Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Winters C, Hong Brown L, Chiang H. The Shape of Vesicle-Containing Organelles Is Critical for Their Functions in Vesicle Endocytosis. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:909-921 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the shape of vesicle-containing organelles is critical for their functions in vesicle endocytosis...
- Brown C, Hung G, Dunton D, Chiang H. The TOR complex 1 is distributed in endosomes and in retrograde vesicles that form from the vacuole membrane and plays an important role in the vacuole import and degradation pathway. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23359-70 pubmed publisher..We suggest that TORC1 interacts with multiple cargo proteins destined for the Vid pathway and plays an important role in the degradation of FBPase in the vacuole. ..
- Diep C, Tao X, Pilauri V, Losiewicz M, Blank T, Hopper J. Genetic evidence for sites of interaction between the Gal3 and Gal80 proteins of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae GAL gene switch. Genetics. 2008;178:725-36 pubmed publisher..The striking colocalization of intergenic suppressor residues and Gal80 nonbinder residues identifies a Gal3 surface that likely interacts with Gal80. ..
- Diep C, Peng G, Bewley M, Pilauri V, Ropson I, Hopper J. Intragenic suppression of Gal3C interaction with Gal80 in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae GAL gene switch. Genetics. 2006;172:77-87 pubmed..In addition, because D368V and residues corresponding to Gal80-nonbinder mutations colocalized to a domain that is absent in homologous proteins that do not bind to Gal80, we suggest that D368 is a part of the Gal80-binding surface. ..
- White S, Hoeger M, Schweppe J, Shillingford A, Shipilov V, Zarutskie J. Internal loop mutations in the ribosomal protein L30 binding site of the yeast L30 RNA transcript. RNA. 2004;10:369-77 pubmed..In the absence of L30, some of the internal loop residues involved in the formation of the kink-turn motif are protected from chemical modification, indicating that some elements of kink-turn structure may form in the free L30 RNA. ..
- Brown C, McCann J, Chiang H. The heat shock protein Ssa2p is required for import of fructose-1, 6-bisphosphatase into Vid vesicles. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:65-76 pubmed..Thus, Ssa2p, as well as other undefined cytosolic proteins are required for the import of FBPase into vesicles. ..
- Peng G, Hopper J. Evidence for Gal3p's cytoplasmic location and Gal80p's dual cytoplasmic-nuclear location implicates new mechanisms for controlling Gal4p activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:5140-8 pubmed..These results are the first indication that the subcellular distribution dynamics of the Gal3 and Gal80 proteins play a role in regulating Gal4p-mediated GAL gene expression in vivo. ..
- Gan Z. Yeast thioredoxin genes. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:1692-6 pubmed..Thioredoxins I and II show 78% amino acid sequence identity. They display more amino acid sequence similarity with mammalian thioredoxin than with Escherichia coli and plant chloroplast thioredoxins. ..
- Sarkar S, Hopper A. tRNA nuclear export in saccharomyces cerevisiae: in situ hybridization analysis. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:3041-55 pubmed..Our results also argue against inappropriate subnuclear compartmentalization causing defects in pre-tRNA splicing. Rather, the data support "feedback" of nucleus/cytosol exchange to the pre-tRNA splicing machinery. ..
- Kohl N, Diehl R, Schaber M, Rands E, Soderman D, He B, et al. Structural homology among mammalian and Saccharomyces cerevisiae isoprenyl-protein transferases. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:18884-8 pubmed
- O Connor J, Peebles C. In vivo pre-tRNA processing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:425-39 pubmed..Evidently, splicing and end trimming are not ordered relative to each other, splicing occurring either before or after end trimming. ..
- Saunders W, Lengyel V, Hoyt M. Mitotic spindle function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires a balance between different types of kinesin-related motors. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1025-33 pubmed..This is the first direct demonstration of antagonistic motors acting on the intact spindle and suggests that spindle length is determined by the relative activity of Kar3p-like and Cin8p/Kip1p-like motors. ..
- Vallen E, Cross F. Interaction between the MEC1-dependent DNA synthesis checkpoint and G1 cyclin function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 1999;151:459-71 pubmed..Thus deletion of CLN1 and CLN2 could function similarly to overexpression of RNR1 in suppressing mec1 lethality. ..
- Zehfus B, McWilliams A, Lin Y, Hoekstra M, Keil R. Genetic control of RNA polymerase I-stimulated recombination in yeast. Genetics. 1990;126:41-52 pubmed..There is also a component of HOT1 activity that is independent of both RAD1 and RAD52. ..
- Radford S, Boyle M, Sheely C, Graham J, Haeusser D, Zimmerman L, et al. Increase in Ty1 cDNA recombination in yeast sir4 mutant strains at high temperature. Genetics. 2004;168:89-101 pubmed..We speculate that the increase in recombination seen in sir4 mutants at high temperature may be due to changes in chromatin structure or Ty1 interactions with chromosomal structures resulting in higher recombination rates. ..
- Zoladek T, Tobiasz A, Vaduva G, Boguta M, Martin N, Hopper A. MDP1, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene involved in mitochondrial/cytoplasmic protein distribution, is identical to the ubiquitin-protein ligase gene RSP5. Genetics. 1997;145:595-603 pubmed..Identification of MDP1 as RSP5, along with our previous identification of MDP2/VRP1 and MDP3/PAN1, implicate interactions of the ubiquitin system, the actin cytoskeleton and protein synthesis in the subcellular distribution of proteins. ..
- Saunders W, Hornack D, Lengyel V, Deng C. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae kinesin-related motor Kar3p acts at preanaphase spindle poles to limit the number and length of cytoplasmic microtubules. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:417-31 pubmed..These results suggest that the Kar3p motor may act to regulate the length and number of microtubules in the preanaphase spindle...
- Cui D, Brown C, Chiang H. The type 1 phosphatase Reg1p-Glc7p is required for the glucose-induced degradation of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in the vacuole. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:9713-24 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that Reg1p-Glc7p interaction and Glc7p phosphatase activity play a required role in the Vid vesicle to vacuole-trafficking step along the FBPase degradation pathway. ..
- Goeckeler J, Stephens A, Lee P, Caplan A, Brodsky J. Overexpression of yeast Hsp110 homolog Sse1p suppresses ydj1-151 thermosensitivity and restores Hsp90-dependent activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2760-70 pubmed..Because the folding of both v-Src kinase and human androgen receptor in yeast requires the Hsp90 complex, these data suggest that Ydj1p and Sse1p are interacting cochaperones in the Hsp90 complex and facilitate Hsp90-dependent activity. ..
- Alibhoy A, Giardina B, Dunton D, Chiang H. Vps34p is required for the decline of extracellular fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in the vacuole import and degradation pathway. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:33080-93 pubmed..We suggest that VPS34 plays a critical role in the decline of extracellular FBPase in response to glucose. ..
- Giardina B, Dunton D, Chiang H. Vid28 protein is required for the association of vacuole import and degradation (Vid) vesicles with actin patches and the retention of Vid vesicle proteins in the intracellular fraction. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:11636-48 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the ARM domain is required for the association of Vid vesicles with actin patches and the retention of Vid vesicle proteins in the intracellular fraction. ..
- Vallen E, Caviston J, Bi E. Roles of Hof1p, Bni1p, Bnr1p, and myo1p in cytokinesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:593-611 pubmed..In bni1Delta cells that lack the actomyosin contraction, septum formation is often slow and asymmetric, suggesting that actomyosin contraction may provide directionality for efficient septum formation. ..
- O Connor J, Peebles C. PTA1, an essential gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae affecting pre-tRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:3843-56 pubmed..Disruption of PTA1 near the carboxy terminus of the putative open reading frame was lethal. Possible functions of the PTA1 gene product are discussed. ..
- Koldamova R, Lefterov I, DiSabella M, Almonte C, Watkins S, Lazo J. Human bleomycin hydrolase binds ribosomal proteins. Biochemistry. 1999;38:7111-7 pubmed..In vitro experiments showed recombinant hBH binds to Chinese hamster ovary cell microsomes. Thus, our data strongly suggest that hBH exists as both a free cytosolic and ribosome-associated protein. ..
- Omer C, Kral A, Diehl R, Prendergast G, Powers S, Allen C, et al. Characterization of recombinant human farnesyl-protein transferase: cloning, expression, farnesyl diphosphate binding, and functional homology with yeast prenyl-protein transferases. Biochemistry. 1993;32:5167-76 pubmed..Kinetic analyses showed that these mutant human FPTases have Km and kcat values that are altered with respect to wild-type human FPTase. ..
- Murthi A, Hopper A. Genome-wide screen for inner nuclear membrane protein targeting in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: roles for N-acetylation and an integral membrane protein. Genetics. 2005;170:1553-60 pubmed..Our methodology can be extrapolated to obtain genome-wide perspectives of mechanisms necessary to achieve appropriate subcellular and/or suborganellar location for any resident protein. ..
- Shirra M, Rogers S, Alexander D, Arndt K. The Snf1 protein kinase and Sit4 protein phosphatase have opposing functions in regulating TATA-binding protein association with the Saccharomyces cerevisiae INO1 promoter. Genetics. 2005;169:1957-72 pubmed..However, analysis of rapamycin-treated cells suggests that Sit4 represses INO1 transcription through multiple mechanisms, only one of which may involve inhibition of TOR signaling. ..
- Brown C, Liu J, Hung G, Carter D, Cui D, Chiang H. The Vid vesicle to vacuole trafficking event requires components of the SNARE membrane fusion machinery. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25688-99 pubmed..In contrast, the t-SNARE Vam3p was a necessary vacuolar component. Vid vesicle-vacuole trafficking exhibits characteristics similar to heterotypic membrane fusion events. ..
- Stolinski L, Eisenmann D, Arndt K. Identification of RTF1, a novel gene important for TATA site selection by TATA box-binding protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4490-500 pubmed..Taken together, our findings suggest that Rtf1 either directly or indirectly regulates the DNA binding properties of TBP and, consequently, the relative activities of different TATA elements in vivo. ..
- Azad A, Stanford D, Sarkar S, Hopper A. Role of nuclear pools of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases in tRNA nuclear export. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1381-92 pubmed..No genetic interactions between aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases and Los1p were detected, indicating that tRNA nuclear aminoacylation and Los1p operate in the same export pathway or there are more than two pathways for tRNA nuclear export. ..
- Vaduva G, Martin N, Hopper A. Actin-binding verprolin is a polarity development protein required for the morphogenesis and function of the yeast actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1821-33 pubmed..We speculate that the effects of verprolin upon the actin cytoskeleton might influence mitochondrial protein sorting/function via mRNA distribution. ..
- Sil A, Alam S, Xin P, Ma L, Morgan M, Lebo C, et al. The Gal3p-Gal80p-Gal4p transcription switch of yeast: Gal3p destabilizes the Gal80p-Gal4p complex in response to galactose and ATP. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7828-40 pubmed
- Ganster R, Shen W, Schmidt M. Isolation of STD1, a high-copy-number suppressor of a dominant negative mutation in the yeast TATA-binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:3650-9 pubmed
- Hung G, Brown C, Wolfe A, Liu J, Chiang H. Degradation of the gluconeogenic enzymes fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase and malate dehydrogenase is mediated by distinct proteolytic pathways and signaling events. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49138-50 pubmed..By contrast, the cAMP-dependent signaling pathway was not involved in the non-vacuolar degradation of these proteins, although the phosphorylation of glucose was required. ..
- Brown C, Dunton D, Chiang H. The vacuole import and degradation pathway utilizes early steps of endocytosis and actin polymerization to deliver cargo proteins to the vacuole for degradation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:1516-28 pubmed publisher..Following the fusion of endosomes with the vacuole, cargo proteins are then degraded in the vacuole. ..