Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on osteocalcin in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
- Hosogane N, Huang Z, Rawlins B, Liu X, Boachie Adjei O, Boskey A, et al. Stromal derived factor-1 regulates bone morphogenetic protein 2-induced osteogenic differentiation of primary mesenchymal stem cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2010;42:1132-41 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insights into molecular mechanisms underlying MSC osteogenesis, and will contribute to the development of MSC therapies for enhancing bone formation and regeneration in broad orthopaedic situations. ..
- Karsenty G, Olson E. Bone and Muscle Endocrine Functions: Unexpected Paradigms of Inter-organ Communication. Cell. 2016;164:1248-1256 pubmed publisher..This Review highlights this point by showing how two tissues usually not seen as endocrine ones, bone and striated muscles, influence several physiological processes in a significant manner. ..
- Ferron M, Wei J, Yoshizawa T, Del Fattore A, Depinho R, Teti A, et al. Insulin signaling in osteoblasts integrates bone remodeling and energy metabolism. Cell. 2010;142:296-308 pubmed publisher..Hence, in a feed-forward loop, insulin signals in osteoblasts activate a hormone, osteocalcin, that promotes glucose metabolism. ..
- ..This review will present the mechanism of action of osteocalcin and will discuss the implications of this novel regulation...
- Kajimura D, Lee H, Riley K, Arteaga Solis E, Ferron M, Zhou B, et al. Adiponectin regulates bone mass via opposite central and peripheral mechanisms through FoxO1. Cell Metab. 2013;17:901-15 pubmed publisher..It also proposes that adiponectin regulation of bone mass occurs through a PI3-kinase-FoxO1 pathway. ..
- He W, Mazumder A, Wilder T, Cronstein B. Adenosine regulates bone metabolism via A1, A2A, and A2B receptors in bone marrow cells from normal humans and patients with multiple myeloma. FASEB J. 2013;27:3446-54 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that adenosine receptors may be useful targets for the treatment of MM-induced bone disease. ..
- Karsenty G, Oury F. Biology without walls: the novel endocrinology of bone. Annu Rev Physiol. 2012;74:87-105 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the body of work discussed below illustrates a new and unconventional role for bone in mammalian physiology. ..
- Lehrer S, Montazem A, Ramanathan L, Pessin Minsley M, Pfail J, Stock R, et al. Normal serum bone markers in bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaws. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:389-91 pubmed publisher..This anatomic concentration of bisphosphonates might cause bisphosphonate-osteonecrosis to be manifested exclusively in the jaws and is consistent with our finding of normal serum bone markers in ONJ patients...
- Ferron M, Hinoi E, Karsenty G, Ducy P. Osteocalcin differentially regulates beta cell and adipocyte gene expression and affects the development of metabolic diseases in wild-type mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5266-70 pubmed publisher..These results establish in WT mice the importance of this novel molecular player in the regulation of glucose metabolism and fat mass and suggest that osteocalcin may be of value in the treatment of metabolic diseases. ..
- Matsuo N, Tanaka S, Gordon M, Koch M, Yoshioka H, Ramirez F. CREB-AP1 protein complexes regulate transcription of the collagen XXIV gene (Col24a1) in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5445-52 pubmed
- Liu C, Chang E, Yu J, Carlson C, Prazak L, Yu X, et al. The interferon-inducible p204 protein acts as a transcriptional coactivator of Cbfa1 and enhances osteoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2788-96 pubmed..p204, which is the first interferon-inducible protein found to associate with Cbfa1, functions as a novel regulator of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Khrimian L, Obri A, Ramos Brossier M, Rousseaud A, Moriceau S, Nicot A, et al. Gpr158 mediates osteocalcin's regulation of cognition. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2859-2873 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that exogenous OCN can improve hippocampal-dependent memory in mice and identify molecular tools to harness this pathway for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Oury F, Khrimian L, Denny C, Gardin A, Chamouni A, Goeden N, et al. Maternal and offspring pools of osteocalcin influence brain development and functions. Cell. 2013;155:228-41 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that the skeleton via osteocalcin influences cognition and contributes to the maternal influence on fetal brain development. ..
- Oury F, Ferron M, Huizhen W, Confavreux C, Xu L, LaCombe J, et al. Osteocalcin regulates murine and human fertility through a pancreas-bone-testis axis. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:2421-33 pubmed..This study uncovers the existence of a second endocrine axis that is necessary for optimal male fertility in the mouse and suggests that osteocalcin modulates reproductive function in humans...
- Matsumoto Y, La Rose J, Lim M, Adissu H, Law N, Mao X, et al. Ubiquitin ligase RNF146 coordinates bone dynamics and energy metabolism. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:2612-2625 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that RNF146 is required to coordinate ?-catenin signaling within the osteoblast lineage during embryonic and postnatal bone development. ..
- Shu A, Yin M, Stein E, Cremers S, Dworakowski E, Ives R, et al. Bone structure and turnover in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Osteoporos Int. 2012;23:635-41 pubmed publisher..Aside from a possible decrease in cortical bone area at a weight-bearing site, bone structure was not altered in T2DM. Lower bone turnover may be a skeletal parameter that is present in T2DM. ..
- Boskey A, Gadaleta S, Gundberg C, Doty S, Ducy P, Karsenty G. Fourier transform infrared microspectroscopic analysis of bones of osteocalcin-deficient mice provides insight into the function of osteocalcin. Bone. 1998;23:187-96 pubmed..These spatially resolved data provide evidence that osteocalcin is required to stimulate bone mineral maturation. ..
- Yoshizawa T, Hinoi E, Jung D, Kajimura D, Ferron M, Seo J, et al. The transcription factor ATF4 regulates glucose metabolism in mice through its expression in osteoblasts. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2807-17 pubmed publisher..These results provide a transcriptional basis to the observation that osteoblasts fulfill endocrine functions and identify ATF4 as a regulator of most functions of osteoblasts. ..
- Luan Y, Yu X, Yang N, Frenkel S, Chen L, Liu C. p204 protein overcomes the inhibition of core binding factor alpha-1-mediated osteogenic differentiation by Id helix-loop-helix proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2113-26 pubmed publisher..Together, Cbfa1, p204, and Id proteins form a regulatory circuit and act in concert to regulate osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Zhu W, Boachie Adjei O, Rawlins B, Frenkel B, Boskey A, Ivashkiv L, et al. A novel regulatory role for stromal-derived factor-1 signaling in bone morphogenic protein-2 osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal C2C12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18676-85 pubmed..Our data provide the first evidence for a co-requirement of the SDF-1/CXCR4 signaling axis in BMP2-induced osteogenic differentiation of C2C12 and ST2 cells and, thus, uncover a new potential target for modulation of osteogenesis. ..
- Li B, Boast S, de los Santos K, Schieren I, Quiroz M, Teitelbaum S, et al. Mice deficient in Abl are osteoporotic and have defects in osteoblast maturation. Nat Genet. 2000;24:304-8 pubmed..Osteoblasts from both stromal and calvarial explants showed delayed maturation in vitro as measured by expression of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), induction of mRNA encoding osteocalcin and mineral deposition. ..
- Zee T, Settembre C, Levine R, Karsenty G. T-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase regulates bone resorption and whole-body insulin sensitivity through its expression in osteoblasts. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1080-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, osteoblast-specific deletion of TC-PTP promotes insulin sensitivity in an osteocalcin-dependent manner. This study increases the number of genes involved in the bone regulation of glucose homeostasis. ..
- Manavalan J, Cremers S, Dempster D, Zhou H, Dworakowski E, Kode A, et al. Circulating osteogenic precursor cells in type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:3240-50 pubmed publisher..Histomorphometric indices of bone formation were decreased in T2D, as was molecular expression of osteoblastic activity. Stimulation of bone formation may have beneficial therapeutic skeletal consequences in T2D. ..
- Ducy P. The role of osteocalcin in the endocrine cross-talk between bone remodelling and energy metabolism. Diabetologia. 2011;54:1291-7 pubmed publisher..This review summarises the molecular and cellular bases of the present knowledge on osteocalcin biology and discusses the potential relevance of osteocalcin to human metabolism and pathology. ..
- Hinoi E, Gao N, Jung D, Yadav V, Yoshizawa T, Myers M, et al. The sympathetic tone mediates leptin's inhibition of insulin secretion by modulating osteocalcin bioactivity. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1235-42 pubmed publisher..By showing that leptin inhibits insulin secretion by decreasing osteocalcin bioactivity, this study illustrates the importance of the relationship existing between fat and skeleton for the regulation of glucose homeostasis. ..
- Malashkevich V, Almo S, DOWD T. X-ray crystal structure of bovine 3 Glu-osteocalcin. Biochemistry. 2013;52:8387-92 pubmed publisher..The structure suggests the GPRC6a receptor may respond to helical osteocalcin and will aid in providing molecular mechanistic insight into the role of 3 Glu-OCN in glucose homeostasis. ..
- Shimazu J, Wei J, Karsenty G. Smurf1 Inhibits Osteoblast Differentiation, Bone Formation, and Glucose Homeostasis through Serine 148. Cell Rep. 2016;15:27-35 pubmed publisher..These results identify Smurf1 as a determinant of osteoblast differentiation during the development of bone formation and glucose homeostasis post-natally and demonstrate the necessity of S148 for these functions. ..
- Karsenty G. The mutual dependence between bone and gonads. J Endocrinol. 2012;213:107-14 pubmed publisher..It also discusses the implication of this novel mode of regulation of testosterone synthesis observed in males but not in females. ..
- Nickolas T, Cremers S, Zhang A, Thomas V, Stein E, Cohen A, et al. Discriminants of prevalent fractures in chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:1560-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, these cross-sectional data suggest that measurement of bone turnover markers may increase the diagnostic accuracy of densitometry to identify patients with CKD at high risk for fracture. ..
- Matsuo N, Tanaka S, Yoshioka H, Koch M, Gordon M, Ramirez F. Collagen XXIV (Col24a1) gene expression is a specific marker of osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Connect Tissue Res. 2008;49:68-75 pubmed publisher..These findings lend further support to the hypothesis that collagen XXIV may be implicated in the formation of a mineralization-competent bone matrix. ..