Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on osteoblasts in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications114 found, 100 shown here
- Zanotti S, Yu J, Sanjay A, Schilling L, Schoenherr C, Economides A, et al. Sustained Notch2 signaling in osteoblasts, but not in osteoclasts, is linked to osteopenia in a mouse model of Hajdu-Cheney syndrome. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12232-12244 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, introduction of the HCS mutation in osteoblasts, but not in osteoclasts, causes osteopenia. ..
- Mosig R, Dowling O, Difeo A, Ramirez M, Parker I, Abe E, et al. Loss of MMP-2 disrupts skeletal and craniofacial development and results in decreased bone mineralization, joint erosion and defects in osteoblast and osteoclast growth. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:1113-23 pubmed..Thus, Mmp2-/- mice provide a valuable biological resource for studying the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying the human disease and defining the in vivo physiological role of MMP-2. ..
- Kode A, Mosialou I, Silva B, Joshi S, Ferron M, Rached M, et al. FoxO1 protein cooperates with ATF4 protein in osteoblasts to control glucose homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:8757-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together these observations demonstrate that FoxO1 and ATF4 cooperate in osteoblasts to regulate glucose homeostasis. ..
- Jiang J, Nicoll S, Lu H. Co-culture of osteoblasts and chondrocytes modulates cellular differentiation in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;338:762-70 pubmed..These results collectively suggest that interactions between osteoblasts and chondrocytes modulate cell phenotypes, and the importance of these interactions on osteochondral interface regeneration will be explored in future studies. ..
- Shi Y, Yadav V, Suda N, Liu X, Guo X, Myers M, et al. Dissociation of the neuronal regulation of bone mass and energy metabolism by leptin in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20529-33 pubmed publisher..This work establishes that in vivo leptin regulates bone mass accrual by acting through neuronal means and provides a direct demonstration that this function of leptin can occur independently of its regulation of energy metabolism. ..
- Zhang S, Cheng J, Qin Y. Mechanobiological modulation of cytoskeleton and calcium influx in osteoblastic cells by short-term focused acoustic radiation force. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38343 pubmed publisher..This experimental system could serve as basis for further exploration of the mechanosensing mechanism of osteoblasts triggered by ultrasound. ..
- Zee T, Boller S, Gyory I, Makinistoglu M, Tuckermann J, Grosschedl R, et al. The transcription factor early B-cell factor 1 regulates bone formation in an osteoblast-nonautonomous manner. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:711-6 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that the phenotype described in Ebf1(-/)(-) mice is not osteoblast-autonomous. ..
- Zaidi M, Sun L, Robinson L, Tourkova I, Liu L, Wang Y, et al. ACTH protects against glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis of bone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:8782-7 pubmed publisher..We suggest examining the efficacy of ACTH in preventing human osteonecrosis, a devastating complication of glucocorticoid therapy. ..
- Spalazzi J, Dagher E, Doty S, Guo X, Rodeo S, Lu H. In vivo evaluation of a tri-phasic composite scaffold for anterior cruciate ligament-to-bone integration. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:525-8 pubmed..The results of this study demonstrate the feasibility of multi-tissue regeneration on a single graft, as well as th- e potential of interface tissue engineering to enable the biological fixation of soft tissue grafts to bone. ..
- Mosig R, Martignetti J. Loss of MMP-2 in murine osteoblasts upregulates osteopontin and bone sialoprotein expression in a circuit regulating bone homeostasis. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:397-403 pubmed publisher..Identification of this newly defined circuitry provides insight into the potential molecular landscape underlying the MOA phenotype and highlights a pathway that might play a role in normal bone homeostasis. ..
- Nistala H, Lee Arteaga S, Carta L, Cook J, Smaldone S, Siciliano G, et al. Differential effects of alendronate and losartan therapy on osteopenia and aortic aneurysm in mice with severe Marfan syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:4790-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings shed new light on the pathogenesis of osteopenia in MFS, in addition to arguing for a multifaceted treatment strategy in this congenital disorder of the connective tissue...
- Biggs M, Dalby M. Focal adhesions in osteoneogenesis. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2010;224:1441-53 pubmed..The focus of this review is on recent studies and developments concerning focal adhesion formation in osteoneogenesis, with an emphasis on the influence of synthetic constructs on integrin-mediated cellular adhesion and function. ..
- Aggarwal P, Zavras A. Parathyroid hormone and its effects on dental tissues. Oral Dis. 2012;18:48-54 pubmed publisher..In particular, it shows how intermittent administration of PTH can play a significant role in periodontal repair and implant success via stimulation of bone mineral content especially in the pre-alveolar region. ..
- Tepper O, Callaghan M, Chang E, Galiano R, Bhatt K, Baharestani S, et al. Electromagnetic fields increase in vitro and in vivo angiogenesis through endothelial release of FGF-2. FASEB J. 2004;18:1231-3 pubmed..These findings suggest a potential role for PEMF in therapeutic angiogenesis. ..
- Shimizu E, Selvamurugan N, Westendorf J, Olson E, Partridge N. HDAC4 represses matrix metalloproteinase-13 transcription in osteoblastic cells, and parathyroid hormone controls this repression. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:9616-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, HDAC4 is a basal repressor of MMP-13 transcription, and PTH regulates HDAC4 to control MMP-13 promoter activity. These data identify a novel and discrete mechanism of regulating HDAC4 levels and, subsequently, gene expression. ..
- Lee D, Su J, Kim H, Chang B, Papatsenko D, Zhao R, et al. Modeling familial cancer with induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell. 2015;161:240-54 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings demonstrate the feasibility of studying inherited human cancer syndromes with iPSCs. ..
- Muluke M, Gold T, Kiefhaber K, Al Sahli A, Celenti R, Jiang H, et al. Diet-Induced Obesity and Its Differential Impact on Periodontal Bone Loss. J Dent Res. 2016;95:223-9 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the specific FA profile of diet rather than weight gain and obesity alone modulates bone metabolism and can therefore influence alveolar bone loss. ..
- Iqbal J, Sun L, Kumar T, Blair H, Zaidi M. Follicle-stimulating hormone stimulates TNF production from immune cells to enhance osteoblast and osteoclast formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14925-30 pubmed..Ascorbic acid may prevent FSH-induced hypogonadal bone loss by modulating the catabolic actions of TNFalpha. ..
- Liu X, Kirschenbaum A, Weinstein B, Zaidi M, Yao S, Levine A. Prostaglandin E2 modulates components of the Wnt signaling system in bone and prostate cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:715-20 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that there are dose-dependent effects of PGE(2) on Wnt activation in osteoblast-lineage cells and Wnt-inhibitor expression in PCa cells which may have clinical implications in the management. ..
- Yadav V, Arantes H, Barros E, Lazaretti Castro M, Ducy P. Genetic analysis of Lrp5 function in osteoblast progenitors. Calcif Tissue Int. 2010;86:382-8 pubmed publisher..These results rule out a direct function of Lrp5 in osteoblast progenitor cells and add further support to the notion that dysregulation of serotonin synthesis is involved in bone mass abnormalities observed in OPPG patients. ..
- Karsenty G, Kronenberg H, Settembre C. Genetic control of bone formation. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2009;25:629-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, it will cover our current knowledge of chondrogenesis and osteoblastogenesis. It will also cover the most salient aspects of osteoblast function. ..
- Hinoi E, Gao N, Jung D, Yadav V, Yoshizawa T, Kajimura D, et al. An Osteoblast-dependent mechanism contributes to the leptin regulation of insulin secretion. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1173 Suppl 1:E20-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together these data illustrate the tight connections between bone remodeling and energy metabolism and add further credence to the notion that the osteoblast is a bona fide endocrine cell type. ..
- Mansukhani A, Bellosta P, Sahni M, Basilico C. Signaling by fibroblast growth factors (FGF) and fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2)-activating mutations blocks mineralization and induces apoptosis in osteoblasts. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1297-308 pubmed..These data provide the first biochemical analysis of FGF signaling in osteoblasts, and show that FGF can act as a cell death inducer with distinct effects in proliferating and differentiating osteoblasts...
- Deckelbaum R, Majithia A, Booker T, Henderson J, Loomis C. The homeoprotein engrailed 1 has pleiotropic functions in calvarial intramembranous bone formation and remodeling. Development. 2006;133:63-74 pubmed..In summary, this study identifies EN1 as a novel modulator of calvarial osteoblast differentiation and proliferation, processes that must be exquisitely balanced to ensure proper skull vault formation. ..
- Seo E, Basu Roy U, Zavadil J, Basilico C, Mansukhani A. Distinct functions of Sox2 control self-renewal and differentiation in the osteoblast lineage. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4593-608 pubmed publisher..Our results establish a connection between Sox2 and BMI-1 in maintaining self-renewal and identify BMI-1 as a key mediator of Sox2 function. ..
- Boskey A, DiCarlo E, Paschalis E, West P, Mendelsohn R. Comparison of mineral quality and quantity in iliac crest biopsies from high- and low-turnover osteoporosis: an FT-IR microspectroscopic investigation. Osteoporos Int. 2005;16:2031-8 pubmed..These data indicate that FTIR microspectroscopy can provide quantitative information on mineral changes in osteoporosis that are consistent with proposed mechanisms of bone loss. ..
- Kaplan R, Psaila B, Lyden D. Niche-to-niche migration of bone-marrow-derived cells. Trends Mol Med. 2007;13:72-81 pubmed..Clear clinical benefits can be foreseen by modulating HSCs and their microenvironments, in promoting tissue regeneration, and inhibiting tumourigenesis and cancer metastasis. ..
- Colaianni G, Sun L, Di Benedetto A, Tamma R, Zhu L, Cao J, et al. Bone marrow oxytocin mediates the anabolic action of estrogen on the skeleton. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:29159-67 pubmed publisher..Physiologically, feed-forward OT release in bone marrow by a rising estrogen concentration may facilitate rapid skeletal recovery during the latter phases of lactation. ..
- Kirschenbaum A, Liu X, Yao S, Leiter A, Levine A. Prostatic acid phosphatase is expressed in human prostate cancer bone metastases and promotes osteoblast differentiation. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011;1237:64-70 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that PAP is expressed in PCa bone metastases and may play a causal role in the osteoblastic phase of the disease. ..
- Wang X, Allen R, Tutela J, Sailon A, Allori A, Davidson E, et al. Progenitor cell mobilization enhances bone healing by means of improved neovascularization and osteogenesis. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;128:395-405 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of circulating progenitor cells in bone healing and may provide a novel therapy for bone regeneration. ..
- Sun L, Pan J, Peng Y, Wu Y, Li J, Liu X, et al. Anabolic steroids reduce spinal cord injury-related bone loss in rats associated with increased Wnt signaling. J Spinal Cord Med. 2013;36:616-22 pubmed publisher..A potential mechanism is suggested by our findings wherein nandrolone modulates genes for differentiation and activity of osteoclasts and osteoblasts, at least in part, through the activation of Wnt signaling. ..
- Bellosta P, Masramon L, Mansukhani A, Basilico C. p21(WAF1/CIP1) acts as a brake in osteoblast differentiation. J Bone Miner Res. 2003;18:818-26 pubmed..Furthermore, transient overexpression of p21 from an adenovirus vector delayed the onset of differentiation both in wild-type and in p21 null osteoblasts. These results highlight a new function for p21 in osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Chen D, Tavana O, Chu B, Erber L, Chen Y, Baer R, et al. NRF2 Is a Major Target of ARF in p53-Independent Tumor Suppression. Mol Cell. 2017;68:224-232.e4 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that NRF2 is a major target of p53-independent tumor suppression by ARF and also suggest that the ARF-NRF2 interaction acts as a new checkpoint for oxidative stress responses. ..
- Dai X, Zong X, Akhter M, Stanley E. Osteoclast deficiency results in disorganized matrix, reduced mineralization, and abnormal osteoblast behavior in developing bone. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19:1441-51 pubmed
- Elis S, Courtland H, Wu Y, Rosen C, Sun H, Jepsen K, et al. Elevated serum levels of IGF-1 are sufficient to establish normal body size and skeletal properties even in the absence of tissue IGF-1. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:1257-66 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that in the absence of tissue igf1 gene expression, maintaining long-term elevations in serum IGF-1 is sufficient to establish normal body size, body composition, and both skeletal architecture and mechanical function. ..
- Ely S, Knowles D. Expression of CD56/neural cell adhesion molecule correlates with the presence of lytic bone lesions in multiple myeloma and distinguishes myeloma from monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and lymphomas with plasmacytoid differentiation. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:1293-9 pubmed
- Ferron M, Wei J, Yoshizawa T, Ducy P, Karsenty G. An ELISA-based method to quantify osteocalcin carboxylation in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;397:691-6 pubmed publisher..Its use should facilitate the analysis of culture system or mouse model in which the hormonal activity of osteocalcin needs to be evaluated. ..
- Kode A, Mosialou I, Silva B, Rached M, Zhou B, Wang J, et al. FOXO1 orchestrates the bone-suppressing function of gut-derived serotonin. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:3490-503 pubmed publisher..These observations identify FOXO1 as the molecular node of an intricate transcriptional machinery that confers the signal of duodenal-derived serotonin to inhibit bone formation. ..
- Oikonomidou P, Casu C, Yang Z, Crielaard B, Shim J, Rivella S, et al. Polycythemia is associated with bone loss and reduced osteoblast activity in mice. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:1559-1568 pubmed publisher..Our results support future studies of osteoporosis in affected humans. Polycythemia caused by chronically elevated circulating EPO also results in bone loss, and implications on patients treated with rEPO should be evaluated. ..
- Di Cesare P, Fang C, Leslie M, Tulli H, Perris R, Carlson C. Expression of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP) by embryonic and adult osteoblasts. J Orthop Res. 2000;18:713-20 pubmed
- Sheu T, Schwarz E, O Keefe R, Rosier R, Puzas J. Use of a phage display technique to identify potential osteoblast binding sites within osteoclast lacunae. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:915-22 pubmed..The clone 5 peptide shows a high homology to glypican 4 (GPC4), a proteoglycan attachment receptor found in a number of cell types. ..
- Ambrosetti D, Holmes G, Mansukhani A, Basilico C. Fibroblast growth factor signaling uses multiple mechanisms to inhibit Wnt-induced transcription in osteoblasts. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4759-71 pubmed publisher..Our results show that FGF antagonizes Wnt signaling by inhibiting Wnt-induced transcription and suggest that multiple mechanisms, including downregulation of TCFs and Wnt receptors, contribute to this effect. ..
- Greenwald J, Mehrara B, Spector J, Warren S, Fagenholz P, Smith L, et al. In vivo modulation of FGF biological activity alters cranial suture fate. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:441-52 pubmed..Our data may facilitate the development of novel, less invasive treatment options for children with craniosynostosis...
- Singh S, Chang E, Gossain A, Mehara B, Galiano R, Jensen J, et al. Cyclic mechanical strain increases production of regulators of bone healing in cultured murine osteoblasts. J Am Coll Surg. 2007;204:426-34 pubmed..But we also found increasing strain to increase cellular toxicity, suggesting that cyclic mechanical strain may select for a subpopulation of osteoblasts. ..
- Celil Aydemir A, Lee S, Won Kim D, Gardner T, Prince D, Mok Ahn J, et al. Nuclear factor of activated T cell mediates proinflammatory gene expression in response to mechanotransduction. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1117:138-42 pubmed..Fluid shear stress (FSS)-induced effect was blocked by the inhibition of the calcineurin-NFATc1 axis, thus implicating a role for nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT) signaling in mechanotransduction. ..
- Kajimura D, Lee H, Riley K, Arteaga Solis E, Ferron M, Zhou B, et al. Adiponectin regulates bone mass via opposite central and peripheral mechanisms through FoxO1. Cell Metab. 2013;17:901-15 pubmed publisher..It also proposes that adiponectin regulation of bone mass occurs through a PI3-kinase-FoxO1 pathway. ..
- Li B, Boast S, de los Santos K, Schieren I, Quiroz M, Teitelbaum S, et al. Mice deficient in Abl are osteoporotic and have defects in osteoblast maturation. Nat Genet. 2000;24:304-8 pubmed..Osteoblasts from both stromal and calvarial explants showed delayed maturation in vitro as measured by expression of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), induction of mRNA encoding osteocalcin and mineral deposition. ..
- Matsuo N, Tanaka S, Yoshioka H, Koch M, Gordon M, Ramirez F. Collagen XXIV (Col24a1) gene expression is a specific marker of osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Connect Tissue Res. 2008;49:68-75 pubmed publisher..These findings lend further support to the hypothesis that collagen XXIV may be implicated in the formation of a mineralization-competent bone matrix. ..
- Kong L, Liu C. Mediation of chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation by an interferon-inducible p202 protein. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008;65:3494-506 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings demonstrate that p202 protein is a novel, important mediator of chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation. ..
- Kara F, Doty S, Boskey A, Goldring S, Zaidi M, Fredholm B, et al. Adenosine A(1) receptors regulate bone resorption in mice: adenosine A(1) receptor blockade or deletion increases bone density and prevents ovariectomy-induced bone loss in adenosine A(1) receptor-knockout mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:534-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the adenosine A(1) receptor may be a useful target in treating diseases characterized by excessive bone turnover, such as osteoporosis and prosthetic joint loosening. ..
- Nistala H, Lee Arteaga S, Smaldone S, Siciliano G, Carta L, Ono R, et al. Fibrillin-1 and -2 differentially modulate endogenous TGF-? and BMP bioavailability during bone formation. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:1107-21 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify the extracellular microfibrils as critical regulators of bone formation through the modulation of endogenous TGF-? and BMP signaling...
- Zhu W, Liang G, Huang Z, Doty S, Boskey A. Conditional inactivation of the CXCR4 receptor in osteoprecursors reduces postnatal bone formation due to impaired osteoblast development. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26794-805 pubmed publisher..Thus, CXCR4 acts as an endogenous signaling component necessary for bone formation. ..
- Schaniel C, Sirabella D, Qiu J, Niu X, Lemischka I, Moore K. Wnt-inhibitory factor 1 dysregulation of the bone marrow niche exhausts hematopoietic stem cells. Blood. 2011;118:2420-9 pubmed publisher..We find that dysregulation of the stem cell niche by overexpression of an individual component impacts other unanticipated regulatory pathways in a combinatorial manner, ultimately disrupting niche mediated stem cell fate decisions. ..
- Zee T, Settembre C, Levine R, Karsenty G. T-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase regulates bone resorption and whole-body insulin sensitivity through its expression in osteoblasts. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1080-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, osteoblast-specific deletion of TC-PTP promotes insulin sensitivity in an osteocalcin-dependent manner. This study increases the number of genes involved in the bone regulation of glucose homeostasis. ..
- Rapuano B, MacDonald D. Structure-activity relationship of human bone sialoprotein peptides. Eur J Oral Sci. 2013;121:600-9 pubmed publisher..This knowledge may be useful in the future design of biomimetic peptides which are more effective in promoting the attachment of osteogenic cells to implant surfaces in vivo. ..
- Zhu K, Song P, Lai Y, Liu C, Xiao G. Prolyl hydroxylase domain proteins regulate bone mass through their expression in osteoblasts. Gene. 2016;594:125-130 pubmed publisher..Loss of PHD1-3 increased the number of osteoblast progenitors (CFU-OBs) in bone marrow cultures. Interestingly, deleting Phd1-3 genes in osteoblasts increased osteoclast formation in vitro and in bone. ..
- Matsumoto Y, La Rose J, Lim M, Adissu H, Law N, Mao X, et al. Ubiquitin ligase RNF146 coordinates bone dynamics and energy metabolism. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:2612-2625 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that RNF146 is required to coordinate ?-catenin signaling within the osteoblast lineage during embryonic and postnatal bone development. ..
- Sun L, Blair H, Peng Y, Zaidi N, Adebanjo O, Wu X, et al. Calcineurin regulates bone formation by the osteoblast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17130-5 pubmed..Together, the gain- and loss-of-function experiments indicate that calcineurin regulates bone formation through an effect on osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Zhu W, Boachie Adjei O, Rawlins B, Frenkel B, Boskey A, Ivashkiv L, et al. A novel regulatory role for stromal-derived factor-1 signaling in bone morphogenic protein-2 osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal C2C12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18676-85 pubmed..Our data provide the first evidence for a co-requirement of the SDF-1/CXCR4 signaling axis in BMP2-induced osteogenic differentiation of C2C12 and ST2 cells and, thus, uncover a new potential target for modulation of osteogenesis. ..
- Luan Y, Yu X, Yang N, Frenkel S, Chen L, Liu C. p204 protein overcomes the inhibition of core binding factor alpha-1-mediated osteogenic differentiation by Id helix-loop-helix proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2113-26 pubmed publisher..Together, Cbfa1, p204, and Id proteins form a regulatory circuit and act in concert to regulate osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Baliram R, Latif R, Berkowitz J, Frid S, Colaianni G, Sun L, et al. Thyroid-stimulating hormone induces a Wnt-dependent, feed-forward loop for osteoblastogenesis in embryonic stem cell cultures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16277-82 pubmed publisher..We surmise that this loop should uncouple bone formation from bone resorption with a net increase in bone mass, which is what has been observed upon injecting TSH. ..
- Karsenty G. The mutual dependence between bone and gonads. J Endocrinol. 2012;213:107-14 pubmed publisher..It also discusses the implication of this novel mode of regulation of testosterone synthesis observed in males but not in females. ..
- Oury F, Ferron M, Huizhen W, Confavreux C, Xu L, LaCombe J, et al. Osteocalcin regulates murine and human fertility through a pancreas-bone-testis axis. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:2421-33 pubmed..This study uncovers the existence of a second endocrine axis that is necessary for optimal male fertility in the mouse and suggests that osteocalcin modulates reproductive function in humans...
- Shimazu J, Wei J, Karsenty G. Smurf1 Inhibits Osteoblast Differentiation, Bone Formation, and Glucose Homeostasis through Serine 148. Cell Rep. 2016;15:27-35 pubmed publisher..These results identify Smurf1 as a determinant of osteoblast differentiation during the development of bone formation and glucose homeostasis post-natally and demonstrate the necessity of S148 for these functions. ..
- Mosialou I, Shikhel S, Liu J, Maurizi A, Luo N, He Z, et al. MC4R-dependent suppression of appetite by bone-derived lipocalin 2. Nature. 2017;543:385-390 pubmed publisher..These results identify LCN2 as a bone-derived hormone with metabolic regulatory effects, which suppresses appetite in a MC4R-dependent manner, and show that the control of appetite is an endocrine function of bone. ..
- Andres J, DeFalcis D, Noda M, Massague J. Binding of two growth factor families to separate domains of the proteoglycan betaglycan. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:5927-30 pubmed
- Sun L, Iqbal J, Dolgilevich S, Yuen T, Wu X, Moonga B, et al. Disordered osteoclast formation and function in a CD38 (ADP-ribosyl cyclase)-deficient mouse establishes an essential role for CD38 in bone resorption. FASEB J. 2003;17:369-75 pubmed..These findings establish a critical role for CD38 in osteoclast formation and bone resorption. We speculate that CD38 functions as a cellular NAD+ "sensor," particularly during periods of active motility and secretion. ..
- Liu C, Chang E, Yu J, Carlson C, Prazak L, Yu X, et al. The interferon-inducible p204 protein acts as a transcriptional coactivator of Cbfa1 and enhances osteoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2788-96 pubmed..p204, which is the first interferon-inducible protein found to associate with Cbfa1, functions as a novel regulator of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Mansukhani A, Ambrosetti D, Holmes G, Cornivelli L, Basilico C. Sox2 induction by FGF and FGFR2 activating mutations inhibits Wnt signaling and osteoblast differentiation. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:1065-76 pubmed..Our results indicate that FGF signaling could control many aspects of osteoblast differentiation through induction of Sox2 and regulation of the Wnt-beta-catenin pathway. ..
- Katayama Y, Battista M, Kao W, Hidalgo A, Peired A, Thomas S, et al. Signals from the sympathetic nervous system regulate hematopoietic stem cell egress from bone marrow. Cell. 2006;124:407-21 pubmed..Further, administration of a beta(2) adrenergic agonist enhances mobilization in both control and NE-deficient mice. Thus, these results indicate that the sympathetic nervous system regulates the attraction of stem cells to their niche...
- Mendez Ferrer S, Lucas D, Battista M, Frenette P. Haematopoietic stem cell release is regulated by circadian oscillations. Nature. 2008;452:442-7 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that a circadian, neurally driven release of HSC during the animal's resting period may promote the regeneration of the stem cell niche and possibly other tissues. ..
- Yoshizawa T, Hinoi E, Jung D, Kajimura D, Ferron M, Seo J, et al. The transcription factor ATF4 regulates glucose metabolism in mice through its expression in osteoblasts. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2807-17 pubmed publisher..These results provide a transcriptional basis to the observation that osteoblasts fulfill endocrine functions and identify ATF4 as a regulator of most functions of osteoblasts. ..
- Rached M, Kode A, Xu L, Yoshikawa Y, Paik J, Depinho R, et al. FoxO1 is a positive regulator of bone formation by favoring protein synthesis and resistance to oxidative stress in osteoblasts. Cell Metab. 2010;11:147-60 pubmed publisher..These results identify FoxO1 as a crucial regulator of osteoblast physiology and provide a direct mechanistic link between oxidative stress and the regulation of bone remodeling. ..
- Karsenty G, Oury F. Biology without walls: the novel endocrinology of bone. Annu Rev Physiol. 2012;74:87-105 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the body of work discussed below illustrates a new and unconventional role for bone in mammalian physiology. ..
- Abe E, Marians R, Yu W, Wu X, Ando T, Li Y, et al. TSH is a negative regulator of skeletal remodeling. Cell. 2003;115:151-62 pubmed..These studies define a role for TSH as a single molecular switch in the independent control of both bone formation and resorption. ..
- Kim H, Minashima T, McCarthy E, Winkles J, Kirsch T. Progressive ankylosis protein (ANK) in osteoblasts and osteoclasts controls bone formation and bone remodeling. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:1771-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ANK is a positive regulator of osteoblastic and osteoclastic differentiation events toward a mature osteoblastic and osteoclastic phenotype. ..
- Shim J, Greenblatt M, Zou W, Huang Z, Wein M, Brady N, et al. Schnurri-3 regulates ERK downstream of WNT signaling in osteoblasts. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:4010-22 pubmed publisher..Inducible knockdown of Shn3 in adult mice resulted in a high-bone mass phenotype, providing evidence that transient blockade of these pathways in adults holds promise as a therapy for osteoporosis. ..
- Zhang X, Schwarz E, Young D, Puzas J, Rosier R, O Keefe R. Cyclooxygenase-2 regulates mesenchymal cell differentiation into the osteoblast lineage and is critically involved in bone repair. J Clin Invest. 2002;109:1405-15 pubmed..These results provide a model whereby COX-2 regulates the induction of cbfa1 and osterix to mediate normal skeletal repair. ..
- Lampasso J, Marzec N, Margarone J, Dziak R. Role of protein kinase C alpha in primary human osteoblast proliferation. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:1968-76 pubmed..Our findings present original data that PKCalpha is the isoform specifically involved in the proliferation of primary human osteoblasts. ..
- Wu X, Li Y, Schneider A, Yu W, Rajendren G, Iqbal J, et al. Impaired osteoblastic differentiation, reduced bone formation, and severe osteoporosis in noggin-overexpressing mice. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:924-34 pubmed..Thus, the overproduction of noggin during biological aging may result in impaired osteoblast formation and function and hence, net bone loss. ..
- Matsuo N, Tanaka S, Gordon M, Koch M, Yoshioka H, Ramirez F. CREB-AP1 protein complexes regulate transcription of the collagen XXIV gene (Col24a1) in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5445-52 pubmed