Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications3683 found, 100 shown here
- Wang L, Motoi T, Khanin R, Olshen A, Mertens F, Bridge J, et al. Identification of a novel, recurrent HEY1-NCOA2 fusion in mesenchymal chondrosarcoma based on a genome-wide screen of exon-level expression data. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2012;51:127-39 pubmed publisher..The novel HEY1-NCOA2 fusion appears to be the defining and diagnostic gene fusion in mesenchymal chondrosarcomas. ..
- Maute R, Schneider C, Sumazin P, Holmes A, Califano A, Basso K, et al. tRNA-derived microRNA modulates proliferation and the DNA damage response and is down-regulated in B cell lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:1404-9 pubmed publisher..These results establish that functionally active microRNAs can be derived from tRNA, thus defining a class of genetic entities with potentially important biological roles. ..
- Balwani M, Doheny D, Bishop D, Nazarenko I, Yasuda M, Dailey H, et al. Loss-of-function ferrochelatase and gain-of-function erythroid-specific 5-aminolevulinate synthase mutations causing erythropoietic protoporphyria and x-linked protoporphyria in North American patients reveal novel mutations and a high prevalence of . Mol Med. 2013;19:26-35 pubmed publisher..Identification of XLP patients permits accurate diagnosis and counseling of at-risk relatives and asymptomatic heterozygotes. ..
- Sourisseau M, Michta M, Zony C, Israelow B, Hopcraft S, Narbus C, et al. Temporal analysis of hepatitis C virus cell entry with occludin directed blocking antibodies. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003244 pubmed publisher..These results fit a model where the tight junction region is the last to be encountered by the virion prior to internalization...
- Furlanetto R, Park S, Damle U, Sieminski S, Kung Y, Siegal N, et al. Posterior displacement of the lamina cribrosa in glaucoma: in vivo interindividual and intereye comparisons. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:4836-42 pubmed publisher..These results support the concept of posterior LC displacement in glaucoma and provide the basis for future in vivo human studies. ..
- ElsÃ¤sser S, D Arcy S. Towards a mechanism for histone chaperones. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1819:211-221 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Histone chaperones and Chromatin assembly. ..
- Dam T, Peters K, Fragala M, Cawthon P, Harris T, McLean R, et al. An evidence-based comparison of operational criteria for the presence of sarcopenia. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014;69:584-90 pubmed publisher..Consensus on the operational criteria for the diagnosis of sarcopenia is much needed to characterize populations for study and to identify adults for treatment. ..
- Sullivan J, Sulli C, Nilo A, Yasmeen A, Ozorowski G, Sanders R, et al. High-Throughput Protein Engineering Improves the Antigenicity and Stability of Soluble HIV-1 Envelope Glycoprotein SOSIP Trimers. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..The strategies described here may be useful for identifying a wider range of antigenically and structurally improved soluble trimers based on multiple genotypes for use in programs intended to create a broadly protective HIV-1 vaccine. ..
- Zhu X, Kuster B, Mann M, Petrini J, de Lange T. Cell-cycle-regulated association of RAD50/MRE11/NBS1 with TRF2 and human telomeres. Nat Genet. 2000;25:347-52 pubmed..Instead, we propose that the MRE11 complex functions at telomeres, possibly by modulating t-loop formation. ..
- Zaenglein A, Chang M, Meehan S, Axelrod F, Orlow S. Extensive Riga-Fede disease of the lip and tongue. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;47:445-7 pubmed..We report the case of a 10-month-old boy with extensive Riga-Fede disease involving the lip and tongue that prompted a diagnosis of congenital autonomic dysfunction with universal pain loss...
- Balasubramanian V, Grabowski E, Bini A, Nemerson Y. Platelets, circulating tissue factor, and fibrin colocalize in ex vivo thrombi: real-time fluorescence images of thrombus formation and propagation under defined flow conditions. Blood. 2002;100:2787-92 pubmed..These data further support our earlier observations that, in addition to TF present in the vessel wall, there is a pool of TF in circulating blood that contributes to the propagation of thrombosis at a site of vascular injury. ..
- Schaefer S, Soliemanzadeh P, Della Rocca D, Yoo G, Maher E, Milite J, et al. Endoscopic and transconjunctival orbital decompression for thyroid-related orbital apex compression. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:508-13 pubmed..The beneficial effects observed in the patients with visual loss continued to improve over time and were significant (P <.001). ..
- Andorfer C, Kress Y, Espinoza M, de Silva R, Tucker K, Barde Y, et al. Hyperphosphorylation and aggregation of tau in mice expressing normal human tau isoforms. J Neurochem. 2003;86:582-90 pubmed..This pathologic tau accumulates in the cell bodies and dendrites of neurons in a spatiotemporally relevant distribution. ..
- Wang Y, Melana S, Baker B, Bleiweiss I, Fernandez Cobo M, Mandeli J, et al. High prevalence of MMTV-like env gene sequences in gestational breast cancer. Med Oncol. 2003;20:233-6 pubmed..Whereas 30-38% of sporadic BC have the sequences, in gestational BC the prevalence is 62%. We suggest that hormonal response elements present in the MMTV-like LTR may play a role in promoting cell growth, as they do in the mouse system. ..
- Wolf D, Goff S. TRIM28 mediates primer binding site-targeted silencing of murine leukemia virus in embryonic cells. Cell. 2007;131:46-57 pubmed..The identification of TRIM28 as a retroviral silencer adds to the growing body of evidence that many TRIM family proteins are involved in retroviral restriction. ..
- Teloken P, Parker M, Mohideen N, Mulhall J. Predictors of response to sildenafil citrate following radiation therapy for prostate cancer. J Sex Med. 2009;6:1135-1140 pubmed publisher..Modality of radiation delivery was not predictive of sildenafil failure. A steady decrease in sildenafil response was seen with increasing duration after RT. Several factors were predictive of sildenafil failure. ..
- Sterne Marr R, Leahey P, Bresee J, Dickson H, Ho W, Ragusa M, et al. GRK2 activation by receptors: role of the kinase large lobe and carboxyl-terminal tail. Biochemistry. 2009;48:4285-93 pubmed publisher..V477D was also resistant to activation by agonist-treated beta(2)AR. Therefore, Val477 and other residues in the C-tail are expected to play a role in the activation of GRK2 by GPCRs. ..
- Fishman S, Factor S, Balestrieri C, Fan X, Dibisceglie A, Desai S, et al. Mutations in the hepatitis C virus core gene are associated with advanced liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:3205-13 pubmed publisher..Prospective investigation is needed to establish the temporal relationship between appearance of the viral mutations and development of HCC...
- ..Treatment options for frail, older adults are discussed, including physiologic system-targeted interventions and geriatric models of care. ..
- Min J, Dunning A, Lin F, Achenbach S, Al Mallah M, Berman D, et al. Rationale and design of the CONFIRM (COronary CT Angiography EvaluatioN For Clinical Outcomes: An InteRnational Multicenter) Registry. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2011;5:84-92 pubmed publisher..The results of the CONFIRM registry will provide valuable information about the optimal methods for using CCTA findings. ..
- Gorczyca W, Sun Z, Cronin W, Li X, Mau S, Tugulea S. Immunophenotypic pattern of myeloid populations by flow cytometry analysis. Methods Cell Biol. 2011;103:221-66 pubmed publisher..Detailed phenotypic characteristics of neoplastic monocytes and dysplastic granulocytes with their differential diagnosis are also presented. ..
- King A, Hasin D, O Connor S, McNamara P, Cao D. A Prospective 5-Year Re-examination of Alcohol Response in Heavy Drinkers Progressing in Alcohol Use Disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2016;79:489-98 pubmed publisher..While there are multiple pathways to development of a disorder as complex as AUD, maintenance of alcohol stimulatory and rewarding effects may play an important role in the continuation and progression of alcohol addiction. ..
- van de Nes J, Gessi M, Sucker A, Möller I, Stiller M, Horn S, et al. Targeted next generation sequencing reveals unique mutation profile of primary melanocytic tumors of the central nervous system. J Neurooncol. 2016;127:435-44 pubmed publisher..Considering chromosome 3 and BAP1 loss are robust markers of poor prognosis in uveal melanoma, it will prove interesting to determine whether these genomic alterations are also of prognostic significance in MT-CNS. ..
- Zhou W, Resh M. Differential membrane binding of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 matrix protein. J Virol. 1996;70:8540-8 pubmed..It is likely that such a conformational change results in an N-terminal myristyl switch which governs differential membrane binding. ..
- Lebwohl M, Ast E, Callen J, Cullen S, Hong S, Kulp Shorten C, et al. Once-daily tazarotene gel versus twice-daily fluocinonide cream in the treatment of plaque psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998;38:705-11 pubmed..Tazarotene 0.1% and 0.05% gels were safe and effective in the treatment of mild-to-moderate plaque psoriasis. ..
- Edelmann L, Pandita R, Morrow B. Low-copy repeats mediate the common 3-Mb deletion in patients with velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 1999;64:1076-86 pubmed..Examination of two three-generation families showed that meiotic intrachromosomal recombination mediated the deletion. ..
- Dhodapkar M, Steinman R, Krasovsky J, Munz C, Bhardwaj N. Antigen-specific inhibition of effector T cell function in humans after injection of immature dendritic cells. J Exp Med. 2001;193:233-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate the feasibility of antigen-specific inhibition of effector T cell function in vivo in humans and urge caution with the use of immature DCs when trying to enhance tumor or microbial immunity. ..
- Ghiso J, Revesz T, Holton J, Rostagno A, Lashley T, Houlden H, et al. Chromosome 13 dementia syndromes as models of neurodegeneration. Amyloid. 2001;8:277-84 pubmed..We propose FBD and FDD, the chromosome 13 dementia syndromes, as models to study the molecular basis of neurofibrillary degeneration, cell death and amyloid formation in the brain...
- Lado F, Legatt A, LaSala P, Shinnar S. Alteration of the cortical motor map in a patient with intractable focal seizures. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2002;72:812-5 pubmed..The location of the motor representation of the face differed from the location obtained at age 7. This case provides direct electrophysiological evidence of reorganisation of the cortical motor map in the human brain. ..
- Davey M, Fang L, McInerney P, Georgescu R, O Donnell M. The DnaC helicase loader is a dual ATP/ADP switch protein. EMBO J. 2002;21:3148-59 pubmed..This dual switching process may underlie the sensitivity of DnaB to even small fluctuations in DnaC levels. ..
- Chang C, Adler C, Krause M, Clark S, Gertler F, Tessier Lavigne M, et al. MIG-10/lamellipodin and AGE-1/PI3K promote axon guidance and outgrowth in response to slit and netrin. Curr Biol. 2006;16:854-62 pubmed..mig-10 and age-1 lipid signaling promote axon outgrowth; unc-34 and to a lesser extent mig-10 promote filopodia formation. Surprisingly, filopodia are largely dispensable for accurate axon guidance. ..
- Staskin D. Trospium chloride: Distinct among other anticholinergic agents available for the treatment of overactive bladder. Urol Clin North Am. 2006;33:465-73, viii pubmed..The low incidence of adverse event of central nervous system effects and the efficacy parameters of "urgency" and "onset of action" are highlighted. ..
- Petersen B, Jenkins S, Yuan S, Lamm C, Szporn A. Nocardia farcinica isolated from bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of a child with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2007;26:858-9 pubmed..We present the first reported case of a child with cystic fibrosis harboring Nocardia farcinica. ..
- Silver R, Boahen K, Grillner S, Kopell N, Olsen K. Neurotech for neuroscience: unifying concepts, organizing principles, and emerging tools. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11807-19 pubmed..Funding agencies, including the National Science Foundation, explore the potential of these changing frontiers of research for developing research policies and long-term planning. ..
- Collins D, Leibbrandt M. The financial impact of HIV/AIDS on poor households in South Africa. AIDS. 2007;21 Suppl 7:S75-81 pubmed..These costs pose so great a threat to households that they dominate household saving and insurance behavior. ..
- Small K, Ginsburg H, Greco M, Sarita Reyes C, Kupchik G, Blei F. More than skin deep: a case of congenital lamellar ichthyosis, lymphatic malformation, and other abnormalities. Lymphat Res Biol. 2008;6:39-44 pubmed publisher..We review the disorders, examine their genetic causes, and explore the genetic connection among them. ..
- Greenstein V, Santos R, Tsang S, Smith R, Barile G, Seiple W. Preferred retinal locus in macular disease: characteristics and clinical implications. Retina. 2008;28:1234-40 pubmed publisher..To investigate the location and fixation stability of preferred retinal locations (PRLs) in patients with macular disease, and the relationship among areas of abnormal fundus autofluorescence, the PRL and visual sensitivity...
- Frost J. Trends in US women's use of sexual and reproductive health care services, 1995-2002. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:1814-7 pubmed publisher..Women visiting publicly funded providers received a broader mix of services than did clients of private providers. ..
- Vanni H, Kazeros A, Wang R, Harvey B, Ferris B, De B, et al. Cigarette smoking induces overexpression of a fat-depleting gene AZGP1 in the human. Chest. 2009;135:1197-1208 pubmed publisher..In the context that AZGP1 is involved in lipolysis and fat loss, its overexpression in the airway epithelium of chronic smokers may represent one mechanism for the weight difference in smokers vs nonsmokers. ..
- Albert P, Proal A, Marshall T. Vitamin D: the alternative hypothesis. Autoimmun Rev. 2009;8:639-44 pubmed publisher..While this results in short-term palliation, persistent pathogens that may influence disease progression, proliferate over the long-term. ..
- Hooper A, Shmelkov S, Gupta S, Milde T, Bambino K, Gillen K, et al. Angiomodulin is a specific marker of vasculature and regulates vascular endothelial growth factor-A-dependent neoangiogenesis. Circ Res. 2009;105:201-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the vascular-specific marker AGM modulates vascular remodeling in part by temporizing the proangiogenic effects of VEGF-A. ..
- Hill M, Gorzalka B. The endocannabinoid system and the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2009;8:451-8 pubmed..Collectively, both clinical and preclinical data argue that cannabinoid receptor signalling may be a realistic target in the development of a novel class of agent for the pharmacotherapy of mood and anxiety disorders. ..
- Yalcin M, Bharali D, Lansing L, Dyskin E, Mousa S, Hercbergs A, et al. Tetraidothyroacetic acid (tetrac) and tetrac nanoparticles inhibit growth of human renal cell carcinoma xenografts. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:3825-31 pubmed..Overall, the findings presented here provide evidence for the anti-angiogenic, and anti-tumor actions of Tetrac and Tetrac NP and suggest their potential utility in the treatment of renal cell carcinoma. ..
- Tang G, Perng M, Wilk S, Quinlan R, Goldman J. Oligomers of mutant glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) Inhibit the proteasome system in alexander disease astrocytes, and the small heat shock protein alphaB-crystallin reverses the inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10527-37 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that oligomeric forms of GFAP are particularly effective at inhibiting proteasome activity. ..
- Sevilla D, Murty V, Sun X, Nandula S, Mansukhani M, Alobeid B, et al. Cytogenetic abnormalities in reactive lymphoid hyperplasia: byproducts of the germinal centre reaction or indicators of lymphoma?. Hematol Oncol. 2011;29:81-90 pubmed publisher..Their occurrence portends low risk for lymphomagenesis, however longer follow-up is prudent to further evaluate the natural history of such cases. ..
- Burke T, Fishman G, Zernant J, Schubert C, Tsang S, Smith R, et al. Retinal phenotypes in patients homozygous for the G1961E mutation in the ABCA4 gene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4458-67 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the pathogenicity of the G1961E mutation in the ABCA4 gene, and present the range of retinal phenotypes associated with this mutation in homozygosity in a patient cohort with ABCA4-associated phenotypes...
- Li X, Foley E, Kawashima S, Molloy K, Li Y, Chait B, et al. Examining post-translational modification-mediated protein-protein interactions using a chemical proteomics approach. Protein Sci. 2013;22:287-95 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings indicate the CLASPI approach can be broadly applied to profile protein-protein interactions mediated by PTMs. ..
- Klingensmith G, Pyle L, Nadeau K, Barbour L, Goland R, Willi S, et al. Pregnancy Outcomes in Youth With Type 2 Diabetes: The TODAY Study Experience. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:122-9 pubmed publisher..Pregnancies in youth with type 2 diabetes may be especially prone to result in congenital anomalies. Reasons for the high rate of congenital anomalies are uncertain, but may include poor metabolic control and extreme obesity. ..
- Jackson E, Bawah A, Williams J, Phillips J. Respondents' Exposure to Community-based Services and Reported Fertility-Regulation Behavior: A Decade of Data from the Navrongo Community Health and Family Planning Project. Stud Fam Plann. 2016;47:55-68 pubmed publisher..Among women who report that they are not regulating their fertility, under-reporting of contraceptive use in experimental areas is likely to play a role in explaining these findings. ..
- Yang H, Zhang Y, Wang Z, Xue S, Li S, Zhou X, et al. Increased Chondrocyte Apoptosis in Kashin-Beck Disease and Rats Induced by T-2 Toxin and Selenium Deficiency. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:351-362 pubmed publisher..T-2 toxin under a selenium-deficient nutritional status induces chondrocyte death, which emphasizes the role of chondrocyte apoptosis in cartilage damage and progression of KBD. ..
- Ohkuma Y, Sumimoto H, Horikoshi M, Roeder R. Factors involved in specific transcription by mammalian RNA polymerase II: purification and characterization of general transcription factor TFIIE. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:9163-7 pubmed..Functional studies with the purified TFIIE demonstrated that it is a general initiation factor, required for all of the genes tested, but it failed to show any DNA-dependent ATPase activity. ..
- Huang L, Voyiaziakis E, Chen H, Rubin E, Gordon J. A novel functional role for apolipoprotein B in male infertility in heterozygous apolipoprotein B knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:10903-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that this genetic locus may have an important impact on male fertility and identify a previously unrecognized function for apo B. ..
- Friedman J, Halaas J. Leptin and the regulation of body weight in mammals. Nature. 1998;395:763-70 pubmed..Leptin also signals nutritional status to several other physiological systems and modulates their function. Here we review the role of leptin in the control of body weight and its relevance to the pathogenesis of obesity. ..
- Shibli M, Connery C, Shapiro J. Intralobar and extralobar bronchopulmonary sequestration complicated by Nocardia asteroides infection. South Med J. 2003;96:78-80 pubmed..Infection, mainly bacterial, is a major complication of sequestration. We report the case of a young man in whom a sequestration with both intralobar and extralobar components was complicated by Nocardia asteroides infection. ..
- Li F, Calingasan N, Yu F, Mauck W, Toidze M, Almeida C, et al. Increased plaque burden in brains of APP mutant MnSOD heterozygous knockout mice. J Neurochem. 2004;89:1308-12 pubmed..These results indicate that oxidative stress can promote the pathogenesis of AD and further support the feasibility of antioxidant approaches for AD therapy. ..
- Bordalo Rodrigues M, Rosenberg Z. MR imaging of entrapment neuropathies at the elbow. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2004;12:247-63, vi pubmed..Specific MR signs in association with clinical findings can supply an accurate diagnosis. A review of normal anatomy, clinical features, and MR assessment of nerve entrapment syndromes at the elbow is presented...
- Carroll S, Solowiejczyk D, Gersony W. Preoperative diagnosis of co-existing divided left atrium and tetralogy of Fallot. Cardiol Young. 2004;14:456-9 pubmed..We draw attention to the need for careful echocardiography in patients where an obstruction to pulmonary venous drainage would dramatically affect the outcome subsequent to surgical correction. ..
- Zohn I, Anderson K, Niswander L. Using genomewide mutagenesis screens to identify the genes required for neural tube closure in the mouse. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2005;73:583-90 pubmed
- Yang T, Fu M, Pestell R, Sauve A. SIRT1 and endocrine signaling. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2006;17:186-91 pubmed
- Lee Wong M, McClelland S, Chong K, Fernandez Perez E, Fernandez E. A case of hydrocortisone desensitization in a patient with radiocontrast-induced anaphylactoid reaction and corticosteroid allergy. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2006;27:265-8 pubmed..The patient was desensitized to hydrocortisone and premedicated with hydrocortisone and diphenhydramine and subsequently underwent cardiac catheterization with radiocontrast without adverse reaction. ..
- Ainavarapu S, Brujic J, Huang H, Wiita A, Lu H, Li L, et al. Contour length and refolding rate of a small protein controlled by engineered disulfide bonds. Biophys J. 2007;92:225-33 pubmed..We find that both a power law scaling tau(F) lambda n(lambda) with lambda = 4.4, and an exponential scaling with n(0.6) fit the data range, in support of different protein-folding scenarios. ..
- Pulte D, Olson K, Broekman M, Islam N, Ballard H, Furman R, et al. CD39 activity correlates with stage and inhibits platelet reactivity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Transl Med. 2007;5:23 pubmed..These results suggest that CD39 may play a role in the pathogenesis of malignancy and protect CLL patients from thrombotic events. ..
- Asahina K, Benton R. Smell and taste on a high: symposium on chemical senses: from genes to perception. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:634-8 pubmed
- Evans M, Van Decruyes H, Nicolaides K. Nuchal translucency measurements for first-trimester screening: the 'price' of inaccuracy. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2007;22:401-4 pubmed..That way the published data from centers that have developed such screening can be applied by other operators at other sites when counseling their patients. ..
- Toyohara J, Ward K, Rabinowitz A, Thomashow B, Grossman M. Necrotizing sarcoid granulomatosis with skin and pulmonary involvement. Cutis. 2007;80:313-6 pubmed..We present a rare case of necrotizing sarcoid granulomatosis (NSG) with skin and pulmonary involvement. NSG with extrapulmonary involvement occurs infrequently, and reports involving skin manifestations in NSG are even more rare. ..
- Freeman K, Tan H, Prusa A, Petersen E, Buffolano W, Malm G, et al. Predictors of retinochoroiditis in children with congenital toxoplasmosis: European, prospective cohort study. Pediatrics. 2008;121:e1215-22 pubmed publisher..Controlled trials are needed to address the lack of evidence for the effectiveness of postnatal treatment. ..
- Argoff C, Albrecht P, Irving G, Rice F. Multimodal analgesia for chronic pain: rationale and future directions. Pain Med. 2009;10 Suppl 2:S53-66 pubmed publisher..This review will discuss the biochemical basis of pain, factors that govern its severity and chronicity, and foundational elements for current and emerging multimodal treatment strategies. ..
- Ji J, Park Min K, Shen Z, Fajardo R, Goldring S, McHugh K, et al. Inhibition of RANK expression and osteoclastogenesis by TLRs and IFN-gamma in human osteoclast precursors. J Immunol. 2009;183:7223-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a new mechanism of homeostatic regulation of osteoclastogenesis that targets RANK expression and limits bone resorption during infection and inflammation. ..
- Li X, Ma Y, Sun X, Humm J, Ling C, O Donoghue J. High 18F-FDG uptake in microscopic peritoneal tumors requires physiologic hypoxia. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:632-8 pubmed publisher..This enhanced uptake was abrogated by carbogen breathing, indicating that in the absence of physiologic hypoxia, high GLUT-1 expression, by itself, was insufficient to ensure high (18)F-FDG uptake. ..
- Chandarlapaty S, Sawai A, Scaltriti M, Rodrik Outmezguine V, Grbovic Huezo O, Serra V, et al. AKT inhibition relieves feedback suppression of receptor tyrosine kinase expression and activity. Cancer Cell. 2011;19:58-71 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this model, we find that, in tumors in which AKT suppresses HER3 expression, combined inhibition of AKT and HER kinase activity is more effective than either alone. ..
- Knauf J, Sartor M, Medvedovic M, Lundsmith E, Ryder M, Salzano M, et al. Progression of BRAF-induced thyroid cancer is associated with epithelial-mesenchymal transition requiring concomitant MAP kinase and TGFβ signaling. Oncogene. 2011;30:3153-62 pubmed publisher..Hence, tumor initiation by oncogenic BRAF renders thyroid cells susceptible to TGFβ-induced EMT, through a MAPK-dependent process. ..
- Genzen J, Tormey C. Pathology consultation on reporting of critical values. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011;135:505-13 pubmed publisher..This article presents a hypothetical (yet fairly common) clinical case scenario regarding critical values and then provides an up-to-date discussion and review of the literature on the reporting of critical results. ..
- Golub S, Starks T, Payton G, Parsons J. The critical role of intimacy in the sexual risk behaviors of gay and bisexual men. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:626-32 pubmed publisher..HIV prevention interventions should consider incorporating intimacy as a motivating factor for sexual behavior and a potential barrier to condom use. ..
- Widen E, Whyatt R, Hoepner L, Ramirez Carvey J, Oberfield S, Hassoun A, et al. Excessive gestational weight gain is associated with long-term body fat and weight retention at 7 y postpartum in African American and Dominican mothers with underweight, normal, and overweight prepregnancy BMI. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;102:1460-7 pubmed publisher..This study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00043498. ..
- Zeitler E, Al Khatib S, Drozda J, Kessler L, Kirtane A, Kong D, et al. Predictable and SuStainable Implementation of National Cardiovascular Registries (PASSION) infrastructure: A think tank report from Medical Device Epidemiological Network Initiative (MDEpiNet). Am Heart J. 2016;171:64-72.e1-2 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes the discussions at the meeting and the future directions of the PASSION program. ..
- Rafii S, Carmeliet P. VEGF-B Improves Metabolic Health through Vascular Pruning of Fat. Cell Metab. 2016;23:571-3 pubmed publisher..2016) demonstrate that VEGF-B, by displacing VEGF-A from VEGFR1 and activating VEGFR2, increases adipose tissue vascularity, improves insulin sensitivity, diminishes obesity, and alleviates metabolic syndrome. ..
- Lin R. Chronic diffuse dermatitis and hyper-IgE in HIV infection. Acta Derm Venereol. 1988;68:486-91 pubmed..These observations suggest that certain patients with HIV infection can manifest a unique hyper-IgE syndrome associated with diffuse cutaneous disease. ..
- Sant Angelo D, Robinson E, Janeway C, Denzin L. Recognition of core and flanking amino acids of MHC class II-bound peptides by the T cell receptor. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:2510-20 pubmed..However, using an HLA-DM-mediated technique to measure peptide binding to MHC class II molecules, we found that the peptide flanking residues contribute substantially to MHC binding. ..
- Mecaskey J, Ngirwamungu E, Kilima P. Integration of trachoma control into primary health care: the Tanzanian experience. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;69:29-32 pubmed..This is expected to expand in 2004 and 2005. This work is presented as a model for the support and integration of disease-specific control efforts into the primary health care system. ..
- Salehi M, Houlden H, Sheikh A, Poretsky L. The diagnosis of adrenal insufficiency in a patient with Allgrove syndrome and a novel mutation in the ALADIN gene. Metabolism. 2005;54:200-5 pubmed
- Ruan J, Hyjek E, Kermani P, Christos P, Hooper A, Coleman M, et al. Magnitude of stromal hemangiogenesis correlates with histologic subtype of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5622-31 pubmed
- Yano S, Banno T, Walsh R, Blumenberg M. Transcriptional responses of human epidermal keratinocytes to cytokine interleukin-1. J Cell Physiol. 2008;214:1-13 pubmed..In summary, IL-1 regulates a characteristic set of genes that define its specific contribution to inflammation and aberrant differentiation in skin diseases. ..
- Agalliu I, Gern R, Leanza S, Burk R. Associations of high-grade prostate cancer with BRCA1 and BRCA2 founder mutations. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:1112-20 pubmed publisher..These findings should be carefully considered in genetic counseling and/or evaluating therapeutic options. ..
- Vahdat L, Pruitt B, Fabian C, Rivera R, Smith D, Tan Chiu E, et al. Phase II study of eribulin mesylate, a halichondrin B analog, in patients with metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline and a taxane. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:2954-61 pubmed publisher..Eribulin demonstrated activity with manageable tolerability (including infrequent grade 3 and no grade 4 neuropathy) in heavily pretreated patients with MBC when dosed as a short IV infusion on days 1 and 8 of a 21-day cycle. ..
- Masilamani M, Peruzzi G, Borrego F, Coligan J. Endocytosis and intracellular trafficking of human natural killer cell receptors. Traffic. 2009;10:1735-44 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the current knowledge of receptor endocytosis and trafficking, and integrate this with our current understanding of NK cell receptor trafficking. ..
- Justman J, Koblavi Deme S, Tanuri A, Goldberg A, Gonzalez L, Gwynn C. Developing laboratory systems and infrastructure for HIV scale-up: A tool for health systems strengthening in resource-limited settings. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;52 Suppl 1:S30-3 pubmed publisher..We briefly describe ongoing efforts to integrate HIV laboratory support into HIV care and treatment systems, thereby strengthening laboratory systems in support of both HIV scale-up and overall health systems strengthening. ..
- Stratigopoulos G, Lanzano P, Deng L, Guo J, Kaufmann P, Darras B, et al. Association of plastin 3 expression with disease severity in spinal muscular atrophy only in postpubertal females. Arch Neurol. 2010;67:1252-6 pubmed publisher..Expression of PLS3 correlated with SMA type, SMN2 copy number, and the gross motor function measure only in postpubertal female patients. The PLS3 gene may be an age- and/or puberty-specific and sex-specific modifier of SMA. ..