Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Locale: Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Liu X, Wu Y, Zhou Y. Intracellular linkers are involved in Mg2+-dependent modulation of the Eag potassium channel. Channels (Austin). 2010;4:311-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest an important role of the intracellular linker regions in gating processes of Eag channels. ..
- Tamori Y, Bialucha C, Tian A, Kajita M, Huang Y, Norman M, et al. Involvement of Lgl and Mahjong/VprBP in cell competition. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000422 pubmed publisher..As far as we are aware, this is the first report that cell competition can occur in a mammalian cell culture system. ..
- Gladstein N, McKeon M, Horabin J. Requirement of male-specific dosage compensation in Drosophila females--implications of early X chromosome gene expression. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001041 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that before the female state is set, the ground state is male and female X chromosome expression is elevated. Females thus utilize the male dosage compensation process to amplify the signal which determines their fate. ..
- Sun J, Deng W. Hindsight mediates the role of notch in suppressing hedgehog signaling and cell proliferation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:431-42 pubmed..Our studies suggest that Hindsight bridges the two antagonistic pathways, Notch and Hedgehog, in the temporal regulation of follicle-cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Hock T, Cottrill T, Keegan J, Garza D. The E23 early gene of Drosophila encodes an ecdysone-inducible ATP-binding cassette transporter capable of repressing ecdysone-mediated gene activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9519-24 pubmed..Our results suggest the existence of a previously unrecognized regulatory mechanism for modulating steroid hormone signaling in Drosophila...
- Yu J, Zheng Y, Dong J, Klusza S, Deng W, Pan D. Kibra functions as a tumor suppressor protein that regulates Hippo signaling in conjunction with Merlin and Expanded. Dev Cell. 2010;18:288-99 pubmed publisher..These results shed light on the mechanism of Ex and Mer function and implicate Kibra as a potential tumor suppressor with relevance to neurofibromatosis. ..
- Poulton J, Huang Y, Smith L, Sun J, Leake N, Schleede J, et al. The microRNA pathway regulates the temporal pattern of Notch signaling in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2011;138:1737-45 pubmed publisher..Here we have uncovered a complex regulatory process in which the microRNA pathway promotes Notch activation by repressing Delta-mediated inhibition of Notch in follicle cells. ..
- Tian A, Tamori Y, Huang Y, Melendez N, Deng W. Efficient EGFR signaling and dorsal-ventral axis patterning requires syntaxin dependent Gurken trafficking. Dev Biol. 2013;373:349-58 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal that the Syx1A dependent trafficking of Grk protein is required for efficient EGFR signaling during DV patterning. ..
- Huang Y, Smith L, Poulton J, Deng W. The microRNA miR-7 regulates Tramtrack69 in a developmental switch in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2013;140:897-905 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal the important role miR-7 plays in developmental decision-making in association with signal-transduction pathways. ..
- Dalton J, Fear J, Knott S, Baker B, McIntyre L, Arbeitman M. Male-specific Fruitless isoforms have different regulatory roles conferred by distinct zinc finger DNA binding domains. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:659 pubmed publisher..These results add to our understanding of sex chromosome biology and further support the hypothesis that in some cell-types genes with male-biased expression are enriched on the X chromosome. ..
- Yan Y, Wang H, Hu M, Jiang L, Wang Y, Liu P, et al. HDAC6 Suppresses Age-Dependent Ectopic Fat Accumulation by Maintaining the Proteostasis of PLIN2 in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2017;43:99-111.e5 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that manipulation of proteostasis could be an alternative approach to the treatment of age-related metabolic diseases such as obesity and diabetes...
- Tomaiuolo M, Bertram R, Houle D. Enzyme isoforms may increase phenotypic robustness. Evolution. 2008;62:2884-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show that controlling isoform proportion can be a powerful mechanism for reducing the effects of variations in the values of system parameters, increasing system robustness. ..
- Sun J, Deng W. Notch-dependent downregulation of the homeodomain gene cut is required for the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2005;132:4299-308 pubmed..Our data suggest that Cut functions in regulating both cell differentiation and the cell cycle, and that downregulation of Cut by Notch contributes to the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in follicle cells. ..