Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
Publications474 found, 100 shown here
- Chan S, Popperl H, Krumlauf R, Mann R. An extradenticle-induced conformational change in a HOX protein overcomes an inhibitory function of the conserved hexapeptide motif. EMBO J. 1996;15:2476-87 pubmed
- Duvernell D, Eanes W. Contrasting molecular population genetics of four hexokinases in Drosophila melanogaster, D. simulans and D. yakuba. Genetics. 2000;156:1191-201 pubmed..D. simulans shows substantial linkage phase structuring that suggests historical population subdivision...
- Drier E, Tello M, Cowan M, Wu P, Blace N, Sacktor T, et al. Memory enhancement and formation by atypical PKM activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Neurosci. 2002;5:316-24 pubmed..Finally, induction of DaPKM after training also enhanced memory. These results show that atypical PKM is sufficient to enhance memory in Drosophila and suggest that it is necessary for normal memory maintenance. ..
- Stern M, Aihara H, Cho K, Kim G, Horiguchi G, Roccaro G, et al. Structurally related Arabidopsis ANGUSTIFOLIA is functionally distinct from the transcriptional corepressor CtBP. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:759-69 pubmed..We therefore propose to categorize AN as a subfamily member within the CtBP/BARS/RIBEYE/AN superfamily. ..
- Bothe I, Deng S, Baylies M. PI(4,5)P2 regulates myoblast fusion through Arp2/3 regulator localization at the fusion site. Development. 2014;141:2289-301 pubmed publisher..Thus, PI(4,5)P2 enrichment at the fusion site encodes spatial and temporal information that regulates fusion progression through the localization of activators of actin polymerization. ..
- Keller A, Vosshall L. Decoding olfaction in Drosophila. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003;13:103-10 pubmed..Future experiments in Drosophila may permit a direct test of this odor-coding hypothesis. ..
- Shen B, Manley J. Phosphorylation modulates direct interactions between the Toll receptor, Pelle kinase and Tube. Development. 1998;125:4719-28 pubmed..These and other results allow us to propose a model by which multiple phosphorylation-regulated interactions between these three proteins lead to activation of the Dorsal signaling pathway. ..
- Vosshall L, Wong A, Axel R. An olfactory sensory map in the fly brain. Cell. 2000;102:147-59 pubmed..The insect brain therefore retains a two-dimensional map of receptor activation such that the quality of an odor may be encoded by different spatial patterns of activity in the antennal lobe. ..
- Starz Gaiano M, Cho N, Forbes A, Lehmann R. Spatially restricted activity of a Drosophila lipid phosphatase guides migrating germ cells. Development. 2001;128:983-91 pubmed..We propose that spatially restricted phospholipid hydrolysis creates a gradient of signal necessary and specific for the migration and survival of germ cells. ..
- Hwang K, Eissenberg J, Worman H. Transcriptional repression of euchromatic genes by Drosophila heterochromatin protein 1 and histone modifiers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:11423-7 pubmed..These data provide genetic evidence that an HP1-family protein represses the expression of euchromatic genes in a metazoan, and that histone modifiers cooperate with HP1 in euchromatic gene repression. ..
- Rollins R, Korom M, Aulner N, Martens A, Dorsett D. Drosophila nipped-B protein supports sister chromatid cohesion and opposes the stromalin/Scc3 cohesion factor to facilitate long-range activation of the cut gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3100-11 pubmed..To explain these findings, we propose a model based on the chromatin domain boundary activities of Cohesin in which Nipped-B facilitates cut activation by alleviating Cohesin-mediated blocking of enhancer-promoter communication. ..
- Zirin J, Mann R. Differing strategies for the establishment and maintenance of teashirt and homothorax repression in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2004;131:5683-93 pubmed..Thus, despite their overall similar expression patterns, tsh and hth repression in the wing disc is controlled by two very different mechanisms. ..
- Denli A, Tops B, Plasterk R, Ketting R, Hannon G. Processing of primary microRNAs by the Microprocessor complex. Nature. 2004;432:231-5 pubmed..Considered together, these results indicate a role for Pasha in miRNA maturation and miRNA-mediated gene regulation. ..
- Boettner B, Van Aelst L. The Rap GTPase activator Drosophila PDZ-GEF regulates cell shape in epithelial migration and morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:7966-80 pubmed..We propose that dPDZ-GEF-dependent signaling functions as a rheostat linking Rap activity to the regulation of cell shape in epithelial morphogenesis at different developmental stages. ..
- Zhao X, Feng D, Wang Q, Abdulla A, Xie X, Zhou J, et al. Regulation of lipogenesis by cyclin-dependent kinase 8-mediated control of SREBP-1. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:2417-27 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that CDK8 and CycC function as evolutionarily conserved components of the insulin signaling pathway in regulating lipid homeostasis. ..
- Smith C, DeLotto R. A common domain within the proenzyme regions of the Drosophila snake and easter proteins and Tachypleus proclotting enzyme defines a new subfamily of serine proteases. Protein Sci. 1992;1:1225-6 pubmed
- Sehgal A, Price J, Man B, Young M. Loss of circadian behavioral rhythms and per RNA oscillations in the Drosophila mutant timeless. Science. 1994;263:1603-6 pubmed..Genetic mapping places tim on the left arm of the second chromosome between dumpy (dp) and decapentaplegic (dpp). ..
- Freiman R, Herr W. Viral mimicry: common mode of association with HCF by VP16 and the cellular protein LZIP. Genes Dev. 1997;11:3122-7 pubmed..The LZIP-related Drosophila protein BBF-2/dCREB-A contains this HCF-binding motif, indicating that the LZIP-HCF interaction has been conserved during metazoan evolution. ..
- Henriksen M, Betz A, Fuccillo M, Darnell J. Negative regulation of STAT92E by an N-terminally truncated STAT protein derived from an alternative promoter site. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2379-89 pubmed..We therefore conclude that the short form of STAT92E is a naturally occurring dominant-negative product that can be added to the growing list of negative regulators of STAT activity. ..
- Weisbrot D, Lin H, Ye L, Blank M, Goodman R. Effects of mobile phone radiation on reproduction and development in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biochem. 2003;89:48-55 pubmed
- Schroeder M, Pearce M, Fak J, Fan H, Unnerstall U, Emberly E, et al. Transcriptional control in the segmentation gene network of Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E271 pubmed..The study demonstrates that computational methods are a powerful complement to experimental approaches in the analysis of transcription networks. ..
- Haynes C, Oldfield C, Ji F, Klitgord N, Cusick M, Radivojac P, et al. Intrinsic disorder is a common feature of hub proteins from four eukaryotic interactomes. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e100 pubmed..The results of this study demonstrate that intrinsic structural disorder is a distinctive and common characteristic of eukaryotic hub proteins, and that disorder may serve as a determinant of protein interactivity. ..
- Bach E, Ekas L, Ayala Camargo A, Flaherty M, Lee H, Perrimon N, et al. GFP reporters detect the activation of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway in vivo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:323-31 pubmed..These reporters are valuable tools to further investigate and understand the role of JAK/STAT signaling in Drosophila. ..
- Manu -, Surkova S, Spirov A, Gursky V, Janssens H, Kim A, et al. Canalization of gene expression in the Drosophila blastoderm by gap gene cross regulation. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000049 pubmed publisher..More generally, we show that the complex multigenic phenomenon of canalization can be understood at a quantitative and predictive level by the application of a precise dynamical model...
- Emelyanov A, Konev A, Vershilova E, Fyodorov D. Protein complex of Drosophila ATRX/XNP and HP1a is required for the formation of pericentric beta-heterochromatin in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15027-37 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence for essential biological functions of Drosophila ATRX in vivo and establish ATRX as a major determinant of pericentric beta-heterochromatin identity. ..
- Zamparini A, Davis M, Malone C, Vieira E, Zavadil J, Sachidanandam R, et al. Vreteno, a gonad-specific protein, is essential for germline development and primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:4039-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vret plays an essential role in transposon regulation at an early stage of primary piRNA processing. ..
- Wells B, Johnston L. Maintenance of imaginal disc plasticity and regenerative potential in Drosophila by p53. Dev Biol. 2012;361:263-76 pubmed publisher..These findings place p53 in a role as master coordinator of DNA and tissue repair following IR. ..
- Noro B, Lelli K, Sun L, Mann R. Competition for cofactor-dependent DNA binding underlies Hox phenotypic suppression. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2327-32 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Hox-specific motifs endow posterior Hox proteins with the ability to dominate over more anterior ones via a cofactor-dependent DNA-binding mechanism. ..
- Hsu Y, Fuchs E. A family business: stem cell progeny join the niche to regulate homeostasis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2012;13:103-14 pubmed publisher..As progeny are often located in close proximity to stem cell niches, similar feedback regulations may be the underlying principles shared by different stem cell systems. ..
- Gault W, Olguin P, Weber U, Mlodzik M. Drosophila CK1-?, gilgamesh, controls PCP-mediated morphogenesis through regulation of vesicle trafficking. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:605-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that polarized Rab11-mediated vesicle trafficking regulated by CK1-? is required for PCP-directed processes. ..
- Mancebo R, Lo P, Mount S. Structure and expression of the Drosophila melanogaster gene for the U1 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle 70K protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:2492-502 pubmed
- Lissemore J, Baumgardner C, Geer B, Sullivan D. Effect of dietary carbohydrates and ethanol on expression of genes encoding sn-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, aldolase, and phosphoglycerate kinase in Drosophila larvae. Biochem Genet. 1990;28:615-30 pubmed
- Amrein H, Hedley M, Maniatis T. The role of specific protein-RNA and protein-protein interactions in positive and negative control of pre-mRNA splicing by Transformer 2. Cell. 1994;76:735-46 pubmed..These results demonstrate that both protein-RNA and protein-protein interactions are involved in tra2-dependent activation and repression of alternative splicing. ..
- Greenwald I. LIN-12/Notch signaling: lessons from worms and flies. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1751-62 pubmed
- Walker J, Lee K, Desai R, Erickson J. The Drosophila melanogaster sex determination gene sisA is required in yolk nuclei for midgut formation. Genetics. 2000;155:191-202 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first report of a requirement for the yolk nuclei in Drosophila development. ..
- Yang D, Lu H, Hong Y, Jinks T, Estes P, Erickson J. Interpretation of X chromosome dose at Sex-lethal requires non-E-box sites for the basic helix-loop-helix proteins SISB and daughterless. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1581-92 pubmed..Comparisons with other dose-sensitive promoters suggest that threshold responses to diverse biological signals have common molecular mechanisms, with important variations tailored to suit particular functional requirements. ..
- Martinek S, Inonog S, Manoukian A, Young M. A role for the segment polarity gene shaggy/GSK-3 in the Drosophila circadian clock. Cell. 2001;105:769-79 pubmed..Our results indicate a role for SGG/GSK-3 in TIMELESS phosphorylation and in the regulated nuclear translocation of the PERIOD/TIMELESS heterodimer. ..
- Spirov A, Holloway D. Making the body plan: precision in the genetic hierarchy of Drosophila embryo segmentation. In Silico Biol. 2003;3:89-100 pubmed..e. evidence against simple concentration gradient reading. We also find that fractional errors in concentration increase during cleavage cycle 14. ..
- Broughton S, Tully T, Greenspan R. Conditioning deficits of CaM-kinase transgenic Drosophila melanogaster in a new excitatory courtship assay. J Neurogenet. 2003;17:91-102 pubmed..The poor performance of these mutants in the new excitatory conditioning procedure confirms that their conditioning deficit results from a disruption of an associative mechanism per se. ..
- Yan K, Yan S, Farooq A, Han A, Zeng L, Zhou M. Structure and conserved RNA binding of the PAZ domain. Nature. 2003;426:468-74 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that PAZ domains from different human Argonaute proteins also bind RNA, establishing a conserved function for this domain. ..
- Jaeger J, Blagov M, Kosman D, Kozlov K, Manu -, Myasnikova E, et al. Dynamical analysis of regulatory interactions in the gap gene system of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:1721-37 pubmed..Finally, our models suggest a correlation between timing of gap domain boundary formation and regulatory contributions from the terminal maternal system...
- Matzkin L, Merritt T, Zhu C, Eanes W. The structure and population genetics of the breakpoints associated with the cosmopolitan chromosomal inversion In(3R)Payne in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2005;170:1143-52 pubmed publisher..The overall pattern of polymorphism is consistent with a recent origin of In(3R)P, on the order of Ne generations. The identification of these breakpoint sequences permits a simple PCR-based screen for In(3R)P...
- Dollar G, Weber U, Mlodzik M, Sokol S. Regulation of Lethal giant larvae by Dishevelled. Nature. 2005;437:1376-80 pubmed..These findings suggest a molecular basis for the regulation of cell polarity by Frizzled and Dishevelled. ..
- Asztalos Z, Baba K, Yamamoto D, Tully T. The fickle mutation of a cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase effects sensitization but not dishabituation in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 2007;21:59-71 pubmed..Our study reveals a "genetic dissection" of sensitization and dishabituation and, for the first time, provides a biological confirmation of the two opponent process theory of habituation. ..
- Estella C, Mann R. Logic of Wg and Dpp induction of distal and medial fates in the Drosophila leg. Development. 2008;135:627-36 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we present a model for how Dpp and Wg, which are present as dorsal and ventral gradients, respectively, induce nearly circular domains of gene expression along the PD axis. ..
- Peng H, Slattery M, Mann R. Transcription factor choice in the Hippo signaling pathway: homothorax and yorkie regulation of the microRNA bantam in the progenitor domain of the Drosophila eye imaginal disc. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2307-19 pubmed publisher..In the eye disc, Hth and Tsh provide spatial information to this pathway, promoting cell proliferation and survival in the progenitor domain. ..
- Morante J, Erclik T, Desplan C. Cell migration in Drosophila optic lobe neurons is controlled by eyeless/Pax6. Development. 2011;138:687-93 pubmed publisher..These defects in cell migration among medulla cortex cells can be rescued by removing DE-Cadherin. Thus, eyeless links neurogenesis and neuronal migration. ..
- Smibert P, Miura P, Westholm J, Shenker S, May G, Duff M, et al. Global patterns of tissue-specific alternative polyadenylation in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2012;1:277-89 pubmed..Altogether, we reveal broad tissue-specific patterns of APA in Drosophila and transcripts with unprecedented 3' UTR length in the nervous system. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. The role of the bHLH protein hairy in morphogenetic furrow progression in the developing Drosophila eye. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47503 pubmed publisher..These findings question whether hairy is an important regulator of the progression of retinal differentiation in Drosophila, alone or redundantly with extramacrochaete. ..
- Hamilton P, Belovich A, Khelashvili G, Saunders C, Erreger K, Javitch J, et al. PIP2 regulates psychostimulant behaviors through its interaction with a membrane protein. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10:582-589 pubmed publisher..We present what is to our knowledge the first demonstration of how PIP2 interactions with a membrane protein can regulate the behaviors of complex organisms. ..
- Suisse A, He D, Legent K, Treisman J. COP9 signalosome subunits protect Capicua from MAPK-dependent and -independent mechanisms of degradation. Development. 2017;144:2673-2682 pubmed publisher..As a suppressor of tumor growth and metastasis, Capicua may be an important target of the COP9 signalosome in cancer. ..
- Bolger G, Michaeli T, Martins T, St John T, Steiner B, Rodgers L, et al. A family of human phosphodiesterases homologous to the dunce learning and memory gene product of Drosophila melanogaster are potential targets for antidepressant drugs. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:6558-71 pubmed..Each of the four genes demonstrated a distinctive pattern of expression in RNA from human cell lines. ..
- Chen C, Struhl G. Wingless transduction by the Frizzled and Frizzled2 proteins of Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:5441-52 pubmed..These results extend prior evidence of a ligand-receptor relationship between Wnt and Frizzled proteins and suggest that Fz and Fz2 are the primary receptors for Wg in Drosophila. ..
- Mollereau B, Wernet M, Beaufils P, Killian D, Pichaud F, Kühnlein R, et al. A green fluorescent protein enhancer trap screen in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. Mech Dev. 2000;93:151-60 pubmed..These genes had not been reported to be expressed in the adult eye. These examples clearly show the ability of our screen to target genes expressed in the adult Drosophila eye. ..
- Lehmann R. Cell migration in invertebrates: clues from border and distal tip cells. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2001;11:457-63 pubmed..Finally, Dock180, CrkII and the GTPase Rac link the extracellular signals to the cellular machinery that controls cell motility. ..
- Lee J, Amanai K, Shearn A, Treisman J. The ubiquitin ligase Hyperplastic discs negatively regulates hedgehog and decapentaplegic expression by independent mechanisms. Development. 2002;129:5697-706 pubmed..hyperplastic discs encodes a HECT domain E3 ubiquitin ligase that is likely to act by targeting Cubitus interruptus and an unknown activator of hedgehog expression for proteolysis. ..
- Staeva Vieira E, Yoo S, Lehmann R. An essential role of DmRad51/SpnA in DNA repair and meiotic checkpoint control. EMBO J. 2003;22:5863-74 pubmed..We therefore propose that under normal conditions a second, Rad51-independent, repair pathway prevents the lethal effects of DNA damage. ..
- Rivas F, Tolia N, Song J, Aragon J, Liu J, Hannon G, et al. Purified Argonaute2 and an siRNA form recombinant human RISC. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:340-9 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that Argonaute proteins catalyze mRNA cleavage within RISC and provide a source of recombinant enzyme for detailed biochemical studies of the RNAi effector complex...
- Jenny A, Reynolds Kenneally J, Das G, Burnett M, Mlodzik M. Diego and Prickle regulate Frizzled planar cell polarity signalling by competing for Dishevelled binding. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:691-7 pubmed..Strikingly, Diego and Prickle compete with one another for Dishevelled binding, thereby modulating Frizzled/Dishevelled activity and ensuring tight control over Frizzled PCP signalling. ..
- Mika S, Rost B. Protein-protein interactions more conserved within species than across species. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e79 pubmed..More comprehensive images of protein-protein networks will require the combination of many high-throughput methods, including in silico inferences and predictions. http://www.rostlab.org/results/2006/ppi_homology/ ..
- Okada T, You L, Giancotti F. Shedding light on Merlin's wizardry. Trends Cell Biol. 2007;17:222-9 pubmed..Here, we review these recent findings and their relevance to the tumor suppressor function of Merlin. ..
- Smelkinson M, Zhou Q, Kalderon D. Regulation of Ci-SCFSlimb binding, Ci proteolysis, and hedgehog pathway activity by Ci phosphorylation. Dev Cell. 2007;13:481-95 pubmed..We also show that when Ci proteolysis is compromised, its specific activity is limited principally by Su(fu), and not by Cos2 cytoplasmic tethering or PKA phosphorylation. ..
- del Alamo D, Mlodzik M. Self-modulation of Notch signaling during ommatidial development via the Roughened eye transcriptional repressor. Development. 2008;135:2895-904 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that Roe acts as a transcriptional repressor in a negative-feedback loop of the N pathway. ..
- Yukilevich R, True J. African morphology, behavior and phermones underlie incipient sexual isolation between us and Caribbean Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution. 2008;62:2807-28 pubmed publisher..These results imply that Caribbean mating preferences are likely to be based on African traits and that even at such early stages of sexual isolation, individuals may already cue in on several traits simultaneously during mate choice. ..
- Gonsalves F, DasGupta R. Function of the wingless signaling pathway in Drosophila. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;469:115-25 pubmed publisher..This chapter presents a brief overview on the functions of wingless signaling during development of Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Acehan D, Malhotra A, Xu Y, Ren M, Stokes D, Schlame M. Cardiolipin affects the supramolecular organization of ATP synthase in mitochondria. Biophys J. 2011;100:2184-92 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that cardiolipin promotes the ribbonlike assembly of ATP synthase dimers and thus affects lateral organization and morphology of the crista membrane. ..
- Fu S, Yang Y, Das T, Tirtha D, Yen Y, Zhou B, et al. ?-H2AX kinetics as a novel approach to high content screening for small molecule radiosensitizers. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38465 pubmed publisher..MS0019266 and MS0017509 are promising compounds that may be candidates for further development as radiosensitizing compounds as inhibitors of ribonucleotide reductase. ..
- Wu J, Roman A, Carvajal Gonzalez J, Mlodzik M. Wg and Wnt4 provide long-range directional input to planar cell polarity orientation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:1045-55 pubmed publisher..They affect PCP by modulating the intercellular interaction between Fz and Vang, which is thought to be a key step in setting up initial polarity, thus providing directionality to the PCP process. ..
- Jukam D, Xie B, Rister J, TERRELL D, Charlton Perkins M, Pistillo D, et al. Opposite feedbacks in the Hippo pathway for growth control and neural fate. Science. 2013;342:1238016 pubmed publisher..Altering feedback architecture provides an efficient mechanism to co-opt conserved signaling networks for diverse purposes in development and evolution. ..
- Guo Z, Ohlstein B. Stem cell regulation. Bidirectional Notch signaling regulates Drosophila intestinal stem cell multipotency. Science. 2015;350: pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a conserved role for Notch in Drosophila and mammalian ISC maintenance and suggest that bidirectional Notch signaling may regulate multipotency in other systems. ..
- Levine B, Cagan R. Drosophila Lung Cancer Models Identify Trametinib plus Statin as Candidate Therapeutic. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1477-1487 pubmed publisher..Our work supports and provides further context for exploring the potential of combining statins with MAPK inhibitors such as trametinib to improve overall therapeutic index. ..
- Carvajal Gonzalez J, Roman A, Mlodzik M. Positioning of centrioles is a conserved readout of Frizzled planar cell polarity signalling. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11135 pubmed publisher..Together with vertebrate data, these results suggest a unifying model of centriole/cilia positioning as a common downstream effect of PCP signalling from flies to mammals. ..
- Lymer S, Blau J. Do Flies Count Sheep or NMDA Receptors to Go to Sleep?. Cell. 2016;165:1310-1311 pubmed publisher..Now, Liu et al. show that the plasticity of a small group of neurons in the Drosophila central brain is a key component of the sleep homeostat. ..
- ..Reporting in Science, Corson et al. (2017) apply innovative analysis to an old problem of bristle patterns in Drosophila, reducing the nonlinear interactions among tens of cells to a succinct model with quantitative predictions. ..
- Huang J, Reilein A, Kalderon D. Yorkie and Hedgehog independently restrict BMP production in escort cells to permit germline differentiation in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2017;144:2584-2594 pubmed publisher..Thus, both the coupling and output of the Hh and Yki signaling pathways differ between FSCs and ECs despite their proximity and the fact that FSCs give rise directly to ECs. ..
- Han K, Levine M, Manley J. Synergistic activation and repression of transcription by Drosophila homeobox proteins. Cell. 1989;56:573-83 pubmed
- Hazelrigg T, Tu C. Sex-specific processing of the Drosophila exuperantia transcript is regulated in male germ cells by the tra-2 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:10752-6 pubmed
- Ye Q, Worman H. Interaction between an integral protein of the nuclear envelope inner membrane and human chromodomain proteins homologous to Drosophila HP1. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:14653-6 pubmed..LBR can interact with chromodomain proteins that are highly conserved in eukaryotic species and may function in the attachment of heterochromatin to the inner nuclear membrane in cells. ..
- Collins R, Furukawa T, Tanese N, Treisman J. Osa associates with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex and promotes the activation of some target genes. EMBO J. 1999;18:7029-40 pubmed..We show evidence that some Brahma-containing complexes do not contain Osa and that Osa is not required to localize Brahma to chromatin. These data suggest that Osa modulates the function of the Brahma complex. ..
- Betz A, Lampen N, Martinek S, Young M, Darnell J. A Drosophila PIAS homologue negatively regulates stat92E. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:9563-8 pubmed..To this end we use a LOF allele and conditionally overexpressed dpias in JAK-STAT pathway mutant backgrounds. We conclude that the correct dpias/stat92E ratio is crucial for blood cell and eye development. ..
- Okamura K, Phillips M, Tyler D, Duan H, Chou Y, Lai E. The regulatory activity of microRNA* species has substantial influence on microRNA and 3' UTR evolution. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:354-63 pubmed publisher..These data broaden the reach of the miRNA regulatory network and suggest an important mechanism that diversifies miRNA function during evolution. ..
- Okamura K, Chung W, Ruby J, Guo H, Bartel D, Lai E. The Drosophila hairpin RNA pathway generates endogenous short interfering RNAs. Nature. 2008;453:803-6 pubmed publisher..These novel regulatory RNAs reveal unexpected complexity in the sorting of small RNAs, and open a window onto the biological usage of endogenous RNA interference in Drosophila. ..
- Fabrizio J, Hickey C, Stabrawa C, Meytes V, Hutter J, Talbert C, et al. Imp (IGF-II mRNA-binding protein) is expressed during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:47-52 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest a role for Imp in the male germline during both spermatid elongation and premeiotic spermatogenesis. ..
- Yapici N, Cohn R, Schusterreiter C, Ruta V, Vosshall L. A Taste Circuit that Regulates Ingestion by Integrating Food and Hunger Signals. Cell. 2016;165:715-29 pubmed publisher..Similar mechanisms for monitoring and regulating ingestion may exist in vertebrates. ..
- Ayer S, Benyajati C. Conserved enhancer and silencer elements responsible for differential Adh transcription in Drosophila cell lines. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:3512-23 pubmed..Evolutionary conservation in distantly related Drosophila species suggests the importance of these upstream elements in correct developmental and tissue-specific expression of ADH. ..
- Stephenson E, Chao Y, Fackenthal J. Molecular analysis of the swallow gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Genes Dev. 1988;2:1655-65 pubmed..We have confirmed an earlier finding that the localization of bicoid message is defective in swallow- oocytes and eggs. ..
- Currie P, Sullivan D. Structure and expression of the gene encoding phosphofructokinase (PFK) in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24679-87 pubmed..Deficiency analysis of the 46D/E region has identified a lethal complementation group associated with reduced PFK activity, thereby establishing the vital role of PFK function in Drosophila. ..