Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on golgi apparatus in California, United States
Locale: California, United States
Topic: golgi apparatus
- Pfeffer S. Unsolved mysteries in membrane traffic. Annu Rev Biochem. 2007;76:629-45 pubmed..But much remains to be learned. This review highlights underlying themes in membrane traffic to help us refocus and solve many remaining and newly emerging issues that are fundamental to mammalian cell biology and human physiology. ..
- Rowe T, Aridor M, McCaffery J, Plutner H, Nuoffer C, Balch W. COPII vesicles derived from mammalian endoplasmic reticulum microsomes recruit COPI. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:895-911 pubmed..These results suggest that coat exchange is an early event preceding the targeting of ER-derived vesicles to pre-Golgi intermediates. ..
- Martin L, Marth J, Varki A, Varki N. Genetically altered mice with different sialyltransferase deficiencies show tissue-specific alterations in sialylation and sialic acid 9-O-acetylation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32930-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate selective regulation of sialylation and 9-O-acetylation, point to cell types with potential physiological defects in null animals, and show in vivo evidence for competition between Golgi enzymes. ..
- Matsumoto Taniura N, Pirollet F, Monroe R, Gerace L, Westendorf J. Identification of novel M phase phosphoproteins by expression cloning. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1455-69 pubmed..In mitosis, most of the MPPs were distributed throughout the cells. Further studies of the 10 MPPs, most of which are previously undescribed, are expected to provide new understandings of the process of cell division. ..
- Hay J, Klumperman J, Oorschot V, Steegmaier M, Kuo C, Scheller R. Localization, dynamics, and protein interactions reveal distinct roles for ER and Golgi SNAREs. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1489-502 pubmed..The 34-kD syntaxin 5 isoform, membrin, and GOS-28 may function in intraGolgi transport. ..
- Diaz E, Pfeffer S. TIP47: a cargo selection device for mannose 6-phosphate receptor trafficking. Cell. 1998;93:433-43 pubmed..These data suggest that TIP47 binds MPR cytoplasmic domains and facilitates their collection into transport vesicles destined for the Golgi. ..
- Lavoie C, Meerloo T, Lin P, Farquhar M. Calnuc, an EF-hand Ca(2+)-binding protein, is stored and processed in the Golgi and secreted by the constitutive-like pathway in AtT20 cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2462-74 pubmed..Together, these observations indicate that calnuc has a unique itinerary as it is retained in the Golgi and is then constitutively secreted extracellularly where it may influence cell behavior via its Ca(2+)-binding properties. ..
- Seaman M, McCaffery J, Emr S. A membrane coat complex essential for endosome-to-Golgi retrograde transport in yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:665-81 pubmed..Conservation of the yeast retromer complex components in higher eukaryotes suggests an important general role for this complex in endosome-to-Golgi retrieval. ..
- Aridor M, Bannykh S, Rowe T, Balch W. Sequential coupling between COPII and COPI vesicle coats in endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi transport. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:875-93 pubmed..We propose that sequential coupling between COPII and COPI coats is essential to coordinate and direct bi-directional vesicular traffic between the ER and pre-Golgi intermediates involved in transport of protein to the Golgi complex...
- Tisdale E, Balch W. Rab2 is essential for the maturation of pre-Golgi intermediates. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:29372-9 pubmed..The combined results suggest that the NH2 terminus of Rab2 is required for its function and for direct interaction with components of the transport machinery involved in the maturation of pre-Golgi intermediates. ..
- Bannykh S, Rowe T, Balch W. The organization of endoplasmic reticulum export complexes. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:19-35 pubmed
- Rahman A, Kamal A, Roberts E, Goldstein L. Defective kinesin heavy chain behavior in mouse kinesin light chain mutants. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:1277-88 pubmed..Taken together, these data best support models that suggest that KLC1 is essential for proper KHC activation or targeting. ..
- Plutner H, Cox A, Pind S, Khosravi Far R, Bourne J, Schwaninger R, et al. Rab1b regulates vesicular transport between the endoplasmic reticulum and successive Golgi compartments. J Cell Biol. 1991;115:31-43 pubmed..We suggest that rab1b may provide a common link between upstream and downstream components of the vesicular fission and fusion machinery functioning in early compartments of the secretory pathway. ..
- Beck K, Buchanan J, Malhotra V, Nelson W. Golgi spectrin: identification of an erythroid beta-spectrin homolog associated with the Golgi complex. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:707-23 pubmed..These results indicate that the association of beta-spectrin with Golgi membranes is coupled to Golgi organization and function. ..
- Lin P, Li F, Zhang Y, Huang H, Tong G, Farquhar M, et al. Calnuc binds to Alzheimer's beta-amyloid precursor protein and affects its biogenesis. J Neurochem. 2007;100:1505-14 pubmed..Our results suggest a novel function of calnuc in modulating the levels of APP and its proteolytic metabolites, which may further affect the patho/physiological functions of APP including AD pathogenesis. ..
- Steegmaier M, Klumperman J, Foletti D, Yoo J, Scheller R. Vesicle-associated membrane protein 4 is implicated in trans-Golgi network vesicle trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:1957-72 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation of VAMP4 from rat brain detergent extracts revealed that VAMP4 exists in a complex containing syntaxin 6. Converging lines of evidence implicate a role for VAMP4 in TGN-to-endosome transport. ..
- Diaz E, Schimmöller F, Pfeffer S. A novel Rab9 effector required for endosome-to-TGN transport. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:283-90 pubmed..These data are consistent with a model in which p40 and Rab9 act together to drive the process of transport vesicle docking. ..
- Serafini T, Orci L, Amherdt M, Brunner M, Kahn R, Rothman J. ADP-ribosylation factor is a subunit of the coat of Golgi-derived COP-coated vesicles: a novel role for a GTP-binding protein. Cell. 1991;67:239-53 pubmed..These observations strongly suggest a new role for GTP-binding proteins: ARF proteins may modulate vesicle budding and uncoating through controlled GTP hydrolysis. ..
- Fritzler M, Hamel J, Ochs R, Chan E. Molecular characterization of two human autoantigens: unique cDNAs encoding 95- and 160-kD proteins of a putative family in the Golgi complex. J Exp Med. 1993;178:49-62 pubmed..Sequence analysis demonstrated that golgin-95 and golgin-160 share 43% sequence similarity and, therefore, may be functionally related proteins. ..
- Dascher C, Balch W. Dominant inhibitory mutants of ARF1 block endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi transport and trigger disassembly of the Golgi apparatus. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:1437-48 pubmed..These results are discussed in the context of the GDP and GTP-bound forms of ARF in controlling both membrane structure and vesicular traffic through the early secretory pathway. ..
- Higa H, Manzi A, Varki A. O-acetylation and de-O-acetylation of sialic acids. Purification, characterization, and properties of a glycosylated rat liver esterase specific for 9-O-acetylated sialic acids. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:19435-42 pubmed..In view of its interesting substrate specificity, complex N-linked glycan structure, and neutral pH optimum, it is suggested that this enzyme is involved in the regulation of O-acetylation in membrane-bound sialic acids. ..
- Najjar S, Broyart J, Hampp L, Gray G. Intestinal aminooligopeptidase in diabetic BioBreed rat: altered posttranslational processing and trafficking. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2001;280:G104-12 pubmed..Once maximal transport to Golgi was achieved, the residence time in Golgi was shortened in diabetes. This altered processing of the precursor accounted for the altered structure of AOP in diabetes...
- Notterpek L, Shooter E, Snipes G. Upregulation of the endosomal-lysosomal pathway in the trembler-J neuropathy. J Neurosci. 1997;17:4190-200 pubmed..These studies suggest that the TrJ mutation alters myelin stability and that the mutant protein is likely degraded via the lysosomal pathway. ..
- Csukai M, Chen C, De Matteis M, Mochly Rosen D. The coatomer protein beta'-COP, a selective binding protein (RACK) for protein kinase Cepsilon. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29200-6 pubmed..A role for PKC in control of secretion has been previously suggested, but this is the first report of direct protein/protein interaction of PKCepsilon with a protein involved in vesicular trafficking. ..
- Itin C, Rancaño C, Nakajima Y, Pfeffer S. A novel assay reveals a role for soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion attachment protein in mannose 6-phosphate receptor transport from endosomes to the trans Golgi network. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:27737-44 pubmed..Together with alpha-SNAP, NSF can increase the extent of transport. These data show that alpha-SNAP, a soluble component of the SNAP receptor machinery, facilitates transport from endosomes to the trans Golgi network. ..
- Fitch M, Campagnolo L, Kuhnert F, Stuhlmann H. Egfl7, a novel epidermal growth factor-domain gene expressed in endothelial cells. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:316-24 pubmed..We also report the identification of an Egfl7 paralog, Egfl8, and show that EGFL8 protein shares similar domains and molecular weight with EGFL7. ..
- Bock J, Lin R, Scheller R. A new syntaxin family member implicated in targeting of intracellular transport vesicles. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:17961-5 pubmed..The sequence homology, topology, localization, and alpha-SNAP binding suggest that syntaxin 6 is involved in intracellular vesicle trafficking. ..
- Dascher C, Balch W. Mammalian Sly1 regulates syntaxin 5 function in endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi transport. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15866-9 pubmed..These results suggest that rSly1 functions to positively regulate syntaxin 5 function. ..
- Lim S, Chen X, Tomar A, Miller N, Yoo J, Schlaepfer D. Knock-in mutation reveals an essential role for focal adhesion kinase activity in blood vessel morphogenesis and cell motility-polarity but not cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:21526-36 pubmed publisher..This work supports the use of FAK inhibitors to disrupt neovascularization. ..
- Farkas R, Giansanti M, Gatti M, Fuller M. The Drosophila Cog5 homologue is required for cytokinesis, cell elongation, and assembly of specialized Golgi architecture during spermatogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:190-200 pubmed..Our study suggests that Drosophila spermatogenesis can be an effective sensitized genetic system to uncover in vivo functions for proteins involved in Golgi architecture and/or vesicle transport. ..
- Lord C, Bhandari D, Menon S, Ghassemian M, Nycz D, HAY J, et al. Sequential interactions with Sec23 control the direction of vesicle traffic. Nature. 2011;473:181-6 pubmed publisher..These events are conserved in mammalian cells. ..
- Eystathioy T, Jakymiw A, Fujita D, Fritzler M, Chan E. Human autoantibodies to a novel Golgi protein golgin-67: high similarity with golgin-95/gm 130 autoantigen. J Autoimmun. 2000;14:179-87 pubmed..Golgin-67 is thus the smallest member of a growing family of Golgi autoantigens rich in alpha-helical coiled-coil domain. The current hypothesis for the generation of autoimmune antibody to the Golgi complex is discussed. ..
- Hay J, Chao D, Kuo C, Scheller R. Protein interactions regulating vesicle transport between the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus in mammalian cells. Cell. 1997;89:149-58 pubmed..We propose that these protein interactions determine vesicle docking/fusion fidelity between the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi. ..
- Van Wye J, Ghori N, Webster P, Mitschler R, Elmendorf H, Haldar K. Identification and localization of rab6, separation of rab6 from ERD2 and implications for an 'unstacked' Golgi, in Plasmodium falciparum. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1996;83:107-20 pubmed..Hence the Golgi of ring stage parasites may comprise of multiple, 'unstacked' tubulovesicular clusters, suggesting a primitive organization of the organelle in Plasmodia. ..
- Verde I, Pahlke G, Salanova M, Zhang G, Wang S, Coletti D, et al. Myomegalin is a novel protein of the golgi/centrosome that interacts with a cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:11189-98 pubmed..These findings indicate that myomegalin is a novel protein that functions as an anchor to localize components of the cAMP-dependent pathway to the Golgi/centrosomal region of the cell. ..
- Aridor M, Fish K, Bannykh S, Weissman J, Roberts T, Lippincott Schwartz J, et al. The Sar1 GTPase coordinates biosynthetic cargo selection with endoplasmic reticulum export site assembly. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:213-29 pubmed..Our results demonstrate an unanticipated and novel role for Sar1 in linking cargo selection with ER morphogenesis through the generation of transitional tubular ER export sites...
- Grindstaff K, Yeaman C, Anandasabapathy N, Hsu S, Rodriguez Boulan E, Scheller R, et al. Sec6/8 complex is recruited to cell-cell contacts and specifies transport vesicle delivery to the basal-lateral membrane in epithelial cells. Cell. 1998;93:731-40 pubmed..These results indicate that lateral membrane recruitment of the Sec6/8 complex is a consequence of cell-cell adhesion and is essential for the biogenesis of epithelial cell surface polarity. ..
- Peter F, Plutner H, Zhu H, Kreis T, Balch W. Beta-COP is essential for transport of protein from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi in vitro. J Cell Biol. 1993;122:1155-67 pubmed..We suggest that beta-COP functions in an early step during vesicle formation and that rab1B may be recruited as a component of a precoat complex which participates in the export of protein from the ER via vesicular carriers. ..
- Redding K, Brickner J, Marschall L, Nichols J, Fuller R. Allele-specific suppression of a defective trans-Golgi network (TGN) localization signal in Kex2p identifies three genes involved in localization of TGN transmembrane proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:6208-17 pubmed..soi1 mutants also exhibited a recessive defect in vacuolar protein sorting. Suppressor alleles of S0I2 were dominant. These results suggest that the SOI1 and S0I2 genes encode regulators or components of the TLS recognition machinery. ..
- Berglund E, Murai K, Fredette B, Sekerkova G, Marturano B, Weber L, et al. Ataxia and abnormal cerebellar microorganization in mice with ablated contactin gene expression. Neuron. 1999;24:739-50 pubmed..These results demonstrate that contactin controls axonal and dendritic interactions of cerebellar interneurons and contributes to cerebellar microorganization. ..
- Lin P, Yao Y, Hofmeister R, Tsien R, Farquhar M. Overexpression of CALNUC (nucleobindin) increases agonist and thapsigargin releasable Ca2+ storage in the Golgi. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:279-89 pubmed..These results provide direct evidence that CALNUC binds Ca2+ in vivo and together with SERCA and IP3R is involved in establishment of the agonist-mobilizable Golgi Ca2+ store. ..
- Wu C, MacCoss M, Mardones G, Finnigan C, Mogelsvang S, Yates J, et al. Organellar proteomics reveals Golgi arginine dimethylation. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2907-19 pubmed
- Alonso A, Narisawa S, Bogetz J, Tautz L, Hadzic R, Huynh H, et al. VHY, a novel myristoylated testis-restricted dual specificity protein phosphatase related to VHX. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32586-91 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that VHY is an active phosphatase in vitro. We conclude that VHY is a new member of a subgroup of myristoylated VH1-like small dual specificity phosphatases. ..
- Wu X, Steet R, Bohorov O, Bakker J, Newell J, Krieger M, et al. Mutation of the COG complex subunit gene COG7 causes a lethal congenital disorder. Nat Med. 2004;10:518-23 pubmed..These cases represent a new type of CDG in which the molecular defect lies in a protein that affects the trafficking and function of the glycosylation machinery. ..
- Hay J, Hirling H, Scheller R. Mammalian vesicle trafficking proteins of the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:5671-9 pubmed..The distinct localizations of rsec22 and rbet1 may reflect their participation in opposite directions of membrane flow between the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus. ..
- Mangasarian A, Foti M, Aiken C, Chin D, Carpentier J, Trono D. The HIV-1 Nef protein acts as a connector with sorting pathways in the Golgi and at the plasma membrane. Immunity. 1997;6:67-77 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Nef down-regulates CD4 and probably MHC I by physically connecting these receptors with sorting pathways in the Golgi and at the plasma membrane...
- Skrincosky D, Kain R, El Battari A, Exner M, Kerjaschki D, Fukuda M. Altered Golgi localization of core 2 beta-1,6-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase leads to decreased synthesis of branched O-glycans. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:22695-702 pubmed..Furthermore, alteration of Golgi localization renders the chimeric C2GnT much less efficient in synthesizing core 2 branched oligosaccharides, indicating the critical role of orderly subcellular localization of glycosyltransferases. ..
- Ong E, Yeh J, Ding Y, Hindsgaul O, Fukuda M. Expression cloning of a human sulfotransferase that directs the synthesis of the HNK-1 glycan on the neural cell adhesion molecule and glycolipids. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:5190-5 pubmed..The results combined together indicate that the cloned HNK-1ST directs the synthesis of the HNK-1 carbohydrate epitope on both glycoproteins and glycolipids in the nervous tissues. ..
- Kain R, Angata K, Kerjaschki D, Fukuda M. Molecular cloning and expression of a novel human trans-Golgi network glycoprotein, TGN51, that contains multiple tyrosine-containing motifs. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:981-8 pubmed..In contrast, mutated hTGN48 and hTGN46 are no longer retrieved to the TGN. These results strongly suggest that hTGN51 may have a unique function compared with hTGN46 or hTGN48 in shuttling between the cell surface and the TGN. ..
- Yamaguchi N, Fukuda M. Golgi retention mechanism of beta-1,4-galactosyltransferase. Membrane-spanning domain-dependent homodimerization and association with alpha- and beta-tubulins. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:12170-6 pubmed..This association between tubulins and GT suggests a supportive role of the cytoskeleton in the Golgi retention mechanism. ..
- Prekeris R, Yang B, Oorschot V, Klumperman J, Scheller R. Differential roles of syntaxin 7 and syntaxin 8 in endosomal trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3891-908 pubmed..In contrast, syntaxin 8 is likely to function in clathrin-independent vesicular transport and membrane fusion events necessary for protein transport from EEs to LEs. ..
- Stein B, Engleman E. Intracellular processing of the gp160 HIV-1 envelope precursor. Endoproteolytic cleavage occurs in a cis or medial compartment of the Golgi complex. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:2640-9 pubmed..Preliminary data also suggest that gp120 is post-translationally modified by sialylated O-linked oligosaccharides. ..