. ..
- Florea V, Bhagavatula N, Simovic G, Macedo F, Fock R, Rodrigues C. c-Myc is essential to prevent endothelial pro-inflammatory senescent phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73146 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a novel role for c-Myc in the prevention of vascular pro-inflammatory phenotype, supporting an important physiological function as a central regulator of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Mukhopadhyay R, Bhattacharjee H, Rosen B. Aquaglyceroporins: generalized metalloid channels. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1840:1583-91 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Aquaporins. ..
- Hernandez Trujillo V, Simons F. Prospective evaluation of an anaphylaxis education mini-handout: the AAAAI Anaphylaxis Wallet Card. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2013;1:181-5 pubmed publisher..05). The AAAAI-AWC is a practical, concise anaphylaxis education mini-handout for pediatric residents, a time-challenged group of health care professionals. ..
- Keefe R, Haig G, Marder S, Harvey P, Dunayevich E, Medalia A, et al. Report on ISCTM Consensus Meeting on Clinical Assessment of Response to Treatment of Cognitive Impairment in Schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 2016;42:19-33 pubmed publisher..Research on the reliability, validity, sensitivity, and practicality of competing methods will facilitate consensus. ..
- da Silva R, Vieira E, Carvalho C, Oliveira M, Amorim C, Neto E. Age-related differences on low back pain and postural control during one-leg stance: a case-control study. Eur Spine J. 2016;25:1251-7 pubmed publisher..24). The findings indicate that CLBP affects the balance of both younger and older adults, and that the age-related changes also affect balance and modify the magnitude of CLBP effects on balance. ..
- Iacobellis G. Epicardial fat: a new cardiovascular therapeutic target. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2016;27:13-8 pubmed publisher..The potential of modulating the epicardial fat transcriptome with targeted pharmacological agents can open new avenues in the pharmacotherapy of cardio-metabolic diseases. ..
- Gonzalez R, Schimke C. Ureteropelvic junction obstruction in infants and children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2001;48:1505-18 pubmed..Whether improved analysis of the excretory pattern on renography will prove to have prognostic value is unknown...
- Sved P, Gomez P, Manoharan M, Kim S, Soloway M. Limitations of biopsy Gleason grade: implications for counseling patients with biopsy Gleason score 6 prostate cancer. J Urol. 2004;172:98-102 pubmed..Patients with biopsy Gleason score 6 who are under graded are at significantly higher risk for adverse pathological features and biochemical recurrence than patients who remain with Gleason score 6 or less on final pathology findings. ..
- Eifrig C, Scott I, Flynn H, Smiddy W, Newton J. Endophthalmitis after pars plana vitrectomy: Incidence, causative organisms, and visual acuity outcomes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2004;138:799-802 pubmed..The incidence of endophthalmitis after pars plana vitrectomy is low but the visual acuity outcomes after treatment are generally poor. ..
- Tao Z, Grewer C. The conserved histidine 295 does not contribute to proton cotransport by the glutamate transporter EAAC1. Biochemistry. 2005;44:3466-76 pubmed..A kinetic scheme is used to quantify the results, which includes binding of the cotransported proton to E373 and binding of a modulatory, nontransported proton to the amino acid side chain in position 295. ..
- Rodriguez M, Bruce J, Jiménez X, Romaguera R, Bancalari E, García O, et al. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis in the liveborn: series of 32 autopsies. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2005;8:369-78 pubmed..Our study shows that cardiovascular diseases that lead to heart failure or impaired venous return are more common in the liveborn (50%), whereas congenital infections are more common in the stillborn with NIHF. ..
- Tao Z, Zhang Z, Grewer C. Neutralization of the aspartic acid residue Asp-367, but not Asp-454, inhibits binding of Na+ to the glutamate-free form and cycling of the glutamate transporter EAAC1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10263-72 pubmed..Our data are consistent with a model in which Asp-367, but not Asp-454, is involved in coordinating the bound Na(+) in the glutamate-free transporter form. ..
- Pino V, Ramsauer V, Salas P, Carothers Carraway C, Carraway K. Membrane mucin Muc4 induces density-dependent changes in ERK activation in mammary epithelial and tumor cells: role in reversal of contact inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:29411-20 pubmed..Muc4-induced abrogation of contact inhibition may be an important mechanism by which tumors progress from an early, more benign state to invasiveness. ..
- Hutson J. Salvage of pilon fracture nonunion and infection with circular tensioned wire fixation. Foot Ankle Clin. 2008;13:29-68, vi pubmed publisher..These deformities require correction in the reconstruction and there are multiple technique pathways to achieving a successful reconstruction. ..
- Wojcikiewicz E, Koenen R, Fraemohs L, Minkiewicz J, Azad H, Weber C, et al. LFA-1 binding destabilizes the JAM-A homophilic interaction during leukocyte transmigration. Biophys J. 2009;96:285-93 pubmed publisher..In turn, the greater strength of the LFA-1/JAM-A complex permits it to support the tension needed to disrupt the JAM-A homophilic interaction, thus allowing transendothelial migration to proceed. ..
- Thorson C, Namias N, Van Haren R, Guarch G, Ginzburg E, Salerno T, et al. Does hemopericardium after chest trauma mandate sternotomy?. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;72:1518-24; discussion 1524-5 pubmed publisher..Some stable blunt or penetrating trauma patients without continuing intrapericardial bleeding had nontherapeutic sternotomies, suggesting that this intervention could be avoided in selected cases. Therapeutic study, level III. ..
- Alsulaimani S, Gardener H, Elkind M, Cheung K, Sacco R, Rundek T. Elevated homocysteine and carotid plaque area and densitometry in the Northern Manhattan Study. Stroke. 2013;44:457-61 pubmed publisher..8 [95% CI, 1.1-3.0]; tHcy Q4, OR=2.2 [95% CI, 1.3-3.7]). In this population-based multiethnic cohort, elevated tHcy was independently associated with plaque morphology and increased plaque area, subclinical markers of stroke risk. ..
- Isakova T, Barchi Chung A, Enfield G, Smith K, Vargas G, Houston J, et al. Effects of dietary phosphate restriction and phosphate binders on FGF23 levels in CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:1009-18 pubmed publisher..The combination of LC plus counseling for a phosphate-restricted diet decreased FGF23 levels in patients with CKD stages 3-4 and normal serum phosphate levels. ..
- Hurley J, Reis I, Rodgers S, Gomez Fernandez C, Wright J, Leone J, et al. The use of neoadjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer that is triple negative: retrospective analysis of 144 patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;138:783-94 pubmed publisher..007) and OS (P = 0.018). Node positivity was the most important predictor of survival. Cisplatin/docetaxel neoadjuvant therapy was well tolerated and an effective therapy in locally advanced TNB. ..
- Pasaron R. Nurse practitioner job satisfaction: looking for successful outcomes. J Clin Nurs. 2013;22:2593-604 pubmed publisher..Nurse practitioners armed with this translational information have viable agenda items that can be negotiated into extrinsic rewards. ..
- Atluri V, Kanthikeel S, Reddy P, Yndart A, Nair M. Human synaptic plasticity gene expression profile and dendritic spine density changes in HIV-infected human CNS cells: role in HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND). PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61399 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study suggests that down-regulation of synaptic plasticity genes, decreased dendritic spine density and induction of apoptosis in astrocytes may contribute to the severe neuropathogenesis in clade B infection. ..
- da Silva B, Meng C, Helm D, Pachl F, Schiller J, Ibrahim E, et al. Towards Understanding Male Infertility After Spinal Cord Injury Using Quantitative Proteomics. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2016;15:1424-34 pubmed publisher..Together, our data highlights the molecular pathways hindering fertility in SCI and shed new light on other causes of male infertility. ..
- AbejÃ³n D, Rueda P, Vallejo R. Threshold Evolution as an Analysis of the Different Pulse Frequencies in Rechargeable Systems for Spinal Cord Stimulation. Neuromodulation. 2016;19:276-82 pubmed publisher..We showed that as the frequency increases, the patient's satisfaction with the perceived sensation decreases, suggesting that higher Fc may need to be set up at subthreshold amplitude to achieve positive response. ..
- Chen W, Tuladhar A, Rolle S, Lai Y, Rodriguez Del Rey F, Zavala C, et al. Brevetoxin-2, is a unique inhibitor of the C-terminal redox center of mammalian thioredoxin reductase-1. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:58-66 pubmed publisher..PbTx-2 had no effect on the rates of reactions catalyzed by related enzymes such as glutathione reductase, glutathione peroxidase or glutaredoxin. ..
- Buicko J, Parreco J, Abel S, Lopez M, Sola J, Perez E. Pediatric laparoscopic appendectomy, risk factors, and costs associated with nationwide readmissions. J Surg Res. 2017;215:245-249 pubmed publisher..This study elucidates the patient characteristics that predispose these patients to readmission. Efforts to reduce these readmissions should be focused around preventing infections in patients with these predisposing risk factors. ..
- Gerth Kahlert C, Tiwari A, Hanson J, Batmanabane V, Traboulsi E, Pennesi M, et al. C2orf71 Mutations as a Frequent Cause of Autosomal-Recessive Retinitis Pigmentosa: Clinical Analysis and Presentation of 8 Novel Mutations. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3840-3850 pubmed publisher..The phenotype analysis over a wide age range showed a variable and progressive retinal degeneration with early onset maculopathy and a better visual potential before the age of 30 years. ..
- Geck M, Eismont F. Surgical options for the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Orthop Clin North Am. 2002;33:329-48 pubmed..Laminoplasty has a lower complication rate than corpectomy and strut grafting but has a higher incidence of postoperative axial symptoms...
- Kim J, Havelock J, Carr B, Attia G. The orphan nuclear receptor, liver receptor homolog-1, regulates cholesterol side-chain cleavage cytochrome p450 enzyme in human granulosa cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:1678-85 pubmed..We conclude that CYP11A1 expression in human granulosa cells is regulated by LRH-1. We propose that LRH-1 could be the major transcription factor for the post-ovulatory surge in human ovarian steroidogenesis. ..
- Koller W, Lees A, Doder M, Hely M. Randomized trial of tolcapone versus pergolide as add-on to levodopa therapy in Parkinson's disease patients with motor fluctuations. Mov Disord. 2001;16:858-66 pubmed..Tolcapone provided greater improvements in quality of fife, was better tolerated, and had a more favorable adverse-event profile than pergolide. ..
- Bes J, Sagen J. Dissociated human embryonic and fetal adrenal glands in neural stem cell culture system: open fate for neuronal, nonneuronal, and chromaffin lineages?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;971:563-72 pubmed
- Miguez Burbano M, Burbano X, Ashkin D, Pitchenik A, Allan R, Pineda L, et al. Impact of tobacco use on the development of opportunistic respiratory infections in HIV seropositive patients on antiretroviral therapy. Addict Biol. 2003;8:39-43 pubmed..These findings indicate that tobacco use significantly increases the risk of pulmonary diseases in HIV infected subjects and has a potential deleterious impact on antiretroviral treatment. ..
- Lokeshwar V, Selzer M, Unwala D, Estrella V, Gomez M, Golshani R, et al. Uronate peaks and urinary hyaluronic acid levels correlate with interstitial cystitis severity. J Urol. 2006;176:1001-7 pubmed..In this study we examined the urinary glycosaminoglycan profile and correlated the profile and urinary hyaluronic acid (a glycosaminoglycan) levels with symptom severity...
- Echeverry A, Schesser K, Adkins B. Murine neonates are highly resistant to Yersinia enterocolitica following orogastric exposure. Infect Immun. 2007;75:2234-43 pubmed..Together, these experiments support the hypothesis that the neonatal intestinal immune system can rapidly mobilize innate phagocytes and thereby confine the bacterial infection to the gut, resulting in a high level of resistance. ..
- Bacman S, Moraes C. Transmitochondrial technology in animal cells. Methods Cell Biol. 2007;80:503-24 pubmed
- Lo Menzo E, Martinez J, Spector S, Iglesias A, DeGennaro V, Cappellani A. Use of biologic mesh for a complicated paracolostomy hernia. Am J Surg. 2008;196:715-9 pubmed publisher..The authors suggest parietalizing the bowel and using a biologic mesh. ..
- Hogan A, Low C, Ciancio G, Burke G, Davis J, Sola J. Cold infusion for salvage partial hilar nephrectomy in patient with bilateral wilms tumor. Urology. 2009;73:1021-3 pubmed publisher..The adequate renal function afforded by the procedure avoided the possible need for dialysis and allowed the resection area to be irradiated to prevent tumor recurrence before eventual renal transplantation. ..
- Takacs P, Nassiri M, Candiotti K, Yang J, Yavagal S, Medina C. Differential expression of fibulins in the uterosacral ligaments of women with uterine prolapse. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010;282:389-94 pubmed publisher..To compare fibulin-3 (FIB-3) and fibulin-5 (FIB-5) expressions in uterosacral ligaments (USL) of women with and without uterine prolapse...
- Morales A, Painter T, Li R, Siegfried J, Li D, Norton N, et al. Rare variant mutations in pregnancy-associated or peripartum cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2010;121:2176-82 pubmed publisher..One case had PACM and carried a mutation in MYBPC3. These findings suggest that a proportion of PPCM/PACM cases results from a genetic cause. ..
- Hall K, Gattás Asfura K, Stabler C. Microencapsulation of islets within alginate/poly(ethylene glycol) gels cross-linked via Staudinger ligation. Acta Biomater. 2011;7:614-24 pubmed publisher..The remarkable improved stability, as well as demonstrated cellular compatibility, of XAlgPEG hydrogels makes them an appealing option for a wide variety of tissue engineering applications. ..
- Rosa Cunha I, Cardenas G, Dickinson G, Metsch L. Addressing anal health in the HIV primary care setting: a disappointing reality. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010;24:533-8 pubmed publisher..53). Efforts are greatly needed to increase the focus on anal health in the HIV primary care setting for both men and women. ..
- Jean Pierre P, Fiscella K, Winters P, Paskett E, Wells K, Battaglia T. Psychometric validation and reliability analysis of a Spanish version of the patient satisfaction with cancer-related care measure: a patient navigation research program study. Support Care Cancer. 2012;20:1949-56 pubmed publisher..003) and nonsignificant correlations with marital status and household income (all p(s) > 0.05). The PSCC-Sp is a valid and reliable measure of PS and should be tested in other MSS populations. ..
- Stylianos S, Nichols L, Ventura N, Malvezzi L, Knight C, Burnweit C. The "all-in-one" appendectomy: quick, scarless, and less costly. J Pediatr Surg. 2011;46:2336-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the all-in-one laparoscopic appendectomy technique is quick, scarless, and less costly than conventional multi-port techniques. Wider application of the all-in-one technique seems indicated. ..
- Szepeshazi K, Schally A, Keller G, Block N, Benten D, Halmos G, et al. Receptor-targeted therapy of human experimental urinary bladder cancers with cytotoxic LH-RH analog AN-152 [AEZS- 108]. Oncotarget. 2012;3:686-99 pubmed..These results suggest that targeted cytotoxic LH-RH analog, AN-152 (AEZS- 108), should be examined for treatment of patients with LH-RH receptor positive invasive bladder cancers. ..
- Koshenkov V, Koru Sengul T, Franceschi D, Dipasco P, Rodgers S. Predictors of incidental gallbladder cancer in patients undergoing cholecystectomy for benign gallbladder disease. J Surg Oncol. 2013;107:118-23 pubmed publisher..Discovery of incidental gallbladder cancer (IGC) has become more frequent due to adoption of laparoscopy. Gallbladder spillage during operation can disseminate cancer and worsen the prognosis...
- Kankariya V, Kymionis G, Diakonis V, Yoo S. Management of pediatric keratoconus - evolving role of corneal collagen cross-linking: an update. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013;61:435-40 pubmed publisher..This article will present an update about current management of pediatric keratoconus with special focus on CXL in this age group. ..
- Doyle T, Lee J, Dellaripa P, Lederer J, Matteson E, Fischer A, et al. A roadmap to promote clinical and translational research in rheumatoid arthritis-associated interstitial lung disease. Chest. 2014;145:454-463 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, recommendations are made to design multicenter collaborative studies that will expedite the development of clinical trials designed to decrease the significant morbidity and mortality associated with RA-ILD. ..
- Stadler D, Musser E, Holton K, Shannon J, Nigg J. Recalled Initiation and Duration of Maternal Breastfeeding Among Children with and Without ADHD in a Well Characterized Case-Control Sample. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2016;44:347-55 pubmed publisher..The direction of this effect is unknown, however. It may be that some children are more difficult to breastfeed or that breastfeeding provides nutrients or other benefits that reduce future chance of ADHD. ..
- Elisha B, Azar M, Taleb N, Bernard S, Iacobellis G, Rabasa Lhoret R. Body Composition and Epicardial Fat in Type 2 Diabetes Patients Following Insulin Detemir Versus Insulin Glargine Initiation. Horm Metab Res. 2016;48:42-7 pubmed publisher..65, p=0.06 and r=0.60, p=0.07). In conclusion, detemir resulted in less fat mass gain, a trend for a more pronounced epicardial fat thickness reduction when compared with glargine. ..
- Valeyev A, Hackman J, Holohean A, Wood P, Katz J, Davidoff R. GABA-Induced Cl- current in cultured embryonic human dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Neurophysiol. 1999;82:1-9 pubmed
- Berrocal A, Scott I, Miller D, Flynn H. Endophthalmitis caused by Moraxella osloensis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2002;240:329-30 pubmed..Unlike most series of delayed-onset, bleb-associated endophthalmitis the visual prognosis following treatment for endophthalmitis caused by Moraxella osloensis appears to be generally favorable. ..
- Pernas F, Younis R, Lehman D, Robinson P. Management of pediatric airway granular cell tumor: role of laryngotracheal reconstruction. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:957-63 pubmed..To discuss the role of laryngotracheal reconstruction (LTR) in granular cell tumor (GCT) and to highlight the importance and seriousness of GCT in pediatric airway cases...
- Gao Y, Di Pascuale M, Elizondo A, Tseng S. Clinical treatment of ocular demodecosis by lid scrub with tea tree oil. Cornea. 2007;26:136-43 pubmed..Lid scrub with TTO can effectively eradicate ocular Demodex and result in subjective and objective improvements. This preliminary positive result warrants future prospective investigation of Demodex pathogenicity. ..
- Altman J, Oeltjen J. Nasal deformities associated with orthognathic surgery: analysis, prevention, and correction. J Craniofac Surg. 2007;18:734-9 pubmed