Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on amino acid sequence in University Park, Florida, United States
Locale: University Park, Florida, United States
Topic: amino acid sequence
- Jensen P, Rytter J, Detwiler E, Travis J, McNellis T. Rootstock effects on gene expression patterns in apple tree scions. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;53:493-511 pubmed..The roles that the differentially expressed genes might play in tree stature, stress tolerance, photosynthetic activity, fire blight resistance, and other differences conferred by the two rootstocks are discussed...
- Iwata Y, Nishino T, Takayama S, Koizumi N. Characterization of a plant-specific gene induced by endoplasmic reticulum stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:2087-91 pubmed..It was localized at the ER when fused with a fluorescent protein. These results represent a first step toward elucidating the molecular function of TIN1. ..
- Price M, Lai Z. The yan gene is highly conserved in Drosophila and its expression suggests a complex role throughout development. Dev Genes Evol. 1999;209:207-17 pubmed..Ovarian follicle cells also contain Yan protein. Conservation of the structure and expression patterns of yan genes strongly suggests that regulatory mechanisms for their expression are also conserved in these two species...
- Rasche M, Smith K, Ferry J. Identification of cysteine and arginine residues essential for the phosphotransacetylase from Methanosarcina thermophila. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:7712-7 pubmed..Five arginines were individually replaced with glutamine. Kinetic analysis of the altered enzymes identified R310 as essential for activity. Of the four nonessential for activity, R87 and R133 appear to be involved in binding CoA...
- Schluchter W, Shen G, Zhao J, Bryant D. Characterization of psaI and psaL mutants of Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7002: a new model for state transitions in cyanobacteria. Photochem Photobiol. 1996;64:53-66 pubmed..A "mobile-PS I" model for state transitions that incorporates these ideas is discussed...
- Marolewski A, Smith J, Benkovic S. Cloning and characterization of a new purine biosynthetic enzyme: a non-folate glycinamide ribonucleotide transformylase from E. coli. Biochemistry. 1994;33:2531-7 pubmed..The purT GAR transformylase is the first unknown de novo purine biosynthetic enzyme to be discovered in the last 30 years and represents another step forward in understanding cellular control of purine levels. ..
- Sharma M, Cortés Cruz M, Ahern K, McMullen M, Brutnell T, Chopra S. Identification of the pr1 gene product completes the anthocyanin biosynthesis pathway of maize. Genetics. 2011;188:69-79 pubmed publisher..The cloning and characterization of pr1 completes the molecular identification of all genes encoding structural enzymes of the anthocyanin pathway of maize...
- Huang P, Jheng J, Arnold J, Wang J, Cameron C, Shih S. UGGT1 enhances enterovirus 71 pathogenicity by promoting viral RNA synthesis and viral replication. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006375 pubmed publisher..These findings provide important insight on the role of UPR and host UGGT1 in regulating RNA virus replication and pathogenicity. ..
- Zhang Y, Fernández Aparicio M, Wafula E, DAS M, Jiao Y, Wickett N, et al. Evolution of a horizontally acquired legume gene, albumin 1, in the parasitic plant Phelipanche aegyptiaca and related species. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:48 pubmed publisher..There is increasing evidence that parasitic plants have served as recipients and donors of horizontal gene transfer (HGT), but the long-term impacts of eukaryotic HGT in parasitic plants are largely unknown...
- Flaveny C, Reen R, Kusnadi A, Perdew G. The mouse and human Ah receptor differ in recognition of LXXLL motifs. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;471:215-23 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the human and mouse AhR may display differential recruitment of coactivators and hence may exhibit divergent regulation of target genes. ..
- Maresca J, Gomez Maqueo Chew A, Ponsatí M, Frigaard N, Ormerod J, Bryant D. The bchU gene of Chlorobium tepidum encodes the c-20 methyltransferase in bacteriochlorophyll c biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2558-66 pubmed
- Hernandez D, Phillips A. Ser-143 is an essential active site residue in histidine ammonia-lyase of Pseudomonas putida. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;201:1433-8 pubmed..These results support the hypothesis that Ser-143 is the binding site for an as yet unidentified histidase cofactor. ..
- Galletta B, Niu X, Erickson M, Abmayr S. Identification of a Drosophila homologue to vertebrate Crk by interaction with MBC. Gene. 1999;228:243-52 pubmed..During embryogenesis, the spatial distribution of this transcript is relatively broad and appears to include all germ layers. Finally, dCrk is located on the fourth chromosome, approximately at cytological position 101F-102A. ..
- Chicca J, Auble D, Pugh B. Cloning and biochemical characterization of TAF-172, a human homolog of yeast Mot1. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1701-10 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest that human TAF-172 is the functional homolog of yeast Mot1 and uses the energy of ATP hydrolysis to remove TBP (but apparently not TBP-TAF complexes) from DNA. ..
- deJong J, Chang C, Whang Peng J, Knutsen T, Tu C. The human liver glutathione S-transferase gene superfamily: expression and chromosome mapping of an Hb subunit cDNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:8541-54 pubmed..Results from many laboratories, including ours, indicate that the human glutathione S-transferases are encoded by a gene superfamily which is located on at least two different chromosomes. ..
- Balczarek K, Lai Z, Kumar S. Evolution of functional diversification of the paired box (Pax) DNA-binding domains. Mol Biol Evol. 1997;14:829-42 pubmed..Implications of such fixed amino acid differences in potentially generating sequence recognition specificities are discussed in the context of some recent experimental findings. ..
- Cosgrove D, Bedinger P, Durachko D. Group I allergens of grass pollen as cell wall-loosening agents. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6559-64 pubmed..Additionally, the presence of related mRNAs in vegetative tissues of rice, Arabidopsis, and soybean implies that allergen homologs may function to loosen walls in growing vegetative tissues as well. ..
- Goodfellow I, Pollitt C, Sockett R. Cloning of the fliI gene from Rhodobacter sphaeroides WS8 by analysis of a transposon mutant with impaired motility. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1996;142:111-6 pubmed..This null strain also produced a low percentage of motile cells. Possible reasons for this apparent fliI-independent flagellar formation are discussed. ..
- Young C, Bernlohr R. Elongation factor Tu is methylated in response to nutrient deprivation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:3096-100 pubmed..We propose that the nutrient-dependent methylation of EF-Tu may be involved in the regulation of growth, possibly as a principal component of an unidentified signal transduction pathway in bacteria. ..
- Toung Y, Hsieh T, Tu C. The Drosophila glutathione S-transferase 1-1 is encoded by an intronless gene at 87B. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991;178:1205-11 pubmed..We report that the glutathione S-transferase activity in Kco cells as determined by conjugation with 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene is elevated slightly to two-fold under heat shock. The implication of this finding is discussed. ..
- Psathas J, Zheng S, Tan S, Reese J. Set2-dependent K36 methylation is regulated by novel intratail interactions within H3. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:6413-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that Set2 activity is controlled by novel intratail interactions which can be influenced by modifications and changes to the structure of the H3 tail to control the dynamics and localization of methylation during elongation. ..
- Steinberg L, Trimble J, Logan B. Enzymes responsible for chlorate reduction by Pseudomonas sp. are different from those used for perchlorate reduction by Azospira sp. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;247:153-9 pubmed
- Heng Y, Kuo C, Jones P, Savory R, Schulz R, Tomlinson S, et al. A novel murine P-450 gene, Cyp4a14, is part of a cluster of Cyp4a and Cyp4b, but not of CYP4F, genes in mouse and humans. Biochem J. 1997;325 ( Pt 3):741-9 pubmed..However, the human CYP4F2 gene was mapped to chromosome 19. Phylogenetic analysis of the CYP4 gene families demonstrated that CYP4A and CYP4B are more closely related than CYP4F. ..
- Inglese J, Johnson D, Shiau A, Smith J, Benkovic S. Subcloning, characterization, and affinity labeling of Escherichia coli glycinamide ribonucleotide transformylase. Biochemistry. 1990;29:1436-43 pubmed..The ionization state of the cofactor analogue in the enzyme-cofactor complex appears to require the dissociation of the proton at N3 of the pyrimidine within the complex. ..
- Consevage M, Phillips A. Sequence analysis of the hutH gene encoding histidine ammonia-lyase in Pseudomonas putida. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:2224-9 pubmed
- Pantazes R, Maranas C. OptCDR: a general computational method for the design of antibody complementarity determining regions for targeted epitope binding. Protein Eng Des Sel. 2010;23:849-58 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that OptCDR can efficiently generate diverse antibody libraries of a pre-specified size with promising antigen affinity potential as exemplified by computationally derived binding metrics. ..
- Georgelis N, Nikolaidis N, Cosgrove D. Biochemical analysis of expansin-like proteins from microbes. Carbohydr Polym. 2014;100:17-23 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the convenient expression of several expansins in Escherichia coli makes a future comparative structure-function analysis among expansins possible in order to understand their activity at the molecular level. ..
- Shcherban T, Shi J, Durachko D, Guiltinan M, McQueen Mason S, Shieh M, et al. Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of expansins--a highly conserved, multigene family of proteins that mediate cell wall extension in plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:9245-9 pubmed..The high conservation of this multigene family indicates that the mechanism by which expansins promote wall extensin tolerates little variation in protein structure...
- Phillips K, Skirpan A, Liu X, Christensen A, Slewinski T, Hudson C, et al. vanishing tassel2 encodes a grass-specific tryptophan aminotransferase required for vegetative and reproductive development in maize. Plant Cell. 2011;23:550-66 pubmed publisher..Therefore, both spi1 and vt2 function in auxin biosynthesis in maize, possibly in the same pathway rather than independently as previously proposed. ..
- Ferry J. The gamma class of carbonic anhydrases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1804:374-81 pubmed publisher..A physiological function for any of the Cam and CamH homologs is unknown, although roles in transport of carbon dioxide and bicarbonate across membranes has been proposed. ..
- Wengender P, Miller K. Identification of a PutP proline permease gene homolog from Staphylococcus aureus by expression cloning of the high-affinity proline transport system in Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1995;61:252-9 pubmed..coli. Analysis of hydropathy also indicated a common overall structure for these proteins. ..
- Pei Z, Harrison M, Schmitt A. Parainfluenza virus 5 m protein interaction with host protein 14-3-3 negatively affects virus particle formation. J Virol. 2011;85:2050-9 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which a portion of M protein within PIV5-infected cells is phosphorylated at residue S369, binds the 14-3-3 protein, and is held away from sites of virus budding...
- Pandey S, Nelson D, Assmann S. Two novel GPCR-type G proteins are abscisic acid receptors in Arabidopsis. Cell. 2009;136:136-48 pubmed publisher..We propose that GTG proteins function both as a new type of G protein and as a class of membrane-localized ABA receptors. ..
- Tsukatani Y, Wen J, Blankenship R, Bryant D. Characterization of the FMO protein from the aerobic chlorophototroph, Candidatus Chloracidobacterium thermophilum. Photosynth Res. 2010;104:201-9 pubmed publisher..The results imply that, without changing pigment composition or structure dramatically, the FMO protein has acquired properties that allow it to perform light harvesting efficiently under aerobic conditions. ..
- Klein B, Bose D, Baker K, Yusoff Z, Zhang X, Murakami K. RNA polymerase and transcription elongation factor Spt4/5 complex structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:546-50 pubmed publisher..These structures reveal that the cellular RNA polymerases also use a strategy of encircling DNA to enhance its processivity as commonly observed for many nucleic acid processing enzymes including DNA polymerases and helicases...
- Rhiel E, Stirewalt V, Gasparich G, Bryant D. The psaC genes of Synechococcus sp. PCC7002 and Cyanophora paradoxa: cloning and sequence analysis. Gene. 1992;112:123-8 pubmed..In contrast to results obtained for chloroplasts and for the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC6803, neither psaC gene is flanked by genes encoding components of the NAD(P)H dehydrogenase complex. ..
- Quan L, Xiao R, Li W, Oh S, Kong H, Ambrose J, et al. Functional divergence of the duplicated AtKIN14a and AtKIN14b genes: critical roles in Arabidopsis meiosis and gametophyte development. Plant J. 2008;53:1013-26 pubmed
- Ramachandran R, Ocón Grove O, Metzger S. Molecular cloning and tissue expression of chicken AdipoR1 and AdipoR2 complementary deoxyribonucleic acids. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2007;33:19-31 pubmed..05). We conclude that the AdipoR1 and AdipoR2 genes are ubiquitously expressed in chicken tissues and that their expression is altered by feed deprivation in the anterior pituitary gland and adipose tissue. ..
- Zhao K, Cui L. Molecular characterization of the major virion protein gene from the Trichoplusia ni ascovirus. Virus Genes. 2003;27:93-102 pubmed..The apparent differences between Ascoviridae and Iridoviridae in host range, virion morphology, and genome configuration, and the similarities in genes and methylation of genomic DNA were discussed...
- Yennawar N, Dunbar J, Conway M, Hutson S, Farber G. The structure of human mitochondrial branched-chain aminotransferase. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2001;57:506-15 pubmed
- Leicht B, Lyckegaard E, Benedict C, Clark A. Conservation of alternative splicing and genomic organization of the myosin alkali light-chain (Mlc1) gene among Drosophila species. Mol Biol Evol. 1993;10:769-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that evolutionary constraints are acting on both the coding and noncoding sequences of the Mlc1 gene to maintain proper expression and function of the two MLC1 polypeptides. ..
- Weiss K, Bollekens J, Ruddle F, Takashita K. Distal-less and other homeobox genes in the development of the dentition. J Exp Zool. 1994;270:273-84 pubmed..The screening approach with degenerate primers is a successful way to identify new as well as previously known regulatory genes expressed in developing tooth embryos. ..
- Robertson J, Desai P, Kumar A, Farrington G, Fitzpatrick P, Villafranca J. Primary amino acid sequence of bovine dopamine beta-hydroxylase. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:1029-35 pubmed..95, and, therefore, that it is 28% lower than the previously determined value. The data also identify 5 His-containing regions that may be involved in Cu2+ coordination at the active site. ..
- Fisher K, Aronson N. Characterization of the mutation responsible for aspartylglucosaminuria in three Finnish patients. Amino acid substitution Cys163----Ser abolishes the activity of lysosomal glycosylasparaginase and its conversion into subunits. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:12105-13 pubmed..Cell-free expression of the single-chain glycosylasparaginase precusor did not produce an active enzyme, suggesting that post-translational generation of subunits may be required for catalytic activity. ..
- Skirpan A, Culler A, Gallavotti A, Jackson D, Cohen J, McSteen P. BARREN INFLORESCENCE2 interaction with ZmPIN1a suggests a role in auxin transport during maize inflorescence development. Plant Cell Physiol. 2009;50:652-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, bif2 mutant inflorescences have lower auxin levels later in development. We propose that BIF2 regulates auxin transport through direct regulation of ZmPIN1a during maize inflorescence development. ..
- Zahn L, Leebens Mack J, Arrington J, Hu Y, Landherr L, dePamphilis C, et al. Conservation and divergence in the AGAMOUS subfamily of MADS-box genes: evidence of independent sub- and neofunctionalization events. Evol Dev. 2006;8:30-45 pubmed
- Bour B, Chakravarti M, West J, Abmayr S. Drosophila SNS, a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily that is essential for myoblast fusion. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1498-511 pubmed..To these ends, we demonstrate that the presence of SNS-expressing cells is absolutely dependent on Notch, and that expression of SNS does not require the myogenic regulatory protein MEF2. ..
- Bell A, Savory R, Horley N, Choudhury A, Dickins M, Gray T, et al. Molecular basis of non-responsiveness to peroxisome proliferators: the guinea-pig PPARalpha is functional and mediates peroxisome proliferator-induced hypolipidaemia. Biochem J. 1998;332 ( Pt 3):689-93 pubmed..Thus the guinea pig is a useful model for human responses to peroxisome proliferators...
- Chung S, Bryant D. Characterization of csmB genes, encoding a 7.5-kDa protein of the chlorosome envelope, from the green sulfur bacteria Chlorobium vibrioforme 8327D and Chlorobium tepidum. Arch Microbiol. 1996;166:234-44 pubmed..Protease susceptibility mapping and agglutination experiments with isolated chlorosomes using anti-CsmB antibodies indicate that the CsmB protein is a component of the chlorosome envelope. ..
- Allison S, Phillips A. Nucleotide sequence of the gene encoding the repressor for the histidine utilization genes of Pseudomonas putida. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:5470-6 pubmed..A second open reading frame (ORF2) would encode a 21,155-dalton protein, but because this region could be deleted with only a slight effect on repressor activity, it is not likely to be involved in repressor function or structure...
- Miller K, McKinstry M, Hunt W, Nixon B. Identification of the diacylglycerol kinase structural gene of Rhizobium meliloti 1021. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 1992;5:363-71 pubmed..meliloti 1021 should further elucidate the roles of the cyclic beta-1,2-glucans in the Rhizobium-legume symbiosis. ..