Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on islets of langerhans in Connecticut, United States
Locale: Connecticut, United States
Topic: islets of langerhans
- Paranjape S, Chan O, Zhu W, Horblitt A, Grillo C, Wilson S, et al. Chronic reduction of insulin receptors in the ventromedial hypothalamus produces glucose intolerance and islet dysfunction in the absence of weight gain. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011;301:E978-83 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that insulin resistance within the VMH may be a significant contributor to the development of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Jurczak M, Lee H, Birkenfeld A, Jornayvaz F, Frederick D, Pongratz R, et al. SGLT2 deletion improves glucose homeostasis and preserves pancreatic beta-cell function. Diabetes. 2011;60:890-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support SGLT2 inhibition as a viable insulin-independent treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Wen L, Ley R, Volchkov P, Stranges P, Avanesyan L, Stonebraker A, et al. Innate immunity and intestinal microbiota in the development of Type 1 diabetes. Nature. 2008;455:1109-13 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that interaction of the intestinal microbes with the innate immune system is a critical epigenetic factor modifying T1D predisposition. ..
- Stark R, Pasquel F, Turcu A, Pongratz R, Roden M, Cline G, et al. Phosphoenolpyruvate cycling via mitochondrial phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase links anaplerosis and mitochondrial GTP with insulin secretion. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26578-90 pubmed publisher..Given that mtGTP synthesized by SCS-GTP is an indicator of TCA flux that is crucial for GSIS, PEPCK-M is a strong candidate to link mtGTP synthesis with insulin release through anaplerotic PEP cycling. ..
- Shao L, Zhou H, Zhang H, Qin L, Hwa J, Yun Z, et al. SENP1-mediated NEMO deSUMOylation in adipocytes limits inflammatory responses and type-1 diabetes progression. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8917 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals previously unrecognized mechanism regulating the onset and progression of T1DM associated with adipocyte dysfunction. ..
- Du W, Wong F, Li M, Peng J, Qi H, Flavell R, et al. TGF-beta signaling is required for the function of insulin-reactive T regulatory cells. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1360-70 pubmed
- Garofalo R, Orena S, Rafidi K, Torchia A, Stock J, Hildebrandt A, et al. Severe diabetes, age-dependent loss of adipose tissue, and mild growth deficiency in mice lacking Akt2/PKB beta. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:197-208 pubmed
- Vasavada R, Cavaliere C, D Ercole A, Dann P, Burtis W, Madlener A, et al. Overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pancreatic islets of transgenic mice causes islet hyperplasia, hyperinsulinemia, and hypoglycemia. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1200-8 pubmed..PTHrP appears to regulate insulin secretion either directly or indirectly, through developmental or growth effects on islet mass. PTHrP may have a role as an agent that enhances islet mass and/or enhances insulin secretion. ..