Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications2904 found, 100 shown here
- Kaneko S, Chu C, Shatkin A, Manley J. Human capping enzyme promotes formation of transcriptional R loops in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17620-5 pubmed..Our findings suggest that CE can play a direct role in transcription by modulating displacement of nascent RNA during transcription. ..
- Mizuta K, Osawa Y, Mizuta F, Xu D, Emala C. Functional expression of GABAB receptors in airway epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2008;39:296-304 pubmed publisher..GABA may modulate an uncharacterized signaling cascade via GABA(B) receptors coupled to G(i) protein in airway epithelium. ..
- Anderson J, Suero E, O Loughlin P, Kennedy J. Surgery for retrocalcaneal bursitis: a tendon-splitting versus a lateral approach. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1678-82 pubmed publisher..Both approaches to calcaneal ostectomy provided symptomatic pain relief. However, patients in the tendon-splitting group returned to normal function quicker than patients in the lateral group...
- Kolupaeva V, Laplantine E, Basilico C. PP2A-mediated dephosphorylation of p107 plays a critical role in chondrocyte cell cycle arrest by FGF. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3447 pubmed publisher..Our data show that p107 dephosphorylation is a key event in FGF-induced cell cycle arrest and indicate that in chondrocytes FGF activates the PP2A phosphatase to promote p107 dephosphorylation. ..
- Lat A, Clock S, Wu F, Whittier S, Della Latta P, Fauntleroy K, et al. Comparison of polymyxin B, tigecycline, cefepime, and meropenem MICs for KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae by broth microdilution, Vitek 2, and Etest. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:1795-8 pubmed publisher..We suggest that laboratories consider the supplemental use of reference BMD or Etest for cefepime and meropenem for susceptibility testing of KPC-producing K. pneumoniae, as Vitek 2 did not provide reliable results. ..
- Friedman J. Leptin and the regulation of body weigh. Keio J Med. 2011;60:1-9 pubmed..Finally, this research has established that there is a powerful biological basis for obesity, a fact that is (correctly) changing public perception about the pathogenesis of this medical condition. ..
- Morshed S, Latif R, Davies T. Delineating the autoimmune mechanisms in Graves' disease. Immunol Res. 2012;54:191-203 pubmed publisher..Understanding different mechanistic in the complex system biology interplay will help to identify unique factors contributing to the AITD pathogenesis. ..
- Viola K, Jhaveri M, Soulos P, Turner R, Tolpinrud W, Doshi D, et al. Mohs micrographic surgery and surgical excision for nonmelanoma skin cancer treatment in the Medicare population. Arch Dermatol. 2012;148:473-7 pubmed publisher..Significant differences in surgical rates, depending on patient age, race, lesion location, and geographic region, of treatment were found. ..
- Taur Y, Pamer E. The intestinal microbiota and susceptibility to infection in immunocompromised patients. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013;26:332-7 pubmed publisher..This article reviews and discusses recent work providing insight into the intestinal microbiota of these at-risk immunocompromised patients...
- Shin S, Lal A, De Vries S, Suzuki J, Roy R, Hwang E, et al. Florid lobular carcinoma in situ: molecular profiling and comparison to classic lobular carcinoma in situ and pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:1998-2009 pubmed publisher..This may explain the greater frequency of concurrent invasive carcinoma in florid lobular carcinoma in situ compared with classic lobular carcinoma in situ. ..
- Ray Saha S, Huber T, Sakmar T. Antibody epitopes on g protein-coupled receptors mapped with genetically encoded photoactivatable cross-linkers. Biochemistry. 2014;53:1302-10 pubmed publisher..As a strategy for mapping mAb epitopes on GPCRs, our targeted photo-cross-linking method is complementary to loss-of-function mutagenesis results and should be especially useful for studying mAbs with discontinuous epitopes. ..
- Nelson J, Hanson L, Keller K, Carson S, Cox C, Tulsky J, et al. The Voice of Surrogate Decision-Makers. Family Responses to Prognostic Information in Chronic Critical Illness. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:864-872 pubmed publisher..Information from clinicians about the expected course of the patient's illness is relevant and important for decision-making by surrogates for chronically critically ill patients on mechanical ventilation...
- Midttun Ø, Theofylaktopoulou D, McCann A, Fanidi A, Muller D, Meyer K, et al. Circulating concentrations of biomarkers and metabolites related to vitamin status, one-carbon and the kynurenine pathways in US, Nordic, Asian, and Australian populations. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1314-1326 pubmed publisher..The results provide valuable information about the differences in biomarker concentrations in populations across continents. ..
- Drakos M, Gott M, Karnovsky S, Murphy C, Desandis B, Chinitz N, et al. Biomechanical Analysis of Suture Anchor vs Tenodesis Screw for FHL Transfer. Foot Ankle Int. 2017;38:797-801 pubmed publisher..Adequate harvest length for FHL transfer could be achieved with a single posterior incision. There was no difference in strength of fixation between suture anchor and biotenodesis screw. ..
- Jeon G, Park S, Bernstein K. Socio-demographic and Psychological Correlates of Posttraumatic Growth among Korean Americans with a History of Traumatic Life Experiences. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2017;31:256-262 pubmed publisher..Higher resilience scores increased PTG, while depressive symptoms decreased it. We suggest reinforcing help seeking behaviors and accessibility to care facilities, and gender specific strengthening programs for enhancing PTG among KAs. ..
- de Rie D, Abugessaisa I, Alam T, Arner E, Arner P, Ashoor H, et al. An integrated expression atlas of miRNAs and their promoters in human and mouse. Nat Biotechnol. 2017;35:872-878 pubmed publisher..We thus provide a broad atlas of miRNA expression and promoters in primary mammalian cells, establishing a foundation for detailed analysis of miRNA expression patterns and transcriptional control regions. ..
- Wahlestedt C, Regunathan S, Reis D. Identification of cultured cells selectively expressing Y1-, Y2-, or Y3-type receptors for neuropeptide Y/peptide YY. Life Sci. 1992;50:PL7-12 pubmed..A common dual coupling mechanism of NPY/PYY receptors, i.e. to reduction of cAMP and to Ca2+ elevation, is therefore suggested to exist, although both phenomena could not be demonstrated in every cell type. ..
- Schwartz M, Rossoff L. Tracheobronchomegaly. Chest. 1994;106:1589-90 pubmed..We report two cases of tracheobronchomegaly with differing presentations. The radiologic, fiberoptic bronchoscopic, and clinical findings as well as management of this rare condition are reviewed. ..
- Howard L, Nelson K, Maciewicz R, Blobel C. Interaction of the metalloprotease disintegrins MDC9 and MDC15 with two SH3 domain-containing proteins, endophilin I and SH3PX1. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:31693-9 pubmed
- Porton B, Kao H, Greengard P. Cloning of cDNAs encoding human synapsins IIa and IIb. DNA Seq. 1999;10:49-54 pubmed..Human synapsins IIa and IIb conform to the previously described domain model of the synapsins, and the most conserved protein domains are A, C, and E. ..
- Min J, Yang H, Ivan M, Gertler F, Kaelin W, Pavletich N. Structure of an HIF-1alpha -pVHL complex: hydroxyproline recognition in signaling. Science. 2002;296:1886-9 pubmed..Although the beta sheet-like interactions contribute to the stability of the complex, the hydroxyproline contacts are central to the strict specificity characteristic of signaling. ..
- McCrossan Z, Lewis A, Panaghie G, Jordan P, Christini D, Lerner D, et al. MinK-related peptide 2 modulates Kv2.1 and Kv3.1 potassium channels in mammalian brain. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8077-91 pubmed
- Li L, Chen Q, Sullivan J, Breuer F. Signet-ring cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2004;34:471-5 pubmed
- Davidson T, Chen H, Garrick M, D Angelo G, Costa M. Soluble nickel interferes with cellular iron homeostasis. Mol Cell Biochem. 2005;279:157-62 pubmed..In addition, understanding the mechanisms by which nickel activates the HIF-1alpha pathway may lead to new molecular targets in fighting cancer. ..
- Abu Rustum N, Sonoda Y, Black D, Levine D, Chi D, Barakat R. Fertility-sparing radical abdominal trachelectomy for cervical carcinoma: technique and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;103:807-13 pubmed..The procedure expands the inclusion criteria of radical vaginal trachelectomy to patients with distorted cervicovaginal anatomy in which the vaginal approach may not be feasible. ..
- Guillem J, Wood W, Moley J, Berchuck A, Karlan B, Mutch D, et al. ASCO/SSO review of current role of risk-reducing surgery in common hereditary cancer syndromes. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:1296-321 pubmed
- Shintre M, Gaonkar T, Modak S. Evaluation of an alcohol-based surgical hand disinfectant containing a synergistic combination of farnesol and benzethonium chloride for immediate and persistent activity against resident hand flora of volunteers and with a novel in vitro pig skin mo. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007;28:191-7 pubmed
- Peelle M, Rawlins B, Frelinghuysen P. A novel source of cancellous autograft for ACDF surgery: the manubrium. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2007;20:36-41 pubmed..This new technique to obtain cancellous graft from the manubrium combines the advantages of autologous bone without the morbidity of iliac crest harvest...
- Vlahov D, Freudenberg N, Proietti F, Ompad D, Quinn A, Nandi V, et al. Urban as a determinant of health. J Urban Health. 2007;84:i16-26 pubmed..Ameliorating the immediate living conditions in the cities in which people live offers the greatest promise for reducing morbidity, mortality, and disparities in health and for improving quality of life and well being. ..
- Koyama Nasu R, David G, Tanese N. The F-box protein Fbl10 is a novel transcriptional repressor of c-Jun. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1074-80 pubmed..Furthermore, Fbl10 protein and messenger RNA are downregulated in response to UV in an inverse correlation with c-Jun. Taken together, our results demonstrate that Fbl10 is a key regulator of c-Jun function. ..
- Paran T, Corbally M, Gross Rom E, Rutigliano D, Kayton M, La Quaglia M. Experience with aortic grafting during excision of large abdominal neuroblastomas in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:335-40 pubmed publisher..The neuroblastoma surgeon should be prepared to perform aortic and vascular reconstruction. Aortic encasement, preoperative radiation therapy, and reoperative surgery were observed in these patients and may be risk factors. ..
- Furie R, Stohl W, Ginzler E, Becker M, Mishra N, Chatham W, et al. Biologic activity and safety of belimumab, a neutralizing anti-B-lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) monoclonal antibody: a phase I trial in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10:R109 pubmed publisher..0305). SLE disease activity did not change after one or two doses of belimumab. Belimumab was well tolerated and reduced peripheral B-cell levels in SLE patients. These data support further studies of belimumab in autoimmune disorders. ..
- Carter T, Flik K, Boland P, Kennedy J. Iliac hematoma mimicking neoplasm in adolescent athletes. Orthopedics. 2008;31:1144 pubmed..Careful observation in combination with radiographic findings can yield a successful diagnosis, but the orthopedic surgeon must carefully weigh the increased risk of tumor growth against the need for biopsy. ..
- Buonomo S, Wu Y, Ferguson D, de Lange T. Mammalian Rif1 contributes to replication stress survival and homology-directed repair. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:385-98 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings reveal a function for Rif1 in the repair of stalled forks by facilitating HDR. ..
- Metcalfe J, Jacobs W. People's study time allocation and its relation to animal foraging. Behav Processes. 2010;83:213-21 pubmed publisher..Finally, study time allocation strategies can differ in their effectiveness depending upon the expertise of the student just as some species forage close to optimally while others do not. ..
- Naymagon S, Warner R, Patel K, Harpaz N, Machac J, Weintraub J, et al. Gastroduodenal ulceration associated with radioembolization for the treatment of hepatic tumors: an institutional experience and review of the literature. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:2450-8 pubmed publisher..This entity must be considered in any patient treated with radioactive microspheres presenting with symptoms of dyspepsia. Accurate diagnosis and aggressive treatment are necessary to improve patient outcomes. ..
- Davoli T, Denchi E, de Lange T. Persistent telomere damage induces bypass of mitosis and tetraploidy. Cell. 2010;141:81-93 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a general mechanism for the induction of tetraploidization in the early stages of tumorigenesis when telomere dysfunction can result from excessive telomere shortening. ..
- Gao Z, Perez Perez G, Chen Y, Blaser M. Quantitation of major human cutaneous bacterial and fungal populations. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:3575-81 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first quantitation of the site and host specificities of major bacterial and fungal populations in human skin and present simple methods for their assessment in studies of disease. ..
- DiBonaventura M, Gabriel S, Dupclay L, Gupta S, Kim E. A patient perspective of the impact of medication side effects on adherence: results of a cross-sectional nationwide survey of patients with schizophrenia. BMC Psychiatry. 2012;12:20 pubmed publisher..Prevention, identification, and effective management of medication-induced side effects are important to maximize adherence and reduce health resource use in schizophrenia. ..
- McGuire K, Payne S, Palmer M, Gillikin C, Keefe D, Kim S, et al. Digging the New York City Skyline: soil fungal communities in green roofs and city parks. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58020 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that fungi living in the growing medium of green roofs may be an underestimated component of these biotic systems functioning to support some of the valued ecological services of green roofs. ..
- Sawai C, Sisirak V, Ghosh H, Hou E, Ceribelli M, Staudt L, et al. Transcription factor Runx2 controls the development and migration of plasmacytoid dendritic cells. J Exp Med. 2013;210:2151-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Runx2 is required for the emergence of mature BM pDCs into the periphery, in a process that is partially dependent on Ccr5. These results establish Runx2 as a lineage-specific regulator of immune system development. ..
- Reyes Robles T, Alonzo F, Kozhaya L, Lacy D, Unutmaz D, Torres V. Staphylococcus aureus leukotoxin ED targets the chemokine receptors CXCR1 and CXCR2 to kill leukocytes and promote infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2013;14:453-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, LukED is a versatile toxin that endows S. aureus with the ability to simultaneously disarm both innate and adaptive compartments of the host immune response. ..
- Vo M, Karmpaliotis D, Brilakis E. "Move the cap" technique for ambiguous or impenetrable proximal cap of coronary total occlusion. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;87:742-8 pubmed publisher..The "move the cap" technique can facilitate crossing of CTOs with ambiguous or impenetrable cap, while minimizing the risk of perforation. This technique is also useful for treating balloon uncrossable lesions. ..
- Kim H, Williamson J, Lin H. Power and sample size calculations for interval-censored survival analysis. Stat Med. 2016;35:1390-400 pubmed publisher..The proposed method can be easily extended to more complex study designs and a variety of survival and censoring distributions. ..
- Aimola I, Inuwa H, Nok A, Mamman A, Bieker J. Cis-vaccenic acid induces differentiation and up-regulates gamma globin synthesis in K562, JK1 and transgenic mice erythroid progenitor stem cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;776:9-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide important clues for further evaluations of CVA as a potential fetal hemoglobin therapeutic inducer. ..
- Savage J, Sicherer S, Wood R. The Natural History of Food Allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016;4:196-203; quiz 204 pubmed publisher..Although more work needs to be done to identify reliable predictive markers and validate them, there is already much known about the natural course of food allergies that can be applied by the clinician to improve patient care. ..
- Hanish J, Yanowitz J, de Lange T. Stringent sequence requirements for the formation of human telomeres. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:8861-5 pubmed..The results suggest that telomere seeds interact with TRF and predict that mammalian artificial chromosomes will require wild-type telomeric repeats at, or near, their termini. ..
- Zhou X, Richon V, Ngo L, Rifkind R, Marks P. Cloning of the cDNA encoding phenylalanyl tRNA synthetase regulatory alpha-subunit-like protein whose expression is down-regulated during differentiation. Gene. 1999;233:13-9 pubmed..The level of PheRS alpha-subunit-like mRNA is regulated during differentiation but not during cell cycle progression. ..
- Tinkelenberg A, Liu Y, Alcantara F, Khan S, Guo Z, Bard M, et al. Mutations in yeast ARV1 alter intracellular sterol distribution and are complemented by human ARV1. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:40667-70 pubmed..The genes are predicted to encode transmembrane proteins with potential zinc-binding motifs. We propose that ARV1 is a novel mediator of eukaryotic sterol homeostasis. ..
- Silverman R, Lizzi F, Ursea B, Cozzarelli L, Ketterling J, Deng C, et al. Safety levels for exposure of cornea and lens to very high-frequency ultrasound. J Ultrasound Med. 2001;20:979-86 pubmed..Our aim was to determine whether exposures to ultrasound at and above those used in diagnostic imaging systems might cause bioeffects in ocular tissues...
- Laochumroonvorapong P, Kokta V, Quan M. Trichilemmal carcinoma in an African American. Dermatol Surg. 2002;28:284-6 pubmed..Trichilemmal carcinoma is an uncommon cutaneous neoplasm found primarily on the sun-exposed skin of the elderly...
- Abbas T, Olivier M, Lopez J, Houser S, Xiao G, Kumar G, et al. Differential activation of p53 by the various adducts of mitomycin C. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:40513-9 pubmed..This is the first finding that adducts of a multiadduct type DNA-damaging agent are differentially recognized by DNA damage sensor pathways. ..
- Hilz M, Platsch G, Druschky K, Pauli E, Kuwert T, Stefan H, et al. Outcome of epilepsy surgery correlates with sympathetic modulation and neuroimaging of the heart. J Neurol Sci. 2003;216:153-62 pubmed..Both findings are possible risk factors for sudden unexplained death and might be relevant for risk stratification in epilepsy patients. ..
- Rudnick J, Stern M. Symptomatic thoracic vertebral hemangioma: a case report and literature review. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85:1544-7 pubmed..Proper diagnosis and treatment may prevent the development of neurologic symptoms. ..
- Sauer M. Gender selection: pressure from patients and industry should not alter our adherence to ethical guidelines. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:1543-5 pubmed..More studies are needed with respect to the impact of gender selection on families before this method is introduced into routine practice. ..
- Faibish D, Gomes A, Boivin G, Binderman I, Boskey A. Infrared imaging of calcified tissue in bone biopsies from adults with osteomalacia. Bone. 2005;36:6-12 pubmed
- Muse E, Lam T, Scherer P, Rossetti L. Hypothalamic resistin induces hepatic insulin resistance. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1670-8 pubmed..These results unveil what we believe to be a novel site of action of resistin on GP and inflammation and suggest that hypothalamic resistin action can contribute to hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Ge Y, Zohrabian V, Grossman R. Seven-Tesla magnetic resonance imaging: new vision of microvascular abnormalities in multiple sclerosis. Arch Neurol. 2008;65:812-6 pubmed publisher..Ultrahigh-field (eg, 7-T) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has become a tool for assessing vascular involvement in MS lesions owing to markedly increased image resolution and susceptibility contrast of venous blood...
- Guo W, Urizar E, Kralikova M, Mobarec J, Shi L, Filizola M, et al. Dopamine D2 receptors form higher order oligomers at physiological expression levels. EMBO J. 2008;27:2293-304 pubmed publisher..Thus, at physiological levels of expression, the receptor is organized in the plasma membrane into a higher order oligomeric structure. ..
- Lopes E, Valls E, Figueroa M, Mazur A, Meng F, Chiosis G, et al. Kaiso contributes to DNA methylation-dependent silencing of tumor suppressor genes in colon cancer cell lines. Cancer Res. 2008;68:7258-63 pubmed publisher..Because Kaiso inactivation sensitized colon cancer cell lines to chemotherapy, it is possible that therapeutic targeting of Kaiso could improve the efficacy of current treatment regimens. ..
- Morris P, McArthur H, Hudis C. Therapeutic options for metastatic breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009;10:967-81 pubmed..We hope that further progress elucidating the pathophysiology and biology of MBC will continue to lead to corresponding advances in treatment. ..
- Nardin E. The past decade in malaria synthetic peptide vaccine clinical trials. Hum Vaccin. 2010;6:27-38 pubmed..Additional challenges include the need for potent adjuvants for the development of synthetic peptide vaccines that can effectively target multiple stages of the Plasmodium parasite. ..
- Huitzil Melendez F, Capanu M, O Reilly E, Duffy A, Gansukh B, Saltz L, et al. Advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: which staging systems best predict prognosis?. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2889-95 pubmed publisher..BCLC and TNM sixth edition were not helpful in predicting survival outcome, and their use is not supported by our data. ..
- Wong J, Kelly K, Mittra A, Gonzalez S, Song K, Simpson G, et al. A third-generation herpesvirus is effective against gastroesophageal cancer. J Surg Res. 2010;163:214-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that this third-generation oncolytic herpesvirus can effectively infect and lyse gastroesophageal cancer cells and may provide a novel therapy against gastroesophageal cancer. ..
- Abbott L, Luke N. Local hierarchies and distributor (non) compliance: a case study of community-based distribution in rural north India. Health Care Women Int. 2011;32:225-42 pubmed publisher..Our CBD responded to these dual pressures with varying strategies, often perpetuating social distance and restricting information and services for men, adolescents, and other marginalized populations. ..
- Chang J, Tong L. Mitochondrial poly(A) polymerase and polyadenylation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1819:992-7 pubmed publisher..The crystal structure of human PAPD1 was reported recently, offering molecular insights into its catalysis. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Mitochondrial Gene Expression. ..
- Steinberg S. Cardiac actions of protein kinase C isoforms. Physiology (Bethesda). 2012;27:130-9 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on newer concepts regarding PKC isoform-specific activation mechanisms and actions that have implications for the development of PKC-targeted therapeutics. ..
- Ford L, Bloom K, Nowak Wegrzyn A, Shreffler W, Masilamani M, Sampson H. Basophil reactivity, wheal size, and immunoglobulin levels distinguish degrees of cow's milk tolerance. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;131:180-6.e1-3 pubmed publisher..Spontaneous basophil activation is greater among patients with more severe clinical milk reactivity. ..
- Butler J, Rafii S. Generation of a vascular niche for studying stem cell homeostasis. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;904:221-33 pubmed publisher..This unbiased system described here can serve as a platform to identify EC-derived growth and to model treatment of a wide variety of hematological and malignant conditions. ..
- Ooms M, Letko M, Binka M, Simon V. The resistance of human APOBEC3H to HIV-1 NL4-3 molecular clone is determined by a single amino acid in Vif. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57744 pubmed publisher..These studies provide an explanation for the conflicting reports regarding A3H resistance to Vif mediated degradation. ..
- Gotham K, Brunwasser S, Lord C. Depressive and anxiety symptom trajectories from school age through young adulthood in samples with autism spectrum disorder and developmental delay. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015;54:369-76.e3 pubmed publisher..Although symptom levels in females increase at a faster rate throughout adolescence, males with ASD appear to have elevated levels of depressive symptoms in school age that are maintained into young adulthood. ..
- Ripley R, Sarkaria I, Grosser R, Sima C, Bains M, Jones D, et al. Pretreatment Dysphagia in Esophageal Cancer Patients May Eliminate the Need for Staging by Endoscopic Ultrasonography. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016;101:226-230 pubmed publisher..On the basis of this finding, approximately 50% of patients currently undergoing staging EUS at our institution could potentially forgo EUS before neoadjuvant therapy. Patients without dysphagia, however, should still undergo EUS. ..
- Parada H, Wolff M, Engel L, Eng S, Khankari N, Neugut A, et al. Polychlorinated biphenyls and their association with survival following breast cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2016;56:21-30 pubmed publisher..43-0.92, respectively). In this first US study of PCBs and breast cancer survival, PCBs were associated with mortality in biologically plausible directions. The investigation of other, structurally similar, chemicals may be warranted. ..
- Carter S, Cohen E. Development of Herpes Simplex Virus Infectious Epithelial Keratitis During Oral Acyclovir Therapy and Response to Topical Antivirals. Cornea. 2016;35:692-5 pubmed publisher..Topical antiviral therapy appeared to enable resolution of HSV epithelial keratitis that arose during oral acyclovir treatment. ..
- Mardy A, Siddiq Z, Ananth C, Wright J, Dʼalton M, Friedman A. Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis During Antepartum Admissions and Postpartum Readmissions. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:270-278 pubmed publisher..The heterogeneity of clinical approaches to venous thromboembolism prophylaxis for these patient populations may represent an opportunity to perform outcomes research to further clarify best practices. ..
- Bardales R, Al Katib A, Carrato A, Koziner B. Detection of intracytoplasmic immunoglobulin by flow cytometry in B-cell malignancies. J Histochem Cytochem. 1989;37:83-9 pubmed
- Zou X, Calame K. Signaling pathways activated by oncogenic forms of Abl tyrosine kinase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18141-4 pubmed
- Goldstone S, Winkler B, Ufford L, Alt E, Palefsky J. High prevalence of anal squamous intraepithelial lesions and squamous-cell carcinoma in men who have sex with men as seen in a surgical practice. Dis Colon Rectum. 2001;44:690-8 pubmed..Treatment of external lesions alone could miss high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions or anal squamous-cell cancer. ..
- Rivella S, May C, Chadburn A, Riviere I, Sadelain M. A novel murine model of Cooley anemia and its rescue by lentiviral-mediated human beta-globin gene transfer. Blood. 2003;101:2932-9 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate the remarkable efficacy of lentivirus-mediated globin gene transfer in treating a fulminant blood disorder and strongly support the efficacy of gene therapy in the severe hemoglobinopathies. ..
- Schofield C, Jenkins A, Harrison N. A highly conserved aspartic acid residue in the signature disulfide loop of the alpha 1 subunit is a determinant of gating in the glycine receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34079-83 pubmed..This finding adds to an emerging body of evidence supporting the involvement of the Cys loop in the gating mechanism of the LGICs. ..
- Perry H, Doshi Carnevale S, Donnenfeld E, Kornstein H. Topical cyclosporine A 0.5% as a possible new treatment for superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis. Ophthalmology. 2003;110:1578-81 pubmed..It may also be used as a maintenance drug to prevent recurrence. Further study may delineate the specific role and treatment parameters for the use of topical cyclosporine A 0.5% in the treatment of SLK. ..
- Bernardi R, Pandolfi P. Role of PML and the PML-nuclear body in the control of programmed cell death. Oncogene. 2003;22:9048-57 pubmed..Here, we will discuss the molecular mechanisms by which PML regulates these processes and the implication of these findings for cancer pathogenesis and therapy. ..
- Tay S, Sacconi S, Akman H, Morales J, Morales A, De Vivo D, et al. Unusual clinical presentations in four cases of Leigh disease, cytochrome C oxidase deficiency, and SURF1 gene mutations. J Child Neurol. 2005;20:670-4 pubmed..Likewise, mitochondrial proliferation in muscle (with ragged red fibers) is most unusual in Leigh disease but might be part of an emerging phenotype...
- Fisch G. Cognitive-behavioral profiles of females with the fragile X mutation. Am J Med Genet A. 2006;140:673-7 pubmed..Although we found the expected differences in composite IQ scores and adaptive behavior composite scores (DQ) between FM and PM females, we found no significant differences between verbal and quantitative reasoning in either group. ..
- Yang C, Jo S, Csernus B, Hyjek E, Liu Y, Chadburn A, et al. Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma contributes to the survival of T lymphoma cells by affecting cellular metabolism. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:722-32 pubmed..These findings highlight the need for further investigation into the role of PPARgamma in cancer before widespread use of its agonists as anticancer therapeutics. ..