Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications154 found, 100 shown here
- Gritsman K, Zhang J, Cheng S, Heckscher E, Talbot W, Schier A. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell. 1999;97:121-32 pubmed..Expression of the murine EGF-CFC gene cripto rescues oep mutants. These results suggest a conserved role for EGF-CFC proteins as essential extracellular cofactors for Nodal signaling during vertebrate development. ..
- Chen Y, Schier A. Lefty proteins are long-range inhibitors of squint-mediated nodal signaling. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2124-8 pubmed..We also find that Lefty restricts the response to both high and low levels of Nodal signaling. These results indicate that Lefty proteins restrict the activity range of Nodal signals by dampening Nodal signaling in surrounding cells...
- Lopez Schier H, Hudspeth A. Supernumerary neuromasts in the posterior lateral line of zebrafish lacking peripheral glia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1496-501 pubmed..Our results indicate that the development of these intercalary neuromasts occurs principally because of the absence of neural crest-derived peripheral glia, which evidently inhibit the assembly of interneuromast cells into neuromasts. ..
- Schoenebeck J, Keegan B, Yelon D. Vessel and blood specification override cardiac potential in anterior mesoderm. Dev Cell. 2007;13:254-67 pubmed..This regulatory relationship between cardiovascular pathways suggests strategies for directing progenitor cell differentiation to facilitate cardiac regeneration. ..
- Thirumalai V, Cline H. Endogenous dopamine suppresses initiation of swimming in prefeeding zebrafish larvae. J Neurophysiol. 2008;100:1635-48 pubmed publisher..These results led us to propose that endogenous dopamine release transiently suppresses swim circuits in developing zebrafish. ..
- Ma L, Punnamoottil B, Rinkwitz S, Baker R. Mosaic hoxb4a neuronal pleiotropism in zebrafish caudal hindbrain. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5944 pubmed publisher..Hence, the ubiquitous hoxb4a pleitropism and modularity likely offer an adaptable transcriptional element for circuit modification during both growth and evolution. ..
- Buczkowicz P, Hoeman C, Rakopoulos P, Pajovic S, Létourneau L, Dzamba M, et al. Genomic analysis of diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas identifies three molecular subgroups and recurrent activating ACVR1 mutations. Nat Genet. 2014;46:451-6 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight distinct molecular subgroups and novel therapeutic targets for this incurable pediatric cancer. ..
- Jevince A, Kadison S, Pittman A, Chien C, Kaprielian Z. Distribution of EphB receptors and ephrin-B1 in the developing vertebrate spinal cord. J Comp Neurol. 2006;497:734-50 pubmed..In addition, we unexpectedly find that mesenchymal cells, which surround the spinal cord and dorsal root ganglion, express ephrin-B1. ..
- Waxman J, Keegan B, Roberts R, Poss K, Yelon D. Hoxb5b acts downstream of retinoic acid signaling in the forelimb field to restrict heart field potential in zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2008;15:923-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results offer new perspectives on the mechanisms regulating organ size and the possible causes of congenital syndromes affecting both the heart and forelimb. ..
- Lyons P, Ma L, Baker R, Fricker L. Carboxypeptidase A6 in zebrafish development and implications for VIth cranial nerve pathfinding. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12967 pubmed publisher..If mutations in CPA6 contribute to Duane syndrome, our results also suggest that Duane syndrome can be a chondrogenic rather than a myogenic or neurogenic developmental disorder. ..
- Yelon D. Cardiac patterning and morphogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:552-63 pubmed..Altogether, these data provide a substantial foundation for future investigations of cardiac patterning, cardiac morphogenesis, and the relationship between these processes. ..
- Kok F, Oster E, Mentzer L, Hsieh J, Henry C, Sirotkin H. The role of the SPT6 chromatin remodeling factor in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;307:214-26 pubmed..However, additional Spt6 mutant phenotypes are likely caused by vital functions of Spt6 in other pathways. ..
- Mudbhary R, Hoshida Y, Chernyavskaya Y, Jacob V, Villanueva A, Fiel M, et al. UHRF1 overexpression drives DNA hypomethylation and hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Cell. 2014;25:196-209 pubmed publisher..We propose that UHRF1 overexpression is a mechanism underlying DNA hypomethylation in cancer cells and that senescence is a primary means of restricting tumorigenesis due to epigenetic disruption...
- TARGOFF K, Colombo S, George V, Schell T, Kim S, Solnica Krezel L, et al. Nkx genes are essential for maintenance of ventricular identity. Development. 2013;140:4203-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results are relevant to the etiologies of fetal and neonatal cardiac pathology and could direct future innovations in cardiac regenerative medicine...
- Sanna Cherchi S, Khan K, Westland R, Krithivasan P, Fievet L, Rasouly H, et al. Exome-wide Association Study Identifies GREB1L Mutations in Congenital Kidney Malformations. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:789-802 pubmed publisher..Together, our study provides insight into the genetic landscape of kidney malformations in humans, presents multiple candidates, and identifies SLIT3 and GREB1L as genes implicated in the pathogenesis of RHD. ..
- Keegan B, Meyer D, Yelon D. Organization of cardiac chamber progenitors in the zebrafish blastula. Development. 2004;131:3081-91 pubmed..Indeed, via fate mapping, we demonstrate that Nodal signaling promotes ventricular fate specification near the margin, thereby playing an important early role during myocardial patterning...
- Ono F, Shcherbatko A, Higashijima S, Mandel G, Brehm P. The Zebrafish motility mutant twitch once reveals new roles for rapsyn in synaptic function. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6491-8 pubmed..These findings offer insights into the physiological basis of human myasthenic syndrome and reveal the first demonstration of a role for rapsyn in regulating synaptic function. ..
- Lyons P, Fricker L. Carboxypeptidase O is a glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored intestinal peptidase with acidic amino acid specificity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39023-32 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CPO cleaves acidic amino acids from dietary proteins and peptides, thus complementing the actions of well known digestive carboxypeptidases CPA and CPB. ..
- Giraldez A, Cinalli R, Glasner M, Enright A, Thomson J, Baskerville S, et al. MicroRNAs regulate brain morphogenesis in zebrafish. Science. 2005;308:833-8 pubmed..Injection of miR-430 miRNAs rescues the brain defects in MZdicer mutants, revealing essential roles for miRNAs during morphogenesis. ..
- Glickman M, Schluger N. Adding Insult to Injury: Exacerbating TB Risk with Smoking. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:432-3 pubmed publisher..2016) using the zebrafish model of Mycobacterium marinum infection provides new insights into the role of macrophage lysosomal engorgement in compromising host defense against mycobacteria. ..
- Giraldez A, Mishima Y, Rihel J, Grocock R, van Dongen S, Inoue K, et al. Zebrafish MiR-430 promotes deadenylation and clearance of maternal mRNAs. Science. 2006;312:75-9 pubmed..We also show that miR-430 accelerates the deadenylation of target mRNAs. These results suggest that miR-430 facilitates the deadenylation and clearance of maternal mRNAs during early embryogenesis. ..
- Arif Pavel M, Lv C, Ng C, Yang L, Kashyap P, Lam C, et al. Function and regulation of TRPP2 ion channel revealed by a gain-of-function mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2363-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, we established a GOF TRPP2 channel that can serve as a powerful tool for studying the function and regulation of TRPP2. The GOF channel may also have potential application for developing new therapeutic strategies for ADPKD. ..
- Toyoshima Y, Monson C, Duan C, Wu Y, Gao C, Yakar S, et al. The role of insulin receptor signaling in zebrafish embryogenesis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:5996-6005 pubmed publisher..These results clearly demonstrate that IR signaling plays essential roles in vertebrate embryogenesis and growth. ..
- Bai C, Tolias P. Drosophila clipper/CPSF 30K is a post-transcriptionally regulated nuclear protein that binds RNA containing GC clusters. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:1597-604 pubmed..These results support the existence of a distinct mechanism controlling eukaryotic gene expression through the regulated processing of pre-mRNAs in the nucleus. ..
- Totong R, Schell T, Lescroart F, Ryckebusch L, Lin Y, Zygmunt T, et al. The novel transmembrane protein Tmem2 is essential for coordination of myocardial and endocardial morphogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4199-205 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal that Tmem2 is an essential mediator of myocardium-endocardium coordination during cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- DeRossi C, Vacaru A, Rafiq R, Cinaroglu A, Imrie D, Nayar S, et al. trappc11 is required for protein glycosylation in zebrafish and humans. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1220-34 pubmed publisher..These data point to a previously unanticipated and conserved role for TRAPPC11 in LLO biosynthesis and protein glycosylation in addition to its established function in vesicle trafficking. ..
- Liu K, Gray M, Otto S, Fetcho J, Beattie C. Mutations in deadly seven/notch1a reveal developmental plasticity in the escape response circuit. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8159-66 pubmed..Such plasticity may be key to the evolution of the startle responses in mammals, which use larger populations of neurons in circuits similar to those in the fish escape response. ..
- Brott B, Sokol S. Frodo proteins: modulators of Wnt signaling in vertebrate development. Differentiation. 2005;73:323-9 pubmed..The identification of Frd-associated factors and cellular targets of the Frd proteins should shed light on the molecular mechanisms underlying Frd functions in embryonic development and in cancer. ..
- Yuan P, Leonetti M, Hsiung Y, MacKinnon R. Open structure of the Ca2+ gating ring in the high-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel. Nature. 2011;481:94-7 pubmed publisher..These findings present a molecular basis for Ca(2+) activation of K(+) channels and suggest new possibilities for targeting the gating ring to treat conditions such as asthma and hypertension. ..
- Donlin L, Andresen C, Just S, Rudensky E, Pappas C, Kruger M, et al. Smyd2 controls cytoplasmic lysine methylation of Hsp90 and myofilament organization. Genes Dev. 2012;26:114-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data reveal a cytoplasmic protein network that employs lysine methylation for the maintenance and function of skeletal muscle...
- Wang H. WNT-frizzled signaling via cyclic GMP. Front Biosci. 2004;9:1043-7 pubmed..The molecular features of how changes in intracellular cyclic GMP concentrations control development remain to be elucidated. ..
- Passeri M, Cinaroglu A, Gao C, Sadler K. Hepatic steatosis in response to acute alcohol exposure in zebrafish requires sterol regulatory element binding protein activation. Hepatology. 2009;49:443-52 pubmed publisher..Srebp activation is required for steatosis in this model. The tractability of zebrafish genetics provides a valuable tool for dissecting the molecular pathogenesis of acute ALD. ..
- Pataky F, Pironkova R, Hudspeth A. Radixin is a constituent of stereocilia in hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:2601-6 pubmed..Labeling with anti-ezrin produced no signal in hair bundles. Radixin is thus a prominent constituent of stereocilia, where it may participate in anchoring the "pointed" ends of actin filaments to the membrane. ..
- Knaut H, Blader P, Strahle U, Schier A. Assembly of trigeminal sensory ganglia by chemokine signaling. Neuron. 2005;47:653-66 pubmed..These results indicate that ganglion formation depends on the interplay of birthplace, chemokine attraction, cell-cell interaction, and cadherin-mediated adhesion. ..
- Howarth D, Vacaru A, Tsedensodnom O, Mormone E, Nieto N, Costantini L, et al. Alcohol disrupts endoplasmic reticulum function and protein secretion in hepatocytes. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;36:14-23 pubmed publisher..Ethanol metabolism directly impairs ER structure and function in hepatocytes. Zebrafish are a novel in vivo system for studying ALD. ..
- White R, Rose K, Zon L. Zebrafish cancer: the state of the art and the path forward. Nat Rev Cancer. 2013;13:624-36 pubmed publisher..Moreover, increasingly sophisticated modelling of combinations of genetic and epigenetic alterations will allow the zebrafish to complement what can be achieved in other models, such as mouse and human cell culture systems. ..
- Liu F, Zhang Z, CSANADY L, Gadsby D, Chen J. Molecular Structure of the Human CFTR Ion Channel. Cell. 2017;169:85-95.e8 pubmed publisher..From comparison with MRP1, a feature distinguishing CFTR from all other ABC transporters is the helix-loop transition in transmembrane helix 8, which likely forms the structural basis for CFTR's channel function. ..
- Nöbauer T, Skocek O, Pernía Andrade A, Weilguny L, Traub F, Molodtsov M, et al. Video rate volumetric Ca2+ imaging across cortex using seeded iterative demixing (SID) microscopy. Nat Methods. 2017;14:811-818 pubmed publisher..We expect that the simplicity and scalability of LFM, coupled with the performance of SID, will open up a range of applications including closed-loop experiments. ..
- Jung D, Williams D, Khersonsky S, Kang T, Heidary N, Chang Y, et al. Identification of the F1F0 mitochondrial ATPase as a target for modulating skin pigmentation by screening a tagged triazine library in zebrafish. Mol Biosyst. 2005;1:85-92 pubmed
- Schlessinger K, Hall A, Tolwinski N. Wnt signaling pathways meet Rho GTPases. Genes Dev. 2009;23:265-77 pubmed publisher..It appears that Rho GTPases integrate Wnt-induced signals spatially and temporally to promote morphological and transcriptional changes affecting cell behavior. ..
- Imrie D, Sadler K. White adipose tissue development in zebrafish is regulated by both developmental time and fish size. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3013-23 pubmed publisher..6 mm standard length contained the adult repertoire of WAT depots. Pancreatic, esophageal, and subcutaneous WAT appearance correlated with size, not age, as found for other features appearing during postembryonic zebrafish development. ..
- Sundaravel S, Duggan R, Bhagat T, Ebenezer D, Liu H, Yu Y, et al. Reduced DOCK4 expression leads to erythroid dysplasia in myelodysplastic syndromes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E6359-68 pubmed publisher..These data identify DOCK4 as a putative 7q gene whose reduced expression can lead to erythroid dysplasia. ..
- Schreiber Agus N, Chin L, Chen K, Torres R, Thomson C, Sacchettini J, et al. Evolutionary relationships and functional conservation among vertebrate Max-associated proteins: the zebra fish homolog of Mxi1. Oncogene. 1994;9:3167-77 pubmed
- Lopez Schier H, Hudspeth A. A two-step mechanism underlies the planar polarization of regenerating sensory hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18615-20 pubmed..This mechanism may represent a general principle governing the long-term maintenance of planar cell polarity in remodeling epithelia. ..
- Santos Ledo A, García Macia M, Campbell P, Gronska M, Marlow F. Kinesin-1 promotes chondrocyte maintenance during skeletal morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006918 pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, we show essential Kif5B functions in promoting cartilage remodeling and chondrocyte maintenance during zebrafish craniofacial morphogenesis. ..
- Monson C, Sadler K. Inbreeding depression and outbreeding depression are evident in wild-type zebrafish lines. Zebrafish. 2010;7:189-97 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence needed to further characterize commonly used WT zebrafish lines. We suggest that to maintain lines that mate frequently and yield large clutches, hybrid females of known backgrounds should be used. ..
- Kollmar R, Nakamura S, Kappler J, Hudspeth A. Expression and phylogeny of claudins in vertebrate primordia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:10196-201 pubmed..We propose that tight junctions not only form barriers in mature epithelia, but also participate in vertebrate morphogenesis. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..
- Cheng S, Olale F, Bennett J, Brivanlou A, Schier A. EGF-CFC proteins are essential coreceptors for the TGF-beta signals Vg1 and GDF1. Genes Dev. 2003;17:31-6 pubmed..These results establish that multiple TGF-beta signals converge on Activin receptor/EGF-CFC complexes and suggest a more widespread requirement for coreceptors in TGF-beta signaling than anticipated previously. ..
- Kunwar P, Zimmerman S, Bennett J, Chen Y, Whitman M, Schier A. Mixer/Bon and FoxH1/Sur have overlapping and divergent roles in Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction. Development. 2003;130:5589-99 pubmed
- Higashijima S, Mandel G, Fetcho J. Distribution of prospective glutamatergic, glycinergic, and GABAergic neurons in embryonic and larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2004;480:1-18 pubmed..The differences in the distribution of excitatory and inhibitory neurons in spinal cord versus hindbrain may be tied to differences in their patterns of development and functional organization. ..
- Goll M, Halpern M. DNA methylation in zebrafish. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2011;101:193-218 pubmed publisher..In addition, emerging strategies are highlighted that use the fish model to address some of the key unanswered questions in DNA methylation research. ..
- Schumacher J, Bloomekatz J, Garavito Aguilar Z, Yelon D. tal1 Regulates the formation of intercellular junctions and the maintenance of identity in the endocardium. Dev Biol. 2013;383:214-26 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose a model in which Tal1 has distinct roles in regulating the formation of endocardial intercellular junctions and maintaining endocardial identity...
- Venkiteswaran G, Lewellis S, Wang J, Reynolds E, Nicholson C, Knaut H. Generation and dynamics of an endogenous, self-generated signaling gradient across a migrating tissue. Cell. 2013;155:674-87 pubmed publisher..The rear of the primordium generates this gradient through continuous sequestration of Sdf1 protein by the alternate Sdf1-receptor Cxcr7. Modeling shows that this is a physically plausible scenario. ..
- Schreiber Agus N, Horner J, Torres R, Chiu F, DePinho R. Zebra fish myc family and max genes: differential expression and oncogenic activity throughout vertebrate evolution. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:2765-75 pubmed
- Kappler J, Starr C, Chan D, Kollmar R, Hudspeth A. A nonsense mutation in the gene encoding a zebrafish myosin VI isoform causes defects in hair-cell mechanotransduction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:13056-61 pubmed..The ru920 line therefore provides an animal model with which to study the role of class VI myosin proteins in mechanotransduction. ..
- Lopez Schier H, Starr C, Kappler J, Kollmar R, Hudspeth A. Directional cell migration establishes the axes of planar polarity in the posterior lateral-line organ of the zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2004;7:401-12 pubmed..We propose that the global orientation of hair cells relative to the body axes is established through an interaction between directional movement by primordial cells and the timing of neuromast maturation. ..
- Jelen N, Ule J, Zivin M, Darnell R. Evolution of Nova-dependent splicing regulation in the brain. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:1838-47 pubmed
- Marques S, Lee Y, Poss K, Yelon D. Reiterative roles for FGF signaling in the establishment of size and proportion of the zebrafish heart. Dev Biol. 2008;321:397-406 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that a single signaling pathway can act reiteratively to coordinate organ size and proportion. ..
- Choudhuri A, Evans T, Maitra U. Non-core subunit eIF3h of translation initiation factor eIF3 regulates zebrafish embryonic development. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1632-44 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the non-core subunits of eIF3 regulate specific developmental programs during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Wang W, Ni L, Yu Q, Xiong J, Liu H, Rosenwaks Z. Expression of the Lycat gene in the mouse cardiovascular and female reproductive systems. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1827-37 pubmed publisher..5, suggests its potential roles in regulating cardiac, smooth muscle, hematopoietic and endothelial lineages. Promoter mapping assay by transient transgenesis identifies a novel cardiac-specific regulatory region in the Lycat locus. ..
- Steiner A, Kim T, Cabot V, Hudspeth A. Dynamic gene expression by putative hair-cell progenitors during regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E1393-401 pubmed publisher..These results provide a resource for studying hair-cell regeneration and the biology of sensory progenitor cells. ..
- Zhang J, Talbot W, Schier A. Positional cloning identifies zebrafish one-eyed pinhead as a permissive EGF-related ligand required during gastrulation. Cell. 1998;92:241-51 pubmed..These results establish an essential but permissive role for an EGF-related ligand during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Karlstrom R, Talbot W, Schier A. Comparative synteny cloning of zebrafish you-too: mutations in the Hedgehog target gli2 affect ventral forebrain patterning. Genes Dev. 1999;13:388-93 pubmed..These findings reveal that truncated zebrafish Gli2 proteins interfere with Hh signaling necessary for differentiation and axon guidance in the ventral forebrain. ..
- Greenwood J, Gautier J. From oogenesis through gastrulation: developmental regulation of apoptosis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:215-24 pubmed
- Ni Komatsu L, Orlow S. Identification of novel pigmentation modulators by chemical genetic screening. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:1585-92 pubmed..Results from our screenings provide potential active agents and targets for the medical and aesthetic treatment of disorders of pigmentation. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Chu J, Loughlin E, Gaur N, SenBanerjee S, Jacob V, Monson C, et al. UHRF1 phosphorylation by cyclin A2/cyclin-dependent kinase 2 is required for zebrafish embryogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:59-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these data point to an essential role for UHRF1 phosphorylation by CDK/CCNA2 during early vertebrate development. ..
- Almond K, Trombetta L. The effects of copper pyrithione, an antifouling agent, on developing zebrafish embryos. Ecotoxicology. 2016;25:389-98 pubmed publisher..The abnormalities and deformities observed in fish larvae would significantly decrease survival in polluted aqua-systems and question the use of this product as an antifouling agent. ..
- Harrington J, Sorabella R, Tercek A, Isler J, TARGOFF K. Nkx2.5 is essential to establish normal heart rate variability in the zebrafish embryo. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;313:R265-R271 pubmed publisher..5 in maintaining normal heart rate and HRV during early conduction system development. ..
- Tanaka H, Abe K, Kim C. Cloning and expression of the quaking gene in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 1997;69:209-13 pubmed..The insertion of the 123 nucleotide sequence could be related to the acquisition of a neural function for the gene. ..
- Schier A, Talbot W. Nodal signaling and the zebrafish organizer. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:289-97 pubmed..The combination of genetic, molecular and embryological approaches in zebrafish has thus provided a framework to understand the mechanisms underlying organizer development. ..
- Higashijima S, Masino M, Mandel G, Fetcho J. Imaging neuronal activity during zebrafish behavior with a genetically encoded calcium indicator. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:3986-97 pubmed..Transgenic lines such as the one we generated can also be crossed into mutant lines of fish to study both structural and functional consequences of the mutations. ..
- Chernyavskaya Y, Mudbhary R, Zhang C, Tokarz D, Jacob V, Gopinath S, et al. Loss of DNA methylation in zebrafish embryos activates retrotransposons to trigger antiviral signaling. Development. 2017;144:2925-2939 pubmed publisher..This suggests that antiviral pathways serve as surveillance of cells that have derepressed intragenomic parasites due to DNA hypomethylation. ..
- Choi D, Yoo K, Hong S, Rhee M, Sakaki Y, Kim C. Isolation and expression of Napor/CUG-BP2 in embryo development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;305:448-54 pubmed..Furthermore, overexpression of napor by RNA microinjection resulted in severe defects in nervous system and gastrulation, suggesting the need for tight control of napor gene regulation during embryo development. ..
- Nakano T, Windrem M, Zappavigna V, Goldman S. Identification of a conserved 125 base-pair Hb9 enhancer that specifies gene expression to spinal motor neurons. Dev Biol. 2005;283:474-85 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that the molecular pathways regulating Hb9 expression are evolutionarily conserved, and that MN-specific gene expression may be directed and achieved using a small 125-bp 5' enhancer. ..
- Enyedi B, Jelcic M, Niethammer P. The Cell Nucleus Serves as a Mechanotransducer of Tissue Damage-Induced Inflammation. Cell. 2016;165:1160-1170 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the nucleus plays a mechanosensory role in inflammation by transducing cell swelling and lysis into proinflammatory eicosanoid signaling. ..
- Ciruna B, Jenny A, Lee D, Mlodzik M, Schier A. Planar cell polarity signalling couples cell division and morphogenesis during neurulation. Nature. 2006;439:220-4 pubmed..These results reveal a function for PCP signalling in coupling cell division and morphogenesis at neurulation and indicate a previously unrecognized mechanism that might underlie NTDs. ..
- Hadrys T, Punnamoottil B, Pieper M, Kikuta H, Pezeron G, Becker T, et al. Conserved co-regulation and promoter sharing of hoxb3a and hoxb4a in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;297:26-43 pubmed..We conclude that the similarity of hoxb3a/Hoxa3 regulatory mechanisms reflect the shared descent of both genes from a single ancestral paralog group 3 gene. ..
- Marques S, Yelon D. Differential requirement for BMP signaling in atrial and ventricular lineages establishes cardiac chamber proportionality. Dev Biol. 2009;328:472-82 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies uncover a new role for BMP signaling in the regulation of chamber size, supporting a model in which differential reception of cardiac inductive signals establishes chamber proportion. ..
- Ciruna B, Weidinger G, Knaut H, Thisse B, Thisse C, Raz E, et al. Production of maternal-zygotic mutant zebrafish by germ-line replacement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:14919-24 pubmed..Furthermore, the ability to generate large clutches of purely mutant embryos will greatly facilitate embryological, genetic, genomic, and biochemical studies. ..
- Higashijima S, Masino M, Mandel G, Fetcho J. Engrailed-1 expression marks a primitive class of inhibitory spinal interneuron. J Neurosci. 2004;24:5827-39 pubmed
- Holtzman N, Schoenebeck J, Tsai H, Yelon D. Endocardium is necessary for cardiomyocyte movement during heart tube assembly. Development. 2007;134:2379-86 pubmed..Together, our data reveal a dynamic cellular mechanism by which tissue interactions establish organ architecture. ..
- Cinaroglu A, Gao C, Imrie D, Sadler K. Activating transcription factor 6 plays protective and pathological roles in steatosis due to endoplasmic reticulum stress in zebrafish. Hepatology. 2011;54:495-508 pubmed publisher..ER stress causes FLD. A loss of Atf6 prevents steatosis caused by chronic ER stress but can also potentiate steatosis caused by acute ER stress. This demonstrates that Atf6 can play both protective and pathological roles in FLD. ..
- Blanc L, Ciciotte S, Gwynn B, Hildick Smith G, Pierce E, Soltis K, et al. Critical function for the Ras-GTPase activating protein RASA3 in vertebrate erythropoiesis and megakaryopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:12099-104 pubmed publisher..Notably, the scat phenotype is recapitulated in zebrafish when rasa3 is silenced. These results highlight a critical, conserved, and nonredundant role for RASA3 in vertebrate hematopoiesis. ..
- Mendelson K, Zygmunt T, Torres Vazquez J, Evans T, Hla T. Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor signaling regulates proper embryonic vascular patterning. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:2143-56 pubmed publisher..Similarly, the S1P transporter, spns2, also cooperated with s1pr1. We propose that extracellular S1P acts through vascular S1P receptors to regulate vascular development. ..
- Kasheta M, Painter C, Moore F, Lobbardi R, Bryll A, Freiman E, et al. Identification and characterization of T reg-like cells in zebrafish. J Exp Med. 2017;214:3519-3530 pubmed publisher..This study identifies T reg-like cells in zebrafish, providing both a model to study the normal functions of these cells in vivo and mutants to explore the consequences of their loss. ..
- Ono F, Higashijima S, Shcherbatko A, Fetcho J, Brehm P. Paralytic zebrafish lacking acetylcholine receptors fail to localize rapsyn clusters to the synapse. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5439-48 pubmed..Our results indicate that, although rapsyn molecules are capable of self-aggregation, interaction with ACh receptors is required for proper subsynaptic localization. ..
- Barreto V, Pan Hammarstrom Q, Zhao Y, Hammarstrom L, Misulovin Z, Nussenzweig M. AID from bony fish catalyzes class switch recombination. J Exp Med. 2005;202:733-8 pubmed