Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on insect genes in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: insect genes
Publications109 found, 100 shown here
- Rangarajan R, Courvoisier H, Gaul U. Dpp and Hedgehog mediate neuron-glia interactions in Drosophila eye development by promoting the proliferation and motility of subretinal glia. Mech Dev. 2001;108:93-103 pubmed..Our study suggests a novel function for Hh in regulating migratory behavior and provides further evidence for a complex mutual dependence between glial and neuronal cells during development. ..
- Saez L, Meyer P, Young M. A PER/TIM/DBT interval timer for Drosophila's circadian clock. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 2007;72:69-74 pubmed publisher..The cultured cell assay provides a potent system to study interactions among new and known genes involved in the generation of circadian behavior. ..
- Carrera I, Janody F, Leeds N, Duveau F, Treisman J. Pygopus activates Wingless target gene transcription through the mediator complex subunits Med12 and Med13. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6644-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that Pygopus promotes Wnt target gene transcription by recruiting the mediator complex through interactions with Med12 and Med13. ..
- Choe K, Werner T, Stoven S, Hultmark D, Anderson K. Requirement for a peptidoglycan recognition protein (PGRP) in Relish activation and antibacterial immune responses in Drosophila. Science. 2002;296:359-62 pubmed
- Renault A, Kunwar P, Lehmann R. Lipid phosphate phosphatase activity regulates dispersal and bilateral sorting of embryonic germ cells in Drosophila. Development. 2010;137:1815-23 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this essential function of Wunen is needed to maintain cell integrity in actively migrating germ cells. ..
- Vosshall L, Young M. Circadian rhythms in Drosophila can be driven by period expression in a restricted group of central brain cells. Neuron. 1995;15:345-60 pubmed..When we genetically removed all external photoreceptor cells, rhythms persisted in these transgenic animals. This suggests that a few central brain cells producing glass and per are capable of generating biological rhythms. ..
- Yin J, del Vecchio M, Zhou H, Tully T. CREB as a memory modulator: induced expression of a dCREB2 activator isoform enhances long-term memory in Drosophila. Cell. 1995;81:107-15 pubmed..Maximum LTM is achieved after one training session, and its formation depends on phosphorylation of the activator transgene. A model of LTM formation based on differential regulation of CREB isoforms is proposed. ..
- Pick L. Segmentation: painting stripes from flies to vertebrates. Dev Genet. 1998;23:1-10 pubmed
- Struhl G, Basler K. Organizing activity of wingless protein in Drosophila. Cell. 1993;72:527-40 pubmed..We propose that wg protein organizes leg pattern along the dorsoventral axis by conferring ventral positional information within the disc. ..
- Tomlinson A, Strapps W, Heemskerk J. Linking Frizzled and Wnt signaling in Drosophila development. Development. 1997;124:4515-21 pubmed..Taken together our results significantly strengthen the case for Fz acting in a Wnt signaling pathway in Drosophila. ..
- Sibon O, Laurencon A, Hawley R, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila ATM homologue Mei-41 has an essential checkpoint function at the midblastula transition. Curr Biol. 1999;9:302-12 pubmed..During early embryogenesis, however, this pathway is activated by developmental cues and is required for the transition from maternal to zygotic control of development at the MBT. ..
- Bai C, Tolias P. Genetic analysis of a La homolog in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:1078-84 pubmed..Our results support the hypothesis that D-La provides essential functions for proper Drosophila development and imply that the conserved La family of proteins may perform critical developmental functions in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Curtiss J, Halder G, Mlodzik M. Selector and signalling molecules cooperate in organ patterning. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:E48-51 pubmed..Such enhancers include autoregulatory enhancers of the selector genes themselves, which drive the refinement of expression patterns of selector genes. ..
- Yohn C, Pusateri L, Barbosa V, Lehmann R. l(3)malignant brain tumor and three novel genes are required for Drosophila germ-cell formation. Genetics. 2003;165:1889-900 pubmed..Analysis of our mutants demonstrates that two unique and independent processes must occur to form germ cells-germ-plasm formation and nuclear division/migration. ..
- Campbell G, Goring H, Lin T, Spana E, Andersson S, Doe C, et al. RK2, a glial-specific homeodomain protein required for embryonic nerve cord condensation and viability in Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2957-66 pubmed..This suggests that RK2 is not required for early glial determination, but rather for aspects of glial differentiation or function that are required for embryonic viability. ..
- Eickbush D, Lathe W, Francino M, Eickbush T. R1 and R2 retrotransposable elements of Drosophila evolve at rates similar to those of nuclear genes. Genetics. 1995;139:685-95 pubmed
- Wang Z, Mann R. Requirement for two nearly identical TGIF-related homeobox genes in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 2003;130:2853-65 pubmed
- Xu X, Yin Z, Hudson J, Ferguson E, Frasch M. Smad proteins act in combination with synergistic and antagonistic regulators to target Dpp responses to the Drosophila mesoderm. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2354-70 pubmed..Thus, integration of positive and negative regulators on enhancers of target genes appears to be an important mechanism in tissue-specific induction by TGF-beta molecules. ..
- Schmucker D, Vorbrüggen G, Yeghiayan P, Fan H, Jackle H, Gaul U. The Drosophila gene abstrakt, required for visual system development, encodes a putative RNA helicase of the DEAD box protein family. Mech Dev. 2000;91:189-96 pubmed..Both the broad requirement for abstrakt gene function and its ubiquitous expression are consistent with a molecular function of the abstrakt protein in mRNA splicing or translational control. ..
- Clough E, Moon W, Wang S, Smith K, Hazelrigg T. Histone methylation is required for oogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:157-65 pubmed..We propose that other closely related SET domain proteins may function similarly in gametogenesis in other species. ..
- Piano F, Craddock E, Kambysellis M. Phylogeny of the island populations of the Hawaiian Drosophila grimshawi complex: evidence from combined data. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 1997;7:173-84 pubmed publisher..The phylogenetic results do not concur with the previously proposed hypothesis that D. pullipes originated from a founder derived from the Maui Nui complex and further suggest that these taxa are in need of taxonomic revision...
- Kloss B, Price J, Saez L, Blau J, Rothenfluh A, Wesley C, et al. The Drosophila clock gene double-time encodes a protein closely related to human casein kinase Iepsilon. Cell. 1998;94:97-107 pubmed..DBT is capable of binding to PER in vitro and in Drosophila cells, suggesting that a physical association of PER and DBT regulates PER phosphorylation and accumulation in vivo. ..
- Simpson Brose M, Treisman J, Desplan C. Synergy between the hunchback and bicoid morphogens is required for anterior patterning in Drosophila. Cell. 1994;78:855-65 pubmed..bcd may be a newly acquired Drosophila gene, which is gradually replacing some of the functions performed by maternal hb in other species. ..
- Bertuccioli C, Fasano L, Jun S, Wang S, Sheng G, Desplan C. In vivo requirement for the paired domain and homeodomain of the paired segmentation gene product. Development. 1996;122:2673-85 pubmed
- Young M. The molecular control of circadian behavioral rhythms and their entrainment in Drosophila. Annu Rev Biochem. 1998;67:135-52 pubmed..The recent discovery of PER homologues in mice and humans suggests that a related mechanism controls mammalian circadian behavioral rhythms. ..
- Vosshall L, Amrein H, Morozov P, Rzhetsky A, Axel R. A spatial map of olfactory receptor expression in the Drosophila antenna. Cell. 1999;96:725-36 pubmed..The isolation of candidate odorant receptor genes along with a genetic analysis of olfactory-driven behavior in insects may ultimately afford a system to understand the mechanistic link between odor recognition and behavior. ..
- Crickmore M, Mann R. Hox control of organ size by regulation of morphogen production and mobility. Science. 2006;313:63-8 pubmed..Because morphogens control tissue growth in many contexts, these findings provide a potentially general mechanism for how selector genes modify organ sizes. ..
- Bokor P, DiNardo S. The roles of hedgehog, wingless and lines in patterning the dorsal epidermis in Drosophila. Development. 1996;122:1083-92 pubmed..However, some pattern is independent of the antagonism of patched by Hh, and relies instead on novel interactions with lines. Lastly, we provide evidence that decapentaplegic does not mediate patterning by Hh in the dorsal epidermis. ..
- Casares F, Mann R. A dual role for homothorax in inhibiting wing blade development and specifying proximal wing identities in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:1499-508 pubmed..Our results suggest that tsh and hth block wing blade development by repressing some of the activities of the Notch pathway at the D/V compartment boundary. ..
- Lieber T, Kidd S, Alcamo E, Corbin V, Young M. Antineurogenic phenotypes induced by truncated Notch proteins indicate a role in signal transduction and may point to a novel function for Notch in nuclei. Genes Dev. 1993;7:1949-65 pubmed..The cytoplasmic domain of Notch contains nuclear localization sequences that function in cultured cells, and one of the Notch antineurogenic proteins, the cytoplasmic domain, accumulates in nuclei in vivo. ..
- Reynolds Kenneally J, Mlodzik M. Notch signaling controls proliferation through cell-autonomous and non-autonomous mechanisms in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2005;285:38-48 pubmed..However, cell-autonomous effects of Notch within and posterior to the furrow are independent of Upd. Here, Notch autonomously maintains cells in a proliferative state and blocks photoreceptor differentiation. ..
- Stanley P. Regulation of Notch signaling by glycosylation. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2007;17:530-5 pubmed..Ligand binding and ligand-induced Notch signaling assays have provided insights into how changes in the O-fucose glycans of Notch receptors alter Notch signaling. ..
- Lee J, Treisman J. Sightless has homology to transmembrane acyltransferases and is required to generate active Hedgehog protein. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1147-52 pubmed..sit encodes a conserved transmembrane protein with homology to a family of membrane-bound acyltransferases. The Sit protein could act by acylating Hh or by promoting other modifications or trafficking events necessary for its function. ..
- Jin S, Martinek S, Joo W, Wortman J, Mirkovic N, Sali A, et al. Identification and characterization of a p53 homologue in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7301-6 pubmed..It appears that p53 is structurally and functionally conserved from flies to mammals. Drosophila will provide a useful genetic system to the further study of the p53 network. ..
- Tyler D, Okamura K, Chung W, Hagen J, Berezikov E, Hannon G, et al. Functionally distinct regulatory RNAs generated by bidirectional transcription and processing of microRNA loci. Genes Dev. 2008;22:26-36 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that antisense transcription and processing contributes to the functional diversification of miRNA genes. ..
- Staeva Vieira E, Yoo S, Lehmann R. An essential role of DmRad51/SpnA in DNA repair and meiotic checkpoint control. EMBO J. 2003;22:5863-74 pubmed..We therefore propose that under normal conditions a second, Rad51-independent, repair pathway prevents the lethal effects of DNA damage. ..
- Hirsch J, Aggarwal A. Structure of the even-skipped homeodomain complexed to AT-rich DNA: new perspectives on homeodomain specificity. EMBO J. 1995;14:6280-91 pubmed..In addition, the functionally important residue Gln50 is observed in multiple conformations making direct and water-mediated hydrogen bonds with the DNA bases. ..
- Mohler J. Spatial regulation of segment polarity gene expression in the anterior terminal region of the Drosophila blastoderm embryo. Mech Dev. 1995;50:151-61 pubmed..None of these five known gap genes are required for the activation of the labral segment domains of hh and wg, which are presumably either activated directly by maternal pathways or by an unidentified gap gene...
- Yang Y, Ballinger D. Mutations in calphotin, the gene encoding a Drosophila photoreceptor cell-specific calcium-binding protein, reveal roles in cellular morphogenesis and survival. Genetics. 1994;138:413-21 pubmed..Analysis of these mutations suggest that Calphotin plays important roles in both rhabdomere development and in photoreceptor cell survival. ..
- Vanario Alonso C, O Hara E, McGinnis W, Pick L. Targeted ribozymes reveal a conserved function of the Drosophila paired gene in sensory organ development. Mech Dev. 1995;53:323-8 pubmed..These studies reveal a role for prd in sensory organ development that appears to be conserved in PAX genes throughout the animal kingdom. ..
- Nestoras K, Lee H, Mohler J. Role of knot (kn) in wing patterning in Drosophila. Genetics. 1997;147:1203-12 pubmed
- Yin Z, Frasch M. Regulation and function of tinman during dorsal mesoderm induction and heart specification in Drosophila. Dev Genet. 1998;22:187-200 pubmed..It is likely that some of these functional and regulatory properties of tinman are shared by tinman-related genes from vertebrates that have similarly important roles in embryonic heart development. ..
- Chen C, Strapps W, Tomlinson A, Struhl G. Evidence that the cysteine-rich domain of Drosophila Frizzled family receptors is dispensable for transducing Wingless. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15961-6 pubmed..Thus, we infer that signal transduction does not require binding of Wg to the CRD, but instead depends on interactions between Wg and other portions of the receptor, or other proteins of the receptor complex. ..
- Levitan M, Etges W. Climate change and recent genetic flux in populations of Drosophila robusta. BMC Evol Biol. 2005;5:4 pubmed..robusta are evolutionary responses to environmental change. Since these chromosomes are known to be sensitive to ambient temperature, regional climatic shifts associated with global warming are likely to be responsible. ..
- Morcillo P, Rosen C, Dorsett D. Genes regulating the remote wing margin enhancer in the Drosophila cut locus. Genetics. 1996;144:1143-54 pubmed..Relative to mutations in scalloped or mastermind, a Chip mutation hypersensitizes the wing margin enhancer in cut to gypsy insertions. Therefore, Chip might encode a target of SUHW enhancer-blocking activity. ..
- Papatsenko D, Makeev V, Lifanov A, Regnier M, Nazina A, Desplan C. Extraction of functional binding sites from unique regulatory regions: the Drosophila early developmental enhancers. Genome Res. 2002;12:470-81 pubmed..We also discuss the definition of true binding sites and the possible biological principles that govern patterning of regulatory regions and the distribution of transcriptional signals. ..
- Sorrentino R, Melk J, Govind S. Genetic analysis of contributions of dorsal group and JAK-Stat92E pathway genes to larval hemocyte concentration and the egg encapsulation response in Drosophila. Genetics. 2004;166:1343-56 pubmed
- Richardson B, Beckett K, Nowak S, Baylies M. SCAR/WAVE and Arp2/3 are crucial for cytoskeletal remodeling at the site of myoblast fusion. Development. 2007;134:4357-67 pubmed..Our data identify a new paradigm for understanding the mechanisms underlying fusion in myoblasts and other tissues. ..
- Stroumbakis N, Li Z, Tolias P. A homolog of human transcription factor NF-X1 encoded by the Drosophila shuttle craft gene is required in the embryonic central nervous system. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:192-201 pubmed..This study presents the first in vivo genetic analysis of a member of this new protein family. ..
- Vani K, Yang G, Mohler J. Isolation and cloning of a Drosophila homolog to the mammalian RACK1 gene, implicated in PKC-mediated signalling. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1358:67-71 pubmed..The Drosophila rack1 gene has a dynamic pattern of expression during early embryogenesis with the highest expression in the mesodermal and endodermal lineages. ..
- Connolly J, Tully T. Integrins: a role for adhesion molecules in olfactory memory. Curr Biol. 1998;8:R386-9 pubmed..Adhesion molecules of this kind may play a role in olfactory memory by altering the strength of synaptic connections in an experience-dependent manner. ..
- Mohler J, Seecoomar M, Agarwal S, Bier E, Hsai J. Activation of knot (kn) specifies the 3-4 intervein region in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2000;127:55-63 pubmed..The primordia for veins 3 and 4 are laid down adjacent to the kn-imposed vein-free zone, presumably by a signalling factor (such as Vn) also synthesized in the medial region of the wing. ..
- Cann M, Chung E, Levin L. A new family of adenylyl cyclase genes in the male germline of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:200-6 pubmed..Evidence is also provided for positive selection at the locus on chromosome 2 which suggests this gene family is actively evolving and may play a novel role in spermatogenesis. ..
- Wehrli M, Tomlinson A. Epithelial planar polarity in the developing Drosophila eye. Development. 1995;121:2451-9 pubmed..We suggest that the movement of the morphogenetic wave may be causal in establishing the planar polarity of this epithelium. ..
- Lane M, Kalderon D. Genetic investigation of cAMP-dependent protein kinase function in Drosophila development. Genes Dev. 1993;7:1229-43 pubmed..These results argue that cAMP-mediated signal transduction is essential at a variety of stages during the development of a metazoan. ..
- Rollins R, Morcillo P, Dorsett D. Nipped-B, a Drosophila homologue of chromosomal adherins, participates in activation by remote enhancers in the cut and Ultrabithorax genes. Genetics. 1999;152:577-93 pubmed..Compatible with this idea, Nipped-B protein is homologous to a family of chromosomal adherins with broad roles in sister chromatid cohesion, chromosome condensation, and DNA repair. ..
- Lee C, Eki T, Okumura K, Nogami M, Soares V, Murakami Y, et al. The human RNA helicase A (DDX9) gene maps to the prostate cancer susceptibility locus at chromosome band 1q25 and its pseudogene (DDX9P) to 13q22, respectively. Somat Cell Mol Genet. 1999;25:33-9 pubmed
- Starz Gaiano M, Cho N, Forbes A, Lehmann R. Spatially restricted activity of a Drosophila lipid phosphatase guides migrating germ cells. Development. 2001;128:983-91 pubmed..We propose that spatially restricted phospholipid hydrolysis creates a gradient of signal necessary and specific for the migration and survival of germ cells. ..
- Almeida F, DeSalle R. Orthology, function and evolution of accessory gland proteins in the Drosophila repleta group. Genetics. 2009;181:235-45 pubmed publisher..We found that positive selection is a strong force in the early divergence of these gene pairs...
- Mollereau B, Wernet M, Beaufils P, Killian D, Pichaud F, Kühnlein R, et al. A green fluorescent protein enhancer trap screen in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. Mech Dev. 2000;93:151-60 pubmed..These genes had not been reported to be expressed in the adult eye. These examples clearly show the ability of our screen to target genes expressed in the adult Drosophila eye. ..
- Gause M, Morcillo P, Dorsett D. Insulation of enhancer-promoter communication by a gypsy transposon insert in the Drosophila cut gene: cooperation between suppressor of hairy-wing and modifier of mdg4 proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:4807-17 pubmed..2 multimer are required for insulation. We theorize that Mod(mdg4)-67.2 usually aids gene activation but can also act as a coinsulator by helping Su(Hw) trap facilitators of activation, such as the Chip protein. ..
- Culi J, Aroca P, Modolell J, Mann R. jing is required for wing development and to establish the proximo-distal axis of the leg in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;173:255-66 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that jing encodes a transcriptional repressor that may participate in a subset of Pc-dependent activities during Drosophila appendage development. ..
- Asztalos Z, Baba K, Yamamoto D, Tully T. The fickle mutation of a cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase effects sensitization but not dishabituation in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 2007;21:59-71 pubmed..Our study reveals a "genetic dissection" of sensitization and dishabituation and, for the first time, provides a biological confirmation of the two opponent process theory of habituation. ..
- Myers M, Wager Smith K, Wesley C, Young M, Sehgal A. Positional cloning and sequence analysis of the Drosophila clock gene, timeless. Science. 1995;270:805-8 pubmed..Absence of sequence similarity to the PER dimerization motif (PAS) indicates that direct interaction between PER and TIM would require a heterotypic protein association. ..
- Forbes A, Lehmann R. Nanos and Pumilio have critical roles in the development and function of Drosophila germline stem cells. Development. 1998;125:679-90 pubmed..We therefore suggest that, in contrast to embryonic patterning, Nanos and Pumilio may interact with different partners in the germline. ..
- Lu Y, Wu L, Anderson K. The antibacterial arm of the drosophila innate immune response requires an IkappaB kinase. Genes Dev. 2001;15:104-10 pubmed..The ird5 gene encodes a Drosophila homolog of mammalian IkappaB kinases (IKKs). The ird5 phenotype and sequence suggest that the gene is specifically required for the activation of Relish, a Drosophila NF-kappaB family member. ..
- Crickmore M, Mann R. Hox control of morphogen mobility and organ development through regulation of glypican expression. Development. 2007;134:327-34 pubmed..Our results suggest that Dpp mobility is biased towards cells with higher levels of Dally and that selector genes modulate organ development by regulating glypican levels. ..
- Eanes W, Merritt T, Flowers J, Kumagai S, Zhu C. Direct evidence that genetic variation in glycerol-3-phosphate and malate dehydrogenase genes (Gpdh and Mdh1) affects adult ethanol tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;181:607-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that an understanding of the evolution of tolerance to alcohols will require a system-level approach, rather than a focus on single enzymes. ..
- Goriely A, Stella M, Coffinier C, Kessler D, Mailhos C, Dessain S, et al. A functional homologue of goosecoid in Drosophila. Development. 1996;122:1641-50 pubmed..The identification of gsc target genes and/or other genes involved in similar developmental processes will allow the definition of the precise phylogenetic relationship among Gsc proteins. ..
- Mansfield J, Wilhelm J, Hazelrigg T. Ypsilon Schachtel, a Drosophila Y-box protein, acts antagonistically to Orb in the oskar mRNA localization and translation pathway. Development. 2002;129:197-209 pubmed..We propose a model wherein Yps and Orb bind competitively to oskar mRNA with opposite effects on translation and RNA localization. ..
- Lo P, Skeath J, Gajewski K, Schulz R, Frasch M. Homeotic genes autonomously specify the anteroposterior subdivision of the Drosophila dorsal vessel into aorta and heart. Dev Biol. 2002;251:307-19 pubmed
- Amrein H, Axel R. Genes expressed in neurons of adult male Drosophila. Cell. 1997;88:459-69 pubmed..Our data suggest that the multimeric complex of dosage compensation proteins may operate in different ways on different sets of X-linked genes. ..
- Iourgenko V, Kliot B, Cann M, Levin L. Cloning and characterization of a Drosophila adenylyl cyclase homologous to mammalian type IX. FEBS Lett. 1997;413:104-8 pubmed
- Lo P, Frasch M. A novel KH-domain protein mediates cell adhesion processes in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1997;190:241-56 pubmed..Thus, the struthio gene encodes a putative RNA-binding protein that appears to regulate some aspects of Drosophila integrin functioning. ..
- Tolias P, Stroumbakis N. The Drosophila zygotic lethal gene shuttle craft is required maternally for proper embryonic development. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:274-82 pubmed..Thus, the stc zygotic function is required later in development and cannot correct the segmentation and subsequent CNS abnormalities associated with loss of its earlier acting maternally derived activity. ..
- Hazelrigg T, Liu N, Hong Y, Wang S. GFP expression in Drosophila tissues: time requirements for formation of a fluorescent product. Dev Biol. 1998;199:245-9 pubmed..These estimates of the time required for the acquisition of a fluorescent GFP product in Drosophila tissues are less than suggested by previously published reports. ..
- Treisman J. A conserved blueprint for the eye?. Bioessays. 1999;21:843-50 pubmed
- Casares F, Mann R. The ground state of the ventral appendage in Drosophila. Science. 2001;293:1477-80 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that, during evolution, leglike appendages could have developed without selector gene activity. ..
- Miura G, Buglino J, Alvarado D, Lemmon M, Resh M, Treisman J. Palmitoylation of the EGFR ligand Spitz by Rasp increases Spitz activity by restricting its diffusion. Dev Cell. 2006;10:167-76 pubmed..These data suggest a role for palmitoylation in restricting Spitz diffusion, allowing its local concentration to reach the threshold required for biological function. ..
- Brent A, Yucel G, Small S, Desplan C. Permissive and instructive anterior patterning rely on mRNA localization in the wasp embryo. Science. 2007;315:1841-3 pubmed
- Ohsako S, Hyer J, Panganiban G, Oliver I, Caudy M. Hairy function as a DNA-binding helix-loop-helix repressor of Drosophila sensory organ formation. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2743-55 pubmed..Together these results indicate that hairy represses sensory organ formation by directly repressing transcription of the ac proneural gene. ..
- Sehgal A, Price J, Man B, Young M. Loss of circadian behavioral rhythms and per RNA oscillations in the Drosophila mutant timeless. Science. 1994;263:1603-6 pubmed..Genetic mapping places tim on the left arm of the second chromosome between dumpy (dp) and decapentaplegic (dpp). ..
- Kirov N, Shtilbans A, Rushlow C. Isolation and characterization of a new gene encoding a member of the HIRA family of proteins from Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 1998;212:323-32 pubmed..The conservation of these homologous regions in HIRA-encoded proteins from evolutionary distant organisms suggests that they are important for the activity of the members of the family. ..
- Carrera I, Zavadil J, Treisman J. Two subunits specific to the PBAP chromatin remodeling complex have distinct and redundant functions during drosophila development. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:5238-50 pubmed publisher..Finally, we generated mutants lacking Bap170, Bap180, and Osa in the germ line to demonstrate that the core Brahma complex can function in oogenesis without any of these accessory subunits. ..
- Baker N, Yu S, Han D. Evolution of proneural atonal expression during distinct regulatory phases in the developing Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 1996;6:1290-301 pubmed..Distinct neural tissues might differ in their proneural prepatterns, but use Notch in a similar mechanism. ..
- Jun S, Wallen R, Goriely A, Kalionis B, Desplan C. Lune/eye gone, a Pax-like protein, uses a partial paired domain and a homeodomain for DNA recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13720-5 pubmed
- Collins R, Furukawa T, Tanese N, Treisman J. Osa associates with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex and promotes the activation of some target genes. EMBO J. 1999;18:7029-40 pubmed..We show evidence that some Brahma-containing complexes do not contain Osa and that Osa is not required to localize Brahma to chromatin. These data suggest that Osa modulates the function of the Brahma complex. ..
- Enright A, John B, Gaul U, Tuschl T, Sander C, Marks D. MicroRNA targets in Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2003;5:R1 pubmed..The target prediction algorithm is freely available and can be applied to whole genome sequences using identified miRNA sequences. ..
- Rodriguez Boulan E, Müsch A, Le Bivic A. Epithelial trafficking: new routes to familiar places. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2004;16:436-42 pubmed..A promising area of research is the study of trafficking functions of novel polarity genes identified in Drosophila and Caenorhabditis elegans. ..
- Lee B, Jones B. Transcriptional regulation of the Drosophila glial gene repo. Mech Dev. 2005;122:849-62 pubmed..Our results suggest that Gcm acts synergistically with other factors to control repo transcription in glial cells. ..