Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins in Connecticut, United States
Locale: Connecticut, United States
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae proteins
Publications160 found, 100 shown here
- Rossi G, Yu J, Newman A, Ferro Novick S. Dependence of Ypt1 and Sec4 membrane attachment on Bet2. Nature. 1991;351:158-61 pubmed..We propose that Bet2 modifies Ypt1 and Sec4 in an analogous manner. ..
- Zheng P, Fay D, Burton J, Xiao H, Pinkham J, Stern D. SPK1 is an essential S-phase-specific gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae that encodes a nuclear serine/threonine/tyrosine kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:5829-42 pubmed
- Manning B, Padmanabha R, Snyder M. The Rho-GEF Rom2p localizes to sites of polarized cell growth and participates in cytoskeletal functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1829-44 pubmed..Furthermore, rom2 delta strains exhibit increased sensitivity to the microtubule depolymerizing drug benomyl. These results suggest a role for Rom2p in both polarized morphogenesis and functions of the microtubule cytoskeleton. ..
- Dong H, Roeder G. Organization of the yeast Zip1 protein within the central region of the synaptonemal complex. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:417-26 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that two Zip1 dimers, lying head-to-head, span the width of the SC. ..
- Grote E, Baba M, Ohsumi Y, Novick P. Geranylgeranylated SNAREs are dominant inhibitors of membrane fusion. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:453-66 pubmed..In support of this model, the inverted cone-shaped lipid lysophosphatidylcholine rescues secretion from SNARE mutant cells. ..
- Novak J, Ross MacDonald P, Roeder G. The budding yeast Msh4 protein functions in chromosome synapsis and the regulation of crossover distribution. Genetics. 2001;158:1013-25 pubmed..Both Zip2 and Zip1 are required for the normal localization of Msh4 to chromosomes, raising the possibility that the zip1 and zip2 defects in crossing over are indirect, resulting from the failure to localize Msh4 properly. ..
- Burchett S, Flanary P, Aston C, Jiang L, Young K, Uetz P, et al. Regulation of stress response signaling by the N-terminal dishevelled/EGL-10/pleckstrin domain of Sst2, a regulator of G protein signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22156-67 pubmed..These findings indicate that Vps36 and Sst2 have opposite and opposing effects on the pheromone and stress response pathways, with Vps36 acting downstream of the G protein and independently of Sst2 RGS activity. ..
- France Y, Boyd C, Coleman J, Novick P. The polarity-establishment component Bem1p interacts with the exocyst complex through the Sec15p subunit. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:876-88 pubmed..This, in turn, helps to coordinate the secretory pathway and polarized bud growth. ..
- Lebedeva M, Shadel G. Cell cycle- and ribonucleotide reductase-driven changes in mtDNA copy number influence mtDNA Inheritance without compromising mitochondrial gene expression. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:2048-57 pubmed..These results indicate that one role for multiple mtDNA copies is to ensure optimal inheritance of mtDNA during cell division. ..
- Paul A, Paul A, Pollard T, Pollard T. The role of the FH1 domain and profilin in formin-mediated actin-filament elongation and nucleation. Curr Biol. 2008;18:9-19 pubmed..Because subunit addition promotes dissociation of FH2 domains from growing barbed ends, FH2 domains must pass through a state that is prone to dissociation during each cycle of actin subunit addition coupled to formin translocation. ..
- Copela L, Fernandez C, Sherrer R, Wolin S. Competition between the Rex1 exonuclease and the La protein affects both Trf4p-mediated RNA quality control and pre-tRNA maturation. RNA. 2008;14:1214-27 pubmed publisher..Our experiments reveal that one consequence of Rex1p-dependent 3' trimming is the generation of aberrant RNAs that are targeted for decay by TRAMP. ..
- Lefrançois P, Auerbach R, Yellman C, Roeder G, Snyder M. Centromere-like regions in the budding yeast genome. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003209 pubmed publisher..These studies provide general and important insights into the origin and evolution of centromeres. ..
- Huber E, Heinemeyer W, Li X, Arendt C, Hochstrasser M, Groll M. A unified mechanism for proteolysis and autocatalytic activation in the 20S proteasome. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10900 pubmed publisher..This work provides insights into the basic mechanism of proteolysis and propeptide autolysis, as well as the evolutionary pressures that drove the proteasome to become a threonine protease. ..
- Jiang Y, Scarpa A, Zhang L, Stone S, Feliciano E, Ferro Novick S. A high copy suppressor screen reveals genetic interactions between BET3 and a new gene. Evidence for a novel complex in ER-to-Golgi transport. Genetics. 1998;149:833-41 pubmed..The identification of mammalian homologues of Bet3p and Bet5p implies that the Bet3p/Bet5p complex is highly conserved in evolution. ..
- Hong E, Roeder G. A role for Ddc1 in signaling meiotic double-strand breaks at the pachytene checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2002;16:363-76 pubmed..Ddc1 therefore appears to operate in a positive feedback loop that promotes Mek1 function. ..
- Burton J, Solomon M. Mad3p, a pseudosubstrate inhibitor of APCCdc20 in the spindle assembly checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2007;21:655-67 pubmed..We present a model aimed at unifying previous analyses of checkpoint function by focusing on the Mad3-Cdc20 interaction. ..
- Malhotra K, Sathappa M, Landin J, Johnson A, Alder N. Structural changes in the mitochondrial Tim23 channel are coupled to the proton-motive force. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:965-72 pubmed publisher..These results reveal how the energized state of the membrane drives functionally relevant structural dynamics in membrane proteins coupled to processes such as channel gating. ..
- Hooker G, Roeder G. A Role for SUMO in meiotic chromosome synapsis. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1238-43 pubmed..The ubc9 mutant phenotype provides the first evidence for a cause-and-effect relationship between sumoylation and synapsis...
- Grote E, Carr C, Novick P. Ordering the final events in yeast exocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:439-52 pubmed..In the sec18-1 mutant, cis-SNARE complexes containing surface-accessible Sncp accumulate in the plasma membrane. Thus, one function of Sec18p is to disassemble SNARE complexes on the postfusion membrane. ..
- Amerik A, Nowak J, Swaminathan S, Hochstrasser M. The Doa4 deubiquitinating enzyme is functionally linked to the vacuolar protein-sorting and endocytic pathways. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3365-80 pubmed
- Krejci L, Macris M, Li Y, Van Komen S, Villemain J, Ellenberger T, et al. Role of ATP hydrolysis in the antirecombinase function of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Srs2 protein. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23193-9 pubmed..These results highlight the importance of the ATP hydrolysisfueled DNA motor activity in SRS2 functions. ..
- McConnell T, Cho S, Frilander M, Steitz J. Branchpoint selection in the splicing of U12-dependent introns in vitro. RNA. 2002;8:579-86 pubmed..Analysis of these three additional introns therefore rules out simple models for branchpoint selection by the U12-type spliceosome. ..
- Santos B, Snyder M. Specific protein targeting during cell differentiation: polarized localization of Fus1p during mating depends on Chs5p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:821-5 pubmed..Here we show that Chs5p is also essential for the polarized targeting of Fus1p, but not of other cell fusion proteins, to the membrane during mating. ..
- Guo W, Grant A, Novick P. Exo84p is an exocyst protein essential for secretion. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:23558-64 pubmed..cerevisiae. Exo84p is mislocalized in a sec5 mutant. These studies suggest that Exo84p is an essential protein that plays an important role in polarized secretion. ..
- Chi P, Kwon Y, Seong C, Epshtein A, Lam I, Sung P, et al. Yeast recombination factor Rdh54 functionally interacts with the Rad51 recombinase and catalyzes Rad51 removal from DNA. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:26268-79 pubmed..Rad51 complex formation. The Rdh54 expression and purification procedures described here should facilitate the functional dissection of this DNA recombination/repair factor. ..
- Kaldis P, Sutton A, Solomon M. The Cdk-activating kinase (CAK) from budding yeast. Cell. 1996;86:553-64 pubmed..Our data raise the intriguing possibility that p40MO15-cyclin H-MAT1, identified as the predominant CAK in vertebrate cell extracts, may not function as a physiological CAK. ..
- Prakash R, Krejci L, Van Komen S, Anke Schürer K, Kramer W, Sung P. Saccharomyces cerevisiae MPH1 gene, required for homologous recombination-mediated mutation avoidance, encodes a 3' to 5' DNA helicase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7854-60 pubmed..These results, thus, establish Mph1 as an ATP-dependent DNA helicase, and the availability of purified Mph1 should facilitate efforts at deciphering the role of this protein in homologous recombination and mutation avoidance. ..
- DiBello P, Garrison T, Apanovitch D, Hoffman G, Shuey D, Mason K, et al. Selective uncoupling of RGS action by a single point mutation in the G protein alpha-subunit. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:5780-4 pubmed..The Galphasst mutant will be useful for uncoupling RGS-mediated regulation from other modes of signal regulation in whole cells and animals. ..
- Lee S, Schwartz M, Duong J, Stern D. Rad53 phosphorylation site clusters are important for Rad53 regulation and signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6300-14 pubmed..Thus, the phosphorylation of Rad53 by upstream kinases is important not only for Rad53 activation but also for creation of an interface between Rad53 and Dun1. ..
- Ferreira T, Mason A, Pypaert M, Allen K, Slayman C. Quality control in the yeast secretory pathway: a misfolded PMA1 H+-ATPase reveals two checkpoints. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21027-40 pubmed..Taken together, the results of this study establish Pma1-G381A as a useful new probe for the yeast secretory system. ..
- Sterling C, Sweasy J. DNA polymerase 4 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is important for accurate repair of methyl-methanesulfonate-induced DNA damage. Genetics. 2006;172:89-98 pubmed..Our studies suggest that Pol4 is critical for accurate repair of DNA lesions induced by MMS. ..
- Ling J, Peterson K, Simonovic I, Soll D, Simonovic M. The mechanism of pre-transfer editing in yeast mitochondrial threonyl-tRNA synthetase. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28518-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we propose that the plasticity of the aminoacylation site in MST1 allows binding of Ser-AMP and the appropriate positioning of the hydrolytic water molecule. ..
- Gavaravarapu S, Kamine J. Tip60 inhibits activation of CREB protein by protein kinase A. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;269:758-66 pubmed
- Du Y, Pypaert M, Novick P, Ferro Novick S. Aux1p/Swa2p is required for cortical endoplasmic reticulum inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2614-28 pubmed..These findings suggest that Aux1p/Swa2p may be a bifunctional protein with roles in membrane traffic and cortical ER inheritance. In support of this hypothesis, we find that Aux1p/Swa2p localizes to ER membranes. ..
- Tsubouchi T, Zhao H, Roeder G. The meiosis-specific zip4 protein regulates crossover distribution by promoting synaptonemal complex formation together with zip2. Dev Cell. 2006;10:809-19 pubmed..This clustering depends on Zip1. Our results suggest an interaction between crossover pathways such that a protein (Zip1) acting in one pathway influences the distribution of crossovers promoted by a parallel (Mms4-dependent) pathway. ..
- Busygina V, Sehorn M, Shi I, Tsubouchi H, Roeder G, Sung P. Hed1 regulates Rad51-mediated recombination via a novel mechanism. Genes Dev. 2008;22:786-95 pubmed publisher..These findings shed light on the function of Hed1 and, importantly, unveil a novel mechanism for the regulation of homologous recombination. ..
- Bailis J, Roeder G. Pachytene exit controlled by reversal of Mek1-dependent phosphorylation. Cell. 2000;101:211-21 pubmed..We speculate that phosphorylated Red1 prevents exit from pachytene and that completion of meiotic recombination triggers Glc7-dependent dephosphorylation of Red1. ..
- Anderson S, Steber C, Esposito R, Coleman J. UME6, a negative regulator of meiosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, contains a C-terminal Zn2Cys6 binuclear cluster that binds the URS1 DNA sequence in a zinc-dependent manner. Protein Sci. 1995;4:1832-43 pubmed..DNase I footprints of UME6 on URS1-containing DNA show that the protein protects the phosphodiesters of the 5'-CCGCCG-3' region within the URS1 sequence. ..
- Lecchi S, Nelson C, Allen K, Swaney D, Thompson K, Coon J, et al. Tandem phosphorylation of Ser-911 and Thr-912 at the C terminus of yeast plasma membrane H+-ATPase leads to glucose-dependent activation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35471-81 pubmed..These results point to a mechanism in which the stepwise phosphorylation of two tandemly positioned residues near the C terminus mediates glucose-dependent activation of the H(+)-ATPase. ..
- Rojas M, Farr G, Fernandez C, Lauden L, McCormack J, Wolin S. Yeast Gis2 and its human ortholog CNBP are novel components of stress-induced RNP granules. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52824 pubmed publisher..These results implicate both Gis2 and CNBP in mRNA handling during stress. ..
- Nair J, Muller H, Peterson M, Novick P. Sec2 protein contains a coiled-coil domain essential for vesicular transport and a dispensable carboxy terminal domain. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1897-909 pubmed..The Sec2 protein may function in conjunction with the Sec4 and Sec15 proteins to control vesicular traffic. ..
- Govindan B, Bowser R, Novick P. The role of Myo2, a yeast class V myosin, in vesicular transport. J Cell Biol. 1995;128:1055-68 pubmed..Our observations are consistent with a role for Myo2 in transporting a class of secretory vesicles from the mother cell along actin cables into the bud. ..
- Lian J, Ferro Novick S. Bos1p, an integral membrane protein of the endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi transport vesicles, is required for their fusion competence. Cell. 1993;73:735-45 pubmed..These vesicles contain Bos1p, Sec22p, and Ypt1p, but not Bet1p. The functional interactions of Bos1p with Ypt1p and Sec22p may be necessary for the fusion competence of the ER to Golgi transport vesicles. ..
- Leu J, Chua P, Roeder G. The meiosis-specific Hop2 protein of S. cerevisiae ensures synapsis between homologous chromosomes. Cell. 1998;94:375-86 pubmed..We propose that the Hop2 protein functions to prevent synapsis between nonhomologous chromosomes. ..
- Lee Y, Jeschke G, Roelants F, Thorner J, Turk B. Reciprocal phosphorylation of yeast glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenases in adaptation to distinct types of stress. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4705-17 pubmed publisher..Introduction of phosphorylation motifs targeted by distinct kinases provides a general mechanism for functional specialization of duplicated genes during evolution. ..
- Erdman S, Lin L, Malczynski M, Snyder M. Pheromone-regulated genes required for yeast mating differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:461-83 pubmed..Our results indicate that a variety of novel genes are expressed specifically during mating differentiation to mediate proper cell morphogenesis, cell fusion, and other steps of the mating process. ..
- Li J, Agarwal S, Roeder G. SSP2 and OSW1, two sporulation-specific genes involved in spore morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;175:143-54 pubmed..We propose that Ssp2 plays a role in vesicle fusion during PSM formation. ..
- Kusmierczyk A, Kunjappu M, Funakoshi M, Hochstrasser M. A multimeric assembly factor controls the formation of alternative 20S proteasomes. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:237-44 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that Pba3-Pba4 orchestrates formation of a specific type of proteasome, the first example of a trans-acting factor that controls assembly of alternative proteasomal complexes. ..
- Busygina V, Saro D, Williams G, Leung W, Say A, Sehorn M, et al. Novel attributes of Hed1 affect dynamics and activity of the Rad51 presynaptic filament during meiotic recombination. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:1566-75 pubmed publisher..Our results shed light on the mechanism of action of Hed1 in meiotic recombination control. ..
- Salminen A, Novick P. The Sec15 protein responds to the function of the GTP binding protein, Sec4, to control vesicular traffic in yeast. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:1023-36 pubmed..The sec4-8 and sec2-4l mutations, but not mutations in other SEC genes, prevent formation of the Sec15 protein patch. We propose that Sec15 protein responds to the function of the Sec4 protein to control vesicular traffic. ..
- Santos B, Snyder M. Sbe2p and sbe22p, two homologous Golgi proteins involved in yeast cell wall formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:435-52 pubmed..Thus, we suggest a model in which Sbe2p and Sbe22p are involved in the transport of cell wall components from the Golgi apparatus to the cell surface periphery in a pathway independent of Chs5p. ..
- Wehner K, Gallagher J, Baserga S. Components of an interdependent unit within the SSU processome regulate and mediate its activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7258-67 pubmed..Furthermore, heterologous complementation experiments demonstrate that the last 95 amino acids of yeast Mpp10p are specifically required for growth and pre-rRNA processing at low temperatures. ..
- Chen L, Zhao H. Gene expression analysis reveals that histone deacetylation sites may serve as partitions of chromatin gene expression domains. BMC Genomics. 2005;6:44 pubmed..Histone deacetylation sites may serve as possible partition sites for chromatin domains and affect gene expression. ..
- Chatenay Lapointe M, Shadel G. Repression of mitochondrial translation, respiration and a metabolic cycle-regulated gene, SLF1, by the yeast Pumilio-family protein Puf3p. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20441 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results should facilitate future studies on which of the many functions of Puf3p is most relevant for regulating mitochondrial gene expression and the role of nuclear-mitochondrial communication in aging and longevity. ..
- Lian J, Stone S, Jiang Y, Lyons P, Ferro Novick S. Ypt1p implicated in v-SNARE activation. Nature. 1994;372:698-701 pubmed..Because the v-SNARE resides on more than one membrane, such a regulated activation step may be necessary to prevent the premature fusion of donor and acceptor compartments. ..
- Sheu Y, Barral Y, Snyder M. Polarized growth controls cell shape and bipolar bud site selection in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:5235-47 pubmed..We propose that apical growth and repolarization at the site of cytokinesis are crucial for establishing spatial cues used by diploid yeast cells to position division planes. ..
- Mason A, Allen K, Slayman C. Effects of C-terminal truncations on trafficking of the yeast plasma membrane H+-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23887-98 pubmed
- Solem A, Zingler N, Pyle A. A DEAD protein that activates intron self-splicing without unwinding RNA. Mol Cell. 2006;24:611-7 pubmed..Rather, we propose that Mss116 promotes the ordered assembly of large RNA molecules through stabilization of on-pathway intermediates. ..
- Tsubouchi T, MacQueen A, Roeder G. Initiation of meiotic chromosome synapsis at centromeres in budding yeast. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3217-26 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for two classes of synapsis initiation events that differ in location, timing, genetic requirements, and relationship to meiotic recombination...
- Liu Y, Gaines W, Callender T, Busygina V, Oke A, Sung P, et al. Down-regulation of Rad51 activity during meiosis in yeast prevents competition with Dmc1 for repair of double-strand breaks. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004005 pubmed publisher..These results support the idea that down-regulation of Rad51 activity is important during meiosis to prevent Rad51 from competing with Dmc1 for repair of meiotic DSBs. ..
- Miller A, Daley J, Pham N, Niu H, Xue X, Ira G, et al. A novel role of the Dna2 translocase function in DNA break resection. Genes Dev. 2017;31:503-510 pubmed publisher..Our study thus reveals a previously unrecognized role of the Dna2 translocase activity in DNA break end resection and in the imposition of the 5' strand specificity of end resection. ..
- Page B, Snyder M. CIK1: a developmentally regulated spindle pole body-associated protein important for microtubule functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1414-29 pubmed
- Smith A, Roeder G. The yeast Red1 protein localizes to the cores of meiotic chromosomes. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:957-67 pubmed..These observations are consistent with previous genetic studies suggesting that Red1 and Hop1 directly interact. There is little or no Hop1 protein on pachytene chromosomes or in synapsed chromosomal regions. ..
- Dong G, Hutagalung A, Fu C, Novick P, Reinisch K. The structures of exocyst subunit Exo70p and the Exo84p C-terminal domains reveal a common motif. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:1094-100 pubmed
- Costigan C, Kolodrubetz D, Snyder M. NHP6A and NHP6B, which encode HMG1-like proteins, are candidates for downstream components of the yeast SLT2 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:2391-403 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Slt2p MAPK pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae may mediate its function in cell growth and morphogenesis, at least in part, through high-mobility group proteins. ..
- Jiang Y, Rossi G, Ferro Novick S. Bet2p and Mad2p are components of a prenyltransferase that adds geranylgeranyl onto Ypt1p and Sec4p. Nature. 1993;366:84-6 pubmed..The efficient transfer of geranylgeranyl onto small GTP-binding proteins requires the presence of an additional activity. ..
- Finger F, Hughes T, Novick P. Sec3p is a spatial landmark for polarized secretion in budding yeast. Cell. 1998;92:559-71 pubmed..We propose that Sec3p is a spatial landmark defining sites of exocytosis. Polarized secretion would result from the coupling of actin-dependent vesicle targeting with Sec3p-dependent establishment of the vesicle fusion site. ..
- Grote E, Vlacich G, Pypaert M, Novick P. A snc1 endocytosis mutant: phenotypic analysis and suppression by overproduction of dihydrosphingosine phosphate lyase. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:4051-65 pubmed
- Liu Y, Schiff M, Czymmek K, Tall czy Z, Levine B, Dinesh Kumar S. Autophagy regulates programmed cell death during the plant innate immune response. Cell. 2005;121:567-577 pubmed publisher..Thus, the evolutionarily conserved autophagy pathway plays an essential role in plant innate immunity and negatively regulates PCD...
- Nandabalan K, Roeder G. Binding of a cell-type-specific RNA splicing factor to its target regulatory sequence. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:1953-60 pubmed..RNase T1 footprinting indicates that the Mer1 protein contacts MER2 RNA at several points in the 5' exon and in the intron. Thus, Mer1 interacts directly with a regulatory element in MER2 RNA and promotes splicing. ..
- Yoo C, Wolin S. La proteins from Drosophila melanogaster and Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a yeast homolog of the La autoantigen is dispensable for growth. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:5412-24 pubmed
- Walch Solimena C, Novick P. The yeast phosphatidylinositol-4-OH kinase pik1 regulates secretion at the Golgi. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:523-5 pubmed
- Juo Z, Kassavetis G, Wang J, Geiduschek E, Sigler P. Crystal structure of a transcription factor IIIB core interface ternary complex. Nature. 2003;422:534-9 pubmed..The structure reveals the core interface for assembly of TFIIIB and demonstrates how the loosely packed Brf1 domain achieves remarkable binding specificity with the convex and lateral surfaces of TBP. ..
- Casamayor A, Snyder M. Molecular dissection of a yeast septin: distinct domains are required for septin interaction, localization, and function. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2762-77 pubmed..Thus, we find that septins are multifunctional proteins with specific domains involved in distinct molecular interactions required for assembly, localization, and function within the cell. ..
- Chi P, San Filippo J, Sehorn M, Petukhova G, Sung P. Bipartite stimulatory action of the Hop2-Mnd1 complex on the Rad51 recombinase. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1747-57 pubmed..Thus, our results unveil a bipartite mechanism of Hop2-Mnd1 in homologous DNA pairing: stabilization of the Rad51 presynaptic filament and duplex DNA capture to enhance synaptic complex formation. ..
- Prakash R, Satory D, Dray E, Papusha A, Scheller J, Kramer W, et al. Yeast Mph1 helicase dissociates Rad51-made D-loops: implications for crossover control in mitotic recombination. Genes Dev. 2009;23:67-79 pubmed publisher..Importantly, Mph1, but not a helicase-defective variant, dissociates Rad51-made D-loops. Overall, the results from our analyses suggest a new role of Mph1 in promoting the noncrossover repair of DNA double-strand breaks. ..
- Seong C, Colavito S, Kwon Y, Sung P, Krejci L. Regulation of Rad51 recombinase presynaptic filament assembly via interactions with the Rad52 mediator and the Srs2 anti-recombinase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:24363-71 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our biochemical studies have helped identify A320V as a separation-of-function mutation in Rad51 with regards to a differential ablation of Rad52 interaction. ..
- Burton J, Solomon M. D box and KEN box motifs in budding yeast Hsl1p are required for APC-mediated degradation and direct binding to Cdc20p and Cdh1p. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2381-95 pubmed..These results indicate that D box and KEN box motifs are important for direct binding to the APC machinery, leading to ubiquitination and subsequent protein degradation. ..
- Kreft S, Wang L, Hochstrasser M. Membrane topology of the yeast endoplasmic reticulum-localized ubiquitin ligase Doa10 and comparison with its human ortholog TEB4 (MARCH-VI). J Biol Chem. 2006;281:4646-53 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that the likely human Doa10 ortholog, TEB4 (MARCH-VI), adopts a topology similar to that of Doa10...
- Zheng W, Zhao H, Mancera E, Steinmetz L, Snyder M. Genetic analysis of variation in transcription factor binding in yeast. Nature. 2010;464:1187-91 pubmed publisher..Overall, these studies identified genetic regulators of molecular diversity among individuals and provide new insights into mechanisms of gene regulation. ..
- Courtemanche N, Pollard T. Determinants of Formin Homology 1 (FH1) domain function in actin filament elongation by formins. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7812-20 pubmed publisher..FH1 domains of many other formins follow this organizational trend. This particular sequence architecture may optimize the efficiency of FH1-stimulated elongation. ..
- Costigan C, Gehrung S, Snyder M. A synthetic lethal screen identifies SLK1, a novel protein kinase homolog implicated in yeast cell morphogenesis and cell growth. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:1162-78 pubmed..Tatchell, Mol. Cell. Biol. 11:3369-3373, 1991). These data suggest that SLK1 plays a role in both cell morphogenesis and the control of cell growth. We speculate that SLK1 may be a regulatory link for these two cellular processes. ..
- Stolc V, Altman S. Rpp1, an essential protein subunit of nuclear RNase P required for processing of precursor tRNA and 35S precursor rRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2414-25 pubmed..Immunoprecipitated complexes cleave both yeast precursor tRNAs and precursor rRNAs. ..
- Ni L, Snyder M. A genomic study of the bipolar bud site selection pattern in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2147-70 pubmed..Genome-wide screens of defined collections of mutants hold significant promise for dissecting many biological processes in yeast. ..
- Deng M, Hochstrasser M. Spatially regulated ubiquitin ligation by an ER/nuclear membrane ligase. Nature. 2006;443:827-31 pubmed..These data indicate that different membrane ubiquitin ligases are spatially sorted within the ER-nuclear envelope membrane system and that this differential localization contributes to their specificity. ..
- Jia Lin Ma N, Stern D. Regulation of the Rad53 protein kinase in signal amplification by oligomer assembly and disassembly. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:808-17 pubmed..The results support the conclusions that Rad53/Chk2 homo-oligomerization is an evolutionarily conserved mechanism that drives Rad53/Chk2 activation and promotes signal amplification in DNA damage responses. ..
- Flannery A, Stevens T. Functional characterization of the N-terminal domain of subunit H (Vma13p) of the yeast vacuolar ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29099-108 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the mammalian V-ATPase complexes with subunit H splice variant SFD-alpha or SFD-beta are likely to have different activities and may perform distinct cellular functions. ..
- Rockmill B, Engebrecht J, Scherthan H, Loidl J, Roeder G. The yeast MER2 gene is required for chromosome synapsis and the initiation of meiotic recombination. Genetics. 1995;141:49-59 pubmed..We suggest that the primary defect in the mer2 mutant is in the initiation of meiotic genetic exchange. ..
- Rockmill B, Sym M, Scherthan H, Roeder G. Roles for two RecA homologs in promoting meiotic chromosome synapsis. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2684-95 pubmed..In a zip1 haploid, axial associations are not apparent, suggesting that these associations depend on interactions between homologous sequences. ..