Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in North Carolina, United States
Locale: North Carolina, United States
Publications723 found, 100 shown here
- Cupul Uicab L, Klebanoff M, Brock J, Longnecker M. Prenatal exposure to persistent organochlorines and childhood obesity in the US collaborative perinatal project. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:1103-9 pubmed publisher..8, 7.1) for the highest quintile. Overweight and BMI were unrelated to organochlorine exposure. In this population with relatively high levels of exposure to organochlorines, no clear associations with obesity or BMI emerged. ..
- Gordon S, McKenzie B, Kemeh G, Sampson M, Perl S, Young N, et al. Rosuvastatin Alters the Proteome of High Density Lipoproteins: Generation of alpha-1-antitrypsin Enriched Particles with Anti-inflammatory Properties. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:3247-57 pubmed publisher..The up-regulation of A1AT on HDL enhances its anti-inflammatory functionality, which may contribute to the non-lipid lowering beneficial effects of statins. ..
- Hickey M, Considine R, Israel R, Mahar T, McCammon M, Tyndall G, et al. Leptin is related to body fat content in male distance runners. Am J Physiol. 1996;271:E938-40 pubmed..Furthermore, the data suggest that, in trained individuals with low leptin concentrations, acute exhaustive exercise has no immediate effect on circulating leptin concentration...
- Boucher R. Airway surface dehydration in cystic fibrosis: pathogenesis and therapy. Annu Rev Med. 2007;58:157-70 pubmed..Thus, rehydration therapies may slow the progression of CF lung disease in patients with established bacterial infection and may prevent the onset of CF lung disease if initiated early in life. ..
- Beaston Blaakman A, Shepard D, Stone N, Shevitz A. Cost-effectiveness of clinical interventions for AIDS wasting. AIDS Care. 2007;19:996-1001 pubmed..PRT was the most cost-effective treatment for AIDS wasting, particularly from an institutional perspective. Third party payers should consider coverage of PRT. ..
- Isasi C, Carnethon M, Ayala G, Arredondo E, Bangdiwala S, Daviglus M, et al. The Hispanic Community Children's Health Study/Study of Latino Youth (SOL Youth): design, objectives, and procedures. Ann Epidemiol. 2014;24:29-35 pubmed publisher..This article describes the study methodology and considers advantages and limitations of embedding a cohort of children within a well-characterized cohort of adults. ..
- Heo J, Campbell S. Superoxide anion radical modulates the activity of Ras and Ras-related GTPases by a radical-based mechanism similar to that of nitric oxide. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:12438-45 pubmed..These results indicate that the mechanism of O2*-mediated Ras guanine nucleotide dissociation is similar to that of NO/O2-mediated Ras guanine nucleotide dissociation. ..
- Stratton R, Apicella M, Mines P. A fluid filtration comparison of gutta-percha versus Resilon, a new soft resin endodontic obturation system. J Endod. 2006;32:642-5 pubmed..05) using Resilon with Epiphany sealer compared to gutta-percha and AH Plus sealer. There was no statistical significance between any of the irrigants used for either obturation group. ..
- Bushel P, Wolfinger R, Gibson G. Simultaneous clustering of gene expression data with clinical chemistry and pathological evaluations reveals phenotypic prototypes. BMC Syst Biol. 2007;1:15 pubmed..The use of well-known and traditional measurements directly in the clustering provides some guarantee that the resulting clusters will be meaningfully interpretable. ..
- Dhasarathy A, Kajita M, Wade P. The transcription factor snail mediates epithelial to mesenchymal transitions by repression of estrogen receptor-alpha. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:2907-18 pubmed..Thus, cross-talk among ER-alpha, Snail, and the TGF-beta pathway appears to control critical phenotypic properties of breast cancer cells. ..
- Davis B, Haneke K, Miner K, Kowalik A, Barrett J, Peddada S, et al. The fibroid growth study: determinants of therapeutic intervention. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2009;18:725-32 pubmed publisher..Therefore, aggressive management of pain and bleeding may be effective in reducing the need for surgical intervention. ..
- Kappelman M, Crandall W, Colletti R, Goudie A, Leibowitz I, Duffy L, et al. Short pediatric Crohn's disease activity index for quality improvement and observational research. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:112-7 pubmed publisher..60, P < 0.001 versus 0.61, P < 0.001). The Short PCDAI is a practical and valid tool to measure pediatric CD activity. Its use should facilitate quality improvement and observational research. ..
- Davis K, Crankshaw E, Farrelly M, Niederdeppe J, Watson K. The impact of state tobacco control program funding cuts on teens' exposure to tobacco control interventions: evidence from Florida. Am J Health Promot. 2011;25:176-85 pubmed publisher..Research on the correlates of smoking suggests that these budget cuts could have a significant impact on tobacco-related outcomes among teens. ..
- Ning J, Hong T, Ward A, Pi J, Liu Z, Liu H, et al. Constitutive role for IRE1?-XBP1 signaling pathway in the insulin-mediated hepatic lipogenic program. Endocrinology. 2011;152:2247-55 pubmed publisher..Besides, the insulin-mediated protein synthesis is tightly connected with the insulin-mediated lipogenic program. ..
- Brar S, Meyer J, Bortner C, Van Houten B, Martin W. Mitochondrial DNA-depleted A549 cells are resistant to bleomycin. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;303:L413-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that A549 ?(0) cells are more resistant to bleomycin toxicity than are parent A549 cells, likely in part due to the depletion of mtDNA and impairment of mitochondria-dependent apoptotic pathways. ..
- ..In this article, I examine and critique MacFarlane's defense of the virtue-based approach. I argue that virtue-based and principle-based approaches to ethics are complementary and that they both can help promote research integrity. ..
- Yin H, Hu M, Liang X, Ajmo J, Li X, Bataller R, et al. Deletion of SIRT1 from hepatocytes in mice disrupts lipin-1 signaling and aggravates alcoholic fatty liver. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:801-11 pubmed publisher..We compared mice with liver-specific deletion of Sirt1 (Sirt1LKO) mice with their LOX littermates (controls)...
- Blum M, Liao S, Good S, de Miranda P. Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of zidovudine in humans. Am J Med. 1988;85:189-94 pubmed..Pharmacokinetic questions related to optimal use of the drug are currently being addressed...
- Wolfe S, Chey W, Washington M, Harding J, Heath A, McSorley D, et al. Tolerability and safety of alosetron during long-term administration in female and male irritable bowel syndrome patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001;96:803-11 pubmed..i.d. for 12 months was well tolerated. Constipation is the most frequent adverse event, with a higher incidence of transient constipation in alosetron-treated patients, typically occurring in the first month of treatment. ..
- Zhang W, Wang T, Pei Z, Miller D, Wu X, Block M, et al. Aggregated alpha-synuclein activates microglia: a process leading to disease progression in Parkinson's disease. FASEB J. 2005;19:533-42 pubmed..Finally, NADPH oxidase could be an ideal target for potential pharmaceutical intervention, given that it plays a critical role in alpha-synuclein-mediated microglial activation and associated neurotoxicity. ..
- Birnbaum L, Cohen Hubal E. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers: a case study for using biomonitoring data to address risk assessment questions. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:1770-5 pubmed
- Atsawasuwan P, Mochida Y, Katafuchi M, Kaku M, Fong K, Csiszar K, et al. Lysyl oxidase binds transforming growth factor-beta and regulates its signaling via amine oxidase activity. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:34229-40 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that LOX binds to mature TGF-beta1 and enzymatically regulates its signaling in bone and thus may play an important role in bone maintenance and remodeling. ..
- Scollon E, Starr J, Godin S, DeVito M, Hughes M. In vitro metabolism of pyrethroid pesticides by rat and human hepatic microsomes and cytochrome p450 isoforms. Drug Metab Dispos. 2009;37:221-8 pubmed publisher..These species differences and isomer interactions in metabolism of pyrethroids should be considered when assessing the potential adverse health effects of pyrethroid pesticides. ..
- Bird G, Hwang S, Smyth J, Fukushima M, Boyles R, Putney J. STIM1 is a calcium sensor specialized for digital signaling. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1724-9 pubmed publisher..This arrangement nicely provides a clearly defined and unambiguous signaling system, translating a digital calcium release signal into calcium influx that can signal to downstream effectors. ..
- White S, Birnbaum L. An overview of the effects of dioxins and dioxin-like compounds on vertebrates, as documented in human and ecological epidemiology. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev. 2009;27:197-211 pubmed publisher..Given these concerns, prudent public health policy should include the continued reduction of exposures. ..
- Heidenfelder B, Johnson M, Hudgens E, Inmon J, Hamilton R, Neas L, et al. Increased plasma reactive oxidant levels and their relationship to blood cells, total IgE, and allergen-specific IgE levels in asthmatic children. J Asthma. 2010;47:106-11 pubmed publisher..Measurement of plasma reactive oxidants may be a useful adjunct diagnostic tool and potential mechanistic indicator relevant to the study of asthma and asthma exacerbation...
- Shi M, London S, Chiu G, Hancock D, Zaykin D, Weinberg C. Using imputed genotypes for relative risk estimation in case-parent studies. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;173:553-9 pubmed publisher..This method should be useful to investigators who wish to conduct meta-analyses using imputed SNP data from both case-parent triad and case-control studies. ..
- Lawton K, Cudkowicz M, Brown M, Alexander D, Caffrey R, Wulff J, et al. Biochemical alterations associated with ALS. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2012;13:110-8 pubmed publisher..The metabolomics approach can generate novel hypotheses regarding ALS disease mechanisms with the potential to identify therapeutic targets and novel diagnostic biomarkers. ..
- Mantha M, Yeary E, Trent J, Creed P, Kubachka K, Hanley T, et al. Estimating Inorganic Arsenic Exposure from U.S. Rice and Total Water Intakes. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:057005 pubmed publisher..In drinking water, iAs is the primary form of arsenic (As), while dietary As speciation techniques are used to differentiate iAs from less toxic arsenicals in food matrices...
- Young L, Buse J, Weaver M, Vu M, Mitchell C, Blakeney T, et al. Glucose Self-monitoring in Non-Insulin-Treated Patients With Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care Settings: A Randomized Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:920-929 pubmed publisher..The value of self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) levels in patients with non-insulin-treated type 2 diabetes has been debated...
- Metcalfe S. International collaboration in pediatric nursing: mutual learning success. Creat Nurs. 2010;16:8-12 pubmed..Nurses from two countries joined in an educational partnership to share dialogue and clinical experience in the United Kingdom. ..
- Johns D, Stanek L, Walker K, Benromdhane S, Hubbell B, Ross M, et al. Practical advancement of multipollutant scientific and risk assessment approaches for ambient air pollution. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120:1238-42 pubmed publisher..Successfully advancing methods for conducting these assessments will require collaborative and parallel efforts between the scientific and environmental regulatory and policy communities. ..
- Peterson S, Trabalzini L, Brtva T, Fischer T, Altschuler D, Martelli P, et al. Identification of a novel RalGDS-related protein as a candidate effector for Ras and Rap1. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:29903-8 pubmed..We conclude that RGL2 may be an effector for Ras and/or Rap proteins. ..
- Raymond E, Dominik R. Contraceptive effectiveness of two spermicides: a randomized trial. Obstet Gynecol. 1999;93:896-903 pubmed
- Derose E, Kirby T, Mueller G, Bebenek K, Garcia Diaz M, Blanco L, et al. Solution structure of the lyase domain of human DNA polymerase lambda. Biochemistry. 2003;42:9564-74 pubmed..g., K60 in pol beta and K307 in pol lambda. Additionally, on the basis of the structural alignment obtained, several previously proposed mechanistic hypotheses can be evaluated. ..
- Maronpot R, Sills R, Johnson G. Applications of magnetic resonance microscopy. Toxicol Pathol. 2004;32 Suppl 2:42-8 pubmed..More specifically, this application is the use of magnetic resonance microscopy (MRM) in conjunction with new staining methodologies that now make MRM routinely available to the widest range of investigators. ..
- McCulloch S, Kunkel T. Measuring the fidelity of translesion DNA synthesis. Methods Enzymol. 2006;408:341-55 pubmed..The assay can be used with other lesions in various sequence contexts and with other polymerases with or without accessory proteins. ..
- Yoshioka H, Kamitani H, Watanabe T, Eling T. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene (NAG-1/GDF15) expression is increased by the histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33129-37 pubmed publisher..TSA also increases the stability of NAG-1 mRNA. TSA-induced NAG-1 expression involves multiple mechanisms at the transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels. ..
- Ross V, Pan P, Owen M, Seid M, Harris L, Clyne B, et al. Neostigmine decreases bupivacaine use by patient-controlled epidural analgesia during labor: a randomized controlled study. Anesth Analg. 2009;109:524-31 pubmed publisher..We therefore tested the hypothesis that epidural neostigmine in combination with bupivacaine by continuous infusion during labor would reduce the amount of bupivacaine required...
- Rotroff D, Wetmore B, Dix D, Ferguson S, Clewell H, Houck K, et al. Incorporating human dosimetry and exposure into high-throughput in vitro toxicity screening. Toxicol Sci. 2010;117:348-58 pubmed publisher..Importantly, these tools are necessary to move beyond hazard rankings to estimates of possible in vivo responses based on in vitro screens. ..
- Carroll F, Muresan A, Blough B, Navarro H, Mascarella S, Eaton J, et al. Synthesis of 2-(substituted phenyl)-3,5,5-trimethylmorpholine analogues and their effects on monoamine uptake, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor function, and behavioral effects of nicotine. J Med Chem. 2011;54:1441-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings illuminate mechanisms of action of 2 analogues and identify deshydroxybupropion analogues 5a-5h as possibly superior candidates as aids to smoking cessation...
- Gao J, Huang X, Park Y, Hollenbeck A, Chen H. An exploratory study on CLU, CR1 and PICALM and Parkinson disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24211 pubmed publisher..05). Our exploratory analysis suggests an association of CLU with PD. This exploratory finding and the role of dementia in explaining this finding needs further investigation. ..
- Lawton M, Cashman J, Cresteil T, Dolphin C, Elfarra A, Hines R, et al. A nomenclature for the mammalian flavin-containing monooxygenase gene family based on amino acid sequence identities. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;308:254-7 pubmed..The proposed classification considers only members of the mammalian flavin-containing monooxygenase gene family and has no bearing on the generally accepted definition of a multisubstrate flavin-containing monooxygenase. ..
- Thomas K, Pellizzari E, Berry M. Population-based dietary intakes and tap water concentrations for selected elements in the EPA region V National Human Exposure Assessment Survey (NHEXAS). J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol. 1999;9:402-13 pubmed..Only small percentages of the population exceeded health-based intake reference values or concentrations equal to regulatory levels in water for Pb, As, and Cd...
- Olden K, Wilson S. Environmental health and genomics: visions and implications. Nat Rev Genet. 2000;1:149-53 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the goals of the Environmental Genome Project, its implications and, in particular, its potential effect on our ability to assess human disease risk in the future. ..
- Feldblum P, Kuyoh M, Bwayo J, Omari M, Wong E, Tweedy K, et al. Female condom introduction and sexually transmitted infection prevalence: results of a community intervention trial in Kenya. AIDS. 2001;15:1037-44 pubmed..It is unclear which aspects of the intervention -- STI education, condom promotion, case management -- were associated with decreased STI prevalence from baseline to follow-up. ..
- Kozma C, Barghout V, Slaton T, Frech F, Reeder C. A comparison of office-based physician visits for irritable bowel syndrome and for migraine and asthma. Manag Care Interface. 2002;15:40-3, 49 pubmed..Prescription rates were similar for all three conditions. In terms of resource consumption, this chronic disorder places a burden on patients that is comparable with that of such costly conditions as asthma and migraine. ..
- Ingram J, Rice A, Geisenhoffer K, Madtes D, Bonner J. IL-13 and IL-1beta promote lung fibroblast growth through coordinated up-regulation of PDGF-AA and PDGF-Ralpha. FASEB J. 2004;18:1132-4 pubmed..Our findings indicate that IL-13 acts in synergy with IL-1beta to stimulate growth by coordinately up-regulating PDGF-AA and the PDGF-Ralpha, respectively. ..
- Liu D, Zhang Z, Teng C. Estrogen-related receptor-gamma and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha regulate estrogen-related receptor-alpha gene expression via a conserved multi-hormone response element. J Mol Endocrinol. 2005;34:473-87 pubmed..The present study demonstrates that the MHRE of the ERRalpha gene is a target for ERRgamma transactivation, which is enhanced by PGC-1alpha. ..
- Emch M, Feldacker C, Yunus M, Streatfield P, DinhThiem V, Canh D, et al. Local environmental predictors of cholera in Bangladesh and Vietnam. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78:823-32 pubmed..Local environmental parameters have consistent effects when cholera is regular and more prevalent in endemic settings, but in situations where cholera epidemics are rare there are differential environmental effects. ..
- Judson R, Richard A, Dix D, Houck K, Martin M, Kavlock R, et al. The toxicity data landscape for environmental chemicals. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:685-95 pubmed publisher..About one-quarter have been assessed in at least one highly curated toxicology evaluation database such as the U.S. EPA Toxicology Reference Database, U.S. EPA Integrated Risk Information System, and the National Toxicology Program. ..
- Benbrahim Tallaa L, Tokar E, Diwan B, Dill A, Coppin J, Waalkes M. Cadmium malignantly transforms normal human breast epithelial cells into a basal-like phenotype. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:1847-52 pubmed publisher..Direct cadmium induction of a malignant phenotype in human breast epithelial cells strongly fortifies a potential role in breast cancer. ..
- Song I, Borland J, Min S, Lou Y, Chen S, Patel P, et al. Effects of etravirine alone and with ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitors on the pharmacokinetics of dolutegravir. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:3517-21 pubmed publisher..The combination of DTG and ETR alone should be avoided; however, DTG may be coadministered with ETR without a dosage adjustment if LPV/RTV or DRV/RTV is concurrently administered. ..
- Williams Piehota P, Sirois F, Bann C, Isenberg K, Walsh E. Agents of change: how do complementary and alternative medicine providers play a role in health behavior change?. Altern Ther Health Med. 2011;17:22-30 pubmed
- Burke H, Ambasa Shisanya C. Qualitative study of reasons for discontinuation of injectable contraceptives among users and salient reference groups in Kenya. Afr J Reprod Health. 2011;15:67-78 pubmed..The results suggest points of intervention for increasing continuation in this community and similar resource-poor settings. ..
- Song I, Borland J, Chen S, Savina P, Peppercorn A, Piscitelli S. Effect of prednisone on the pharmacokinetics of the integrase inhibitor dolutegravir. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:4394-7 pubmed publisher..No dose adjustment is required for DTG coadministered with prednisone. (This study has been registered at ClinicalTrials.gov under registration no. NCT01425099.). ..
- Nugent M, Huang S, Sander M. Characterization of the apurinic endonuclease activity of Drosophila Rrp1. Biochemistry. 1993;32:11445-52 pubmed..Therefore, Rrp1 cleaves the phosphodiester backbone at one position 5' to the apurinic site and leaves a 3'-hydroxyl terminus. Rrp1 is a class II apurinic endonuclease and is likely to be important in DNA repair in Drosophila. ..
- Kilgo P, Osler T, Meredith W. The worst injury predicts mortality outcome the best: rethinking the role of multiple injuries in trauma outcome scoring. J Trauma. 2003;55:599-606; discussion 606-7 pubmed..Regardless of scoring type (ICD/AIS SRRs or AIS severity), a patient's worst injury discriminates survival better, fits better, and explains more variance than currently used multiple injury scores. ..
- Braithwaite E, Kedar P, Lan L, Polosina Y, Asagoshi K, Poltoratsky V, et al. DNA polymerase lambda protects mouse fibroblasts against oxidative DNA damage and is recruited to sites of DNA damage/repair. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:31641-7 pubmed..From these data, we conclude that pol lambda protects cells against oxidative stress and suggest that it participates in oxidative DNA damage base excision repair. ..
- GREENE E, Batona G, Hallad J, Johnson S, Neema S, Tolley E. Acceptability and adherence of a candidate microbicide gel among high-risk women in Africa and India. Cult Health Sex. 2010;12:739-54 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for future trial designs, predicting determinants of microbicide use and acceptability and marketing and educational efforts should a safe and efficacious microbicide be found. ..
- Wang X, Chorley B, Pittman G, Kleeberger S, Brothers J, Liu G, et al. Genetic variation and antioxidant response gene expression in the bronchial airway epithelium of smokers at risk for lung cancer. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11934 pubmed publisher..These polymorphisms might ultimately contribute to lung cancer risk via their effect on the airway gene expression response to tobacco-smoke exposure. ..
- Lopez L, Newmann S, Grimes D, Nanda K, Schulz K. Immediate start of hormonal contraceptives for contraception. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;12:CD006260 pubmed publisher..Some differences were associated with contraceptive type rather than initiation method, i.e., immediate ring versus immediate COC. More studies are needed of immediate versus conventional start of the same hormonal contraceptive. ..
- Lunn R, Langlois R, Hsieh L, Thompson C, Bell D. XRCC1 polymorphisms: effects on aflatoxin B1-DNA adducts and glycophorin A variant frequency. Cancer Res. 1999;59:2557-61 pubmed..1 x 10(-6); P = 0.01). No significant effects were observed for other XRCC1 polymorphisms. These results suggest that the Arg399Gln amino acid change may alter the phenotype of the XRCC1 protein, resulting in deficient DNA repair. ..
- Sharief F, Vojta P, Ropp P, Copeland W. Cloning and chromosomal mapping of the human DNA polymerase theta (POLQ), the eighth human DNA polymerase. Genomics. 1999;59:90-6 pubmed..31. ..
- Sokal D, Gates D, Amatya R, Dominik R. Two randomized controlled trials comparing the tubal ring and filshie clip for tubal sterilization. Fertil Steril. 2000;74:525-33 pubmed..The Filshie Clip group had three cases of spontaneous clip expulsion during the follow-up period. Both the Filshie Clip and Tubal Ring are effective and safe for use in tubal occlusion. ..
- Kim Y, Nakanishi G, Oudes A, Kim K, Wang H, Kilpatrick D, et al. Tsp57: a novel gene induced during a specific stage of spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2004;70:106-13 pubmed..The localization suggests a nuclear function for Tsp57. Pull-down analysis demonstrated that Tsp57 and RAP80 form a complex in intact cells. ..
- Shim M, Eling T. Protein kinase C-dependent regulation of NAG-1/placental bone morphogenic protein/MIC-1 expression in LNCaP prostate carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18636-42 pubmed..These results demonstrate that NAG-1 expression is up-regulated by TPA in LNCaP cells through a PKC-dependent pathway involving the activation of NF-kappa B. ..
- Tan Y, Liao K, Conolly R, Blount B, Mason A, Clewell H. Use of a physiologically based pharmacokinetic model to identify exposures consistent with human biomonitoring data for chloroform. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2006;69:1727-56 pubmed..Lastly, the model was used in a reverse dosimetry approach to estimate distributions of exposure consistent with concentrations of chloroform measured in human blood and exhaled breath. ..
- Muniz Medina V, Jones S, Maglich J, Galardi C, Hollingsworth R, Kazmierski W, et al. The relative activity of "function sparing" HIV-1 entry inhibitors on viral entry and CCR5 internalization: is allosteric functional selectivity a valuable therapeutic property?. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;75:490-501 pubmed publisher..These data are discussed in terms of the possible benefits of sparing natural CCR5 chemokine function in HIV-1 entry inhibition treatment for AIDS involving allosteric inhibitors. ..
- Sanders A, Slade G, John M, Steele J, Suominen Taipale A, Lahti S, et al. A cross-national comparison of income gradients in oral health quality of life in four welfare states: application of the Korpi and Palme typology. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009;63:569-74 pubmed publisher..The coverage and generosity of welfare state benefits appear to influence levels of inequality in population oral health quality of life. ..
- Garcia M, Ray D, Lackford B, Rubino M, Olden K, Roberts J. Arachidonic acid stimulates cell adhesion through a novel p38 MAPK-RhoA signaling pathway that involves heat shock protein 27. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:20936-45 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that n-6 dietary fatty acids stimulate a set of interactions that regulates cell adhesion through RhoA and ROCK II via a p38 MAPK-dependent association of HSP27 and p115RhoGEF. ..
- Halpern V, Lopez L, Grimes D, Stockton L, Gallo M. Strategies to improve adherence and acceptability of hormonal methods of contraception. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD004317 pubmed publisher..High-quality RCTs with adequate power and well-designed interventions could help identify ways to improve adherence to, and continuation of, hormonal contraceptive methods. ..
- Bennett W, Wu J, Fuller F, Balcazar J, Zeman K, Duckworth H, et al. Duration of action of hypertonic saline on mucociliary clearance in the normal lung. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015;118:1483-90 pubmed publisher..4 vs. 43.7% (P < 0.002); and clearance through 6 h = 39.4 vs. 50.2% (P < 0.02). This apparent slowing of MC in healthy subjects 4-h post-HS administration may reflect depletion of airway mucus following acute HS administration. ..
- Sharief F, Lee H, Leuderman M, Lundwall A, Deaven L, Lee C, et al. Human prostatic acid phosphatase: cDNA cloning, gene mapping and protein sequence homology with lysosomal acid phosphatase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;160:79-86 pubmed..The Acp-2 gene coding for lysosomal acid phosphatase has previously been located on chromosome 11, while the Acp-1 gene coding for red blood cell acid phosphatase is on chromosome 2. ..
- Steiner M, Hylton Kong T, Figueroa J, Hobbs M, Behets F, Smikle M, et al. Does a choice of condoms impact sexually transmitted infection incidence? A randomized, controlled trial. Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33:31-5 pubmed..35). A choice of condoms may increase perceived acceptability but not lead to increased condom use and subsequently lower sexually transmitted infection rates. ..
- Oakley R, Hudson C, Sjaastad M, Loomis C. The ligand-independent translocation assay: an enabling technology for screening orphan G protein-coupled receptors by arrestin recruitment. Methods Enzymol. 2006;414:50-63 pubmed..In summary, the LITe assay is a powerful new technology that enables a faster and more reliable path forward in the deorphanization of GPCRs with Transfluor. ..
- Rittmaster R, Fleshner N, Thompson I. Pharmacological approaches to reducing the risk of prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2009;55:1064-73 pubmed publisher..Finasteride, however, does enhance the utility of PSA for diagnosing high-grade cancers. ..
- Wouters M, Lambrechts D, Knapp M, Cleynen I, Whorwell P, Agreus L, et al. Genetic variants in CDC42 and NXPH1 as susceptibility factors for constipation and diarrhoea predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2014;63:1103-11 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to validate our findings and to determine the mechanisms underlying IBS pathophysiology. ..
- Briscoe C, Tadayyon M, Andrews J, Benson W, Chambers J, Eilert M, et al. The orphan G protein-coupled receptor GPR40 is activated by medium and long chain fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:11303-11 pubmed..These data suggest that some of the physiological effects of fatty acids in pancreatic islets and brain may be mediated through a cell-surface receptor. ..
- Luo H, Fang X, Liao Y, Elliott A, Zhang X. Associations of special care units and outcomes of residents with dementia: 2004 national nursing home survey. Gerontologist. 2010;50:509-18 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to assess specific outcome changes among SCU residents and to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of having such units. ..
- Lopez L, Steiner M, Grimes D, Hilgenberg D, Schulz K. Strategies for communicating contraceptive effectiveness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD006964 pubmed publisher..Follow-up should be incorporated to assess retention of knowledge over time. The overall quality of evidence was considered to be low for this review, given that five of the seven studies provided low or very low quality evidence. ..
- Tumbale P, Williams J, Schellenberg M, Kunkel T, Williams R. Aprataxin resolves adenylated RNA-DNA junctions to maintain genome integrity. Nature. 2014;506:111-5 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that accumulation of adenylated RNA-DNA may contribute to neurological disease. ..
- Braithwaite E, Prasad R, Shock D, Hou E, Beard W, Wilson S. DNA polymerase lambda mediates a back-up base excision repair activity in extracts of mouse embryonic fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18469-75 pubmed..In addition, the pol lambda antibody strongly reduced in vitro BER in the pol beta -/- cell extract. These data indicate that pol lambda is able to contribute to BER in mouse fibroblast cell extract. ..
- Vannappagari V, Nkhoma E, Atashili J, Laurent S, Zhao H. Prevalence, severity, and duration of thrombocytopenia among HIV patients in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Platelets. 2011;22:611-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, while the prevalence of severe thrombocytopenia was low, it occurred at levels associated with bleeding and was persistent among a small proportion of patients despite receipt of HAART. ..
- Tang J, Lopez L, Mody S, Grimes D. Hormonal and intrauterine methods for contraception for women aged 25 years and younger. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;11:CD009805 pubmed publisher..Limited data suggests that the levonorgestrel intrauterine system may be an acceptable alternative to the combined oral contraceptive in this population. ..
- Coons L, Hewitt S, Burkholder A, McDonnell D, Korach K. DNA Sequence Constraints Define Functionally Active Steroid Nuclear Receptor Binding Sites in Chromatin. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3212-3234 pubmed publisher..These findings define the transcriptional grammar necessary to predict functionality from regulatory sequences, with a multitude of future implications...
- Dittman W, Nelson S, Greer P, Horton E, Palomba M, McCachren S. Characterization of thrombomodulin expression in response to retinoic acid and identification of a retinoic acid response element in the human thrombomodulin gene. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:16925-32 pubmed..Deletion of, and mutations introduced into, the potential retinoic acid response element confirm the functional response in transient transfections. ..