Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neural crest in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: neural crest
- Xie W, Li Z, Shi N, Guo X, Tang J, Ju W, et al. Smad2 and myocardin-related transcription factor B cooperatively regulate vascular smooth muscle differentiation from neural crest cells. Circ Res. 2013;113:e76-86 pubmed publisher..Vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) differentiation from neural crest cells (NCCs) is critical for cardiovascular development, but the mechanisms remain largely unknown...
- Holmes G, Basilico C. Mesodermal expression of Fgfr2S252W is necessary and sufficient to induce craniosynostosis in a mouse model of Apert syndrome. Dev Biol. 2012;368:283-93 pubmed publisher..We eliminate postulated roles for dura mater or skull base changes in craniosynostosis. The viability of conditionally mutant mice also allows post-natal assessment of other aspects of Apert syndrome. ..
- Mittal A, Pulina M, Hou S, Astrof S. Fibronectin and integrin alpha 5 play essential roles in the development of the cardiac neural crest. Mech Dev. 2010;127:472-84 pubmed publisher..However, we found that FN and integrin ?5 modulate CNC proliferation and survival, and are required for the presence of normal numbers of CNC cells at their destinations. ..
- He F, Soriano P. A critical role for PDGFR? signaling in medial nasal process development. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003851 pubmed publisher..We thus establish PDGFR? as a novel regulator of MNP development and elucidate the roles of its downstream signaling pathways at cellular and molecular levels. ..
- D Autréaux F, Morikawa Y, Cserjesi P, Gershon M. Hand2 is necessary for terminal differentiation of enteric neurons from crest-derived precursors but not for their migration into the gut or for formation of glia. Development. 2007;134:2237-49 pubmed..We suggest that enteric neuronal development occurs in stages and that Hand2 expression is required for terminal differentiation but not for precursors to enter the neuronal lineage. ..
- Todorovic V, Frendewey D, Gutstein D, Chen Y, Freyer L, Finnegan E, et al. Long form of latent TGF-beta binding protein 1 (Ltbp1L) is essential for cardiac outflow tract septation and remodeling. Development. 2007;134:3723-32 pubmed..This phenotype reveals a crucial role for Ltbp1L and matrix as extracellular regulators of Tgf-beta activity in heart organogenesis. ..
- Rothman T, Goldowitz D, Gershon M. Inhibition of migration of neural crest-derived cells by the abnormal mesenchyme of the presumptive aganglionic bowel of ls/ls mice: analysis with aggregation and interspecies chimeras. Dev Biol. 1993;159:559-73 pubmed..This failure of colonization may be related to the premature formation of neurons outside the abnormal gut, a response that may be promoted by the excessive secretion of laminin by the ls/ls enteric mesenchyme. ..
- Liu S, Liu F, Schneider A, St Amand T, Epstein J, Gutstein D. Distinct cardiac malformations caused by absence of connexin 43 in the neural crest and in the non-crest neural tube. Development. 2006;133:2063-73 pubmed..Rather, this study suggests a novel function for Cx43 in which Cx43 acts through non-crest neuroepithelial cells to suppress cellular delamination from the neural tube and thereby preserve normal OFT development. ..
- Pünzeler S, Link S, Wagner G, Keilhauer E, Kronbeck N, Spitzer R, et al. Multivalent binding of PWWP2A to H2A.Z regulates mitosis and neural crest differentiation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2263-2279 pubmed publisher..Thus, PWWP2A is a novel H2A.Z-specific multivalent chromatin binder providing a surprising link between H2A.Z, chromosome segregation, and organ development. ..
- Garg A, Bansal M, Gotoh N, Feng G, Zhong J, Wang F, et al. Alx4 relays sequential FGF signaling to induce lacrimal gland morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007047 pubmed publisher..Inactivation of ALX4/Alx4 causes lacrimal gland aplasia in both human and mouse. These results reveal a key role of Alx4 in mediating FGF-Shp2-FGF signaling in the neural crest for lacrimal gland development. ..
- Gershon M. Neural crest development. Do developing enteric neurons need endothelins?. Curr Biol. 1995;5:601-4 pubmed..Recent experiments have led to the unexpected finding that endothelin-3 and the endothelin B receptor are absolutely necessary for the development of the enteric nervous system in the colon, but it is not yet clear why. ..
- Brewster R, Lee J, Ruiz i Altaba A. Gli/Zic factors pattern the neural plate by defining domains of cell differentiation. Nature. 1998;393:579-83 pubmed..We propose that the combined function of Gli/Zic genes responds to inductive signals and induces patterned neural cell differentiation. ..
- CHALAZONITIS A, D Autréaux F, Guha U, Pham T, Faure C, Chen J, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -4 limit the number of enteric neurons but promote development of a TrkC-expressing neurotrophin-3-dependent subset. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4266-82 pubmed..BMP-2 and/or BMP-4 thus limit the size of the ENS but promote the development of specific subsets of enteric neurons, including those that express TrkC. ..
- Tanaka H, Abe K, Kim C. Cloning and expression of the quaking gene in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 1997;69:209-13 pubmed..The insertion of the 123 nucleotide sequence could be related to the acquisition of a neural function for the gene. ..
- Chalazonitis A, Rothman T, Chen J, Vinson E, MacLennan A, Gershon M. Promotion of the development of enteric neurons and glia by neuropoietic cytokines: interactions with neurotrophin-3. Dev Biol. 1998;198:343-65 pubmed..These observations support the idea that a ligand for the tripartite CNTF receptor complex plays a role in ENS development. ..
- Liu J, Jessell T. A role for rhoB in the delamination of neural crest cells from the dorsal neural tube. Development. 1998;125:5055-67 pubmed..These results suggest that rhoB has a role in the delamination of neural crest cells from the dorsal neural tube. ..
- Lee G, Ramirez C, Kim H, Zeltner N, Liu B, Radu C, et al. Large-scale screening using familial dysautonomia induced pluripotent stem cells identifies compounds that rescue IKBKAP expression. Nat Biotechnol. 2012;30:1244-8 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate alpha-2 adrenergic receptor activity in regulating IKBKAP expression and demonstrate that small-molecule discovery using an iPSC-based disease model can identify candidate drugs for potential therapeutic intervention. ..
- Gray J, Nakouzi G, Slowinska Castaldo B, Dazard J, Rao J, Nadeau J, et al. Functional interactions between the LRP6 WNT co-receptor and folate supplementation. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:4560-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that FA supplementation rescues Lrp6(Cd/Cd) fetuses by normalizing hyperactive WNT activity, whereas in LRP6-deficient embryos, added FA further attenuates reduced WNT activity, thereby compromising development. ..
- Satoda M, Zhao F, Diaz G, Burn J, Goodship J, Davidson H, et al. Mutations in TFAP2B cause Char syndrome, a familial form of patent ductus arteriosus. Nat Genet. 2000;25:42-6 pubmed..Our work shows that TFAP2B has a role in ductal, facial and limb development and suggests that Char syndrome results from derangement of neural-crest-cell derivatives. ..
- Zhou X, Anderson K. Development of head organizer of the mouse embryo depends on a high level of mitochondrial metabolism. Dev Biol. 2010;344:185-95 pubmed publisher..We suggest that a requirement for high levels of ATP for early forebrain patterning may contribute to certain human microcephaly syndromes...
- Jiang Y, Liu M, Gershon M. Netrins and DCC in the guidance of migrating neural crest-derived cells in the developing bowel and pancreas. Dev Biol. 2003;258:364-84 pubmed..Netrins also promoted the survival/development of enteric crest-derived cells. The formation of submucosal and pancreatic ganglia thus involves the attraction of DCC-expressing crest-derived cells by netrins. ..
- Manova K, Bachvarova R. Expression of c-kit encoded at the W locus of mice in developing embryonic germ cells and presumptive melanoblasts. Dev Biol. 1991;146:312-24 pubmed..1990). Development 110, 1057-1069]. In melanoblasts, c-kit may play a role during both proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Cheung N, Dyer M. Neuroblastoma: developmental biology, cancer genomics and immunotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2013;13:397-411 pubmed publisher..In this Review we discuss the key discoveries in the developmental biology, molecular genetics and immunology of neuroblastoma, as well as new translational tools for bringing these promising scientific advances into the clinic. ..
- Qu J, Li X, Novitch B, Zheng Y, Kohn M, Xie J, et al. PAK4 kinase is essential for embryonic viability and for proper neuronal development. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7122-33 pubmed..PAK4-null embryos also had defects in proper folding of the caudal portion of the neural tube, suggesting an important role for PAK4 in neural tube development. ..
- Gershon M. Developmental determinants of the independence and complexity of the enteric nervous system. Trends Neurosci. 2010;33:446-56 pubmed publisher..It is probable that highly prevalent disorders of gastrointestinal sensation and motility result from subtle defects in ENS development. ..
- CHALAZONITIS A, D Autréaux F, Pham T, Kessler J, Gershon M. Bone morphogenetic proteins regulate enteric gliogenesis by modulating ErbB3 signaling. Dev Biol. 2011;350:64-79 pubmed publisher..These observations support the hypotheses that BMPs are required for enteric gliogenesis and act by promoting responsiveness of ENCDC to ErbB3 ligands such as GGF2. ..
- Ossipova O, Sokol S. Neural crest specification by noncanonical Wnt signaling and PAR-1. Development. 2011;138:5441-50 pubmed publisher..These experiments identify novel roles for Wnt11R and PAR-1 in NC specification and reveal an unexpected connection between morphogenesis and cell fate...
- CHALAZONITIS A, Kessler J. Pleiotropic effects of the bone morphogenetic proteins on development of the enteric nervous system. Dev Neurobiol. 2012;72:843-56 pubmed publisher..Disruption of BMP signaling leads to defects in the gut and in ENS function commensurate with these complex developmental roles. ..
- Wu J, Chen J, Rothman T, Gershon M. Inhibition of in vitro enteric neuronal development by endothelin-3: mediation by endothelin B receptors. Development. 1999;126:1161-73 pubmed
- Mica Y, Lee G, Chambers S, Tomishima M, Studer L. Modeling neural crest induction, melanocyte specification, and disease-related pigmentation defects in hESCs and patient-specific iPSCs. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1140-52 pubmed publisher..Our data define a highly specific requirement for WNT signaling during NC induction and enable the generation of pure populations of human iPSC-derived melanocytes for faithful modeling of pigmentation disorders...
- Wang W, Lo P, Frasch M, Lufkin T. Hmx: an evolutionary conserved homeobox gene family expressed in the developing nervous system in mice and Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2000;99:123-37 pubmed
- Chalazonitis A, Pham T, Rothman T, DiStefano P, Bothwell M, Blair Flynn J, et al. Neurotrophin-3 is required for the survival-differentiation of subsets of developing enteric neurons. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5620-36 pubmed..A neuropoietic cytokine (CNTF) interacted with NT-3 in vitro, and if applied sequentially, compensated for NT-3 withdrawal. These observations indicate that NT-3 is required for the normal development of the ENS. ..
- Chang C, Hemmati Brivanlou A. Neural crest induction by Xwnt7B in Xenopus. Dev Biol. 1998;194:129-34 pubmed..In vivo, Xwnt7B expands the Xtwist expression domain when injected in the animal pole. Our results suggest that Wnt members are involved in dorsoventral patterning of the neural tube. ..