Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in California, United States
Locale: California, United States
Publications370 found, 100 shown here
- Stallcup W. The third fibronectin type III repeat is required for L1 to serve as an optimal substratum for neurite extension. J Neurosci Res. 2000;61:33-43 pubmed
- Sohal V, Keist R, Rudolph U, Huguenard J. Dynamic GABA(A) receptor subtype-specific modulation of the synchrony and duration of thalamic oscillations. J Neurosci. 2003;23:3649-57 pubmed..These results not only identify a particular anatomical and molecular target for anti-absence drug design, but also elucidate a specific dynamic mechanism by which inhibitory networks control neural oscillations. ..
- Amador N, Fried I. Single-neuron activity in the human supplementary motor area underlying preparation for action. J Neurosurg. 2004;100:250-9 pubmed..These results provide support at the single-neuron level for the role of the medial frontal cortex in the temporal organization and planning of movements in humans. ..
- Xu X, Roby K, Callaway E. Mouse cortical inhibitory neuron type that coexpresses somatostatin and calretinin. J Comp Neurol. 2006;499:144-60 pubmed..Thus, our data show an important species difference in the chemical distinction of inhibitory neuron subtypes, and indicate that colocalization of CR in SST cells correlates with different morphological and physiological features. ..
- Cao X, Pfaff S, Gage F. A functional study of miR-124 in the developing neural tube. Genes Dev. 2007;21:531-6 pubmed..Thus miR-124 appears to ensure that progenitor genes are post-transcriptionally inhibited in neurons. ..
- Zhang F, Wang L, Brauner M, Liewald J, Kay K, Watzke N, et al. Multimodal fast optical interrogation of neural circuitry. Nature. 2007;446:633-9 pubmed..NpHR and ChR2 form a complete system for multimodal, high-speed, genetically targeted, all-optical interrogation of living neural circuits. ..
- Hoopfer E, Penton A, Watts R, Luo L. Genomic analysis of Drosophila neuronal remodeling: a role for the RNA-binding protein Boule as a negative regulator of axon pruning. J Neurosci. 2008;28:6092-103 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel function for Boule in the CNS as a negative regulator of developmental axon pruning. ..
- Prolo L, Vogel H, Reimer R. The lysosomal sialic acid transporter sialin is required for normal CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15355-65 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that a defect in maturation of cells in the oligodendrocyte lineage leads to increased apoptosis and underlies the myelination defect associated with sialin loss. ..
- Franco S, Muller U. Extracellular matrix functions during neuronal migration and lamination in the mammalian central nervous system. Dev Neurobiol. 2011;71:889-900 pubmed publisher..We also discuss several studies demonstrating that mutations in ECM glycoproteins can alter neuronal positioning by cell nonautonomous mechanisms that secondarily affect migrating neurons. ..
- Mosca T, Hong W, Dani V, Favaloro V, Luo L. Trans-synaptic Teneurin signalling in neuromuscular synapse organization and target choice. Nature. 2012;484:237-41 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies the Teneurins as a key bi-directional trans-synaptic signal involved in general synapse organization, and demonstrates that proteins such as these can also regulate target selection. ..
- Prekeris R, Klumperman J, Chen Y, Scheller R. Syntaxin 13 mediates cycling of plasma membrane proteins via tubulovesicular recycling endosomes. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:957-71 pubmed..These results support a role for syntaxin 13 in membrane fusion events during the recycling of plasma membrane proteins. ..
- Bazhenov M, Timofeev I, Steriade M, Sejnowski T. Self-sustained rhythmic activity in the thalamic reticular nucleus mediated by depolarizing GABAA receptor potentials. Nat Neurosci. 1999;2:168-74 pubmed..This model predicts that the isolated reticular nucleus could initiate sequences of spindle oscillations in thalamocortical networks in vivo. ..
- Prieto A, Weber J, Lai C. Expression of the receptor protein-tyrosine kinases Tyro-3, Axl, and mer in the developing rat central nervous system. J Comp Neurol. 2000;425:295-314 pubmed..These studies provide initial clues for elucidating the cellular functions of the Axl subfamily members and suggest potential complex Gas6/RPTK as well as RPTK/RPTK signaling interactions in the mature and developing CNS. ..
- Huang A, Chen X, Hoon M, Chandrashekar J, Guo W, Tränkner D, et al. The cells and logic for mammalian sour taste detection. Nature. 2006;442:934-8 pubmed..We propose that these cells correspond to the long-sought components of the cerebrospinal fluid chemosensory system. Taken together, our results suggest a common basis for acid sensing in disparate physiological settings. ..
- Ubhi K, Rockenstein E, Mante M, Inglis C, Adame A, Patrick C, et al. Alpha-synuclein deficient mice are resistant to toxin-induced multiple system atrophy. Neuroreport. 2010;21:457-62 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that deficits in MSA are not due to general oxidative protein modification but in addition may be related to specific alphasyn modifications. ..
- Sangha S, Chadick J, Janak P. Safety encoding in the basal amygdala. J Neurosci. 2013;33:3744-51 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the presence of neurons in the basal amygdala that are selectively responsive to Safety Cues. Furthermore, these data suggest that safety and reward learning use overlapping mechanisms in the basal amygdala. ..
- Menz M, Oralkan O, Khuri Yakub P, Baccus S. Precise neural stimulation in the retina using focused ultrasound. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4550-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, because of its noninvasive properties and spatiotemporal resolution, ultrasound neurostimulation promises to be a useful tool to understand dynamic activity in pharmacologically defined neural pathways in the retina. ..
- Wu S, Fagan R, Uttamapinant C, Lifshitz L, Fogarty K, Ting A, et al. The Dopamine Transporter Recycles via a Retromer-Dependent Postendocytic Mechanism: Tracking Studies Using a Novel Fluorophore-Coupling Approach. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9438-9452 pubmed publisher..In addition to shedding light on this critical process, these findings resolve conflict among multiple, seemingly disparate, previous reports on DAT's postendocytic fate. ..
- Danielson P, Forss Petter S, Battenberg E, deLecea L, Bloom F, Sutcliffe J. Four structurally distinct neuron-specific olfactomedin-related glycoproteins produced by differential promoter utilization and alternative mRNA splicing from a single gene. J Neurosci Res. 1994;38:468-78 pubmed
- Brenman J, Chao D, Gee S, McGee A, Craven S, Santillano D, et al. Interaction of nitric oxide synthase with the postsynaptic density protein PSD-95 and alpha1-syntrophin mediated by PDZ domains. Cell. 1996;84:757-67 pubmed..Interaction of PDZ-containing domains therefore mediates synaptic association of nNOS and may play a more general role in formation of macromolecular signaling complexes. ..
- Mulle C, Sailer A, Perez Otano I, Dickinson Anson H, Castillo P, Bureau I, et al. Altered synaptic physiology and reduced susceptibility to kainate-induced seizures in GluR6-deficient mice. Nature. 1998;392:601-5 pubmed..Our results indicate that kainate receptors containing the GluR6 subunit are important in synaptic transmission as well as in the epileptogenic effects of kainate. ..
- Lee T, Winter C, Marticke S, Lee A, Luo L. Essential roles of Drosophila RhoA in the regulation of neuroblast proliferation and dendritic but not axonal morphogenesis. Neuron. 2000;25:307-16 pubmed..Thus, RhoA is an important regulator of dendritic morphogenesis, while distinct mechanisms are used for axonal morphogenesis. ..
- Foletti D, Scheller R. Developmental regulation and specific brain distribution of phosphorabphilin. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5461-72 pubmed..We propose that the phosphorylation of rabphilin regulates neuronal activity through development and in a synapse-specific manner. ..
- Sceniak M, MacIver M. Cellular actions of urethane on rat visual cortical neurons in vitro. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:3865-74 pubmed..These results are consistent with observations seen in vivo during urethane anesthesia where urethane produced minimal disruption of signal transmission in the neocortex...
- Dulcis D, Spitzer N. Illumination controls differentiation of dopamine neurons regulating behaviour. Nature. 2008;456:195-201 pubmed publisher..The results may be pertinent to changes in cognitive states that are regulated by biogenic amines. ..
- Haun F, Nakamura T, Shiu A, Cho D, Tsunemi T, Holland E, et al. S-nitrosylation of dynamin-related protein 1 mediates mutant huntingtin-induced mitochondrial fragmentation and neuronal injury in Huntington's disease. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;19:1173-84 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the SNO-Drp1 signaling pathway links mutHTT neurotoxicity to a malfunction in mitochondrial dynamics, resulting in neuronal synaptic damage in HD. ..
- Blinder P, Tsai P, Kaufhold J, Knutsen P, Suhl H, Kleinfeld D. The cortical angiome: an interconnected vascular network with noncolumnar patterns of blood flow. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:889-97 pubmed publisher..This analysis provides the underpinning to understand functional imaging and the effect of penetrating vessels strokes on brain viability. ..
- Lee T, Luo L. Mosaic analysis with a repressible cell marker for studies of gene function in neuronal morphogenesis. Neuron. 1999;22:451-61 pubmed..As an example, we show that the short stop gene is required in mushroom body neurons for the extension and guidance of their axons. ..
- Eisenstat D, Liu J, Mione M, Zhong W, Yu G, Anderson S, et al. DLX-1, DLX-2, and DLX-5 expression define distinct stages of basal forebrain differentiation. J Comp Neurol. 1999;414:217-37 pubmed..In the basal telencephalon, these DLX-positive cells differentiate into projection neurons of the striatum and pallidum as well as interneurons, some of which migrate to the cerebral cortex and the olfactory bulb. ..
- Hagihara K, Watanabe K, Chun J, Yamaguchi Y. Glypican-4 is an FGF2-binding heparan sulfate proteoglycan expressed in neural precursor cells. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:353-67 pubmed..These results suggest that glypican-4 plays a critical role in the regulation of FGF2 action during cortical neurogenesis. ..
- Yasuda H, Barth A, Stellwagen D, Malenka R. A developmental switch in the signaling cascades for LTP induction. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:15-6 pubmed
- Wang H, Cheng E, Brooke S, Chang P, Sapolsky R. Over-expression of antioxidant enzymes protects cultured hippocampal and cortical neurons from necrotic insults. J Neurochem. 2003;87:1527-34 pubmed..These studies not only underline the key role played by ROS in the neurotoxicity of necrotic insults, but also suggest potential gene therapy approaches. ..
- O Donnell N, Zachara N, Hart G, Marth J. Ogt-dependent X-chromosome-linked protein glycosylation is a requisite modification in somatic cell function and embryo viability. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1680-90 pubmed..We find that O-GlcNAc modulates protein phosphorylation and expression among essential and conserved cell signaling pathways. ..
- Moqrich A, Earley T, Watson J, Andahazy M, Backus C, Martin Zanca D, et al. Expressing TrkC from the TrkA locus causes a subset of dorsal root ganglia neurons to switch fate. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:812-8 pubmed..The surviving presumptive TrkA-expressing neurons adopted a proprioceptive phenotype, indicating that neurotrophin signaling can specify sensory neuron subtypes. ..
- Hayashi T, Saito A, Okuno S, Ferrand Drake M, Dodd R, Chan P. Damage to the endoplasmic reticulum and activation of apoptotic machinery by oxidative stress in ischemic neurons. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2005;25:41-53 pubmed..This indicates that superoxide attacked and damaged the ER, and that oxidative ER damage is implicated in ischemic neuronal cell death. ..
- Scheel J, Ray J, Gage F, Barlow C. Quantitative analysis of gene expression in living adult neural stem cells by gene trapping. Nat Methods. 2005;2:363-70 pubmed
- Zhao C, Teng E, Summers R, Ming G, Gage F. Distinct morphological stages of dentate granule neuron maturation in the adult mouse hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3-11 pubmed..Our study reveals the key morphological transitions of newborn granule neurons during their course of maturation. ..
- Li L, Tasic B, Micheva K, Ivanov V, Spletter M, Smith S, et al. Visualizing the distribution of synapses from individual neurons in the mouse brain. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11503 pubmed publisher..The ability to visualize synapses of single neurons in vivo is valuable for studying synaptogenesis and synaptic plasticity within individual neurons as well as information flow in neural circuits. ..
- Srinivasan A, Roth K, Sayers R, Shindler K, Wong A, Fritz L, et al. In situ immunodetection of activated caspase-3 in apoptotic neurons in the developing nervous system. Cell Death Differ. 1998;5:1004-16 pubmed..These studies indicate that caspase-3 is activated during apoptosis in the developing nervous system in vivo and that CM1 is a useful reagent for its in situ detection. ..
- Ethell I, Hagihara K, Miura Y, Irie F, Yamaguchi Y. Synbindin, A novel syndecan-2-binding protein in neuronal dendritic spines. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:53-68 pubmed..We suggest that syndecan-2 induces spine formation by recruiting intracellular vesicles toward postsynaptic sites through the interaction with synbindin. ..
- Simon H, Saueressig H, Wurst W, Goulding M, O Leary D. Fate of midbrain dopaminergic neurons controlled by the engrailed genes. J Neurosci. 2001;21:3126-34 pubmed..However, the engrailed genes control the survival of midbrain dopaminergic neurons in a gene dose-dependent manner. Our findings also suggest a link between engrailed and Parkinson's disease. ..
- Endo H, Nito C, Kamada H, Yu F, Chan P. Akt/GSK3beta survival signaling is involved in acute brain injury after subarachnoid hemorrhage in rats. Stroke. 2006;37:2140-6 pubmed..LY294002 reduced Akt and GSK3beta phosphorylation and increased brain injury after SAH. The present study suggests that the Akt/GSK3beta pathway might be involved in neuronal survival in acute brain injury after SAH. ..
- Cao X, Pfaff S, Gage F. YAP regulates neural progenitor cell number via the TEA domain transcription factor. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3320-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Hippo pathway plays critical roles in regulating neural progenitor cell number by affecting proliferation, fate choice, and cell survival. ..
- Clements W, Ong K, Traver D. Zebrafish wnt3 is expressed in developing neural tissue. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1788-95 pubmed publisher..This lack of early expression should make it possible to study later Wnt3-regulated patterning events, such as neural patterning, by knockdown studies in zebrafish. ..
- Kwak Y, Wang B, Pan W, Xu H, Jiang X, Liao F. Functional interaction of phosphatase and tensin homologue (PTEN) with the E3 ligase NEDD4-1 during neuronal response to zinc. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:9847-57 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that NEDD4-1-mediated PTEN ubiquitination is crucial in the regulation of PI3K/Akt signaling by PTEN during the neuronal response to zinc, which may represent a common mechanism in neurodegeneration. ..
- Teichmann H, Shen K. UNC-6 and UNC-40 promote dendritic growth through PAR-4 in Caenorhabditis elegans neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:165-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that axon and dendrite of one neuron interpret common environmental cues with different receptors and downstream signaling pathways. ..
- Emiliani V, Cohen A, Deisseroth K, HÃ¤usser M. All-Optical Interrogation of Neural Circuits. J Neurosci. 2015;35:13917-26 pubmed publisher..These advances promise to illuminate many fundamental challenges in neuroscience, including transforming our search for the neural code and the links between neural circuit activity and behavior. ..
- Hsu S, Ting A, Hazuka C, Davanger S, Kenny J, Kee Y, et al. The mammalian brain rsec6/8 complex. Neuron. 1996;17:1209-19 pubmed..These data suggest a role for the mammalian rsec6/8 complex in neurotransmitter release via interactions with the core vesicle docking and fusion apparatus. ..
- Poon R, Lew J, Hunter T. Identification of functional domains in the neuronal Cdk5 activator protein. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:5703-8 pubmed..Residues approximately 150-200 of p35 were sufficient for binding to Cdk5, but residues approximately 279-291 were needed in addition for activation of Cdk5 in vitro. ..
- Chatterton J, Awobuluyi M, Premkumar L, Takahashi H, Talantova M, Shin Y, et al. Excitatory glycine receptors containing the NR3 family of NMDA receptor subunits. Nature. 2002;415:793-8 pubmed..By itself, glycine is normally thought of as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. In contrast, these NR1/NR3A or -3B 'NMDARs' constitute a type of excitatory glycine receptor. ..
- Shi Y, Chichung Lie D, Taupin P, Nakashima K, Ray J, Yu R, et al. Expression and function of orphan nuclear receptor TLX in adult neural stem cells. Nature. 2004;427:78-83 pubmed..TLX can silence glia-specific expression of the astrocyte marker GFAP in neural stem cells, suggesting that transcriptional repression may be crucial in maintaining the undifferentiated state of these cells. ..
- Pasquale E. Eph receptor signalling casts a wide net on cell behaviour. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2005;6:462-75 pubmed
- Assisi C, Stopfer M, Laurent G, Bazhenov M. Adaptive regulation of sparseness by feedforward inhibition. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1176-84 pubmed..This simple adaptive mechanism could maintain the sparseness of sensory representations across wide ranges of stimulus conditions. ..
- Luo J, Ho P, Buckwalter M, Hsu T, Lee L, Zhang H, et al. Glia-dependent TGF-beta signaling, acting independently of the TH17 pathway, is critical for initiation of murine autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3306-15 pubmed..Importantly, inhibition of TGF-beta signaling may have benefits in the treatment of the acute phase of autoimmune CNS inflammation. ..
- Jessberger S, Toni N, Clemenson G, Ray J, Gage F. Directed differentiation of hippocampal stem/progenitor cells in the adult brain. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:888-93 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that AHPs have substantial plasticity, which might have important implications for the potential use of endogenous AHPs in neurological disease. ..
- Kong E, Woo K, Li H, Lebestky T, Mayer N, Sniffen M, et al. A pair of dopamine neurons target the D1-like dopamine receptor DopR in the central complex to promote ethanol-stimulated locomotion in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9954 pubmed publisher..These data tie the activity of defined dopamine neurons to D1-like DopR-expressing neurons to form a neural circuit that governs acute responding to ethanol. ..
- Sung T, Chen Z, Thuret S, Vilar M, Gage F, Riek R, et al. P45 forms a complex with FADD and promotes neuronal cell survival following spinal cord injury. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69286 pubmed publisher..Understanding p45-mediated cellular and molecular mechanisms may provide insights into facilitating nerve regeneration in humans. ..
- Le Niculescu H, Bonfoco E, Kasuya Y, Claret F, Green D, Karin M. Withdrawal of survival factors results in activation of the JNK pathway in neuronal cells leading to Fas ligand induction and cell death. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:751-63 pubmed..Hence, the JNK-to-c-Jun-to-FasL pathway is an important mediator of stress-induced neuronal apoptosis. ..
- Song H, Stevens C, Gage F. Astroglia induce neurogenesis from adult neural stem cells. Nature. 2002;417:39-44 pubmed
- Banares S, Zeh K, Krajewska M, Kermer P, Baribault H, Reed J, et al. Novel pan-neuronal Cre-transgenic line for conditional ablation of genes in the nervous system. Genesis. 2005;42:6-16 pubmed..Thus, our transgenic CRE3 mice provide pan-neuronal expression of CRE for carrying out conditional deletion of genes in neurons and their progenitors. ..
- Dunn T, Feller M. Imaging second messenger dynamics in developing neural circuits. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:835-44 pubmed publisher..We review the latest techniques in imaging this specific second messenger cascade, its intimate relationship with changes in intracellular calcium concentration, and several hypotheses regarding its role in neurodevelopment. ..
- Xu L, Voloboueva L, Ouyang Y, Emery J, Giffard R. Overexpression of mitochondrial Hsp70/Hsp75 in rat brain protects mitochondria, reduces oxidative stress, and protects from focal ischemia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2009;29:365-74 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting mitochondria for protection may be a useful strategy to reduce ischemic brain injury. ..
- Pang Z, Yang N, Vierbuchen T, Ostermeier A, Fuentes D, Yang T, et al. Induction of human neuronal cells by defined transcription factors. Nature. 2011;476:220-3 pubmed publisher..These methods may facilitate robust generation of patient-specific human neurons for in vitro disease modelling or future applications in regenerative medicine. ..
- Shen B, Xiang Z, Miller B, Louie G, Wang W, Noel J, et al. Genetically encoding unnatural amino acids in neural stem cells and optically reporting voltage-sensitive domain changes in differentiated neurons. Stem Cells. 2011;29:1231-40 pubmed publisher..The method described here should be generally applicable to other stem cells and membrane proteins. ..
- Goodman M, Lindsay T, Lockery S, Richmond J. Electrophysiological methods for Caenorhabditis elegans neurobiology. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;107:409-36 pubmed publisher..We also present samples of the cell-intrinsic and postsynaptic ionic currents that can be measured in C. elegans nerves and muscles. ..
- Spitzer N. Activity-dependent neurotransmitter respecification. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012;13:94-106 pubmed publisher..Activation of this novel form of plasticity by sensorimotor stimuli may provide clinical benefits. ..
- Hsu K, Tsuboi K, Adibekian A, Pugh H, Masuda K, Cravatt B. DAGL? inhibition perturbs a lipid network involved in macrophage inflammatory responses. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:999-1007 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that DAGL? is a key metabolic hub within a lipid network that regulates proinflammatory responses in macrophages. ..
- Land B, Narayanan N, Liu R, Gianessi C, Brayton C, Grimaldi D, et al. Medial prefrontal D1 dopamine neurons control food intake. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:248-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, photostimulating these axons in the mBLA is sufficient to increase feeding, recapitulating the effects of mPFC D1 stimulation. These data describe a new circuit for top-down control of food intake. ..
- Kuhn H, Dickinson Anson H, Gage F. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat: age-related decrease of neuronal progenitor proliferation. J Neurosci. 1996;16:2027-33 pubmed..g., hilus and lateral ventricle wall). The decline in neurogenesis that occurs throughout the lifespan of an animal can thus be related to a decreasing proliferation of granule cell precursors. ..
- Sailer A, Swanson G, Perez Otano I, O Leary L, Malkmus S, Dyck R, et al. Generation and analysis of GluR5(Q636R) kainate receptor mutant mice. J Neurosci. 1999;19:8757-64 pubmed..Our investigations with the GluR5-editing mutant mice have therefore defined a set of physiological processes in which editing of the GluR5 subunit is unlikely to play an important role. ..
- Vucinic D, Sejnowski T. A compact multiphoton 3D imaging system for recording fast neuronal activity. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e699 pubmed..The software and firmware we developed is available for download at http://neurospy.org/ under an open source license. ..
- Bishop K, Garel S, Nakagawa Y, Rubenstein J, O Leary D. Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate cortical size, lamination, neuronal differentiation, development of cortical efferents, and thalamocortical pathfinding. J Comp Neurol. 2003;457:345-60 pubmed..The more severe phenotypes in Emx double mutants suggest that Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate multiple features of cortical development. ..
- Wurmser A, Nakashima K, Summers R, Toni N, D Amour K, Lie D, et al. Cell fusion-independent differentiation of neural stem cells to the endothelial lineage. Nature. 2004;430:350-6 pubmed..We conclude that stem-cell plasticity is a true characteristic of NSCs and that the conversion of NSCs to unanticipated cell types can be accomplished without cell fusion. ..
- Mucke L, Abraham C, Ruppe M, Rockenstein E, Toggas S, Mallory M, et al. Protection against HIV-1 gp120-induced brain damage by neuronal expression of human amyloid precursor protein. J Exp Med. 1995;181:1551-6 pubmed..Hence, molecules that mimic beneficial APP activities may be useful in the prevention/treatment of HIV-1-associated nervous system damage and, perhaps, also of other types of neural injury. ..
- Jung J, Kim G, Narasimhan P, Song Y, Chan P. Regulation of Mn-superoxide dismutase activity and neuroprotection by STAT3 in mice after cerebral ischemia. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7003-14 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that STAT3 is a novel transcription factor of the mouse Mn-SOD gene and plays a crucial role as a neuroprotectant in regulating levels of reactive oxygen species in the mouse brain. ..
- Belvindrah R, Hankel S, Walker J, Patton B, Muller U. Beta1 integrins control the formation of cell chains in the adult rostral migratory stream. J Neurosci. 2007;27:2704-17 pubmed..In addition, we provide evidence that beta1 class integrins are required for the maintenance of the glial tubes and that defects in the glial tubes lead to the ectopic migration of neuroblasts into the surrounding tissue. ..
- Luu P, Malenka R. Spike timing-dependent long-term potentiation in ventral tegmental area dopamine cells requires PKC. J Neurophysiol. 2008;100:533-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NMDAR-mediated activation of PKC, but not CaMKII, is a critical trigger for LTP in VTA DA cells. ..
- Ruiz S, Brennand K, Panopoulos A, Herrerias A, Gage F, Izpisua Belmonte J. High-efficient generation of induced pluripotent stem cells from human astrocytes. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15526 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrates that a human differentiated neural cell type can be reprogrammed to pluripotency and is consistent with the universality of the somatic reprogramming procedure...
- Nakanishi N, Ryan S, Zhang X, Khan A, Holland T, Cho E, et al. Synaptic protein ?1-takusan mitigates amyloid-?-induced synaptic loss via interaction with tau and postsynaptic density-95 at postsynaptic sites. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14170-83 pubmed publisher..In summary, ?1-takusan protects synapses from A?-induced insult via interaction with PSD-95 and tau. Thus, takusan-based protein sequences from either mouse or human may be of potential therapeutic benefit in AD. ..
- Szucs A, Pinto R, Rabinovich M, Abarbanel H, Selverston A. Synaptic modulation of the interspike interval signatures of bursting pyloric neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2003;89:1363-77 pubmed..The present data also suggest a way of processing of synaptic information: bursting neurons are capable of encoding incoming signals by altering the fine structure of their intraburst spike patterns. ..
- Oyler G, Higgins G, Hart R, Battenberg E, Billingsley M, Bloom F, et al. The identification of a novel synaptosomal-associated protein, SNAP-25, differentially expressed by neuronal subpopulations. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:3039-52 pubmed..The distribution of the SNAP-25 mRNA and the association of the protein with presynaptic elements suggest that SNAP-25 may play an important role in the synaptic function of specific neuronal systems. ..
- Law R, Lightstone F. Modeling neuronal nicotinic and GABA receptors: important interface salt-links and protein dynamics. Biophys J. 2009;97:1586-94 pubmed publisher..We hope that these hypotheses will be tested experimentally in the near future. ..