Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on nerve growth factor receptors in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: nerve growth factor receptors
- Kong H, Boulter J, Weber J, Lai C, Chao M. An evolutionarily conserved transmembrane protein that is a novel downstream target of neurotrophin and ephrin receptors. J Neurosci. 2001;21:176-85 pubmed
- Ye H, Park Y, Kreishman M, Kieff E, Wu H. The structural basis for the recognition of diverse receptor sequences by TRAF2. Mol Cell. 1999;4:321-30 pubmed..The structural information provides a template for the further dissection of receptor binding specificity of TRAF2 and for the understanding of the complexity of TRAF-mediated signal transduction. ..
- Dikic I, Batzer A, Blaikie P, Obermeier A, Ullrich A, Schlessinger J, et al. Shc binding to nerve growth factor receptor is mediated by the phosphotyrosine interaction domain. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15125-9 pubmed..The ability of Shc to interact with different tyrosine-phosphorylated proteins via its PI and SH2 domains may allow Shc to play a unique role in tyrosine kinase signal transduction pathways. ..
- Hempstead B, Martin Zanca D, Kaplan D, Parada L, Chao M. High-affinity NGF binding requires coexpression of the trk proto-oncogene and the low-affinity NGF receptor. Nature. 1991;350:678-83 pubmed..These studies reveal a new growth factor receptor-mediated mechanism of cellular differentiation involving trk and the low-affinity NGF receptor. ..
- Lee R, Kermani P, Teng K, Hempstead B. Regulation of cell survival by secreted proneurotrophins. Science. 2001;294:1945-8 pubmed..The biological action of neurotrophins is thus regulated by proteolytic cleavage, with proforms preferentially activating p75NTR to mediate apoptosis and mature forms activating Trk receptors to promote survival. ..
- Domeniconi M, Zampieri N, Spencer T, Hilaire M, Mellado W, Chao M, et al. MAG induces regulated intramembrane proteolysis of the p75 neurotrophin receptor to inhibit neurite outgrowth. Neuron. 2005;46:849-55 pubmed
- Musatov S, Roberts J, Brooks A, Pena J, Betchen S, Pfaff D, et al. Inhibition of neuronal phenotype by PTEN in PC12 cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:3627-31 pubmed..Our findings may shed new light on the role of this tumor suppressor during normal brain development and suggest a previously uncharacterized mechanism of PTEN action in neuron-like cells. ..
- Curtis R, Adryan K, Stark J, Park J, Compton D, Weskamp G, et al. Differential role of the low affinity neurotrophin receptor (p75) in retrograde axonal transport of the neurotrophins. Neuron. 1995;14:1201-11 pubmed..These observations demonstrate a selective role for LNR in retrograde transport of the various neurotrophins from distinct target regions in vivo. ..
- Conover J, Erickson J, Katz D, Bianchi L, Poueymirou W, McClain J, et al. Neuronal deficits, not involving motor neurons, in mice lacking BDNF and/or NT4. Nature. 1995;375:235-8 pubmed..Motor neurons, whose numbers are drastically reduced in mice lacking TrkB, are not affected even in mice lacking both BDNF and NT4. These results suggest that another ligand, perhaps NT3, does indeed act on TrkB in vivo. ..
- Mukai J, Shoji S, Kimura M, Okubo S, Sano H, Suvanto P, et al. Structure-function analysis of NADE: identification of regions that mediate nerve growth factor-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13973-82 pubmed..These studies identify distinct regions of NADE that are involved in regulating specific functions involved in p75NTR signal transduction. ..
- Thomson T, Rettig W, Chesa P, Green S, Mena A, Old L. Expression of human nerve growth factor receptor on cells derived from all three germ layers. Exp Cell Res. 1988;174:533-9 pubmed..Thus, our findings demonstrate that NGFR is much more widely expressed in human cells and tissues than was previously thought. ..
- Chittka A, Chao M. Identification of a zinc finger protein whose subcellular distribution is regulated by serum and nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10705-10 pubmed..A direct correlation between nuclear expression of SC-1 with the loss of BrdUrd incorporation was observed. These results imply that SC-1 may be involved in events associated with growth arrest. ..
- Volonte C, Angelastro J, Greene L. Association of protein kinases ERK1 and ERK2 with p75 nerve growth factor receptors. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:21410-5 pubmed..These findings indicate that NGF, via activation of gp140prototrk, leads to association of enzymatically active ERKs with p75 and raise the possibility that this interaction may play a role in the NGF mechanism of action. ..
- Volonte C, Ross A, Greene L. Association of a purine-analogue-sensitive protein kinase activity with p75 nerve growth factor receptors. Mol Biol Cell. 1993;4:71-8 pubmed..This activity shares many similarities but also displays some significant differences with cytosolic PKN. Our findings therefore indicate the association of a purine-analogue-sensitive protein kinase with p75 NGF receptors. ..
- Rice F, Albers K, Davis B, Silos Santiago I, Wilkinson G, LeMaster A, et al. Differential dependency of unmyelinated and A delta epidermal and upper dermal innervation on neurotrophins, trk receptors, and p75LNGFR. Dev Biol. 1998;198:57-81 pubmed
- Parkhurst C, Zampieri N, Chao M. Nuclear localization of the p75 neurotrophin receptor intracellular domain. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:5361-8 pubmed publisher..Expression of the p75 ICD resulted in modulation of gene expression from this locus. These results suggest that the p75 ICD generated by gamma-secretase cleavage is capable of modulating transcriptional events in the nucleus. ..
- Gallardo H, Tan C, Ory D, Sadelain M. Recombinant retroviruses pseudotyped with the vesicular stomatitis virus G glycoprotein mediate both stable gene transfer and pseudotransduction in human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Blood. 1997;90:952-7 pubmed..Nonetheless, the physical stability of VSV-G-coated particles enables the concentration of viral stocks to 10(9) infectious particles per milliliter or more...
- Khursigara G, Orlinick J, Chao M. Association of the p75 neurotrophin receptor with TRAF6. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:2597-600 pubmed..These results indicate that TRAF6 can potentially function as a signal transducer for NGF actions through the p75 receptor. ..
- Weskamp G, Schlondorff J, Lum L, Becherer J, Kim T, Saftig P, et al. Evidence for a critical role of the tumor necrosis factor alpha convertase (TACE) in ectodomain shedding of the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:4241-9 pubmed..Because ectodomain shedding of p75NTR releases a soluble ectodomain and could also be a prerequisite for its regulated intramembrane proteolysis, these findings may have important implications for the functional regulation of p75NTR. ..
- Chalazonitis A, Rothman T, Chen J, Vinson E, MacLennan A, Gershon M. Promotion of the development of enteric neurons and glia by neuropoietic cytokines: interactions with neurotrophin-3. Dev Biol. 1998;198:343-65 pubmed..These observations support the idea that a ligand for the tripartite CNTF receptor complex plays a role in ENS development. ..
- Cohen A, Diab A, Perales M, Wolchok J, Rizzuto G, Merghoub T, et al. Agonist anti-GITR antibody enhances vaccine-induced CD8(+) T-cell responses and tumor immunity. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4904-12 pubmed..Finally, this effect on vaccine-induced CD8(+) T-cell responses was partially independent of CD4(+) T cells (both helper and regulatory), consistent with a direct costimulatory effect on the effector CD8(+) cells themselves. ..
- Chang M, Arevalo J, Chao M. Ternary complex with Trk, p75, and an ankyrin-rich membrane spanning protein. J Neurosci Res. 2004;78:186-92 pubmed..These findings thus suggest that Kidins220/ARMS plays an important role in regulating interactions between Trk and p75 neurotrophin receptors. ..
- Cunningham M, Stephens R, Kaplan D, Greene L. Autophosphorylation of activation loop tyrosines regulates signaling by the TRK nerve growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:10957-67 pubmed
- Zampieri N, Xu C, Neubert T, Chao M. Cleavage of p75 neurotrophin receptor by alpha-secretase and gamma-secretase requires specific receptor domains. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14563-71 pubmed..Mass spectrometric analysis confirmed the cleavage can occur with a truncated p75(NTR) displaying only 15 extracellular amino acids in the stalk region. ..
- Gao Y, Nikulina E, Mellado W, Filbin M. Neurotrophins elevate cAMP to reach a threshold required to overcome inhibition by MAG through extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent inhibition of phosphodiesterase. J Neurosci. 2003;23:11770-7 pubmed..Together, these results not only show how NGF-like neurotrophins can elevate cAMP and overcome inhibition but also point to a novel mechanism of cross talk in neurons from the Erk to the cAMP signaling pathways. ..
- Spencer J, Waters E, Milner T, McEwen B. Estrous cycle regulates activation of hippocampal Akt, LIM kinase, and neurotrophin receptors in C57BL/6 mice. Neuroscience. 2008;155:1106-19 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that endogenous estradiol and progesterone produced by the ovaries modulate specific signaling pathways governing actin remodeling, cell excitability, and synapse formation. ..
- Chao M. Neurotrophin receptors: a window into neuronal differentiation. Neuron. 1992;9:583-93 pubmed
- Lin J, Saito T, Anderson D, Lance Jones C, Jessell T, Arber S. Functionally related motor neuron pool and muscle sensory afferent subtypes defined by coordinate ETS gene expression. Cell. 1998;95:393-407 pubmed..ETS genes may therefore participate in the development of selective sensory-motor circuits in the spinal cord. ..
- Rudge J, Li Y, Pasnikowski E, Mattsson K, Pan L, Yancopoulos G, et al. Neurotrophic factor receptors and their signal transduction capabilities in rat astrocytes. Eur J Neurosci. 1994;6:693-705 pubmed..Thus, the neurotrophin receptors may act primarily to sequester or present the neurotrophins, whereas in the case of CNTF a functional response can be initiated within the astrocyte. ..
- DeChiara T, Vejsada R, Poueymirou W, Acheson A, Suri C, Conover J, et al. Mice lacking the CNTF receptor, unlike mice lacking CNTF, exhibit profound motor neuron deficits at birth. Cell. 1995;83:313-22 pubmed..Thus, CNTFR alpha is critical for the developing nervous system, most likely by serving as a receptor for a second, developmentally important, CNTF-like ligand. ..
- Loeb D, Tsao H, Cobb M, Greene L. NGF and other growth factors induce an association between ERK1 and the NGF receptor, gp140prototrk. Neuron. 1992;9:1053-65 pubmed..The interaction between ERK1 and gp140prototrk may prove relevant to the NGF mechanism. ..
- Teng H, Teng K, Lee R, Wright S, Tevar S, Almeida R, et al. ProBDNF induces neuronal apoptosis via activation of a receptor complex of p75NTR and sortilin. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5455-63 pubmed..Together with our past findings, these data suggest that the neurotrophin family is capable of modulating diverse biological processes via differential processing of the proneurotrophins. ..
- Murray S, Perez P, Lee R, Hempstead B, Chao M. A novel p75 neurotrophin receptor-related protein, NRH2, regulates nerve growth factor binding to the TrkA receptor. J Neurosci. 2004;24:2742-9 pubmed..Coexpression of NRH2 with TrkA receptors resulted in the formation of high-affinity binding sites for NGF. These results indicate that a transmembrane protein related to p75NTR is capable of modulating Trk receptor binding properties. ..
- Jung K, Tan S, Landman N, Petrova K, Murray S, Lewis R, et al. Regulated intramembrane proteolysis of the p75 neurotrophin receptor modulates its association with the TrkA receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42161-9 pubmed
- Yan K, Kuti M, Yan S, Mujtaba S, Farooq A, Goldfarb M, et al. FRS2 PTB domain conformation regulates interactions with divergent neurotrophic receptors. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17088-94 pubmed..Together, our new findings support a molecular mechanism by which conformational dynamics of the FRS2alpha PTB domain dictates its association with either fibroblast growth factor or neurotrophin receptors in neuronal development. ..
- Michaelson M, Mehler M, Xu H, Gross R, Kessler J. Interleukin-7 is trophic for embryonic neurons and is expressed in developing brain. Dev Biol. 1996;179:251-63 pubmed
- Kraemer R. Reduced apoptosis and increased lesion development in the flow-restricted carotid artery of p75(NTR)-null mutant mice. Circ Res. 2002;91:494-500 pubmed..These results further implicate p75(NTR) as an important regulator of smooth muscle cell apoptosis and lesion development after vascular injury. ..
- Valenzuela D, Rojas E, Le Beau M, Espinosa R, Brannan C, McClain J, et al. Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of the human and mouse genes encoding the alpha receptor component for ciliary neurotrophic factor. Genomics. 1995;25:157-63 pubmed..Confirming a recent study using radiation hybrids, we have also mapped the human CNTFR gene to chromosome band 9p13 and the mouse gene to a syntenic region of chromosome 4. ..
- McDonald N, Panayotatos N, Hendrickson W. Crystal structure of dimeric human ciliary neurotrophic factor determined by MAD phasing. EMBO J. 1995;14:2689-99 pubmed..However, it is unlikely that they play a role in engaging the three distinct receptor subunits that comprise the CNTF receptor, given the low concentration of extracellular CNTF and its high potency. ..
- Zhang D, Mehler M, Song Q, Kessler J. Development of bone morphogenetic protein receptors in the nervous system and possible roles in regulating trkC expression. J Neurosci. 1998;18:3314-26 pubmed