Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ubiquitin in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Buckley S, Aranda Orgilles B, Strikoudis A, Apostolou E, Loizou E, Moran Crusio K, et al. Regulation of pluripotency and cellular reprogramming by the ubiquitin-proteasome system. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:783-98 pubmed publisher..This global characterization of the UPS as a key regulator of stem cell pluripotency opens the way for future studies that focus on specific UPS enzymes or ubiquitinated substrates. ..
- Kang X, Song C, Du X, Zhang C, Liu Y, Liang L, et al. PTEN stabilizes TOP2A and regulates the DNA decatenation. Sci Rep. 2015;5:17873 pubmed publisher..We propose that PTEN controls DNA decatenation to maintain genomic stability and integrity. ..
- Olsen S, Capili A, Lu X, Tan D, Lima C. Active site remodelling accompanies thioester bond formation in the SUMO E1. Nature. 2010;463:906-12 pubmed publisher..These changes displace side chains required for adenylation with side chains required for thioester bond formation. Mutational and biochemical analyses indicate these mechanisms are conserved in other E1s. ..
- Wang Z, Figueiredo Pereira M. Inhibition of sequestosome 1/p62 up-regulation prevents aggregation of ubiquitinated proteins induced by prostaglandin J2 without reducing its neurotoxicity. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;29:222-31 pubmed..However, the overwhelming accumulation of ubiquitinated proteins, rather than their aggregation, is likely to be an important contributor to PGJ2 cytotoxicity. ..
- Saxena A, Rorie C, Dimitrova D, Daniely Y, Borowiec J. Nucleolin inhibits Hdm2 by multiple pathways leading to p53 stabilization. Oncogene. 2006;25:7274-88 pubmed..Thus, nucleolin has a number of properties in common with the tumor suppressor ARF (alternate reading frame). We propose that nucleolin, like ARF, responds to hyperproliferative signals by upregulation of p53 through Hdm2 inhibition. ..
- Gardian G, Browne S, Choi D, Klivenyi P, Gregorio J, Kubilus J, et al. Neuroprotective effects of phenylbutyrate in the N171-82Q transgenic mouse model of Huntington's disease. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:556-63 pubmed
- Olsen S, Lima C. Structure of a ubiquitin E1-E2 complex: insights to E1-E2 thioester transfer. Mol Cell. 2013;49:884-96 pubmed publisher..Comparison to a Ub E1/Ub/ATP·Mg structure reveals conformational changes in the E1 that bring the E1 and E2 active sites together...
- Wang W, Struhl G. Distinct roles for Mind bomb, Neuralized and Epsin in mediating DSL endocytosis and signaling in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2883-94 pubmed..These results support and extend our previous proposal that mono-ubiquitination of DSL ligands allows them to gain access to a select, Epsin-dependent, endocytic pathway that they must normally enter to activate Notch. ..
- Rideout H, Stefanis L. Proteasomal inhibition-induced inclusion formation and death in cortical neurons require transcription and ubiquitination. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;21:223-38 pubmed
- Siemer A, Huang K, McDermott A. Protein-ice interaction of an antifreeze protein observed with solid-state NMR. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17580-5 pubmed publisher..The rest of AFP III's hydration shell behaves similarly to the hydration shell of non-ice-interacting proteins such as ubiquitin and does not freeze together with the bulk water. ..
- Goff A, Ehrlich L, Cohen S, Carter C. Tsg101 control of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Gag trafficking and release. J Virol. 2003;77:9173-82 pubmed
- Martin Serrano J, Bieniasz P. A bipartite late-budding domain in human immunodeficiency virus type 1. J Virol. 2003;77:12373-7 pubmed..These studies suggest that Tsg101 recruitment is necessary but not sufficient to account for late-budding activity exhibited by HIV-1 p6. ..
- Dehan E, Pagano M. Skp2, the FoxO1 hunter. Cancer Cell. 2005;7:209-10 pubmed..Since FoxO proteins possess tumor suppressor functions, this new finding suggests a new mechanism by which Skp2 may favor tumorigenesis. ..
- Frias Staheli N, Giannakopoulos N, Kikkert M, Taylor S, Bridgen A, Paragas J, et al. Ovarian tumor domain-containing viral proteases evade ubiquitin- and ISG15-dependent innate immune responses. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:404-16 pubmed..Thus, the deconjugating activity of viral OTU proteases represents a unique viral strategy to inhibit Ub- and ISG15-dependent antiviral pathways. ..
- Adachi S, Nagao T, To S, Joe A, Shimizu M, Matsushima Nishiwaki R, et al. (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate causes internalization of the epidermal growth factor receptor in human colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:1986-93 pubmed publisher..This sequestrating of inactivated EGFRs into endosomes may explain, at least in part, the ability of EGCG to inhibit activation of the EGFR and thereby exert anticancer effects. ..
- McNaught K, Kapustin A, Jackson T, Jengelley T, Jnobaptiste R, Shashidharan P, et al. Brainstem pathology in DYT1 primary torsion dystonia. Ann Neurol. 2004;56:540-7 pubmed..and cuneiform nuclei, and related brainstem brainstem structures, in mediating motor activity and controlling muscle tone suggests that alterations in these structures could underlie the pathophysiology of DYT1 dystonia [corrected]..
- Lang Rollin I, Vekrellis K, Wang Q, Rideout H, Stefanis L. Application of proteasomal inhibitors to mouse sympathetic neurons activates the intrinsic apoptotic pathway. J Neurochem. 2004;90:1511-20 pubmed..We conclude that proteasomal inhibition of mouse sympathetic neurons activates the intrinsic apoptotic pathway involving bcl-2 family members and the mitochondria. ..
- Xiong H, Li H, Kong H, Chen Y, Zhao J, Xiong S, et al. Ubiquitin-dependent degradation of interferon regulatory factor-8 mediated by Cbl down-regulates interleukin-12 expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23531-9 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the proteasomal degradation of IRF-8 mediated by the ubiquitin E3 ligase Cbl down-regulates IL-12 expression. ..
- Almeida C, Takahashi R, Gouras G. Beta-amyloid accumulation impairs multivesicular body sorting by inhibiting the ubiquitin-proteasome system. J Neurosci. 2006;26:4277-88 pubmed..These data suggest a mechanism whereby Abeta accumulation in neurons impairs the MVB sorting pathway via the UPS in AD. ..
- Bononi A, Giorgi C, Patergnani S, Larson D, Verbruggen K, Tanji M, et al. BAP1 regulates IP3R3-mediated Ca2+ flux to mitochondria suppressing cell transformation. Nature. 2017;546:549-553 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a mechanistic rationale for the powerful ability of BAP1 to regulate gene-environment interaction in human carcinogenesis. ..
- Hao B, Oehlmann S, Sowa M, Harper J, Pavletich N. Structure of a Fbw7-Skp1-cyclin E complex: multisite-phosphorylated substrate recognition by SCF ubiquitin ligases. Mol Cell. 2007;26:131-43 pubmed
- Brooks C, Li M, Hu M, Shi Y, Gu W. The p53--Mdm2--HAUSP complex is involved in p53 stabilization by HAUSP. Oncogene. 2007;26:7262-6 pubmed..These findings reveal the complication of HAUSP-mediated effects in the p53-Mdm2 interplay. It also has important implications for the development of novel chemotherapeutic compounds aimed at blocking this protein-protein interaction. ..
- Sokolskaja E, Luban J. Cyclophilin, TRIM5, and innate immunity to HIV-1. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2006;9:404-8 pubmed..CypA modulates HIV-1 virion core detection by this class of innate pattern recognition molecule, apparently by inducing subtle shifts in CA conformation. ..
- Schoenfeld A, Apgar S, Dolios G, Wang R, Aaronson S. BRCA2 is ubiquitinated in vivo and interacts with USP11, a deubiquitinating enzyme that exhibits prosurvival function in the cellular response to DNA damage. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:7444-55 pubmed
- Olanow C. The pathogenesis of cell death in Parkinson's disease--2007. Mov Disord. 2007;22 Suppl 17:S335-42 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that over the next few years there will be a flurry of scientific activity examining the mechanism of cell death and putative neuroprotective interventions. ..
- Bejarano E, Girao H, Yuste A, Patel B, Marques C, Spray D, et al. Autophagy modulates dynamics of connexins at the plasma membrane in a ubiquitin-dependent manner. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2156-69 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a novel regulatory role for macroautophagy in GJ function that is directly dependent on the ubiquitinylation of plasma membrane connexins. ..
- Kinet M, Malin J, Abraham M, Blum E, Silverman M, Lu Y, et al. HSF-1 activates the ubiquitin proteasome system to promote non-apoptotic developmental cell death in C. elegans. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our studies uncover design similarities between LCD and developmental apoptosis, and provide testable predictions for analyzing LCD in vertebrates. ..
- Rideout H, Dietrich P, Wang Q, Dauer W, Stefanis L. alpha-synuclein is required for the fibrillar nature of ubiquitinated inclusions induced by proteasomal inhibition in primary neurons. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46915-20 pubmed..The lack of effect on survival in alpha-synuclein knock-out cultures further suggests that the fibrillar nature of the inclusions does not contribute to neuronal degeneration in this model. ..
- He K, Deora A, Xiong H, Ling Q, Weksler B, Niesvizky R, et al. Endothelial cell annexin A2 regulates polyubiquitination and degradation of its binding partner S100A10/p11. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:19192-200 pubmed publisher..This mechanism prevents accumulation of free p11 in the endothelial cell and suggests that regulation of tPA-dependent cell surface fibrinolytic activity is precisely tuned to the intracellular level of p11. ..
- Jin Y, Cai C, Zhang X, Burakoff S. Lysine 144, a ubiquitin attachment site in HIV-1 Nef, is required for Nef-mediated CD4 down-regulation. J Immunol. 2008;180:7878-86 pubmed..These data suggest that ubiquitination of Nef, particularly diubiquitination of the lysine 144, is necessary for Nef-mediated CD4 down-regulation. ..
- Chatterjee C, McGinty R, Fierz B, Muir T. Disulfide-directed histone ubiquitylation reveals plasticity in hDot1L activation. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:267-9 pubmed publisher..This permitted structure-activity studies of ubiquitylated mononucleosomes that revealed plasticity in the mechanism of hDot1L stimulation and identified surfaces of ubiquitin important for activation. ..
- Pratt M, Schwartz E, Muir T. Small-molecule-mediated rescue of protein function by an inducible proteolytic shunt. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11209-14 pubmed..This general strategy should allow for inducible rescue of a variety of proteins in such a way that their native structure and function are maintained. ..
- Markowski M, Bowen C, Gelmann E. Inflammatory cytokines induce phosphorylation and ubiquitination of prostate suppressor protein NKX3.1. Cancer Res. 2008;68:6896-901 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that strategies to inhibit inflammation or to inhibit effector kinases may be useful approaches to prostate cancer prevention. ..
- Trotman L, Wang X, Alimonti A, Chen Z, Teruya Feldstein J, Yang H, et al. Ubiquitination regulates PTEN nuclear import and tumor suppression. Cell. 2007;128:141-56 pubmed
- Oresic K, Ng C, Tortorella D. TRAM1 participates in human cytomegalovirus US2- and US11-mediated dislocation of an endoplasmic reticulum membrane glycoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:5905-14 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data support a model in which TRAM1 functions as a cofactor to promote efficient US2- and US11-dependent dislocation of major histocompatibility complex class I heavy chains...
- Nakanishi K, Yang Y, Pierce A, Taniguchi T, Digweed M, D Andrea A, et al. Human Fanconi anemia monoubiquitination pathway promotes homologous DNA repair. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1110-5 pubmed..e., single-strand annealing. These results suggest an early role for the FANC proteins in homologous DSB repair pathway choice. ..
- Mirkin N, Fonseca D, Mohammed S, Cevher M, Manley J, Kleiman F. The 3' processing factor CstF functions in the DNA repair response. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:1792-804 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that CstF plays an active role in the response to DNA damage, providing a link between transcription-coupled RNA processing and DNA repair. ..
- Galletti M, Riccardo S, Parisi F, Lora C, Saqcena M, Rivas L, et al. Identification of domains responsible for ubiquitin-dependent degradation of dMyc by glycogen synthase kinase 3beta and casein kinase 1 kinases. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3424-34 pubmed publisher..Expression of the dMyc mutants in the compound eye of the adult fly results in a visible defect that is attributed to the effect of dMyc on growth, cell death, and inhibition of ommatidial differentiation. ..
- Li M, Brooks C, Wu Baer F, Chen D, Baer R, Gu W. Mono- versus polyubiquitination: differential control of p53 fate by Mdm2. Science. 2003;302:1972-5 pubmed..These results clarify the nature of ubiquitination-mediated p53 regulation and suggest that distinct mechanisms regulate p53 function in accordance with the levels of Mdm2 activity. ..
- Yunus A, Lima C. Lysine activation and functional analysis of E2-mediated conjugation in the SUMO pathway. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:491-9 pubmed..It seems that Ubc9 uses an indirect mechanism to activate lysine for conjugation that may be conserved among E2 family members. ..
- Tsikitis M, Acosta Alvear D, Blais A, Campos E, Lane W, SANCHEZ I, et al. Traf7, a MyoD1 transcriptional target, regulates nuclear factor-?B activity during myogenesis. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:969-76 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a new mechanism by which MyoD1 function is coupled to NF-?B activity through Traf7, regulating the balance between cell cycle progression and differentiation during myogenesis. ..
- Gadura N, Robinson L, Michels C. Glc7-Reg1 phosphatase signals to Yck1,2 casein kinase 1 to regulate transport activity and glucose-induced inactivation of Saccharomyces maltose permease. Genetics. 2006;172:1427-39 pubmed
- Eastman S, Yassaee M, Bieniasz P. A role for ubiquitin ligases and Spartin/SPG20 in lipid droplet turnover. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:881-94 pubmed publisher..These experiments suggest functions for ubiquitin ligases and SPG20 in the regulation of LD turnover and potential pathological mechanisms in Troyer syndrome...
- Oda H, Hübner M, Beck D, Vermeulen M, Hurwitz J, Spector D, et al. Regulation of the histone H4 monomethylase PR-Set7 by CRL4(Cdt2)-mediated PCNA-dependent degradation during DNA damage. Mol Cell. 2010;40:364-76 pubmed publisher..Outside the chromatin context, Skp2 promotes PR-Set7 degradation as well. These findings demonstrate a stringent spatiotemporal control of PR-Set7 that is essential for preserving the genomic integrity of mammalian cells. ..
- Moran A, Hunt D, Javid S, Redston M, Carothers A, Bertagnolli M. Apc deficiency is associated with increased Egfr activity in the intestinal enterocytes and adenomas of C57BL/6J-Min/+ mice. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:43261-72 pubmed
- Kon N, Kobayashi Y, Li M, Brooks C, Ludwig T, Gu W. Inactivation of HAUSP in vivo modulates p53 function. Oncogene. 2010;29:1270-9 pubmed publisher..These data show that Hausp has a critical role in regulating the p53-Mdm2 pathway. ..
- Huang K, Amodeo G, Tong L, McDermott A. The structure of human ubiquitin in 2-methyl-2,4-pentanediol: a new conformational switch. Protein Sci. 2011;20:630-9 pubmed publisher..The structure described here elucidates the origin of many of the chemical shift differences comparing solution and solid state studies. ..
- Liang J, Kim T, Fang S, Yamaguchi J, Weissman A, Fisher E, et al. Overexpression of the tumor autocrine motility factor receptor Gp78, a ubiquitin protein ligase, results in increased ubiquitinylation and decreased secretion of apolipoprotein B100 in HepG2 cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23984-8 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that an ER-associated protein, gp78, is a bona fide E3 ligase in the apoB ER-associated degradation pathway. ..
- Zhao X, Heng J, Guardavaccaro D, Jiang R, Pagano M, Guillemot F, et al. The HECT-domain ubiquitin ligase Huwe1 controls neural differentiation and proliferation by destabilizing the N-Myc oncoprotein. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:643-53 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Huwe1 links destruction of N-Myc to the quiescent state that complements differentiation in the neural tissue. ..
- Cerda Maira F, Darwin K. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis proteasome: more than just a barrel-shaped protease. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:1150-5 pubmed publisher..Here, we overview the current information of the Mtb proteasome and discuss the role of this protease in pathogenesis. ..
- Skaar J, Pagano M. Control of cell growth by the SCF and APC/C ubiquitin ligases. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2009;21:816-24 pubmed publisher..Our expanding understanding of the roles of the SCF and APC/C complexes highlight the potential for targeted molecular therapies. ..
- Kentsis A, Gordon R, Borden K. Control of biochemical reactions through supramolecular RING domain self-assembly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15404-9 pubmed..These studies reveal a general paradigm of how supramolecular structures may function in cells. ..
- Wu Baer F, Lagrazon K, Yuan W, Baer R. The BRCA1/BARD1 heterodimer assembles polyubiquitin chains through an unconventional linkage involving lysine residue K6 of ubiquitin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34743-6 pubmed..The ability of BRCA1/BARD1 to form K6-linked polyubiquitin chains suggests that it may impart unique cellular properties to its natural enzymatic substrates. ..
- McIntosh K, Bhattacharya A, Willis I, Warner J. Eukaryotic cells producing ribosomes deficient in Rpl1 are hypersensitive to defects in the ubiquitin-proteasome system. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23579 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, in spite of rendering the cells hypersensitive to the proteasome inhibitor MG132, shortage of Rpl1 partially suppresses the stress-invoked temporary repression of ribosome synthesis caused by MG132...
- Kim A, Gautier J, Bickers D, Athar M. Reduced cyclin D1 ubiquitination in UVB-induced murine squamous cell carcinomas. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;298:377-82 pubmed
- Alarcon Vargas D, RONAI Z. c-Jun-NH2 kinase (JNK) contributes to the regulation of c-Myc protein stability. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5008-16 pubmed..In all, these findings point to the contribution of JNK to the regulation of c-Myc protein stability under normal growth conditions. ..
- Stanhill A, Haynes C, Zhang Y, Min G, Steele M, Kalinina J, et al. An arsenite-inducible 19S regulatory particle-associated protein adapts proteasomes to proteotoxicity. Mol Cell. 2006;23:875-85 pubmed..These features include enhanced cleavage of peptide substrates and suggest that AIRAP adapts the cell's core protein degradation machinery to counteract proteotoxicity induced by an environmental toxin. ..
- Wu K, Yamoah K, Dolios G, Gan Erdene T, Tan P, Chen A, et al. DEN1 is a dual function protease capable of processing the C terminus of Nedd8 and deconjugating hyper-neddylated CUL1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28882-91 pubmed..These results suggest a unique role for DEN1 in regulating the modification of cullins by Nedd8. ..
- Taylor G, Hanson P, Kielian M. Ubiquitin depletion and dominant-negative VPS4 inhibit rhabdovirus budding without affecting alphavirus budding. J Virol. 2007;81:13631-9 pubmed..In contrast, SFV budding was independent of both ubiquitin and the activity of VPS4, perhaps reflecting the important role of the highly organized envelope protein lattice during alphavirus budding. ..
- Scaglioni P, Yung T, Cai L, Erdjument Bromage H, Kaufman A, Singh B, et al. A CK2-dependent mechanism for degradation of the PML tumor suppressor. Cell. 2006;126:269-83 pubmed..These data identify a key posttranslational mechanism that controls PML protein levels and provide therapeutic means toward PML restoration through CK2 inhibition. ..
- Busino L, Bassermann F, Maiolica A, Lee C, Nolan P, Godinho S, et al. SCFFbxl3 controls the oscillation of the circadian clock by directing the degradation of cryptochrome proteins. Science. 2007;316:900-4 pubmed..Silencing of Fbxl3 produced no effect in Cry1-/-;Cry2-/- cells, which shows that Fbxl3 controls clock oscillations by mediating the degradation of CRY proteins. ..
- Schile A, Garcia Fernandez M, Steller H. Regulation of apoptosis by XIAP ubiquitin-ligase activity. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2256-66 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates a physiological requirement of XIAP ubiquitin-ligase activity for the inhibition of caspases and for tumor suppression in vivo. ..
- Theodoraki M, Nillegoda N, Saini J, Caplan A. A network of ubiquitin ligases is important for the dynamics of misfolded protein aggregates in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23911-22 pubmed publisher..These results provide insight into the mechanics by which ubiquitin ligases cooperate and provide feedback regulation in the clearance of misfolded proteins. ..
- Rajsbaum R, Garcia Sastre A. Viral evasion mechanisms of early antiviral responses involving regulation of ubiquitin pathways. Trends Microbiol. 2013;21:421-9 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss recent findings and novel strategies that viruses have developed to counteract these early innate antiviral defenses. ..
- Purdue P, Lazarow P. Pex18p is constitutively degraded during peroxisome biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:47684-9 pubmed..These data represent, to the best of our knowledge, the first instance of an organelle biogenesis factor that is degraded constitutively and rapidly. ..
- Ulane C, Rodriguez J, Parisien J, Horvath C. STAT3 ubiquitylation and degradation by mumps virus suppress cytokine and oncogene signaling. J Virol. 2003;77:6385-93 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a unique cytokine and oncogene evasion property of mumps virus that provides a molecular basis for its observed oncolytic properties. ..
- Pan Y, Bai C, Joyner A, Wang B. Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates Gli2 transcriptional activity by suppressing its processing and degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3365-77 pubmed..Both processing and degradation of Gli2 are suppressed by Shh signaling in vivo. Our findings provide the first demonstration of a molecular mechanism by which the Gli2 transcriptional activity is regulated by Shh signaling. ..
- Banck M, Beaven S, Narla G, Walsh M, Friedman S, Beutler A. KLF6 degradation after apoptotic DNA damage. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:6981-6 pubmed..KLF6 was unchanged by apoptosis via the extrinsic/death-receptor pathway. Deregulation of KLF6 stability may alter its tumor suppressor function and/or the response of tumors to chemotherapeutics. ..
- Kitaura Y, Jang I, Wang Y, Han Y, Inazu T, Cadera E, et al. Control of the B cell-intrinsic tolerance programs by ubiquitin ligases Cbl and Cbl-b. Immunity. 2007;26:567-78 pubmed..Thus, Cbl proteins control B cell-intrinsic checkpoint of immune tolerance, possibly through coordinating multiple BCR-proximal signaling pathways during anergy induction. ..
- Ashour J, Laurent Rolle M, Shi P, Garcia Sastre A. NS5 of dengue virus mediates STAT2 binding and degradation. J Virol. 2009;83:5408-18 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have identified both a novel mechanism by which DENV evades the innate immune response and a potential target for antiviral therapeutics. ..
- Chang W, Dynek J, Smith S. TRF1 is degraded by ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis after release from telomeres. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1328-33 pubmed..Our findings suggest a novel mechanism of sequential post translational modification of TRF1 (ADP-ribosylation and ubiquitination) for regulating access of telomerase to telomeres. ..
- Chen D, Kon N, Li M, Zhang W, Qin J, Gu W. ARF-BP1/Mule is a critical mediator of the ARF tumor suppressor. Cell. 2005;121:1071-83 pubmed..As such, ARF-BP1 may serve as a potential target for therapeutic intervention in tumors regardless of p53 status. ..
- Lu X, Olsen S, Capili A, Cisar J, Lima C, Tan D. Designed semisynthetic protein inhibitors of Ub/Ubl E1 activating enzymes. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132:1748-9 pubmed publisher..These inhibitors are powerful tools to probe outstanding mechanistic questions in E1 function and can also be used to study the biological functions of E1 enzymes. ..
- Monian P, Jiang X. The Cellular Apoptosis Susceptibility Protein (CAS) Promotes Tumor Necrosis Factor-related Apoptosis-inducing Ligand (TRAIL)-induced Apoptosis and Cell Proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2379-88 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that CAS plays contrasting roles in proliferation and apoptosis and that overexpression of CAS in tumors could serve as a potential biomarker to guide therapeutic choices. ..
- Bridges R, Sohn S, Wright J, Leppard K, Hearing P. The Adenovirus E4-ORF3 Protein Stimulates SUMOylation of General Transcription Factor TFII-I to Direct Proteasomal Degradation. MBio. 2016;7:e02184-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the specific targeting of TFII-I by E4-ORF3 is a mechanism to inactivate its antiviral properties. These studies provide further insight into how E4-ORF3 functions to counteract host antiviral responses. ..
- Wu G, Lyapina S, Das I, Li J, Gurney M, Pauley A, et al. SEL-10 is an inhibitor of notch signaling that targets notch for ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7403-15 pubmed..Thus, SEL-10 functions to promote the ubiquitination of Notch proteins; however, the fates of these proteins may differ. ..
- Jang I, Yang S, Yang J, Chua N. Independent and interdependent functions of LAF1 and HFR1 in phytochrome A signaling. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2100-11 pubmed
- Tang G, Perng M, Wilk S, Quinlan R, Goldman J. Oligomers of mutant glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) Inhibit the proteasome system in alexander disease astrocytes, and the small heat shock protein alphaB-crystallin reverses the inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10527-37 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that oligomeric forms of GFAP are particularly effective at inhibiting proteasome activity. ..
- Postow L. Destroying the ring: Freeing DNA from Ku with ubiquitin. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:2876-82 pubmed publisher..A potential mechanism for this pathway is discussed. ..
- Domingues C, Ryoo H. Drosophila BRUCE inhibits apoptosis through non-lysine ubiquitination of the IAP-antagonist REAPER. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:470-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that dBruce inhibits apoptosis by promoting IAP-antagonist ubiquitination on unconventional acceptor sites. ..
- Li Z, Arnaud L, Rockwell P, Figueiredo Pereira M. A single amino acid substitution in a proteasome subunit triggers aggregation of ubiquitinated proteins in stressed neuronal cells. J Neurochem. 2004;90:19-28 pubmed..These results support the notion that proteasome disruption may be central to the development of familial as well as sporadic cases of neurodegeneration. ..
- Zeng S, Xu Z, Lipkowitz S, Longley J. Regulation of stem cell factor receptor signaling by Cbl family proteins (Cbl-b/c-Cbl). Blood. 2005;105:226-32 pubmed..The activated KIT in turn induces phosphorylation and activation of Cbl proteins. The Cbl proteins then bind and direct the degradation of activated KIT, leading to down-regulation of KIT signaling. ..
- Jang I, Yang J, Seo H, Chua N. HFR1 is targeted by COP1 E3 ligase for post-translational proteolysis during phytochrome A signaling. Genes Dev. 2005;19:593-602 pubmed..Taken together, our results show that HFR1 is ubiquitinated by COP1 E3 ligase and marked for post-translational degradation during photomorphogenesis. ..
- Peschiaroli A, Dorrello N, Guardavaccaro D, Venere M, Halazonetis T, Sherman N, et al. SCFbetaTrCP-mediated degradation of Claspin regulates recovery from the DNA replication checkpoint response. Mol Cell. 2006;23:319-29 pubmed..Importantly, in response to DNA damage in G2, Claspin proteolysis is inhibited to allow the prompt reestablishment of the checkpoint. ..
- Geimonen E, Fernandez I, Gavrilovskaya I, Mackow E. Tyrosine residues direct the ubiquitination and degradation of the NY-1 hantavirus G1 cytoplasmic tail. J Virol. 2003;77:10760-868 pubmed
- Tanny J, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Allis C. Ubiquitylation of histone H2B controls RNA polymerase II transcription elongation independently of histone H3 methylation. Genes Dev. 2007;21:835-47 pubmed..We propose that ubiquitylation of H2B impacts transcription elongation and nuclear architecture through its effects on chromatin dynamics. ..
- McGinty R, Kim J, Chatterjee C, Roeder R, Muir T. Chemically ubiquitylated histone H2B stimulates hDot1L-mediated intranucleosomal methylation. Nature. 2008;453:812-6 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates a direct biochemical crosstalk between two modifications on separate histone proteins within a nucleosome. ..
- Chen A, Kleiman F, Manley J, Ouchi T, Pan Z. Autoubiquitination of the BRCA1*BARD1 RING ubiquitin ligase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22085-92 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that BRCA1*BARD1 acts to assemble non-lysine 48-linked polyubiquitin chains that may serve as part of a signaling platform required for coordinating DNA repair-related events. ..
- Seo H, Watanabe E, Tokutomi S, Nagatani A, Chua N. Photoreceptor ubiquitination by COP1 E3 ligase desensitizes phytochrome A signaling. Genes Dev. 2004;18:617-22 pubmed..Our results indicate that COP1 acts as an E3 ligase to regulate phyA signaling by targeting elimination of the phyA photoreceptor itself. ..