Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Illinois, United States
Locale: Illinois, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Holley S, Jackson P, Sasai Y, Lu B, De Robertis E, Hoffmann F, et al. A conserved system for dorsal-ventral patterning in insects and vertebrates involving sog and chordin. Nature. 1995;376:249-53 pubmed..We show that dpp can promote ventral fates in Xenopus, and that injection of sog mRNA counteracts the ventralizing effects of dpp. These results suggest the molecular conservation of dorsoventral patterning mechanisms during evolution. ..
- Duman Scheel M, Li X, Orlov I, Noll M, Patel N. Genetic separation of the neural and cuticular patterning functions of gooseberry. Development. 1997;124:2855-65 pubmed..In contrast to epidermal patterning, where Gsb is required to maintain wg transcription, we find that Gsb antagonizes the Wg signal that confers neuroblast (NB) 4-2 fate. ..
- Kimura Y, Rutherford S, Miyata Y, Yahara I, Freeman B, Yue L, et al. Cdc37 is a molecular chaperone with specific functions in signal transduction. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1775-85 pubmed..Thus, the very similar chaperone activities of the two proteins, uncovered through in vitro analysis, diverge in vivo in specific signal transduction pathways. ..
- Palopoli M, Patel N. Evolution of the interaction between Hox genes and a downstream target. Curr Biol. 1998;8:587-90 pubmed..We suggest that the regulatory interaction between the BX-C genes and Dll has evolved within the hexapods in a complex, segment-specific manner. ..
- Llopart A, Elwyn S, Coyne J. Pigmentation and mate choice in Drosophila. Nature. 2002;419:360; discussion 360 pubmed..Here we show that the mate discrimination observed by Kopp et al. may in fact have resulted from the nature of the strains and comparisons they used in their study and so could be irrelevant to mate choice in nature. ..
- Nicolay B, Frolov M. Context-dependent requirement for dE2F during oncogenic proliferation. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000205 pubmed publisher..Thus, we uncovered a critical requirement for the dE2F family during inappropriate proliferation of Hippo pathway mutant cells. ..
- Garfinkel M, Wang J, Liang Y, Mahowald A. Multiple products from the shavenbaby-ovo gene region of Drosophila melanogaster: relationship to genetic complexity. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:6809-18 pubmed..1-kb mRNAs suggests that the Ovo and Svb proteins share DNA-binding specificity conferred by four Cys2-His2 zinc finger motifs but differ functionally in their capacity to interact with other components of the transcription machinery. ..
- Maitra S, Kulikauskas R, Gavilan H, Fehon R. The tumor suppressors Merlin and Expanded function cooperatively to modulate receptor endocytosis and signaling. Curr Biol. 2006;16:702-9 pubmed..We propose that these proteins control proliferation by regulating the abundance, localization, and turnover of cell-surface receptors and that misregulation of these processes may be a key component of tumorigenesis. ..
- Dubreuil R, MacVicar G, Dissanayake S, Liu C, Homer D, Hortsch M. Neuroglian-mediated cell adhesion induces assembly of the membrane skeleton at cell contact sites. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:647-55 pubmed..Thus, neuroglian appears to be activated by extracellular adhesion so that ankyrin and the membrane skeleton selectively associate with sites of cell contact and not with other regions of the plasma membrane. ..
- Holley S, Neul J, Attisano L, Wrana J, Sasai Y, O Connor M, et al. The Xenopus dorsalizing factor noggin ventralizes Drosophila embryos by preventing DPP from activating its receptor. Cell. 1996;86:607-17 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanistic basis for the action of Spemann's organizer during Xenopus development and provide further support for the conservation of dorsal-ventral patterning mechanisms between arthropods and chordates. ..
- Fang S, Takahashi A, Wu C. A mutation in the promoter of desaturase 2 is correlated with sexual isolation between Drosophila behavioral races. Genetics. 2002;162:781-4 pubmed..These two behavioral races appear to be at the incipient stage of speciation. The desaturase 2 mutation may be one of the many loci underlying the behavioral differences between the two races. ..
- Goode S, Morgan M, Liang Y, Mahowald A. Brainiac encodes a novel, putative secreted protein that cooperates with Grk TGF alpha in the genesis of the follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 1996;178:35-50 pubmed..Our genetic data suggest that brn acts in a parallel, but partially overlapping pathway to the Grk-Egfr signaling pathway. The brn pathway may help to provide specificity to TGF alpha -Egfr function during oogenesis. ..
- Le Poole I, Sarangarajan R, Zhao Y, Stennett L, Brown T, Sheth P, et al. 'VIT1', a novel gene associated with vitiligo. Pigment Cell Res. 2001;14:475-84 pubmed..Expression of ORF mRNA was confirmed for multiple skin cell types, suggesting its importance for skin physiology. ..
- Podos S, Hanson K, Wang Y, Ferguson E. The DSmurf ubiquitin-protein ligase restricts BMP signaling spatially and temporally during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Cell. 2001;1:567-78 pubmed..After gastrulation, DSmurf mutations cause a temporal delay in downregulation of earlier DPP signals, resulting in a lethal defect in hindgut organogenesis. ..
- Snook R, Cleland S, Wolfner M, Karr T. Offsetting effects of Wolbachia infection and heat shock on sperm production in Drosophila simulans: analyses of fecundity, fertility and accessory gland proteins. Genetics. 2000;155:167-78 pubmed..Given these results, the roles Wolbachia and heat shock play in mediating male gamete production may be important parameters for understanding the dynamics of infection in natural populations...
- Welte M, Duncan I, Lindquist S. The basis for a heat-induced developmental defect: defining crucial lesions. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2240-50 pubmed..Our results provide a novel explanation for a heat-induced developmental defect. Perturbations in relative amounts of important regulatory proteins may be a common mechanism by which heat-shock phenocopies arise. ..
- Neul J, Ferguson E. Spatially restricted activation of the SAX receptor by SCW modulates DPP/TKV signaling in Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning. Cell. 1998;95:483-94 pubmed..We propose that spatial regulation of the SAX pathway modulates TKV signaling to create positional information over the embryonic ectoderm. ..
- Dubreuil R, Maddux P, Grushko T, MacVicar G. Segregation of two spectrin isoforms: polarized membrane-binding sites direct polarized membrane skeleton assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1933-42 pubmed..The results support a model in which the membrane skeleton behaves as a transducer of positional information within cells. ..