Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on fungal proteins in Scotland, United Kingdom
Locale: Scotland, United Kingdom
Topic: fungal proteins
- Warbrick E, Glover D. A Drosophila gene encoding a DEAD box RNA helicase can suppress loss of wee1/mik1 function in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;245:654-7 pubmed..It is possible that the RNA helicase described here may regulate entry into mitosis by down regulating the expression of other genes whose activity may be rate-limiting for entry into mitosis. ..
- Lafontaine D, Tollervey D. Synthesis and assembly of the box C+D small nucleolar RNPs. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2650-9 pubmed..Unexpectedly, we found that Nop1p was specifically required for the synthesis and accumulation of box C+D snoRNAs processed from pre-mRNA introns and polycistronic transcripts. ..
- Van Hellemond J, Neuville P, Schwarz R, Matthews K, Mottram J. Isolation of Trypanosoma brucei CYC2 and CYC3 cyclin genes by rescue of a yeast G(1) cyclin mutant. Functional characterization of CYC2. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:8315-23 pubmed..The CRK3 x CYC2ty complex, the first cyclin-dependent kinase complex identified in trypanosomes, was localized by immune fluorescence to the cytoplasm throughout the cell cycle...
- Pereira G, Grueneberg U, Knop M, Schiebel E. Interaction of the yeast gamma-tubulin complex-binding protein Spc72p with Kar1p is essential for microtubule function during karyogamy. EMBO J. 1999;18:4180-95 pubmed..Taken together, these observations suggest that the relocalization of Spc72p within the spindle pole body is the 'landmark' event in the pheromone-induced reorganization of the cytoplasmic microtubules. ..
- Lafontaine D, Tollervey D. Nop58p is a common component of the box C+D snoRNPs that is required for snoRNA stability. RNA. 1999;5:455-67 pubmed..Nop58p is the second common component of the box C+D snoRNPs to be identified and the first to be shown to be required for the stability and for the synthesis of these snoRNAs. ..
- Kinghorn J, Sloan J, Kana n G, Dasilva E, Rouch D, Unkles S. Missense mutations that inactivate the Aspergillus nidulans nrtA gene encoding a high-affinity nitrate transporter. Genetics. 2005;169:1369-77 pubmed publisher..Finally, the study of a strain with a conversion of Trp481 (Tm 12) to a stop codon suggests that all 12 transmembrane domains and/or the C-terminal tail are required for membrane insertion and/or stability of NrtA...
- Hardie D, Carling D, Gamblin S. AMP-activated protein kinase: also regulated by ADP?. Trends Biochem Sci. 2011;36:470-7 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the role of the carbohydrate-binding module on the ? subunit and the mechanisms by which it is activated by drugs and xenobiotics such as metformin and resveratrol. ..
- Gordon C, McGurk G, Wallace M, Hastie N. A conditional lethal mutant in the fission yeast 26 S protease subunit mts3+ is defective in metaphase to anaphase transition. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:5704-11 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequences of both mts3+ and NIN1 show homology to peptide sequences obtained from subunit 14 of the 26 S protease purified from bovine or human cells. ..
- Zhu X, van Pee K, Naismith J. The ternary complex of PrnB (the second enzyme in the pyrrolnitrin biosynthesis pathway), tryptophan, and cyanide yields new mechanistic insights into the indolamine dioxygenase superfamily. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:21126-33 pubmed publisher..This is the first ternary complex with a tryptophan substrate of a member of the tryptophan dioxygenase superfamily and has mechanistic implications...
- Dunleavy E, Pidoux A, Monet M, Bonilla C, Richardson W, Hamilton G, et al. A NASP (N1/N2)-related protein, Sim3, binds CENP-A and is required for its deposition at fission yeast centromeres. Mol Cell. 2007;28:1029-44 pubmed..We propose that one function of Sim3 is to act as an escort that hands off CENP-A(Cnp1) to chromatin assembly factors, allowing its incorporation into centromeric chromatin. ..
- Ekwall K, Nimmo E, Javerzat J, Borgstrøm B, Egel R, Cranston G, et al. Mutations in the fission yeast silencing factors clr4+ and rik1+ disrupt the localisation of the chromo domain protein Swi6p and impair centromere function. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 11):2637-48 pubmed
- Flott S, Rouse J. Slx4 becomes phosphorylated after DNA damage in a Mec1/Tel1-dependent manner and is required for repair of DNA alkylation damage. Biochem J. 2005;391:325-33 pubmed..These results reveal Slx4 as a new target of the Mec1/Tel1 kinases, with a crucial role in DNA repair that is not restricted to the processing of stalled replisomes. ..
- Ayscough K, Eby J, Lila T, Dewar H, Kozminski K, Drubin D. Sla1p is a functionally modular component of the yeast cortical actin cytoskeleton required for correct localization of both Rho1p-GTPase and Sla2p, a protein with talin homology. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:1061-75 pubmed..A homologue of SLA1 was identified in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Despite relatively low overall sequence homology, this gene was able to rescue the temperature sensitivity associated with a deletion of SLA1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Partridge J, Borgstrøm B, Allshire R. Distinct protein interaction domains and protein spreading in a complex centromere. Genes Dev. 2000;14:783-91 pubmed..In contrast, Mis6 coats the inner repeats and central core. tRNA genes demarcate this transition zone. These analyses clearly define two distinct domains within this complex centromere which interact with different proteins. ..
- Barrass J, Beggs J. Splicing goes global. Trends Genet. 2003;19:295-8 pubmed..Here, we discuss the findings and what might be learned from this kind of approach. ..
- Gourlay C, Dewar H, Warren D, Costa R, Satish N, Ayscough K. An interaction between Sla1p and Sla2p plays a role in regulating actin dynamics and endocytosis in budding yeast. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2551-64 pubmed..We propose that Sla2p recruits Sla1p to endocytic sites. Sla1p and its associated protein Pan1p then regulate actin assembly through interactions with Arp2/3 and Arp2/3-activating proteins Abp1p and Las17/Bee1p. ..
- Vass S, Cotterill S, Valdeolmillos A, Barbero J, Lin E, Warren W, et al. Depletion of Drad21/Scc1 in Drosophila cells leads to instability of the cohesin complex and disruption of mitotic progression. Curr Biol. 2003;13:208-18 pubmed..The observation of SA instability in the absence of Drad21 implies that the expression of cohesin subunits and assembly of the cohesin complex will be tightly regulated. ..
- Bousquet Antonelli C, Presutti C, Tollervey D. Identification of a regulated pathway for nuclear pre-mRNA turnover. Cell. 2000;102:765-75 pubmed..We propose that nuclear pre-mRNA turnover represents a novel step in the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Wilkinson C, Ferrell K, Penney M, Wallace M, Dubiel W, Gordon C. Analysis of a gene encoding Rpn10 of the fission yeast proteasome reveals that the polyubiquitin-binding site of this subunit is essential when Rpn12/Mts3 activity is compromised. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:15182-92 pubmed..The Mts3 protein was unable to bind to polyubiquitin in vitro, but the Pus1 and Mts3 proteins were found to bind to one another in vitro, which taken together with the genetic data suggests that they are also closely associated in vivo. ..