Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk assessment in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: risk assessment
Publications541 found, 100 shown here
- Menezes A, Lavie C, Milani R, Forman D, King M, Williams M. Cardiac rehabilitation in the United States. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;56:522-9 pubmed publisher..Over the course of this review, we will discuss some of the many benefits of CR, some of the risk factors for CHD in the US, and factors that affect referral and participation in these programs. ..
- Redmond N, Booth J, Tanner R, Diaz K, Abdalla M, Sims M, et al. Prevalence of Masked Hypertension and Its Association With Subclinical Cardiovascular Disease in African Americans: Results From the Jackson Heart Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5:e002284 pubmed publisher..Masked hypertension was common among African Americans with prehypertension and also normal CBP, and was associated with subclinical cardiovascular disease. ..
- Lauro A, Marino I, Iyer K. Pre-emptive Intestinal Transplant: The Surgeon's Point of View. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2966-2976 pubmed publisher..At the present time, diseases with a variable and unpredictable course, such as intestinal dysmotility disorders, or quality of life and financial issues are still far from being considered as indications for a pre-emptive transplant. ..
- Roh J, Teng A, Yoo J, Davis J, Furey C, Bohlman H. Degenerative disorders of the lumbar and cervical spine. Orthop Clin North Am. 2005;36:255-62 pubmed
- Pass H, Wali A, Tang N, Ivanova A, Ivanov S, Harbut M, et al. Soluble mesothelin-related peptide level elevation in mesothelioma serum and pleural effusions. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008;85:265-72; discussion 272 pubmed..These data support SMRP as a promising marker for MPM in both serum and pleural effusion fluid, and justify prospective screening studies of SMRP in combination with other markers for screening of asbestos-exposed cohorts. ..
- Wisoff J, Jane J, Selman W, Fahlbusch R. Introduction: Craniopharyngioma. Neurosurg Focus. 2010;28:1 p preceding E1 pubmed
- Gardner M, Brodsky A, Briggs S, Nielson J, Lorich D. Fixation of posterior malleolar fractures provides greater syndesmotic stability. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;447:165-71 pubmed..Although additional clinical investigation is warranted, these concepts may be useful in eliminating syndesmotic screw fixation in select patients. ..
- Yossepowitch O, Eggener S, Bianco F, Carver B, Serio A, Scardino P, et al. Radical prostatectomy for clinically localized, high risk prostate cancer: critical analysis of risk assessment methods. J Urol. 2007;178:493-9; discussion 499 pubmed..Many cancers classified clinically as high risk are actually confined to the prostate pathologically. The risk of extraprostatic disease and prostate specific antigen relapse varies greatly depending on the definition used. ..
- Beitler J, Garg M, Owen R, Sarta C, Yaparpalvi R, Smith R. High-dose-rate brachytherapy plus neck dissection for nodal disease. Head Neck. 2008;30:933-8 pubmed publisher..The 2-year actuarial regional control was 56% for the patients with a disease-free interval of at least 3 years. High-dose-rate brachytherapy produced excellent regional control. (c) 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Head Neck, 2008. ..
- Lansky A, Mehran R, Cristea E, Parise H, Feit F, Ohman E, et al. Impact of gender and antithrombin strategy on early and late clinical outcomes in patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes (from the ACUITY trial). Am J Cardiol. 2009;103:1196-203 pubmed publisher..In women, bivalirudin monotherapy compared with a GPI-based strategy resulted in significantly decreased bleeding but similar rates of 1-year composite ischemia and mortality. ..
- Min J, Dunning A, Lin F, Achenbach S, Al Mallah M, Berman D, et al. Rationale and design of the CONFIRM (COronary CT Angiography EvaluatioN For Clinical Outcomes: An InteRnational Multicenter) Registry. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2011;5:84-92 pubmed publisher..The results of the CONFIRM registry will provide valuable information about the optimal methods for using CCTA findings. ..
- Mehran R, Pocock S, Nikolsky E, Dangas G, Clayton T, Claessen B, et al. Impact of bleeding on mortality after percutaneous coronary intervention results from a patient-level pooled analysis of the REPLACE-2 (randomized evaluation of PCI linking angiomax to reduced clinical events), ACUITY (acute catheterization and urgen. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4:654-64 pubmed publisher..A risk score was established to calculate the bleeding risk for patients undergoing PCI, allowing therapeutic decision making to minimize the incidence of bleeding. ..
- Raven M, Doran K, Kostrowski S, Gillespie C, Elbel B. An intervention to improve care and reduce costs for high-risk patients with frequent hospital admissions: a pilot study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:270 pubmed publisher..We are currently expanding our model to serve more patients at additional hospitals to see if the pilot's success can be replicated. Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01292096. ..
- Ivanov I, Liu X, Shulz K, Fan J, London E, Friston K, et al. Parental substance abuse and function of the motivation and behavioral inhibition systems in drug-naÃ¯ve youth. Psychiatry Res. 2012;201:128-35 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a functional mismatch between these two systems may represent one possible biological underpinning of SA risk, which is conferred by a parental history of addiction. ..
- Rana H, Balwani M, Bier L, Alcalay R. Age-specific Parkinson disease risk in GBA mutation carriers: information for genetic counseling. Genet Med. 2013;15:146-9 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to identify what modifies the risk of Parkinson disease in GBA mutation carriers. ..
- Kuk D, Varadhan R. Model selection in competing risks regression. Stat Med. 2013;32:3077-88 pubmed publisher..We have implemented our method as a freely available R package called crrstep. ..
- Alexander A, Shah A, Constantinides M. Alar retraction: etiology, treatment, and prevention. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013;15:268-74 pubmed publisher..Structurally supportive grafting-including composite grafts, alar strut grafts, alar rim grafts, vertical lobule division, and alar batten grafts-can improve alar retraction. 4. ..
- Hannan E, Samadashvili Z, Stamato N, Lahey S, Wechsler A, Jordan D, et al. Utilization and 1-Year Mortality for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in New York Patients With Aortic Stenosis: 2011 to 2012. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:578-85 pubmed publisher..There are no differences between 1-year mortality rates for TAVR and SAVR patients. ..
- Viktorin A, Uher R, Kolevzon A, Reichenberg A, Levine S, Sandin S. Association of Antidepressant Medication Use During Pregnancy With Intellectual Disability in Offspring. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1031-1038 pubmed publisher..Maternal antidepressant medication use during pregnancy has previously been associated with adverse outcomes in offspring, but to our knowledge, the association with intellectual disability (ID) has not been investigated...
- Chasen S, Sharma G, Kalish R, Chervenak F. First-trimester screening for aneuploidy with fetal nuchal translucency in a United States population. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003;22:149-51 pubmed..Using ultrasound techniques and risk algorithms from The FMF, the performance of the test in an American population is similar to that described in international populations. ..
- Bilsky M. Transpedicular approach for thoracic disc herniations. Neurosurg Focus. 2000;9:e3 pubmed..The more anterior (transthoracic or thoracoscopic) and lateral (costotransversectomy or lateral extracavitary) approaches may be more useful for excision of central calcified discs. ..
- Bangalore S, Gopinath D, Yao S, Chaudhry F. Risk stratification using stress echocardiography: incremental prognostic value over historic, clinical, and stress electrocardiographic variables across a wide spectrum of bayesian pretest probabilities for coronary artery disease. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2007;20:244-52 pubmed..The best incremental value is, however, in the intermediate pretest probability subgroup. ..
- Kollmeier M, Pei X, Algur E, Yamada Y, Cox B, Cohen G, et al. A comparison of the impact of isotope ((125)I vs. (103)Pd) on toxicity and biochemical outcome after interstitial brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy for clinically localized prostate cancer. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:271-6 pubmed publisher..There was no significant difference in 5-year prostate-specific antigen relapse-free survival between (103)Pd and (125)I. ..
- Raj G, Tal R, Vickers A, Bochner B, Serio A, Donat S, et al. Significance of intraoperative ureteral evaluation at radical cystectomy for urothelial cancer. Cancer. 2006;107:2167-72 pubmed..However, the overall risk of recurrence is low and is not clearly associated with overall survival. The data do not support routine intraoperative frozen sections to assess ureteral involvement. ..
- Cohen T, Busam K, Patel A, Brady M. Subungual melanoma: management considerations. Am J Surg. 2008;195:244-8 pubmed..Patients with SM present distinct therapeutic challenges. They continue to present with deep primary melanoma, particularly on the toe. Undertreatment of early disease is associated with local recurrence. ..
- Sule S, Palaniswamy C, Aronow W, Ahn C, Peterson S, Adapa S, et al. Etiology of syncope in patients hospitalized with syncope and predictors of mortality and rehospitalization for syncope at 27-month follow-up. Clin Cardiol. 2011;34:35-8 pubmed publisher..5), atrial fibrillation (HR, 2.4; 95% CI, 1.0-5.4), and volume depletion (HR, 2.8; 95% CI, 1.4-5.8). Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose. ..
- Fayad Z, Mani V, Woodward M, Kallend D, Abt M, Burgess T, et al. Safety and efficacy of dalcetrapib on atherosclerotic disease using novel non-invasive multimodality imaging (dal-PLAQUE): a randomised clinical trial. Lancet. 2011;378:1547-59 pubmed publisher..F Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. ..
- Javidfar J, Brodie D, Iribarne A, Jurado J, Lavelle M, Brenner K, et al. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation as a bridge to lung transplantation and recovery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;144:716-21 pubmed publisher..Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation is a safe and effective means of bridging well-selected patients with refractory respiratory failure to lung transplantation or return to their baseline condition. ..
- Kalogeropoulos A, Kelkar A, Weinberger J, Morris A, Georgiopoulou V, Markham D, et al. Validation of clinical scores for right ventricular failure prediction after implantation of continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015;34:1595-603 pubmed publisher..5%), followed by Penn (C = 0.61), Michigan (C = 0.60) and CRITT (C = 0.60), but overall score performance was modest. Current schemes for post-LVAD RVF risk prediction perform only modestly when applied to external populations. ..
- Kim L, Looser P, Swaminathan R, Minutello R, Wong S, Girardi L, et al. Outcomes in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery in the United States based on hospital volume, 2007 to 2011. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;151:1686-92 pubmed publisher..39; 95% confidence interval, 1.24-1.56; P < .001). The rate of CABG procedures has declined, mainly at high-volume centers. Low CABG volume is associated with an increase in in-hospital mortality. ..
- Scarmeas N, Brandt J, Albert M, Devanand D, Marder K, Bell K, et al. Association between the APOE genotype and psychopathologic symptoms in Alzheimer's disease. Neurology. 2002;58:1182-8 pubmed..The presence of one or more epsilon4 alleles is a significant predictor for the incidence of delusions in the course of AD. ..
- Gordon T. Metalworking fluid--the toxicity of a complex mixture. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2004;67:209-19 pubmed..This review discusses the methodologies used to examine the toxicity of the complex nature of modern metalworking fluids and the findings that point toward bacterial endotoxin as a major contributor to their adverse effects. ..
- Dicpinigaitis P, Wolinsky P, Hiebert R, Egol K, Koval K, Tejwani N. Can external fixation maintain reduction after distal radius fractures?. J Trauma. 2004;57:845-50 pubmed..No specific predictor of loss of reduction was noted, although there was a trend toward loss of reduction in younger patients. ..
- Chun J, Joseph K, El Tamer M, Rundle A, Jacobson J, Schnabel F. Cohort study of women at risk for breast cancer and gross cystic disease. Am J Surg. 2005;190:583-7 pubmed..This cohort study was conducted to investigate the association of GCD and breast cancer among women at high risk for breast cancer...
- Albert D, Sadowsky D, Papapanou P, Conicella M, Ward A. An examination of periodontal treatment and per member per month (PMPM) medical costs in an insured population. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006;6:103 pubmed..Additional studies are indicated to examine if this relationship is maintained after adjusting for confounding factors such as smoking and SES. ..
- Kauffman E, Barocas D, Chen Y, Yang X, Scherr D, Tu J. Differential expression of KAI1 metastasis suppressor protein in renal cell tumor histological subtypes. J Urol. 2009;181:2305-11 pubmed publisher..It remains to be determined whether KAI1 expression contributes to the low metastatic potential of chromophobe renal cell carcinoma. ..
- Mosca L, Mochari Greenberger H, Dolor R, Newby L, Robb K. Twelve-year follow-up of American women's awareness of cardiovascular disease risk and barriers to heart health. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010;3:120-7 pubmed publisher..Numerous misperceptions and barriers to prevention persist and women strongly favored environmental approaches to facilitate preventive action. ..
- Boffetta P, Couto E, Wichmann J, Ferrari P, Trichopoulos D, Bueno de Mesquita H, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and overall cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:529-37 pubmed publisher..A very small inverse association between intake of total fruits and vegetables and cancer risk was observed in this study. Given the small magnitude of the observed associations, caution should be applied in their interpretation. ..
- Lee D, Ritch C, Desai M, Benson M, McKiernan J. The interaction of body mass index and race in predicting biochemical failure after radical prostatectomy. BJU Int. 2011;107:1741-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that elevated BMI does not affect the BCF rates of black men more than in other races, and that other factors may influence the racial variability in disease-free survival and BCF risk. ..
- Hoffman S, Higgins J, Beckford Jarrett S, Augenbraun M, Bylander K, Mantell J, et al. Contexts of risk and networks of protection: NYC West Indian immigrants' perceptions of migration and vulnerability to sexually transmitted diseases. Cult Health Sex. 2011;13:513-28 pubmed publisher..West Indian immigrants' risk in NYC may be driven by access to wider sexual networks but failure to alter reliance on 'networks of knowledge' for protection...
- Hatzenbuehler M, Bellatorre A, Lee Y, Finch B, Muennig P, Fiscella K. Structural stigma and all-cause mortality in sexual minority populations. Soc Sci Med. 2014;103:33-41 pubmed publisher..5) and low-prejudice (age 55.7) communities. These results highlight the importance of examining structural forms of stigma and prejudice as social determinants of health and longevity among minority populations. ..
- ..The technique may also help us elucidate the interplay of several genes and their alteration in the mechanism of drug response and resistance. ..
- Horowitz C, Abul Husn N, Ellis S, Ramos M, Negron R, Suprun M, et al. Determining the effects and challenges of incorporating genetic testing into primary care management of hypertensive patients with African ancestry. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016;47:101-8 pubmed publisher..It will also add to the important dialog about factors that contribute to and may help eliminate racial disparities in kidney disease. ..
- Erdreich L, Klauenberg B. Radio frequency radiation exposure standards: considerations for harmonization. Health Phys. 2001;80:430-9 pubmed..This analysis suggests harmonization of standards will require more detailed review and coordination of biological and engineering data and of policy options. ..
- Miller S, Hazrati Y, Cornwall R, Hayes P, Gothelf T, Gladstone J, et al. Failed surgical management of partial thickness rotator cuff tears. Orthopedics. 2002;25:1255-7 pubmed..Twenty-six percent of patients who underwent debridement and 12.5% of patients who had mini-open repair had unsatisfactory results according to Neer's criteria. ..
- Zablotska L, Chak A, Das A, Neugut A. Increased risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer after adjuvant radiation therapy for primary breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;161:330-7 pubmed..This finding appears to be a function of the portals used for postmastectomy radiation therapy, which do not expose the lowest third of the esophagus, where adenocarcinomas commonly arise. ..
- Huang R, Wright T, Panjabi M, Lipman J. Biomechanics of nonfusion implants. Orthop Clin North Am. 2005;36:271-80 pubmed..Implant design issues can also markedly affect performance. ..
- Thurston G, Ito K, Mar T, Christensen W, Eatough D, Henry R, et al. Workgroup report: workshop on source apportionment of particulate matter health effects--intercomparison of results and implications. Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:1768-74 pubmed..These results provide supportive evidence that existing PM2.5 source apportionment methods can be used to derive reliable insights into the source components that contribute to PM2.5 health effects. ..
- Balter S, Hopewell J, Miller D, Wagner L, Zelefsky M. Fluoroscopically guided interventional procedures: a review of radiation effects on patients' skin and hair. Radiology. 2010;254:326-41 pubmed publisher..If the same area of skin is likely to be exposed to levels higher than a few grays, the effects of previous irradiation should be included when estimating the expected tissue reaction from the additional procedure. ..
- Louis E, Zheng W. Beta-carboline alkaloids and essential tremor: exploring the environmental determinants of one of the most prevalent neurological diseases. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010;10:1783-94 pubmed publisher..Studies of harmane and its possible association with ET have been intriguing. Additional studies are needed to establish more definitively whether these toxic exposures are associated with ET and are of etiological importance. ..
- Yousef Y, Finger P. Lack of radiation maculopathy after palladium-103 plaque radiotherapy for iris melanoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;83:1107-12 pubmed publisher..To report on the risk of radiation maculopathy for iris and iridociliary melanomas treated by (103)Pd plaque radiotherapy...
- Rajda J, Vreeman D, Wei H. Semantic interoperability of Health Risk Assessments. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011;2011:1134-43 pubmed..We propose that using LOINC codes or other universal coding schema may allow semantic interoperability of a variety of HRA tools across the industry, research, and clinical settings. ..
- Hakimi A, Chen Y, Wren J, Gonen M, Abdel Wahab O, Heguy A, et al. Clinical and pathologic impact of select chromatin-modulating tumor suppressors in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol. 2013;63:848-54 pubmed publisher..Further studies validating the clinical impact of these novel mutations and future development of therapeutics remedying these tumor suppressors are warranted. ..
- Weisz G, Metzger D, Caputo R, Delgado J, Marshall J, Vetrovec G, et al. Safety and feasibility of robotic percutaneous coronary intervention: PRECISE (Percutaneous Robotically-Enhanced Coronary Intervention) Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:1596-600 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of the Safety and Effectiveness of the CorPath 200 System in Percutaneous Coronary Interventions [PCI] [PRECISE]; NCT01275092). ..
- Baril D, Ellozy S, Carroccio A, Patel A, Lookstein R, Marin M. Endovascular repair of an infected carotid artery pseudoaneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2004;40:1024-7 pubmed..We present the case of an infected carotid pseudoaneurysm that was successfully treated with a covered stent graft. ..
- Kumar S, Negassa A, Monrad E, Srinivas V. The Mayo Clinic Risk Score predicts in-hospital mortality following primary angioplasty. J Invasive Cardiol. 2005;17:522-6 pubmed..5%) patients with cardiogenic shock were excluded from the analysis. The overall c-statistic for the prediction of in-hospital mortality by MCRS was 0.85. Increasing MCRS predicts in-hospital mortality following primary angioplasty. ..
- Stapf C, Mohr J, Choi J, Hartmann A, Mast H. Invasive treatment of unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations is experimental therapy. Curr Opin Neurol. 2006;19:63-8 pubmed..In a scientific sense, invasive treatment for unruptured brain AVMs may be considered experimental therapy awaiting the results from 'A Randomized Trial of Unruptured Brain AVMs' (ARUBA), which is currently underway. ..
- Guillem J, Wood W, Moley J, Berchuck A, Karlan B, Mutch D, et al. ASCO/SSO review of current role of risk-reducing surgery in common hereditary cancer syndromes. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:1296-321 pubmed
- Shah L. Lung transplantation in sarcoidosis. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;28:134-40 pubmed..Recurrent sarcoidosis in the lung allografts can occur but does not affect survival or risk for complications. ..
- Cantillon D, Stein K, Markowitz S, Mittal S, Shah B, Morin D, et al. Predictive value of microvolt T-wave alternans in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50:166-73 pubmed..However, the event rate in the TWA-negative group suggests that TWA may not be capable of identifying a sufficiently low-risk subset in this population to obviate the need for ICD implantation. ..
- Muntner P, Winston J, Uribarri J, Mann D, Fox C. Overweight, obesity, and elevated serum cystatin C levels in adults in the United States. Am J Med. 2008;121:341-8 pubmed publisher..A graded association exists between higher BMI and elevated serum cystatin C. Further research is warranted to assess whether reducing BMI favorably affects elevated serum cystatin C and the development of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Suchy F, Brannon P, Carpenter T, Fernandez J, Gilsanz V, Gould J, et al. NIH consensus development conference statement: Lactose intolerance and health. NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2010;27:1-27 pubmed..Educational programs and behavioral approaches for individuals and their healthcare providers should be developed and validated to improve the nutrition and symptoms of individuals with lactose intolerance and dairy avoidance. ..
- Hershman D, Kushi L, Shao T, Buono D, Kershenbaum A, Tsai W, et al. Early discontinuation and nonadherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy in a cohort of 8,769 early-stage breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:4120-8 pubmed publisher..Younger women are at high risk of nonadherence. Interventions to improve adherence and continuation of hormonal therapy are needed, especially for younger women. ..
- Saland J, Pierce C, Mitsnefes M, Flynn J, Goebel J, Kupferman J, et al. Dyslipidemia in children with chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2010;78:1154-63 pubmed publisher..Hence, among children with moderate chronic kidney disease, dyslipidemia is common and is associated with lower GFR, nephrotic proteinuria, and non-renal factors including age and obesity. ..
- Manubay J, Muchow C, Sullivan M. Prescription drug abuse: epidemiology, regulatory issues, chronic pain management with narcotic analgesics. Prim Care. 2011;38:71-90 pubmed publisher..By using universal precautions, and being aware of aberrant behaviors, physicians may feel more confident in identifying and addressing problematic behaviors. ..
- Liu S, Bae J, Bieltz M, Ma Y, Memtsoudis S. Association of perioperative use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with postoperative myocardial infarction after total joint replacement. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012;37:45-50 pubmed publisher..Brief perioperative use of NSAIDs was not associated with increased risk for myocardial infarction after total hip and knee replacement; it may provide benefit in length of stay. ..
- Hagiwara M, Shaikh J, Fang Y, Fatterpekar G, Roehm P. Prevalence of radiographic semicircular canal dehiscence in very young children: an evaluation using high-resolution computed tomography of the temporal bones. Pediatr Radiol. 2012;42:1456-64 pubmed publisher..Previous studies suggest that semicircular canal dehiscences (SCDs) have a developmental origin...
- Dikken J, Baser R, Gonen M, Kattan M, Shah M, Verheij M, et al. Conditional probability of survival nomogram for 1-, 2-, and 3-year survivors after an R0 resection for gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:1623-30 pubmed publisher..A robust gastric cancer nomogram was developed to predict survival for patients alive at time points after surgery. Introduction of additional variables available after 1 year of follow-up did not further improve this nomogram. ..
- Silva B, WALKER M, Abraham A, Boutroy S, Zhang C, McMahon D, et al. Trabecular bone score is associated with volumetric bone density and microarchitecture as assessed by central QCT and HRpQCT in Chinese American and white women. J Clin Densitom. 2013;16:554-61 pubmed publisher..Significant associations between TBS and measures of HRpQCT and QCT in WH and CH pre- and postmenopausal women demonstrated here suggest that TBS may be a useful adjunct to aBMD for assessing bone quality. ..
- Levin M, McCormick P, Lin H, Hosseinian L, Fischer G. Low intraoperative tidal volume ventilation with minimal PEEP is associated with increased mortality. Br J Anaesth. 2014;113:97-108 pubmed publisher..006, P=0.31) and a weak-to-moderate correlation between TV kg(-1) IBW and PIP (r=0.32 P<0.0001). Use of low intraoperative TV with minimal PEEP is associated with an increased risk of 30-day mortality. ..
- Kneuertz P, Kamel M, Stiles B, Lee B, Rahouma M, Nasar A, et al. Robotic Thymectomy Is Feasible for Large Thymomas: A Propensity-Matched Comparison. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1673-1678 pubmed publisher..45). No difference was seen in R0 resection rates (90% versus 85%, p = 0.62). RAT can be performed safely and effectively in a radical fashion for large thymomas. Future studies are necessary to determine long-term oncologic outcomes. ..
- Gotto A. Establishing the benefit of statins in low-to-moderate--risk primary prevention: the Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study (AFCAPS/TexCAPS). Atheroscler Suppl. 2007;8:3-8 pubmed..On treatment, ApoB and ApoA1 were the best predictors. Based on AFCAPS/TexCAPS, a simple heuristic could be that individuals with "age plus one other risk factor" may benefit from statin therapy in primary prevention. ..
- Hagan H, Des Jarlais D, Stern R, Lelutiu Weinberger C, Scheinmann R, Strauss S, et al. HCV synthesis project: preliminary analyses of HCV prevalence in relation to age and duration of injection. Int J Drug Policy. 2007;18:341-51 pubmed..This will permit synthesis of a greater number of studies and may lead to the identification of factors that impede HCV transmission. ..
- Bhatt S, Jafri S, Wasserman N, Dogra V. Imaging of non-neoplastic intratesticular masses. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2011;17:52-63 pubmed publisher..Gray-scale and color-flow Doppler sonography facilitate the visualization of the benign characteristics of the lesions. Magnetic resonance imaging can also help as a problem-solving modality in some cases...
- Basch C. Inattention and hyperactivity and the achievement gap among urban minority youth. J Sch Health. 2011;81:641-9 pubmed publisher..This prevalent and complex syndrome has very powerful effects on academic achievement and educational attainment, and should be a high priority in efforts to help close the achievement gap. ..
- Schwanke T, Oomen K, April M, Ward R, Modi V. Floor of mouth masses in children: proposal of a new algorithm. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;77:1489-94 pubmed publisher..This case series summarizes a single institution's experience with pediatric floor of mouth masses...
- Kumar J, McDermott K, Abraham A, Friedman L, Johnson V, Kaskel F, et al. Prevalence and correlates of 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency in the Chronic Kidney Disease in Children (CKiD) cohort. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:121-9 pubmed publisher..25OHD deficiency is a risk factor for secondary hyperparathyroidism and decreased serum 1,25(OH)2D in children with CKD. ..
- Parada H, Wolff M, Engel L, Eng S, Khankari N, Neugut A, et al. Polychlorinated biphenyls and their association with survival following breast cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2016;56:21-30 pubmed publisher..43-0.92, respectively). In this first US study of PCBs and breast cancer survival, PCBs were associated with mortality in biologically plausible directions. The investigation of other, structurally similar, chemicals may be warranted. ..
- Tripp J, Kopf A, Marghoob A, Bart R. Management of dysplastic nevi: a survey of fellows of the American Academy of Dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;46:674-82 pubmed..Opinions concerning the significance of dysplastic nevi and their management vary among dermatologists...
- Gehi A, Duong T, Metz L, Gomes J, Mehta D. Risk stratification of individuals with the Brugada electrocardiogram: a meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006;17:577-83 pubmed..We performed a meta-analysis of prognostic studies of patients with a Brugada ECG to assess predictors of events...
- Witkin S, Linhares I, Giraldo P, Ledger W. An altered immunity hypothesis for the development of symptomatic bacterial vaginosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:554-7 pubmed..A deficit in vaginal mannose-binding lectin concentrations would further decrease the capacity for microbial killing and increase the likelihood of bacterial migration from the vagina to the upper genital tract. ..
- Rutigliano D, Georges A, Wolden S, Kayton M, Meyers P, La Quaglia M. Ureteral reconstruction for retroperitoneal tumors in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:355-8 pubmed..Ureteral stricture can also be a result of intense therapy. We present our experience with urinary reconstruction in this situation...
- Rabadi M, Rabadi F, Peterson M. An analysis of falls occurring in patients with stroke on an acute rehabilitation unit. Rehabil Nurs. 2008;33:104-9 pubmed..Current preventive strategies decrease the number of falls and the severity of fall-related injuries. Patients who do fall are cognitively impaired on admission and have lower ambulation speed. ..