Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Scotland, United Kingdom
Locale: Scotland, United Kingdom
Publications666 found, 100 shown here
- Gill J, O May F. How 'sensible' is the UK Sensible Drinking message? Preliminary findings amongst newly matriculated female university students in Scotland. J Public Health (Oxf). 2007;29:13-6 pubmed..A rewording of the UK Sensible Drinking message to one recognizing the needs of different population groups and their particular language of consumption measure is timely. ..
- Batty I, van der Kaay J, Gray A, Telfer J, Dixon M, Downes C. The control of phosphatidylinositol 3,4-bisphosphate concentrations by activation of the Src homology 2 domain containing inositol polyphosphate 5-phosphatase 2, SHIP2. Biochem J. 2007;407:255-66 pubmed..A key component controlling this shift in the balance of lipid signals is the activation of SHIP2 by increased tyrosine phosphorylation, an effect observed in HeLa cells in response to both PTP inhibitors and epidermal growth factor. ..
- Elliott R, Greenberg L. The essence of process-experiential/emotion-focused therapy. Am J Psychother. 2007;61:241-54 pubmed..In general, PE-EFT is an approach that seeks to help clients transform contradictions and impasses into wellsprings for growth. ..
- Bennett D, Cooke A, Edwards A. Non-steroidal LXR agonists; an emerging therapeutic strategy for the treatment of atherosclerosis. Recent Pat Cardiovasc Drug Discov. 2006;1:21-46 pubmed..In addition to this patent information a précis of literature data relevant to the utility of specific compounds in the treatment of cardiovascular disease will be given where available...
- Edward M, Quinn J, Burden A, Newton B, Jardine A. Effect of different classes of gadolinium-based contrast agents on control and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis-derived fibroblast proliferation. Radiology. 2010;256:735-43 pubmed publisher..1 mmol/L and by gadolinium trichloride at a concentration of 0.01 mmol/L, whereas collagen synthesis was unaffected. This study provides evidence that different classes of gadolinium chelates stimulate human fibroblast proliferation. ..
- Maskrey B, Megson I, Whitfield P, Rossi A. Mechanisms of resolution of inflammation: a focus on cardiovascular disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:1001-6 pubmed publisher..This review will draw on evidence from a range of diseases in which dysregulated inflammation is important, with particular emphasis on cardiovascular disease. ..
- MacDonald A, Sun P, Hernandez Lopez H, Aasen T, Hodgins M, Edward M, et al. A functional interaction between the MAGUK protein hDlg and the gap junction protein connexin 43 in cervical tumour cells. Biochem J. 2012;446:9-21 pubmed publisher..Instead, hDlg appears to have a role in maintaining a cytoplasmic pool of Cx43. These results demonstrate that hDlg is a physiologically relevant regulator of Cx43 in transformed epithelial cells. ..
- Miell M, Fuller C, Guse A, Barysz H, Downes A, Owen Hughes T, et al. CENP-A confers a reduction in height on octameric nucleosomes. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:763-5 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that octameric CENP-A nucleosomes assembled in vitro exhibit reduced heights, indicating that they are physically distinct from H3 nucleosomes and negating the need to invoke the presence of hemisomes. ..
- Wilson J, Tejera A, Castor D, Toth R, Blasco M, Rouse J. Localization-dependent and -independent roles of SLX4 in regulating telomeres. Cell Rep. 2013;4:853-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, SLX4 prevents telomere lengthening and fragility in a manner that appears to be independent of telomere association. These findings reveal that SLX4 plays multiple roles in regulating telomere homeostasis. ..
- Dowler S, Currie R, Downes C, Alessi D. DAPP1: a dual adaptor for phosphotyrosine and 3-phosphoinositides. Biochem J. 1999;342 ( Pt 1):7-12 pubmed
- Beattie P, Dawe R, Traynor N, Woods J, Ferguson J, Ibbotson S. Can St John's wort (hypericin) ingestion enhance the erythemal response during high-dose ultraviolet A1 therapy?. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153:1187-91 pubmed
- Sartania N, Appelbe S, Pediani J, Milligan G. Agonist occupancy of a single monomeric element is sufficient to cause internalization of the dimeric beta2-adrenoceptor. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1928-38 pubmed
- Scott M, Barton G. Probabilistic prediction and ranking of human protein-protein interactions. BMC Bioinformatics. 2007;8:239 pubmed..The set of interactions predicted in this work increases the coverage of the human interaction map and will help determine the highest confidence human interactions. ..
- Sprengelmeyer R, Perrett D, Fagan E, Cornwell R, Lobmaier J, Sprengelmeyer A, et al. The cutest little baby face: a hormonal link to sensitivity to cuteness in infant faces. Psychol Sci. 2009;20:149-54 pubmed publisher..We suggest that cuteness sensitivity is modulated by female reproductive hormones. ..
- Connelly P, Law E, Angus S, Prentice N. Fifteen year comparison of antipsychotic use in people with dementia within hospital and nursing home settings: sequential cross-sectional study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010;25:160-5 pubmed publisher..This cannot be explained by increasing core behaviour symptoms or differences in physical dependency. ..
- Hudson B, Ulven T, Milligan G. The therapeutic potential of allosteric ligands for free fatty acid sensitive GPCRs. Curr Top Med Chem. 2013;13:14-25 pubmed
- Hayward C, Porteous M, Brock D. Mutation screening of all 65 exons of the fibrillin-1 gene in 60 patients with Marfan syndrome: report of 12 novel mutations. Hum Mutat. 1997;10:280-9 pubmed..Twelve of the 17 disease-causing mutations identified have not been previously described, thus raising the total number of different fibrillin-1 mutations reported to 85 in 94 unrelated cases. ..
- Huston E, Lumb S, Russell A, Catterall C, Ross A, Steele M, et al. Molecular cloning and transient expression in COS7 cells of a novel human PDE4B cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase, HSPDE4B3. Biochem J. 1997;328 ( Pt 2):549-58 pubmed..It is suggested that these alternatively spliced regions determine changes in the maximal catalytic activity of the isoforms, their susceptibility to inhibition by rolipram and mode of interaction with particulate fractions. ..
- Dalby K, Morrice N, Caudwell F, Avruch J, Cohen P. Identification of regulatory phosphorylation sites in mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK)-activated protein kinase-1a/p90rsk that are inducible by MAPK. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:1496-505 pubmed..Ser222, Ser364, and Ser381 are situated in analogous positions to phosphorylation sites in protein kinase B, protein kinase C, and p70S6K, suggesting a common mechanism of activation for these growth factor-stimulated protein kinases. ..
- Cooke D, Michie C. Refining the construct of psychopathy: towards a hierarchical model. Psychol Assess. 2001;13:171-88 pubmed..American Psychiatric Association, 1994) antisocial personality disorder field trial. ..
- Davidson L, Pawson A, Millar R, Maudsley S. Cytoskeletal reorganization dependence of signaling by the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:1980-93 pubmed
- Perry C, Spiers A, Cleland S, Lowe G, Petrie J, Connell J. Glucocorticoids and insulin sensitivity: dissociation of insulin's metabolic and vascular actions. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:6008-14 pubmed..This implies that, using this model, there is physiological uncoupling of the effects of insulin in different tissues. ..
- Ahmed S, Morrison S, Hughes I. Intersex and gender assignment; the third way?. Arch Dis Child. 2004;89:847-50 pubmed..It is no wonder that the birth of a child with complex genital anomalies where the sex of rearing is uncertain at birth, presents difficult clinical and ethical issues. ..
- Muturi K, Scaife J, Lomax M, Jackson F, Huntley J, Coop R. The effect of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) on infection with the nematodes Ostertagia ostertagi and Cooperia oncophora in calves. Vet Parasitol. 2005;129:273-83 pubmed
- Gillen D, McColl K. Gastroduodenal disease, Helicobacter pylori, and genetic polymorphisms. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;3:1180-6 pubmed..Genetic factors also are important in the treatment of gastroduodenal diseases. Polymorphisms of host CYP2C19 influence the pharmacokinetics and clinical efficacy of proton pump inhibitor therapy. ..
- Muller M, Sales K, Katz A, Jabbour H. Seminal plasma promotes the expression of tumorigenic and angiogenic genes in cervical adenocarcinoma cells via the E-series prostanoid 4 receptor. Endocrinology. 2006;147:3356-65 pubmed..Therefore, we have demonstrated that seminal plasma and PGE(2) can promote the expression of tumorigenic and angiogenic factors, in cervical adenocarcinoma cells via the EP4 receptor, EGFR, and ERK1/2 signaling pathways. ..
- Martinez Oyanedel J, McNae I, Nowicki M, Keillor J, Michels P, Fothergill Gilmore L, et al. The first crystal structure of phosphofructokinase from a eukaryote: Trypanosoma brucei. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:1185-98 pubmed
- Fraser L, Howatson A, MacGregor F. Foregut duplication cyst of the pharynx. J Laryngol Otol. 2008;122:754-6 pubmed..The prognosis for these lesions is excellent, with no reports in the literature of recurrence following excision. ..
- Nic Daéid N, Cassidy M, McHugh S. An investigation into the correlation of knife damage in clothing and the lengths of skin wounds. Forensic Sci Int. 2008;179:107-10 pubmed publisher..This was true for all of the knives examined. ..
- Dzamko N, Deak M, Hentati F, Reith A, Prescott A, Alessi D, et al. Inhibition of LRRK2 kinase activity leads to dephosphorylation of Ser(910)/Ser(935), disruption of 14-3-3 binding and altered cytoplasmic localization. Biochem J. 2010;430:405-13 pubmed publisher..They will also stimulate further research to understand how phosphorylation of Ser910 and Ser935 is controlled by LRRK2, and establish any relationship to development of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Copeland L, Robertson J, McKenzie J, Kimber J, Macleod J, Hickman M, et al. Premature mortality in Scottish injecting drug users: a life-history approach. Scott Med J. 2012;57:38-42 pubmed publisher..More qualitative research studies are needed to highlight areas which might require early intervention and also complement the existing secondary data studies. ..
- Bowler M, Buchanan Smith H, Whiten A. Assessing public engagement with science in a university primate research centre in a national zoo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34505 pubmed publisher..The findings emphasise the importance and potential of zoos as public engagement centres for the biological sciences. ..
- Dewar M, Alber J, Butler C, Cowan N, Della Sala S. Brief wakeful resting boosts new memories over the long term. Psychol Sci. 2012;23:955-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that wakeful resting after new learning allows new memory traces to be consolidated better and hence to be retained for much longer. ..
- Tsimbouri P, Murawski K, Hamilton G, Herzyk P, Oreffo R, Gadegaard N, et al. A genomics approach in determining nanotopographical effects on MSC phenotype. Biomaterials. 2013;34:2177-84 pubmed publisher..Such an approach offers a better understanding of cell-surface interaction and, critically, provides new insights of how to control stem cell differentiation with future applications in areas including regenerative medicine. ..
- Stein T, Crighton D, Boyle J, Varley J, White R. RNA polymerase III transcription can be derepressed by oncogenes or mutations that compromise p53 function in tumours and Li-Fraumeni syndrome. Oncogene. 2002;21:2961-70 pubmed..Our data suggest that p53 status can have a profound effect upon pol III transcription and hence on the biosynthetic capacity of cells...
- Hussein J, Fortney J. Puerperal sepsis and maternal mortality: what role can new technologies play?. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004;85 Suppl 1:S52-61 pubmed..Sepsis management continues to depend on good implementation of established technologies. Program-based approaches are required to improve uptake. ..
- Milasta S, Pediani J, Appelbe S, Trim S, Wyatt M, Cox P, et al. Interactions between the Mas-related receptors MrgD and MrgE alter signalling and trafficking of MrgD. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;69:479-91 pubmed..Because the Mrg receptors are potential therapeutic targets in pain, these results suggest that efforts to understand the function and regulation of individual Mrg family receptors may require coexpression of relevant pairs. ..
- Welsh P, Murray H, Buckley B, de Craen A, Ford I, Jukema J, et al. Leptin predicts diabetes but not cardiovascular disease: results from a large prospective study in an elderly population. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:308-10 pubmed publisher..85 [1.30-2.63]) but not in women (0.89 [0.64-1.26]). Leptin, similar to other markers of adiposity in general, is more strongly related to risk of diabetes than CVD in the elderly. ..
- Ashrafi G, Grinfeld E, Montague P, Forster T, Ross A, Ghazal P, et al. Assessment of transcriptomal analysis of Varicella-Zoster-virus gene expression in patients with and without post-herpetic neuralgia. Virus Genes. 2010;41:192-201 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that viral microarray-based transcriptomal measurements are unlikely to prove of clinical utility in predicting the incidence of PHN. ..
- Davies R, Roberts A, Morris A, Griffith G, Jerecic J, Ghandi S, et al. Enhanced access to rare brain cDNAs by prescreening libraries: 207 new mouse brain ESTs. Genomics. 1994;24:456-63 pubmed..In total, the comparative sequencing experiments generated 207 new mouse and 11 new rat brain ESTs. ..
- Craig J, Earnshaw W, Vagnarelli P. Mammalian centromeres: DNA sequence, protein composition, and role in cell cycle progression. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:249-62 pubmed..In this review, we will focus on recent advances in the understanding of centromere composition at the protein and DNA level and of the role of centromeres in sister-chromatid cohesion and mitotic checkpoint control. ..
- Parkinson J, Everett R. Alphaherpesvirus proteins related to herpes simplex virus type 1 ICP0 affect cellular structures and proteins. J Virol. 2000;74:10006-17 pubmed
- Chatziandreou N, Young D, Andrejeva J, Goodbourn S, Randall R. Differences in interferon sensitivity and biological properties of two related isolates of simian virus 5: a model for virus persistence. Virology. 2002;293:234-42 pubmed
- Wilson A. Are antihistamines useful in managing asthma?. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;2:53-9 pubmed..This combination has an anti-asthmatic effect that is greater than that of either drug given alone and may be comparable to inhaled corticosteroid therapy. ..
- Robinson C, Hill R, Jacobs N, Dall G, Court Brown C. Adult distal humeral metaphyseal fractures: epidemiology and results of treatment. J Orthop Trauma. 2003;17:38-47 pubmed..To examine the epidemiology and results of treatment of fractures of the distal humeral metaphysis...
- Thompson E, Reilly D. The homeopathic approach to the treatment of symptoms of oestrogen withdrawal in breast cancer patients. A prospective observational study. Homeopathy. 2003;92:131-4 pubmed..A placebo-controlled trial would be the next stage in this line of inquiry. ..
- McLintock L, Dykes A, Tait R, Walker I. Interaction between hormone replacement therapy preparations and oral anticoagulant therapy. BJOG. 2003;110:777-9 pubmed..In contrast, non-tibolone HRT preparations do not consistently alter anticoagulant control or dose requirements. ..
- Batty I, Fleming I, Downes C. Muscarinic-receptor-mediated inhibition of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor-stimulated phosphoinositide 3-kinase signalling in 1321N1 astrocytoma cells. Biochem J. 2004;379:641-51 pubmed..However, the proportion of IRS-1 molecules phosphorylated at a particular site or the phosphorylation of additional IRS-1 serine residues other than those noted above must be important. ..
- Forrest L, McMillan D, McArdle C, Angerson W, Dunlop D. Comparison of an inflammation-based prognostic score (GPS) with performance status (ECOG) in patients receiving platinum-based chemotherapy for inoperable non-small-cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2004;90:1704-6 pubmed..On multivariate analysis with ECOG, white cell count and the GPS entered as covariates, only the GPS was a significant independent predictor of survival (HR 1.88, 95% CI 1.25-2.84, P=0.002). ..
- Elgalaid T, Youngson C, McHugh S, Hall A, Creanor S, Foye R. In vitro dentine permeability: the relative effect of a dentine bonding agent on crown preparations. J Dent. 2004;32:413-21 pubmed..The DBA used did not seal dentinal tubules any more than did the smear layer and provisional crowns luted with a non-eugenol ZnO cement. ..
- Noble C, Nimmo E, Drummond H, Ho G, Tenesa A, Smith L, et al. The contribution of OCTN1/2 variants within the IBD5 locus to disease susceptibility and severity in Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2005;129:1854-64 pubmed..However, the contribution of OCTN1/2 variants is not independent of the IBD5 haplotype; a causative role for these genes remains plausible but is not yet proven. Further genetic, functional, and expression data are now required. ..
- Urbaniak M, Tabudravu J, Msaki A, Matera K, Brenk R, Jaspars M, et al. Identification of novel inhibitors of UDP-Glc 4'-epimerase, a validated drug target for african sleeping sickness. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2006;16:5744-7 pubmed..The inhibitors possess low micromolar potency against the T. brucei and human enzymes in vitro, display a degree of selectivity between the two enzymes, and are cytotoxic to cultured T. brucei and mammalian cells...
- Broom M, Slater J, Ure D. An observational study of practice during transfer of patients from anaesthetic room to operating theatre. Anaesthesia. 2006;61:943-5 pubmed..The transfer process may represent a window of opportunity for the occurrence of harm or the first step in a chain of events leading to harm, and is difficult to justify on patient safety grounds. ..
- Dinkova Kostova A. Phytochemicals as protectors against ultraviolet radiation: versatility of effects and mechanisms. Planta Med. 2008;74:1548-59 pubmed publisher..Such protection is comprehensive, long-lasting, and unlikely to cause pro-oxidant effects or interfere with the synthesis of vitamin D. ..
- Luciano M, Gow A, Harris S, Hayward C, Allerhand M, Starr J, et al. Cognitive ability at age 11 and 70 years, information processing speed, and APOE variation: the Lothian Birth Cohort 1936 study. Psychol Aging. 2009;24:129-38 pubmed publisher..05): The correlation between childhood ability and speed was lower in e4 allele carriers. APOE has an influence on nonverbal cognition in old age and interacts with childhood IQ to influence processing speed. ..
- Kane N, Jones M, Brosens J, Kelly R, Saunders P, Critchley H. TGF?1 attenuates expression of prolactin and IGFBP-1 in decidualized endometrial stromal cells by both SMAD-dependent and SMAD-independent pathways. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12970 pubmed publisher..The impact of TGF?1 on PRL is SMAD-dependent but the impact on IGFBP1 is via an alternative mechanism. In early pregnancy, resistance of DSC to the impact of TGF?1 may be important to ensure tissue homeostasis. ..
- Ohta A, Schumacher F, Mehellou Y, Johnson C, Knebel A, MacArtney T, et al. The CUL3-KLHL3 E3 ligase complex mutated in Gordon's hypertension syndrome interacts with and ubiquitylates WNK isoforms: disease-causing mutations in KLHL3 and WNK4 disrupt interaction. Biochem J. 2013;451:111-22 pubmed publisher..The present study reveals how mutations that disrupt the ability of an E3 ligase to interact with and ubiquitylate a critical cellular substrate such as WNK isoforms can trigger a chronic disease such as hypertension...
- Gwyer Findlay E, Currie S, Davidson D. Cationic host defence peptides: potential as antiviral therapeutics. BioDrugs. 2013;27:479-93 pubmed publisher..Here we review the antiviral properties of several families of these host peptides and their potential to inform the design of novel therapeutics. ..
- Reardon R, Boden L, Mellor D, Love S, Newton R, Stirk A, et al. Risk factors for epistaxis in jump racing in Great Britain (2001-2009). Vet J. 2015;205:44-9 pubmed publisher..The results of this study can be used to guide the development of interventions to minimise the risk of epistaxis in jump racing. ..
- Hogg D. The answers are out there! Developing an inclusive approach to collaboration. Rural Remote Health. 2016;16:4041 pubmed..Social media and increased connectivity pave the way for easier access to great practice across international sites that share similar challenges. ..
- Laing A, Harrison C, Gibson B, Keeshan K. Unlocking the potential of anti-CD33 therapy in adult and childhood acute myeloid leukemia. Exp Hematol. 2017;54:40-50 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes recent developments emphasizing the genetic differences in adult and childhood AML and highlights the rationale for CD33 as a target for therapy in all age groups. ..
- McInnes G, Brodie M. Evaluation of two oxprenolol oral osmotic (OROS) delivery systems in patients with essential hypertension. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1988;34:605-11 pubmed..These observations suggest that both oxprenolol OROS systems display sustained drug release and on once daily dosing provide 24 h beta-blockade and control of blood pressure at rest and following exercise...
- Mon Williams M, Tresilian J. Some recent studies on the extraretinal contribution to distance perception. Perception. 1999;28:167-81 pubmed..A simple heuristic model which can produce the observed distortions is outlined. ..
- Walker S, Downes C, Leslie N. TPIP: a novel phosphoinositide 3-phosphatase. Biochem J. 2001;360:277-83 pubmed..We suggest that TPIP alpha plays a role in regulating phosphoinositide signalling on the endoplasmic reticulum, and might also represent a tumour suppressor and functional homologue of PTEN in some tissues. ..
- Kimber W, Trinkle Mulcahy L, Cheung P, Deak M, Marsden L, Kieloch A, et al. Evidence that the tandem-pleckstrin-homology-domain-containing protein TAPP1 interacts with Ptd(3,4)P2 and the multi-PDZ-domain-containing protein MUPP1 in vivo. Biochem J. 2002;361:525-36 pubmed
- Knebel A, Haydon C, Morrice N, Cohen P. Stress-induced regulation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase by SB 203580-sensitive and -insensitive pathways. Biochem J. 2002;367:525-32 pubmed..Since the phosphorylation of Ser-377 does not inhibit eEF2 kinase in vitro, our results suggest that anisomycin or TNF-alpha inhibit eEF2 kinase via the phosphorylation of Ser-359. ..
- Watt S, Kimber W, Fleming I, Leslie N, Downes C, Lucocq J. Detection of novel intracellular agonist responsive pools of phosphatidylinositol 3,4-bisphosphate using the TAPP1 pleckstrin homology domain in immunoelectron microscopy. Biochem J. 2004;377:653-63 pubmed..These data suggest a role for PtdIns(3,4) P (2) in endomembrane function. ..
- Warner P, Critchley H, Lumsden M, Campbell Brown M, Douglas A, Murray G. Menorrhagia I: measured blood loss, clinical features, and outcome in women with heavy periods: a survey with follow-up data. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;190:1216-23 pubmed..Diagnosis and treatment of patients seem unrelated to the volume of blood loss. The subjective judgment of the volume of blood loss is better than has been believed. Clinical features can be combined to predict losses of >80 mL. ..
- Henderson N, Collis E, Mackinnon A, Simpson K, Haslett C, Zent R, et al. CD98hc (SLC3A2) interaction with beta 1 integrins is required for transformation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54731-41 pubmed..These results explain how high expression of CD98hc in human cancers contributes to transformation; furthermore, the transmembrane association of CD98hc and beta(1) integrins may provide a new target for cancer therapy. ..
- Foley J, Evans D, Blackwell A. Partial caries removal and cariostatic materials in carious primary molar teeth: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Br Dent J. 2004;197:697-701; discussion 689 pubmed..0, P = 0.004 respectively). There were no differences in the proportions of restorations lost between restoration types, although PCR:BCC restorations did have significantly more abscess/sinus formation over the 24-month study period. ..
- Carey D, Dijkerman H, Murphy K, Goodale M, Milner A. Pointing to places and spaces in a patient with visual form agnosia. Neuropsychologia. 2006;44:1584-94 pubmed..It is possible that D.F.'s degraded performance reflects a relative (though not complete) preservation of categorical coding within the ventral stream, despite a loss of coordinate coding there...
- Fredman T, Whiten A. Observational learning from tool using models by human-reared and mother-reared capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella). Anim Cogn. 2008;11:295-309 pubmed..Results in both populations are consistent with a process of canalization of the repertoire in the direction of the approach witnessed, producing a narrower, socially shaped behavioural profile than among controls who saw no model. ..
- Richards J, Johnson K, Liu H, McRobbie A, McMahon S, Oke M, et al. Structure of the DNA repair helicase hel308 reveals DNA binding and autoinhibitory domains. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5118-26 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that one function of the enzyme may be in the removal of bound proteins at stalled replication forks and recombination intermediates...
- Collins D, Murdoch H, Dunlop A, Charych E, Baillie G, Wang Q, et al. Ndel1 alters its conformation by sequestering cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase-4D3 (PDE4D3) in a manner that is dynamically regulated through Protein Kinase A (PKA). Cell Signal. 2008;20:2356-69 pubmed publisher..We propose that Ser13 may act as a redistribution trigger in PDE4D3, allowing it to dynamically re-shape cAMP gradients in distinct intracellular locales upon its phosphorylation by PKA. ..
- Kenneth N, Mudie S, van Uden P, Rocha S. SWI/SNF regulates the cellular response to hypoxia. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4123-31 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a previously uncharacterized dependence of hypoxia signaling on the SWI/SNF complex and demonstrate a new level of control over the hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha system. ..
- Ford I, Bezlyak V, Stott D, Sattar N, Packard C, Perry I, et al. Reduced glomerular filtration rate and its association with clinical outcome in older patients at risk of vascular events: secondary analysis. PLoS Med. 2009;6:e16 pubmed publisher..Our analyses of the benefits of statin treatment in relation to baseline GFR suggest that there is no reason to exclude elderly patients with impaired renal function from treatment with a statin. ..
- Dubois F, Vandermoere F, Gernez A, Murphy J, Toth R, Chen S, et al. Differential 14-3-3 affinity capture reveals new downstream targets of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:2487-99 pubmed publisher..Differential 14-3-3 capture provides a powerful approach to defining downstream regulatory mechanisms for specific signaling pathways. ..
- Kapadia M, Saleem S, Karim M. The hidden figure: sexual intimate partner violence among Pakistani women. Eur J Public Health. 2010;20:164-8 pubmed publisher..Women having more than five children, unwanted pregnancies or reporting differences with in-laws are more likely to be subjected to such abuse. Social support protects women from sexual abuse by intimate partner. ..
- Yu N, Donnan P, Flynn R, Murphy M, Smith D, Rudman A, et al. Increased mortality and morbidity in mild primary hyperparathyroid patients. The Parathyroid Epidemiology and Audit Research Study (PEARS). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010;73:30-4 pubmed publisher..Mortality and morbidity were increased for patients with mild untreated PHPT, which is similar to more severe PHPT. ..
- Melvin A, Mudie S, Rocha S. The chromatin remodeler ISWI regulates the cellular response to hypoxia: role of FIH. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4171-81 pubmed publisher..Of importance, ISWI depletion alters the cellular response to hypoxia by reducing autophagy and increasing apoptosis. These results demonstrate a novel role for ISWI as a survival factor during the cellular response to hypoxia. ..
- Maynard M, Rosato M, Teyhan A, Harding S. Trends in suicide among migrants in England and Wales 1979-2003. Ethn Health. 2012;17:135-40 pubmed publisher..These analyses indicate declining trends for most migrant groups and for England and Wales-born women, but adverse trends in death rates for some country of birth groups. ..
- Short P, Williamson P, Lipworth B. Effects of extra-fine inhaled and oral corticosteroids on alveolar nitric oxide in COPD. Lung. 2012;190:395-401 pubmed publisher..CA(NO) is not a useful marker for monitoring response of small airway disease to therapies in COPD. The study was approved by the local Committee on Medical Research Ethics and registered on ClinicalTrials.Gov (NCT 00921921). ..
- Carlton Smith C, Elliott R. Viperin, MTAP44, and protein kinase R contribute to the interferon-induced inhibition of Bunyamwera Orthobunyavirus replication. J Virol. 2012;86:11548-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that the restriction of BUNV replication mediated by IFN is an accumulated effect of at least three IFN-stimulated genes that probably act on different stages of the viral replication cycle. ..
- Pinto Filho M, Brant L, Foppa M, Garcia Silva K, Mendes de Oliveira R, de Jesus Mendes da Fonseca M, et al. Major Electrocardiographic Abnormalities According to the Minnesota Coding System Among Brazilian Adults (from the ELSA-Brasil Cohort Study). Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:2081-2087 pubmed publisher..2%, p = 0.004). In conclusion, in this large sample of Brazilian adults, the prevalence of major electrocardiographic abnormalities was higher among men, the elderly, black, and among people with more cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Elliott D, Bourgeois C, Klink A, Stevenin J, Cooke H. A mammalian germ cell-specific RNA-binding protein interacts with ubiquitously expressed proteins involved in splice site selection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5717-22 pubmed..Our results suggest that RBM protein is an evolutionarily conserved mammalian splicing regulator which operates as a germ cell-specific cofactor for more ubiquitously expressed pre-mRNA splicing activators. ..
- Bonnesen C, Eggleston I, Hayes J. Dietary indoles and isothiocyanates that are generated from cruciferous vegetables can both stimulate apoptosis and confer protection against DNA damage in human colon cell lines. Cancer Res. 2001;61:6120-30 pubmed..Similar results were obtained with H(2)O(2) as the genotoxic agent. Together, these phytochemicals may prevent colon tumorigenesis by both stimulating apoptosis and enhancing intracellular defenses against genotoxic agents. ..