Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Wales, United Kingdom
Locale: Wales, United Kingdom
Publications166 found, 100 shown here
- Felce D, Emerson E. Living with support in a home in the community: predictors of behavioral development and household and community activity. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2001;7:75-83 pubmed..Little is known about what precise characteristics of community location give rise to greater community integration. MRDD Research Reviews 7:75-83, 2001. ..
- Kumar R, Lloyd D. Recent advances in the treatment of Acanthamoeba keratitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:434-41 pubmed..Immunization thus may eventually become the best approach for reduction of the incidence of amebic infection in humans...
- Cavill I. Erythropoiesis and iron. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2002;15:399-409 pubmed
- Messager S, Goddard P, Dettmar P, Maillard J. Comparison of two in vivo and two ex vivo tests to assess the antibacterial activity of several antiseptics. J Hosp Infect. 2004;58:115-21 pubmed..The ex vivo tests were easily adapted to mimic in vivo protocols. The value of such tests, particularly the one that includes a rubbing effect, may be significant as they avoid the need for human volunteers. ..
- Green E, Raybould R, Macgregor S, Hyde S, Young A, O Donovan M, et al. Genetic variation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in bipolar disorder: case-control study of over 3000 individuals from the UK. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;188:21-5 pubmed..Variation at the Val66Met polymorphism of BDNF does not play a major role in influencing susceptibility to bipolar disorder as a whole, but is associated with susceptibility to the rapid-cycling subset of the disorder. ..
- Naylor E, Clare L. Awareness of memory functioning, autobiographical memory and identity in early-stage dementia. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2008;18:590-606 pubmed publisher..Reduced awareness may serve a protective function against the threats to self posed by the onset and progression of dementia. ..
- Benton D. The plausibility of sugar addiction and its role in obesity and eating disorders. Clin Nutr. 2010;29:288-303 pubmed publisher..There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders. ..
- Toma A, Zhurov A, Playle R, Marshall D, Rosin P, Richmond S. The assessment of facial variation in 4747 British school children. Eur J Orthod. 2012;34:655-64 pubmed publisher..The first three PCs characterize the face in terms of height, width, and prominence of the nose. The derived PCs may be useful to identify and classify faces according to a scale of normality. ..
- Price A, Eccles R. Is there any relationship between right and left hand dominance and right and left nasal airflow dominance?. J Laryngol Otol. 2017;131:846-852 pubmed publisher..2 to 95.8 per cent. No correlation between nasal airflow dominance and hand dominance was identified. The results do not support the hypothesis that nasal airflow and handedness are related. ..
- Guggenheim J, Farbrother J. The association between spherical and cylindrical component powers. Optom Vis Sci. 2004;81:62-3 pubmed
- Verrier Jones K. Time to review the value of imaging after urinary tract infection in infants. Arch Dis Child. 2005;90:663-4 pubmed
- LeBouder E, Rey Nores J, Raby A, Affolter M, Vidal K, Thornton C, et al. Modulation of neonatal microbial recognition: TLR-mediated innate immune responses are specifically and differentially modulated by human milk. J Immunol. 2006;176:3742-52 pubmed..This in turn suggests the existence of novel mechanisms regulating TLR activation. ..
- Doak S, Jenkins S, Hurle R, Varma M, Hawizy A, Kynaston H, et al. Bone morphogenic factor gene dosage abnormalities in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2007;176:161-5 pubmed..Approximately half of the prostate tumors displayed increased copy numbers of the BMP2, BMP5, BMP7, and UC28 gene loci, which may account for their abnormal gene expression patterns in neoplastic prostate tissue...
- Brooks S, Fielding S, Döbrössy M, von Horsten S, Dunnett S. Subtle but progressive cognitive deficits in the female tgHD hemizygote rat as demonstrated by operant SILT performance. Brain Res Bull. 2009;79:310-5 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the hemizygous tgHD rats have mild cognitive deficits that are attentional in nature, but no implicit learning deficit. ..
- Lazarus J. Lithium and thyroid. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;23:723-33 pubmed publisher..There is no clinical benefit of lithium therapy in thyroid cancer. More research is required on the cellular proliferative effects of lithium as well as its impact on the immune system. ..
- Enoch S, Peake M, Wall I, Davies L, Farrier J, Giles P, et al. 'Young' oral fibroblasts are geno/phenotypically distinct. J Dent Res. 2010;89:1407-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that oral mucosal fibroblasts exhibit a preferential healing response in vivo, due to their 'replicatively younger' phenotype when compared with that of patient-matched skin fibroblasts. ..
- Chuang H, Jones T, Berube K. Combustion particles emitted during church services: implications for human respiratory health. Environ Int. 2012;40:137-142 pubmed publisher..4-32.8 times) than tobacco PM. The generation and subsequent inhalation of PM during church activities may therefore pose significant risks in terms of respiratory health effects. ..
- Siddle K, Mwambingu S, Malinga T, Fiander A. Psychosocial impact of obstetric fistula in women presenting for surgical care in Tanzania. Int Urogynecol J. 2013;24:1215-20 pubmed publisher..This is an initial report documenting morbidity on admission...
- Pearson J, Wong F, Wen L. The importance of the Non Obese Diabetic (NOD) mouse model in autoimmune diabetes. J Autoimmun. 2016;66:76-88 pubmed publisher..Finally, this review will also discuss the future of the NOD mouse and the development of humanized NOD mice, providing novel insights into human T1D. ..
- Hetzenecker A, Escourrou P, Kuna S, Series F, Lewis K, Birner C, et al. Treatment of sleep apnea in chronic heart failure patients with auto-servo ventilation improves sleep fragmentation: a randomized controlled trial. Sleep Med. 2016;17:25-31 pubmed publisher..Effects of ASV on sleep fragmentation and efficiency were similar in patients suffering from OSA and CSA. At home, ASV treatment modestly improves sleep fragmentation as well as sleep efficiency in CHF patients having either CSA or OSA. ..
- Almathen F, Charruau P, Mohandesan E, Mwacharo J, Orozco Terwengel P, Pitt D, et al. Ancient and modern DNA reveal dynamics of domestication and cross-continental dispersal of the dromedary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:6707-12 pubmed publisher..This study also demonstrates the potential to retrieve ancient DNA sequences from osseous remains excavated in hot and dry desert environments. ..
- Windsor J. Cat-scratch disease: epidemiology, aetiology and treatment. Br J Biomed Sci. 2001;58:101-10 pubmed..In complicated CSD, treatment with trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole, ciprofloxacin or azithromycin is recommended, with gentamicin being reserved for the severely ill patient. ..
- Glynne Jones E, Harper M, Seery L, James R, Anglin I, Morgan H, et al. TENB2, a proteoglycan identified in prostate cancer that is associated with disease progression and androgen independence. Int J Cancer. 2001;94:178-84 pubmed..These data are indicative of a significant role for TENB2 in the progression of poorly differentiated tumour types, with implications for prostate cancer detection, prognosis and therapy. ..
- Mead J, Irvine S, Ramji D. Lipoprotein lipase: structure, function, regulation, and role in disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2002;80:753-69 pubmed..This review summarises recent findings in relation to the structure, function, and regulation of LPL along with its important role in disease. ..
- Morgan S, Austin M, Whittet H. The treatment of acute dacryocystitis using laser assisted endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004;88:139-41 pubmed..To determine whether acute dacryocystitis complicated by abscess formation can be successfully treated using laser assisted endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy...
- Rushmere N, Knowlden J, Gee J, Harper M, Robertson J, Morgan B, et al. Analysis of the level of mRNA expression of the membrane regulators of complement, CD59, CD55 and CD46, in breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 2004;108:930-6 pubmed..These data provide new information on expression of these important regulators in breast cancer and suggest that CD46 should be evaluated as a novel prognostic indicator. ..
- Owen P, Rajiv C, Vinereanu D, Mathew T, Fraser A, Lazarus J. Subclinical hypothyroidism, arterial stiffness, and myocardial reserve. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:2126-32 pubmed..Arterial stiffness was increased in SCH and improved with l-thyroxine, which may be beneficial, whereas myocardial functional reserve was similar to controls and remained unaltered after treatment. ..
- Hammond L, Street J, Johnson J, Pepperall J, Darke C. A new HLA-Cw*03 variant - Cw*031102. Tissue Antigens. 2006;68:455-6 pubmed
- Morris B, Smith V, Elphick J, Laws D. Compensatory head posture and neck problems: is there an association? A cohort study of nystagmus patients. Eye (Lond). 2009;23:279-83 pubmed publisher..Significant restriction in neck movements exists in nystagmus patients with compensatory head posture, although this does not appear to adversely affect quality of life. ..
- Hughes D, Powell N, Fiander A. Will vaccination against human papillomavirus prevent eye disease? A review of the evidence. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008;92:460-5 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the nature of papillomaviruses, mechanisms of infection and carcinogenesis, the possible role of HPV in eye disease, and finally the likely impact of the new prophylactic vaccines. ..
- Morus I. Placing performance. Isis. 2010;101:775-8 pubmed..Lastly, the essay suggests, the emphasis on performance invites us to develop new, nontextual strategies for representing our own researches. ..
- Azzopardi E, Ferguson E, Thomas D. The enhanced permeability retention effect: a new paradigm for drug targeting in infection. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:257-74 pubmed publisher..This review describes the similarities and parallels in pathophysiological pathways at molecular, cellular and circulatory levels between inflammation/infection and cancer therapy, where use of this principle has been established. ..
- Lazaro G, Smith C, Goddard L, Jordan N, McClelland R, Barrett Lee P, et al. Targeting focal adhesion kinase in ER+/HER2+ breast cancer improves trastuzumab response. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013;20:691-704 pubmed publisher..This is particularly important in the context of ER+/HER2+, trastuzumab-refractory disease, where FAK inhibition may present an important strategy to restore trastuzumab sensitivity. ..
- Roberts G, Burton C. Implementing the evidence for language-appropriate health care systems: The Welsh context. Can J Public Health. 2013;104:S88-90 pubmed..Thus, in our common pursuit to establish integrated knowledge translation research for language-appropriate health care systems, this commentary offers a focus for reflection, discussion and collaborative action. ..
- Gleeson A, Larkin P, O Sullivan N. The impact of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on patients with advanced cancer and their family members: A qualitative study. Palliat Med. 2016;30:382-91 pubmed publisher..These findings should be considered when developing policy relating to meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus management and infection control in specialist palliative care settings. ..
- Street J, Johnson J, Lemin A, Harvey C, Darke C. Immunogenetics of three novel HLA-Class II alleles: DRB1*03:112, DQB1*03:02:16 and DQB1*03:139. Int J Immunogenet. 2016;43:40-4 pubmed publisher..The new alleles were found after the sequence-based typing of 32Â 530 random UK European routine blood donors suggesting that each has a maximum carriage frequency of 0.0031% in the blood donor population resident in Wales. ..
- Chiba T, Thomas C, Calcutt M, Boeglin W, O Donnell V, Brash A. The Precise Structures and Stereochemistry of Trihydroxy-linoleates Esterified in Human and Porcine Epidermis and Their Significance in Skin Barrier Function: IMPLICATION OF AN EPOXIDE HYDROLASE IN THE TRANSFORMATIONS OF LINOLEATE. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:14540-54 pubmed publisher
- Stickler D, Hughes G. Ability of Proteus mirabilis to swarm over urethral catheters. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1999;18:206-8 pubmed..Migration of swarmers along catheters into the bladder could thus initiate Proteus mirabilis catheter-associated infections. ..
- Oviedo Orta E, Gasque P, Evans W. Immunoglobulin and cytokine expression in mixed lymphocyte cultures is reduced by disruption of gap junction intercellular communication. FASEB J. 2001;15:768-74 pubmed..The results indicate that intercellular signaling across gap junctions is an important component of the mechanisms underlying metabolic cooperation in the immune system. ..
- Hollies C, Monckton D, Jeffreys A. Attempts to detect retrotransposition and de novo deletion of Alus and other dispersed repeats at specific loci in the human genome. Eur J Hum Genet. 2001;9:143-6 pubmed..Such re-arrangements at these loci therefore occur at a rate lower than that detectable by the most sensitive methods currently available. ..
- Mädler C, Payne N, Wilkenshoff U, Cohen A, Derumeaux G, Pierard L, et al. Non-invasive diagnosis of coronary artery disease by quantitative stress echocardiography: optimal diagnostic models using off-line tissue Doppler in the MYDISE study. Eur Heart J. 2003;24:1584-94 pubmed..001). Non-invasive diagnosis of coronary artery disease by quantitative stress echocardiography is best performed using diagnostic models based on segmental velocities at peak stress and adjusting for heart rate, and gender or age. ..
- Williams G. The determinants of health: structure, context and agency. Sociol Health Illn. 2003;25:131-54 pubmed..The paper concludes with an argument for a more historically-informed analysis of the relationships between social structure and health, using the knowledgeable narratives of people in places as a window onto those relationships. ..
- Yee S, Simons C. Synthesis and CYP24 inhibitory activity of 2-substituted-3,4-dihydro-2H-naphthalen-1-one (tetralone) derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2004;14:5651-4 pubmed..9 microM for the most active derivative) compared with ketoconazole (IC(50) 20 microM). ..
- Wong C. A uterine fibroid presenting as an incarcerated umbilical hernia during pregnancy. Hernia. 2005;9:298-9 pubmed..A case of a 30-year-old pregnant woman with a uterine fibroid incarcerated in an umbilical hernia is presented. This is the second reported case of a fibroid in pregnancy with such a presentation. ..
- Cory C, Jones M. Development of a simulation system for performing in situ surface tests to assess the potential severity of head impacts from alleged childhood short falls. Forensic Sci Int. 2006;163:102-14 pubmed..In conclusion, the authors suggest that in future investigations, the response of the entire surface mixture be taken into account when forming an opinion on the injury potential of short falls. ..
- Edwards A, Thomas R, Williams R, Ellner A, Brown P, Elwyn G. Presenting risk information to people with diabetes: evaluating effects and preferences for different formats by a web-based randomised controlled trial. Patient Educ Couns. 2006;63:336-49 pubmed..The challenge is to provide more information, in appropriate and clear formats, but without risking information overload. Interactive web designs hold much promise to achieve this. ..
- Ekeruche Makinde J, Clement M, Cole D, Edwards E, Ladell K, Miles J, et al. T-cell receptor-optimized peptide skewing of the T-cell repertoire can enhance antigen targeting. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:37269-81 pubmed publisher..This proof-of-concept study demonstrates that it is possible to design altered peptide antigens for the selection of superior T-cell clonotypes with enhanced antigen recognition properties. ..
- Hiscox S, Baruha B, Smith C, Bellerby R, Goddard L, Jordan N, et al. Overexpression of CD44 accompanies acquired tamoxifen resistance in MCF7 cells and augments their sensitivity to the stromal factors, heregulin and hyaluronan. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:458 pubmed publisher..Thus CD44 may present an important determinant of breast cancer progression in the setting of endocrine resistance. ..
- Torok Z, Crul T, Maresca B, Schütz G, Viana F, Dindia L, et al. Plasma membranes as heat stress sensors: from lipid-controlled molecular switches to therapeutic applications. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1838:1594-618 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Membrane Structure and Function: Relevance in the Cell's Physiology, Pathology and Therapy. ..
- ..This article considers the requirements for Gillick competence, it highlights the factors that must be considered when determining whether a child is competent to give consent to treatment. ..
- BeruBe K, Sexton K, Jones T, Moreno T, Anderson S, Richards R. The spatial and temporal variations in PM10 mass from six UK homes. Sci Total Environ. 2004;324:41-53 pubmed..The indoor and outdoor PM10 collected was characterised as being a heterogeneous mixture of particles (soot, fibres, sea salt, smelter, gypsum, pollen and fungal spores). ..
- Brophy S, Cooksey R, Atkinson M, Zhou S, Husain M, Macey S, et al. No increased rate of acute myocardial infarction or stroke among patients with ankylosing spondylitis-a retrospective cohort study using routine data. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2012;42:140-5 pubmed publisher..There is no increase in the MI or CVD/stroke rates in patients with AS compared to those without AS, despite higher rates of hypertension, which may be related to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use. ..
- Powell N, Cuschieri K, Cubie H, Hibbitts S, Rosillon D, De Souza S, et al. Cervical cancers associated with human papillomavirus types 16, 18 and 45 are diagnosed in younger women than cancers associated with other types: a cross-sectional observational study in Wales and Scotland (UK). J Clin Virol. 2013;58:571-4 pubmed publisher..9% of ICC in the populations investigated. Cancers associated with HPV16, 18 and 45 were diagnosed at younger ages, supporting the hypothesis of faster progression than for tumours caused by other HPV types. ..
- Halksworth G, Moseley L, Carter K, Worwood M. Iron absorption from Spatone (a natural mineral water) for prevention of iron deficiency in pregnancy. Clin Lab Haematol. 2003;25:227-31 pubmed..As only lower doses of iron are required, the unpleasant side-effects of iron therapy are largely avoided. ..
- Zhang X, Topley N, Ito T, Phillips A. Interleukin-6 regulation of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta receptor compartmentalization and turnover enhances TGF-beta1 signaling. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:12239-45 pubmed..These results indicate that IL-6 increased trafficking of TGF-beta1 receptors to non-lipid raft-associated pools results in augmented TGF-beta1 Smad signaling. ..
- Zhang M, Lee C, Luo D, Krupa A, Fraser D, Phillips A. Polarity of response to transforming growth factor-beta1 in proximal tubular epithelial cells is regulated by beta-catenin. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28639-47 pubmed..Inhibition of beta-catenin in this cell line by small interfering RNA resulted in increased TGF-beta1-dependent Smad3 phosphorylation and restoration of TGF-beta1 anti-proliferative effects. ..
- Gryshchenko O, Gerasimenko J, Gerasimenko O, Petersen O. Calcium signalling in pancreatic stellate cells: Mechanisms and potential roles. Cell Calcium. 2016;59:140-4 pubmed publisher..The potential benefits of such pharmacological inhibition for the treatment of pancreatitis are reviewed. ..
- Kirov G, Tredget J, John R, Owen M, Lazarus J. A cross-sectional and a prospective study of thyroid disorders in lithium-treated patients. J Affect Disord. 2005;87:313-7 pubmed..Women should be warned of the risks involved when offered lithium treatment. The frequency of lithium-induced thyrotoxicosis is very low. ..
- Byrne A, Blagrove M, McDougall S. Dynamic confidence during simulated clinical tasks. Postgrad Med J. 2005;81:785-8 pubmed..Whether time on task interacts with incorrect performance to produce further deficits in confidence should now be investigated. ..
- Hughes D, Charles J, Dawoud D, Edwards R, Holmes E, Jones C, et al. Conducting Economic Evaluations Alongside Randomised Trials: Current Methodological Issues and Novel Approaches. Pharmacoeconomics. 2016;34:447-61 pubmed publisher..The limitations of existing approaches are detailed and novel methods introduced. The review is internationally relevant but with a focus towards practice in the UK. ..
- Mahenthiralingam E, Baldwin A, Vandamme P. Burkholderia cepacia complex infection in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Med Microbiol. 2002;51:533-8 pubmed publisher..For microbiologists, hospital infection control officers, caregivers, and most of all the CF community, the changes in our understanding of the taxonomy, epidemiology and pathogenesis of the bacterium 'B. cepacia' are complex...
- Jenkins R, Cooper R. Synergy between oxacillin and manuka honey sensitizes methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to oxacillin. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:1405-7 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrated that subinhibitory concentrations of honey in combination with oxacillin restored oxacillin susceptibility to MRSA. Other honey and antibiotic combinations must now be evaluated. ..
- Shaikh Z, Worrall S. Epidemiology of facial trauma in a sample of patients aged 1-18 years. Injury. 2002;33:669-71 pubmed..Falls were by far, the commonest cause of injury, but with increasing age, assaults became more common. A surprisingly high incidence of dog bite injuries was noted, particularly in children under 7 years of age. ..
- Dimond B. Accountability and medicinal products 3: employment. Br J Nurs. 2004;13:276-9 pubmed..He was notified by the trust that it was not its policy to introduce independent nurse prescribing. Can he lawfully refuse to obey these instructions? ..
- Hosein I, Hill D, Tan T, Butchart E, Wilson K, Finlay G, et al. Point-of-care controls for nosocomial legionellosis combined with chlorine dioxide potable water decontamination: a two-year survey at a Welsh teaching hospital. J Hosp Infect. 2005;61:100-6 pubmed
- Mukherjee S, Newby E, Harvey J. Adrenomyeloneuropathy in patients with 'Addison's disease': genetic case analysis. J R Soc Med. 2006;99:245-9 pubmed..To review the clinical presentations and diagnostic issues in adrenomyeloneuropathy and adrenoleukodystrophy, which are different presentations of the same single gene disorder...
- Evans R, Elwyn G, Edwards A, Newcombe R, Kinnersley P, Wright P, et al. A randomised controlled trial of the effects of a web-based PSA decision aid, Prosdex. Protocol. BMC Fam Pract. 2007;8:58 pubmed..These outcomes, and particularly PSA test uptake, will be used to develop a mathematical simulation model, specifically to consider the impact on health service resources. ..
- Dimond B. The Mental Capacity Act 2005: children and young persons. Br J Nurs. 2008;17:248-50 pubmed..There are powers set up to enable easy transfer of proceedings between the Court of Protection and the Family Division of the High Court and vice versa. ..
- Kothayer H, Spencer S, Tripathi K, Westwell A, Palle K. Synthesis and in vitro anticancer evaluation of some 4,6-diamino-1,3,5-triazine-2-carbohydrazides as Rad6 ubiquitin conjugating enzyme inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:2030-4 pubmed publisher..Similarly, new triazines also showed better IC50 values in survival assays of various tumor cell lines. Particularly, new triazines 6a-c, exhibited lower IC50 (3.3-22 Î¼M) values compared to TZ9. ..
- Cook M, Buhling F, Ansorge S, Tatnell P, Kay J. Pronapsin A and B gene expression in normal and malignant human lung and mononuclear blood cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1577:10-6 pubmed
- Somasekar K, Shankar P, Foster M, Lewis M. Costs of waiting for gall bladder surgery. Postgrad Med J. 2002;78:668-9 pubmed..Further studies to identify risk factors associated with recurrent symptoms and complications in patients with gallstone disease may help to prioritize them for early surgery. ..
- Longo M, Cohen D, Hood K, Edwards A, Robling M, Elwyn G, et al. Involving patients in primary care consultations: assessing preferences using discrete choice experiments. Br J Gen Pract. 2006;56:35-42 pubmed..However, patient utilities for such involvement appeared responsive to changes in experiences of consultations. This suggests that SDM may gain greater value among patients once they have experienced it. ..
- Havrylov S, Ichioka F, Powell K, Borthwick E, Baranska J, Maki M, et al. Adaptor protein Ruk/CIN85 is associated with a subset of COPI-coated membranes of the Golgi complex. Traffic. 2008;9:798-812 pubmed publisher..Only a small pool of Ruk/CIN85 is present in compartments involved in clathrin-mediated endocytosis and sorting. These results suggest that endogenous Ruk/CIN85 may be involved in regulation of specific membrane trafficking processes. ..
- Jin J, Pastrello D, Penning N, Jones A. Clustering of endocytic organelles in parental and drug-resistant myeloid leukaemia cell lines lacking centrosomally organised microtubule arrays. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:2240-52 pubmed publisher..0 and overall these findings suggests a general relationship between the absence of microtubule arrays and the propensity of leukaemia cell lines to cluster endocytic organelles and daunorubicin into the juxtanuclear region. ..
- Mallappa Saroja C, Nankani A, El Hamamy E. Uterine compression sutures, an update: review of efficacy, safety and complications of B-Lynch suture and other uterine compression techniques for postpartum haemorrhage. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010;281:581-8 pubmed publisher..Data on menstrual periods after uterine compression sutures is limited. Our review is limited in nature due to lack of consistent data on many important outcomes and also preclinical variables. ..
- Hossain M, Andrew J. Is there a difference in perioperative mortality between cemented and uncemented implants in hip fracture surgery?. Injury. 2012;43:2161-4 pubmed publisher..Mortality risk was exacerbated in patients with pre-existing cardiovascular morbidity and was independent of the seniority of the surgeon or the anaesthetist. ..
- Wood R. Recognising and assessing neurobehavioural disability after traumatic brain injury. NeuroRehabilitation. 2013;32:699-706 pubmed publisher..More work is needed to define the nature and impact of different forms of neurobehavioural disorders that comprise this complex form of disability. ..
- Whiteland H, Spencer Harty S, Thomas D, Davies C, Morgan C, Kynaston H, et al. Putative prognostic epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition biomarkers for aggressive prostate cancer. Exp Mol Pathol. 2013;95:220-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, loss of E-Cadherin expression at the cellular membrane of prostate cancer cells was also significantly associated with increasing Gleason score, clinical stage, and additionally, a reduction in survival. ..
- Tatnell P, Cook M, Kay J. An alternatively spliced variant of cathepsin E in human gastric adenocarcinoma cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1625:203-6 pubmed..As a result of the precise splicing of the 3'-end of exon 6 to the 5'-end of exon 8, the variant lacked the 142 bp of exon 7 which encodes the second of the Asp residues that operate the catalytic mechanism of aspartic proteinases. ..
- Glaser B, Kirov G, Green E, Craddock N, Owen M. Linkage disequilibrium mapping of bipolar affective disorder at 12q23-q24 provides evidence for association at CUX2 and FLJ32356. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2005;132B:38-45 pubmed..Our data provide evidence for association between bipolar mood disorder and markers on chromosome 12q23-q24 but need replication in independent samples. ..
- Ather S, Chan D, Leaper D, Harding K. Surgical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa: case series and review of the literature. Int Wound J. 2006;3:159-69 pubmed..All the patients had endured a long period of medical treatment and subsequently required surgery for a long-term relief of symptoms. This has undoubtedly led to psychological symptoms and a decrease in quality of life. ..
- Doak S, Griffiths S, Manshian B, Singh N, Williams P, Brown A, et al. Confounding experimental considerations in nanogenotoxicology. Mutagenesis. 2009;24:285-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, highlighting some of the potential confounding factors that need to be considered in order to ensure that in vitro genotoxicity assays report true biological impacts in response to nanomaterial exposure. ..
- Butler C, Hood K, Verheij T, Little P, Melbye H, Nuttall J, et al. Variation in antibiotic prescribing and its impact on recovery in patients with acute cough in primary care: prospective study in 13 countries. BMJ. 2009;338:b2242 pubmed publisher..Variation in antibiotic prescribing is not associated with clinically important differences in recovery. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00353951. ..
- Le Pelley M, Suret M, Beesley T. Learned predictiveness effects in humans: a function of learning, performance, or both?. J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process. 2009;35:312-27 pubmed publisher..Experiment 4 indicates that learned predictiveness also influences learning by demonstrating that the learned predictiveness of a cue affects the acquisition of an association between a novel cue and the outcome with which it is paired. ..
- Withers K, Carolan Rees G, Dale M. Pipeline™ embolization device for the treatment of complex intracranial aneurysms: a NICE Medical Technology Guidance. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2013;11:5-13 pubmed publisher..NICE Medical Technologies Guidance MTG10, issued in May 2012, recommends the adoption of PED in selected patients within the UK National Health Service (NHS). ..
- Kandil S, Westwell A, McGuigan C. 7-Substituted umbelliferone derivatives as androgen receptor antagonists for the potential treatment of prostate and breast cancer. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:2000-4 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, this compound showed even better activity against the human breast cancer cell line (MCF-7); IC50=0.47 Î¼M. Molecular modelling studies provided a plausible theoretical explanation for our findings. ..
- Anderson R, Evans L, Ellis G, Khan N, Morris K, Jackson S, et al. Prolonged deterioration of endothelial dysfunction in response to postprandial lipaemia is attenuated by vitamin C in Type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med. 2006;23:258-64 pubmed..This highlights the importance of low-fat meals in T2DM and suggests a role for vitamin C therapy to improve endothelial function during meal ingestion. ..