Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on retina in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications133 found, 100 shown here
- Cristofanilli M, Mizuno F, Akopian A. Disruption of actin cytoskeleton causes internalization of Ca(v)1.3 (alpha 1D) L-type calcium channels in salamander retinal neurons. Mol Vis. 2007;13:1496-507 pubmed..3 L-type Ca2+ channels in salamander retinal neurons. Ca2+-dependent actin depolymerization may serve as a negative feedback mechanism to reduce excessive Ca2+ influx and thereby protect neurons against glutamate-induced excitotoxicity. ..
- Bulson R, Ciuffreda K, Hung G. The effect of retinal defocus on golf putting. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2008;28:334-44 pubmed publisher..For a fixed putting distance, factors other than quality of the retinal image, such as blur adaptation and motor learning, appeared to be sufficient to maintain a high level of motor performance. ..
- Vasiliauskas D, Mazzoni E, Sprecher S, Brodetskiy K, Johnston R, Lidder P, et al. Feedback from rhodopsin controls rhodopsin exclusion in Drosophila photoreceptors. Nature. 2011;479:108-12 pubmed publisher..Our observations reveal a thus far unappreciated spectral plasticity of R8 photoreceptors, and identify rhodopsin feedback as an exclusion mechanism. ..
- Yamamoto K, Yoon K, Ueda K, Hashimoto M, Sparrow J. A novel bisretinoid of retina is an adduct on glycerophosphoethanolamine. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:9084-90 pubmed publisher..The formation of bisretinoid is accentuated in some forms of retinal degeneration. The detection of a novel bisretinoid fluorophore that is a conjugate of all-trans-retinal and glycerophosphoethanolamine is reported...
- Springer A, Troilo D, Possin D, Hendrickson A. Foveal cone density shows a rapid postnatal maturation in the marmoset monkey. Vis Neurosci. 2011;28:473-84 pubmed publisher..Marmosets reach adult peak cone density by 3-6 months postnatal, while macaques and humans take much longer. Early weaning and an arboreal environment may require rapid postnatal maturation of the marmoset fovea. ..
- Kupersmith M, Garvin M, Wang J, Durbin M, Kardon R. Retinal ganglion cell layer thinning within one month of presentation for optic neuritis. Mult Scler. 2016;22:641-8 pubmed publisher..48, P=0.006) and perimetric mean deviation (r=0.52, P=0.003). GGL+IPL is an early biomarker of structural injury in optic neuritis as thinning develops within 1-2 months of onset, prior to pRNFL thinning. ..
- Forrest D, Reh T, Rusch A. Neurodevelopmental control by thyroid hormone receptors. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2002;12:49-56 pubmed..Some of the most sensitive processes controlled by these pathways are in the auditory and visual sensory systems. ..
- Burke T, Fishman G, Zernant J, Schubert C, Tsang S, Smith R, et al. Retinal phenotypes in patients homozygous for the G1961E mutation in the ABCA4 gene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4458-67 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the pathogenicity of the G1961E mutation in the ABCA4 gene, and present the range of retinal phenotypes associated with this mutation in homozygosity in a patient cohort with ABCA4-associated phenotypes...
- Yoon K, Yamamoto K, Ueda K, Zhou J, Sparrow J. A novel source of methylglyoxal and glyoxal in retina: implications for age-related macular degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41309 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that photodegraded RPE bisretinoid is likely to be a previously unknown source of MG and GO in the eye...
- Thanawala S, Rister J, Goldberg G, Zuskov A, Olesnicky E, Flowers J, et al. Regional modulation of a stochastically expressed factor determines photoreceptor subtypes in the Drosophila retina. Dev Cell. 2013;25:93-105 pubmed publisher..Our findings show how stochastic and regional inputs are integrated to control photoreceptor subtype specification in the Drosophila retina...
- Schmidt Erfurth U, Kaiser P, Korobelnik J, Brown D, Chong V, Nguyen Q, et al. Intravitreal aflibercept injection for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: ninety-six-week results of the VIEW studies. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:193-201 pubmed publisher..Small losses at 96 weeks in the visual and anatomic gains seen at 52 weeks in all arms were in the range of losses commonly observed with variable dosing. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. The role of the bHLH protein hairy in morphogenetic furrow progression in the developing Drosophila eye. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47503 pubmed publisher..These findings question whether hairy is an important regulator of the progression of retinal differentiation in Drosophila, alone or redundantly with extramacrochaete. ..
- Greenberg J, Duncker T, Woods R, Smith R, Sparrow J, Delori F. Quantitative fundus autofluorescence in healthy eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:5684-93 pubmed publisher..For two operators, between-session repeatability was ± 9% and ± 12%. Agreement between the operators was ± 13%. Normative qAF data are a reference tool essential to the interpretation of qAF measurements in ocular disease. ..
- Tahayato A, Sonneville R, Pichaud F, Wernet M, Papatsenko D, Beaufils P, et al. Otd/Crx, a dual regulator for the specification of ommatidia subtypes in the Drosophila retina. Dev Cell. 2003;5:391-402 pubmed..Therefore, Otd is a key player in the terminal differentiation of subtypes of photoreceptors by regulating rhodopsin expression, a function reminiscent of the role of one of its mammalian homologs, Crx, in eye development...
- Curtiss J, Burnett M, Mlodzik M. distal antenna and distal antenna-related function in the retinal determination network during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;306:685-702 pubmed..These data demonstrate a role for Dan and Danr in eye development and provide a link between eye specification and differentiation. ..
- Javitt N. Oxysterols: functional significance in fetal development and the maintenance of normal retinal function. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2007;18:283-8 pubmed..This review shifts the focus of attention from studies of their ligand-binding activity to studies of animal models that indicate a number of important biologic effects during fetal development and during the aging process. ..
- Hsiao H, Jukam D, Johnston R, Desplan C. The neuronal transcription factor erect wing regulates specification and maintenance of Drosophila R8 photoreceptor subtypes. Dev Biol. 2013;381:482-90 pubmed publisher..Neural-enriched factors, such as Ewg, may generally contribute to the contextual re-use of signaling pathways in post-mitotic neurons. ..
- Uthaiah R, Hudspeth A. Molecular anatomy of the hair cell's ribbon synapse. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12387-99 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the ribbon synapses of hair cells display modifications to the presynaptic machinery that are associated with the high-fidelity transmission of acoustic signals to the brain...
- Erskine L, Williams S, Brose K, Kidd T, Rachel R, Goodman C, et al. Retinal ganglion cell axon guidance in the mouse optic chiasm: expression and function of robos and slits. J Neurosci. 2000;20:4975-82 pubmed
- Witkovsky P. Dopamine and retinal function. Doc Ophthalmol. 2004;108:17-40 pubmed..Some diseases affecting photoreceptor function also diminish day/night differences in dopamine release and turnover. A reduction in retinal dopamine, as occurs in Parkinsonian patients, results in reduced visual contrast sensitivity. ..
- Wernet M, Desplan C. Building a retinal mosaic: cell-fate decision in the fly eye. Trends Cell Biol. 2004;14:576-84 pubmed..Notably, several of the factors used in generating the retinal mosaic of the fruitfly have corresponding functions in vertebrates that are likely to have similar roles. ..
- Sood P, Johnston R, Kussell E. Stochastic de-repression of Rhodopsins in single photoreceptors of the fly retina. PLoS Comput Biol. 2012;8:e1002357 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that even in the absence of Dve, the Rhodopsin regulatory network can maintain highly stable states. We propose that the role of Dve in outer PRs is to buffer against rare fluctuations in this network. ..
- Rachel R, Murdoch J, Beermann F, Copp A, Mason C. Retinal axon misrouting at the optic chiasm in mice with neural tube closure defects. Genesis. 2000;27:32-47 pubmed..This study therefore reveals an unexpected connection between closure of the neural tube at the dorsal midline and development of ventral axon tracts. genesis 27:32-47, 2000. ..
- Huang L, Max M, Margolskee R, Su H, Masland R, Euler T. G protein subunit G gamma 13 is coexpressed with G alpha o, G beta 3, and G beta 4 in retinal ON bipolar cells. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:1-10 pubmed..Gbeta1, 2, and 5 are expressed in partially overlapping subpopulations of cone bipolar cells. Ggamma13 and Gbeta3 and/or Gbeta4, thus, seem selectively to participate in signal transduction by ON bipolar cells. ..
- Herrera E, Marcus R, Li S, Williams S, Erskine L, Lai E, et al. Foxd1 is required for proper formation of the optic chiasm. Development. 2004;131:5727-39 pubmed
- Nikolopoulos S, Blaikie P, Yoshioka T, Guo W, Giancotti F. Integrin beta4 signaling promotes tumor angiogenesis. Cancer Cell. 2004;6:471-83 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence that alpha6beta4 signaling promotes the onset of the invasive phase of pathological angiogenesis and hence identify a novel target for antiangiogenic therapy. ..
- Srinivas M, Ng L, Liu H, Jia L, Forrest D. Activation of the blue opsin gene in cone photoreceptor development by retinoid-related orphan receptor beta. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1728-41 pubmed..The results identify Opn1sw as a target gene for RORbeta and suggest a key role for RORbeta in regulating opsin expression in the color visual system. ..
- Brodie S, Pierre Gobin Y, Dunkel I, Kim J, Abramson D. Persistence of retinal function after selective ophthalmic artery chemotherapy infusion for retinoblastoma. Doc Ophthalmol. 2009;119:13-22 pubmed publisher..To assess potential retinal viability by electroretinography following selective ophthalmic artery chemotherapy infusion for retinoblastoma...
- Lima V, Rosen R, Maia M, Prata T, Dorairaj S, Farah M, et al. Macular pigment optical density measured by dual-wavelength autofluorescence imaging in diabetic and nondiabetic patients: a comparative study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:5840-5 pubmed publisher..Type 2 diabetic patients, with or without retinopathy, had reduced MPOD when compared with that in nondiabetic patients. In addition, a significant inverse correlation between MPOD and HbA1C levels was observed. ..
- Chess J, Marcus D. Zoster-related bilateral acute retinal necrosis syndrome as presenting sign in AIDS. Ann Ophthalmol. 1988;20:431-5, 438 pubmed..These cases further illustrate the central role of the herpes-virus family in the etiology of ARN and alert the clinician to a new presenting sign for AIDS...
- Intres R, Goldflam S, Cook J, Crabb J. Molecular cloning and structural analysis of the human gene encoding cellular retinaldehyde-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:25411-8 pubmed..The human CRALBP genomic clones and structure provide valuable tools for studying the physiological role of the protein in vision and visual disorders. ..
- Nunes I, Higgins R, Zanetta L, Shamamian P, Goff S. c-abl is required for the development of hyperoxia-induced retinopathy. J Exp Med. 2001;193:1383-91 pubmed..These data suggest that c-abl is required for the hyperoxia-induced retinal neovascularization and hyperoxia-induced decrease in VEGF mRNA levels. ..
- Rangarajan R, Courvoisier H, Gaul U. Dpp and Hedgehog mediate neuron-glia interactions in Drosophila eye development by promoting the proliferation and motility of subretinal glia. Mech Dev. 2001;108:93-103 pubmed..Our study suggests a novel function for Hh in regulating migratory behavior and provides further evidence for a complex mutual dependence between glial and neuronal cells during development. ..
- Maurel Zaffran C, Suzuki T, Gahmon G, Treisman J, Dickson B. Cell-autonomous and -nonautonomous functions of LAR in R7 photoreceptor axon targeting. Neuron. 2001;32:225-35 pubmed..These data suggest that LAR can act both as a receptor in R7, and as a ligand provided by R8. Genetic interactions implicate both Enabled and Trio in LAR signal transduction. ..
- Witkovsky P, Shen C, McRory J. Differential distribution of voltage-gated calcium channels in dopaminergic neurons of the rat retina. J Comp Neurol. 2006;497:384-96 pubmed..Our findings are consistent with the available pharmacological data indicating that alpha1A and alpha1B calcium channels control the major fraction of dopamine release in the rat retina. ..
- Tsui I, Casper D, Chou C, Tsang S. Electronegative electroretinogram associated with topiramate toxicity and vitelliform maculopathy. Doc Ophthalmol. 2008;116:57-60 pubmed..Electronegative ERG's have been associated with other drugs in humans as well as topiramate use in rabbits. However, this would be the first suggestion of causality in humans. ..
- Wu L, Nagasaki T, Sparrow J. Photoreceptor cell degeneration in Abcr (-/-) mice. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;664:533-9 pubmed publisher..The measurement of ONL thickness is an established approach to assessing photoreceptor cell integrity and can be used in preclinical studies using Abcr (-/-) mice...
- Dillon J, Zheng L, Merriam J, Gaillard E. Transmission of light to the aging human retina: possible implications for age related macular degeneration. Exp Eye Res. 2004;79:753-9 pubmed..It was determined that the implantation of a standard IOL after cataract surgery increased the amount of light absorbed by A2-E by approximately a factor of five. ..
- Glaser S, Deutsch D, Studholme K, Zimov S, Yazulla S. Endocannabinoids in the intact retina: 3 H-anandamide uptake, fatty acid amide hydrolase immunoreactivity and hydrolysis of anandamide. Vis Neurosci. 2005;22:693-705 pubmed..We conclude that endocannabinoids are present in the goldfish retina and underlay the electrophysiological effects of cannabinoid ligands previously shown on goldfish cones and bipolar cells. ..
- Chen R, Greenberg J, Lazow M, Ramachandran R, Lima L, Hwang J, et al. Autofluorescence imaging and spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in incomplete congenital stationary night blindness and comparison with retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153:143-54.e2 pubmed publisher..Therefore, as a supplement to ERG and genetic testing, we advocate the use of FAF and SD OCT in the examination of patients with CSNB2 and RP. ..
- Duvoisin R, Zhang C, Hamassaki Britto D, Britto L. Changes in expression of glutamate receptor subunits following photoreceptor degeneration in the rd mouse retina. Neurosci Lett. 1995;183:83-6 pubmed..Following retinal degeneration, the expression of KA-1 was reduced, that of the GluR7 subunit was greatly increased, and that of the other seven subunits were not significantly affected. ..
- Shashidharan P, Michaelidis T, Robakis N, Kresovali A, Papamatheakis J, Plaitakis A. Novel human glutamate dehydrogenase expressed in neural and testicular tissues and encoded by an X-linked intronless gene. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:16971-6 pubmed..The novel gene will be useful for understanding the biology of human neural and testicular tissues and in the study of X-linked neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Du J, Rountree A, Cleghorn W, Contreras L, Lindsay K, Sadilek M, et al. Phototransduction Influences Metabolic Flux and Nucleotide Metabolism in Mouse Retina. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:4698-710 pubmed publisher..In addition, a comprehensive analysis of the retinal metabolome showed that phototransduction also influences steady-state concentrations of 5'-GMP, ribose-5-phosphate, ketone bodies, and purines. ..
- Coleman D, Silverman R, Chabi A, Rondeau M, Shung K, Cannata J, et al. High-resolution ultrasonic imaging of the posterior segment. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1344-51 pubmed..Although not providing the resolution of OCT, ultrasound can be used in the presence of optical opacities and allows evaluation of deeper tissue structures. ..
- Petit Jacques J, Volgyi B, Rudy B, Bloomfield S. Spontaneous oscillatory activity of starburst amacrine cells in the mouse retina. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:1770-80 pubmed..Finally, we found that some ganglion cells and other types of amacrine cell also displayed rhythmic activity, suggesting that oscillatory behavior is expressed by a number of inner retinal neurons. ..
- Nandrot E, Finnemann S. Altered rhythm of photoreceptor outer segment phagocytosis in beta5 integrin knockout mice. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;572:119-23 pubmed
- Jin J, Wang Y, Lashgari R, Swadlow H, Alonso J. Faster thalamocortical processing for dark than light visual targets. J Neurosci. 2011;31:17471-9 pubmed publisher..Given the stimulus preferences from OFF and ON channels, our results indicate that darks are processed faster than lights in the thalamocortical pathway. ..
- Vaithianathan T, Zanazzi G, Henry D, Akmentin W, Matthews G. Stabilization of spontaneous neurotransmitter release at ribbon synapses by ribbon-specific subtypes of complexin. J Neurosci. 2013;33:8216-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that visual system-specific complexins are required for proper illumination-dependent modulation of the rate of neurotransmitter release at visual system ribbon synapses. ..
- Petzold A, Balcer L, Calabresi P, Costello F, Frohman T, Frohman E, et al. Retinal layer segmentation in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:797-812 pubmed publisher..Inflammatory disease activity might be captured by the INL. Because of the consistency, robustness, and large effect size, we recommend inclusion of the peripapillary RNFL and macular GCIPL for diagnosis, monitoring, and research. None. ..
- Townes Anderson E, Vogt B. Distribution of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors on processes of isolated retinal cells. J Comp Neurol. 1989;290:369-83 pubmed
- Gong Q, Rangarajan R, Seeger M, Gaul U. The netrin receptor frazzled is required in the target for establishment of retinal projections in the Drosophila visual system. Development. 1999;126:1451-6 pubmed..We favor the possibility that Frazzled in the target interacts with a component on the surface of retinal fibers, possibly another Netrin receptor. ..
- Chung J, Spaide R. Intraretinal silicone oil vacuoles after macular hole surgery with internal limiting membrane peeling. Am J Ophthalmol. 2003;136:766-7 pubmed..The use of silicone oil in macular hole surgery with ILM peeling may complicate the postoperative outcome. ..
- Spaide R, Fisher Y. Removal of adherent cortical vitreous plaques without removing the internal limiting membrane in the repair of macular detachments in highly myopic eyes. Retina. 2005;25:290-5 pubmed..Removal of the vitreous, without removing the internal limiting membrane, can reattach the retina and lead to anatomic and visual acuity improvements. ..
- Palhan V, Chen S, Peng G, Tjernberg A, Gamper A, Fan Y, et al. Polyglutamine-expanded ataxin-7 inhibits STAGA histone acetyltransferase activity to produce retinal degeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8472-7 pubmed
- Marcus R, Blazeski R, Godement P, Mason C. Retinal axon divergence in the optic chiasm: uncrossed axons diverge from crossed axons within a midline glial specialization. J Neurosci. 1995;15:3716-29 pubmed..These results demonstrate that retinal axons diverge within a cellular specialization centered around the midline of the developing optic chiasm, consistent with the hypothesis that cues for divergence are located in this zone. ..
- Chen Y, Wyatt H, Swanson W, Dul M. Rapid pupil-based assessment of glaucomatous damage. Optom Vis Sci. 2008;85:471-81 pubmed publisher..83. Pupillary evaluation of retinal asymmetry provides a rapid method for detecting and classifying visual field defects. In this patient population, classification agreed with perimetry in 70% of eyes. ..
- Mendes C, Levet C, Chatelain G, Dourlen P, Fouillet A, Dichtel Danjoy M, et al. ER stress protects from retinal degeneration. EMBO J. 2009;28:1296-307 pubmed publisher..We propose that an immediate consequence of the UPR not only limits the accumulation of misfolded proteins but also protects tissues from harmful exogenous stresses. ..
- Hazelett D, Bourouis M, Walldorf U, Treisman J. decapentaplegic and wingless are regulated by eyes absent and eyegone and interact to direct the pattern of retinal differentiation in the eye disc. Development. 1998;125:3741-51 pubmed..These results provide a link between the early specification and later differentiation of the eye disc. ..
- Liedtke W, Leman E, Fyffe R, Raine C, Schubart U. Stathmin-deficient mice develop an age-dependent axonopathy of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:469-80 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest that stathmin plays an essential role in the maintenance of axonal integrity. ..
- Muscat L, Huberman A, Jordan C, Morin L. Crossed and uncrossed retinal projections to the hamster circadian system. J Comp Neurol. 2003;466:513-24 pubmed..This issue is discussed in the context of the melanopsin-containing retinal ganglion cell projections to several nuclei in the circadian visual system. ..
- Swanson W, Dul M, Fischer S. Quantifying effects of retinal illuminance on frequency doubling perimetry. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:235-40 pubmed..Application of a quantitative adaptation model provided guidelines for estimating effects of pupil diameter and lens density on FDT perimetry. ..
- Foa L, Jensen K, Rajan I, Bronson K, Gasperini R, Worley P, et al. Homer expression in the Xenopus tadpole nervous system. J Comp Neurol. 2005;487:42-53 pubmed publisher..The high level of conservation of the xhomer1 gene and the protein expression in the developing nervous system suggest that Homer1 expression may be important for normal neuronal circuit development...
- Chan R, Seiff B, Lincoff H, Coleman D. Rapid recovery of sympathetic ophthalmia with treatment augmented by intravitreal steroids. Retina. 2006;26:243-7 pubmed
- Witkovsky P, Stell W, Ishida A. Circuits and properties of signal transmission in the retina. J Neurophysiol. 2006;96:509-11 pubmed..J. Neurophysiol 36: 619-633, 1973. Naka K-I, Marmarelis PZ, and Chan RY. Morphological and functional identifications of catfish retinal neurons. III. Functional identification. J. Neurophysiol 38: 92-131, 1975...
- Lim H, Tomlinson A. Organization of the peripheral fly eye: the roles of Snail family transcription factors in peripheral retinal apoptosis. Development. 2006;133:3529-37 pubmed..Furthermore, we describe a later requirement for Snail family proteins in the 2 degrees and 3 degrees pigment cells throughout the main body of the eye. ..
- Vidal L, Morin L. Absence of normal photic integration in the circadian visual system: response to millisecond light flashes. J Neurosci. 2007;27:3375-82 pubmed..This may involve a second input pathway different from that mediating the effects of longer, dimmer photic stimuli. ..
- Bargmann C, Marder E. From the connectome to brain function. Nat Methods. 2013;10:483-90 pubmed..Comparisons across these systems suggest approaches to study the functional organization of large circuits based on existing knowledge of small circuits. ..
- Tsang S, Burns M, Calvert P, Gouras P, Baylor D, Goff S, et al. Role for the target enzyme in deactivation of photoreceptor G protein in vivo. Science. 1998;282:117-21 pubmed..These results indicate that the normal deactivation of transducin in vivo requires the G protein to interact with its target enzyme. ..
- Appel G, Cook H, Hageman G, Jennette J, Kashgarian M, Kirschfink M, et al. Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis type II (dense deposit disease): an update. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:1392-403 pubmed..The development of molecular diagnostic tools and new therapies directed at controlling the AP of the complement cascade either locally in the kidney or at the systemic level may lead to effective treatments for MPGN II...
- Petros T, Williams S, Mason C. Temporal regulation of EphA4 in astroglia during murine retinal and optic nerve development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;32:49-66 pubmed
- Schiff W, Barile G, Hwang J, Tseng J, Cekic O, Del Priore L, et al. Diabetic vitrectomy: influence of lens status upon anatomic and visual outcomes. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:544-50 pubmed..To determine the effect of lens status upon the anatomic and visual results in primary diabetic vitrectomy...
- Canovas R, Lima V, Garcia P, Morini C, Prata T, Rosen R. Comparison between macular pigment optical density measurements using two-wavelength autofluorescence and heterochromatic flicker photometry techniques. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3152-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HRA can be reliably used in patients unable to perform HPF, which is important for wider clinical application of MP testing. ..
- Whitcomb T, Sakurai K, Brown B, Young J, Sheflin L, Dlugos C, et al. Effect of g protein-coupled receptor kinase 1 (Grk1) overexpression on rod photoreceptor cell viability. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1728-37 pubmed publisher..The goal of this study was to determine whether excess Grk1 activity is protective against photoreceptor cell death...
- Babadi B, Casti A, Xiao Y, Kaplan E, Paninski L. A generalized linear model of the impact of direct and indirect inputs to the lateral geniculate nucleus. J Vis. 2010;10:22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the indirect source of response modulation of the LGN relay neurons arises from inhibitory sources, compatible with thalamic interneurons or TRN. ..
- Park S, Hong I, Tsang S, Lee W, Horowitz J, Yzer S, et al. Disruption of the human cone photoreceptor mosaic from a defect in NR2E3 transcription factor function in young adults. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;251:2299-309 pubmed publisher..AO-SLO can be an efficient diagnostic tool in clinics for examining cellular-level pathologies in various retinal dystrophies. ..
- Wehrli M, Tomlinson A. Independent regulation of anterior/posterior and equatorial/polar polarity in the Drosophila eye; evidence for the involvement of Wnt signaling in the equatorial/polar axis. Development. 1998;125:1421-32 pubmed..Further, we show that the polarizing information acting in this equatorial/polar axis (Eq/Pl) is established in at least two steps - the activity of one signaling molecule functions to establish the graded activity of a second signal. ..
- Tomlinson A. Patterning the peripheral retina of the fly: decoding a gradient. Dev Cell. 2003;5:799-809 pubmed..Higher Wg levels induce PR, intermediate levels induce DR, and lower levels induce baldness. The predisposition of dorsal cells to generate DR ommatidia appears to be endowed by the exclusive dorsal expression of Iroquois genes. ..
- Yazulla S, Studholme K. Vanilloid receptor like 1 (VRL1) immunoreactivity in mammalian retina: colocalization with somatostatin and purinergic P2X1 receptors. J Comp Neurol. 2004;474:407-18 pubmed
- Ozaita A, Petit Jacques J, Volgyi B, Ho C, Joho R, Bloomfield S, et al. A unique role for Kv3 voltage-gated potassium channels in starburst amacrine cell signaling in mouse retina. J Neurosci. 2004;24:7335-43 pubmed..We hypothesize that this Kv3 channel gradient contributes to the preference for centrifugal signal flow in dendrites underlying direction-selective GABA release from starburst amacrine cells ..
- Alonso J, Yeh C, Weng C, Stoelzel C. Retinogeniculate connections: A balancing act between connection specificity and receptive field diversity. Prog Brain Res. 2006;154:3-13 pubmed
- Westlund B, Cai B, Zhou J, Sparrow J. Involvement of c-Abl, p53 and the MAP kinase JNK in the cell death program initiated in A2E-laden ARPE-19 cells by exposure to blue light. Apoptosis. 2009;14:31-41 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that c-Abl and p53 are important for execution of the cell death program initiated in A2E-laden RPE cells exposed to blue light, while JNK might play an anti-apoptotic role. ..
- Yeh C, Stoelzel C, Weng C, Alonso J. Functional consequences of neuronal divergence within the retinogeniculate pathway. J Neurophysiol. 2009;101:2166-85 pubmed publisher..These results are used to provide new estimates of retinogeniculate divergence for different cell classes. ..
- Alikhani M, Roy S, Graves D. FOXO1 plays an essential role in apoptosis of retinal pericytes. Mol Vis. 2010;16:408-15 pubmed..The results demonstrate pathways through which two different mediators, TNF-alpha and an advanced glycation endproduct, can induce pericyte apoptosis through activation of the transcription factor FOXO1. ..
- Wernet M, Desplan C. Homothorax and Extradenticle alter the transcription factor network in Drosophila ommatidia at the dorsal rim of the retina. Development. 2014;141:918-28 pubmed publisher..Therefore, locally restricted recruitment of the DRA-specific factor Hth alters the transcriptional network that regulates Rhodopsin expression across ommatidia. ..
- Witkovsky P, Veisenberger E, LeSauter J, Yan L, Johnson M, Zhang D, et al. Cellular location and circadian rhythm of expression of the biological clock gene Period 1 in the mouse retina. J Neurosci. 2003;23:7670-6 pubmed..Our results are the first to demonstrate a circadian rhythm of a biological clock component in identified neurons of a mammalian retina. ..