Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila in New Jersey, United States
Locale: New Jersey, United States
- Hagstrom K, Schedl P. Remembrance of things past: maintaining gene expression patterns with altered chromatin. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:814-21 pubmed..These studies suggest that, after gene activity states are selected during development, maintenance protein complexes provide a molecular memory of those states by altering a local domain of chromatin structure. ..
- Bhat K, Poole S, Schedl P. The miti-mere and pdm1 genes collaborate during specification of the RP2/sib lineage in Drosophila neurogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:4052-63 pubmed..Our results indicate that both genes are required for the normal development of this lineage and that the two collaborate during the specification of GMC-1 identity. ..
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Lantz V, Chang J, Horabin J, Bopp D, Schedl P. The Drosophila orb RNA-binding protein is required for the formation of the egg chamber and establishment of polarity. Genes Dev. 1994;8:598-613 pubmed..It then functions in the differentiation of the oocyte and is required for the three-dimensional reorganization of the germ cells in the cyst as well as for the establishment of normal germ-line-soma interactions in the egg chamber. ..
- Roth S, Neuman Silberberg F, Barcelo G, Sch pbach T. cornichon and the EGF receptor signaling process are necessary for both anterior-posterior and dorsal-ventral pattern formation in Drosophila. Cell. 1995;81:967-78 pubmed
- Nilson L, Schupbach T. Localized requirements for windbeutel and pipe reveal a dorsoventral prepattern within the follicular epithelium of the Drosophila ovary. Cell. 1998;93:253-62 pubmed
- Hawkins N, Thorpe J, Schupbach T. Encore, a gene required for the regulation of germ line mitosis and oocyte differentiation during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:281-90 pubmed..We argue that these two phenotypes produced by mutations in encore represent two independent requirements for encore during oogenesis. ..
- Roth S. Axis determination. Proteolytic generation of a morphogen. Curr Biol. 1994;4:755-7 pubmed..Ventral activation of a transmembrane receptor, Toll, is a crucial step in dorsoventral axis establishment in Drosophila embryos. The ventral ligand for Toll seems to be a proteolytic fragment of the Spätzle protein. ..
- Johnston S, Rauskolb C, Wilson R, Prabhakaran B, Irvine K, Vogt T. A family of mammalian Fringe genes implicated in boundary determination and the Notch pathway. Development. 1997;124:2245-54 pubmed..When misexpressed in the developing Drosophila wing imaginal disc the mouse Fringe genes exhibit conserved and differential effects on boundary determination. ..
- Govind S, Drier E, Huang L, Steward R. Regulated nuclear import of the Drosophila rel protein dorsal: structure-function analysis. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:1103-14 pubmed..This nuclear localization signal is not required for Cactus binding. Removal of the N-terminal 40 amino acids abolished the nuclear import of Dorsal, uncovering a potentially novel function for this highly conserved region. ..
- Coulter D, Wieschaus E. Gene activities and segmental patterning in Drosophila: analysis of odd-skipped and pair-rule double mutants. Genes Dev. 1988;2:1812-23 pubmed..We conclude that the requirements of pattern elements for specific gene activities are not absolute, and propose mechanisms by which these genes interact to specify cell fates. ..
- Riggleman B, Wieschaus E, Schedl P. Molecular analysis of the armadillo locus: uniformly distributed transcripts and a protein with novel internal repeats are associated with a Drosophila segment polarity gene. Genes Dev. 1989;3:96-113 pubmed..Considering these results and previous genetic observations, we discuss potential roles for the arm gene in pattern formation processes. ..
- Ahmed Y, Hayashi S, Levine A, Wieschaus E. Regulation of armadillo by a Drosophila APC inhibits neuronal apoptosis during retinal development. Cell. 1998;93:1171-82 pubmed..Uncoupling of these two Arm-induced processes suggests a novel role for the Arm/dTCF complex in the activation of apoptosis. ..
- Grosshans J, Wieschaus E. A genetic link between morphogenesis and cell division during formation of the ventral furrow in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;101:523-31 pubmed..When overexpressed in a microinjection assay, Tribbles directly inhibits mitosis. We propose that Frühstart and Tribbles form a link between the morphogenetic movements and mitotic control. ..
- Crucs S, Chatterjee S, Gavis E. Overlapping but distinct RNA elements control repression and activation of nanos translation. Mol Cell. 2000;5:457-67 pubmed..The identification of separate but overlapping recognition motifs for translational repressors and localization factors provides a molecular mechanism for the switch between translational repression and activation...
- Hollocher H, Agopian K, Waterbury J, O Neill R, Davis A. Characterization of defects in adult germline development and oogenesis of sterile and rescued female hybrids in crosses between Drosophila simulans and Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Zool. 2000;288:205-18 pubmed
- Goodliffe J, Wieschaus E, Cole M. Polycomb mediates Myc autorepression and its transcriptional control of many loci in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2941-6 pubmed..Our results suggest a novel relationship between Myc and Polycomb, wherein Myc enhances Polycomb repression in order to repress targets, and Myc suppresses Polycomb repression in order to activate targets. ..
- Rose L, Wieschaus E. The Drosophila cellularization gene nullo produces a blastoderm-specific transcript whose levels respond to the nucleocytoplasmic ratio. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1255-68 pubmed..The regulation of nullo RNA levels during cycle 14, however, is coupled to the nucleocytoplasmic ratio, which also controls the cessation of rapid, synchronous mitosis just before cellularization...
- Greenwald I, Rubin G. Making a difference: the role of cell-cell interactions in establishing separate identities for equivalent cells. Cell. 1992;68:271-81 pubmed
- Cole S, Mao M, Johnston S, Vogt T. Identification, expression analysis, and mapping of B3galt6, a putative galactosyl transferase gene with similarity to Drosophila brainiac. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:177-9 pubmed
- Gupta T, Schupbach T. Two signals are better than one: border cell migration in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2001;1:443-5 pubmed..Evidence presented shows that PDGFR signaling directs border cell migration via Rac and the Rac activator Mbc/CED-5/Dock180. ..
- Denef N, Schupbach T. Patterning: JAK-STAT signalling in the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R388-90 pubmed..During Drosophila oogenesis the follicular epithelium becomes subdivided into distinct cell populations. New reports have established that the Janus kinase (JAK) signalling pathway plays an important role in this process. ..
- Horabin J, Bopp D, Waterbury J, Schedl P. Selection and maintenance of sexual identity in the Drosophila germline. Genetics. 1995;141:1521-35 pubmed..We also show that the primary target for the somatic signaling pathway in germ cells can not be the Sex-lethal gene. ..
- Rauskolb C, Peifer M, Wieschaus E. extradenticle, a regulator of homeotic gene activity, is a homolog of the homeobox-containing human proto-oncogene pbx1. Cell. 1993;74:1101-12 pubmed..These studies support the view that exd acts with the selector homeodomain proteins as a DNA-binding transcription factor, thereby altering their regulation of downstream target genes. ..
- Wieschaus E, Perrimon N, Finkelstein R. orthodenticle activity is required for the development of medial structures in the larval and adult epidermis of Drosophila. Development. 1992;115:801-11 pubmed..These results suggest that the otd gene product is required to specify medial cell fates in both the larval and adult epidermis. ..
- Costa M, Wilson E, Wieschaus E. A putative cell signal encoded by the folded gastrulation gene coordinates cell shape changes during Drosophila gastrulation. Cell. 1994;76:1075-89 pubmed..Our analyses indicate that cell-cell communication ensures the rapid, orderly progression of constriction initiations from the middle of invagination primordia out toward the margins. ..
- Bernstein M, Cline T. Differential effects of Sex-lethal mutations on dosage compensation early in Drosophila development. Genetics. 1994;136:1051-61 pubmed
- Irvine K, Wieschaus E. fringe, a Boundary-specific signaling molecule, mediates interactions between dorsal and ventral cells during Drosophila wing development. Cell. 1994;79:595-606 pubmed..These observations suggest that fringe encodes a boundary-specific cell-signaling molecule that is responsible for dorsal-ventral cell interactions during wing development. ..
- Bollag R, Siegfried Z, Cebra Thomas J, Garvey N, Davison E, Silver L. An ancient family of embryonically expressed mouse genes sharing a conserved protein motif with the T locus. Nat Genet. 1994;7:383-9 pubmed..Phylogenetic analysis suggests that at least three T-box genes were present in the common ancestor to vertebrates and invertebrates. Thus, members of the T-box family could have played a role in the evolution of all metazoan organisms. ..
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila dorsoventral patterning gene gurken produces a dorsally localized RNA and encodes a TGF alpha-like protein. Cell. 1993;75:165-74 pubmed..We propose that the dorsal localization of grk RNA results in a spatially restricted ligand that asymmetrically activates the receptor. ..
- Kellum R, Schedl P. A position-effect assay for boundaries of higher order chromosomal domains. Cell. 1991;64:941-50 pubmed
- Riggleman B, Schedl P, Wieschaus E. Spatial expression of the Drosophila segment polarity gene armadillo is posttranscriptionally regulated by wingless. Cell. 1990;63:549-60 pubmed..Two other segment polarity genes, porcupine and dishevelled, are required for this effect. We also show that arm protein is closely associated with the plasma membrane in virtually all cell types and often colocalizes with F-actin. ..
- Suter B, Romberg L, Steward R. Bicaudal-D, a Drosophila gene involved in developmental asymmetry: localized transcript accumulation in ovaries and sequence similarity to myosin heavy chain tail domains. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1957-68 pubmed..The predicted protein contains several extended amphipathic helices, and its similarity to myosin heavy chain tails, paramyosin, and kinesin suggests a similar type of coiled-coil protein interaction. ..
- Das A, Shah S, Fan B, Paik D, DiSanto D, Hinman A, et al. Spindle Assembly and Chromosome Segregation Requires Central Spindle Proteins in Drosophila Oocytes. Genetics. 2016;202:61-75 pubmed publisher..In combination our results support a model where the meiotic central spindle and associated proteins are essential for acentrosomal chromosome segregation. ..
- Clifford R, Schupbach T. The torpedo (DER) receptor tyrosine kinase is required at multiple times during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1992;115:853-72 pubmed..During late embryogenesis, torpedo may mediate the reception of a second signal which regulates ventral epidermal cell differentiation. ..
- Udvardy A, Schedl P. Chromatin structure, not DNA sequence specificity, is the primary determinant of topoisomerase II sites of action in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:4973-84 pubmed..We suggest that chromatin organization may provide a general mechanism for generating specificity in a wide range of DNA-protein interactions in vivo. ..
- Berry A, Ajioka J, Kreitman M. Lack of polymorphism on the Drosophila fourth chromosome resulting from selection. Genetics. 1991;129:1111-7 pubmed..By simulation, we estimate there to be a 50% chance that the selective sweeps occurred within the past 30,000 years in D. melanogaster and 75,000 in D. simulans...
- McDonald J, Kreitman M. Adaptive protein evolution at the Adh locus in Drosophila. Nature. 1991;351:652-4 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these excess replacement substitutions result from adaptive fixation of selectively advantageous mutations...
- Clark I, Wyckoff D, Gavis E. Synthesis of the posterior determinant Nanos is spatially restricted by a novel cotranslational regulatory mechanism. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1311-4 pubmed..Thus, synthesis of ectopic Nos protein is inhibited by a novel regulatory mechanism that does not involve a stable arrest of the translation cycle. ..
- Bell L, Horabin J, Schedl P, Cline T. Positive autoregulation of sex-lethal by alternative splicing maintains the female determined state in Drosophila. Cell. 1991;65:229-39 pubmed..We conclude that the female determined state is maintained by Sxl through positive autoregulation, while the male determined state is maintained by default. ..
- Peifer M, Wieschaus E. The segment polarity gene armadillo encodes a functionally modular protein that is the Drosophila homolog of human plakoglobin. Cell. 1990;63:1167-76 pubmed..We present a possible model for the cellular role of arm. ..
- Welte M, Gross S, Postner M, Block S, Wieschaus E. Developmental regulation of vesicle transport in Drosophila embryos: forces and kinetics. Cell. 1998;92:547-57 pubmed..Mutations in klar also affect nuclear migration during eye development, suggesting multiple roles for klar-based transport. ..
- Vincent A, Blankenship J, Wieschaus E. Integration of the head and trunk segmentation systems controls cephalic furrow formation in Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:3747-54 pubmed
- Bhat K, Schedl P. Requirement for engrailed and invected genes reveals novel regulatory interactions between engrailed/invected, patched, gooseberry and wingless during Drosophila neurogenesis. Development. 1997;124:1675-88 pubmed..Our results also indicate that Hh is not the only ligand for Ptc and similarly Ptc is not the only receptor for Hh. ..
- Wieschaus E. Embryonic transcription and the control of developmental pathways. Genetics. 1996;142:5-10 pubmed
- Bejsovec A, Wieschaus E. Segment polarity gene interactions modulate epidermal patterning in Drosophila embryos. Development. 1993;119:501-17 pubmed
- Schejter E, Wieschaus E. bottleneck acts as a regulator of the microfilament network governing cellularization of the Drosophila embryo. Cell. 1993;75:373-85 pubmed..The expression pattern and mutant phenotype of bnk suggest a direct role for this element in regulation of the dynamic restructuring of the actin-based cytoskeleton of cellularizing Drosophila embryos. ..