Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on stem cells in Scotland, United Kingdom
Locale: Scotland, United Kingdom
Topic: stem cells
- Jackson M, Watt A, Gautier P, Gilchrist D, Driehaus J, Graham G, et al. A murine specific expansion of the Rhox cluster involved in embryonic stem cell biology is under natural selection. BMC Genomics. 2006;7:212 pubmed..Moreover, this unique cluster may explain species differences in ES cell derivation and maintenance between mouse, rat and human. ..
- Moore R, Redhead N, Selfridge J, Hope J, Manson J, Melton D. Double replacement gene targeting for the production of a series of mouse strains with different prion protein gene alterations. Biotechnology (N Y). 1995;13:999-1004 pubmed..We anticipate that this procedure will have applications to the study of human inherited diseases and the development of therapies. ..
- Finlay D, Sinclair L, Feijoo C, Waugh C, Hagenbeek T, Spits H, et al. Phosphoinositide-dependent kinase 1 controls migration and malignant transformation but not cell growth and proliferation in PTEN-null lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 2009;206:2441-54 pubmed publisher..Second, PDK1 determines the cohort of chemokine and adhesion receptors expressed by PTEN-null cells, thereby controlling their migratory capacity. ..
- Jackson M, Baird J, Nichols J, Wilkie R, Ansell J, Graham G, et al. Expression of a novel homeobox gene Ehox in trophoblast stem cells and pharyngeal pouch endoderm. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:740-4 pubmed
- McClive P, Pall G, Newton K, Lee M, Mullins J, Forrester L. Gene trap integrations expressed in the developing heart: insertion site affects splicing of the PT1-ATG vector. Dev Dyn. 1998;212:267-76 pubmed..One of these exon integrations results in a lethal neonatal phenotype. ..
- Chambers I, Smith A. Self-renewal of teratocarcinoma and embryonic stem cells. Oncogene. 2004;23:7150-60 pubmed..Nanog function also requires Oct4. Here, we review recent progress in ES cell self-renewal, relate this to the biology of teratocarcinomas and offer testable hypotheses to expose the mechanics of ES cell self-renewal...
- Middleton G, Pinon L, Wyatt S, Davies A. Bcl-2 accelerates the maturation of early sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 1998;18:3344-50 pubmed..These findings indicate that Bcl-2 expression is required for the normal progression of a particular early maturational change in embryonic sensory neurons. ..
- Stacey A, Schnieke A, McWhir J, Cooper J, Colman A, Melton D. Use of double-replacement gene targeting to replace the murine alpha-lactalbumin gene with its human counterpart in embryonic stem cells and mice. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1009-16 pubmed..A typical strategy for future use would be to generate a null mutation which could then be used to produce multiple second-step alterations at the same locus. ..
- Dunlop C, Telfer E, Anderson R. Ovarian stem cells--potential roles in infertility treatment and fertility preservation. Maturitas. 2013;76:279-83 pubmed publisher..This review summarises our current understanding of OSCs and discusses their potential clinical application in infertility treatment and fertility preservation. ..
- Lund K, Adams P, Copland M. EZH2 in normal and malignant hematopoiesis. Leukemia. 2014;28:44-9 pubmed publisher..This review examines the role of EZH2 in normal and malignant hematopoiesis and recent developments in harnessing the therapeutic potential of EZH2 inhibition. ..
- Keller T, Abbott J, Moritz T, Doerner P. Arabidopsis REGULATOR OF AXILLARY MERISTEMS1 controls a leaf axil stem cell niche and modulates vegetative development. Plant Cell. 2006;18:598-611 pubmed..RAX1 thus defines a novel activity that links the specification of AM formation with the modulation of the rate of progression through developmental phases. ..
- Maxwell S, Ho H, Kuehner E, Zhao S, Li M. Pitx3 regulates tyrosine hydroxylase expression in the substantia nigra and identifies a subgroup of mesencephalic dopaminergic progenitor neurons during mouse development. Dev Biol. 2005;282:467-79 pubmed..Such an expression pattern may provide the molecular basis for the specific dependence of substantia nigra DA neurons on Pitx3. ..
- McHugh B, Krause S, Yu B, Deans A, Heasman S, McLaughlin P, et al. Invadolysin: a novel, conserved metalloprotease links mitotic structural rearrangements with cell migration. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:673-86 pubmed..Thus, invadolysin identifies a new family of conserved metalloproteases whose activity appears to be essential for the coordination of mitotic progression, but which also plays an unexpected role in cell migration. ..
- Ying Q, Nichols J, Chambers I, Smith A. BMP induction of Id proteins suppresses differentiation and sustains embryonic stem cell self-renewal in collaboration with STAT3. Cell. 2003;115:281-92 pubmed..Upon LIF withdrawal, Id-expressing ES cells differentiate but do not give rise to neural lineages. We conclude that blockade of lineage-specific transcription factors by Id proteins enables the self-renewal response to LIF/STAT3. ..
- Aubert J, Stavridis M, Tweedie S, O Reilly M, Vierlinger K, Li M, et al. Screening for mammalian neural genes via fluorescence-activated cell sorter purification of neural precursors from Sox1-gfp knock-in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100 Suppl 1:11836-41 pubmed..Whole mount in situ hybridization against two genes of previously unknown embryonic expression, Lrrn1 and Musashi2, confirmed the selectivity of this screen for early neuroectodermal markers. ..
- Jackson M, Baird J, Cambray N, Ansell J, Forrester L, Graham G. Cloning and characterization of Ehox, a novel homeobox gene essential for embryonic stem cell differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38683-92 pubmed..We therefore conclude that Ehox is a novel homeobox-containing gene that is essential for the earliest stages of murine ES cell differentiation. ..
- Hendrich B, Guy J, Ramsahoye B, Wilson V, Bird A. Closely related proteins MBD2 and MBD3 play distinctive but interacting roles in mouse development. Genes Dev. 2001;15:710-23 pubmed..Genetic and biochemical data together favor the view that MBD3 is a key component of the Mi-2/NuRD corepressor complex, whereas MBD2 may be one of several factors that can recruit this complex to DNA. ..
- Tate P, Lee M, Tweedie S, Skarnes W, Bickmore W. Capturing novel mouse genes encoding chromosomal and other nuclear proteins. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 17):2575-85 pubmed..Motifs in two of the isolated genes suggest new links between cellular regulatory mechanisms (ubiquitination and phosphorylation) and mRNA splicing and chromosome structure/function. ..
- Chambers I, Cozens A, Broadbent J, Robertson M, Lee M, Li M, et al. Structure of the mouse leukaemia inhibitory factor receptor gene: regulated expression of mRNA encoding a soluble receptor isoform from an alternative 5' untranslated region. Biochem J. 1997;328 ( Pt 3):879-88 pubmed
- Wu C, Melton D. Production of a model for Lesch-Nyhan syndrome in hypoxanthine phosphoribosyltransferase-deficient mice. Nat Genet. 1993;3:235-40 pubmed..This combined genetic and biochemical model will facilitate the study of Lesch-Nyhan syndrome and the evaluation of novel therapies. ..
- Mountford P, Zevnik B, Duwel A, Nichols J, Li M, Dani C, et al. Dicistronic targeting constructs: reporters and modifiers of mammalian gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:4303-7 pubmed..This has allowed visualization of putative "stem-cell niches" in which sources of elevated expression of differentiation-inhibiting activity were localized to the differentiated cells surrounding colonies of stem cells. ..
- Robertson M, Stenhouse F, Colby D, Marland J, Nichols J, Tweedie S, et al. Nanog retrotransposed genes with functionally conserved open reading frames. Mamm Genome. 2006;17:732-43 pubmed..caroli and M. spretus and indicates that Nanog retrotransposition events continue to occur at a high frequency, a property likely to extend to other germ-line transcripts. ..
- MacLaine N, Hupp T. How phosphorylation controls p53. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:916-21 pubmed..Finally, we discuss how changes in the specific activity of p53 can have profound effects not only on cancer development, but also on organism aging. ..
- Douvaras P, Webb S, Whitaker D, Dorà N, Hill R, Dorin J, et al. Rare corneal clones in mice suggest an age-related decrease of stem cell activity and support the limbal epithelial stem cell hypothesis. Stem Cell Res. 2012;8:109-19 pubmed publisher..Pax6(+/-), KRT5(LacZ/-) corneas had small patches rather than stripes, which confirms that corneal maintenance is abnormal in Pax6(+/-) mice...
- Dani C, Chambers I, Johnstone S, Robertson M, Ebrahimi B, Saito M, et al. Paracrine induction of stem cell renewal by LIF-deficient cells: a new ES cell regulatory pathway. Dev Biol. 1998;203:149-62 pubmed..Operation of this pathway in vivo could play an important role in the regulation of pluripotency in the epiblast and account for the viability of lifr -/- and gp130 -/- embryos. ..
- Huels D, Sansom O. R-spondin Is More Than Just Wnt's Sidekick. Dev Cell. 2017;41:456-458 pubmed publisher..2017) show that Wnts and Wnt signaling potentiator R-spondins have non-interchangeable roles. Both are necessary for intestinal stem cell (ISC) maintenance, and R-spondins are the limiting factor that defines ISC number. ..