Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on endosomes in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications107 found, 100 shown here
- Kwon D, Gregorio G, Bitton N, Hendrickson W, Littman D. DC-SIGN-mediated internalization of HIV is required for trans-enhancement of T cell infection. Immunity. 2002;16:135-44 pubmed..We propose that HIV binds to DC-SIGN to gain access to an intracellular compartment that contributes to augmentation or retention of viral infectivity. ..
- Hall A, Krishnamoorthy L, Orlow S. Accumulation of tyrosinase in the endolysosomal compartment is induced by U18666A. Pigment Cell Res. 2003;16:149-58 pubmed..Our results suggest that tyrosinase, like the NPC1 gene product, traverses a U18666A-sensitive trafficking pathway. ..
- Varma D, Dawn A, Ghosh Roy A, Weil S, Ori McKenney K, Zhao Y, et al. Development and application of in vivo molecular traps reveals that dynein light chain occupancy differentially affects dynein-mediated processes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3493-8 pubmed publisher..Although the described traps offer a method for rapid inhibition of dynein function, the design principle can be extended to other molecular complexes for in vivo studies. ..
- Nixon R. Niemann-Pick Type C disease and Alzheimer's disease: the APP-endosome connection fattens up. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:757-61 pubmed..In this commentary, the common features of endosome dysfunction are reviewed. Emerging evidence that endosome dysfunction may lead to beta-amyloidogenic APP processing or neurodegeneration by several different means is discussed. ..
- Lakkaraju A, Carvajal Gonzalez J, Rodriguez Boulan E. It takes two to tango to the melanosome. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:161-3 pubmed publisher..1083/jcb.200907122) show that a close interaction between the clathrin adaptor AP-1 and a kinesin motor KIF13A is essential for delivering melanogenic enzymes from recycling endosomes to nascent melanosomes and for organelle biogenesis. ..
- Mathur M, Das S, Samuels H. PSF-TFE3 oncoprotein in papillary renal cell carcinoma inactivates TFE3 and p53 through cytoplasmic sequestration. Oncogene. 2003;22:5031-44 pubmed..Thus, PSF-TFE3 is a promising target for the treatment for a subset of renal cell carcinomas. ..
- Grant B, Hirsh D. Receptor-mediated endocytosis in the Caenorhabditis elegans oocyte. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:4311-26 pubmed..We describe a new member of the low-density lipoprotein receptor superfamily, RME-2, identified in our screens for endocytosis defective mutants. We show that RME-2 is the C. elegans yolk receptor. ..
- Mathews P, Guerra C, Jiang Y, Grbovic O, Kao B, Schmidt S, et al. Alzheimer's disease-related overexpression of the cation-dependent mannose 6-phosphate receptor increases Abeta secretion: role for altered lysosomal hydrolase distribution in beta-amyloidogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5299-307 pubmed
- Leventhal A, Chen W, Tall A, Tabas I. Acid sphingomyelinase-deficient macrophages have defective cholesterol trafficking and efflux. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44976-83 pubmed..This model may explain the low plasma high density lipoprotein found in ASM-deficient humans and may implicate L-SMase deficiency and/or sphingomyelin enrichment of lipoproteins as novel atherosclerosis risk factors. ..
- Jouvenet N, Neil S, Bess C, Johnson M, Virgen C, Simon S, et al. Plasma membrane is the site of productive HIV-1 particle assembly. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e435 pubmed..We conclude that HIV-1 assembly is initiated and completed at the PM, and not at endosomal membranes. ..
- Chen F, Gordon R, Ioannou Y. NPC1 late endosomes contain elevated levels of non-esterified ('free') fatty acids and an abnormally glycosylated form of the NPC2 protein. Biochem J. 2005;390:549-61 pubmed..These results suggest that the function of the NPC2 protein may be compromised as well in NPC1 endosomes, which might explain the paradoxical phenotypic similarities of the two NPC disease complementation groups...
- Chen W, Wang N, Tall A. A PEST deletion mutant of ABCA1 shows impaired internalization and defective cholesterol efflux from late endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29277-81 pubmed
- Hao M, Mukherjee S, Sun Y, Maxfield F. Effects of cholesterol depletion and increased lipid unsaturation on the properties of endocytic membranes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14171-8 pubmed
- Ni Komatsu L, Orlow S. Heterologous expression of tyrosinase recapitulates the misprocessing and mistrafficking in oculocutaneous albinism type 2: effects of altering intracellular pH and pink-eyed dilution gene expression. Exp Eye Res. 2006;82:519-28 pubmed..Coexpression of other melanosomal proteins in this heterologous system may further aid our understanding of the details of normal and pathologic processing of melanosomal proteins...
- Carvajal Gonzalez J, Gravotta D, Mattera R, Diaz F, Perez Bay A, Román A, et al. Basolateral sorting of the coxsackie and adenovirus receptor through interaction of a canonical YXXPhi motif with the clathrin adaptors AP-1A and AP-1B. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:3820-5 pubmed publisher..Our study illustrates how two clathrin adaptors direct basolateral trafficking of a plasma membrane protein through interaction with a canonical Yxx? motif. ..
- Kuliawat R, Kalinina E, Bock J, Fricker L, McGraw T, Kim S, et al. Syntaxin-6 SNARE involvement in secretory and endocytic pathways of cultured pancreatic beta-cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1690-701 pubmed
- Moffat L, Robinson R, Bakoulis A, Clark S. The conserved transmembrane RING finger protein PLR-1 downregulates Wnt signaling by reducing Frizzled, Ror and Ryk cell-surface levels in C. elegans. Development. 2014;141:617-28 pubmed publisher..We propose that PLR-1 downregulates Wnt receptor surface levels via lysine ubiquitylation of Frizzled to coordinate spatial and temporal responses to Wnts during neuronal development. ..
- Valdez G, Akmentin W, Philippidou P, Kuruvilla R, Ginty D, Halegoua S. Pincher-mediated macroendocytosis underlies retrograde signaling by neurotrophin receptors. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5236-47 pubmed..Pincher is the first distinguishing molecular component of a novel mechanistic pathway for endosomal signaling in neurons. ..
- Shen B, Rosenberg B, Orlow S. Intracellular distribution and late endosomal effects of the ocular albinism type 1 gene product: consequences of disease-causing mutations and implications for melanosome biogenesis. Traffic. 2001;2:202-11 pubmed..We propose that OA1 is involved in reorganizing the endolysosomal compartment as a necessary step in ocular melanosome biogenesis...
- Gravotta D, Deora A, Perret E, Oyanadel C, Soza A, Schreiner R, et al. AP1B sorts basolateral proteins in recycling and biosynthetic routes of MDCK cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:1564-9 pubmed..TfR utilizes a direct route from Golgi to basolateral membrane that is established as the epithelial monolayer matures. ..
- Hu Y, Chuang J, Xu K, McGraw T, Sung C. SARA, a FYVE domain protein, affects Rab5-mediated endocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4755-63 pubmed..These results collectively suggested that SARA plays an important functional role downstream of Rab5-regulated endosomal trafficking. ..
- Burns M, Gaynor K, Olm V, Mercken M, LaFrancois J, Wang L, et al. Presenilin redistribution associated with aberrant cholesterol transport enhances beta-amyloid production in vivo. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5645-9 pubmed..Our results show that aberrant cholesterol trafficking is associated with the potentiation of APP processing components in vivo, leading to an overall increase in Abeta levels...
- Blot V, McGraw T. Molecular mechanisms controlling GLUT4 intracellular retention. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3477-87 pubmed publisher..The effects of mutating the LL motif and knockdown of AP-1 were not additive, establishing that AP-1 regulation of GLUT4 trafficking requires the LL motif. ..
- Wu J, Herman M, Liu L, Simoes S, Acker C, Figueroa H, et al. Small misfolded Tau species are internalized via bulk endocytosis and anterogradely and retrogradely transported in neurons. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1856-70 pubmed publisher..These data provide support for observations that tauopathy can spread trans-synaptically in vivo, via cell-to-cell transfer...
- Mecozzi V, Berman D, Simoes S, Vetanovetz C, Awal M, Patel V, et al. Pharmacological chaperones stabilize retromer to limit APP processing. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10:443-9 pubmed publisher..These findings show that pharmacological chaperones can enhance the function of a multiprotein complex and may have potential therapeutic implications for neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Paumet F, Rahimian V, Di Liberto M, Rothman J. Concerted auto-regulation in yeast endosomal t-SNAREs. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:21137-43 pubmed..These internal controls provide a potential mechanism to enable SNARE-dependent fusion to be regulated. ..
- Paillart C, Li J, Matthews G, Sterling P. Endocytosis and vesicle recycling at a ribbon synapse. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4092-9 pubmed..The resulting large endosomes bud off small vesicles, which reenter the reserve pool and finally the releasable pool. ..
- Neil S, Eastman S, Jouvenet N, Bieniasz P. HIV-1 Vpu promotes release and prevents endocytosis of nascent retrovirus particles from the plasma membrane. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e39 pubmed..This entrapment leads to subsequent endocytosis by a Rab5a- and clathrin-dependent mechanism and intracellular sequestration of virions in endosomes. ..
- Devenport D, Oristian D, Heller E, Fuchs E. Mitotic internalization of planar cell polarity proteins preserves tissue polarity. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:893-902 pubmed publisher..This underscores the physiological relevance and importance of this mechanism for regulating polarity during cell division. ..
- Yi J, Ori McKenney K, McKenney R, Vershinin M, Gross S, Vallee R. High-resolution imaging reveals indirect coordination of opposite motors and a role for LIS1 in high-load axonal transport. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:193-201 pubmed publisher..Our data also reveal a specific but cell type-restricted role for LIS1 in large vesicular transport and provide the first quantitative support for a general role for LIS1 in high-load dynein functions. ..
- Nonnenmacher M, Weber T. Adeno-associated virus 2 infection requires endocytosis through the CLIC/GEEC pathway. Cell Host Microbe. 2011;10:563-76 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that-unlike the viral entry mechanisms described so far-AAV2 uses the pleiomorphic CLIC/GEEC pathway as its major endocytic infection route. ..
- Barrat F, Elkon K, Fitzgerald K. Importance of Nucleic Acid Recognition in Inflammation and Autoimmunity. Annu Rev Med. 2016;67:323-36 pubmed publisher..We also summarize current efforts to either harness the immune system using agonists of nucleic acid-specific innate sensors or, on the contrary, by using inhibitors in autoimmune situations. ..
- Spence J, Krause T, Mittler E, Jangra R, Chandran K. Direct Visualization of Ebola Virus Fusion Triggering in the Endocytic Pathway. MBio. 2016;7:e01857-15 pubmed publisher..We also uncover an unexpected requirement for host proteases at a step after fusion triggering that may reflect their role in formation of fusion pores for genome delivery. ..
- Frindt G, Gravotta D, Palmer L. Regulation of ENaC trafficking in rat kidney. J Gen Physiol. 2016;147:217-27 pubmed publisher..These results imply that stimulation of ENaC surface expression results at least in part from increased rates of formation of fully processed subunits in the Golgi and subsequent trafficking to the apical membrane. ..
- Mukherjee S, Maxfield F. Lipid and cholesterol trafficking in NPC. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1685:28-37 pubmed..We also discuss some potential therapeutic directions being suggested by recent research. ..
- Shen B, Samaraweera P, Rosenberg B, Orlow S. Ocular albinism type 1: more than meets the eye. Pigment Cell Res. 2001;14:243-8 pubmed..Understanding the function of OA1 will contribute greatly to our understanding of melanosome biogenesis and the role of pigmentation in visual development...
- Staleva L, Orlow S. Ocular albinism 1 protein: trafficking and function when expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Exp Eye Res. 2006;82:311-8 pubmed..Oa1 behaved as G protein coupled receptor in a yeast-based GPCR signalling assay. Extracts of cultured melanocytes, and, in particular, a particulate fraction from cultured melanocytes, stimulated Oa1-mediated GPCR signalling. ..
- Leopold P, Crystal R. Intracellular trafficking of adenovirus: many means to many ends. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2007;59:810-21 pubmed..This review summarizes the classical adenovirus infection pathway along with the exceptions to that trafficking pathway, providing an overview of intracellular trafficking of adenovirus...
- Adachi S, Nagao T, To S, Joe A, Shimizu M, Matsushima Nishiwaki R, et al. (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate causes internalization of the epidermal growth factor receptor in human colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:1986-93 pubmed publisher..This sequestrating of inactivated EGFRs into endosomes may explain, at least in part, the ability of EGCG to inhibit activation of the EGFR and thereby exert anticancer effects. ..
- Bao G, Clifton M, Hoette T, Mori K, Deng S, Qiu A, et al. Iron traffics in circulation bound to a siderocalin (Ngal)-catechol complex. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:602-9 pubmed publisher..These results identify an endogenous siderophore, which may link the disparate roles of Scn-Ngal in different diseases. ..
- Xu L, Lubkov V, Taylor L, Bar Sagi D. Feedback regulation of Ras signaling by Rabex-5-mediated ubiquitination. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1372-7 pubmed publisher..These findings define new elements in the regulatory circuitry that link Ras compartmentalization to signaling output. ..
- O Leary R, Reilly J, Hanson H, Kang S, Lou N, Phillips G. A variable cytoplasmic domain segment is necessary for ?-protocadherin trafficking and tubulation in the endosome/lysosome pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4362-72 pubmed publisher..This active VCD segment contains residues that are conserved in Pcdh-?A and Pcdh-?B subfamilies. Thus the VCDs of Pcdh-?s mediate interactions critical for Pcdh-? trafficking. ..
- Yi J, Khobrekar N, Dantas T, Zhou J, Vallee R. Imaging of motor-dependent transport in neuronal and nonneuronal cells at high spatial and temporal resolution. Methods Cell Biol. 2016;131:453-65 pubmed publisher..We discuss long-term inhibition, as well as short-term inhibition methods when needed to minimize complications from motor protein interactions. ..
- Pipalia N, Subramanian K, Mao S, Ralph H, Hutt D, Scott S, et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitors correct the cholesterol storage defect in most Niemann-Pick C1 mutant cells. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:695-708 pubmed publisher..The mutant NPC1 did not significantly reduce cholesterol accumulation, but approximately 85% of the mutants showed reduced cholesterol accumulation when treated with vorinostat or panobinostat. ..
- Zhang Y, Grant B, Hirsh D. RME-8, a conserved J-domain protein, is required for endocytosis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2011-21 pubmed..RME-8 homologues are found in multicellular organisms from plants to humans but not in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. These sequence homologies suggest that RME-8 fulfills a conserved function in multicellular organisms. ..
- Larkin J, Coleman H, Espinosa A, Levenson A, Park M, Woo B, et al. Intracellular accumulation of pIgA-R and regulators of transcytotic trafficking in cholestatic rat hepatocytes. Hepatology. 2003;38:1199-209 pubmed
- Taylor G, Hanson P, Kielian M. Ubiquitin depletion and dominant-negative VPS4 inhibit rhabdovirus budding without affecting alphavirus budding. J Virol. 2007;81:13631-9 pubmed..In contrast, SFV budding was independent of both ubiquitin and the activity of VPS4, perhaps reflecting the important role of the highly organized envelope protein lattice during alphavirus budding. ..
- Perez Bay A, Schreiner R, Mazzoni F, Carvajal Gonzalez J, Gravotta D, Perret E, et al. The kinesin KIF16B mediates apical transcytosis of transferrin receptor in AP-1B-deficient epithelia. EMBO J. 2013;32:2125-39 pubmed publisher..They define a transcytotic pathway important for the physiology of native AP-1B-deficient epithelia and report the first microtubule motor involved in transcytosis...
- Sotgia F, Bonuccelli G, Bedford M, Brancaccio A, Mayer U, Wilson M, et al. Localization of phospho-beta-dystroglycan (pY892) to an intracellular vesicular compartment in cultured cells and skeletal muscle fibers in vivo. Biochemistry. 2003;42:7110-23 pubmed
- Scott C, Higgins M, Davies J, Ioannou Y. Targeting of NPC1 to late endosomes involves multiple signals, including one residing within the putative sterol-sensing domain. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48214-23 pubmed
- Chen J, Zhu Z, Gershon A, Gershon M. Mannose 6-phosphate receptor dependence of varicella zoster virus infection in vitro and in the epidermis during varicella and zoster. Cell. 2004;119:915-26 pubmed..Biopsies from VZV-infected human skin supported the idea that because MPRci expression is naturally lost in maturing superficial epidermal cells, these cells do not divert VZV to endosomes and constitutively secrete infectious VZV. ..
- Potolicchio I, Carven G, Xu X, Stipp C, Riese R, Stern L, et al. Proteomic analysis of microglia-derived exosomes: metabolic role of the aminopeptidase CD13 in neuropeptide catabolism. J Immunol. 2005;175:2237-43 pubmed..Microglial exosomal vesicles may represent an important, previously unrecognized, cellular communication system in an organ in which cell motility is highly restricted. ..
- Iaea D, Mao S, Lund F, Maxfield F. Role of STARD4 in sterol transport between the endocytic recycling compartment and the plasma membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1111-1122 pubmed publisher..This study shows that nonvesicular sterol transport mechanisms and STARD4 in particular account for a large fraction of sterol transport between the plasma membrane and the ERC. ..
- Luo W, Chang A. Novel genes involved in endosomal traffic in yeast revealed by suppression of a targeting-defective plasma membrane ATPase mutant. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:731-46 pubmed..Thus, cell surface delivery of mutant Pma1 can occur as a consequence of disturbances at several different sites in the endosomal system. ..
- Higgins M, Davies J, Chen F, Ioannou Y. Niemann-Pick C1 is a late endosome-resident protein that transiently associates with lysosomes and the trans-Golgi network. Mol Genet Metab. 1999;68:1-13 pubmed..These data suggest that U18666A may inhibit the retrograde transport of NPC1 from lysosomes to late endosomes for subsequent transfer to the trans-Golgi network. ..
- Chen W, Sun Y, Welch C, Gorelik A, Leventhal A, Tabas I, et al. Preferential ATP-binding cassette transporter A1-mediated cholesterol efflux from late endosomes/lysosomes. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43564-9 pubmed..These results suggest that cholesterol deposited in late endosomes/lysosomes preferentially acts as a source of cholesterol for ABCA1-mediated cholesterol efflux...
- Martin Serrano J, Zang T, Bieniasz P. HIV-1 and Ebola virus encode small peptide motifs that recruit Tsg101 to sites of particle assembly to facilitate egress. Nat Med. 2001;7:1313-9 pubmed publisher..Because the Tsg101 is recruited by small, conserved viral sequence motifs, agents that mimic these structures are potential inhibitors of the replication of these lethal human pathogens...
- Bivona T, Wiener H, Ahearn I, Silletti J, Chiu V, Philips M. Rap1 up-regulation and activation on plasma membrane regulates T cell adhesion. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:461-70 pubmed..These observations may explain some of the biological differences between these GTPases. ..
- Kanzaki M, Furukawa M, Raab W, Pessin J. Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate regulates adipocyte actin dynamics and GLUT4 vesicle recycling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:30622-33 pubmed..In adipocytes, altered PI(4,5)P2 metabolism has marked effects on GLUT4 endocytosis and intracellular vesicle trafficking due to the derangement of actin dynamics. ..
- Qian C, Zhang Q, Wang X, Zeng L, Farooq A, Zhou M. Structure of the adaptor protein p14 reveals a profilin-like fold with distinct function. J Mol Biol. 2005;347:309-21 pubmed..We further mapped the MP1 binding sites on p14 by NMR, and discuss the implications of these important findings on the possible function of p14. ..
- Eguez L, Lee A, Chavez J, Miinea C, Kane S, Lienhard G, et al. Full intracellular retention of GLUT4 requires AS160 Rab GTPase activating protein. Cell Metab. 2005;2:263-72 pubmed..Our findings that AS160 knockdown only partially releases basal GLUT4 retention provides evidence that insulin signals to GLUT4 exocytosis by both AS160-dependent and -independent mechanisms. ..
- de Souza N, Vallier L, Fares H, Greenwald I. SEL-2, the C. elegans neurobeachin/LRBA homolog, is a negative regulator of lin-12/Notch activity and affects endosomal traffic in polarized epithelial cells. Development. 2007;134:691-702 pubmed..Our results also suggest that sel-2 activity may contribute to the appropriate steady-state level of LIN-12 or to trafficking events that affect receptor activation. ..
- Bao L, Hadjiolova K, Coetzee W, Rindler M. Endosomal KATP channels as a reservoir after myocardial ischemia: a role for SUR2 subunits. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;300:H262-70 pubmed publisher..In cardiac myocytes, this pool can potentially play a cardioprotective role by serving as a reservoir for modulating surface K(ATP) channel density under stress conditions, such as myocardial ischemia...
- Tan S, Scherer J, Vallee R. Recruitment of dynein to late endosomes and lysosomes through light intermediate chains. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:467-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, using a variety of complementary approaches, our results indicate a novel specific role for the LICs in dynein recruitment to components of the late endocytic pathway. ..
- Lin G, Aranda V, Muthuswamy S, Tonks N. Identification of PTPN23 as a novel regulator of cell invasion in mammary epithelial cells from a loss-of-function screen of the 'PTP-ome'. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1412-25 pubmed publisher..In addition, our studies highlight functional specificity among PTPs and reveal new roles for PTPs in mammary epithelial cell biology. ..
- Grbovic O, Mathews P, Jiang Y, Schmidt S, Dinakar R, Summers Terio N, et al. Rab5-stimulated up-regulation of the endocytic pathway increases intracellular beta-cleaved amyloid precursor protein carboxyl-terminal fragment levels and Abeta production. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31261-8 pubmed..Our findings in this model system suggest that the endosomal pathology seen at the earliest stage of sporadic AD may contribute to APP proteolysis along a beta-amyloidogenic pathway. ..
- Zak O, Aisen P. Iron release from transferrin, its C-lobe, and their complexes with transferrin receptor: presence of N-lobe accelerates release from C-lobe at endosomal pH. Biochemistry. 2003;42:12330-4 pubmed..The possibility that the faster release in the receptor complex of the full-length protein at endosomal pH contributes to the evolutionary advantage of the bilobal structure is considered. ..
- Lin S, Mallet W, Huang A, Maxfield F. Endocytosed cation-independent mannose 6-phosphate receptor traffics via the endocytic recycling compartment en route to the trans-Golgi network and a subpopulation of late endosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:721-33 pubmed..These data demonstrate that CI-MPR takes a complex route that involves multiple sorting steps in both early and late endosomes. ..
- Scott C, Ioannou Y. The NPC1 protein: structure implies function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1685:8-13 pubmed
- Huckaba T, Gay A, Pantalena L, Yang H, Pon L. Live cell imaging of the assembly, disassembly, and actin cable-dependent movement of endosomes and actin patches in the budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:519-30 pubmed..Our studies support a mechanism whereby actin cables serve as "conveyor belts" for retrograde movement and delivery of actin patches/endosomes to FM4-64-labeled internal compartments. ..
- Blankenship J, Fuller M, Zallen J. The Drosophila homolog of the Exo84 exocyst subunit promotes apical epithelial identity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3099-110 pubmed..These results suggest that epithelial polarity in the Drosophila embryo is actively maintained by exocyst-dependent apical localization of the Crumbs transmembrane protein. ..
- Walter M, Chen F, Tamari F, Wang R, Ioannou Y. Endosomal lipid accumulation in NPC1 leads to inhibition of PKC, hypophosphorylation of vimentin and Rab9 entrapment. Biol Cell. 2009;101:141-52 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a previously unappreciated interaction between Rab proteins and intermediate filaments in regulating intracellular lipid transport. ..
- Boysen J, Subramanian S, Mitchell A. Intervention of Bro1 in pH-responsive Rim20 localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:532-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, endosomal association of Rim20 is not sufficient to promote Rim101 activation. ..
- Scharf B, Clement C, Wu X, Morozova K, Zanolini D, Follenzi A, et al. Annexin A2 binds to endosomes following organelle destabilization by particulate wear debris. Nat Commun. 2012;3:755 pubmed publisher..Together, the results indicate a functional role of annexin A2 binding to endosomal membranes following organelle destabilization. ..
- Park J, Okumura Y, Tachikawa H, Neiman A. SPO71 encodes a developmental stage-specific partner for Vps13 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1530-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, the two proteins can be coprecipitated from sporulating cells. We propose that Spo71 is a sporulation-specific partner for Vps13 and that they act in concert to regulate prospore membrane morphogenesis. ..
- Scherer J, Yi J, Vallee R. PKA-dependent dynein switching from lysosomes to adenovirus: a novel form of host-virus competition. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:163-77 pubmed publisher..This arrangement provides a novel means to fine tune transport of these organelles in response to infection as well as to developmental and physiological cues. ..
- Kim S, Sato Y, Mohan P, Peterhoff C, Pensalfini A, Rigoglioso A, et al. Evidence that the rab5 effector APPL1 mediates APP-Î²CTF-induced dysfunction of endosomes in Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:707-16 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that persistent rab5 overactivation through Î²CTF-APPL1 interactions constitutes a novel APP-dependent pathogenic pathway in AD. ..
- Grant B, Zhang Y, Paupard M, Lin S, Hall D, Hirsh D. Evidence that RME-1, a conserved C. elegans EH-domain protein, functions in endocytic recycling. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:573-9 pubmed..These studies show a conserved function in endocytic recycling for the RME-1 family of EH proteins. ..
- Walter M, Davies J, Ioannou Y. Telomerase immortalization upregulates Rab9 expression and restores LDL cholesterol egress from Niemann-Pick C1 late endosomes. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:243-53 pubmed..These results suggest the existence of alternative endogenous therapeutic targets that can be modulated to reverse the NPC1 disease phenotype. ..
- Rodriguez Gabin A, Ortiz E, Demoliner K, Si Q, Almazan G, Larocca J. Interaction of Rab31 and OCRL-1 in oligodendrocytes: its role in transport of mannose 6-phosphate receptors. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:589-604 pubmed publisher..The importance of our observations is highlighted by the fact that mutation of OCRL-1 causes demyelination in humans. ..
- Zhou S, Davidson C, McGlynn R, Stephney G, Dobrenis K, Vanier M, et al. Endosomal/lysosomal processing of gangliosides affects neuronal cholesterol sequestration in Niemann-Pick disease type C. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:890-902 pubmed publisher..These studies provide further evidence that NPC1 and NPC2 proteins participate in endosomal/lysosomal processing of both sphingolipids and cholesterol. ..
- Dale B, McNerney G, Thompson D, Hubner W, de Los Reyes K, Chuang F, et al. Cell-to-cell transfer of HIV-1 via virological synapses leads to endosomal virion maturation that activates viral membrane fusion. Cell Host Microbe. 2011;10:551-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, HIV particle maturation activates viral fusion in target CD4+ T cell endosomes following transfer across the VS and may represent a pathway by which HIV evades antibody neutralization...
- Gravotta D, Carvajal Gonzalez J, Mattera R, Deborde S, Banfelder J, Bonifacino J, et al. The clathrin adaptor AP-1A mediates basolateral polarity. Dev Cell. 2012;22:811-23 pubmed publisher..The basolateral sorting function of AP-1A reported here establishes AP-1 as a major regulator of epithelial polarity. ..
- Sung C, Leroux M. The roles of evolutionarily conserved functional modules in cilia-related trafficking. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:1387-97 pubmed publisher..These components are, however, ancient, having been co-opted by the ancestral eukaryote to establish the ciliary organelle, and their study can inform us about ciliary biology in higher organisms. ..
- Clancy R, Markham A, Buyon J. Endosomal Toll-like receptors in clinically overt and silent autoimmunity. Immunol Rev. 2016;269:76-84 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) use by asymptomatic subjects which may forestall the clinical expression of autoimmunity. ..