Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular sequence data in Illinois, United States
Locale: Illinois, United States
Topic: molecular sequence data
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Olson M, Scott E, Hack A, Su G, Tenen D, Singh H, et al. PU. 1 is not essential for early myeloid gene expression but is required for terminal myeloid differentiation. Immunity. 1995;3:703-14 pubmed..1-/- ES cells. Development of macrophages is restored with the introduction of a PU.1 cDNA regulated by its own promoter. The PU.1-/- ES cells represent an important model for analyzing myeloid cell development. ..
- Wu R, Zhang R, Zagnitko O, Dementieva I, Maltzev N, Watson J, et al. Crystal structure of Enterococcus faecalis SlyA-like transcriptional factor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20240-4 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analysis of the MarR/SlyA family suggests that Sly is placed between the SlyA and MarR subfamilies and shows significant sequence similarity to members of both subfamilies...
- Bluestone J, Jameson S, Miller S, Dick R. Peptide-induced conformational changes in class I heavy chains alter major histocompatibility complex recognition. J Exp Med. 1992;176:1757-61 pubmed..The nature of specific peptides expressed by class I-bearing cells may, therefore, have a dramatic influence on T cell development, self-tolerance, and alloreactivity...
- Suzuki K, Olvera J, Wool I. Primary structure of rat ribosomal protein S2. A ribosomal protein with arginine-glycine tandem repeats and RGGF motifs that are associated with nucleolar localization and binding to ribonucleic acids. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:20007-10 pubmed
- Seino S, Seino M, Bell G. Human insulin-receptor gene. Partial sequence and amplification of exons by polymerase chain reaction. Diabetes. 1990;39:123-8 pubmed
- Roos R, Stein S, Ohara Y, Fu J, Semler B. Infectious cDNA clones of the DA strain of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. J Virol. 1989;63:5492-6 pubmed..The infectious clone provides a critical reagent for the production of interstrain recombinant viruses to help identify genetic loci responsible for the biological activities of the strains. ..
- Storts D, Markovitz A. Construction and characterization of mutations in hupB, the gene encoding HU-beta (HU-1) in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:1541-7 pubmed
- Qian F, Chan S, Achkar C, Steiner D, Frankfater A. Transcriptional regulation of cathepsin B expression in B16 melanomas of varying metastatic potential. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;202:429-36 pubmed..The ability of the human CB promoter to activate gene expression in B16a melanoma cells suggests similarities in the regulation of CB expression in tumors from humans and mice. ..
- Stoffel M, Espinosa R, Le Beau M, Bell G. Human glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor gene. Localization to chromosome band 6p21 by fluorescence in situ hybridization and linkage of a highly polymorphic simple tandem repeat DNA polymorphism to other markers on chromosome 6. Diabetes. 1993;42:1215-8 pubmed..This DNA polymorphism will facilitate genetic studies of the contribution of the GLP-1 receptor gene to impaired beta-cell function and NIDDM. ..
- Stoffel M, Bell K, Blackburn C, Powell K, Seo T, Takeda J, et al. Identification of glucokinase mutations in subjects with gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes. 1993;42:937-40 pubmed..Among 40 subjects, we identified two mutations, suggesting a prevalence of approximately 5% in this group. Extrapolating from this result, the prevalence of glucokinase-deficient NIDDM among Americans may be approximately 1 in 2500. ..
- Tullis A, Block B. Expression of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase isoforms in marlin and swordfish muscle and heater cells. Am J Physiol. 1996;271:R262-75 pubmed..Expression of the fast SR Ca(2+)-ATPase by heater cells has implications for heater cell origin and thermogenic control. ..
- Bonini J, Anderson S, Steiner D. Molecular cloning and tissue expression of a novel orphan G protein-coupled receptor from rat lung. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;234:190-3 pubmed..No GPR41 message was seen in spleen, liver, or testes. GPR41 failed to bind any of the ligands tested. ..
- Li S, Hochstrasser M. A new protease required for cell-cycle progression in yeast. Nature. 1999;398:246-51 pubmed..The pattern of Smt3-coupled proteins in yeast changes markedly throughout the cell cycle, and specific conjugates accumulate in ulp1 mutants. Ulp1 has several functions, including an essential role in the G2/M phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Ludwig M, Bergman C, Patel N, Kreitman M. Evidence for stabilizing selection in a eukaryotic enhancer element. Nature. 2000;403:564-7 pubmed..Sequence differences between species have functional consequences, therefore, but they are masked by other co-evolved differences. On the basis of these results, we present a model for the evolution of eukaryotic regulatory sequences. ..
- Shibusawa N, Hollenberg A, Wondisford F. Thyroid hormone receptor DNA binding is required for both positive and negative gene regulation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:732-8 pubmed..These data do not support a DNA-binding independent mechanism for thyroid hormone negative regulation in the H-P-T axis. ..
- Llopart A, Lachaise D, Coyne J. Multilocus analysis of introgression between two sympatric sister species of Drosophila: Drosophila yakuba and D. santomea. Genetics. 2005;171:197-210 pubmed..g., pigmentation and male genitalia). ..
- Chiu C, Singh S, de Pablo J. Effect of proline mutations on the monomer conformations of amylin. Biophys J. 2013;105:1227-35 pubmed publisher..More importantly, we find that all three proline substitutions of pramlintide are required to inhibit ? conformations and stabilize the ?-helical conformation. Fewer substitutions do not have a significant inhibiting effect. ..
- Fuchs E, Coulombe P. Of mice and men: genetic skin diseases of keratin. Cell. 1992;69:899-902 pubmed
- Lin A, Chan Y, Jones R, Wool I. The primary structure of rat ribosomal protein S12. The relationship of rat S12 to other ribosomal proteins and a correlation of the amino acid sequences of rat and yeast ribosomal proteins. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:14343-51 pubmed..These, and other results, reinforce the suggestion that ribosomal proteins form an extended family. ..
- Holley S, Neul J, Attisano L, Wrana J, Sasai Y, O Connor M, et al. The Xenopus dorsalizing factor noggin ventralizes Drosophila embryos by preventing DPP from activating its receptor. Cell. 1996;86:607-17 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanistic basis for the action of Spemann's organizer during Xenopus development and provide further support for the conservation of dorsal-ventral patterning mechanisms between arthropods and chordates. ..
- Stols L, Donnelly M. Production of succinic acid through overexpression of NAD(+)-dependent malic enzyme in an Escherichia coli mutant. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1997;63:2695-701 pubmed..The constructed pathway represents an alternative metabolic route for the fermentative production of dicarboxylic acids from renewable feedstocks. ..
- Baskaran K, Erfurth F, Taborn G, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Cloning and developmental expression of the murine homolog of the acute leukemia proto-oncogene AF4. Oncogene. 1997;15:1967-78 pubmed..Among the cell types where this pattern of down-regulation is noted are B-lymphocytes. These findings raise the possibility that the disruption of normal AF4 function by the translocation may contribute to leukemogenesis. ..
- McCreary V, Kartha S, Bell G, Toback F. Sequence of a human kidney cDNA clone encoding thymosin beta 10. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;152:862-6 pubmed..The abundance of the 2.4 kb transcript was markedly increased one hour after serum stimulation and declined progressively to a basal value at 24 hours. ..
- Zhou L, Hui F, Morrison D. Characterization of IS1167, a new insertion sequence in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Plasmid. 1995;33:127-38 pubmed
- Chan Y, Olvera J, Wool I. The primary structures of rat ribosomal proteins: the characterization of the cDNAs for S21 and L39, corrections in the sequences of L7 and L18a, and the identification of L33. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;213:1042-50 pubmed..Corrections have been made in the amino acid sequences of L7 and L18a. The rat ribosomal protein designated L33 from its coordinates on two-dimensional gels has been found, from its amino acid sequence, to be identical to S24. ..
- Kuo W, Gehm B, Rosner M, Li W, Keller G. Inducible expression and cellular localization of insulin-degrading enzyme in a stably transfected cell line. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:22599-606 pubmed..These results demonstrate that stably transfected IDE catalyzes a rate-limiting step in cellular insulin degradation and is localized predominantly in peroxisomes. ..
- Gornicki P, Scappino L, Haselkorn R. Genes for two subunits of acetyl coenzyme A carboxylase of Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120: biotin carboxylase and biotin carboxyl carrier protein. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:5268-72 pubmed..Genes for these two subunits of acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase are not linked in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120, contrary to the situation in E. coli, in which they are in one operon. ..
- Leiden J. Transcriptional regulation of T cell receptor genes. Annu Rev Immunol. 1993;11:539-70 pubmed
- Kaisaki P, Menzel S, Lindner T, Oda N, Rjasanowski I, Sahm J, et al. Mutations in the hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha gene in MODY and early-onset NIDDM: evidence for a mutational hotspot in exon 4. Diabetes. 1997;46:528-35 pubmed..The information on the sequence of the HNF-1alpha gene and its promoter region will facilitate the search for mutations in other subjects and studies of the role of the gene in determining normal beta-cell functions. ..
- Bussiere D, Pratt S, Katz L, Severin J, Holzman T, Park C. The structure of VanX reveals a novel amino-dipeptidase involved in mediating transposon-based vancomycin resistance. Mol Cell. 1998;2:75-84 pubmed..albus G. ..
- Tsaur S, Ting C, Wu C. Positive selection driving the evolution of a gene of male reproduction, Acp26Aa, of Drosophila: II. Divergence versus polymorphism. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1040-6 pubmed publisher..We suggest that positive selection is active, but may be weak, for each amino acid change in the Acp26Aa gene...
- Liu X, Wang H, Eberstadt M, Schnuchel A, Olejniczak E, Meadows R, et al. NMR structure and mutagenesis of the N-terminal Dbl homology domain of the nucleotide exchange factor Trio. Cell. 1998;95:269-77 pubmed..They are all highly conserved and reside in close proximity on two a helices. In addition, we have discovered a unique capability of the PH domain to enhance nucleotide exchange in DH domain-containing proteins. ..
- Muerhoff A, Tillmann H, Manns M, Dawson G, Desai S. GB virus C genotype determination in GB virus-C/HIV co-infected individuals. J Med Virol. 2003;70:141-9 pubmed..054). Additional studies with larger cohorts from separate geographical regions are needed to determine whether a particular GBV-C genotype is associated with reduced morbidity or mortality among HIV co-infected patients...
- Kim Y, Yakunin A, Kuznetsova E, Xu X, Pennycooke M, Gu J, et al. Structure- and function-based characterization of a new phosphoglycolate phosphatase from Thermoplasma acidophilum. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:517-26 pubmed publisher..The experimental evidence presented for TA0175 is indicative of phosphoglycolate phosphatase...
- Albillos S, Jin T, Howard A, Zhang Y, Kothary M, Fu T. Purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray characterization of prunin-1, a major component of the almond (Prunus dulcis) allergen amandin. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:5352-8 pubmed publisher..Two prunin trimers form a homohexamer. Elucidation of prunin structure will allow further characterization of the allergenic features of the 11S protein allergens at the molecular level. ..
- Chan Y, Wool I. The primary structure of rat ribosomal protein S25. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;186:1688-93 pubmed..The mRNA for the protein is about 550 nucleotides in length. Rat S25 is homologous to ribosomal proteins from other eukaryotes (human and yeast). ..
- Markiewicz P, Malone C, Chase J, Rothman Denes L. Escherichia coli single-stranded DNA-binding protein is a supercoiled template-dependent transcriptional activator of N4 virion RNA polymerase. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2010-9 pubmed..The basis for the specificity of SSB, the mechanism of transcriptional activation by SSB and template supercoiling, and their role in the N4 transcriptional program during development are discussed. ..
- Lersch R, Fuchs E. Sequence and expression of a type II keratin, K5, in human epidermal cells. Mol Cell Biol. 1988;8:486-93 pubmed..As cells undergo a commitment to terminally differentiate, the expression of both mRNAs seems to be downregulated. ..
- Murao S, Collart F, Huberman E. A protein containing the cystic fibrosis antigen is an inhibitor of protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:8356-60 pubmed
- Collart F, Huberman E. Cloning and sequence analysis of the human and Chinese hamster inosine-5'-monophosphate dehydrogenase cDNAs. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:15769-72 pubmed..Comparison of the protein sequences deduced from the human and Chinese hamster cDNA clones indicates only eight amino acid differences, suggesting that IMP dehydrogenase is a highly conserved protein...
- Chang C, Kokontis J. Identification of a new member of the steroid receptor super-family by cloning and sequence analysis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;155:971-7 pubmed..This evidence suggests that TR2 mRNA levels are negatively controlled by androgen in the rat ventral prostate. ..
- Nakane M, Schmidt H, Pollock J, Forstermann U, Murad F. Cloned human brain nitric oxide synthase is highly expressed in skeletal muscle. FEBS Lett. 1993;316:175-80 pubmed..Moreover, we detected high NO synthase activity and the expressed protein in human skeletal muscle by Western blot analysis, indicating a possible novel function of NO in skeletal muscle. ..
- Yang H, Duckett C, Lindsten T. iPABP, an inducible poly(A)-binding protein detected in activated human T cells. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6770-6 pubmed..In most tissues, poly(A)-binding activity is likely to be the result of the combined effects of constitutively expressed PABP and iPABP, whose expression is subject to more complex regulation. ..
- Minn A, Boise L, Thompson C. Bcl-x(S) anatagonizes the protective effects of Bcl-x(L). J Biol Chem. 1996;271:6306-12 pubmed..This suggests that Bcl-x(S) can enhance cellular sensitivity to apoptosis via a mechanism of action distinct from other Bc1-2 family members that promote apoptosis. ..
- Dubey P, Hendrickson R, Meredith S, Siegel C, Shabanowitz J, Skipper J, et al. The immunodominant antigen of an ultraviolet-induced regressor tumor is generated by a somatic point mutation in the DEAD box helicase p68. J Exp Med. 1997;185:695-705 pubmed..This is the first description of a somatic tumor-specific mutation in the coding region of a nucleic acid helicase. ..
- Tsaur S, Ting C, Wu C. Sex in Drosophila mauritiana: a very high level of amino acid polymorphism in a male reproductive protein gene, Acp26Aa. Mol Biol Evol. 2001;18:22-6 pubmed publisher..mauritiana may have been under much more intense sexual selection than other species. Both postulates have important ramifications and deserve to be tested rigorously...
- Zhang R, Duke N, Laskowski R, Evdokimova E, Skarina T, Edwards A, et al. Conserved protein YecM from Escherichia coli shows structural homology to metal-binding isomerases and oxygenases. Proteins. 2003;51:311-4 pubmed
- Pletnev S, Shcherbo D, Chudakov D, Pletneva N, Merzlyak E, Wlodawer A, et al. A crystallographic study of bright far-red fluorescent protein mKate reveals pH-induced cis-trans isomerization of the chromophore. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:28980-7 pubmed publisher..A group of residues consisting of Val(93), Arg(122), Glu(155), Arg(157), Asp(159), His(169), Ile(171), Asn(173), Val(192), Tyr(194), and Val(216), are most likely responsible for the observed monomeric state of the protein in solution. ..
- Olivas A, Shogan B, Valuckaite V, Zaborin A, Belogortseva N, Musch M, et al. Intestinal tissues induce an SNP mutation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa that enhances its virulence: possible role in anastomotic leak. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44326 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that in vivo transformation of microbial pathogens to a tissue destroying phenotype may have important implications in the pathogenesis of anastomotic leak. ..
- Jin T, Wang C, Zhang C, Wang Y, Chen Y, Guo F, et al. Crystal Structure of Cocosin, A Potential Food Allergen from Coconut (Cocos nucifera). J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7560-7568 pubmed publisher..The structure of cocosin was determined for the first time, and it revealed a typical 11S globulin feature of a double layer doughnut-shaped hexamer. ..
- Kiino D, Phillips G, Silhavy T. Increased expression of the bifunctional protein PrlF suppresses overproduction lethality associated with exported beta-galactosidase hybrid proteins in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:185-92 pubmed..These results suggest that prlF is autoregulated and that overproduction of the prlF gene product increases the export efficiency of beta-galactosidase hybrid proteins from the cytoplasm. ..
- Malavasic M, Elder R. Complementary transcripts from two genes necessary for normal meiosis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:2809-19 pubmed..The complementarity therefore has either no function or only a subtle function in meiosis and sporulation. ..
- Zuiderweg E, Fesik S. Heteronuclear three-dimensional NMR spectroscopy of the inflammatory protein C5a. Biochemistry. 1989;28:2387-91 pubmed..The results show that 15N heteronuclear 3D NMR can facilitate the structure determination of small proteins and promises to be a useful tool for the study of larger systems that cannot be studied by conventional 2D NMR techniques. ..
- Sarge K, Park Sarge O, Kirby J, Mayo K, Morimoto R. Expression of heat shock factor 2 in mouse testis: potential role as a regulator of heat-shock protein gene expression during spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 1994;50:1334-43 pubmed
- Mikol D, Rongnoparut P, Allwardt B, Marton L, Stefansson K. The oligodendrocyte-myelin glycoprotein of mouse: primary structure and gene structure. Genomics. 1993;17:604-10 pubmed
- Samaha F, Ip H, Morrisey E, Seltzer J, Tang Z, Solway J, et al. Developmental pattern of expression and genomic organization of the calponin-h1 gene. A contractile smooth muscle cell marker. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:395-403 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the calponin-h1 gene will serve as an excellent model system with which to examine the molecular mechanisms that regulate SMC lineage specification, differentiation, and phenotypic modulation. ..
- Refetoff S, Marinov V, Tunca H, Byrne M, Sunthornthepvarakul T, Weiss R. A new family with hyperthyroxinemia caused by transthyretin Val109 misdiagnosed as thyrotoxicosis and resistance to thyroid hormone--a clinical research center study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996;81:3335-40 pubmed..These results are in agreement with the observations based on the crystallographic structure of TTR-Thr109 indicating that the extra atoms in Val as in Thr, which are absent in the Ala of the wild type TTR, widen the ligand binding site...
- Goode S, Morgan M, Liang Y, Mahowald A. Brainiac encodes a novel, putative secreted protein that cooperates with Grk TGF alpha in the genesis of the follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 1996;178:35-50 pubmed..Our genetic data suggest that brn acts in a parallel, but partially overlapping pathway to the Grk-Egfr signaling pathway. The brn pathway may help to provide specificity to TGF alpha -Egfr function during oogenesis. ..
- Yamagata K, Furuta H, Oda N, Kaisaki P, Menzel S, Cox N, et al. Mutations in the hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha gene in maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY1). Nature. 1996;384:458-60 pubmed..Here we show that MODY1 is the gene encoding HNF-4alpha (gene symbol, TCF14), a member of the steroid/thyroid hormone receptor superfamily and an upstream regulator of HNF-1alpha expression. ..
- Suto Y, Sato Y, Smith S, Rowley J, Bohlander S. A t(6;12)(q23;p13) results in the fusion of ETV6 to a novel gene, STL, in a B-cell ALL cell line. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1997;18:254-68 pubmed..This cell line will be very useful in studying the different mechanisms by which alterations of ETV6 contribute to leukemogenesis and in testing the hypothesis that ETV6 might act as a tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Baron B, Desai M, Baber L, Paras L, Zhang Q, Sadhu A, et al. BCL6 can repress transcription from the human immunodeficiency virus type I promoter/enhancer region. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 1997;19:14-21 pubmed..We conclude that the BCL6 protein can bind to the HIV-1 promoter-enhancer region and contains a domain upstream of its zinc fingers that can repress transcription from the HIV-1 LTR. ..
- Croopnick J, Choi H, Mueller D. The subcellular location of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of the protein defective in the juvenile form of Batten disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;250:335-41 pubmed..These data indicate that BTN1 is a nonessential gene under most growth conditions which functions in the vacuole in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Esser K, Nelson T, Lupa Kimball V, Blough E. The CACC box and myocyte enhancer factor-2 sites within the myosin light chain 2 slow promoter cooperate in regulating nerve-specific transcription in skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:12095-102 pubmed..These results suggest a model for nerve-dependent regulation of the MLC2slow promoter in which derepression occurs through the CACC box followed by quantitative expression through enhanced MEF2 activation. ..
- Korolev S, Ikeguchi Y, Skarina T, Beasley S, Arrowsmith C, Edwards A, et al. The crystal structure of spermidine synthase with a multisubstrate adduct inhibitor. Nat Struct Biol. 2002;9:27-31 pubmed publisher..The enzyme is tetrameric; each monomer consists of a C-terminal domain with a Rossmann-like fold and an N-terminal beta-stranded domain. The tetramer is assembled using a novel barrel-type oligomerization motif...
- Zagranichnaya T, Wu X, Villereal M. Endogenous TRPC1, TRPC3, and TRPC7 proteins combine to form native store-operated channels in HEK-293 cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29559-69 pubmed..In summary, endogenous TRPC1, TRPC3, and TRPC7 participate in forming heteromeric store-operated channels, whereas TRPC3 and TRPC7 can also participate in forming heteromeric receptor-operated channels. ..
- Grasberger H, Refetoff S. Identification of the maturation factor for dual oxidase. Evolution of an eukaryotic operon equivalent. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18269-72 pubmed..The identification of DUOXA genes has important implications for studies of the molecular mechanisms controlling DUOX expression and the molecular genetics of congenital hypothyroidism. ..
- Chang C, Coggill P, Bateman A, Finn R, Cymborowski M, Otwinowski Z, et al. The structure of pyogenecin immunity protein, a novel bacteriocin-like immunity protein from Streptococcus pyogenes. BMC Struct Biol. 2009;9:75 pubmed publisher..pyogenes, possibly the first structure of an immunity protein protective against potential class IIb two-peptide bacteriocins. We have named the two pairs of putative bacteriocins found in S. pyogenes pyogenecin 1, 2, 3 and 4. ..
- Liang J, Scappino L, Haselkorn R. The patB gene product, required for growth of the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 under nitrogen-limiting conditions, contains ferredoxin and helix-turn-helix domains. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1697-704 pubmed..The mutation in strain PAT-2 is the deletion of G at nucleotide 1342 in the patB gene, resulting in the loss of a 62-amino-acid fragment from the C terminus of the PatB protein, including the helix-turn-helix motif. ..
- Chang C, Tesar C, Gu M, Babnigg G, Joachimiak A, Pokkuluri P, et al. Extracytoplasmic PAS-like domains are common in signal transduction proteins. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:1156-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to the PhoR structure, we predict that the majority of the extracytoplasmic domains of B. subtilis sensor kinases will adopt a fold similar to the ubiquitous PAS domain. ..
- Lersch R, Stellmach V, Stocks C, Giudice G, Fuchs E. Isolation, sequence, and expression of a human keratin K5 gene: transcriptional regulation of keratins and insights into pairwise control. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:3685-97 pubmed..In this case, transcriptional changes did not appear to be involved in the regulation, suggesting that there may be multiple control mechanisms underlying the pairwise expression of keratins. ..
- Zhong P, Pratt S, Edalji R, Walter K, Holzman T, Shivakumar A, et al. Substrate requirements for ErmC' methyltransferase activity. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4327-32 pubmed..In addition, the Vmax for this fragment also rose sevenfold. A model of RNA-ErmC' interaction involving multiple binding sites is proposed from the kinetic data presented...
- del Bosque Plata L, Lin J, Horikawa Y, Schwarz P, Cox N, Iwasaki N, et al. Mutations in the coding region of the neurogenin 3 gene (NEUROG3) are not a common cause of maturity-onset diabetes of the young in Japanese subjects. Diabetes. 2001;50:694-6 pubmed..596T/C), resulting in a Phe/Ser polymorphism F/S199. These polymorphisms were not associated with MODY, thereby suggesting that mutations in NEUROG3 are not a common cause of MODY in Japanese patients. ..
- Vionnet N, Stoffel M, Takeda J, Yasuda K, Bell G, Zouali H, et al. Nonsense mutation in the glucokinase gene causes early-onset non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Nature. 1992;356:721-2 pubmed..To our knowledge, this result is the first evidence implicating a mutation in a gene involved in glucose metabolism in the pathogenesis of NIDDM. ..
- Cao X, Koski R, Gashler A, McKiernan M, Morris C, Gaffney R, et al. Identification and characterization of the Egr-1 gene product, a DNA-binding zinc finger protein induced by differentiation and growth signals. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:1931-9 pubmed..We also demonstrate that it is phosphorylated. In vitro-generated Egr-1 protein binds with high affinity to the sequence CGCCCCCGC in a zinc-dependent manner. ..
- Mulligan M, Buikema W, Haselkorn R. Bacterial-type ferredoxin genes in the nitrogen fixation regions of the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 and Rhizobium meliloti. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:4406-10 pubmed..Cyanobacteria have not previously been shown to contain bacterial-type ferredoxins. The presence of this gene suggests that nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria have at least four distinct ferredoxins. ..
- Tokuyama Y, Hara M, Jones E, Fan Z, Bell G. Cloning of rat and mouse P2Y purinoceptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;211:211-8 pubmed..The cloned rat P2Y purinoceptor was expressed in Xenopus laevis oocytes and possessed the properties expected for this receptor subtype. ..
- Chan Y, Paz V, Olvera J, Wool I. The primary structure of L37--a rat ribosomal protein with a zinc finger-like motif. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993;192:590-6 pubmed..Rat L37 is related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae ribosomal protein YL35 and to Caenorhabditis elegans L37. We have identified in the data base a DNA sequence that encodes the chicken homolog of rat L37. ..
- Palopoli M, Wu C. Rapid evolution of a coadapted gene complex: evidence from the Segregation Distorter (SD) system of meiotic drive in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1996;143:1675-88 pubmed..Finally, the large genomic region hitchhiking with SD indicates that a multilocus, epistatically selected system could affect the levels of DNA polymorphism observed in regions of reduced recombination...
- Polarek J, Williams G, Epstein W. The products of the kdpDE operon are required for expression of the Kdp ATPase of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:2145-51 pubmed..The proximal region of the kdpD gene is the site of most mutations that lead to constitutive expression of the kdpABC operon. ..
- Stein S, Zhang L, Roos R. Influence of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus 5' untranslated region on translation and neurovirulence. J Virol. 1992;66:4508-17 pubmed..These studies emphasize the multigenic nature of neurovirulence and the importance of translation in the regulation of picornaviral gene expression. ..
- Abad Zapatero C, Rydel T, Erickson J. Revised 2.3 A structure of porcine pepsin: evidence for a flexible subdomain. Proteins. 1990;8:62-81 pubmed..There is some suggestion in pepsin that the subdomain may be flexible and perhaps plays a structural role in mediating substrate binding, determining the substrate specificity, or in the activation of the zymogen. ..
- Ohara Y, Senkowski A, Fu J, Klaman L, Goodall J, Toth M, et al. Trypsin-sensitive neutralization site on VP1 of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis viruses. J Virol. 1988;62:3527-9 pubmed..The limited diversity of nucleotide changes seen in the mutants and the immunodominance of the site suggest that the carboxyl end of VP1 may have an important function. ..
- Joseph L, Chang L, Stamenkovich D, Sukhatme V. Complete nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequences of human and murine preprocathepsin L. An abundant transcript induced by transformation of fibroblasts. J Clin Invest. 1988;81:1621-9 pubmed..5-kb transcript in several tissues, but also to a 4-kb transcript in human kidney. These clones will facilitate studies of the structure, expression, and function of cathepsin L, including its unexpected upregulation in transformation. ..
- Kim Y, Joachimiak G, Bigelow L, Babnigg G, Joachimiak A. How Aromatic Compounds Block DNA Binding of HcaR Catabolite Regulator. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:13243-56 pubmed publisher..The current study contributes to a better understanding of the hca catabolic operon regulation mechanism by the transcription factor HcaR. ..
- Mikol D, Alexakos M, Bayley C, Lemons R, Le Beau M, Stefansson K. Structure and chromosomal localization of the gene for the oligodendrocyte-myelin glycoprotein. J Cell Biol. 1990;111:2673-9 pubmed..By hybridization of the genomic clone to metaphase cells, we have localized the human OMgp gene to chromosome 17 bands q11-12, a region to which the neurofibromatosis type 1 gene has been previously mapped. ..
- Jedd G, Richardson C, Litt R, Segev N. The Ypt1 GTPase is essential for the first two steps of the yeast secretory pathway. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:583-90 pubmed..Thus, it is unlikely that Ypt1p functions as the sole determinant of fusion specificity. Our results are more consistent with a role for Ypt1/rab proteins in determining the directionality or fidelity of protein sorting. ..
- Chan Y, Olvera J, Paz V, Wool I. The primary structure of rat ribosomal protein L29. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1993;192:583-9 pubmed..Hybridization of the cDNA to digests of nuclear DNA suggests that there are 20 to 22 copies of the L29 gene. The mRNA for the protein is about 750 nucleotides in length. Rat L29 is related to yeast ribosomal protein YL43. ..
- Seino S, Yamada Y, Espinosa R, Le Beau M, Bell G. Assignment of the gene encoding the alpha 1 subunit of the neuroendocrine/brain-type calcium channel (CACNL1A2) to human chromosome 3, band p14.3. Genomics. 1992;13:1375-7 pubmed
- Dellavalle R, Petersen R, Lindquist S. Preferential deadenylation of Hsp70 mRNA plays a key role in regulating Hsp70 expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:3646-59 pubmed..Deadenylation therefore allows Hsp70 synthesis to be repressed even when degradation of the mRNA is blocked. Poly(A) tail shortening appears to play a key role in regulating Hsp70 expression. ..